PDA

View Full Version : Cox Cable modem or SBC Yahoo DSL?


jaser
Jul 27, 2003, 09:30 AM
would like to finally go broadband and trying to decide between cable modem or dsl. anyone give me a pro/con comparison between the 2? also, to share an internet connection w/ 2 macs, will speed degrade using a router? thanks for your comments, other suggestions!

question fear
Jul 27, 2003, 10:27 AM
do a search around geek.com forums there was soemthing on there about a month ago about cox cable...essentially they had some major crackdown regarding how they handled people using in excess of a certain amt of bandwith...but there was some discussion of whether they could "see" your extra computer through the router...
on the other hand, i know that with dsl if you have a two line jack you'll need a special filter. (A friend of mine had a problem tracking one down).
sorry i can't be more helpful.
--carly

MoparShaha
Jul 27, 2003, 10:37 AM
I can't give you a comparison, but I use SBC Yahoo DSL, and I couldn't be happier. I consistenly get around 950 kbps speed on cnet's bandwidth meter (http://webservices.cnet.com/Bandwidth/) . We have the middle grade package, and it comes with 10 IP addresses, so I just have all my computers hooked up through a hub, not a router. I've had 4 computers (2 macs and 2 PC's) on at the same time, and they all stayed in the 950 kbps range, so it doesn't slow down. Overall, I've been very happy with my SBC Yahoo DSL service.

Schiffi
Jul 27, 2003, 10:43 AM
I also heard some bad reports from ppl who use Cox. I'd go with Yahoo, if it isn't too high (I don't use Broadband so I wouldn't know the prices).

Grimace
Jul 27, 2003, 10:51 AM
Don't worry too much about how many computers you are running on the line. If it's a cable modem or DSL, you will not be able to tell the difference between running one computer or five computers at the same time (unless you are downloading extremely large files on all of them 24/7).

A simple router/hub/bridge can allow you to use as many computers as you need with the line. You may want to look into a router with wireless capability - even if you don't have anything wireless right now. You never know when you might acquire a laptop, or want to get a wireless adaptor for your desktop or printer. It's only a few bucks more to ensure future expandability.

I have been extremely happy with this Linksys model:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=508

I run 3 hardwired computers and 5 wireless laptops off of it and there is no speed degredation. Getting a router, or an access point, or a switch, alone is stupid. This device has all built in, and will power up to 50 computers on the 802.11g standard (airport extreme speeds.) Best investment I ever made. Look around and you can find one for around $100.00

Powerbook G5
Jul 27, 2003, 10:56 AM
Just look out for networking limits. Some cable companies are really strict and "no-no"about the whole concept of networking their service. When I had Adelphia in Florida, the service was cheap and fast but if you mentioned networking or if they saw a router while installing, they'd pick up and leave so fast you didn't know what just happened. I personally like cable, since it's typically faster and usually cheaper. DSL here is $70 a month for 256 kbps and cable is $45 a month for 10 mbps. Granted, you don't get the full 10 mbps, but I consistantly get well over 2-3 mbps using C|net's bandwidth meter, so that has to be good for something. I'd also check with the DSL modem with Yahoo, since I know many people who have had a hell of a time getting a Mac and airport to even realize there is a DSL modem connected because of the way PPPoE works. Either way, good luck, broadband is definitely the way to go.

Rajj
Jul 27, 2003, 12:24 PM
It really depends on where you live.

I have Cox Cable and I consistency get 1.5~1.8Mbps , I also have a small network via airport!!

Now about yahoo, I heard in some areas it blows but in others it is ok, but it is still slower than cable because of POTS and the distance.

So here are the pros and cons.

Cox:
Pros: Fast, reliable, and cheap
Cons: Pathetic Tech Support (extremely long wait times) and some modems are not compatible
Pros: Dedicated Bandwidth (supposedly) and Superb uptime
Cons: Slower than cable, expensive, and you cannot live beyond 1,800 feet from the area transmission center.

Like some else said, check the forums in your area about the two services to get a better fell for it!!!

Have fun!!


P.S. About that router issue, they can see pass a router with the right equipment, but they usually donít do anything about it, unless you are a Bandwidth hog (P2P Kazaa)
Just donít tell them you have multiple computers, because they will charge you!!

iJon
Jul 27, 2003, 12:49 PM
well i have both so i can give you somewhat a fair comparison. we cox at work, and sbc at home. i constantly have a 1.2MBit connection at my house. buttttt, dsl is kind of a gamble. for the price i pay i get 150-200k download speeds and my friend across town gets 500k down and my other friend gets 14k down. me and the 14k guy pay the same each month. i upgraded my package earlier in the year to get the 500k down, but speeds never changed. cox cable is a little slower at work, but that is because they put bad wiring in our town and put the better faster wiring in the neighboring towns. but with cox if something goes wrong you can go get a new modem and their store place. tech support is a pain with sbc, they gave us the runaround for about an hour trying to get a new modem. my mom finally said cable modem is staring next month and if this doesnt get fixed soon she will cancel. only thing i can recommend is try to find some people in your neighborhood and check their speeds. its a tossup. its always dependent on the area.

iJon

Xero
Jul 27, 2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by iJon
well i have both so i can give you somewhat a fair comparison. we cox at work, and sbc at home. i constantly have a 1.2MBit connection at my house. buttttt, dsl is kind of a gamble. for the price i pay i get 150-200k download speeds and my friend across town gets 500k down and my other friend gets 14k down. me and the 14k guy pay the same each month. i upgraded my package earlier in the year to get the 500k down, but speeds never changed. cox cable is a little slower at work, but that is because they put bad wiring in our town and put the better faster wiring in the neighboring towns. but with cox if something goes wrong you can go get a new modem and their store place. tech support is a pain with sbc, they gave us the runaround for about an hour trying to get a new modem. my mom finally said cable modem is staring next month and if this doesnt get fixed soon she will cancel. only thing i can recommend is try to find some people in your neighborhood and check their speeds. its a tossup. its always dependent on the area.

iJon

this is very true, especially with DSL. I once tried to get DSL through verizon [at the time this was the only broadband option in my town] and i lived about 3 short blocks from a transmission station. i had already verified my phone number and had the DSL modem ordered when i got a little postcard size notice in the mail basically saying, "sorry, you cant get DSL because theres to many high bandwidth connections going past your house." i was pretty pissed. but fortunately i was able to get cable soon after [i still received the DSL modem and have it to this day:rolleyes:]. cable where i lived was much like DSL. speeds were capped [256, 768, 1.5 down respectively] but you always got that much bandwidth, even during peak times.

daveg5
Jul 27, 2003, 02:29 PM
i am using warner cable and my readings or never lower then 1800-2000.
this may change once more people get cable. when downloading files i routinely go above 256k to as much as 512k sometimes. but its expensive 44.95 + tax every month i have two xboxes and 3 macs on a router.

mislabeledstar
Jul 27, 2003, 02:32 PM
I used SBC DSL in San Francisco for about 5 months and most of it was very problematic. I personally don't use SBC anymore and couldn't be happier. I wouldn't use them again, they sucked.

ZildjianKX
Jul 27, 2003, 02:34 PM
I have SBC DSL... I don't mind it except they ban newsgroups they don't want you downloading from (alt.binaries)... and if you max out your uploads it cripples your downloads to about 3 kps... I miss cable for both of those reasons...

daveg5
Jul 27, 2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by MoparShaha
I can't give you a comparison, but I use SBC Yahoo DSL, and I couldn't be happier. I consistenly get around 950 kbps speed on cnet's bandwidth meter (http://webservices.cnet.com/Bandwidth/) . We have the middle grade package, and it comes with 10 IP addresses, so I just have all my computers hooked up through a hub, not a router. I've had 4 computers (2 macs and 2 PC's) on at the same time, and they all stayed in the 950 kbps range, so it doesn't slow down. Overall, I've been very happy with my SBC Yahoo DSL service.
thanks for the link i got 1255 on my cable

alset
Jul 27, 2003, 02:46 PM
I have both, right now (cheaper to run out my DSL contract than to cancel it) and recommend COX. Good customer service and relatively fast bband. Also, I disagree with the statement above about not noticing a difference in your speeds with multiple machines. With the DSL line, I notice a hit after only two machines are active.

PS - DSL uplink is awful.

Dan

iJon
Jul 27, 2003, 03:19 PM
for many of these reasons, i may switch to cable modem next month. one thing i hate about my dsl if i have a bunch of downloads going, i can never submit a post on macrumors, or any site. i thought it was a problem with safari but it isnt. when i am at work with everyone on the net and some people downloading i can submit all the time without clicking back, then forward and resubmitting. im gonna wait till it gets in my area, and im gong to go to a friends house who gets it and see how there speeds are. also i have a question somebody may be able to answer. do you have to set your cable line up for cable, or when they turn on digital cable can i bring home my modem from work and plug it in and check it out.

iJon

senseibiz
Jul 27, 2003, 05:24 PM
I got cox cable, I never had a problem with it, I think im getting a good deal.
3 mb/s down for $50/mo

Powerbook G5
Jul 27, 2003, 05:54 PM
I don't know about Cox, but I have had cable modem service with three different companies (Adelphia, Time Warner, and Mediacom) It's pretty easy, once you get service, you just plug in the modem and you're good to go. If the cable company uses a DOCSIS compliant system, you can go to the store and buy one off the shelf from just about anywhere (Radioshack, Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc) I've never bought my own modem since I've always been supplied with one, but with Adelphia my modem burnt out 4 times and I kept having to get a new one sent to me, and each time I simply plugged it in and connected it to the router and was good to go.

Rezet
Jul 27, 2003, 11:45 PM
If you live in the city, I'd suggest DSL. But if you live in town, I'd suggest CABLE. Cable has by far faster download speed than DSL. And Upload speed is also faster (usually).

DSL advantages are:
-NO matter how many people use it around, your connection doesn't suffer.
-At some points it may be more stable.

DSL disadvantages are:
-You have to be within 2000 feet of substation. frather away you are, slower your connection is.
-In most situations slower than Cable.
-Requires to sign a contract. later becomes very expensive (after 1 year)
-If your phone line is noisy, your DL speed will be about 25k/sec
-Yahoo charges you tax for internet (i think).
-Upload speed is way too slow (128k), cable allows atleast 256k.


Cable Advanatges:
-Faster than DSL
-Requires less maintnance
-No contracts required
-Price is actually less. (SBC jacks price up to 59 bucks after one year for "faster" dsl).

Cable disadvantages:
-If place where you live is very crowded, your connection will suffer at peak usage hours.
-Gamers sometime complain of more often drops (depending on location again.)


Overall, Cable is superior to DSL. My Cable for example gets actual download speed at over 300Kbs.
My friends dsl who lives 1 mile away, is 130kbs from the same servers at the same time.


Try to find out how many people are using cable in your area, if not many, get that. I have COmcast, and it's an excellent service.
Almost never get my connection dropped and dl speed is excellent.

Rezet
Jul 27, 2003, 11:51 PM
One thing though. DO NOT get RCA modem if you go with cable.
Tested it already. RCA drops connection much much more often.
This motorolla i have right now stays plugged in for a week and never looses connection. My first RCA lost connection atleast once a day.

Rezet
Jul 28, 2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by MoparShaha
I can't give you a comparison, but I use SBC Yahoo DSL, and I couldn't be happier. I consistenly get around 950 kbps speed on cnet's bandwidth meter (http://webservices.cnet.com/Bandwidth/) . We have the middle grade package, and it comes with 10 IP addresses, so I just have all my computers hooked up through a hub, not a router. I've had 4 computers (2 macs and 2 PC's) on at the same time, and they all stayed in the 950 kbps range, so it doesn't slow down. Overall, I've been very happy with my SBC Yahoo DSL service.

Don't be naive man. Everyone gets around that bandwidth there.
And that means exactly nothing. When I had 26k connection, i downloaded at speed of 3.8kbs. When later i started connection at 49kbs, my dl speed was 4.2kbs. Even though cnet would show you that your bandwith is higher. Shouldn't I dl at 2x faster?
Try sellecting "dial up" as an option and select different area code, and your dsl will measure somewhere around 450.
If you noticed they plug in yahoo and covad commercial after each test. I wonder why? HINT: that's why they ask your area code before testing. heh.
And 128K upload is way too low. Thru ICQ, or any peer-peer you will be sending file at speed of 15k/s.

jaser
Jul 28, 2003, 12:16 AM
after reading your helpful posts and researching, i'm going to go the cable modem route. cox has a promo going now for half off($20) the first 3 months, then $39.95 there after w/ no contract and a money back guarantee. sounds like a good deal.

so now i'm trying to figure out which cable modem and router to purchase. been hearing alot of good things on the toshiba pcx 2200 cable modem($50) and the netgear mr814 cable router/switcher($29 after rebates). anyone know if these are good? or have any other suggestions? thanks again!

Rezet
Jul 28, 2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by jaser
after reading your helpful posts and researching, i'm going to go the cable modem route. cox has a promo going now for half off($20) the first 3 months, then $39.95 there after w/ no contract and a money back guarantee. sounds like a good deal.

so now i'm trying to figure out which cable modem and router to purchase. been hearing alot of good things on the toshiba pcx 2200 cable modem($50) and the netgear mr814 cable router/switcher($29 after rebates). anyone know if these are good? or have any other suggestions? thanks again!


I have motorola surfboard and like i said, the performance it gives out is excellent.
Don't believe me? See what others have to say about this modem:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008Y1BX/qid=1059369704/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-2491958-5100040?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

I don't know if your provider uses that modem though. Whos is your provider?

As for router, I'd have to say Netgear or D-Link.
For mac, I'd go with D-Link.

http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=2


If you want G (faststest connection) get DI-624
If you want B (10/100) getDI-614+
At amazon or buy.com they are pretty cheap.

jaser
Jul 28, 2003, 12:10 PM
should i just stick to the modem cox is offering?

Rezet
Jul 28, 2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by jaser
should i just stick to the modem cox is offering?

You mean from the service itself? I wouldn't it seems theyb charge you for the modem whatever they can get away with that day. On average, serveice sells modems for around 100 bucks and lets you rent it for 3-4 bucks a month. On amazon, you can get superior modem at the store and online for 25- 50% less.
Just call your provider, and ask which modems they support.
Company and model number [EX: MOTOROLA - SB5100 etc]. You can also find out in your nearest best buy or circuit city store.

MisterMe
Jul 28, 2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Rezet
You mean from the service itself? I wouldn't it seems theyb charge you for the modem whatever they can get away with that day. On average, serveice sells modems for around 100 bucks and lets you rent it for 3-4 bucks a month. On amazon, you can get superior modem at the store and online for 25- 50% less.
Just call your provider, and ask which modems they support.
Company and model number [EX: MOTOROLA - SB5100 etc]. You can also find out in your nearest best buy or circuit city store. Cox Communications supports DOCSIS standard cable modems. It shouldn't matter which brand you buy.

idkew
Jul 28, 2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by MoparShaha
I can't give you a comparison, but I use SBC Yahoo DSL, and I couldn't be happier. I consistenly get around 950 kbps speed on cnet's bandwidth meter (http://webservices.cnet.com/Bandwidth/)


1583 on cable, if that helps you.

edit- changing the type of connection does change the speed reported... but that may be bacuse each is optimised for the named service....

primalman
Jul 28, 2003, 04:36 PM
Had SBC DSL, got 900-1.3 all the time, always worked, never had a problem.

To the people saying you have to be within 1700 or 200 feet of the "transmission station." It is actually about 17,000-27,000 feet depending on the companies equipment. And the "transmission station" is actually the switch for the telco, just like the Ethernet switch at work, essentially.

Most houses in a midsize/moderate to large city are within 25,000 feet of a telco switch.,

Eniregnat
Jul 28, 2003, 04:42 PM
It looks like a 50 50 push on both cable and DSL.

All I can say is that the Mac users that I know that have asked me for help with help with their high speed access have all had an awful time with Cox.

See my second post on this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20848&highlight=Cox) about how some high speed providers Suck (http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/Dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?search=suck) Cox (http://www.cox.com/Default.asp). Better put, some high speed providers are Cox Suckers (http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wrader/slang/c.html). (The singular word form spelled differently ;))

I'm not trying to get banned with this one, but I have no love for the cable provider mentioned.

To the Mods or Admin: If I went a little too far with the pun let me know. Iím not shooting to get banned. Especially just after I got my avatar.

iShater
Jul 28, 2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by jaser
would like to finally go broadband and trying to decide between cable modem or dsl. anyone give me a pro/con comparison between the 2? also, to share an internet connection w/ 2 macs, will speed degrade using a router? thanks for your comments, other suggestions!

Well, it is SBC, that should be a good enough reason to RUN!

Powerbook G5
Jul 28, 2003, 05:09 PM
That really is weird, on the bandwidth meter it is vastly different depending on what you choose. I have Mediacom with a SURFBoard 5100 and when I click the cable option, I consistantly get over 1500 every time, but if I click DSL I barely get 1000, and if I click wireless or WAN/LAN I get anywhere between 900-1400. Doesn't seem like it's a very scientific way of measuring your true bandwidth at all.

VIREBEL661
Jul 28, 2003, 05:09 PM
I used SBC DSL in Cali and now I use Cox Cable in NV... I find the Cox setup to be much faster than my DSL, and haven't had problems connecting mutiple computers... No passwords with Cox either... Much better article retention and selection of newsgroups on Cox so far also. SBC censored some groups, so they weren't available. I would recommend the cable connection from personal experience and satisfaction, however, your mileage may vary.

MisterMe
Jul 28, 2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by VIREBEL661
I used SBC DSL in Cali and now I use Cox Cable in NV... I find the Cox setup to be much faster than my DSL, and haven't had problems connecting mutiple computers... No passwords with Cox either... Much better article retention and selection of newsgroups on Cox so far also. SBC censored some groups, so they weren't available. I would recommend the cable connection from personal experience and satisfaction, however, your mileage may vary. I concur. I subscribed to my Cox's cable modem service on the first day it was available. After completing the paperwork, the clerk handed me a box containing the cable modem, a signal splitter, and a length of Cat5 cable. I brought it home, connected it up, and turned it on. I set my TCP/IP to DHCP and I was on. No muss, no fuss. Had I been a Windows user, I would have been directed to buy a NIC downtown. Cox did not specifically "support" any particular platform. The company just provided the bare minimum equipment to get connected. That's all I needed. Worked great. Eventually, my provider switched to DOCSIS modems. My old modem was recalled and replaced by a Toshiba PCX1100U. Recently, Cox stated that it "supports" only Windows. However, the company has implemented nothing Windows-specific in its service. I have a connection. My connection works. There is no hassle at all. Within the past year or so, I bought a Siemans router. It has made my service even better. Cox provides full access to the newsgroups, email, the Web, everything that I can ask for. The company recently added Web mail. I know that Cox is something of a confederation of previously independent or smaller cable companies. Therefore the experiences of any one particular subscriber are not universal. However, my experience with Cox is pretty darned good.

Rezet
Jul 28, 2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
That really is weird, on the bandwidth meter it is vastly different depending on what you choose. I have Mediacom with a SURFBoard 5100 and when I click the cable option, I consistantly get over 1500 every time, but if I click DSL I barely get 1000, and if I click wireless or WAN/LAN I get anywhere between 900-1400. Doesn't seem like it's a very scientific way of measuring your true bandwidth at all.


Argh, didn't you get that form my post? OMG, that is nothing but a cheap advertising stunt, don't you get it? all bandwith testing is to send you a packet. BAM. How would you even know that those cnet servers are fast enough to compare? They are closer to someone, connection is faster, and so on.
Do you even know who C|Net is owned by? Blah
I gave a an example, Me and y friend live 1 mile away from each other. he has SBC yahoo (middle package) I have Comcast cable. MY actual download speed from most servers is around 300kbs+
His is only 140kbs using same type of computer, same system, same browser, downloading at the same time from the same servers. Don't you think I tested it before I got cable? I had the same question before i got cable. "DSL? OR CABLE?"

But then again, most people will just recommend what they use if it performs decently. So don't forget everyone here including me have bias :)


Cheers.

Eniregnat
Jul 28, 2003, 07:04 PM
From a previous thread on the same topic.

Some more tests. They should spawn a new browser.


1.) Small data (http://homepage.eircom.net/~leslie/testpage/testpg56.htm) test. Fast by Eircom.net
2.) Large data (http://homepage.eircom.net/~leslie/testpage/testlrge.htm) graphics- by Eircom.net (odd pictures)
3.) Toast.netís (http://www.toast.net/performance/) multi stream test. Like aSwiss Army . :cool:
4.) (http://computingcentral.msn.com/internet/speedtest.asp) Similar to the CNET test.
5.) Another Java test (http://www.cable-modem.net/features/oct99/speed.html), but not area code or zip code required.


I really don't think that CNET is packet bending, mainly because the JAVA code that they use is licensed to all sorts of venders, and not all of them are on their site. I don't see how they could gain commission, beyond advertising. I also respect CNET, but they are a company, and I do think that there are humans involved, so perhaps things may not be on the level. They have blasted advertisers products, as well as heralded them.)

Above are a number of different tests. Try them all, arrive and you should get a more reliable benchmark. Again keep in mind that localized traffic (both physical and temporal) will change the results. So do good science and minimize the variables.

Back on topic- I hope we here the final decision from the thread starter (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=19683).

jaser
Jul 28, 2003, 07:46 PM
i did it. i just ordered cox cable here in orange county. they gave me a good deal! free cable modem and installation plus $10 off my cable bill every month. i'm looking at it as i'm paying $29.95 for cable modem because of this $10 off. i also get a 30 day money back guarantee if i'm not happy. pretty darn good deal! i couldn't resist...thanks for all your feedback, it helped me alot! hopefully i can start posting here at broadband speed...lol...thanks again! now, i'm trying to decide on a router...hmmm...hehe...

Rezet
Jul 28, 2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Eniregnat
From a previous thread on the same topic.

Some more tests. They should spawn a new browser.


1.) Small data (http://homepage.eircom.net/~leslie/testpage/testpg56.htm) test. Fast by Eircom.net
2.) Large data (http://homepage.eircom.net/~leslie/testpage/testlrge.htm) graphics- by Eircom.net (odd pictures)
3.) Toast.netís (http://www.toast.net/performance/) multi stream test. Like aSwiss Army . :cool:
4.) (http://computingcentral.msn.com/internet/speedtest.asp) Similar to the CNET test.
5.) Another Java test (http://www.cable-modem.net/features/oct99/speed.html), but not area code or zip code required.


I really don't think that CNET is packet bending, mainly because the JAVA code that they use is licensed to all sorts of venders, and not all of them are on their site. I don't see how they could gain commission, beyond advertising. I also respect CNET, but they are a company, and I do think that there are humans involved, so perhaps things may not be on the level. They have blasted advertisers products, as well as heralded them.)

Above are a number of different tests. Try them all, arrive and you should get a more reliable benchmark. Again keep in mind that localized traffic (both physical and temporal) will change the results. So do good science and minimize the variables.

Back on topic- I hope we here the final decision from the thread starter (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=19683).

Well, on all the tests you have offered, they all show that speed is off the chart. So either those tests suck, or conenction is good.
But somehow i feel something is wrong with the tests...

Rezet
Jul 28, 2003, 08:52 PM
This is the dl speed I get most of the time with Comcast...

Lanbrown
Jul 29, 2003, 09:17 AM
Definitely get a router with a firewall built-in. Does the speed degrade, no; you still have the same connection coming in. If you already have cable, a cable modem is an option, if you don't they usually charge extra. Typically, cable modem service is a month-to-month service; DSL typically wants you to sign a one-year agreement. Not to mention having to deal with the phone company.

jaser
Aug 5, 2003, 01:12 PM
since this question is related and i didn't want to start a new thread, i'd like to know if i will benefit from an 802.11b router rather than an 802.11g? i know the 802.11g offers 54Mbps, so i'm wondering why would one want to go w/ this for cable/dsl connections as well as networking/file sharing between 2 macs? will i benefit w/ the 802.11g or will an 802.11b router be fast enough? thanks alot for any comments, suggestions!

Eniregnat
Aug 5, 2003, 02:15 PM
Your only as fast as your slowest link.
For computer to computer, if one of your computers is 11b then the system will be no faster than 11b. For DSL (or any internet subscription), you will only benefit from 11g if you can get that bandwidth or better from your provider.
11g also seems to suffer more from interference and has a shorter range, but the off the shelf tuned antennas seem to do more for 11g. I have an older iBook, so 11b is the best I can do. Also, 11g is backwards compatible with 11b. If your entire system is 11g, you will notice. About double the speed. All of this is from what I have seen and experienced.

MisterMe
Aug 5, 2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by jaser
since this question is related and i didn't want to start a new thread, i'd like to know if i will benefit from an 802.11b router rather than an 802.11g? i know the 802.11g offers 54Mbps, so i'm wondering why would one want to go w/ this for cable/dsl connections as well as networking/file sharing between 2 macs? will i benefit w/ the 802.11g or will an 802.11b router be fast enough? thanks alot for any comments, suggestions! 802.11g is backward compatible with 802.11b. So, your 802.11b cards will work just fine with your 802.11g router. If you have a PowerBook or PowerMac with Airport Extreme, then definitely go with 802.11g. If you are a Windows Weenie, then it is going to be a while yet before 802.11g is widely available. You might be able to go with 802.11b and wait for 802.11g. On the other hand, you can future-proof yourself with 802.11g now. When it is widely adopted, you will already be there.

jaser
Aug 5, 2003, 02:40 PM
oops, sorry forgot to mention my machines: i have an emac 1ghz as well as a powermac g4 1ghz. both will accept an airport extreme card. so i understand now if i wanted to share/transfer files, printers, i would benefit from an 11g router but as far as a cox cable modem connection goes, 11g speed i will not benefit from because the max download/upload for cable modem is 3Mbps correct? also, will i need airport cards or can i just connect via ethernet to the router? thanks again!

frescies
Aug 5, 2003, 05:16 PM
dslreports.com has an extensive database of customer comments and complaints from pretty much EVERY service available. This is nice because not only will you get reviews of, say, SBC... You'll get reports from users using SBC from many locations, and most likely in your city. This is nice as service varies a lot from location to location

I have SBC and love it. I have had one hour of downtime in 9 months..... literally.

I get the full bandwidth they offer me and my modem has not dropped my connection in over 4 months. However, some people have had bad locations in different areas. I would suggest you look up your area at dslreports.com