PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 Problems

mikol
Jul 23, 2007, 10:54 AM
I have a Powerbook G4 12" that i bought in the fall of 2004 (not even three years yet). The other day i was using it, and got up to go from my office to my couch. On the way there, it shut off. no matter how many times i hit the power button, it would not turn on. i pulled the battery, let it sit, put it back in... and nothing. then when i plugged it into its power adapter, smoke started pouring out of it. now, this thing has some scratches on it as my wife and i use it for college so it gets taken to school and back almost every day.when i opened it up, i found there was a screw that had come loose inside of it, and fried out the DC board. is this something apple will fix? i am a little upset and angry because it was their poor workmanship (not putting locktite on this screw) that caused it to come loose and fry the board... what should i do? if they wont do anything, how much do you think this would be to fix? or is it really even worth it? maybe its time for a new macbook...if i could just get a little cash for the G4.... grrr... please let me know what you all think... thanks!

anothermacaddic
Jul 23, 2007, 12:57 PM
Well it sounds like he lived a long full life and its time to let go and let him sleep. If you do have the 3 year applecare try to use it but I really wouldnt tell them about the whole I opened it up and found loose screws business. Just say it started smoking and then it was dead, play real dumb you might get a new mb out of it. Have a little girl come in with you and cry that she lost her digipet or something and really really get the act together and you may just score a 2.2 mbp (it is a powerbook, the PRO line).

MaddieBrad
Jul 23, 2007, 06:07 PM
Well it sounds like he lived a long full life and its time to let go and let him sleep. If you do have the 3 year applecare try to use it but I really wouldnt tell them about the whole I opened it up and found loose screws business. Just say it started smoking and then it was dead, play real dumb you might get a new mb out of it. Have a little girl come in with you and cry that she lost her digipet or something and really really get the act together and you may just score a 2.2 mbp (it is a powerbook, the PRO line).

LMAO

Definitely don't tell them you opened it up. Do just like he said... play dumb. And most importantly... Be tough. Don't let up. Speak to a manager. be loud enough for other customers to hear your problem. But at the same time be polite.

My PB magically turned into a MBP. :)