PDA

View Full Version : Ballmer now believes MS is the new Google...

boss1
Jul 26, 2007, 03:37 PM
Article: Ballmer: We are 'hell-bent' on succeeding in ads (http://news.com.com/Ballmer+We+are+hell-bent+on+succeeding+in+ads/2100-1012_3-6199030.html?tag=nefd.top)

"We are going to be an advertising company..." -Ballmer

A few months ago the were going to be the new iPod, now they are going to be the new google, by christmas Ballmer will lead the charge to turning MS into the new eBay.

<insert long drawn out yawn>

Teh Don Ditty
Jul 26, 2007, 04:16 PM
That's the problem with Microsoft, they are trying to be in too many markets at once.

*Please note: I'm all for product differentiation, but it comes a time to cut your losses and refocus your energy on your core product line. See Apple after the return of Jobs.

Eraserhead
Jul 26, 2007, 04:52 PM
That's the problem with Microsoft, they are trying to be in too many markets at once.

They've lost it, they may do some advertising on the side and may make money out of it but they will never be an advertising company unless Windows becomes "ad supported".

yellow
Jul 26, 2007, 05:13 PM
Poor Steve, he's finally lost his mind. What he meant was that Google is the new Microsoft.

Does anyone else see the specter of Big Blue here? I think the lumbering beast that is Microsoft is finally being taken down.

But I am slightly biased.

plumbingandtech
Jul 26, 2007, 05:16 PM
Truly.

That ship has no captain.

Sherman Homan
Jul 26, 2007, 05:18 PM
They did have quite a run...

PlaceofDis
Jul 26, 2007, 05:20 PM
microsoft, the new AOL.

Teh Don Ditty
Jul 26, 2007, 05:23 PM
microsoft, the new AOL.

Pre-Time Warner merger?

or after?

:p

IJ Reilly
Jul 26, 2007, 05:42 PM
Google is the new Microsoft.

ambience
Jul 26, 2007, 11:48 PM
I think the problem Microsoft has is the fact that they are spread way too thin. They have been diversifying into every possible market under the sun and have made sure they have an "answer" to every one of their competitors products. MSN + Windows Live has a competing product for almost every Google service which now includes advertising, they also have a competing product for every Apple product (Zune, Urge), these are just to name a few. The only way they survive is from their cash cows (Office and Windows), if they did not have dominance in those two products they would not be able to support the loss on the rest of their products and services. I think the slow adoption of Office 2007 and Vista should definitely shake them up enough that they start focusing on their core products again, especially if more divisions of the company start bleeding money.

MacNut
Jul 26, 2007, 11:51 PM
Isn't Apple becoming the new Microsoft.

ezekielrage_99
Jul 27, 2007, 01:26 AM
M$ are doing evertyhing at the moment, and the ironic thing is that they aren't doing anything particularly well. Zune is a flop, Silverlight is a waste and Vista sale are dissapointing compared to what most would expect....

M$ are not the powerhouse they once were, they ave more competition and better competitors compared with their 90's domination of the information technology industry.

Counterfit
Jul 27, 2007, 04:58 AM
Poor Steve, he's finally lost his mind.

Oh no, he lost it LOOOOOONG ago.

*cue 4chan people chanting "developers, developers, developers," ad nauseum in line on the top floor of the Baltimore Convention Center*

Queso
Jul 27, 2007, 05:14 AM
It's interesting that Ballmer, the sales guy, is effectively trying to turn Microsoft from a software company into a company that just sells. All this confirms is that he doesn't actually understand what Microsoft is and where its strengths lie.

Dagless
Jul 27, 2007, 06:58 AM
Good ol' Ballmer.

xUKHCx
Jul 27, 2007, 07:02 AM
They've lost it, they may do some advertising on the side and may make money out of it but they will never be an advertising company unless Windows becomes "ad supported".

Well did you see this article the other day Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html). Little snippet below

It's such a tremendously bad idea that it's almost bound to succeed. Microsoft has filed another patent, this one for an "advertising framework" that uses "context data" from your hard drive to show you advertisements and "apportion and credit advertising revenue" to ad suppliers in real time.

Sdashiki
Jul 27, 2007, 07:15 AM

yellow
Jul 27, 2007, 09:23 AM
Google is the new Microsoft.

Plagiarism? Tsk, tsk. I thought more of you. :)

What he meant was that Google is the new Microsoft.

Lixivial
Jul 27, 2007, 09:51 AM
Well did you see this article the other day Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html).

Well hopefully that means that Linux then becomes the adware busting program of choice. It's already an inherently great tool to use to destroy Windows-based adware, but if Windows becomes adware then it will be perfect. :)

Microsoft should never strive to be what Google is, only what it pretends to be. But this is a Ballmer-led Microsoft we're talking about, so the former fits the profile quite perfectly...

IJ Reilly
Jul 27, 2007, 10:03 AM
Plagiarism? Tsk, tsk. I thought more of you. :)

Oops. It was an honest mistake. :o

notjustjay
Jul 27, 2007, 11:04 AM
Seems to me it doesn't matter what Ballmer thinks, nearly as much as what Microsoft's paying customers think...

And people talk about Steve Jobs having an RDF... :rolleyes:

Blue Velvet
Jul 27, 2007, 11:15 AM
Digg Fires Google for Online Ads

Digg Inc., a reader-powered news site, fired Google Inc. as its online advertising partner Wednesday in favor of a company Digg's top executive described as young and willing to take risks: Microsoft Corp.

"We at Digg couldn't think of a better partner to get to where we need to go," said Jay Adelson, the company's chief executive officer. "They're a young ad service, they're innovative, they're willing to work with us on the cutting edge."

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/25/ap3952909.html

And why is this a smart move for Microsoft? Because advertisers and those who act on their behalf have clout. Witness the hold that advertisers hold over network television... How to control the story? Go for where the money is.

yellow
Jul 27, 2007, 11:36 AM
Wow... just so much wow.

Why do I suddenly envision an 'unturnoffable' Microsoft Ad widget appearing on the widget rip off on Vista?

boss1
Jul 27, 2007, 02:19 PM
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=80574&d=1185538510

lol. He bears a striking resemblance to a Crushridge Ogre

http://wow.allakhazam.com/images/mobs/crushridge_ogre.jpg

Somebody should check to see if he drops anything epic. :)

yellow
Jul 27, 2007, 02:27 PM
Whatever it is, it adds +25 Bloat.

IJ Reilly
Jul 27, 2007, 03:05 PM
The Ogre has more hair.

Counterfit
Jul 27, 2007, 07:34 PM
The Ogre has more hair.

They both probably leave steaming piles all over though.

IJ Reilly
Jul 27, 2007, 09:32 PM
They both probably leave steaming piles all over though.

TMI.... :eek:

Counterfit
Jul 27, 2007, 11:19 PM
Not a WoW player I presume? ;)

ghall
Jul 28, 2007, 12:59 AM
Ballmer believes a lot of things, not one of which is true. The guy is psychotic! And he looks like a chimpanzee.

Whenever I think of Steve Ballmer, I think of that ridiculous developer chant. :D

DaftUnion
Jul 28, 2007, 04:01 AM
Everytime I see the name Steve Ballmer in a post, I hit the off switch in my brain.

tomoisyourgod
Jul 29, 2007, 05:48 AM
Whenever I see that stupid bald head, I can't help but laugh. He's too opinionated and extreme... I don't actually know really what he does apart from jump up and down and shout... he's like he was 'in the right place at the right time' and acts like he's just won the lottery, I really don't believe he's earned his $14Billion or whatever he's worth...

I remember reading somewhere that "he thinks Linux is communism" "people with iPods are thieves" and his kids aren't allowed to use Macs, iPods or any other products made by Apple, and apparently are not allowed to have a Playstation.

For Microsoft to be such a global dominant company and worth billions, they must send a memo around the office everyday "don't listen to Steve, just smile and humor him".

Remember that advert he did advertising windows for $99 in the 80s? then he goes on about developers and sweats like Tony Blair during an election on stage...

anyway thats my 2 pence!

sailnavy
Jul 29, 2007, 02:19 PM
He was a huge challenge ahead of him. I wish him luck.

dubbz
Aug 4, 2007, 12:52 PM
Ballmer is truly an interesting person...

And, uhm, this pic kinda made me laugh.

ReanimationLP
Aug 5, 2007, 04:55 AM
If MS is the new Google then I'm the Pope.

I'm sorry, but why does anyone listen to this guy?

Its obvious he was, and always has been a blithering fool.

Developers, Developers, Developers comes to mind. ;)

MrSmith
Aug 5, 2007, 10:05 AM
... have made sure they have an "answer" to every one of their competitors products...

Maybe the new

http://homepage2.nifty.com/hide_i/miscellaneous/happy_shopper.jpg