PDA

View Full Version : Ingmar Bergman dies at 89

----Bowie----
Jul 30, 2007, 11:49 AM
Legendary film-maker Ingmar Bergman, one of the key figures in modern cinema, dies at the age of 89.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6921960.stm

Mavimao
Jul 30, 2007, 03:28 PM
An important figure in cinema sadly gone, but I feel he's lived a long and fruitful life.

juanm
Jul 31, 2007, 04:57 AM
Paris Hilton loses inheritance thread: 50 posts
Ingmar Bergman dies thread: 1 post

:rolleyes:

Brize
Jul 31, 2007, 07:30 AM
Blimey, Bergman one day and Antonioni the next. Jean-Luc Godard must be casting a few nervous glances over his shoulder right now.

For what it's worth, Fanny and Alexander is just about the most perfect film I've ever seen.

Jovian9
Jul 31, 2007, 09:01 AM
I absolutely love 'The Seventh Seal'.....as well as 'Wild Strawberries'.

My viewing of his work is very limited but I'd love to see a lot more of it.

irmongoose
Jul 31, 2007, 10:55 AM
He will be missed.

irmongoose

DAC47
Jul 31, 2007, 01:07 PM
Now Antonioni as well
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6923785.stm

I've met loads of photographers who were inspired by Blow Up

TheAnswer
Jul 31, 2007, 01:26 PM
Even though I've only seen a couple of Bergman's early works, he definitely had a great impact on cinema. Maybe not as influential as some others, merely because of his very personal approach to his work, but a genius that inspired many and evoked the human spirit through his films.

I've seen more of Antonioni's oeuvre, and the loss of two giants of the art in such proximity is definitely a clarion call to all of us to attempt a deeper appreciation for their works and for all creative types not to squander any opportunity or spare any portion of their talent in order to portray the intricacies of the human condition.

Corrosive vinyl
Jul 31, 2007, 04:14 PM
I was sent an email of a report about him dying the morning it happened. I wasn't shocked, but was very glad that I heard earlier that he finally decided to retire a few years before his death, so he could some time enjoying life instead of movies.

three classic movies by him were the seventh seal, wild strawberries, and the magic flute. definitely soul searching movies which left a mark on you.

2nyRiggz
Jul 31, 2007, 05:02 PM
He lived a long and fruitful life....RIP to a great film maker.

Bless