PDA

View Full Version : iPod Nano Details, and Full Touchscreen iPod?

MacRumors
Jul 31, 2007, 12:39 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

9to5mac updates (http://www.9to5mac.com/ipod-nano-video-ipod-touch-both-arriving-in-one-week-34563345) with claims that sort out some of the mixed signals arriving these past two weeks surrounding upcoming versions of the iPod.

9to5mac had earlier posted (http://www.9to5mac.com/August-Aug-7-seventh-iMacs-Apple-Event-ipod-ipod-micro-nano-3450897543) a mockup of what was felt to be a next generation iPod which showed a shorter proportioned iPod. While met with some skepticism, a later ThinkSecret report (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/26/6g-ipod-coming-in-august/) corroborated the dimensions ("in some ways more resemble a BlackBerry") and confirmed that the leaked iPod interface videos (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/21/6g-ipod-user-interface-redesign-and-videos/) would be used.

This latest report (http://www.9to5mac.com/ipod-nano-video-ipod-touch-both-arriving-in-one-week-34563345) now claims that the mockup of the shorter iPod is in fact a mockup for the iPod Nano, and not the "full size" iPod as suggested. They also claim the leaked interface videos are for this upcoming Nano.
It will be about two inches square and play video (so technically we were right about being the new video iPods). It is coming in 4GB and 8GB size and will likely keep the same pricing. These little square machines are also coming in a new set of colors for all of us sick of the five already out.
This leaves room on for a high end iPod config, which is said to be a "phoneless iPhone" that many have been waiting for.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/31/iphone-nano-details-and-full-touchscreen-ipod/)

randyharris
Jul 31, 2007, 12:41 PM
I'm waiting for facts, not rumors...

:)

Frisco
Jul 31, 2007, 12:42 PM
The current Nano is perfect. That thing is plain ugly.

gloss
Jul 31, 2007, 12:44 PM
Would you pay $299 for this thing at 4GB and $399 at 8Gb? Apple thinks you will.

This makes me nervous, because it's referring to the iPod Touch.

100-120gb, plz.

edit: Interesting, they edited that and removed the capacities. Ah well.

dlastmango
Jul 31, 2007, 12:45 PM

This is MacRUMORS.com

Rumors are more fun... :p

Chris

macintel4me
Jul 31, 2007, 12:46 PM

Then go to macfacts.com instead. :p

studiomusic
2" square for the whole thing? That means about 1.5" for the screen? Kinda small for video. Even the ipod video screen is a bit too small...
I'm spoiled by my iphone I guess.

MLeepson
If it's ever coming out, 9to5mac would be getting a little call from Apple Legal.

BoyBach
Jul 31, 2007, 12:47 PM
My iPod is up for sale on eBay at the moment to help fund my 'travels' for the next 9 months.

So I hope I will still be able to a lot of $ for my £ when I'm in the USA next year.

A new iPod Nano or 'Touchcreen' iPod. Woot!

:D

trevorlsciact
Jul 31, 2007, 12:48 PM

I'm waiting for rumors, not outlandish speculation...

LillieDesigns
Jul 31, 2007, 12:48 PM
Time to sell my 2 nano's.

gusapple
Jul 31, 2007, 12:49 PM
If it's ever coming out, 9to5mac would be getting a little call from Apple Legal.

Yeah, I am going with the video of the iPods that Apple put out that were taken down.

gloss
Jul 31, 2007, 12:50 PM

I'm pretty sure that describing hardware/software is not on the same level as posting pictures/video belonging to Apple.

And that mockup is, well...a bad mockup.

carfac
Jul 31, 2007, 12:50 PM
Not impressed- 299 for 4 gig, 399 for 8 gig... Jobs taken to smoking crack again?

Wonder what the new colors will be.

Wolfpup
Jul 31, 2007, 12:51 PM
A Nano that plays video at the same price point would be perfect for me. I don't use that much storage space. Actually add and internal speaker to it and it would be perfect.

Padriac
Jul 31, 2007, 12:52 PM
While we're in speculation-land I'll note that I just don't see an iPod as a phone-less iPhone happening. At best I see the new iPod having touch controls and the basic iPod-in-the-iPhone interface, but I'll go on record as saying there is no way in hell it will have wi-fi, safari, or anything of that sort. Apple will release lower cost iPhones to hit that demographic, but not higher-end iPods.

LillieDesigns
Not impressed- 299 for 4 gig, 399 for 8 gig... Jobs taken to smoking crack again?

Brown, duh.

twoodcc
i would love for this to be true.....but i just don't see it. we'll see though. it stinks though, cuz i'm getting a new nano this weekend (tax free)

chrisgeleven
Jul 31, 2007, 12:54 PM
I don't buy an August 7th release date. iPod's almost always get updated in the September/October timeframe.

Not to mention the buy a mac get a free iPod promotion that runs through September 16th.

Guarantee we won't see a new iPod until at least September 17th.

shunpike
No way... nano's are never going 2 b like that the form factor is 2 good at the moment. plus who would want to watch a film on a device whoch would only store a couple and show them on a screen smaller than 2" square? this is very un-apple!

I vote tht this is pure speculation and should be ignored.

However i do think that the videos were real and i love them!

Analog Kid
Phoneless iPhone with a hard drive? My biggest complaint with my 60GB 5G is that I'm out of space for all the stuff I want to keep there...

WannaGoMac
Wow, why is this on the site?
I come to Macrumors for iPhone news and rumors.

Weird, what is this iPod thing you're talking about anyway?

Kidding...

Revolutionary
Jul 31, 2007, 12:56 PM
I don't buy an August 7th release date. iPod's almost always get updated in the September/October timeframe.

Not to mention the buy a mac get a free iPod promotion that runs through September 16th.

Guarantee we won't see a new iPod until at least September 17th.

Nope, they'll simply exclude the new iPod part numbers from the rebate, thus making them ineligible.

Cfour
Jul 31, 2007, 12:58 PM
That's possibly the worst mockup I have ever seen. Must of taken all of 30 seconds in PS.
Apple would never pass that off.
Better luck next time.

Cfour

gloss
Jul 31, 2007, 12:59 PM
That's possibly the worst mockup I have ever seen. Must of taken all of 30 seconds in PS.
Apple would never pass that off.
Better luck next time.

Cfour

I'm pretty sure they said themselves that it was a really, really quick mockup just for the sake of proportions.

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 31, 2007, 01:00 PM
*Ring, Ring*

9 to 5 mac secretary: Hello, how may i direct your call?

Person on the other line: May i please speak to the head blogger?

9 to 5 mac secretary: Yes one moment please

*holding*

*Head Blogger picks up*

9 to 5 mac secretary: Mr. Smith, Apple Legal Team on line one.

*Head Blogger gasps, wets his pants....*

I'm pretty sure it will go down like that within the next few days...

chrisgeleven
Jul 31, 2007, 01:01 PM
Nope, they'll simply exclude the new iPod part numbers from the rebate, thus making them ineligible.

Except, they won't do an exclusion that lasts over a month. That complicates purchases, especially when people realize the new iPods aren't eligible for the rebate.

The last two "major" iPod nano updates have happened in September (2005 when it was released, 2006 when the 2G model was released), immediately after the college buy a mac get a free ipod promotion ended for previous models.

There is no reason to suspect that this isn't the case here. If anything is released in August, it is new iMacs. Not iPod's.

hatcher146
Jul 31, 2007, 01:01 PM
so the rumored aug. 7th date is for the nanos? i thought it was for the iPods.

i dont like the idea of the nanos being shorter. i hope this is false. im waiting for the touchscreen iPod without the iPhone stuff! come on aug. 7th or sept. or whenver!!!! just release the touchscreen iPod! please? ha. :p

MacTCP
Jul 31, 2007, 01:03 PM
I like the Nano the way it currently is shaped. A square one would look pretty ugly. But if they added video, it would be nice, even if it is on a very small screen.

shu82
Jul 31, 2007, 01:04 PM
I know HTC is a cell phone company but I couldn't find a cell name that apple would use? Anyone figure it out?

corywoolf
Jul 31, 2007, 01:05 PM
Brown, duh.

Those prices would be for a nano phone. They would be 2 and 4 GB though.

drugs!
Jul 31, 2007, 01:05 PM
im surprised that there may be a release within the ipod promo going on now

Mhaddy
Jul 31, 2007, 01:06 PM
I don't even care about the Nano, I'm excited for the iPhone sans phone. :D

donlphi
Jul 31, 2007, 01:06 PM
Don't believe...

I can't believe that Apple would put something out that ugly, perhaps those dimensions, but no way that ugly.

I think the larger screen was the only thing holding Apple back from putting video on the nano screen (as well as the games). I think a slightly wider nano has some potential. I can't wait to see how they do it. :D

gloss
Jul 31, 2007, 01:07 PM
I know HTC is a cell phone company but I couldn't find a cell name that apple would use? Anyone figure it out?

The HTC Touch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Touch). So...iPod Touch.

Also:

As for the shuffles? No word yet but if everything is getting 'shuffled' down then there may be perhaps tiny screens for the smallest iPod family member? I guess they wouldn't be shuffles any more would they? What is smaller than a Nano and is saucy?

"Pico".

BoyBach
Jul 31, 2007, 01:08 PM

http://www.htctouch.com/

moez
Jul 31, 2007, 01:09 PM
i hope u cud still buy the old ones because these ones are just plain ugly!!!!

Bye Bye Baby
Jul 31, 2007, 01:12 PM
Whatever that square chunky ipod thing is- it blows. If Apple releases a ipod like that either full blown or nano you can kiss stock gains goodbye.

What on earth are they thinking. That has got to be the single most ugly looking product that anyone has ever designed. It looks like something Microsoft would try and make.

Come on Apple- we need to see some product!

corywoolf
Jul 31, 2007, 01:12 PM
Except, they won't do an exclusion that lasts over a month. That complicates purchases, especially when people realize the new iPods aren't eligible for the rebate.

The last two "major" iPod nano updates have happened in September (2005 when it was released, 2006 when the 2G model was released), immediately after the college buy a mac get a free ipod promotion ended for previous models.

There is no reason to suspect that this isn't the case here. If anything is released in August, it is new iMacs. Not iPod's.

Or Apple could just be releasing a whole new kind of iPod. It could be like when the iPod Photo came out, they still sold the 20 GB grayscale as new. Then when they were done selling the grayscale they dropped the Photo label from the iPod and it just became known as iPod. So how funny would it be if they called it the iPod Mini (with Video)?

Tom B.
Jul 31, 2007, 01:14 PM
I think they should keep the nano the same shape, but give it a vertical widescreen.

vandlism
Jul 31, 2007, 01:14 PM
You can't rely on their mockup for what the next iPod will look like. They're simply demonstrating how the dimensions will change by making it shorter/wider. Not to mention that they originally believed this to be the iPod, not the nano so to make it slightly more accurate of a mockup one would need to take a picture of a 2nd gen nano.

Personally I think video capabilities should stay galaxies away from the nano. The iTS needs to start selling higher quality videos and an bump is specs for the regular iPod would allow it to be perhaps on par with the AppleTV. Allowing the nano to playback video will only limit their abilities to offer higher quality video.

age234
Jul 31, 2007, 01:15 PM
A square iPod would be pretty ugly, IMO. As someone posted last week, it would totally ignore the Golden Ratio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio) that the current iPod sticks to so well.

m-dogg
When I read the original article, it sounds like the $299 / $399 price points are for the upcoming full-sized iPod, not the upcoming nano.

cliffjumper68

I agree, i like the fact that the nano does not play video. My 4th gen ipod worked much better at music than my five with video. I hope they raise the center button a bit too so when you are running at night you can feel the control surface.

4np
Jul 31, 2007, 01:19 PM
Phoneless iPhone with a hard drive? My biggest complaint with my 60GB 5G is that I'm out of space for all the stuff I want to keep there...

Exactly, if you want to store a lot of video and audio they need to go bigger. I would say a Phoneless iPhone with a 120 Gb harddisk :) Should be feasible... I sure hope it will have WiFi capabilities as well... would be great :)

RadioStar
Jul 31, 2007, 01:19 PM
So this is still tracking for an Aug. 7th special event release?

If that's the case - assuming a week-in-advance notice to media outlets - shouldn't we be seeing Special Event Invitations in the next couple of days?

The clock's running down on this rumor, but I hope it's true. My 4G iPod got stolen out of my car a few weeks ago and I've been waiting for a product update before I get a new one.

4np
Jul 31, 2007, 01:20 PM

Remember; it's a mockup. I'm sure Apple will release something better looking :)

bdj21ya
Well, I'm glad to hear this, it leaves hope that Apple is still working hard on a great PMP, to be released before X-mas hopefully.

aidanpendragon

When I read the original article, it sounds like the $299 / $399 price points are for the upcoming full-sized iPod, not the upcoming nano.

Yes - it's talking about the full version, not the Nano.

And the MR writeup doesn't note - the 9to5 story gives Aug. 7 as the date for BOTH the new Nano and "touch" iPods. The touch ones "are already on boxes headed for the U.S.," they say. FWIW...

Hls811
Jul 31, 2007, 01:25 PM
What happens w/ FCC and having to review the product? If it is actually a phoneless iPhone would it need to go through the same review process as a brand new product? And if so, wouldn't those records be available this close to a release?

gloss
Jul 31, 2007, 01:30 PM
What happens w/ FCC and having to review the product? If it is actually a phoneless iPhone would it need to go through the same review process as a brand new product? And if so, wouldn't those records be available this close to a release?

It's not a phone. Therefore no FCC involvement. Unless there's WiFi/BlueTooth.

I think?

corywoolf
Jul 31, 2007, 01:30 PM

The FCC can usually just keep it private until the release. Otherwise how would anything ever be a surprise release? :p

agentkow
Jul 31, 2007, 01:31 PM
All the naysayers on this thread aside, this is the best rumour news I've heard this year, especially with the hope of new Nanos IN ADDITION to new full-screen iPods.

Schtumple
Jul 31, 2007, 01:34 PM
2 inch square seams too ridiculous for a nano

Didn't apple say they were going to completely update it's entire ipod line up this year?

Maybe this updates for the shuffle not the nano.

corywoolf
Jul 31, 2007, 01:36 PM
It's not a phone. Therefore no FCC involvement. Unless there's WiFi/BlueTooth.

I think?

Every iPod has to go through the FCC. Just look on the back of your iPod.

JohnnyQuest
Jul 31, 2007, 01:38 PM
So it's been about two years since the 5g iPod was released. There is speculation on a release date of August 7. Now new nano rumors and touch screen iPod. Here's what I think will happen:

The new iMacs will come out August 7 along with iLife and iWork '08 (since 2007 is halfway over) and a new iPod. With touch-screen. Name? iPod Touch. This is the name that would piss HTC off. Then, after the back to school promotion is over, the new Nano's will be released. The will be shorter and have wide screens to watch videos. They'll probably be red, orange, blue, green, and black. They would be metal thus giving a "Macbooky" look. There's no way in hell that the Nano's would be updated before the full size iPods. They've only been out for a year while the full-size have been out for MUCH MUCH MUCH longer. This is just speculation, but I believe this is how the next couple of months will unfold.

corywoolf
Jul 31, 2007, 01:38 PM
2 inch square seams too ridiculous for a nano

Didn't apple say they were going to completely update it's entire ipod line up this year?

Maybe this updates for the shuffle not the nano.

The shuffle doesn't need to be updated, they can just leave that the same for another year and people will still buy it. The nano should have a minor update and the iPod should get an overhaul.

gloss
Jul 31, 2007, 01:39 PM
Every iPod has to go through the FCC. Just look on the back of your iPod.

It's in my car's glove compartment.

But note that I did qualify my statement. ;)

Still, I'm not sure why they'd be involved since it's not really a communications device. When I Google 'FCC approval' all I get are a bunch of stories concerning mobile phones. Couldn't find anything on iPods.

Klian
Jul 31, 2007, 01:41 PM
Is the 7th August the new Apple Buy Day ?

age234
Jul 31, 2007, 01:41 PM
It's in my car's glove compartment.

But note that I did qualify my statement. ;)

Still, I'm not sure why they'd be involved since it's not really a communications device. When I Google 'FCC approval' all I get are a bunch of stories concerning mobile phones. Couldn't find anything on iPods.
Pretty much every electronic device capable of transmitting or receiving a signal of any kind has to go through the FCC.

RadioStar
Jul 31, 2007, 01:42 PM
So is 9to5mac generally seen as reliable or not?

thesdx
Jul 31, 2007, 01:42 PM
This all makes sense now. I hope this really happens. :D

gloss
Jul 31, 2007, 01:43 PM
Pretty much every electronic device capable of transmitting or receiving a signal of any kind has to go through the FCC.

Hm. Thanks. I've been trying to look that up and can't really find much. I'll take you at your word.

ortuno2k
Jul 31, 2007, 01:44 PM
*Ring, Ring*

9 to 5 mac secretary: Hello, how may i direct your call?

Person on the other line: May i please speak to the head blogger?

9 to 5 mac secretary: Yes one moment please

*holding*

*Head Blogger picks up*

9 to 5 mac secretary: Mr. Smith, Apple Legal Team on line one.

*Head Blogger gasps, wets his pants....*

I'm pretty sure it will go down like that within the next few days...

Hey!
The Apple Legal Team caller doesn't tell the secretary that it's Apple Legal Team on the line - how did the secretary come up with that?
Could have been another "source" with more information!

Anyways, yea, by the way, that mockup is FUGLY.. :rolleyes:

BoyBach
Jul 31, 2007, 01:45 PM
So is 9to5mac generally seen as reliable or not?

I'll tell you on August 7th.

;)

roland.g
Jul 31, 2007, 01:46 PM
Really, if new iPods of any sort arrive before new iMacs, then that's just wrong, plain and simple wrong.

age234
Jul 31, 2007, 01:51 PM
Hm. Thanks. I've been trying to look that up and can't really find much. I'll take you at your word.
Thanks, but you don't have to take my word for it. Just look at the bottom/back of pretty much anything electronic and you'll find the FCC logo somewhere on it:

http://medicalconnectivity.com/gems/Blog%20Photos/FCC-logo.jpg

tennismanclay
Jul 31, 2007, 01:53 PM
So it's been about two years since the 5g iPod was released. There is speculation on a release date of August 7. Now new nano rumors and touch screen iPod. Here's what I think will happen:

The new iMacs will come out August 7 along with iLife and iWork '08 (since 2007 is halfway over) and a new iPod. With touch-screen. Name? iPod Touch. This is the name that would piss HTC off. Then, after the back to school promotion is over, the new Nano's will be released. The will be shorter and have wide screens to watch videos. They'll probably be red, orange, blue, green, and black. They would be metal thus giving a "Macbooky" look. There's no way in hell that the Nano's would be updated before the full size iPods. They've only been out for a year while the full-size have been out for MUCH MUCH MUCH longer. This is just speculation, but I believe this is how the next couple of months will unfold.

Gawd i hope your right.

I for one have a 5g ipod thats great, and i will not be purchasing another ipod until it has touchscreen capabilities and hopefully safari *drool*. This would be awesome if it came out this august. If not i guess another 1 and a half years for the 7g touchscreen. =[

gloss
Jul 31, 2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks, but you don't have to take my word for it. Just look at the bottom/back of pretty much anything electronic and you'll find the FCC logo somewhere on it:

As I said, in the car. ;)

I believe it, though. Just wasn't personally sure.

vandlism
Jul 31, 2007, 01:54 PM
So has MWNY been reborn on August 7th or what? There seems to be a lot of expectations on product updates around that time.

iMac
iWork '08
iLife '08
iPod touch
iPod nano
iTunes
iPhone updates

If August 7 delivers any one of these it would be great, but wow, talk about refreshing the 'i' products.

gusapple
Jul 31, 2007, 02:02 PM
So has MWNY been reborn on August 7th or what? There seems to be a lot of expectations on product updates around that time.

iMac
iWork '08
iLife '08
iPod touch
iPod nano
iTunes
iPhone updates

If August 7 delivers any one of these it would be great, but wow, talk about refreshing the 'i' products.

I really agree. It is way too much to expect. I think that September is a better time for iPod speculation.

Data
Jul 31, 2007, 02:13 PM
Did you see the pictures, if never seen something so ugly, lol.

rockthecasbah
Jul 31, 2007, 02:15 PM
That as iPod Nano? Oh please... Apple has been marketing the Nano towards the exercise and ultra portable market, bulking up the Nano makes its name an oxymoron! I really hope there is just no "square" iPods period. Though I guess if they release the full size touch screen iPod it won't really affect me :p

zedsdead
Jul 31, 2007, 02:21 PM
My thoughts:

(1) Everything will not come out in one day on August 7th...that is simply ridiculous.

(2) iMac's will be the first of the new Apple products, and will be much beefier, ie. Quad-Core, 2 gigs of Ram, NVIDIA 8600/8800 Video Cards, 320/500 Gig...as the standard config (maybe a Dual-Core in the 20" with a BTO).

(3) The iPod Nanos will be out and be able to play video (I doubt it will simply look like a shorter iPod video...likely in September)

(4) The Widescreen iPod Video will come out in October and be a touch screen...however, the interface will be like the Apple TV and Front Row. It may include a camera since the iPods are great with photos already. I do not expect Wifi as that will hurt iPhone sales. The screen will be the same specs as the iPhone.

(5) Leopard gets released at the latest possible Friday (Oct 26th), with the addition of the updated Mac Pros (finally...as it is embarrassing that they have not been updated...the highest end Mac only comes with 1 gig of Ram? Please...)

tranced25
Jul 31, 2007, 02:27 PM

Okay, so this is really getting me worried..... The iTouch (fully touch screen) iPod is a bad idea, at least for me. I purchased my iPhone on day 1, then attempted to swap the 80GB ipod in my car. Guess what? I still have to use 2 machines. The touch screen interface is downright dangerous while driving. With my iPod, if my album ends, I can always just feel for the click wheel quite easily to get it to play something, without hindering my driving at all. The touch screen on my iPhone requires you to look at it waaaaay too much. Unlock/slide/press iPod button/select artist...... and so on. After 2 days of silent road trips, my 80GB was back.

Now, if the supposed iTouch included some buttons (i think 3 would suffice, play/pause, forward, backward) that would get my AmEx flying outta my wallet!

I know a few car makers are already trying to offer full iPhone/iPod integration, and control through the factory stereo. This makes all the difference, however it in not at all widely used. Most car makers are only including a dedicated line-in jack that will take a connection from anything, still commanding that you must use the control on the iPod itself.

Although I absolutely adore my iPhone, and wouldn't dream of parting with it, it is still not the replace-all product for me. Mainly because of the touchscreen-only controls while driving, and the difficult (heavy) wearability while working out/running. Subsequently, I rely on three iDevices.

If the next gen iPod is touch screen only, I will have to pass.... even though I'll want one, LOL!

stainlessliquid
Jul 31, 2007, 02:36 PM
No way is this true. The album thumbnails in the song lists would be microscopic on a nano. It was obviously designed for the regular ipod.

CJD2112
Jul 31, 2007, 02:52 PM
Okay, so this is really getting me worried..... The iTouch (fully touch screen) iPod is a bad idea, at least for me. I purchased my iPhone on day 1, then attempted to swap the 80GB ipod in my car. Guess what? I still have to use 2 machines. The touch screen interface is downright dangerous while driving. With my iPod, if my album ends, I can always just feel for the click wheel quite easily to get it to play something, without hindering my driving at all. The touch screen on my iPhone requires you to look at it waaaaay too much. Unlock/slide/press iPod button/select artist...... and so on. After 2 days of silent road trips, my 80GB was back.

Now, if the supposed iTouch included some buttons (i think 3 would suffice, play/pause, forward, backward) that would get my AmEx flying outta my wallet!

I know a few car makers are already trying to offer full iPhone/iPod integration, and control through the factory stereo. This makes all the difference, however it in not at all widely used. Most car makers are only including a dedicated line-in jack that will take a connection from anything, still commanding that you must use the control on the iPod itself.

Although I absolutely adore my iPhone, and wouldn't dream of parting with it, it is still not the replace-all product for me. Mainly because of the touchscreen-only controls while driving, and the difficult (heavy) wearability while working out/running. Subsequently, I rely on three iDevices.

If the next gen iPod is touch screen only, I will have to pass.... even though I'll want one, LOL!

I couldn't agree more. I went through the exact same thing, tried using my iPhone in my car in place of my black 80 GB iPod and it was dangerous. I did get it to stay on without unlocking it, as the main connection through my system is a 30 pin standard iPod dock connector, which charges the iPhone and keeps the screen on while playing. However, trying to change songs or use it requires too much concentration and dexterity, which is obviously a danger while driving.

gloss
Jul 31, 2007, 02:54 PM
I couldn't agree more. I went through the exact same thing, tried using my iPhone in my car in place of my black 80 GB iPod and it was dangerous. I did get it to stay on without unlocking it, as the main connection through my system is a 30 pin standard iPod dock connector, which charges the iPhone and keeps the screen on while playing. However, trying to change songs or use it requires too much concentration and dexterity, which is obviously a danger while driving.

I guess this would be an issue. I control my iPod via the head unit, so it doesn't matter to me, but it's still a potential problem.

Cavemate K
Jul 31, 2007, 03:01 PM
Fiddling around with ANY iPod while driving is dangerous (just like radios, cellphones, etc.). Best to pick a playlist, stick with it, then start up the car and drive.

As far as clickwheels being better to use in terms of looking for songs to change, they're only better than touch screens if you don't have a lot of folders to choose from. If you have a dozen or more playlists, scrolling down to the right one is pretty tough without looking to make sure.

Cavemate K
Jul 31, 2007, 03:05 PM
Oh, yeah, and... didn't Apple apply for a patent on a virtual clickwheel a while back? Maybe (and hopefully you've heard it here first!:D) the new touch screen iPods will give users the option to choose on the same device either an iPhone interface or a virtual clickwheel interface similar to the ones being used now.

alansky
Jul 31, 2007, 03:07 PM
A Photoshop job, pure and simple. Not even a very clever one. Not to mention that making the next-gen video iPod smaller instead of making the screen bigger would be unbelievably dumb. Ditto for turning the sleek Nano form factor into a chunky miniature version of the full-size iPod.

Wolfpup
Jul 31, 2007, 03:11 PM
I'm glad the iPhone at least has hardware volume buttons, but I would hate losing hardware play/pause buttons. I *HATED* my 3G iPod's all-touch interface. Hated that thing with a passion.

Just adding a few more buttons might make all the difference.

To get around the car issue, I have a smart playlist that collects all my unplayed podcasts. That's usually good enough, so I can control it just with the volume and play/pause controls.

corywoolf
Jul 31, 2007, 03:16 PM

Actually no, the nano and iPod were closely updated. Remember the 60 GB went to 80 GB and they gained gapless playback, search feature, cool games, etc. The nano switched to look more like mini and gained different colors. I agree that the iPod will get an update before the nano though. I highly doubt Apple will change the form factor of the nano much. Eh, this is a really crappy mock up I whipped together, it's what I picture. ;)

Wolfpup
Jul 31, 2007, 03:16 PM
A Photoshop job, pure and simple. Not even a very clever one. Not to mention that making the next-gen video iPod smaller instead of making the screen bigger would be unbelievably dumb. Ditto for turning the sleek Nano form factor into a chunky miniature version of the full-size iPod.

We know it's a photoshop job, the article says it's a mock up. :)

L3X
Jul 31, 2007, 03:18 PM
First of all...down with the FCC. Why is the Gov telling us what kind of electronic devices we can/can't use. Get rid of 'em...

Second of all, don't knock the "new" nano until you see it. Apple products always look better in person.

If this is all true, 9to5 gets some props in my book.

theBB
Jul 31, 2007, 03:19 PM
You are a dream customer. :)

Wolfpup
Jul 31, 2007, 03:22 PM
First of all...down with the FCC. Why is the Gov telling us what kind of electronic devices we can/can't use. Get rid of 'em...

Whaaaat?!? Are you referring to the approval process for wireless stuff? I seriously doubt the FCC is as strenuous as they should be. WITHOUT them we'd all be getting cancer from dangerous radio products and having all our devices conflict with each other and block out other broadcasts.

aswitcher
Jul 31, 2007, 03:23 PM
Looks like a good deal to me. I hope they do Black.

GB video in an ultraportable pocket sized device is a good deal - although I wonder about the Nike stuff. They should just give this thing BT and the Nike remote the same so it works well and hackers can make it do all sorts of other things. Even better if they threw in GPS - maybe next year I guess.

gloss
Jul 31, 2007, 03:39 PM
I find it hilarious that the guy on 9to5mac edits and censors comments.

I posted:

HTC Touch. iPod Touch. Makes sense.

Also:

Smaller and 'saucier' than Nano? Pico!

it was posted as:

HTC Advantage. iPod Advantage. Makes sense.

Also:

Smaller and 'saucier' than Nano? Micro!

Nice.

CJD2112
Jul 31, 2007, 03:55 PM
Fiddling around with ANY iPod while driving is dangerous (just like radios, cellphones, etc.). Best to pick a playlist, stick with it, then start up the car and drive.

As far as clickwheels being better to use in terms of looking for songs to change, they're only better than touch screens if you don't have a lot of folders to choose from. If you have a dozen or more playlists, scrolling down to the right one is pretty tough without looking to make sure.

I agree, however I have one playlist on my iPod that I only use for the road. So, when I want to change a song, I don't need to take my eyes off the road, just click the forward button. The tactile feel and sound tell me that the song is changing, which the iPhone lacks. Plus, you have to be very specific as to where and how you touch the iPhone screen to get it to work.

Hairball
Jul 31, 2007, 04:02 PM
Looks like a good deal to me. I hope they do Black.

GB video in an ultraportable pocket sized device is a good deal - although I wonder about the Nike stuff. They should just give this thing BT and the Nike remote the same so it works well and hackers can make it do all sorts of other things. Even better if they threw in GPS - maybe next year I guess.

I'm actually hoping for an orange Nano.

jackc
Jul 31, 2007, 04:02 PM
I wish it was true, but August 7 seems pretty unlikely.

Clive At Five
Jul 31, 2007, 04:15 PM
Smaller and 'saucier' than Nano? Micro!

No. Not even close to true.

Deci = 10^-1
Centi = 10^-2
Milli = 10^-3
Micro = 10^-6
Nano = 10^-9
Pico = 10^-12
Femto = 10^-15
Atto = 10^-18
Zepto = 10^-21
Yocto = 10^-24

"Micro" is a thousand times bigger than "Nano."

Personally, I like iPod Pico.

-Clive

-kritter-
Jul 31, 2007, 04:16 PM
"I want proof, not leads"

gloss
Jul 31, 2007, 04:28 PM
No. Not even close to true.

Deci = 10^-1
Centi = 10^-2
Milli = 10^-3
Micro = 10^-6
Nano = 10^-9
Pico = 10^-12
Femto = 10^-15
Atto = 10^-18
Zepto = 10^-21
Yocto = 10^-24

"Micro" is a thousand times bigger than "Nano."

Personally, I like iPod Pico.

-Clive

Yeah. He removed the 'correct' answers and replaced them with nonsense. Dunno why, honestly.

Pico is most definitely what he was getting at ('saucy' = Pico de Gallo, for the less gastronomically inclined here).

looking4anotebo
Jul 31, 2007, 04:32 PM
Actually no, the nano and iPod were closely updated. Remember the 60 GB went to 80 GB and they gained gapless playback, search feature, cool games, etc. The nano switched to look more like mini and gained different colors. I agree that the iPod will get an update before the nano though. I highly doubt Apple will change the form factor of the nano much. Eh, this is a really crappy mock up I whipped together, it's what I picture. ;)

I think this concept makes the most sense. That is what I was picturing as well.

Who knows what Apple will do, but I think the best bet is on new imacs and probably ilife next week, then new nanos and ipods in the fall.

RadioStar
Jul 31, 2007, 04:35 PM
Yeah. He removed the 'correct' answers and replaced them with nonsense. Dunno why, honestly.

Pico is most definitely what he was getting at ('saucy' = Pico de Gallo, for the less gastronomically inclined here).

What if you got them right and he's just trying to avoid the C&D? :eek:

corywoolf
Jul 31, 2007, 04:39 PM

iMac
iWork '08
iLife '08
iPod touch
iPod nano
iTunes
iPhone updates

iMac in August
iWork '08 in August
iLife '08 in August
iPod touch in October
iPod nano in October
iTunes 7.4 in October
iPhone updates in January MWSF

izzle22
Jul 31, 2007, 04:44 PM
iMac in August
iWork '08 in August
iLife '08 in August
iPod touch in October
iPod nano in October
iTunes 7.4 in October
iPhone updates in January MWSF

I'm pretty sure he meant software updates on the iPhone and that should be loooooooong before January MWSF

coolego1
Jul 31, 2007, 04:48 PM
In response to the "Apple has to update the iPod before the Nano":

The Nano came out before the iPod 5G back in 2005... I told a friend of mine who was thinking about an iPod to wait back in August, and he ended up buying a 4G, thinking that the Nano was the new iPod when it came out. I waited another month and got a 5G :D.

spikeyjac
Jul 31, 2007, 04:59 PM
is there actually any confirmation that there is an updated ipod video or a touchscreen ipod going to be announced on the 7th? Thanks jack

coolego1
Jul 31, 2007, 05:03 PM
Confirmation? CONFIRMATION?!?!

We Don't Need no Confirmation!!!!

No, there's pretty much speculation and rumors, but that's what this site is (as previously stated)

Cavemate K
Jul 31, 2007, 05:04 PM
I agree, however I have one playlist on my iPod that I only use for the road. So, when I want to change a song, I don't need to take my eyes off the road, just click the forward button.

That's an excellent idea. I hope a lot more people decide to do this.

The tactile feel and sound tell me that the song is changing, which the iPhone lacks. Plus, you have to be very specific as to where and how you touch the iPhone screen to get it to work.

OTOH, if the virtual clickwheel option really does come to fruition then people can have both modes at once!

Porchland
Jul 31, 2007, 05:04 PM
Brown, duh.

Yeah, brown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX_-SoeKPOo) seems to be pretty hot right now.

JohnnyQuest
Jul 31, 2007, 05:15 PM
In response to the "Apple has to update the iPod before the Nano":

The Nano came out before the iPod 5G back in 2005... I told a friend of mine who was thinking about an iPod to wait back in August, and he ended up buying a 4G, thinking that the Nano was the new iPod when it came out. I waited another month and got a 5G :D.

True, but the full size iPod hasn't been updated in almost two years. The nano will most likely be updated after the full size iPod.

LoganT
Jul 31, 2007, 05:25 PM
I would prefer a 3" iPod Nano. It would be a nice competitor to Cowon D2.

the1payday
Jul 31, 2007, 05:34 PM
I work at Best Buy....I talked to our guy that works in the wireless department (where iPods are also sold). I asked him about august 7th and he said he couldn't "officially" tell me anything but then said to have my cash saved and that he would be holding one for me.

Now that I just got on macrumors and saw the stuff about the update possibly being the nano though...I'm not sure which one he was referring to.

milo
Jul 31, 2007, 05:42 PM
"technically we were right"

Idiots.

trevorlsciact
Jul 31, 2007, 05:50 PM

Why is it that when I see that logo, I get very angry? :confused:

Project
Jul 31, 2007, 05:57 PM
Michael Gartenberg | July 31, 2007, 05:59 PM

Just got a call that there's going to be an Apple announcement next Tuesday in Cupertino. Very interesting. I'll be out on the West Coast so I'll be sure to stop by and bring you all the news. Let the speculation begin.

http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/gartenberg/archives/2007/07/apple_event_nex.html

aswitcher
Jul 31, 2007, 06:18 PM
Michael Gartenberg | July 31, 2007, 05:59 PM

Just got a call that there's going to be an Apple announcement next Tuesday in Cupertino. Very interesting. I'll be out on the West Coast so I'll be sure to stop by and bring you all the news. Let the speculation begin.

http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/gartenberg/archives/2007/07/apple_event_nex.html

THANKS. Looking good.

MacFly123
Jul 31, 2007, 07:37 PM

Well I think you are right about the iMac. I really hope you are right about iLife and iWork so i don't have to buy iLife separate when i get my MacBook Pro next month. But you are wrong about the iPods. They will not be released until AFTER Sept. 16th when the student free iPod promo is over :D

JohnnyQuest
Jul 31, 2007, 09:56 PM
Well I think you are right about the iMac. I really hope you are right about iLife and iWork so i don't have to buy iLife separate when i get my MacBook Pro next month. But you are wrong about the iPods. They will not be released until AFTER Sept. 16th when the student free iPod promo is over :D

I think the full size iPods will be released soon, however, the Nano's will be released after the back to school promo. It would make sense.

SactoGuy18
Jul 31, 2007, 11:07 PM
What will happen on August 7, 2007 will be the release of the new iMac models, NOT new iPod model releases.

The new iPods will probably arrive around September 18, 2007. It will be available with these new models:

iPod nano--no hardware changes, but 2 GB model dropped, 4 GB model becomes low-end model, 8 GB model becomes "mainstream" model with cases in up to 12 different colors, and new 16 GB model. I think people forget most people want portable music players to play audio, not play videos.

iPod video--new 6G model that has the same physical size as the 5.5G 80 GB model (to maintain compatibility with current iPod docks), but now sports a full touch screen with either iPhone style or Click Wheel style controls. The touchscreen will be a 8:5 aspect display with the same resolution as the iPhone (320x480). There will be NO WiFi capability, but will have Bluetooth connectivity for use with wireless headsets and connection to car stereos with Bluetooth connectivity. Storage capacity will be 60 GB and 100 GB hard drive initially, and probably by Spring 2008 a a version with 32 GB flash memory.

Evangelion
Aug 1, 2007, 01:33 AM

FCC makes sure that all those devices don't interfere with each other. Would you like it if your WLAN drowned out your cell-phone signal and OTA television? I bet not. So yes, it does make sense that someone is telling us what kind of devices we can and can't use. If they didn't, someone would build a device that killed all other wireless signals in the city.

Evangelion
Aug 1, 2007, 01:36 AM

IIRC, any device capable of receiving or sending _wireless_ signal must go through the FCC. I just checked the back of my iPod Mini: No FCC logo.

robPOD
Aug 1, 2007, 03:36 AM
So apples releasing these?
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/43/41968243_full.jpg

Makes me wonder who is copying who?

LeviG
Aug 1, 2007, 07:18 AM
I'm trying to figure out why the moc up is looking like the ipod when it would obviously be aluminium. :rolleyes:

Personally can't see the point in adding video to the nano but it wouldn't convice me to change my nano.

Now if the iPod Touch (assuming it sticks) is released in over 80GB capacities then I might buy it but all depends on price and if it has wifi, I want the iPhone literally without the phone bit, I've got a perfectly good sony ericsson phone :)

edit: quick mock up which could look quite nice (everything except height is the same size)

Wolfpup
Aug 1, 2007, 09:15 AM
I'm trying to figure out why the moc up is looking like the ipod when it would obviously be aluminium. :rolleyes:

Because it was done when they thought it was going to be the regular iPod.

And *I* sure see the point to having video on the Nano (or a flash based player). I don't need the storage space of the hard drive models, and would prefer the reliability of flash, but I do like being able to play video (though I don't do it nearly as often as audio).

LeviG
Aug 1, 2007, 09:57 AM
Because it was done when they thought it was going to be the regular iPod.

well obviously :rolleyes:

but considering my mock up took all of 2 minutes to do I don't see why they haven't changed it.

drugs!
Aug 1, 2007, 10:06 AM
I work at Best Buy....I talked to our guy that works in the wireless department (where iPods are also sold). I asked him about august 7th and he said he couldn't "officially" tell me anything but then said to have my cash saved and that he would be holding one for me.

Now that I just got on macrumors and saw the stuff about the update possibly being the nano though...I'm not sure which one he was referring to.

not even apple store employees have this sort of information..

Crispy Duck
Aug 1, 2007, 10:08 AM
Wishing for all these new products is making me wish my life away.... :(

M67
Aug 1, 2007, 01:03 PM
heres my mockup of what the the new nano should be,
also id expect a 16gb model in this cycle

ABM
Aug 1, 2007, 01:12 PM

This one would be a reason to sell my old mini and buy a new nano :eek:

ppdix
Aug 1, 2007, 01:27 PM
Let's say u are a runner or biker, or use the ipod for working out...
Try to browse thru 5000 songs using a touch screen while u are on a treadmill... I think Apple needs to maintain an ipod that can be controlled without looking at it. Meaning, finger feedback... Like the awesome click-wheel which allows for basic control without looking at the screen... :cool:

vandlism
Aug 1, 2007, 01:51 PM
Try to browse thru 5000 songs using a touch screen while u are on a treadmill...

Try to browse through anything while biking or running, especially when it's in an armband. Apple knew what they were doing when they introduced the Shuffle.

vandlism
Aug 1, 2007, 01:53 PM
not even apple store employees have this sort of information..

To be fair, Best Buy does have their iPods on sale where as Apple never really has to worry about liquidating its own stock. When a company owns its own retail outlet, it probably deals with product releases a little differently than another company that needs to buy stock of the product.

vandlism
Aug 1, 2007, 02:00 PM

Though it looks pretty good, in that form it's not very feasible for a product. For one, the click-wheel would be stationary and become useless to all lefties. Secondly, if the wheel doesn't rotate then there's no reason for the screen to rotate. As such, the nano would become useless for docking stations in cars, as it would need to be turned sideways to be read.

A possible solution is to replace the printed symbols with backlights. That way an accelerometer could be added to the nano, and depending on its orientation, the different buttons would be relit for the appropriate configuration.

spikeyjac
Aug 1, 2007, 02:45 PM
so theres no chance that any of there will be announced next tuesday? Thanks jac

RadioStar
Aug 1, 2007, 03:20 PM
so theres no chance that any of there will be announced next tuesday? Thanks jac

I wouldn't say no chance, but given that this is billed as an event "focusing on the Mac," the odds of a new iPod on Thursday don't look good.

Maybe in September, though to tell you the truth the wait is getting absurd. Two years without a hardware refresh on your highest-profile product line? C'mon Steve, you can do better.

Kawasaki
Aug 1, 2007, 06:38 PM
Full touchscreen would be cool.

mrkgoo
Aug 1, 2007, 06:44 PM
Try to browse thru 5000 songs using a touch screen while u are on a treadmill... I think Apple needs to maintain an ipod that can be controlled without looking at it. Meaning, finger feedback... Like the awesome click-wheel which allows for basic control without looking at the screen... :cool:

That's why I have one of these:
http://www.ipresents.co.uk/i/stuff/apple-ipod-remote.jpg

Tom B.
Aug 1, 2007, 07:28 PM
I think Apple should make the new nanos like this (in terms of the screen).
http://www.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/cat/digitalmusic/sony_nw-a808.jpg
I really would buy one of those new Sony Video Walkmans if they officially worked with iTunes. I've even started to recommend them to friends over iPods. Hopefully this will change soon.

And I don't believe that mock-up is any where near the truth. Apple would never make the new iPod nanos bigger than the current ones (unless they added phone capability). It would be a backwards step.

Evangelion
Aug 2, 2007, 05:24 AM
well obviously :rolleyes:

but considering my mock up took all of 2 minutes to do I don't see why they haven't changed it.

Why should they? It's not meant to be detailed mockup, it's meant to get the idea across, and it does that just fine.

MonkeyClaw
Aug 4, 2007, 09:11 PM
What will happen on August 7, 2007 will be the release of the new iMac models, NOT new iPod model releases.

The new iPods will probably arrive around September 18, 2007. It will be available with these new models:

iPod nano--no hardware changes, but 2 GB model dropped, 4 GB model becomes low-end model, 8 GB model becomes "mainstream" model with cases in up to 12 different colors, and new 16 GB model. I think people forget most people want portable music players to play audio, not play videos.

iPod video--new 6G model that has the same physical size as the 5.5G 80 GB model (to maintain compatibility with current iPod docks), but now sports a full touch screen with either iPhone style or Click Wheel style controls. The touchscreen will be a 8:5 aspect display with the same resolution as the iPhone (320x480). There will be NO WiFi capability, but will have Bluetooth connectivity for use with wireless headsets and connection to car stereos with Bluetooth connectivity. Storage capacity will be 60 GB and 100 GB hard drive initially, and probably by Spring 2008 a a version with 32 GB flash memory.

Best prediction I've heard thus far.

spikeyjac
Aug 5, 2007, 02:20 PM
sooo, if the touchscren or updated video ipods are not being announced on tuesday, when is the predicted date? Will we have them in our hands :p before christmas?
thanks\
jack

Ish
Aug 5, 2007, 04:05 PM
:( If the new nanos look like that when they come out, I shall be dashing off to buy one of the old ones quickly before they sell out.

ppdix
Aug 5, 2007, 04:31 PM
That's why I have one of these:
http://www.ipresents.co.uk/i/stuff/apple-ipod-remote.jpg

Me too. I have a 30GB iPod Video and the shuffle for biking or even to go to the tanning salon...

:cool:

ppdix
Aug 5, 2007, 04:33 PM
Best prediction I've heard thus far.

Most of the "predictions" have been totally off in the past... Apple always loves to leak fake info for people to ass-u-me something. Instead, they always surprise us with something unexpected. I think this time it will be the same. :rolleyes:

MonkeyClaw
Aug 5, 2007, 05:06 PM
Most of the "predictions" have been totally off in the past... Apple always loves to leak fake info for people to ass-u-me something. Instead, they always surprise us with something unexpected. I think this time it will be the same. :rolleyes:

I meant that it was the more realistic of the predictions that have been posted thus far...

spikeyjac
Aug 6, 2007, 05:50 PM
hi again :p bet ure all gettin sick of my questions by now :p
so no one know when the new ipod or updated video will be announced?
will it be around september or before then..?

MarkMS
Aug 6, 2007, 06:27 PM
hi again :p bet ure all gettin sick of my questions by now :p
so no one know when the new ipod or updated video will be announced?
will it be around september or before then..?

Maybe tomorrow, maybe Sept.

I don't think anyone knows 100%.

knelto
Aug 6, 2007, 07:08 PM
So lately I've been sitting around a lot watching tv, since summer school is almost over and there's not too much to do yet. Lately I've been noticing that I've seen less and less iPhone commercials, but have also started to notice a reemergence of iPod commercials (this one to be exact: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vDXmCKLPFtY ). I've seen it multiple times in the past few days, so maybe they're trying to build anticipation for the iPod again?

megfilmworks
Aug 6, 2007, 07:10 PM
So lately I've been sitting around a lot watching tv, since summer school is almost over and there's not too much to do yet. Lately I've been noticing that I've seen less and less iPhone commercials, but have also started to notice a reemergence of iPod commercials (this one to be exact: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vDXmCKLPFtY ). I've seen it multiple times in the past few days, so maybe they're trying to build anticipation for the iPod again?Or trying to boost sales of iPhones.