PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 HD problem

SeVeN
Jul 22, 2007, 11:38 PM
my sister just recently bought an iBook from another employee at her work. its the 1.2GHz 512RAM 30GB, but its only got like 7 gigs available. the only programs its got that doesnt come with it is, frostwire, office and senuti. when she first looked at it, it had some music in iTunes but all the songs are gone. anyone have any ideas? like hidden files or something

:apple:

iBookG4user
Jul 22, 2007, 11:39 PM
Use whatsize (http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/) to see what is taking how much hard drive space.

SeVeN
Jul 22, 2007, 11:41 PM
well i had her use Disk Invetory X, and she couldnt really see anything wrong. BTW shes using Tiger.

siurpeeman
Jul 22, 2007, 11:41 PM
i suggest doing a clean re-install. i couldn't use a computer with another person's files. re-installing the original software should also free up plenty of space.

well i had her use Disk Invetory X, and she couldnt really see anything wrong. BTW shes using Tiger.

the fact that she's using tiger shouldn't mean that it takes up any more space than, say, panther.

iBookG4user
Jul 22, 2007, 11:42 PM
i suggest doing a clean re-install. i couldn't use a computer with another person's files. re-installing the original software should also free up plenty of space.

I agree, a reinstall would be best.

iToaster
Jul 22, 2007, 11:45 PM
Clean install, that's the best way... assuming it came with everything. If not, wait till leopard or just go buy some Tiger. Or the hard way: weed through everything.

SeVeN
Jul 22, 2007, 11:45 PM
ok so i guess when the iBook was new it came with Panther right? but its been upgraded to Tiger, but the dude doesnt have the Tiger disc, its in Germany with his brother :cool:

siurpeeman
Jul 22, 2007, 11:49 PM
ok so i guess when the iBook was new it came with Panther right? but its been upgraded to Tiger, but the dude doesnt have the Tiger disc, its in Germany with his brother :cool:

if you look carefully enough, you can find tiger dvds for relatively cheap (ebay (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=mac+os+x+tiger&category0=), perhaps?. it might not be worth it, though, with leopard's release coming this october.

iBookG4user
Jul 22, 2007, 11:50 PM

You could find a Tiger install disc here on MacRumors pretty cheaply. But if you want the space back, then you'll have to do a reinstall.

SeVeN
Jul 22, 2007, 11:53 PM
she used WhatSize, still couldnt find anything wrong. what about reinstalling to Panther? would it let you downgrade like that?

siurpeeman
Jul 22, 2007, 11:54 PM
she used WhatSize, still couldnt find anything wrong. what about reinstalling to Panther? would it let you downgrade like that?

yes, but would you really want to downgrade to panther? no spotlight. that's good enough a reason for me to keep tiger.

iBookG4user
Jul 22, 2007, 11:54 PM

Yeah it will, just do a erase and install and it'll install panther just fine.

SeVeN
Jul 23, 2007, 12:19 AM
shes gonna take it to an Apple store to find out whats wrong