PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Store Tops Three Billion Songs

xUKHCx
Jul 31, 2007, 08:24 AM
To give it it's proper home

Apple's iTunes tops 3 billion songs...
http://uk.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUKWEN989220070731

Backed up by appleinsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/07/31/apples_itunes_store_3_billion_served.html)

Apple's iTunes Store: 3 billion served

By AppleInsider Staff
Published: 09:00 AM EST

Apple said Tuesday that more than three billion songs have been purchased and downloaded from the iTunes Store since its inception back in April of 2003.

The Apple download service has grown into the world’s most popular online music, TV and movie store -- featuring a catalog of over five million songs, 550 television shows and 500 movies.

“We’d like to thank all of our customers who have contributed to this incredible milestone,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s vice president of iTunes.

The iTunes Store also recently surpassed Amazon and Target to become the third largest music retailer in the US.

That is a lot of songs.

avigalante
Jul 31, 2007, 08:31 AM
To give it it's proper home

Backed up by appleinsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/07/31/apples_itunes_store_3_billion_served.html)

That is a lot of songs.

Thanks for moving this here... My macrumors kept disconnecting for some reason... :confused: ...tis why I posted in the other discussion thread

Jeffrey903
Jul 31, 2007, 08:52 AM
I created this graph using the dates from the Apple Press Releases to see how the iTunes store is growing (and it is growing VERY quickly):

http://image.bayimg.com/iaegnaabp.jpg

MacRumors
Jul 31, 2007, 08:57 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple announced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/07/31itunes.html) today that they have sold over 3 Billion songs through the iTunes store.
“We’d like to thank all of our customers who have contributed to this incredible milestone,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s vice president of iTunes.

Apple first opened the iTunes store (http://www.macrumors.com/2003/04/28/new-ipods-new-apple-music-service-itunes-4/) in April of 2003.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/31/itunes-store-tops-three-billion-songs/)

morespce54
Jul 31, 2007, 09:00 AM
gee, that's a lot of tracks... ;)
Keep it up! (mostly with non-dmr... ;):D)

Queso
Jul 31, 2007, 09:01 AM
That's one song for every couple on the planet :)

Sweet.

villainx
Jul 31, 2007, 09:02 AM
At the same time, somehow I don't think the record labels will be thanking Apple for preventing x billions of illegal downloads.

Eric Lewis
Jul 31, 2007, 09:02 AM
that didnt take long...id say itunes will pass best buy sooon! to #2

TitoC
Jul 31, 2007, 09:03 AM
Congratulations Apple!!! 1 billion songs in a little over 6 months.

Now on to serious business. When is the next iTunes contest with an iPod giveaway? It would make a nice announcement/contest - a multi-touch iPod for a multi-billion year.

Squonk
Jul 31, 2007, 09:09 AM

Now on to serious business. When is the next iTunes contest with an iPod giveaway? It would make a nice announcement/contest - a multi-touch iPod for a multi-billion year.

Way to go Apple! The third billion songs in 6 months, the growth is certainly accelerating! :D

psycoswimmer
Jul 31, 2007, 09:09 AM

Yeah, the last contest I can remember is when that guy bought a Coldplay album/song and won 10 iPods, an iMac, and a $10,000 iTunes gift card. Not bad. :p

dukeblue91
Jul 31, 2007, 09:10 AM
Wow that's allot of music.
Keep pushing on Apple.

overcast
Jul 31, 2007, 09:11 AM
At the same time, somehow I don't think the record labels will be thanking Apple for preventing x billions of illegal downloads.
Oh give me a break :rolleyes:

Eric Lewis
Jul 31, 2007, 09:11 AM
when will APPLE BE #1? OR EVEN NUMBER 2?

kainjow
Jul 31, 2007, 09:12 AM
Nifty.

Now how about some HD movies Apple? :mad: :)

zombitronic
Jul 31, 2007, 09:17 AM
Whoever voted negative, I'd like to hear their reason. Afraid of corporate growth, maybe?

xUKHCx
Jul 31, 2007, 09:20 AM
Do people reckon the will do another compeition when the 5 Billion Mark is up then every 5 Billion or so thereafter.

Squonk
Jul 31, 2007, 09:21 AM
Nifty.

Now how about some HD movies Apple? :mad: :)

Add me to that list too!

morespce54
Jul 31, 2007, 09:43 AM
Yeah, the last contest I can remember is when that guy bought a Coldplay album/song and won 10 iPods, an iMac, and a $10,000 iTunes gift card. Not bad. :p

oh yes... lucky bas-coldplay-lover ;)
Wasn't it for the first billion? Seems like Apple don't even have time to put up contests anymore... sales are growing too fast! :rolleyes::D

Squonk
Jul 31, 2007, 09:44 AM
oh yes... lucky bas-coldplay-lover ;)
Wasn't it for the first billion? Seems like Apple don't even have time to put up contests anymore... sales are growing too fast! :rolleyes::D

Yeah and they didn't need the contest to help make sales. The cash is just rolling in now...

dashiel
Jul 31, 2007, 09:45 AM
and people still want to believe apple isn't making money off of itunes.

syklee26
Jul 31, 2007, 09:48 AM
Apple shareholders celebrated this news by selling Apple stocks, causing 3% down.

aLoC
Jul 31, 2007, 09:49 AM
They only opened in 2003, and already are the third largest. That'll learn the incumbents to ignore technology.

cheunghy
Jul 31, 2007, 09:56 AM
Here hoping for an iTunes (at least music) Store in Hong Kong.

They even have songs from Hong Kong artists in the UK, Australia and Japan stores.

whooleytoo
Jul 31, 2007, 10:03 AM
I created this graph using the dates from the Apple Press Releases to see how the iTunes store is growing (and it is growing VERY quickly):

Thanks for the chart.

Interesting to note though, that the rate of sales seems to have gone down in the last period, for the first time; up until then it had always been on the increase. (The chart is concave up until the last data point, then convex).

If the chart is correct, it might suggest iTMS sales are starting to peak?

srobert
Jul 31, 2007, 10:08 AM
Way to go Apple! The third billion songs in 6 months, the growth is certainly accelerating! :D

Actually, looking at the graph, it looks like sales have slowed down for the frist time over the last quarter. Not sure if the sales 'slump' was for the iTunes store only or for the whole industry.

Edit: As whooleytoo demonstrated already ^_^

Montserrat
Jul 31, 2007, 10:15 AM
It does appear that sales might be slowing. Can someone do an analysis on that data to convert it from cumulative data to approximated sales per quarter, that would be really indicative of the health of iTunes.

Alternatively, post the data points (i.e. dates of press releases and quantities sold) and I'll have a bash...

alywa
Jul 31, 2007, 10:16 AM

Seasonal variation probably accounts for some of the curve, but, yes, rate of sales growth will eventually peak. Sales, however, will continue to increase (net) until Apple stops selling music (duh! ;))

A billion songs in 6 months is quite impressive, and I wouldn't be surprised to begin seeing 500 million / month within a couple of years.

The record labels are scared. Very scared.

dernhelm
Jul 31, 2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the chart.

Interesting to note though, that the rate of sales seems to have gone down in the last period, for the first time; up until then it had always been on the increase. (The chart is concave up until the last data point, then convex).

Look closely. A similar blip occured in April 2004. I doesn't mean a thing.

Montserrat
Jul 31, 2007, 10:19 AM

Might not mean a thing, you're correct. Only time will tell. If they announce 4bn before end of the year, then you're correct...

Thomas2006
Jul 31, 2007, 10:22 AM
Maybe the 10 billionth song, but I think it will be the millionth TV show, movie, or music video if these have not already been achieved.

guzhogi
Jul 31, 2007, 10:24 AM
Yay Apple! I wonder if/when the next big free iPod/Mac thing will happen. Probably at the 5 billion mark. I hope so!

samh004
Jul 31, 2007, 11:31 AM
Here hoping for an iTunes (at least music) Store in Hong Kong.

They even have songs from Hong Kong artists in the UK, Australia and Japan stores.

I think your more likely to get iTunes China, with support for Hong Kong and Macao.

The record labels are scared. Very scared.

Because they're making money ?

inkswamp
Jul 31, 2007, 11:47 AM
In other news, executives at Universal Music Group were seen sweating bullets this morning. :eek:

inkswamp
Jul 31, 2007, 11:51 AM

No, because the distribution channels that they've worked so hard to maintain and control so as to maximize their profits while screwing over the artists and retail outlets are collapsing. And as their response to electronic distribution has been primarily suing people and shutting down file sharing systems, they literally have no clue what to do next as they watch Apple and iTunes race past their expectations at breakneck speed.

Really, I think one of the suckiest places to work right now would be in the music industry (artists notwithstanding.) I can't imagine what kind of panic must be going on there right now.

Craiger77
Jul 31, 2007, 11:52 AM
Actually, looking at the graph, it looks like sales have slowed down for the frist time over the last quarter. Not sure if the sales 'slump' was for the iTunes store only or for the whole industry.

Edit: As whooleytoo demonstrated already ^_^

There are not enough data points to make this conclusion. It is a straight line between 2 and 3 billion because there were no numbers released in between. When it was less than a billion they were releasing numbers more frequently and this allows you to see a curve.

gusapple
Jul 31, 2007, 12:07 PM

Exactly, don't you know that they love to just loose it all? JK!
But also, I agree, if you looked at the Eminem post, then you would have seen that the record companies get 60.9 cents for every song sold! I don't think that the record companies are scared.
I think that it is just the time of year. Once the new iPods come in or when the holiday season rolls around, I bet those numbers will skyrocket.

whooleytoo
Jul 31, 2007, 12:15 PM

You're right (no problems with your eyesight!), there was a similar blip back then, though in this case it's a more marked break with the trend. And, with iTunes sales being so much greater now, it takes a far bigger shift to make a blip on that chart.

I guess we'll see when the next set of figures are released.

whooleytoo
Jul 31, 2007, 12:17 PM
There are not enough data points to make this conclusion. It is a straight line between 2 and 3 billion because there were no numbers released in between. When it was less than a billion they were releasing numbers more frequently and this allows you to see a curve.

You're probably right - but it isn't a straight line between 2 and 3 million - there is a data point plotted at 2.5 after which the rate of sales changes (drops) slightly.

Laglorden
Jul 31, 2007, 12:22 PM

No, look at the graph, according to that it's decelerating... The "delta" seems to have decreased in the last part of the graph (it took longer time to get from 2500 millon to 3000 millon than from 2000 to 2500)

Edit: sorry, posted before all others already pointing out this.

bob_the_gorilla
Jul 31, 2007, 12:31 PM
There are not enough data points to make this conclusion.

Damn right. If anything, the previous point looks to be anomalously high; the latest announcement fits better with the general trend.

Of course, eventually sales growth will slow down, but I doubt it'll happen for a while yet, what with more attractive purchasing prospects and the continued iPod growth...

[edit] The next announcement will show it better. 5 billion, I expect?

Heijtink
Jul 31, 2007, 12:47 PM
And iPhone growth.

I don't think the music cooperations are scared. They are just uncomfortable. Scared is a big word.

Music isn't that important to me any more as it used to be. I have an 8 GB iPod but it's mainly used for sermons and stuff.

I think at the rate music is becoming more and more a part of the youths' lifes, music will become more and more popular to purchase as a product.

Sometimes I think music has become too important in peoples lifes. It's just music. It's a weird thing actually to think about it. People pay for sounds.

But anyway. Nice to see iTunes doing well. Rather they than Wallmart or other distributers.

twoodcc
Jul 31, 2007, 12:54 PM
great news! glad to be a part of it :)

LizKat
Jul 31, 2007, 12:55 PM
They only opened in 2003, and already are the third largest. That'll learn the incumbents to ignore technology.

Quite right, but as usual when Apple gets something right, it's not just about technology. The iTunes store is one of the coolest stores on the planet. Apple is so good at designing interface options. All those link arrows that let you switch browsing categories from album to artist to genre... plus a browsing history... you can get around to wherever you want to go without having to retrace your steps, and yet you CAN retrace your steps if you want to. Knowing that makes me willing to explore their little sidebar offerings as I move around the store.

I love the store's front page. Always something different, and intriguing.

The iTunes store turned me into someone who now loves movie trailers. I never thought to just get them off the web or even off Apple web pages but I look at them all the time now when I'm in the iTunes store. Makes me a more frequent DVD customer!

Cfour
Jul 31, 2007, 01:01 PM
That's one song for every couple on the planet
That is EXACTLY what I was gonna post.
Great minds, great minds ...

But yeah, impressive figures :)

Cfour.

bigandtasty
Jul 31, 2007, 02:33 PM
With this good news I wonder why stocks are falling off so fast. Wednesday they made it up to $150 in after hours trading, yet closed today at 135.39. One would think that these stocks would keep climbing, just wondering?:cool::cool:

anubis
Jul 31, 2007, 02:49 PM
Someone post a graph of the derivative of the graph that was posted earlier. It's not the total number of songs that's important, but the rate. Take the derivative of the derivative and we can see the rate at which the sales rate changes. Those two graphs would be far more telling than the originally posted graph.

hulugu
Jul 31, 2007, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the chart.

That's just a rocket stage being jettisoned. ;)

iTMS sales will, of course, eventually stop growing at an exponential rate, but I can't help but think that it will take a long while for sales to run out of intertia.

To my own horror, I now own 630 songs from iTMS.

Black Belt
Aug 2, 2007, 11:33 AM
I wonder how much of the number are "Free Music Tuesday" songs?