PDA

View Full Version : educational discounts/ buying eMACor PB

gradstudent
Jul 30, 2003, 05:29 PM
I'm heading off to school and I need a new mac. I want a 12" PB but I don't need the mobility for another year or two (although it's always nice!) Is it worth the extra money to get a 12" PB or just settle for the 1Ghz eMAC w/ CD-RW. Also if I wait for the PB revisions will they raise the educ price, it's at 1399 right now and it seems a steal?

Waluigi
Jul 30, 2003, 05:47 PM
If you go with the powerbook, you can get an iPod for 69 bucks more. Personally, I'd get the powerbook for the iPod, and so it will be portable when you need it to be down the road. Good luck in your decision!

--Waluigi

QCassidy352
Jul 30, 2003, 06:15 PM
i'd go emac personally... the 12" powerbook is not powerful enough to get you through 4 years, IMO. Of course, I guess the emac isn't really either... but at least you get the faster bus, max of 1 gig RAM, and faster processor. All for a lot less money.

gradstudent
Jul 30, 2003, 06:36 PM
thanks for the advice but you're an optimist...grad school should be at least 5 years! (Bio PhD)

sockeatingdryer
Jun 2, 2004, 12:17 PM
Well, it really depends on what you need.
The PowerBook offers mobility, but the eMac has a bigger screen.

I think you should get something that blends the two together: the 14" iBook.

flyfish29
Jun 2, 2004, 12:45 PM
I don't think anyone can suggest something without knowing what you will do with it. Research on the web, office stuff, web design, photoshop, etc.?????? Until we know that we can't rec. a good match. If you want sheer speed it would be a certain one, if you need to multitask simple items you might want a larger screen, if you want portability then iBook or Powerbook,etc. Please give us more details and also about your future portability needs which you hint at in the original post.

It is kind of like saying which car is best for me...Grand Cherokee or hybrid? If we don't know what you will use it for we can't make a good rec...except for our preferences based on our needs and wants.

Johnny