PDA

View Full Version : Folding@home...

iMax531
Jul 29, 2003, 02:35 AM
Hey everyone. I've been surfng this site for a long long time, probably over two years now, and I had an account which I rarely used, and since I started it my email has changed, I forgot my password, etc...

Anyway, I decided it was time to start a new account. Anyhow, my first question is about folding, as the title would suggest:

I downloaded the graphic client from the stanford website, and I have it running for team 3446... But I haven't shown up on the Macrumors team website, and I'va had it running for a little while now and the progress bar is still 0.0... is this normal?

If not, what the heck am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

-iMax

britboy
Jul 29, 2003, 03:13 AM
First off, that isn't normal. What are the specs of the computer you're running folding on? Secondly, you won't show up on the stats pages until after you've submitted your first work unit. That normally takes about an hour to update.

If you have any other questions, check the folding@home FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=21908).
Also, for future reference, there's a forum dedicated to distributed computing, here (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=19) :)

iMax531
Jul 29, 2003, 11:08 AM
I left it running overnight, about 8 hours, and I;m at 12.8 percent, and it's using a good 80-90% of my cpu, and I'm running this on a Powerbook G4 1Ghz with 1GB of RAM, so it should be running pretty quick...

is 12.8 percent for eight hours normalish?

Vlade
Jul 29, 2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by iMax531

is 12.8 percent for eight hours normalish?

It depends on what work unit, what is the units name? They are all different.

iMax531
Jul 29, 2003, 12:58 PM
the name of it is p909_vill_str0

I'm assuming it's just a large or complex one. After about 10 hours now, it's 15% done... I guess It's working ok.

thanks!

britboy
Jul 29, 2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by iMax531
the name of it is p909_vill_str0

I'm assuming it's just a large or complex one. After about 10 hours now, it's 15% done... I guess It's working ok.

thanks!

If you check the stanford project summary (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html) page, you'll see your protein near the bottom of the list. It has a deadline of 11 days. At your current rate, you'll be done in about 3 days. Seems right to me.

Glad to be of help :)

Vlade
Jul 29, 2003, 03:25 PM
At one point I had the one right under it, 910, 57 points, and it was almost twice as fast as the 53 pointer i'm working on now, so 909 might be a fast one too.

vannote
Aug 1, 2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Vlade
At one point I had the one right under it, 910, 57 points, and it was almost twice as fast as the 53 pointer i'm working on now, so 909 might be a fast one too.

I was pretty happy when my machines picked up more 500K step WUs because I had received 50+ points for similiar WUs in the past. One of my machines gave birth to a 500K WU this morning and they only gave me 33 points. :mad:

I have to remember to check the point assignments before feeling good about large work units.