PDA

View Full Version : Please help with PowerBook decision...


justinf77
Jul 25, 2003, 10:24 AM
Hi everyone. I need a little help deciding what to do with my PowerBook purchase, and this seems to be the perfect place to ask. Let me update you on my situation:

I sold my 15" Ti GigaBook for about $2150. I really did like the machine, but the casing felt a bit flimsy. I also sold it because I really wanted the durability of an AlBook and included BlueTooth. I am going to school in London for a year with occasional breaks in between, and want something that will last me about 2-3 years.

I mainly use my computer for web, email, and MS Office. I also like to watch DVDs on it. I use it for keeping track and touching up digital photos with iPhoto, and in the future intend to buy a DV camera to edit video and burn some DVDs with it. I am also going to be doing a lot of travelling, so portability is important, as is expense, so I am ruling out the 17".

This leads me with a few options:

- Buy the current 12" PowerBook maxed out from Appple with my ADC discount.

- Wait for Revision B of the 12" PowerBook and buy that maxed out.

- Wait for the elusive 15" AlBook, configured for my needs. Approx. $2200 with ADC discount I would bet.

If I go with the 12" PowerBook, I will need to buy an external display, as 12" is too small for my main machine. But being in London, I would need to buy two, one for here and one for London, due to differences in power standards. With the 15", I would have no problem using that as my main screen.

I go to London on 9/11 (ya I know), and am having trouble making this decision. If I wait and order the PowerBook from London, to use my ADC discount it will need to be shipped to the US (I think) and I will have to have my parents ship it over there (approx $80 I think).

So, knowing all of these factors, can you MacRumors folks help me out with this decision... Right now I am leaning towards the new 15" AlBook and using my current iBook 700mhz G3 until purchase time. Thanks so much!

PS - I need BlueTooth because I will be getting a BT phone and using it as my main organizer for school. Thanks!

idea_hamster
Jul 25, 2003, 10:41 AM
I would have to recommend against the current 12" PB.

You'll suffer the drop from gigabit to 10/100 ethernet (unless you'll have a slower connection in London, anyway).

And if you're looking forward to DV work, the no-L3 cache, small screen, VGA-not-DVI, and max 640 MB RAM are going to weigh on you.

Between the yet-to-be-seen 12" revision and the yet-to-be-seen 15" AL-yoo-MIN-ee-um (as they say across the pond) PB, I think that if you wait, it will become obvious.

jxyama
Jul 25, 2003, 11:43 AM
i'd wait for the 15, but also make sure you'll be able to get hold of something before you leave. if 15 comes out in mid-August (pure speculation, just an example) and won't be shipping for a week or two, you are cutting it pretty tight...

since you already got rid of a Ti, i assume getting an "old" Ti is not an option..?

i wouldn't be so sure about the monitor power supply. our lab has a viewsonic 19" LCD and the power supply is rated for world use. (find the voltage rating... if it's for 110 V, then it's u.s. only, if it says 100 to 240 V, then it's ok anywhere in the world.) all i would need to use this in europe is a plug adapter (not a voltage converter) since you will be plugging it into a computer, i think video standards (PAL/NTSC/SECAM, etc.) won't be an issue...