PDA

View Full Version : Foot-and-Mouth outbreak at Surrey farm

BoyBach
Aug 3, 2007, 05:17 PM
Farm infected with foot-and-mouth

Cattle at a farm in Surrey have been found to be infected with foot-and-mouth disease.

Animals on the farm near Guildford have tested positive for the disease which swept the UK and wreaked havoc in 2001.

A 3km protection zone has been put in place around the premises and a UK ban imposed on movement of all livestock.

Gordon Brown has cancelled his holiday in Dorset and taken part in a meeting of the government's Cobra emergency committee by telephone about the issue.

Foot-and-mouth is a cattle disease and very few human cases have ever been recorded. The last human case reported in the UK occurred in 1966.

In accordance with legislation, all cattle on the Surrey premises will be culled, said a government spokesman.

The farm has been under restrictions since late on Thursday when symptoms were reported.

BBC News Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6930684.stm)

Foot-and-mouth fears shut ports

Northern Ireland's ports are being closed to livestock imports following an outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease on a cattle farm in Guildford, Surrey.

It is part of a UK-wide ban on movement of all cattle, sheep and pigs, which was imposed following the discovery.

More than 50,000 animals were culled in Northern Ireland during the 2001 outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease.

Stormont Agriculture Minister Michelle Gildernew said it was important that the farming community did not panic.

"We're working very closely to see just what impact it will have on our industry, but we are ensuring that everything that can be done is being done to control the spread of the disease," she said.

"Hopefully this will be a contained outbreak."

BBC News Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6930707.stm)

Here we go again.

Queso
Aug 3, 2007, 05:33 PM
Here we go again indeed. I hope it gets contained and eradicated quicker than last time.

We're supposed to be taking the dog to France next weekend too, so I'm going to have to keep a close eye on this one (yeah, I know dogs can't get it, but who knows how far the restrictions will go?) :(

21stcenturykid
Aug 3, 2007, 06:15 PM
I was just about to post this one. I hope they get it sorted and contained properly this time or were going to be royally stuffed this year for getting rid of muck from our farm!

I havn't even started emptying tanks yet...it'll be overflowing a month or twos time!

One good sign is they've found it early and stopped movements even though we were meant to have pigs going to the abbatoir on monday morning but now they'll jst get fat and not be able to go for cull.

Any other farmers on here affected?

xUKHCx
Aug 3, 2007, 06:18 PM
This is such said news, really feel for all the farmers out there, must have been devastating last time around. This will surely churn up the bad memories and hopefully that'll be it. I really hope this doesnt spread.

mrfrosty
Aug 4, 2007, 12:59 AM
How come most farmers i see drive round in range rover sports ?

Queso
Aug 4, 2007, 03:01 AM
Because it's a justifiable business expense on their tax returns :)

Markleshark
Aug 4, 2007, 03:16 AM
Just read this, doesn't look as bad but it brings back very bad memories living in a rural area.

Hopefully they'll contain it.

Because despite what a lot of farmers will tell you, there is a lot of money in farming, and a lot of farmers did very well (financially) out of the first out-break.

Dagless
Aug 4, 2007, 05:21 AM
Christ, not again. I remember the night a few of us saw a giant on a hillside, turned out that was something to do with Foot and Mouth and I dread to think what was in there :(

CortexRock
Aug 4, 2007, 05:33 AM
a few of us saw a giant on a hillside

It was probably Grawp (Hagrid's half-brother) out for a stroll... :D

mrfrosty
Aug 4, 2007, 06:06 AM
Christ, not again. I remember the night a few of us saw a giant on a hillside, turned out that was something to do with Foot and Mouth and I dread to think what was in there :(

I love this ! So it wasn't a giant after all then ?

Dagless
Aug 4, 2007, 07:21 AM
It was a jolly green giant :D

Ruddy nora I forgot to put "fire" in there!

Just caught this on BBCNews24. Last I heard they were trying to find out which of the 7 strains it was, and Gordon Brown gave a speech about "doing stuff fast". The cull is in action. Etc.

Eraserhead
Aug 4, 2007, 08:31 AM
Because despite what a lot of farmers will tell you, there is a lot of money in farming, and a lot of farmers did very well (financially) out of the first out-break.

True, though I suspect it depends on what they are farming, milk for example costs the same in Tesco's (in pounds and pence) as it did in the 1970's.

Also 4x4's are also useful cars for farmers as they can go off-road in them ;).

21stcenturykid
Aug 4, 2007, 06:04 PM
Just read this, doesn't look as bad but it brings back very bad memories living in a rural area.

Hopefully they'll contain it.

I think you'll find the "PURE" farmers ie farmers who only do one thing.. pigs, cows, sheep, and arable farmers to some extent would be right in saying there is no money in it. The ones who are riding around in big range rovers you will probably find have had lots of land and sold most of it for housing developments or sold out to stupid EU schemes like insect corridors. Also Bio mass plantation schemes have alot of money in them aswel.

Alot of farmers did very well??:eek: I think losing their livelyhoods and their main source of income for over a year...we made a loss in the 10's of thousands over a matter of months during foot and mouth! Even tho we didnt have to have our herd culled!

but yes i hope it's contained!

Applespider
Aug 4, 2007, 06:07 PM
Alarmingly they have now identified the strain as being identical to the one which the nearby (3 miles away) Institute for Animal Health has on site and which another company manufactures vaccines for at the same place. A smoking gun?

21stcenturykid
Aug 5, 2007, 05:09 AM
Alarmingly they have now identified the strain as being identical to the one which the nearby (3 miles away) Institute for Animal Health has on site and which another company manufactures vaccines for at the same place. A smoking gun?

Smoking gun? nah sounds like its been carried onto the infected farm by someone frm the institute on their boots.