Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gloss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 9, 2006
around/about
Via Ars Technica.

I always thought it looked pretty mediocre to begin with, so this doesn't bug me much, but it's a shame that one of the PS3's major exclusives seems to be a disappointment. Heavenly Sword should be good though, eh?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Blue Dragon didn't do too well either, but I don't think too many people rely on EGM scores.

lair: 6.0, 5.5, 5.0
crispin says the combat system is confusing, and the sixaxis controls don't always work the way they should. lock-on system is also jacked.
greg ford says the camera is frustrating in ground combat. the wide open levels hold a lot of potential but ultimately don't deliver
garnett says it's a "frustrating disappointment" with a few bright spots

blue dragon: 6.5, 7.5, 6.5
it has neither strong characters nor gripping storytelling, the battle system is "stellar" but unaccompanied by any sort of interesting plot to hang your hat on. bryan is a bit easier on the story than andrew fitch (who had the lead review), and ray called it "safe."

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
To quote a wise person

I lost all respect for EGM in 2001 when they gave Halo perfect 10s and put it above MGS2, and then they lost even that shred of credibility they had left when they gave Metroid Prime perfect 10s. BLECH!!

The sad part is that this is what happens with corrupt journalism/Inept journalists.

Wonder if the other reviews will follow the lemming herd or if they will actually give a valid review.

Ed

gloss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 9, 2006
around/about
The sad part is that this is what happens with corrupt journalism/Inept journalists.

Yeah, opinions suck.

Nothing I've seen for Lair so far has made me think it looks anything other than average, frankly, so I have no trouble believing these reviews. If they're wrong, then good, maybe I'll pick it up. To instantly dismiss their reviews because 'They liked this game more than I did, and they thought that game X was better than game Y (when clearly it isn't, because I don't agree!)' is just ridiculous.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Yeah, opinions suck.

Nothing I've seen for Lair so far has made me think it looks anything other than average, frankly, so I have no trouble believing these reviews. If they're wrong, then good, maybe I'll pick it up. To instantly dismiss their reviews because 'They liked this game more than I did, and they thought that game X was better than game Y (when clearly it isn't, because I don't agree!)' is just ridiculous.

It could be worthy of the 6 they gave it, but i just have little to no faith in EGM's review abilities based on their past reviews. So my dismissing their review is based on their past behavior, which is fair to do considering how ridiculous they have been.

Ed

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I thought lair looked pretty good.
Dumb Question- Is heavenly sword an RPG like final fantasy, a figher like Tekken/Virtua Figher, or an adventure/action like Dynasty Warrior? From what i have seen of it, it could fall into any of these categories :confused:

gloss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 9, 2006
around/about
It could be worthy of the 6 they gave it, but i just have little to no faith in EGM's review abilities based on their past reviews. So my dismissing their review is based on their past behavior, which is fair to do considering how ridiculous they have been.

Ed

Okay, I do see your point. Fair enough.

I'm also going to wait for more reviews to come in. This just isn't a good foot for them to start out on.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
To quote a wise person

Wonder if the other reviews will follow the lemming herd or if they will actually give a valid review.

Ed

Metroid Prime is almost universally hailed as an excellent game; IGN gave it 9.8. I gave it 9.9 in my own review.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I thought lair looked pretty good.
Dumb Question- Is heavenly sword an RPG like final fantasy, a figher like Tekken/Virtua Figher, or an adventure/action like Dynasty Warrior? From what i have seen of it, it could fall into any of these categories :confused:

God of War-ish is what I perceive. Lots of combat, some puzzles, maybe some level-up aspects.

Heavenly Sword looks great. May have to get a Ps3 earlier depending on how the final product turns out. ;)

Lair...wasn't really big on anyway.
"Rogue Squadron on dragons" is what I've heard it compared to. Which would be similar to the Panzer Dragoon series before both. Which was a good series in it's own right, but not a system seller IMO (for me at least).

I agree with the Blue Dragon low scores. I hated the demo and thought it was a piss-poor rpg. Which is sad considering this is a Sakaguchi/Uematsu collaboration - the two fathers of the genre.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
PLAY = Official

As a AAA Sony Game anything less than a 9 from them was 'never' going to happen.

I will wait to see what Edge™ and GAMES™ magazines give it as I generally agree with all their reviews. Both are pretty spot on with their scoring.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
doesn't surprise me in the least. Lots of the media have been saying it has lots of issues as recently as E3. Flying games aren't my cup of tea any-who so I didn't pre-order, despite the hype the game has (for whatever reason... desperation?)

I think it is insane that games get scores like 9.5+ or 9.9 in the case of Praxis and Metroid. Thats saying the game is 1% away from being PERFECT. How can any game be like that? Or like when OoT got 10/10 from a lot of publications.. I mean it's a great game but by no means perfect.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
They were the most perfect games at the time? If OoT was finished in 1998 and simply held until now, it wouldn't fare as well. At the time it was the biggest adventure game, gallons of original ideas and features now standard in the genre.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/

look a here...I smell that EGM review got to sony and now they are making the team tweak the game....interesting.

I smell an option to use the sticks to fly being introduced...which is a good thing for the nay sayers...I'm glad it happen....whats left to conplain about after this?

Bless

Sony was scared of some 'uber pwnge' by Bioshock so they decided to hold off for a while ;)

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
To quote a wise person

"I lost all respect for EGM in 2001 when they gave Halo perfect 10s and put it above MGS2, and then they lost even that shred of credibility they had left when they gave Metroid Prime perfect 10s. BLECH!!"

Ed

Metroid Prime deserved 10's. If not 10, then something very close to it. Prime 2 is a different story, but Prime 1 was excellent.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Metroid Prime deserved 10's. If not 10, then something very close to it. Prime 2 is a different story, but Prime 1 was excellent.

This much is true. But MGS2 a perfect 10? Come on. MGS1 yes, 3 maybe (I wasn't keen but it was very well made.). MGS2 was cancerous just like Prime 2.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
doesn't surprise me in the least. Lots of the media have been saying it has lots of issues as recently as E3. Flying games aren't my cup of tea any-who so I didn't pre-order, despite the hype the game has (for whatever reason... desperation?)

I think it is insane that games get scores like 9.5+ or 9.9 in the case of Praxis and Metroid. Thats saying the game is 1% away from being PERFECT. How can any game be like that? Or like when OoT got 10/10 from a lot of publications.. I mean it's a great game but by no means perfect.

Based on your qualifications, no game would get a 10 since there's always going to be something that could be improved. If that was the case, then a 9 would be the highest achievable score so why bother having the scale be 1 to 10?

Giving something top marks doesn't mean it's perfect. It simply means that up to this point and in it's genre/type/etc this game is the best there is. So even if Twilight Princess is better than OoT doesn't mean OoT couldn't have got a 10/10. Also, just because Halo gets a 10, and Wind Waker gets an 8 doesn't mean that Halo is a "better" game. It just means that Halo is, up until the time of the review, one of the best FPS games. Wind Waker, since it's being compared to other games, like OoT, is still a great game, but has bigger shoes to fill, so to speak.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
This is all up to personal opinion, guys. ;)
I find it hard to believe that any game is perfect, and I think a 10 equating "perfect" is a stretch to say the least.

(Again - for instance)
Reviewers gave Tenchu Z a 4.5 (average).
I'd give it a strong 7 because I like the game and can overlook the flaws because it's still enjoyable IMO.

That being said:

I wouldn't give Prime 1 a 10. :p 9 is fair. I really didn't like the game myself. It wasn't terrible by any means, I just didn't like it. I love 2d Metroid, maybe that's my problem. That + the control scheme sucked IMO. If you want to make a FPS, give it FPS controls. Dual sticks - one movement, one aim. I haven't tried Prime 2, I will pick up Prime 3 though.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If you want to make a FPS, give it FPS controls. Dual sticks - one movement, one aim. I haven't tried Prime 2, I will pick up Prime 3 though.

Metroid Prime isn't an FPS, in the same way Zelda II isn't Contra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.