PDA

View Full Version : I-35 Bridge Collapse in Minneapolis

WildCowboy
Aug 1, 2007, 07:18 PM
Wow...an entire bridge carrying I-35W over the Mississippi River collapsed in Minneapolis during rush hour.

Link (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/01/bridge.collapse.ap/index.html)

Brings back childhood memories of the 1987 Schoharie Creek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schoharie_Creek) bridge collapse on I-90 near Amsterdam, NY, but this could be much, much worse. No word yet on injuries and/or fatalities.

skinnylegs
Aug 1, 2007, 07:20 PM
That is crazy! My prayers go out to those involved.

Schmoe0013
Aug 1, 2007, 07:40 PM
i live in minneapolis, and the news coverage is scary... cnn does not have the local news helicopter footage... wow, this is so messed up.

i'm goign to donate blood tomorrow. there was a school bus with a full load of kids, and thankfully, people who survived the collapse helped the kids out.

this is so sad..

inital reports say it was bumper to bumper traffic when it collapsed.. at least 50 cars, and 60 constrution workers working on the top end of the bridge

mkrishnan
Aug 1, 2007, 07:48 PM
Wow, my thoughts too for those affected by this tragedy. :(

Thomas Veil
Aug 1, 2007, 07:48 PM
Really scary pictures coming out of Minneapolis. But as of this moment, they're saying things could have been much, much worse.

I hope everybody got out of all those cars that went into the water.

Weird how something like this can happen. They demolished an extremely old bridge in Cleveland, the Fulton Rd. bridge, a few months back. I should say, they tried to demolish it, 'cause the dynamite charges didn't take it down the first time. They actually had to regroup and come back a few days later and try again. It finally went down on the second attempt.

And here this thing is newer, and it goes down on its own. (Shakes head.)

pivo6
Aug 1, 2007, 07:51 PM
The pictures on the local news are just awful. Our family is just sitting in front of the TV in shock. We have friends and co-workers in the Cities and we are praying for all of those involved.

Music_Producer
Aug 1, 2007, 07:55 PM
And here this thing is newer, and it goes down on its own. (Shakes head.)

Newer = Lower quality construction?

Hopefully there are not too many fatalities.. this is horrible. My wife always notices why I'm in a hurry to get off bridges.. or if I'm under an overpass.. I'll try to drive forward fast..

Poor souls :(

Cooknn
Aug 1, 2007, 07:57 PM
Terrible. I was in MN, last year - drove over that bridge with my kids in the car. Thoughts and prayers out to those affected.

2nyRiggz
Aug 1, 2007, 07:57 PM
Damn...I felt that one. I hope everyone got out alright...prayers are with them.

I'm giving it several days before everyone(analyst & whoever) starts placing blame and picking this bridge apart...things like this in such times are not needed but we will get it anyway.

Bless

Schmoe0013
Aug 1, 2007, 07:58 PM
the bridge that collapsed is a steel design, where each part is reliant on the other for supprot. if one section starts to go, it's a snowball affect.

the bridge to the east, 3rd ave bridge, is about 100+ years old, and pure stone. they tried to demolish it a while back with dynamite, and it didn't budge. so they rebuilt it. they thought they were going to be ok with this "newer" bridge

My prayers are going out to everyone.

SkyBell
Aug 1, 2007, 08:31 PM
Could someone from the area please post a link to one of your local news sites? I'm sure they have much better coverage.

swiftaw
Aug 1, 2007, 08:31 PM
www.kmsp.com

pivo6
Aug 1, 2007, 08:33 PM
Could someone from the area please post a link to one of your local news sites? I'm sure they have much better coverage.

Minneapolis Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1338294.html)

SkyBell
Aug 1, 2007, 08:42 PM
www.kmsp.com

They say 1 dead, CNN says 5. pssh, wonder who I'm gonna beileve more.

This is really tragic. I'm just speechless.:(

RacerX
Aug 1, 2007, 08:53 PM
I usually only cross the bridge on Fridays, but I was supposed to have crossed it today (but didn't because a part I needed for a client didn't come in).

They've been doing construction (road work) on it for more than a month now. And there was a notice in the paper yesterday that it was to be closed from 7 PM to 7 AM everyday this week (until Friday). I don't believe any of the construction was to do with the bridge structure itself, just repaving it and upgrading the de-icing system.

Pretty scary though. :eek:

dmcxii
Aug 1, 2007, 09:01 PM

www.kare11.com
www.wcco.com
www.kstp.com

and others....

Really scary considering there was a Twins game at 7:00 about a mile away.

Thomas Veil
Aug 1, 2007, 09:13 PM
Newer = Lower quality construction? Man, I hope not, but...

I really wouldn't be that surprised. Remember the Big Dig tunnel collapse (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/07/11/woman_killed_when_part_of_ceiling_falls_in_i_90_connector_tunnel/) in Boston a year or so ago? And didn't they trace that to adhesive applied in a faulty manner?

d_and_n5000
Aug 1, 2007, 09:20 PM
Oh, my God. This may sound rather clichéd, but I wasn't prepared for the pictures. :( My prayers go out to all affected by this.

Over Achiever
Aug 1, 2007, 09:28 PM
Coming from MN, aren't they working on that bridge already? I remember 35W being worked on all through Mpls.

fotografica
Aug 1, 2007, 09:29 PM
If it's not a hurricane,tornado,earthquake,explosion or "Act of God", then it's more than likely structural failure.Which is a result of shoddy worksmanship and/or people putting $$$ in front of human life. Having lived in Boston my whole life, I can relate ;)

God bless to all the people involved....What a way to go :(

Buschmaster
Aug 1, 2007, 09:40 PM
Full Story (http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=261140)

So, this is very near here. Probably about half an hour from my house.

My friends were just on this bridge yesterday and I was scheduled to go on a field trip with my work (YMCA) that would've taken us over this bridge tomorrow. The fact that it happened between those days makes me feel lucky in a strange way.

At the same time it feels sad that it has to happen to anyway. My thoughts are with those who have suffered from death, injury, or hospitalization.

termina3
Aug 1, 2007, 09:43 PM
scary stuff man...

kinda makes you think of those "I had a dentist appointment on 9/11" stories

If you're religious, thank god. If not, count your lucky stars.

and, well, if you don't believe in luck calculate the probability of you being on that bridge, find it small, and say "ha!"

pivo6
Aug 1, 2007, 10:07 PM
Coming from MN, aren't they working on that bridge already? I remember 35W being worked on all through Mpls.

Apparently there was work being done on the bridge, but it was just for resurfacing and not for any kind of repair.

kbrain2929
Aug 1, 2007, 10:33 PM
sorry to be the barer of bad news... but Fox News = 7 dead. Thoughts are going out ever second... :(:(

yetieater
Aug 1, 2007, 10:46 PM
I just read about this on USAToday and couldn't believe it. Sounds like something entirely out of a movie.

synth3tik
Aug 1, 2007, 11:02 PM
6 blocks from my house. I am stuck at work and can not get a hold of my dad.

This really sucks

Superdrive
Aug 1, 2007, 11:03 PM
I was in the area when this took place. It was chaotic. Pedestrians were all over the place. Cars were bumper to bumper, and emergency vehicles were going both ways constantly. The bridge is simply gone.

maccam
Aug 1, 2007, 11:05 PM
Oh yes, please pray, I live forty miles from there AND IT'S AWFULL, they said 50-100 cars went down. My brother was thinking maybe it was a terrorist attack?

Foxglove9
Aug 1, 2007, 11:06 PM
What horrible news, watching the coverage on CNN right now. I always have a fear of something like that happening.

Another reason to live life every day like it is your last.

SkyBell
Aug 1, 2007, 11:13 PM
Oh yes, please pray, I live forty miles from there AND IT'S AWFULL, they said 50-100 cars went down. My brother was thinking maybe it was a terrorist attack?

No, I don't think so.

I just hate when everytime something blows up or collapses, it has to be "a terrorist attack"

mattster16
Aug 1, 2007, 11:32 PM
Apparently there was work being done on the bridge, but it was just for resurfacing and not for any kind of repair.

They were doing resurfacing and joint work. Just the deck joints though; nonstructural. I drove over the bridge several times during the construction and nothing structural was being done. I find this whole thing to be quite shocking. I'm currently a civil engineering student and I've taken many structural classes. I can only guess from my limited experience something fatigue related, plus these old bridges are determinate structures so they don't have as much redundancy as newer designs. Many have suggested overload, but that is next to impossible. These bridges (especially older) are able to carry much, much more weight than what was on it at the time with very little strain.

I've been watching the various local news channels since it happened.

I live about a half a mile from the bridge right near the University of MN campus. My roommate was just over by the area. He said seeing it in person is surreal. The response was amazing, there were average citizens directing traffic and keeping things in order. Rescue efforts have mostly been stopped for the night. Cars under water are the main concern and diving is too dangerous right now. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone.

This is a major blow to the transportation infrastructure of Minneapolis. Travel is going to be very difficult as there aren't roads of similar capacity available for rerouting and 35W was at max capacity. If you are from Minneapolis I encourage you to take public transportation tomorrow, metro transit is adding many additional buses and stationing people at park and ride stations to help new riders.

This is just a devastating accident for the metro area and again my thoughts are with everyone involved.

Superdrive
Aug 2, 2007, 12:49 AM
The response was amazing, there were average citizens directing traffic and keeping things in order.

This made it worse. Some of these intersections had two and three people trying to direct traffic. Just along University Av, one person waves the opposite of the other "director" at the same intersection.

There were a lot of people, and a lot of emergency response movement. It was chaotic.

PlaceofDis
Aug 2, 2007, 12:55 AM
my thoughts go out to all the families involved.

OutThere
Aug 2, 2007, 12:59 AM
No, I don't think so.

I just hate when everytime something blows up or collapses, it has to be "a terrorist attack"

Well bridges aren't supposed to just have catastrophic collapses...

and things don't usually just 'blow up'.

It seems like a huge collapse to not have a real cause, being that it was inspected 3 years ago. Even if the bridge was designed to depend on its elements for support, these kinds of massive catastrophes are so rare it's hard not to want to suspect some sort of foul play.

mattster16
Aug 2, 2007, 01:23 AM
This made it worse. Some of these intersections had two and three people trying to direct traffic. Just along University Av, one person waves the opposite of the other "director" at the same intersection.

There were a lot of people, and a lot of emergency response movement. It was chaotic.

I don't think it made it any worse that it would have been without it and people felt they needed to do something to help. It is going to be chaos no matter what trying to redirect I35 onto University Av.

mattster16
Aug 2, 2007, 01:25 AM
Even if the bridge was designed to depend on its elements for support, these kinds of massive catastrophes are so rare it's hard not to want to suspect some sort of foul play.

I think a lot of people thought that because we have pretty much been trained by the media to associate any disaster with potential 'terrorism'.

bartelby
Aug 2, 2007, 02:15 AM
I was just looking at some of the images on the BBC News site.
It's insane!!

kbrain2929
Aug 2, 2007, 03:03 AM
I think a lot of people thought that because we have pretty much been trained by the media to associate any disaster with potential 'terrorism'.

I agree... I sometimes think that this makes things worse. On top of that, the media is basically "brain-wahing" us with the horrible pictures of events. It's because of those, we tune in for hours and hours on end... My thoughts still going out!

Xeem
Aug 2, 2007, 03:36 AM

I agree with you, although in this case, because the bridge had passed inspections in 2005 and 2006, I think assumption of foul play of some kind (not necessarily terrorism) is a little more understandable than many others.

When I was little, I always got a little nervous on that bridge because it was fragile-looking from below, and it took so long to cross it compared with any other bridges I'd ever been on. But even as a kid, I knew that it was just an irrational fear; modern bridges wouldn't ever just "break"...

This truly is a disaster, but after watching the footage, it seems a miracle so many people that were on the bridge when it collapsed have been rescued.

Queso
Aug 2, 2007, 04:29 AM
Quite horrific, like something out of a film as another poster said. I suppose in a country the size of the US this sort of thing is going to happen occasionally, but that doesn't make it any better when it does.

Puts your own troubles into perspective a bit though doesn't it?

brad.c
Aug 2, 2007, 08:19 AM
Oh god, this is horrible. I'm in Toronto, and I think of the chaos and devastation if the Gardiner collapsed--and it is constantly under repairs.

I Google Earth'd the area to see what it had once looked like, and was momentarily disturbed by the simplified terrain view.

Thanks for the local news link. I'd rather hear updates from those in the community.:(

budpam
Aug 2, 2007, 09:07 AM
Newer = Lower quality construction?

Yes, as sad as it is, I believe in many cases this is true. With all the cost cutting measures businesses take to get more done with fewer resources so that the bottom line looks good and they make more profit, quality often suffers. It may be simplifying it too much, but "follow the money".

Lixivial
Aug 2, 2007, 09:56 AM
CNN has a video (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/02/bridge.collapse/index.html#cnnSTCVideo) of the collapse. I feel fortunate to know that those I care about weren't near the bridge at the time. It's really so crazy to think about how many times I've travelled over it and never gave it a second thought or that it was second nature. I'm still trying to believe/understand how something like this could happen out of nowhere. Craziness.

I believe the one great thing to come out of this was the level of organization and preparedness of the Red Cross, police, fire department, hospital/emergency employees and other first responders. In my opinion, they've really handled the situation with brilliance.

devman
Aug 2, 2007, 10:08 AM
I lived there for 3 years. My thoughts go out to all those affected by this. I've already e-mailed several friends over there...

RacerX
Aug 2, 2007, 10:30 AM
I believe the one great thing to come out of this was the level of organization and preparedness of the Red Cross, police, fire department, hospital/emergency employees and other first responders. In my opinion, they've really handled the situation with brilliance.Not to take anything away from the Red Cross... but had their response time been any thing greater than 30 seconds, we should all be very concerned. :eek:

Xeem
Aug 2, 2007, 03:42 PM
I believe the one great thing to come out of this was the level of organization and preparedness of the Red Cross, police, fire department, hospital/emergency employees and other first responders. In my opinion, they've really handled the situation with brilliance.

I think we have to mention the civilian volunteers as well; many people came from nearby homes to help pull people out of the river as well. They just interviewed a resident that they say pulled 12 survivors out of the river, and many people have stories similar to hers.

Music_Producer
Aug 2, 2007, 06:30 PM
What I hate about this is that there seems to be a media competition.. in which one can present this news 'better'. I've seen countless front pages.. splashed with graphics of the minneapolis background and "BRIDGE C O L L A P S E" as though they tried to make it a movie title.

It seriously looks as though they try to make this a sneak peek of an upcoming blockbuster.. it's sickening. Why not stick to a simple presentation of the tragedy, instead of trying to glamorize it?

Iker89
Aug 2, 2007, 06:31 PM
It's so absurd to think I crossed that bridge 5 hours before it collapsed yesterday. I even remember me and my friends in the car spelling out Mississippi as we went across.

Music_Producer
Aug 2, 2007, 06:33 PM
Yes, as sad as it is, I believe in many cases this is true. With all the cost cutting measures businesses take to get more done with fewer resources so that the bottom line looks good and they make more profit, quality often suffers. It may be simplifying it too much, but "follow the money".

Of course - having lost a friend in Bombay in a building collapse.. I absolutely believe this reprehensible fact that companies give an a$$ about safety or quality. It's all about the profits. You see this happening everywhere - from the food industry, health, airline and transportation, the list goes on..

The 'new' buildings in bombay.. (15 years old on average) crumble every time there is some construction work.. or heavy rainfall. My grandma's 120 year old building (made of stone during the British rule) is still standing strong!

It's so absurd to think I crossed that bridge 5 hours before it collapsed yesterday. I even remember me and my friends in the car spelling out Mississippi as we went across.

Makes you wonder about being at the wrong place, at the wrong time. When my friend died in a office building collapse.. she had just gone there for a few minutes to collect a fax.. a fax! :(

Pani
Aug 3, 2007, 08:01 AM

First, I am deeply sorry and send my prayers to all involved.

That is a very good point. The media exaggerates some risks and minimizes others. We have a crumbling infrastructure in this country. There were a handful of stories about the problem years ago. Some are connecting the dots: Katrina Levy, tunnel in Boston, N.Y pipe explosion, and another bridge fell in California a few days ago (thankfully less tragic than MN). Our bridges, roads, etc are deteriorating all over the country. The American Society of Civil Engineers says $1.6 billion is needed over the next 5 years to make the repairs, the AFL-CIO estimates 1 in 4 roads are in bad shape. Hopefully, our spending priorities will change so future tragedies can be avoided!

Aea
Aug 3, 2007, 11:23 AM
Our bridges, roads, etc are deteriorating all over the country.

We're building roads over there, so we don't have to build them over here.

My thoughts go out to everybody effected by this tragedy, even if I did make a political jab out of it.

Lixivial
Aug 3, 2007, 03:56 PM
Not to take anything away from the Red Cross... but had their response time been any thing greater than 30 seconds, we should all be very concerned. :eek:

:D

I think we have to mention the civilian volunteers as well; many people came from nearby homes to help pull people out of the river as well.

Yes, I don't know why/how I could have forgotten them. I heard of some stories of some college kids going to or from DinkyTown turn around just after they passed the bridge and diving in the water helped load ambulances, no questions asked. Pretty amazing.

My thoughts go out to everybody effected by this tragedy, even if I did make a political jab out of it.

That's OK. I've seen animations where people photoshopped one part of the collapsed highway having sex with another part of the collapsed highway.

And also another macro'd image where it took a picture of a school bus hanging on the edge, and applied a spoof of the bus song, "Wheels on the bus go round and round." So yours really wasn't tactless in the slightest.

Pani
Aug 3, 2007, 04:15 PM
We're building roads over there, so we don't have to build them over here.

It is hard NOT to think about the political. Alternet did an interesting piece on it today. I didn't link it because the article is political and people are still in a fragile state of mind. Still, it is something we have to think about. Plug "America's infrastructure" into Google! Scary how much else is at risk.

IJ Reilly
Aug 3, 2007, 04:30 PM
A great deal has been made (especially in the Twin Cities media, evidently) about how this bridge scored only 50 out of 100 points in the federal system for assessing the structural integrity of bridges. The implication is that a 50 score means that the bridge is structurally deficient and should not have been in use. This isn't really true -- thousand of bridges in the U.S. score in this range. The real issue apparently is the inspection process. Clearly, the inspectors missed a critical structural flaw in this bridge. It probably should have been rated far lower.