Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awatiker

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2006
Safari Beta 3.03 is also up now. It includes "security and stability" improvements.

MacTCP

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2007
I'm installing the Security Update now. It's nice that Panther still gets updates even when Leopard will be released in a few months.

chipfinch@mac.c

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
Safari bug fix!

Safari now remembers the logo of web sites bookmarked. It used to just default back to the globe every time I restarted Safari. Cool.

NoRights

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
Ohio
Funny, I figured the first bug Apple would fix in the Safari beta by now would have been that pesky full screen problem. Oh well

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
Software Updates text is different

This is a bit odd of saying but I've noticed the fonts are different:

If you click "Safari 3 Beta Update" and you'll see Times font description.

If you clikc "Security Update ...." and you'll see different font description. Strange, huh?

(see attachs below)

Attachments

• Safari_text.png
    Safari_text.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Security_text.png
    Security_text.png
    82 KB · Views: 183

shemp9999

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Love verbose detail of "bug fixes".

Looks like safari, webcore and webkit are the only updates. this is verbose:

<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306173>

i manually changed my ring tone, so for penance, i get to restore, too. i like that a backup of my syncing preferences was available to easily restore the data. makes me feel a bit better about hacking around the iPhone. maybe i'll try iFuntastic once the phone is back up and running.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Details: Security Update 2007-007

bzip2 - Running bzgrep on a file with a maliciously crafted name may lead to arbitrary code execution
A file name handling issue exists in bzgrep. By enticing a user into running bzgrep on a file with a maliciously crafted name, an attacker may trigger the issue which may lead to arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue through improved handling of file names.​
CFNetwork - Clicking on an FTP URI may cause arbitrary FTP commands to be issued
By enticing a user to follow a maliciously crafted FTP URI, an attacker can cause the user's FTP client to issue arbitrary FTP commands to any accessible FTP server, using the credentials of the user. This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation of FTP URIs.​
CFNetwork - Applications using CFNetwork to make HTTP requests may be vulnerable to a response splitting attack
An HTTP response splitting vulnerability exists in CFNetwork. By sending a maliciously crafted HTTP response to a user's HTTP request, an attacker may alter the user's consecutive responses, which could lead to cross-site scripting. This update addresses the issue through improved parsing of HTTP responses. Credit to Steven Kramer of sprintteam.nl for reporting this issue.​
CoreAudio - Visiting a malicious website may lead to arbitrary code execution
A design issue exists in the Java interface to CoreAudio. JDirect exposes an interface that may allow freeing arbitrary memory. By enticing a user to visit a web page containing a maliciously crafted Java applet, an attacker can trigger the issue which may lead to arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue by performing additional security checks in the Java interface to CoreAudio.​
An issue exists in the Java interface to CoreAudio, which may allow reading or writing out of the bounds of the allocated heap. By enticing a user to visit a web page containing a maliciously crafted Java applet, anattacker can trigger the issue which may lead to arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue by performing additional bounds checking.​
An issue exists in the Java interface to CoreAudio, which may allow instantiation or manipulation of objects outside the bounds of the allocated heap. By enticing a user to visit a web page containing a maliciously crafted Java applet, an attacker can trigger the issue which may lead to arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue by performing additional security checks in the Java interface to CoreAudio.​
cscope - Multiple vulnerabilities in Cscope
Cscope is updated to version 15.6 to address several vulnerabilities, the most serious of which are buffer overflow and insecure temporary file creation vulnerabilities. Further information is available via the Cscope web site at http://cscope.sourceforge.net/
gnuzip - Running zgrep on a file with a maliciously crafted name may lead to arbitrary code execution
A file name handling issue exists in zgrep. By enticing a user into running zgrep on a file with a maliciously crafted name, an attacker may trigger the issue which may lead to arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue by through improved file names handling.​
iChat - An attacker on the local network may be able to cause a denial of service or arbitrary code execution
A buffer overflow vulnerability exists in the UPnP IGD (Internet Gateway Device Standardized Device Control Protocol) code used to create Port Mappings on home NAT gateways in iChat. By sending a maliciously crafted packet, an attacker on the local network can trigger the overflow which may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation when processing UPnP protocol packets in iChat.​
Kerberos - Multiple vulnerabilities in the MIT krb5 Kerberos administration daemon
Multiple vulnerabilities exists in the MIT Kerberos administration daemon (kadmind), which may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution with system privileges. Further information on the issue and the patch applied is available via the MIT Kerberos website at http://web.mit.edu/Kerberos/ Credit to the MIT Kerberos Team for reporting these issues, which were originally discovered by Wei Wang of McAfee Avert Labs.​
mDNSResponder - An attacker on the local network may be able to cause a denial of service or arbitrary code execution
A buffer overflow vulnerability exists in the UPnP IGD (Internet Gateway Device Standardized Device Control Protocol) code used to create Port Mappings on home NAT gateways in the Mac OS X implementation of mDNSResponder. By sending a maliciously crafted packet, an attacker on the local network can trigger the overflow which may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue by removing UPnP IGD support. This issue does not affect systems prior to Mac OS X v10.4.​
PDFKit - Opening a maliciously crafted PDF file may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution
An integer underflow exists in Preview's handling of PDF files. By enticing a user to open a maliciously crafted PDF file, an attacker may trigger the issue which may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation of PDF files. This issue does not affect systems prior to Mac OS X v10.4.​
PHP - Multiple vulnerabilities in PHP 4.4.4
PHP is updated to version 4.4.7 to address several vulnerabilities. Further information is available via the PHP web site at http://www.php.net.​
Quartz Composer - Viewing a maliciously crafted Quartz Composer file may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution
An uninitialized object pointer vulnerability exists in the handling of Quartz Composer files. By enticing a user to view a maliciously crafted Quartz Composer file, an attacker may trigger the issue which may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue by performing proper initialization of object pointers. This issue does not affect systems prior to Mac OS X v10.4.​
Samba - When Windows file sharing is enabled, an unauthenticated remote attacker may cause an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution
Multiple heap buffer overflows exist in the Samba daemon. By sending maliciously crafted MS-RPC requests, a remote attacker can trigger the overflow which may lead to arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation of MS-RPC requests.​
Samba - When Windows file sharing is enabled, an unauthenticated remote attacker may be able to execute arbitrary shell commands
A command injection vulnerability exists in the Samba daemon. By sending maliciously crafted MS-RPC requests, a remote attacker can trigger the command injection. This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation of MS-RPC requests. This issue does not affect the default Samba configuration.​
Samba - When Windows file sharing is enabled, users may bypass file system quotas
An issue exists in Samba when a server process drops its privileges. This could allow the quota enforcement to be bypassed, and the file system quota to be exceeded. This update addresses the issue by properly dropping privileges. Credit to Mike Matz of Wyomissing Area School District for reporting this issue.​
SquirrelMail - Multiple vulnerabilities in SquirrelMail 1.4.5
SquirrelMail is updated to version 1.4.10 to address several vulnerabilities, the most serious of which is cross-site scripting triggered by viewing HTML mail. Further information is available via the SquirrelMail web site at http://www.SquirrelMail.org/
Tomcat - Multiple vulnerabilities in Tomcat
Tomcat is updated to version 4.1.36 to address several vulnerabilities, the most serious of which are cross-site scripting and information disclosure. Further information is available via the Tomcat site at http://tomcat.apache.org/ These issues do not affect systems prior to Mac OS X v10.4.​
WebCore - Visiting a malicious website may allow Java applets to load and run even when Java is disabled
Description: Safari provides an "Enable Java" preference, which when unchecked should prevent the loading of Java applets. By default, Java applets are allowed to be loaded. Navigating to a maliciously crafted web page may allow a Java applet to be loaded without checking the preference. This update addresses the issue through a stricter check of the "Enable Java" preference. Credit to Scott Wilde for reporting this issue.​
WebCore - Content may be injected into HTML comments leading to cross-site scripting attacks
An issue exists in WebCore when parsing comments inside an HTML title element. This can allow an attacker to insert scripts into a web page on sites which allow the page owner to enter HTML, but not scripts. This update addresses the issue by correctly parsing comments in title elements.​
WebCore - Visiting a malicious website may lead to the disclosure of URL contents
A design issue in WebCore allows a popup window to read the URL that is currently being viewed in the parent window. By enticing a user to visit a maliciously crafted web page, an attacker can trigger the issue, which may lead to the disclosure of information via the URL contents. This update addresses the issue through an improved cross-domain security check. Credit to Secunia Research for reporting this issue.​
WebCore - Visiting a malicious website may allow cross-site scripting
In Safari, properties of certain global objects are not cleared when navigating to a new URL within the same window. By enticing a user to visit a maliciously crafted web page, an attacker may trigger the issue which may lead to cross-site scripting. This update addresses the issue by properly clearing global objects.​
WebKit - Look-alike characters in a URL could be used to masquerade a website
The International Domain Name (IDN) support and Unicode fonts embedded in Safari could be used to create a URL which contains look-alike characters. These could be used in a malicious web site to direct the user to a spoofed site that visually appears to be a legitimate domain. This update addresses the issue by through an improved domain name validity check.​
WebKit - Viewing a maliciously crafted web page may lead to arbitrary code execution
Description: Heap buffer overflows exist in the Perl Compatible Regular Expressions (PCRE) library used by the JavaScript engine in Safari. By enticing a user to visit a maliciously crafted web page, an attacker may trigger the issue, which may lead to arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation of JavaScript regular expressions. Credit to Charlie Miller and Jake Honoroff of Independent Security Evaluators for reporting these issues.​

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Safari reset

I don't use the Safari 3 Beta and after the update Safari 2 restored to default settings. Not a big problem but just an inconvenience.

andyh2

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2006
For all you people still complaining about Safari 3, check out http://nightly.webkit.org

Those are the nightlies of safari 3, straight from the webkit dev team :)

see if the latest nightly fixes your problem.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Yay! Samba fixes!

I was just in the process of figuring out how to manually update the samba install on my work server (we definitely need that Windows sharing), but this is a whole lot easier.

Glad I waited a few hours now.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Safari Beta 3.03 is also up now. It includes "security and stability" improvements.

Safari 3.0 for Windows: Displayed everything very nice and quick on Windows, except fonts. No fonts for me whatsoever. Unusable.

Safari 3.0.1 for Windows: When started, displays about one quarter of a window, then crashes. Doesn't get far enough to use the bug reporting feature.

I'll try 3.03 then.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
allot needs to be done to safari beta 3 for OS X. i kept running into system lockups when browsing youtube with beta 3 on OS X.

i dont know why the windows version only got the improved stability and not the OS X version.

yea safari beta 3 does allot better displaying web pages than safari 2 does. but the issues in beta 3 make it where i will stay with 2 till beta 3 is final.

Apple needs to kick Adobes but to make them fix flash for Mac and get it optimized. its just stupid on how bloated and slow it is compared to the PC's version.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
is safari 3 beta mac usable yet, last time i tryed it messed up msn,yahoo,and adium

is safari 3 beta mac usable yet, last time i tryed it messed up msn,yahoo,and adium?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
NOO!! A security update that requires the buggy 10.4.10? This is unacceptable!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
lol Good job in splitting the updates into "iPhone" and "the rest", but it's interesting that there are only 19 comments posted (now 20) under other updates and 189 for the iPhone... :D

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I haven't done it yet - I'll wait a few days, just as I'm also waiting to do the update for the airport for my MBP.
I starting to become skeptical on the stability of some of these updates - after 10.4.10 did some tricky things, I don't know what to expect anymore.
I'm glad these updates are out, though.

Hard-Hat-Mac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Philly Burbs
Before when I had my MBP sitting right in front of my FiOS wifi router it always had a full signal. Since the airport update it now varies back and forth between full and one bar below full. Is this just a more accurate read of the signal or is the airport now not receiving as as strong a signal? I hope it's not the latter. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

HHM

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Well, Safari 3.0.3 still won't work on my WinXP machine. It still asks for me to log into the WebURLProtectionSpaceProxyHTTP.

I wonder if Apple is ever going to fix this problem... :(

sartinsauce

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
Los Angeles
Well, Safari 3.0.3 still won't work on my WinXP machine. It still asks for me to log into the WebURLProtectionSpaceProxyHTTP.

I wonder if Apple is ever going to fix this problem... :(

Yeah, all the Safari bugs I read about, and there are people who still think that Apple is gonna release the whole OS for PCs... that seems like crazy talk to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.