PDA

View Full Version : G5 Demo Units - Next Week

MacRumors
Jul 28, 2003, 10:26 AM
One report notes that PowerMac G5 demos will be at most Apple stores in about a week.

DHagan4755
Jul 28, 2003, 10:29 AM
That's good news. Maybe they'll be shipping earlier than expected too!

Frozone
Jul 28, 2003, 10:29 AM
What about CompUSA's?

MacFan25
Jul 28, 2003, 10:41 AM
The Apple Stores are going to be flooded with people if this true. :D

Flowbee
Jul 28, 2003, 10:46 AM
A salesguy at my local Apple store (Emeryville, CA) told me the same thing last week. I took it with a large grain of salt however, as they've been pretty unreliable predicting these kind of things in the past. I think a lot of them get their 'inside' information from MacRumors. Let's hope they're right about this one.

MetallicPenguin
Jul 28, 2003, 10:48 AM
Well I might need to see if I can get a Pro Card or not, because I'm using the educational discount....

testnull
Jul 28, 2003, 10:55 AM
I was at the Schaumburg, IL Apple Store yesterday, and noticed that the wall along the left side where the G4's are usually had been replaced - the monitors are still there, but now 15" PowerBooks are driving them. The 15" PowerBooks were moved from the counter in front of the wall where the 12" and LapZilla sit. When I asked, he responded that they were moved around as they were "preparing for the G5". When I asked when those would come in, he said "August or September; they keep pushing it back."

I took it at the time as a sign of PB updates to come (the 15" PB is now quite invisible) but this report may clarify things :)

dethl
Jul 28, 2003, 10:57 AM
Sweet! This means I can finally see the G5 when I go to Las Vegas for Defcon 11.

Does anyone know which model will be demoed? I hope its the Dual 2.0ghz, since I ordered one almost instantly after the keynote address.

Dahl
Jul 28, 2003, 11:23 AM
Great news.
It will be nice to see them "live".

Now we just need to see the latest shipping dates ?

RHutch
Jul 28, 2003, 11:26 AM
So, do you think that the 970's are in production, whether in Fishkill or elsewhere? ;)

Doctor Q
Jul 28, 2003, 11:46 AM
I'll watch for the G5 at one of my local Apple Stores. I already know all the specs, but I really need to see one up close and personal to decide what I think of the style and design.

JtheLemur
Jul 28, 2003, 11:49 AM
G5. Deeleeshus. Defcon. Deeleeshus. =D

MacBoyX
Jul 28, 2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by testnull
I was at the Schaumburg, IL Apple Store yesterday, and noticed that the wall along the left side where the G4's are usually had been replaced - the monitors are still there, but now 15" PowerBooks are driving them. The 15" PowerBooks were moved from the counter in front of the wall where the 12" and LapZilla sit. When I asked, he responded that they were moved around as they were "preparing for the G5". When I asked when those would come in, he said "August or September; they keep pushing it back."

I took it at the time as a sign of PB updates to come (the 15" PB is now quite invisible) but this report may clarify things :)

I was in the Apple Store in King Of Prussia, PA this weekend and they still had G4 PowerMacs but oddly there was not ONE SINGLE 15" PowerBook there. There were several 12" and 17" PowerBooks but not any TiBooks. I thought this was a bit odd.

MacBoyX

MrMacMan
Jul 28, 2003, 01:27 PM
Sweet if they get them, I'm calling my nearest store and camping outside it for a good couple hours.

:)

Mudbug
Jul 28, 2003, 01:47 PM
running what? 10.2.7? Should we expect a SWUpdate soon? It seems to make sense to me that they would want demo machines to be running a fairly stable OS, so I would guess that Panther would not be in there yet.

loneAzdgari
Jul 28, 2003, 02:08 PM
I read in Macuser that Mac OS X 10.2.7 is expected to be a release designed for the G5 and won't be available via SWUpdate. I think it has something do to with the fact that 10.2.7 has a new DVD Player with Dolby Surround Sound support. (Which is also coming with Panther)

Jerry Spoon
Jul 28, 2003, 02:34 PM
Looks like I'll be visiting the St. Louis apple store soon. I've been staying away just waiting for the G5 to finally show up!

jaedreth
Jul 28, 2003, 02:58 PM
It is Apple's trend and procedure to have a new OS revision to support a new hw revision, and if the os revision has no new feature/bug fix updates to it that would benefit computers other than the new rev, then the new rev will be only for that one product.

However, many times they do not even update the rev number. For example, machines that come with 10.2.4 have machine specific code and thus can be booted by 10.2.5 or 10.2.6 cds assuming they exist, or by their bundled install/restore disc, but not by a generic retail 10.2.4 cd.

So it might still be called 10.2.6, as to curb the customer's desire to demand a 10.2.7 on earlier machines.

If they don't, and they do call it a 10.2.7 due to drastic rewrites to support the hardware (aka base the rev on programming differences instead of a marketing decision), then it will be a big call driver for applecare. Please don't add to it. The OS that comes with the G5 tower will be meant only for that machine, I assure you.

Jaedreth

Freg3000
Jul 28, 2003, 03:55 PM
This is a good thing. At least at the Apple store there shouldn't be a guy surrounding the thing, watching everything you do on the machine. Oh wait a minute, I remember, I couldn't even touch them at MacWorld. :(

Hopefully I will be able to pretty soon.

cb911
Jul 28, 2003, 04:54 PM
that would be sweet to finally see them in person! :D i just hope they come out here to Oz at the same time.

tizza
Jul 28, 2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by cb911
i just hope they come out here to Oz at the same time.
Yes, let's hope they do come to Oz straight way - heck we pay enough for Macs here, we may as well get them on time!!! I'll be interested to see how noisy the G5's are with all those fans ...

Rower_CPU
Jul 28, 2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by tizza
I'll be interested to see how noisy the G5's are with all those fans ...

According to Apple, 35db, or the same as ambient room noise.

Mac Kiwi
Jul 28, 2003, 06:50 PM
What do you guys think the chances are that the Rev As wont need to much tweaking?,as opposed to waiting for B,which if its like A {release date} could be released this time next year as opposed to earlier.

dallastigers
Jul 28, 2003, 09:06 PM
CompUSA's website is saying that the G5s will ship to them from their supplier on August 5th.

JtheLemur
Jul 28, 2003, 09:17 PM
sorry, those 'estimated ship dates' are shots in the dark. =\

ogun7
Jul 28, 2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Mac Kiwi
What do you guys think the chances are that the Rev As wont need to much tweaking?,as opposed to waiting for B,which if its like A {release date} could be released this time next year as opposed to earlier.

Do you really think ANYONE can actually WAIT for a revision B !?!?

wizard
Jul 28, 2003, 09:30 PM
While there are always the possibilities of hardware issues in the first revs, I do not consider this the reason to wait for rev B's. I see two issues that might make the wait worthwhile.

First; if Apple is expected to hit 3GHz by this time next year, and they release an update in between , it would make sense if that update contained a top of the line model running at 2.5 GHz. That should be a significant jump in performance. Further that jump will probally be needed to remain king of the hill.

Second; if anybody at Apple has any sense at all they would release a new rev to the enclosure. This rev would have a front mounted user accessible drive baY!!!!!!!!!!!

I think what we will see is the possible software bug or two. Unless you have a critical application I would not worry about those as they eventually get ironed out.

Dave

Originally posted by Mac Kiwi

dallastigers
Jul 28, 2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by JtheLemur
sorry, those 'estimated ship dates' are shots in the dark. =\

I kind of figured that but was wondering if anyone had checked their site before and seen a different date

WiSE CHiHUAHUA
Jul 28, 2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by dallastigers
CompUSA's website is saying that the G5s will ship to them from their supplier on August 5th.

In that screenshot, They say the G5 is a minitower, heck that ain't no mini tower, it's larger than the G4.

WiSE CHiHUAHUA
Jul 28, 2003, 11:26 PM
Hope they got demos at Mall of America by Thursday.

Gyroscope
Jul 29, 2003, 03:24 AM
At last

Now i ll be able to break into store and steal one.

It was about the time.

mikeh123
Jul 29, 2003, 03:28 AM
Actually don't expect shipping G5's before September. 1.6's will be out first by the end of August.

Apple resellers will not be receiving 1.8 's and 2 Ghz models until the 3rd week of September (thats the official date anyway)

Dahl
Jul 29, 2003, 04:08 AM
Well, that sucks! :(

Mac Kiwi
Jul 29, 2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by wizard
While there are always the possibilities of hardware issues in the first revs, I do not consider this the reason to wait for rev B's. I see two issues that might make the wait worthwhile.

First; if Apple is expected to hit 3GHz by this time next year, and they release an update in between , it would make sense if that update contained a top of the line model running at 2.5 GHz. That should be a significant jump in performance. Further that jump will probally be needed to remain king of the hill.

Second; if anybody at Apple has any sense at all they would release a new rev to the enclosure. This rev would have a front mounted user accessible drive baY!!!!!!!!!!!

I think what we will see is the possible software bug or two. Unless you have a critical application I would not worry about those as they eventually get ironed out.

Dave

Ya thats kind of what I thought Wizard :)

0gun 7 - Lol ya I dont know if I can wait.

The only thing stopping me from ordering right at this time,is I just know if I order a 2ghz now and a 23 inch LCD and also order a ATI 9800,that Apple are going to release drivers for the Fire or Quadro cards and update the displays after I have done so,that would really snot me big time.I really need a Quadro or Fire card for 3D,but I will just cross my fingers.

Stu.

onemilkid
Jul 29, 2003, 07:19 AM
I actually had my hands on this power horse (Dual 2GHz with 4 Gig RAM, 23 and 20" Apple Screens) last week during a road show in Germany. And can tell you this thing is very quiet. We opened 12 HiRes QuickTime Movies and had Maya running. Both processors were running on high performance for quite a while. we had to close the door and windows to even hear the fans. Everybody (about 6 people) were very astound. me personally because the fan sound was very undisturbing, by that I mean that db is not everything, because I find fans often not loud but annoing. The G5 sound is subliminal.

The craftsmanship of the tower is amazing. all aluminum. slick as hell. drives can be put out without screws.

If you have questions just post it here

Mac Kiwi
Jul 29, 2003, 07:27 AM

Did you do any rendering in Maya at all?

onemilkid
Jul 29, 2003, 07:33 AM
I'm not very found in Maya, but the other guys told me that it was hard work that G5 did. And these 12 Trailers were all playing in QuickTime, that wasn't so clear in my last post.

BTW If I could afford such a baby, I would open the side all the time and look thru the clear plastic all the time. I never saw such a well-made and organized technical stuff, maybe iPod.

msp
Jul 29, 2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by onemilkid
BTW If I could afford such a baby, I would open the side all the time and look thru the clear plastic all the time. I never saw such a well-made and organized technical stuff, maybe iPod. [/B]

Well I asked this a LinuxTag Germany and the answer was : No it is not possible to run the G5 with open doors, as there is a sensor, stopping the G5 if the door is opened.
But well you could short this sensor to allow this, but I think this would void warranty.

onemilkid
Jul 29, 2003, 08:29 AM
I know that the ventilation needs a closed side, but therefore they build a clear plastic door.

We had the computer running for 2 hours with opened doors (but with plastic lid on)

Just to have a look a the components.

big
Jul 29, 2003, 09:05 AM
just gonna sit back and wait for the G5 Powerbooks, whats that time line like? another year?

picklescott
Jul 29, 2003, 09:39 AM
just called my local apple store (tampa)... he said they won't get demo units until they actually receive the products which should be "late sept... er... august"

millarj
Jul 29, 2003, 09:47 AM

Did you get any idea of the kind of heat they put out?

onemilkid
Jul 29, 2003, 09:56 AM
I can tell you that the casing didn't get warm or hot at all, knowing that my little PowerBook is a little warming compagnion in the winter.

I checked the air after the heaving usage and it was not hot at all, it was warm, but the room wasn't that cool either. On that day it was around 34 Celsuis (it think like 93 Fahrenheit) and the room had like 25 Celsius (should be 65 Fahrenheit) which is above normal room temparature.

Doraemon
Jul 29, 2003, 10:00 AM
I called the store where I ordered mine yesterday and they told me that they are expecting shipping not before early September. Perhaps even later.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 29, 2003, 10:15 AM
I was talking to an Apple employee at the Clarendon store a week or so ago and he said that when they first got the 17" PBs in, they couldn't use them at first, because they had to be put in the window for display only :eek: :confused:

I hope that's not the case with the G5s!

D

rainman::|:|
Jul 29, 2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I was talking to an Apple employee at the Clarendon store a week or so ago and he said that when they first got the 17" PBs in, they couldn't use them at first, because they had to be put in the window for display only :eek: :confused:

I hope that's not the case with the G5s!

D

what a pity, you'd think they would have empty cases for that purpose! i sure as hell wouldn't let a G5 go rot in a window, if i ran the store... total waste. even temporarily.

unless, of course, it's folding... >:)

pnw

Mac Kiwi
Jul 29, 2003, 07:10 PM
I just saw a report from Siggraph and the G5 is flying in Pixars booth :D .They have a dual xeon 2.8 running icc and a G5 running gcc and the G5 is still a bit faster :D The Pixar guys said they think they can get more out of it yet as well.

Dual Xeon 2.8 icc 4.04 sec {PR renderman}

Dual G5 2ghz gcc 3.36 sec {PR renderman}

Apple does not have one running in its booth strangely enough...

Stu.

StarmanDeluxe
Jul 29, 2003, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I was at SIGGRAPH. Seeing a G5 at Pixar's booth but not at Apple's was a surprise. Incredibly, the Pixar guy said I could play with it. So I did. It's pretty fast :D

Multimedia
Jul 30, 2003, 06:48 PM
I know that the ventilation needs a closed side, but therefore they build a clear plastic door.

We had the computer running for 2 hours with opened doors (but with plastic lid on)

Just to have a look a the components. Did you try ripping a few songs in iTunes 4 to see how fast it rips AAC files @ 160 kbps? Anybody please?

This is such an obvious test needed that it is killing me no one has done it and reported it yet. I need the X number.

Dual 1.25 and 1.43 G4's rip at only 16-18x. This is pathetic. Can anyone confirm ripping to be 50x on a dual 2 G5 please? This is my dream/fantasy - Ripping entire CDs in one minute.

Mac Kiwi
Jul 30, 2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by StarmanDeluxe
Yeah, I was at SIGGRAPH. Seeing a G5 at Pixar's booth but not at Apple's was a surprise. Incredibly, the Pixar guy said I could play with it. So I did. It's pretty fast :D

Ya that puts my mind at rest some,especially seeing as the xeon was running icc and the G5 was still a bit quicker :) Did I read somewhere that Intels compiler is basically rigged to make the benchs look better then they should?

My thoughts were if Apple had a G5 in their booth that they mght have had a nice sexy new display to complement it,so much for trying to be cunning :D

Stu.

nospleen
Jul 30, 2003, 07:15 PM
I actually had my hands on this power horse (Dual 2GHz with 4 Gig RAM, 23 and 20" Apple Screens) last week during a road show in Germany. And can tell you this thing is very quiet. We opened 12 HiRes QuickTime Movies and had Maya running. Both processors were running on high performance for quite a while. we had to close the door and windows to even hear the fans. Everybody (about 6 people) were very astound. me personally because the fan sound was very undisturbing, by that I mean that db is not everything, because I find fans often not loud but annoing. The G5 sound is subliminal.

The craftsmanship of the tower is amazing. all aluminum. slick as hell. drives can be put out without screws.

After using it for a while, what do you think of the performance? I am curious to know how fast it felt overall? For someone who only uses it 25% for video editing and 75% for email, pics, web, etc.., is it worth it? I sold my dual 1.42, but now I am thinking of ordering a dual 1.25 instead of the 1.8 or dual 2.0. I can get one for 1399, so I am started to wonder if the extra cash is worth it. Is this thing in a class by itself, or should I hang on to my cash and get a dual 1.25. Thanks!!

Flynnstone
Jul 31, 2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by millarj
Did you get any idea of the kind of heat they put out?

I have a DP 867 at work and I played with several G5s at WWDC. I would say the DP 867 puts out more heat in my opinion. The G5 was quite cool ... literally :)

Multimedia
Jul 31, 2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by nospleen
After using it for a while, what do you think of the performance? I am curious to know how fast it felt overall? For someone who only uses it 25% for video editing and 75% for email, pics, web, etc.., is it worth it? I sold my dual 1.42, but now I am thinking of ordering a dual 1.25 instead of the 1.8 or dual 2.0. I can get one for 1399, so I am started to wonder if the extra cash is worth it. Is this thing in a class by itself, or should I hang on to my cash and get a dual 1.25. Thanks!! Where is the dual 1.25 $1399? MDD or FW800? New or refurbished? OS 9 bootable or not? February 2003 or June 2003 or last year's MDD?

nospleen
Jul 31, 2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Multimedia
Where is the dual 1.25 $1399? MDD or FW800? New or refurbished? OS 9 bootable or not? February 2003 or June 2003 or last year's MDD?

FW800, refurb, os X only. www.macwarehouse.com

minimecpy
Aug 4, 2003, 02:45 PM
onemilkid, does the g5 look good next to a cinema display? I feel like i jumped the gun now that I hear about new displays and all (I got a 20" cinema). Does it overall feel snappy? How about graphics? Smooth? Anything that could be improved on design? Please post!!!

Thanks a lot for telling us.
-Chase

onemilkid
Aug 5, 2003, 01:11 AM
Well, the displays look very good, but not that fitting I would say.

I also hope that accompanioning displays will come soon.

More important I think are a new keyboard and mouse, because the one they come with, look rather cheap, even though they are one of the best k/m on the market.

It felt very snappy, even with several apps running.

The case design is awesome, not as loveable as iMac, iPod aso. But as Ive put it: "honest".