PDA

View Full Version : Motorola falls from ranks of top ten chipmakers based on sales

Cubeboy
Jul 25, 2003, 01:57 PM
Link:
http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/OEG20030724S0043

Looks like nearly all the major desktop/server/workstation chip makers are suffering from some financial troubles, first, IBM and AMD slid down the ranks and now Motorola has dropped off the charts. Could it be that the consumers just aren't buying that many desktop computers anymore?

MrMacMan
Jul 25, 2003, 02:09 PM
Moto has been on the decline, they didn't try to stop it, they kept sucking, and failed to make the G5 work.

They failed.

IBM pwned them.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 25, 2003, 02:13 PM
maybe they will now try to ake better chips, and give us faster macs:)
even though i still don't get why a company that makes cell phones is making processors for computers:rolleyes: :confused:

alset
Jul 26, 2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Moto has been on the decline, they didn't try to stop it, they kept sucking, and failed to make the G5 work.

They failed.

IBM pwned them.

I don't think that's very fair. They tried to stop it, they just did a terrible job! :)

Abstract
Jul 26, 2003, 07:33 AM
Motorola has only recently fallen from the top? Wow, how did they fool people into thinking they're the best for so long? :p

I hope Motorola falls from the top..........of a building. And if there is a Mr. Motorola controlling the entire organization, I hope he falls off the same building, but in slow motion..........slow like our G4's.

Dont Hurt Me
Jul 26, 2003, 08:38 AM
while it is true motorola's lack of progress has screwed apple for the past 2 years, a 7457 in the ibooks & imacs is still a move up and should make for nice consumer machines. Heck the 7455 at decent clocks isnt bad at all and all the current 1 gig machines & up are solid offerings. Add 167 busses and g4's @ up to 1.5 gigs and those machines will do very nice. Anyways cpu makers have to keep pushing the envelope and motorola was not so hence their current position.

wdlove
Jul 26, 2003, 11:00 AM
Hopefully Motorola can rebuild, they may have a chance with the improving economy. They need to decide what there niche is and concentrate on a goal!

eyelikeart
Jul 26, 2003, 11:38 AM
Motorola still does a lot outside of it's association with Apple, they just didn't make it on the G5 front.

They should stick to communications...where they belong ;)

MrMacMan
Jul 26, 2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by alset
I don't think that's very fair. They tried to stop it, they just did a terrible job! :)

They made the 'original 'G5' and they failed, not the 970, it was going great, and then hit a major glitch.

:(

bennetsaysargh
Jul 26, 2003, 11:41 PM
They made the 'original 'G5' and they failed, not the 970, it was going great, and then hit a major glitch.

i can't remeber back then. what was the glitch?

Cuckoo
Jul 27, 2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

They should stick to communications...where they belong ;) [/B]

My first cellphone was a motorola, sorry to say, that was the worst piece of cr** I have ever owned, and believe me, i work with Windows so i can take a fair share of pooly designed stuff

Ahh well, some companies just don't have enough to survive

MrMacMan
Jul 27, 2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
i can't remeber back then. what was the glitch?
1. was that there was a design flaw that would take somewhere near 6 months to redesign around
2. They weren't able to mass produce it effectively.

They saw that it would be hard to go from almost scratch so they killed the project.

Atleast we have the 970 now.

bennetsaysargh
Aug 2, 2003, 11:26 AM
1. was that there was a design flaw that would take somewhere near 6 months to redesign around
2. They weren't able to mass produce it effectively.

They saw that it would be hard to go from almost scratch so they killed the project.

Atleast we have the 970 now.

i still can't remeber it. hmm. it was probably when i was away fronm technology for a while.