Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
My point is that "A good value" and "A good game" aren't the same thing so a rating/score based on gameplay, graphics, sound, etc., shouldn't take into consideration how much the game costs, IMO. That is a separate consideration. For example, overall All Pro Football 2k8 is an average game and it costs $60 (not a very good value IMO). If it was being sold for $20 it would still be an average game but it would be $40 cheaper and thus a better value. The "quality" of the game stays the same, but the "value" can change based on price.

Exactly what I was saying.

gloss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 9, 2006
around/about
Exactly what I was saying.

My point was that a review should take all those things into consideration, not just the game itself. I don't read reviews for recreation, I read reviews to figure out whether the game is a worthwhile purchase. So I have absolutely no problem with value being included in overall scoring.

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
My point was that a review should take all those things into consideration, not just the game itself. I don't read reviews for recreation, I read reviews to figure out whether the game is a worthwhile purchase. So I have absolutely no problem with value being included in overall scoring.

And my point is that not everyone reads reviews only before/at the games launch. So if you factor price into a SCORE, you do a disservice to anyone reading the review after a potential price drop.

Many people skim reviews, or just glance at it and check what the verdict is by seeing what the score is. Depending on that score, they may decide not to spend the time reading the review.

I myself have read reviews and looked up scores on games because I saw them on sale somewhere, etc. Or just read them MUCH after the games release.

A good review should cover all the bases, where I can make my OWN decision on value.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
But can't you deduce the value on your own? If the game gets a good review and is at a price point you are comfortable with it's a good value. If a game gets a good review and it's at a price point you aren't comfortable with it's not as good a value. And unless reviewers constantly go back and revise the score as prices drop then the review of the game becomes inaccurate after only a couple of months as used copies start getting into circulation.

Is Diakatana a better game now than it was when it first came out years ago? No, it's still one of the worst games ever made it's just cheaper now. Cost of purchase has absolutely no bearing on the quality of the game so, IMO, it should not be included in a score based on the quality of the game.

Lethal

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
The lead dude, I forget his name, from Factor 5 was on the Full Moon Show podcast and they asked him what he thought about the review for Lair. He said he was obviously disappointed because you always want good reviews but he reasoned that people who are expecting it to play exactly like the Rogue Star Wars games are going to be disappointed because it's quite a bit different in terms of control and gameplay.

I wonder if they will sneak in any fixes or whatever during their 3 week delay?

I'm not really into this game but the dude did add that doing melee attacks or types of moves besides just shooting fireballs over and over and over increase score multipliers which add to more/better medals or trophies in the soon-to-be here Xbox-esc virtual big dick contest. That kind of made me a teeny bit more interested because it gives some incentive to actually get into the game more than just getting through it.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I wonder if they will sneak in any fixes or whatever during their 3 week delay?

Of course they will....they will add movement to the stick(hopefully) and tweak the hell out of it. They only got three weeks to get it right or not at all.

and on that big d*ck note: isn't that whats it all about.....the whole online battle, points, learderboards etc...its all about the one holding the biggest virtual pee pee.

Bless

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
There's a photo site I used to go to that covered the price thing nicely I thought. They had people's reviews AND up top had the price they paid for the lens. It fits...folks who paid 800 dollars for a lens were more forgiving than people who bought it at launch for 1200...there's a guitar forum like that.

I got Brain Age virtually for free with some great shopping skills...so I enjoy it a lot more than if I'd dropped 50 bucks on it. Same with Res4...never having to see TP sitting on my shelf and getting the game for a straight trade from Hastings made that even better than it already was :)

Paul

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
But can't you deduce the value on your own? If the game gets a good review and is at a price point you are comfortable with it's a good value. If a game gets a good review and it's at a price point you aren't comfortable with it's not as good a value. And unless reviewers constantly go back and revise the score as prices drop then the review of the game becomes inaccurate after only a couple of months as used copies start getting into circulation.

Is Diakatana a better game now than it was when it first came out years ago? No, it's still one of the worst games ever made it's just cheaper now. Cost of purchase has absolutely no bearing on the quality of the game so, IMO, it should not be included in a score based on the quality of the game.

Lethal

Except for the fact that there are different expectations as far as content and value expected for a budget title vs a premium price point. For a higher price point, you simply expect more content.

It's like comparing two restaurants, where one of the restaurants is extremely expensive compared to the other. If the food in the significantly more expensive restaurant is not noticeably better, I'd expect the far cheaper at the same quality restaurant to come in with higher recommendations.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
A little off but Warhawk, the big price-vs-score debate is going for $39.99 online and $59.99 w/ headset plus a few other goodies (vids n such).

I think it should have been $30 just so people don't whine BUT having played the beta for hours on end: its worth $40. It's an awesome big do whatever kind of multi-player game with pretty good graphics, great sounds and most importantly it's a hell of a lot of fun.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Except for the fact that there are different expectations as far as content and value expected for a budget title vs a premium price point. For a higher price point, you simply expect more content.

It's like comparing two restaurants, where one of the restaurants is extremely expensive compared to the other. If the food in the significantly more expensive restaurant is not noticeably better, I'd expect the far cheaper at the same quality restaurant to come in with higher recommendations.

The restaurant analogy doesn't work very well because of the differences between the two industries makes the review process different. If I want a steak from Chili's I have to go to Chili's to get it and it will cost the same today as it will two months from now. If I want a copy of Forza 2 I can shop around at a variety of stores to find the best price and it will probably cost me more today than it will two months from now. I think movie reviews would be a better analogy.

I'm not saying you shouldn't talk about the value of the game in a review (see my first post), but what I am saying is that if you want to rate/score the value you should do it separately from where you rate/score the quality of the game itself. If you rate a game partially based on it's price are you going to continue to update the rating as the game gets cheaper over time (much like how restaurant reviews are periodically updated)?

We just have a difference of opinion of what we want from reviews. I'm only concerned about the quality of the game because based on that I can determine the value for myself as I see how much buying the game will cost me.

Lethal

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Totally agree, there are differences in what people expect out of reviews.

When I have a reviewing situation like that, I always make a point of mentioning it in the text. Like my Wii Play review.

Wii Play is a very difficult game to review. In fact, it is so hard to review, that it questions the very nature of how a review works. Do we look at the game objectively, or take into consideration the price? Wii Play costs $49.99, but it includes a Wii Remote, which costs $39.99 on its own. Does that make it a $10 game, and if so, do we give it a better score because we are holding it to a lower standard? What about the people who already have four Wii Remotes and end up buying an extra peripheral?

So, stepping back and looking at the full package once again, we have a game that is extremely short (clocking in at under an hour) and really lacking much content. It has very little replay value, as there are no unlockables or incentives to replay anything. However, the game does provide a great multiplayer experience, and part of a spectacular bundle that results in it only costing $10. It fully meets the goal of being a Wii Remote tech demo to show what it can do.

At $10, it's certainly a budget game, but you could easily get more play time out of a Virtual Console download for the same price or less. Despite the lack of content, I highly recommend this game to anyone who will be thinking of playing multiplayer games and does not have four Wii remotes. If you have no friends, then this game isn't for you; otherwise, it is definitely on my recommended list, simply due to the bundle and multiplayer content.

I think reviewers simply need to mention WHY they scored it as such, and thus, if EGM says "we took 1 point off the score for price" and a reader cares not about the price, they can add a point in their mind.

(For reference, I gave Wii Play a 6.5. I gave it very high scores in most areas like gameplay, because it was fun, but abysmal scores in replay value and graphics, because it took under an hour to finish).

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
I think I've decided that the persons who actively participate in this forum have the unique ability to turn anything into a ridiculous argument.

And then go off topic for 5 pages.

Not that I'm helping at all, but it's really pretty comical, always seeing the same characters come out, and fill their normal roles in these little arguments...

:rolleyes:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think I've decided that the persons who actively participate in this forum have the unique ability to turn anything into a ridiculous argument.

Not that I'm helping at all, but it's really pretty comical, always seeing the same characters come out, and fill their normal roles in these little arguments...

Do what I do when it happens. I used to try and play amabassador, but now I just run and hide until the white flags are being waved. :eek:

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles

I would just like to say that I don't jump in here very often so I think I deserve separate recognition for making a "guest appearance" as I'm not one of the same old characters thank you very much. ;)

Lethal

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004

I find it funny how seriously others take it, though. Most of us enjoy the arguments, and we play games together and chat on AIM just fine (sometimes w/ridiculous arguments for fun).

No reason to play ambassador. Deep down we all love each other, even when we argue :D

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Ranch chips next time guys!:rolleyes:

Back on topic(I think): Lair is now 14th and HS is the 12th....two heavy hitters back to back....plus warhawk in august. I have no complaints my calendar will be filled with games...this is the suckish part when you own all the consoles..damn.

HS is going to eat away at Lair sales.

Bless

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Ranch chips next time guys!:rolleyes:

Back on topic(I think): Lair is now 14th and HS is the 12th....two heavy hitters back to back....plus warhawk in august. I have no complaints my calendar will be filled with games...this is the suckish part when you own all the consoles..damn.

HS is going to eat away at Lair sales.

Bless

Lair got pushed again. Lair is 9/4 and HS is 9/12 :)

Unless Lair got pushed again this morning to the 14th and I haven't read about it.

Ed

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
I love you too :D

some serious man love goin on around here :p;)

since this is about EGM, did ya hear Itagaki slagged Heavenly Sword for being half assed? The button pressing sequence at the beginning, where you push x or -> or whatever to run and jump on the ropes, apparently those are really lame. Never mind the fact that they are in god of war and resident evil 4, two of the most popular games out there, I suppose they are half assed too :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.