PDA

View Full Version : iBook G3 didn't turn on?

KurtangleTN
Jul 26, 2007, 03:51 PM
This was really weird, I woke up this morning and went to turn on my iBook before I took a shower.. but I noticed it wasn't turning on.. I tried it again and again and no dice..

I started to get really worried, and when I plugged my mini VGA cable back in (which was out since last night) it booted up again fine.

Anyone know why? Is this a cause for concern?

mad jew
Jul 26, 2007, 07:39 PM
Very strange. Have you successfully booted without the VGA cable since? :)

KurtangleTN
Jul 26, 2007, 09:29 PM
Ugh, I decided to shut it down to see if I is still a problem and now it won't turn on period..

Edit- I've tried reseting the PRAM/PMU, taking out everything, pretty much every little trick I could find.. and nothing at all, no chime, fans, harddrive noise.. it could be dead :-(!

This really sucks, because I have to go jobless till I school starts, and have no way to pay for a new Mac anytime soon, so I'd be stuck with Windows computers! Help!

Edit- Holy crap I pressed it agian, and now it turns on.. (Won't shut this down ever again)

mad jew
Jul 26, 2007, 11:02 PM
Mate, it sounds like a hardware problem - possibly the power supply or the actual power button connector. I'm not sure there's much we can do for you over the 'net. :o

KurtangleTN
Jul 26, 2007, 11:17 PM
Mate, it sounds like a hardware problem - possibly the power supply or the actual power button connector. I'm not sure there's much we can do for you over the 'net. :o

It's no problem, I figured so.. it seems to be an odd problem with the G3 iBooks and some early G4, It just won't randomly turn on at times, so I'll keep it in sleep when I want it off, I'm just glad it turned back on!

Thanks for the help :-)

DoFoT9
Jul 26, 2007, 11:24 PM
at least osx doesnt need 2 b restarted every day like a winblows machine :P or are u running os9:(

KurtangleTN
Jul 27, 2007, 12:37 AM
at least osx doesnt need 2 b restarted every day like a winblows machine :P or are u running os9:(

Nope, Panther. I've never had to restart like in Windows, never had a Kernel panic, so I'm pretty confident that I'd be able to keep it running without much problems.

I'm not going to risk it, but I think that if I press restart, it would be fine.. so if the OS gets cranky (or a system update) I'll be fine.

Does anyone know what causes this? I guess I could email the guy who I bought the iBook from, and ask him if he could repair it, and see how much it would cost.