Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
New York
I have an NSTableView with several entries, and I want to highlight certain words in the table. For example, every time the word "bar" appears in the table, I want that word to be bold and colored red, as in the example line below:

"foobar foo foo bar foo"

Any idea how I can accomplish this? Basically, I want to use rich text in the NSTableView cells. I was thinking of using the NSText method replaceCharactersInRange:withRTFD: but I really have no idea if this is correct. I would still need to figure out the RTF syntax, but thats a different story. Please help?
Thanks!

Oats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
New York
Thanks! Once I have formatted a string, can I just use the (NSAttributedString *) instead of the (NSString *) when initializing the NSTableView dictionary?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Thanks! Once I have formatted a string, can I just use the (NSAttributedString *) instead of the (NSString *) when initializing the NSTableView dictionary?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Could you post the code? NSTableViews don't have dictionaries :confused:

Oats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
New York
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Could you post the code? NSTableViews don't have dictionaries :confused:

i am obviously new to this, my dictionary comment was referring to a NSMutableDictionary, which i believe has the contents binding to the NSTableView. as it turns out, i was able to just use a NSAttributedString in place of the NSString, and this works! the sample code here is probably convoluted... i know HTML, not RTF, so this seemed the easiest way to format my string?

PHP:
NSArray * keys      = [NSArray arrayWithObjects: @"linenum", @"linestr", nil];
//NSArray * values    = [NSArray arrayWithObjects: linenum, linestr, nil];
NSString * theHTML = @"<font face='Monaco' size='3'>foo foo foo<b><i><font color=#EE0000>bar</font></i></b> fooobar</font>";
// fill the NSData buffer with the contents of the NSString
NSData * htmlData = [theHTML dataUsingEncoding: NSUTF8StringEncoding];
NSAttributedString * styledText = [[NSAttributedString alloc]
				initWithHTML: htmlData  documentAttributes: nil]; 
NSArray * values    = [NSArray arrayWithObjects: linenum, styledText, nil];
properties = [[NSMutableDictionary alloc] initWithObjects: values forKeys: keys];

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Easier != better.

Personally, I'd just build the attributed string manually, using initWithString:attributes:, and then combine the different attributed strings together to make the final attributed string (see NSMutableAttributedString). To me, that seems like the right "Cocoa way".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.