PDA

View Full Version : AppleCare for the iPhone Now Available

MacRumors
Jul 24, 2007, 06:20 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple posted more details (http://www.apple.com/support/products/applecareiphone.html) for AppleCare for the iPhone today and is now available for purchase (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MB135LL/A) from the Apple Store.

Each iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage and up to two years of technical support. AppleCare for the iPhone extends your repair coverage to two years from the original purchase date.

You can purchase the AppleCare plan for the iPhone anytime within the one-year limited warranty. AppleCare, however, does not cover accidental damage.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/07/24/applecare-for-the-iphone-now-available/)

FleurDuMal
Jul 24, 2007, 06:21 PM
So this means all the iPhones are gonna die?

Steve1496
Jul 24, 2007, 06:23 PM
Interesting to see complimentary support comes with 2 years of Telephone support.

Does Applecare on your iPhone cover loaner phones for free if it needs repair, or will I still need to pay $29 for that?

dadsp33k
Jul 24, 2007, 06:32 PM
we have a year to purchase it.

rachaface
Jul 24, 2007, 06:44 PM
but will it include free rental of an iPhone if yours has to be taken in for repair?

swordfish5736
Jul 24, 2007, 06:45 PM
Interesting to see complimentary support comes with 2 years of Telephone support.

Does Applecare on your iPhone cover loaner phones for free if it needs repair, or will I still need to pay $29 for that?

I dont have applecare yet and had to send my phone in to be fixed and they gave me a loaner phone for free.

I'm posting from it

gameguy3001
Jul 24, 2007, 06:46 PM
just FYI, the AppleCare also covers the battery, so if in the first two year the battery dies, its still covered too. :)

mainstreetmark
Jul 24, 2007, 06:58 PM
I'm not getting Applecare again. They're pretty diligent about finding an excuse to NOT cover it. I had a broken screen once, and they found "drops of liquid" under the keyboard (clearly unrelated to a recent screwy screen), and so i wound up buying a new blackbook. The new blackbook quit battery charging, and they won't cover it because I installed one of those stupid Quickertek antenna boosters (but, I knew I screwed my warranty with it..)

PumaGuy
Jul 24, 2007, 07:10 PM
Apple is not authorized to sell the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone to residents of Alabama, Connecticut, Nevada, or Wyoming. If you are a resident of Alabama, Connecticut, Nevada, or Wyoming, please do not order the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone. If you submit an order that includes the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone, Apple will remove it from your order, notify you about the removal and process the remaining items on your order.

Wow, this really sucks for these guys and gals... why isn't AC:apple: purchasable in these states?

Chris Grande
Jul 24, 2007, 07:28 PM
I'd like to know also why people in those states can't buy it. That really stinks.

EclipseEmpire
Jul 24, 2007, 08:52 PM
Covers iPhone & iPhone Bluetooth hands-free headset and included accessories.

Thats a good deal if you have the Apple Bluetooth headset.

mustang_dvs
Jul 24, 2007, 08:55 PM
Interesting to see complimentary support comes with 2 years of Telephone support.That's because AT&T is providing the phone support and because, like an iPod, if it's not working right and a restore doesn't fix it, the only option is replacement, so "technical" phone support can't do much.

I'm not getting Applecare again. They're pretty diligent about finding an excuse to NOT cover it. I had a broken screen once, and they found "drops of liquid" under the keyboard (clearly unrelated to a recent screwy screen), and so i wound up buying a new blackbook. The new blackbook quit battery charging, and they won't cover it because I installed one of those stupid Quickertek antenna boosters (but, I knew I screwed my warranty with it..)My guess is that your machine showed obvious signs of abuse. I've never had any problems getting service for any of my machines, even after I've cracked the cases open to upgrade (and then downgrade, for service submission) components. 90% of the time, they didn't even check for unassociated modification/wear.

Wow, this really sucks for these guys and gals... why isn't AC:apple: purchasable in these states?My guess is that it has to do with the states' laws regarding insurance programs.

AJsAWiz
Jul 24, 2007, 10:17 PM

Good question but I didn't see anything there that indicated the plan included a loaner phone so it looks like the answer is no :apple:

Twinkie
Jul 25, 2007, 02:24 AM
Covers iPhone & iPhone Bluetooth hands-free headset and included accessories.

Thats a good deal if you have the Apple Bluetooth headset.No, it isn't.

Case in point:
American Express (and many other cards) automatically extend the warranty on anything you buy.

By buying my iPhone and Bluetooth headset on my Blue Cash card, I got the warranty extended from one year to two years for free and $10.92 cash back.

$70 for an additional year that doesn't even cover a loaner phone seems like a rip off to me.

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 25, 2007, 08:01 AM
No, it isn't.

Case in point:
American Express (and many other cards) automatically extend the warranty on anything you buy.

By buying my iPhone and Bluetooth headset on my Blue Cash card, I got the warranty extended from one year to two years for free and $10.92 cash back.

$70 for an additional year that doesn't even cover a loaner phone seems like a rip off to me.

agreed, that is a rip off, i just pay 5 dollars a year through the car insurance company

mattster16
Jul 25, 2007, 11:34 AM
I'm not getting Applecare again. They're pretty diligent about finding an excuse to NOT cover it. I had a broken screen once, and they found "drops of liquid" under the keyboard (clearly unrelated to a recent screwy screen), and so i wound up buying a new blackbook. The new blackbook quit battery charging, and they won't cover it because I installed one of those stupid Quickertek antenna boosters (but, I knew I screwed my warranty with it..)

I've used Applecare on my laptops about five times now and have never had any kind of problem. I even got a brand new macbook pro when my 2 year old powerbook's internal power supply fried because they said the part would take over a week to come in and they didn't want me to have to wait that long. I'm VERY happy with Applecare. I think they are only diligent about finding an excuse not to cover things when there is obvious misuse or abuse of the product.

I'm debating about the Applecare on the iPhone. Which is better do you think? Applecare or just getting it insured with my insurance company for cheap...or both?

ppc_michael
Jul 25, 2007, 12:48 PM
I had a broken screen once, and they found "drops of liquid" under the keyboard (clearly unrelated to a recent screwy screen), and so i wound up buying a new blackbook.

Exactly the same thing happened to me! I sent mine in to get a new optical drive because my discs were getting stuck, and they sent it back saying there was "liquid damage" inside the case. I never even drank near that think. Of course, when they sent it back, the case wasn't put back on evenly, things were bent, and screws that hold the top case to the bottom were stripped and fell out.

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 26, 2007, 07:46 AM
we have a year to purchase it.

agreed, i'll wait until june 08 to buy mine

powerbook911
Jul 26, 2007, 09:39 AM
What sucks about iPhone is they aren't letting you setup repair through the online system like iPod. At least then you could make the decision, instead of a phone rep, or store rep.

Justin205
Jul 28, 2007, 03:20 AM
Well....I guess I won't be getting it.... =\

jettrocker
Mar 21, 2008, 01:02 AM
It was strange! I was on the phone (not underwater) and I got a tiny shock on my cheek. It startled me and I dropped my phone. Needless to say, the top of the screen cracked, but it doesn't affect usage in any way. It's the cosmetic crack that I'm unhappy about resulting from the shock to my face (Yow!)

Do you think Apple would help me get this repaired?

Thanks,
Mikey

doodads
Mar 21, 2008, 06:31 PM
It was strange! I was on the phone (not underwater) and I got a tiny shock on my cheek. It startled me and I dropped my phone. Needless to say, the top of the screen cracked, but it doesn't affect usage in any way. It's the cosmetic crack that I'm unhappy about resulting from the shock to my face (Yow!)

Do you think Apple would help me get this repaired?

Thanks,
Mikey

Sure, for a price.