PDA

View Full Version : New iMacs on Tuesday?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Aug 6, 2007, 05:03 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple is hosting a Media Event on Tuesday, August 7th, 2007 for a Mac-focused announcement. There have been long running rumors about potential iMac updates. The Apple iMac was last updated 334 days ago in September 2006 (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/09/06/apple-releases-core-2-duo-imac-adds-24-inch-imac/).

We've received word that price points for the new "Good", "Better", and "Ultra" iMac models will fall at $1199, $1499, and $1799 price points. No details beyond this are available, and it does not exclude the possibility of other configurations.

Of interest, this differs from the existing iMac lineup which currently holds a range of 17", 20" and 24" models which hit $999, $1199, $1499, and $1999 price points.

Rumors have previously (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/06/brushed-aluminum-imacs-in-august/) pointed to the elimination of the low end 17" iMac model, which could correlate with these price points. Other reports have claimed that the new iMacs will see a striking (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/20/next-apple-imacs-with-striking-new-industrial-design/) new industrial design.

Since MacRumors was not invited to the Media Event, we will be unable to provide live updates (http://www.macrumorslive.com), but we will point you to sites that can and provide running updates as well as the usual lively discussion (http://forums.macrumors.com). We will provide SMS updates (http://www.macrumors.com/lists/) for those away from a computer butn o spoiler free coverage will be provided as we are uncertain if a full video of the event will be posted.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/06/new-imacs-on-tuesday/)

pknz
Aug 6, 2007, 05:05 PM
Oh, poor MacRumors, not invited to the party.:(

FJ218700
Aug 6, 2007, 05:06 PM
if true, I don't like the elevated price points. Hopefully a new mini to fill the gap?

fanbrain
Aug 6, 2007, 05:07 PM
This sounds like it will be quite a fun event. I'm in the market for a new Mac and iLife suite and I can't wait to see what comes tomorrow!

aswitcher
Aug 6, 2007, 05:08 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

SNIP

We've received word that price points for the new "Good", "Better", and "Ultra" iMac models will fall at $1199, $1499, and $1799 price points. No details beyond this are available, and it does not exclude the possibility of other configurations.

Of interest, this differs from the existing iMac lineup which currently holds a range of 17", 20" and 24" models which hit $999, $1199, $1499, and $1999 price points.

SNIP

It would be very nice if the new entry level 20" was $1199 USD.

Ultra model - sounds interesting. 2GB ram standard I guess.

mozmac
Aug 6, 2007, 05:08 PM
Bummer...I was hoping for "MacRumorsLive.com" coverage. Apple should have invited MacRumors. I always make it a point to click on links on MacRumors to Apple's site rather than typing in the URLs myself so that Apple will see how much traffic MacRumors brings them.

sfwalter
Aug 6, 2007, 05:10 PM
I'm crossing my fingers in hope that the Mac Mini is upgraded and not discontinued.

nlivo
when they say its all mac related does that mean they might still release iLife etc. ...??

WannaGoMac
WOW, guess apple doesn't want to get rid of the old reputation of being expensive.

Geesh.That's a lot of money, so much for the sub $999 market.

Peace
Aug 6, 2007, 05:11 PM
So this means no macrumorslive tomorrow ?

iJawn108
Aug 6, 2007, 05:11 PM
'...one more thing, the G6 iMac." :eek:

bigraz
Aug 6, 2007, 05:12 PM
I hope that the "ultra" will give me an opportunity to have at least 4 GB of ram, and 2 1 TB hard drives.

That is all I want ... for now.;)

dernhelm
Aug 6, 2007, 05:12 PM
Ultra? How could they skip Super? What's after Ultra? Mega?

Super... Ultra... Mega!

Stupid name - what's wrong with Good, Better, Best?

I do like the price points if it is 20", 24", and 24" with two raid-0 hard-drives and lots and lots of RAM.

nagromme
Aug 6, 2007, 05:13 PM
WOW, guess apple doesn't want to get rid of the old reputation of being expensive.

The iMac wasn't Apple's main low-end machine. That was the Mac Mini. Maybe that will continue.

And the iMacs are only "expensive" if they cost significantly more than an equivalent name-brand PC. But they don't, in fact, and the new ones aren't likely to either. In fact, the new ones are likely to be an even better deal than the old.

"Equivalent" is the key. A higher-level Mac does of course cost more than a lower-level PC, just like a higher-level Dell costs more than a lower-level HP. This page hasn't been updated in a while, but it makes the point that you need to look at ALL specs before you make the mistake of thinking that a stripped-down cheap Dell (or whatever) is identical to a fully-loaded Mac with software bundle:
http://www.systemshootouts.org/shootouts/desktop/2006/0926_dt1100.html

aswitcher
Aug 6, 2007, 05:13 PM
if true, I don't like the elevated price points. Hopefully a new mini to fill the gap?

Thats my thinking as well. They have created a bigger niche to put redesigned minis or headless iMacs ;)

!¡ V ¡!
Aug 6, 2007, 05:14 PM
Here is hoping for a 20" (Good), 24" (Better) and, 24" (Ultra) screen size models.

Sounds like the 17" screen is canned. And it's highly unlikely that a 30" screen option will be released. However the option for a higher resolution 24" would be welcomed. :)

ATG
Aug 6, 2007, 05:15 PM
I'd buy it if it looked like a dell :p Just release it!!!

I hope they make a video available

Le Big Mac
Aug 6, 2007, 05:16 PM
I'm crossing my fingers in hope that the Mac Mini is upgraded and not discontinued.

What about neither? If it's not updated tomorrow, then it seems likely to be discountinued. But why would they pull it from stores right away?

nakile
Aug 6, 2007, 05:16 PM
Glad to see some of the current prices sticking if this turns out to be true.

My two main hopes are that a SuperDrive and that one Firewire 800 port are standard. It's 2007! Not to mention that FW800 will be a god when it comes to Time Machine.

Antares
Aug 6, 2007, 05:17 PM
Major snub to MacRumors here..... :eek:

Well, I'm not in the market for a new compy yet. However, I'm actually really excited to see what's coming.

!¡ V ¡!
I hope that the "ultra" will give me an opportunity to have at least 4 GB of ram, and 2 1 TB hard drives.

HDD draws for easy expandability, limited as it may seem.

Peace
If true the iMac's going to be a good deal because the current 24" is $1999

4God
Aug 6, 2007, 05:18 PM
Here is hoping for a 20" (Good), 24" (Better) and, 24" (Ultra) screen size models.

Sounds like the 17" screen is canned. And it's highly unlikely that a 30" screen option will be released. However the option for a higher resolution 24" would be welcomed. :)

How 'bout a 27"?

bobobo
Aug 6, 2007, 05:19 PM
Complaints about Apple's prices being expensive stem from they always stay at late-early adopter market price. Compared to the earlier adopter market they are a bargain. But for the late adopters they are very expensive.

The late adopter's equilibrium price point is around $600 including the lot.

fastbite
Aug 6, 2007, 05:20 PM
MacRumors should have been invited! Regardless, I have the feeling we'll get some surprises apart from the more obvious; dead Mini, new iMacs. I feel the the ultra-portable will be announce and the new keyboard will have some surprises regarding multi-touch.

illegalprelude
Aug 6, 2007, 05:20 PM
so im assuming there will be no video provided from Apple because this is just more of a press thing then like the WWDC and such right?

Zwhaler
Aug 6, 2007, 05:21 PM
I'm excited!! I love my iMac, but I can't wait to see what the new ones are like. Perhaps we will get a MacTower as well!

Gymnut
Aug 6, 2007, 05:21 PM
Great news, although I'm hoping it won't be just the iMacs that see an update.

bobobo
Aug 6, 2007, 05:22 PM
As a logical notion, this does not mean, there will be no budget iMac.

Good and budget don't mix very well in the computer industry, yet.

ksz
So this means no macrumorslive tomorrow ?
Engadget will be reporting live here (http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/07/live-from-apples-summer-mac-product-press-conference/).

benspratling

you and me both, I should have sold my cube years ago when it would have bought me more...

Peace
There isn't going to be a dead mini.It will morph.

Mac-Addict
What time is the event in the uk?

matthewHUB
Aug 6, 2007, 05:25 PM
how come MR didn't get invited and other sites did???

Truesilver
Aug 6, 2007, 05:25 PM

A good website for sorting out timezones etc, is:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

It has lots of great features for converting timezones, seeing what time it is where, etc...

suneohair
Aug 6, 2007, 05:27 PM

6pm

Toe
Aug 6, 2007, 05:29 PM
The iMac is a touch-interface tablet computer:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=337948

Mac-Addict
Aug 6, 2007, 05:30 PM

Press like Newspapers and News channels not blogs. Blogs aren't seen as important as news channels and newspapers.

MarkMS
Aug 6, 2007, 05:34 PM
*cross fingers*

/me is hoping for an unexpected announcement of a small MBP. ;)

NEENAHBOY
Aug 6, 2007, 05:36 PM
Blogs aren't seen as important as news channels and newspapers.

Not yet, anyway.

bananas
Aug 6, 2007, 05:37 PM

I think Apple has to replace Mac Mini with something if they discontinue it.
Something priced between $700 and $900. How could they not sell any machines cheaper than MacBook? So I really don't care if Mini gets discontinued, as long as there's something cheaper than $1000 laptop or $1200 desktop available.

LagunaSol
Complaints about Apple's prices being expensive stem from they always stay at late-early adopter market price. Compared to the earlier adopter market they are a bargain. But for the late adopters they are very expensive.

Agreed. While equivalent PCs quickly plummet in price and increase in performance, the Macs stay stagnant longer and see little or no price reductions. Witness the tired-out Radeon X1600 that's been in the 20" Intel iMac since its introduction 18 months ago. Sad.

I pay a premium for my Macs and I do so happily, but I'd love to see Apple take a more aggressive stance on pricing and frequent performance boosts. With all that cash in the bank, it's time to go for more market share.

bobobo

Secret exclusive rights bidding.

Apple news is hot stuff. Generates millions of dollars in ad revenue.

mrgreen4242
Aug 6, 2007, 05:38 PM
MacRumors should have been invited! Regardless, I have the feeling we'll get some surprises apart from the more obvious; dead Mini, new iMacs. I feel the the ultra-portable will be announce and the new keyboard will have some surprises regarding multi-touch.

If they kill the mini and drop the 17"/$999 iMac they have to replace it with something else in the sub $1000 market. $1000 pushes most peoples budgets for a computer, and starting OVER that isn't ideal.

I think the iMac AND the mini will get complete revamps. The iMac will be very dramatic, it's what we all expect. The mini will be a 'one more thing', and be more an evolution of the current mini than a "revolution" like the iMac will be.

I think they'll use the AppleTV as the base, make it 2x as tall, and stick with slower CPUs (compared to the new iMac), slower GPU (X3000, most likely) but otherwise be like an iMac (3.5" HDD, etc). The iMac will go aluminum and the mini will be white plastic like the current iMac and AirPort Extreme look.

pcorajr
Aug 6, 2007, 05:39 PM
Wow that is great news. I already got my Check Card ready for tomorrow. Wonder what this "Ultra" model is? Maybe a 24" iMac with a nice video card and 2gb of ram?

Cant wait!!!:D

Peace
Aug 6, 2007, 05:40 PM
Great I can visualize Apple legal calling arn at 3am telling him to remove Apple confidential info then inviting him to an Apple product event.

Get real..

As long as MR posts stuff like the iPod video a couple of weeks ago it will never be invited to a Stevenote.

Nothing personal arn..I love MacRumors.But since it's MacRUMORS this will never happen.

AutumnSkyline
Aug 6, 2007, 05:42 PM
If they kill the mini and drop the 17"/$999 iMac they have to replace it with something else in the sub $1000 market. $1000 pushes most peoples budgets for a computer, and starting OVER that isn't ideal.

I think the iMac AND the mini will get complete revamps. The iMac will be very dramatic, it's what we all expect. The mini will be a 'one more thing', and be more an evolution of the current mini than a "revolution" like the iMac will be.

I think they'll use the AppleTV as the base, make it 2x as tall, and stick with slower CPUs (compared to the new iMac), slower GPU (X3000, most likely) but otherwise be like an iMac (3.5" HDD, etc). The iMac will go aluminum and the mini will be white plastic like the current iMac and AirPort Extreme look.

I think it would be cool if it were clear ;) and what would be even cooler is if it used the "chameleon" patent they filed a while ago.

Hey, we can dream, can't we?

ariel
Aug 6, 2007, 05:44 PM
Wow that is great news. I already got my Check Card ready for tomorrow. Wonder what this "Ultra" model is? Maybe a 24" iMac with a nice video card and 2gb of ram?

Cant wait!!!:D

Ditto - $ burning a hole in my pocket... will be disappointed if they aren't available immediately! I plan to buy more than 2gb ram tho - i've been using 1.5 and Aperture needs more than 2gb me thinks.

Eidorian
Very nice pricing before my education discount but I want something upgradeable. :(

mongoos150
Cheaper prices! That means $1699 for the ultimate w/education discount! W00T!

kbrain2929
Aug 6, 2007, 05:45 PM
I just wanna know about a live video, or live audio feed. Heck.. even a cell phone held up would be nice. lol. Bring on iMac's!!! :apple:

Kebabselector
Aug 6, 2007, 05:46 PM
Saw this on flickr tonight.

Probably old and made up (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9719807@N07/1026821096/)

(yes i was bored)

Peace
Aug 6, 2007, 05:46 PM
These price points help confirm the projected downturn in profit due to product transitions.

AlexisV
Aug 6, 2007, 05:47 PM
Ok, the current 20" iMac costs $1199 and comes with a 2.0Ghz Core 2, 250Gb HD, 1Gb of RAM and a Radeon 128mb.

If the iMac costs more than $1199 and doesn't come with at least a 2.2Ghz Core 2, 1Gb RAM, 250Gb and a 256Mb GeForce 8600 then it is poor value.

Wayfarer
Aug 6, 2007, 05:47 PM
The iMac is a touch-interface tablet computer:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=337948

Live coverage, huh? Thanks for providing the link! :cool:

Eraserhead
Aug 6, 2007, 05:50 PM
Secret exclusive rights bidding.

Apple news is hot stuff. Generates millions of dollars in ad revenue.

Its probably because MR is a rumour site, whereas engadget isn't primarily one.

pgwalsh
Aug 6, 2007, 05:51 PM
My wishful thinking is for touchscreen iMacs which double as tMacs (tablet mac). :p

twoodcc
Aug 6, 2007, 05:52 PM

now this would be great. i really hope apple keeps the mini, but it needs to be refreshed bad.

say goodbye to the 17" imac, and hello to the new imac. clearly it's coming tomorrow

Zwhaler
Aug 6, 2007, 05:52 PM
I don't think that the entire 2 hour conference will be about iMacs and .Mac. I think that we will get another product in our hands (perhaps an ultraportable or a tower)

phungy
Aug 6, 2007, 05:53 PM
BoyGenius didn't get any love from Mr. Jobs either.

ariel
Aug 6, 2007, 05:55 PM
I don't think that the entire 2 hour conference will be about iMacs and .Mac. I think that we will get another product in our hands (perhaps an ultraportable or a tower)

I may have missed it... who said it was 2 hours? the keynotes are only 1.5

kbrain2929
(Picturing Steve walking on stage...)
"Good morning! Thanks for coming! Well... we've brought you all here to discuss one thing... Mac Software! You know... there is tons of new software out there, and.... " (Pictures everyone walking out!) :D

aafuss1
I hope Apple won't post service manual for the new models on service.info.apple.com before it is even announced.

Southern
These are still very competitive prices for a Mac, I just hope us UK users won't get too shafted on the exchange rate. However, I do believe that the price drop that Apple gave on the laptop range because of the differences in currency prices earlier in the year indicates that the UK prices won't be too bad.

I was thinking about what they could do to upgrade the iMac, short of putting a quad core machine together or an upgrade to the chip architechture, especially seeing as this iMac will be the first major redesign in a couple of years. So it may be likely that the new iMac has a touchable screen - something to match a similiar offering from HP as well as to fit with their touch-screen iPhones.

Personally I am most looking forward to the new design. I have gotten quite fond of the G5/Intel iMac because of the slim profile and cute look (sure, the chin is annoying, but hey). How can you make a Mac like that better? Perhaps in the style of the new keyboard that was apparently leaked last month. Never mind, I will always be happy with something strikingly new in Apple's product line.

Roll on 6pm!

yagran
Aug 6, 2007, 05:57 PM
6pm

youre wrong, i think its 5pm (7 hours difference). still means ill have to wait until wednesday to go to bluewater to check out the new product/s!

aafuss1
Aug 6, 2007, 05:58 PM
Will you still need a "access card" tool to repair these iMacs?

The EDU model-will it use the X3100 GPU.
The 20"/24":will it get a 8400 (8600 optional)?

mambodancer
What about neither? If it's not updated tomorrow, then it seems likely to be discountinued. But why would they pull it from stores right away?

I don't know where the rumor that the mini will be discontinued comes from. It continues to be one of the top selling Macs in the retail channel according to Microcenter and Compusa.

Can anyone cite a source for that rumor? I can certainly believe that the product line will be updated but not discontinued. If it is, it'll be discontinued in the same sense the eMac was discontinued and replaced by the Mac Mini.

zv470
I really hope we will start to see Macs with HDCP support soon.

longofest
Aug 6, 2007, 05:59 PM
I will always be puzzled why Apple doesn't choose to invite MacRumors to these events. Perhaps it is because we cover news AND rumors, but at the same time, they invite sites like Engadget who post just as many rumors (and are perhaps a little less keen with their ability to detect fakes).

Either way, sometimes I wish Apple would play ball with us a little nicer, all-considering (http://normalkid.com/2007/07/31/all-others-are-2-or-lower/).

Wie Gehts
Aug 6, 2007, 05:59 PM
This will have nothing to do with products. Jobs is holding a press conference to announce that he is stepping down as ceo and will be leaving his wife and kids for another woman.

shpanzer
Aug 6, 2007, 06:00 PM
hi...i find this (http://pablogger.wordpress.com/) image and i don't know if is true or a fake....

yagran
Aug 6, 2007, 06:01 PM
hi...i find this (http://pablogger.wordpress.com/) image and i don't know if is true or a fake....

is fake... is fake im sure... much love

FJ218700
Aug 6, 2007, 06:02 PM

see this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=338079)

shpanzer
Aug 6, 2007, 06:03 PM
ah ok.. thanks :D

pattern
Aug 6, 2007, 06:03 PM
Ultra? How could they skip Super? What's after Ultra? Mega?

Super... Ultra... Mega!

Stupid name - what's wrong with Good, Better, Best?

I doubt they are official names..

Southern
Aug 6, 2007, 06:04 PM

Looks like we might be right about the touchscreen...

Genre
Aug 6, 2007, 06:04 PM
OK! I admit it I'm new to this. Where is the best place togo to see what happens tomorrow?

aafuss1
Aug 6, 2007, 06:05 PM
I think Apple has to replace Mac Mini with something if they discontinue it.
Something priced between $700 and $900. How could they not sell any machines cheaper than MacBook? So I really don't care if Mini gets discontinued, as long as there's something cheaper than $1000 laptop or $1200 desktop available.

I agree-Apple needs a low-cost Mac:for those who want to switch from PC to Mac, and have a monitor already (perhaps screen-spanning on all iMacs as standard).

Rocketman
Aug 6, 2007, 06:05 PM
MacRumors should have been invited!

I suspect it is more a matter of protocol as well as "audience size". Has Arn even registered with either the Press Association or Apple itself as "press"? I suspect not.

Has Arn even asked for an invitation to special events?

Apple regularly "uses" Macrumors to do trial balloons and misdirections. Apple benefits from the mostly honest and sligtly fanboy tone of this site and certainly must appreciate what little Arn has done on television re Apple.

Rocketman

http://www.apple.com/pr/contacts/

"If you are a journalist and unsure of your best contact, feel free to email the Media Helpline or call (408) 974-2042."

• Jaz •
Aug 6, 2007, 06:06 PM

The advert seems tinily misaligned - unless that's normal?

Southern
Aug 6, 2007, 06:09 PM
The advert seems tinily misaligned - unless that's normal?

Just looked at it again and I am sceptical. The text of the other two adverts below it is not as jpegged and blotchy as the relatively crisp type of the mac advert in question. So someone forgot to use the blur tool on the type after writing it themselves. Woah, I should have looked more carefully.

NewSc2
Aug 6, 2007, 06:11 PM
OK! I admit it I'm new to this. Where is the best place togo to see what happens tomorrow?

If you come here MacRumors will probably be updating things as they see it. I'm pretty sure Engadget would've been invited, they're pretty good too.

mark88
Aug 6, 2007, 06:11 PM
All Apple need to do to gain market share is make an affordable mac or one in a more appealing form factor.

Yes, I realise if you compare the any mac to a similar spec PC the mac might be cheaper but the problem is not everyone needs those specs...

Recently my neighbour needed a new laptop, I told him to get a Macbook. The problem is they start at £700 and you can get Acer laptops that do pretty much all he needs for £300. For him no matter how much I told him the mac was worth it the extra £400 in his pocket won out.

It's the same across the board. I just don't get why Apple don't try and fill these holes.

Sean Dempsey
Aug 6, 2007, 06:12 PM
Just looked at it again and I am sceptical. The text of the other two adverts below it is not as jpegged and blotchy as the relatively crisp type of the mac advert in question. So someone forgot to use the blur tool on the type after writing it themselves. Woah, I should have looked more carefully.

or... you know, the font size is totally different?

Mr-Stabby

Look at it properly, you can see the crappy white square they've put over the original ad, its a pathetic fake.:rolleyes:

Wayfarer
"Good morning! Thanks for coming! Well... we've brought you all here to discuss one thing... Mac Software! You know... there is tons of new software out there, and.... " (Pictures everyone walking out!) :D

Replace "Mac Software" with "the iPhone" and that would be even more hilarious!

"Good morning! Thanks for coming! Well... unfortunately, I regret to announce that all the mac-related announcements you might have been expecting today have been delayed until next month. (People start booing) Relax guys... there's one more thing! We've brought you all here to discuss one thing and one thing only... the unprecedented success of my beloved iPhone! Let's take a look at..." (People shout profanity and stampede out the auditorium) :D :apple:

gnasher729
Aug 6, 2007, 06:14 PM
All Apple need to do to gain market share is make an affordable mac or one in a more appealing form factor.

Yes, I realise if you compare the any mac to a similar spec PC the mac might be cheaper but the problem is not everyone needs those specs...

Recently my neighbour needed a new laptop, I told him to get a Macbook. The problem is they start at £700 and you can get Acer laptops that do pretty much all he needs for £300. For him no matter how much I told him the mac was worth it the extra £400 in his pocket won out.

It's the same across the board. I just don't get why Apple don't try and fill these holes.

Apple made about $850 million profit in the last quarter. Gateway made about 12 dollars and 26 cents profit in the same time frame. Does that explain it?

pattern
Aug 6, 2007, 06:14 PM

Mate what are you going to do with a 28 inch touchscreen? Its pretty ridiculous that people still think this is going to happen. Costs aside it is barely useful for anybody.

appleguy
Aug 6, 2007, 06:15 PM
I dont see there being raid 0 in any of the machines or support for 2 hard drives
I have a feeling they are going to go for a slimmer design take the HDD's down to 2.5" SATA as for too long the iMacs have been stealing sales away from the MacPro

davekarn
Aug 6, 2007, 06:16 PM
Wow, I LOVE these prices! $200 less then the standard 24" version now, and that's before my EPP discount

pattern
Aug 6, 2007, 06:17 PM
Wow, I LOVE these prices! $200 less then the standard 24" version now, and that's before my EPP discount

Indeed, hope things turn out nicely here in Australia too.

kbrain2929
Aug 6, 2007, 06:17 PM
Replace "Mac Software" with "the iPhone" and that would be even more hilarious!

"Good morning! Thanks for coming! Well... unfortunately, I regret to announce that all the mac-related announcements you might have been expecting today have been delayed until next month. (People start booing) Relax guys... there's one more thing! We've brought you all here to discuss one thing and one thing only... the unprecedented success of my beloved iPhone! Let's take a look at..." (People shout profanity and stampede out the auditorium) :D :apple:

ROTFL! lol. I never enven thought about that. I also see Phil and Johny Ive siting in the back, locking the doors!

Hopstretch
Aug 6, 2007, 06:20 PM
I just hope they aren't going to cripple the new high-end iMac to try and upsell power users to the Mac Pro. It seems a bit odd that the only price cut relative to the G5s would be at the very top of the line.

pattern
Aug 6, 2007, 06:21 PM
I just hope they aren't going to cripple the new high-end iMac to try and upsell power users to the Mac Pro. It seems a bit odd that the only price cut relative to the G5s would be at the very top of the line.

It can only be better than what they have now.

tackchevy
Aug 6, 2007, 06:26 PM

Bah, hogwash. 24-28 inch touchscreen. Ba ha ha, maybe in 18 months they'll release that wall-size deal from Minority Report, and we'll all to wear those gloves to check email...

Nah, seriously though, they're just now putting out a little touchscreen and testing the waters with that... And wouldn't a 28-inch touchscreen cost a little more than 1,799?

MarkMS
Aug 6, 2007, 06:28 PM

(yes i was bored)

If that's the iMac, I don't think I will be selling my C2D iMac for it.

MacsRgr8
Aug 6, 2007, 06:29 PM
No speculation on what these new iMacs would give to us?

Assuming the new prices, it must be a substantial upgrade.
Not just 20" screen (got that now for that price), but will Apple go for Penryn chips?
Better grfx?

Will Apple make it so that the interior wil not be mobile, but desktop class?

How about the possibility of upgrading?
RAM (ofcourse)
Grfx (after market that is...)
HD (maybe even the option to add a 2nd HD.... RAID config, or Time Machine)

Can't wait! :apple:

freeman24
Aug 6, 2007, 06:31 PM
youre wrong, i think its 5pm (7 hours difference). still means ill have to wait until wednesday to go to bluewater to check out the new product/s!

Nope think your wrong :D , GMT is 5PM, BST(British Summer Time) its gonna be 6PM :cool:

mark88
Aug 6, 2007, 06:31 PM
Apple made about $850 million profit in the last quarter. Gateway made about 12 dollars and 26 cents profit in the same time frame. Does that explain it?

not really given Apple sell little white boxes of joy called iPods and secondly an affordable Computer from Apple would be a different prospect to one sold and marketed by "Gateway".

Apple want market share because that is where the profit is. How much did Microsoft make in the same quarter? ;-)

davekarn
Aug 6, 2007, 06:32 PM

That's a good point and was wondering why they would in fact be cheaper. Usually when a new version of something comes out (especially a computer) they tend to cost the same if not a lil bit more. I wonder how far the current iMacs will drop in price as a result of this. I would guess they wouldn't sell it for much more than $1499 (24") and about a $400-$500 price drop for the rest of the sizes.

skellener
Aug 6, 2007, 06:33 PM
Wait, Apple still makes desktop computers? They haven't updated anything except the laptops in so long, I forgot!

casik
Aug 6, 2007, 06:33 PM

you have to be kidding me... maybe the four gigs of RAM, but there is no way they will throw two hard drives in one comp.... IF YOU WANT SOMETHING LIKE THAT GET A MAC PRO!

happylittlemac
Aug 6, 2007, 06:34 PM
Looking into my magic ball I predict that the new iMacs will come in the three models and price ranges talked about there will be no 'low end basic' model, the Mac Mini will be discontinued sadly, the new iMac's will have a new design modeled on the MacBook pro design but won't have that stupid looking keyboard mockup from a few days ago.

However due to the unpredictable nature of my magic ball I could be completely wrong :).

main chochacho
Aug 6, 2007, 06:38 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before (no time to read the previous pages), but Apple retail store staff are staying overnight on Wednesday the 8th for a visual refresh of the store.

This leads me to believe that the iMacs will be released on Thursday the 9th.

daniel851
Aug 6, 2007, 06:39 PM
Wouldn't it be (not) funny if Apple didn't release the iMacs? I have to have faith though, because I'm expecting a new computer for school, and it's been quite sometime now. :rolleyes:

JRM PowerPod
This is what i reckon is a reasonable guess for what is to happen

$1199
20"
2.2GHZ
1GB (upto 4gb)
160GB
SuperDrive
X3100

$1499
20"
2.2GHZ (option to 2.4)
2GB
250GB
SuperDrive
8600 - 128 (option to 256gt)

$1799
24"
2.4GHZ
2GB
250GB
SuperDrive
8600gt - 256

ImAlwaysRight
Wow, $300 price difference between all 3 models ... top one called Ultra ... must mean 20", 24", and 24" with better specs. Or else 20", 20" better specs, and 24" with same specs as 20" better.

Whatever, can't wait!!!

TantalizedMind
Aug 6, 2007, 06:41 PM
I'd really love a cheap Mac-Tower. Though I know it's not Apple's thing. I'm just sayin', it'd be nice to see one tomorrow. lol

MacsRgr8
Aug 6, 2007, 06:43 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before (no time to read the previous pages), but Apple retail store staff are staying overnight on Wednesday the 8th for a visual refresh of the store.

This leads me to believe that the iMacs will be released on Thursday the 9th.

Where did you get that info?

medazinol
Aug 6, 2007, 06:43 PM
I've been waiting to buy a new 24" iMac to replace my aging 20" model which will go to my wife (replaces her old PC).

I certainly hope there is a price drop as well as an adjustment to the Canadian exchange rate since the US dollar has fallen sharply. Right now it's cheaper to buy a machine in the US even when you take into account the exchange rate and taxes.

This was not the case when the US dollar was much higher. It made sense then to buy locally but not anymore so Apple Canada needs to take this into account...

Play Ultimate
Aug 6, 2007, 06:45 PM

I see these comments over and over again. Fact is, Apple tried to service every niche...and it almost made them bankrupt. In the early 90's, Apple had the Performas, the LCs, and stuff I don't even remember. They hit every price point. The problem was people were confused; not knowing or understanding the differences. Certain models sold-out and others were left to rot. Trying to service, update, and inventory everything was a nightmare. One of the first things SJ did when he was brought back into the Apple fold was to simplify the product line to basically Consumer Desktop & Laptop, Pro Desktop and Laptop. This was nearly 10 years ago and they have basically kept the same organization since that time. Considering Apple's stock price and increased marketshare, I think it has worked well.

casik
Aug 6, 2007, 06:45 PM
why would you want a cheap mac tower? it would ahve the same specs as the iMacs.... hmmmm iMac or large tower with external screen.... iMac....

pattern
Aug 6, 2007, 06:48 PM

$1199
20"
2.2GHZ
1GB (upto 4gb)
160GB
SuperDrive
X3100

$1499
20"
2.2GHZ (option to 2.4)
2GB
250GB
SuperDrive

$1799
24"
2.4GHZ
2GB
250GB
SuperDrive
8600gt - 256

Sounds pretty good. But 500gb hdd (320 at least) for ultra surely

pattern
Aug 6, 2007, 06:48 PM
why would you want a cheap mac tower? it would ahve the same specs as the iMacs.... hmmmm iMac or large tower with external screen.... iMac....

A tower would naturally have desktop chips i.e Conroe

ImAlwaysRight
Aug 6, 2007, 06:52 PM

$1199
20"
2.2GHZ
1GB (upto 4gb)
160GB
SuperDrive
X3100

$1499
20"
2.2GHZ (option to 2.4)
2GB
250GB
SuperDrive

$1799
24"
2.4GHZ
2GB
250GB
SuperDrive
8600gt - 256
Newegg has had 400GB SATA drives for $80 recently. I just bought a 500GB for $100 shipped over a month ago. I sure hope to see at least a 400 or 500GB drive in the high end. Low and mid should have 250GB. The Rev. B iMac G5 released in May 2005 had 160GB in the low end. It is time for an upgrade this area.

TantalizedMind
Aug 6, 2007, 06:53 PM

Even if it's internals were the same as an iMac's, it'd be cheaper with the lack of screen.

ChrisA
Aug 6, 2007, 06:54 PM
...Other reports have claimed that the new iMacs will see a new industrial design....

Here's an idea: The old iMacs have the guts of the computer inside the display. Maybe the new iMacs will have the guts of the computer inside the keyboard. This means:

1) You can use any display you like, Apples Cinema Display or Dell.
2) There is no need to make or sell a Mini
3) The new iMac is just a MBP with the display and battery not included.

It would be a fast computer with a nice thin keyboard and, portable too.

That said, I don't want anything like that. Apple had it right 10 years ago when they were able to sell G4 Power Macs for $1,500. One would think Apple could again offer a $1,500 upgradeable box.

ImAlwaysRight
Aug 6, 2007, 06:57 PM
Think Secret (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0707imacpricing.html) is now reporting the same information with an article titled:

New iMac pricing to start at $1,199

pcorajr
Aug 6, 2007, 07:00 PM

WTF?:confused:

Nobody here is talking about who made what profit. All we can do is sit and wish for what people would like to see. Simple as that.

Is not what they did last year, it's what they can do in the future. Stupidity aside the truth is that just like any other hardware manufacturer there are Gaps that Apple need to fill in, regardless of them making a profit or not.

mongoos150
Aug 6, 2007, 07:00 PM
That's a good point and was wondering why they would in fact be cheaper. Usually when a new version of something comes out (especially a computer) they tend to cost the same if not a lil bit more. That's insane... My mind would explode if Apple downgraded the guts of the top-iMac so to gain more Mac Pro sales. Those of us who do video editing/gaming and need a pro machine but not a balls-to-the-wall expensive Mac Pro really appreciate the niche the top iMac creates (in a fantastic form factor). Here's to hoping it won't happen...

fawlty
Aug 6, 2007, 07:01 PM
Here's an idea: The old iMacs have the guts of the computer inside the display. Maybe the new iMacs will have the guts of the computer inside the keyboard.

They could call it the iMac ][.

Kebabselector
Aug 6, 2007, 07:01 PM
Personally still hoping a new mini. Though it seems people think it's gonna die as it's not been upgraded for a year. That logic would imply the iMac is gonna die then. Some seem to think the Apple TV has replaced it, but those seem to forget that the majority of Mini users use it as a desktop rather than a media centre.

The mini might go as a form factor, i'd be happy to see something a little bigger with a desktop processor and a 3.5Hdd.

Still in a few hours we'll know.

My random prediction (sponsered by Smirnoff) iMac to die. xMac to take it's place.

Pikemann Urge
Aug 6, 2007, 07:03 PM
Maybe all or at least some of the new Macs will include custom H.264 encoding processors. That would definitely accelerate Apple's vision for home video and help move the Apple TV. I mean even on powerful machines video encoding is not quick.

Dedicated H.264 processors will give the Mac a similar advantage to the PC as the Amiga did over the Mac and PC back in the '80s and early '90s.

ChrisA
Aug 6, 2007, 07:05 PM

We assume the tower would sell for less money because it does not include an LCD. Also we assume the tower would have an upgradeable video card and have slots for more RAM. It could also hold more internal disk drives so as not to cluter the workspace with little boxes and cables and wall worts power supplies.

Two problems with the iMac is that when the computer needs to be replaced you have to toss out a nice LCD monitor with it. and there is no "video in" plug on the iMac, so you might need another LCD.

Ten years ago Apple was able to sell what was then a high end Power Mac inside a tower case for $1,500.

ceruleanventure
Aug 6, 2007, 07:05 PM
All I can hope for is a nice ultra portable so I can finally stop thinking about buying the now very outdated 12 inch powerbook as a laptop replacement. I need something small, Apple!. I've held my brother's 15 inch Macbook pro and it's just too big for what I want. Well I'm going to keep hoping all tonight (while I clutch my Intel iMac; whispering into it that it's ok,I still like it even if it's about to become outdated!) Well a computer is only outdated when it no longer fits your needs, and my iMac suits me fine. I'll only ditch it if Apple releases tangerine iMacs or something :p

mongoos150
Aug 6, 2007, 07:08 PM
We assume the tower would sell for less money because it does not include an LCD. Also we assume the tower would have an upgradeable video card and have slots for more RAM. It could also hold more internal disk drives so as not to cluter the workspace with little boxes and cables and wall worts power supplies.

Two problems with the iMac is that when the computer needs to be replaced you have to toss out a nice LCD monitor with it. and there is no "video in" plug on the iMac, so you might need another LCD.

Ten years ago Apple was able to sell what was then a high end Power Mac inside a tower case for $1,500.Interesting thought, it's been tossed around forever, but I doubt we'll see it happen. Besides - who throws out their old mac?! Macs hold their resale value quite well. I eBay all of my old machines. My 24" auction is set to end in 51 minutes. And I always make up at least 75% of the cost of my new machine.

syklee26
Aug 6, 2007, 07:09 PM
Maybe all or at least some of the new Macs will include custom H.264 encoding processors. That would definitely accelerate Apple's vision for home video and help move the Apple TV. I mean even on powerful machines video encoding is not quick.

Dedicated H.264 processors will give the Mac a similar advantage to the PC as the Amiga did over the Mac and PC back in the '80s and early '90s.

i do believe this will happen.

Virgil-TB2
Aug 6, 2007, 07:11 PM
I'd really love a cheap Mac-Tower. Though I know it's not Apple's thing. I'm just sayin', it'd be nice to see one tomorrow. lol
I would be happy if they just made the iMac (and the mini), easier to service. I know that Apple is famous for cool industrial designs that are hard to open, but just for once wouldn't it be nice to be able to easily add memory to a mini or an iMac?

The situation reminds me of an old lady with a big moustache. Everyone can see it, but no one wants to say it out loud. Everyone who has ever worked with Apple hardware knows about this particular flaw in their design philosophy even though it's rarely brought up in public.

I love Macs and wouldn't touch Windows with a ten foot pole, but anyone who has ever changed memory on an iMac G4, G5, the intel variations or a mini knows it's just waaay more difficult to do this than it should be. You can't even open a mini without severely damaging it (or yourself), most of the time.

A huge leap forward IMO would be to take the plug in HD's and memory modules from the Mac Pro and do something similar on the iMac.

steve_hill4
Aug 6, 2007, 07:12 PM
Bah, hogwash. 24-28 inch touchscreen. Ba ha ha, maybe in 18 months they'll release that wall-size deal from Minority Report, and we'll all to wear those gloves to check email...

Nah, seriously though, they're just now putting out a little touchscreen and testing the waters with that... And wouldn't a 28-inch touchscreen cost a little more than 1,799?

If you look at the original picture, you'll see it's from MacRumors. Certainly looks that way. All other ads are in Spanish, this one along is in English. Surely more than one member here is from a Spanish speaking country and we would have widespread posting here. But let's assume we do only have one and even if that one user spotted it, surely the grab would have still been posted here first rather than to flickr.

Anyway, it would cost a lot more than $1799 for 28", touchscreen or not.

I do think there is still a possibility that the low-end iMac(s) will stay as educational models, like a new eMac. 17" for this and the 20" and 24" go on as iMacs. They may discontinue and re-launch later with slightly different design, cheaper components and lower prices. They may do it all tomorrow. Either way, I think we'll eventually have a new Mini/MacTV device, a new eMac and new iMacs.

syklee26
Aug 6, 2007, 07:13 PM
i knew this was going to happen. Apple couldn't start the iMac at $1499 like the current version. at $1199 it is a pretty good deal.

$1199 model

20 inch (no LED)
2.2ghz SR
250gb HD
1gb RAM
8600 128mb vid card
superdrive

$1499 model

20 inch (no LED)
2.4ghz SR
250gb HD
2gb RAM
8600 256mb vid card
superdrive

$1799 model

24 inch (no LED)
2.4ghz SR
500gb HD
2gb RAM
8600 256mb vid card
superdrive

and if pigs fly we might see 27 inch iMac. I highly doubt it though.

Stridder44
Aug 6, 2007, 07:17 PM

(yes i was bored)

I hope to God they don't look like that.

That's not a new cutting edge industrial design. That's a 5 year old ACD design with an HDD in it.

mongoos150
Aug 6, 2007, 07:18 PM
I hope to God they don't look like that.

That's not a new cutting edge industrial design. That's a 5 year old ACD design with an HDD in it.It's beautiful. 5 years old?! That's what the current ACD looks like - and it's the best looking display on the market.

queshy
Aug 6, 2007, 07:20 PM
Bah, now the question that will come is: To upgrade or not to upgrade from my current iMac!

I probably won't be upgrading but I'm so excited to see what steve has up his sleeve!

DanB91
Aug 6, 2007, 07:22 PM
im really hoping for a highly expandable/cheap/gaming tower. with all the games mac is getting, apple just doesnt have the hardware to run it that well. i hope apple makes this move. if so, i will see mac sales go up ALOT, and that will be my next computer for sure and my windows days (however small they may be) will come to an end. (well maybe turn it on once every 2 months for counter strike or something, lol)

offwidafairies
Aug 6, 2007, 07:24 PM
bring on the ultra portable

thesdx
Aug 6, 2007, 07:26 PM
I'm thinking that since the 17" will be axed, they will have to replace it with something, probably with the Mac Mini. Here's my wish.

Non-BYODKM
Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB RAM Standard
17" LED Screen
120GB HD Standard
$700

Also, they should scrap the name "Mac Mini" if it will become non-BYODKM. They should call it the iMac Nano.

Stridder44
Aug 6, 2007, 07:27 PM
5 years old?! That's what the current ACD looks like

I know! And it's old (maybe not 5 years old, but old enough). Freshen things up a bit!

I mean seriously there's nothing "innovative" with turning an ACD case into an iMac. I'd be cool with the brushed metal if they would just change the shape (like that potential "new" Apple Keyboard).

syklee26
Aug 6, 2007, 07:28 PM
I'm thinking that since the 17" will be axed, they will have to replace it with something, probably with the Mac Mini. Here's my wish.

Non-BYODKM
Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB RAM Standard
17" LED Screen
120GB HD Standard
$700

Also, they should scrap the name "Mac Mini" if it will become non-BYODKM. They should call it the iMac Nano.

even if apple brings back Mac Mini, there is ZERO chance of that configuration happening.

mongoos150
Aug 6, 2007, 07:29 PM
even if apple brings back Mac Mini, there is ZERO chance of that configuration happening.+1. And it wouldn't have the "iMac" name affixed to it.

Hopstretch
Aug 6, 2007, 07:30 PM
$1799 model

24 inch (no LED)
2.4ghz SR
500gb HD
2gb RAM
8600 256mb vid card
superdrive
If so, that's a sweet deal. The current iMac with those specs (except for the 2.33 CPU obviously) runs almost $1000 more at $2,748. I guess that's where the margin compression they were talking about on the last quarterly conference call is going to come from! :D

vandlism
Aug 6, 2007, 07:30 PM
I would be happy if they just made the iMac (and the mini), easier to service. I know that Apple is famous for cool industrial designs that are hard to open, but just for once wouldn't it be nice to be able to easily add memory to a mini or an iMac?

Though the mini looks a bit tricky, what could be easier than Apple's implementations of adding memory? The iMac has two screws on the bottom and a slot for the memory. The MacBook has three screws with access to both RAM slots and the hard drive. The Mac Pro, remove the side. Not uh...not sure what you want here. The only thing easier would probably be a slot load drive like the DVD. You add memory..once to a computer to max it out? Not really getting it.

mongoos150
Aug 6, 2007, 07:32 PM
If so, that's a sweet deal. The current iMac with those specs (except for the 2.33 CPU obviously) runs almost $1000 more at $2,748. I guess that's where the margin compression they were talking about on the last quarterly conference call is going to come from! :DYep, at that config it would easily be around $2700. And I doubt (but would love that) the new iMac is available, even as BTO, with the 8600.

WRXHokie
Aug 6, 2007, 07:33 PM
Come on new iMac's... daddy needs a new computer.

BenRoethig
Aug 6, 2007, 07:33 PM

$1199
20"
2.2GHZ
1GB (upto 4gb)
160GB
SuperDrive
X3100

$1499
20"
2.2GHZ (option to 2.4)
2GB
250GB
SuperDrive

$1799
24"
2.4GHZ
2GB
250GB
SuperDrive
8600gt - 256

Disappointing, but I agree.

mongoos150
Aug 6, 2007, 07:35 PM
Disappointing, but I agree.Definitely not disappointing! With those specs, the 24" would cost an extra $1K.

mac 2005
Aug 6, 2007, 07:39 PM
When these babies ship with Leopard, I'll be ponying up the cash to buy one. Forget Aug. 7; c'mon Oct. 31!

queshy
Aug 6, 2007, 07:44 PM
iPod update looks unlikely at this point...

DakotaGuy
Aug 6, 2007, 07:48 PM
I think Apple will simplify their desktop offering tomorrow and will offer a 20" and 24" iMac and an improved MacPro tower. Basically Apple is beginning to shift more into portable devices and the desktop computer is not a growing market. It is a stable and important market, but really 2 computer lines can cover the desktop market. MacPro is not a big seller, but Apple is still committed to the professional market and will continue to be. The iMac covers everything else.

Everyone on here keep talking about needing a middle tower model, however, I just don't think it would be a big seller out in the general market. It really does not go along with Apple's philosophy when it comes to consumer products. Displays are not that expensive anymore and many people upgrade their monitors anyhow when they get a new computer. Look at it this way...do you really want to hook a brand new computer up to a 5 year old or older monitor? They get better all the time.

Apple has had great success with all-in-one computers. They are the only company that can pull it off. Taking the monitor off of the iMac would be a HUGE mistake and offering another line of computers only confuses the market further.

Archmagination
Aug 6, 2007, 07:49 PM
Please Apple PLEASE upgrade the mini along with the new imacs!! I am making due with a G4 "Sawtooth" upgraded to 1GHz, 1gb RAM and a Radeon Pro 9800 128mb Card. I am too poor to buy an iMac and the current mini's specs are not good enough for me to spring for them.

Peace
Aug 6, 2007, 07:51 PM
iPod update looks unlikely at this point...

considering Apple PR told the press that there would be NO iPod or iPhone stuff and it was Mac ONLY I'd say you just might be right!..:rolleyes:

ethen
Aug 6, 2007, 07:52 PM
http://live.slashgear.com/

We are invited, so we will post it live on our livecast

ncbill
Aug 6, 2007, 07:53 PM
I predict the base model will have a combo drive, not a Superdrive.

And will still have integrated (but better) graphics.

$1199
20"
2.2GHZ
1GB (upto 4gb)
160GB
SuperDrive
X3100

$1499
20"
2.2GHZ (option to 2.4)
2GB
250GB
SuperDrive

$1799
24"
2.4GHZ
2GB
250GB
SuperDrive
8600gt - 256

mongoos150
Aug 6, 2007, 07:53 PM
"Slashgear" (?!) was invited but not MR?! I feel bad for Arn... :(

mongoos150
Aug 6, 2007, 07:54 PM

And will still have integrated (but better) graphics.No no no. A combo drive in ANY modern computer is simply insane. Integrated graphics would also be ridiculous.

ncbill
Aug 6, 2007, 07:57 PM
Both are Apple standard on the lowest-end model.

It certainly helps differentiate from the next step up.

EDIT: yep, I forgot education.

No no no. A combo drive in ANY modern computer is simply insane. Integrated graphics would also be ridiculous.

eenu
Aug 6, 2007, 07:58 PM

I very much doubt they were - their post regarding doesn't big up the fact they are there.....

Me thinks they are trying to big themselves up and are going to be posting comments from other sources who will be there.

EDIT: I'd never even heard of them until just now

DakotaGuy
No no no. A combo drive in ANY modern computer is simply insane. Integrated graphics would also be ridiculous.

Actually those two things would not be ridiculous for the education market.

ethen

now it hurts my feelings :( lol kidding, yeah our editor will be flying in tonight.

Nop, we are really invited, we'll take some pics when we got there. we honestly didnt expect to get invited though

we also covers keynotes earlier this year http://www.slashgear.com/wwdc-2007-keynote-transcript-115684.php

kitki83
Aug 6, 2007, 08:00 PM
I say we boycott this event because Arn was not invited =P

Anyway I hope they announce future products because I need to know how long I can hold on for a new ipod(full screen)

iAlan
Aug 6, 2007, 08:07 PM
It will be around 2.00 am Tokyo time so I will either stay up late or have to wait until Wednesday morning. Then again it is Tuesday so I see no reason why I can’t go for a few beers and then stumble home and see what Apple has bestowed upon us

Tough decision...

And I would like to mirror the sentiments of several other posters (not the wingey winey ones though), I really wish Apple would release a mini-tower somewhere between an iMac and the MacPro - I don’t know what to call the puppy but I am sure Apple marketing will come up with something cool. Although, if the new iMac's we all think are coming (and where are those elevator photos by the way) have a good set of specs then maybe I will switch back to an iMac (GF tower at the moment).

While I hate beating a dead horse (is this even legal in Japan?), I will say again what I have said before (I know, I can be sooo repetitive) - if Apple are pushing the 'HD' thing (ie: iMovie HD) then they better get their act together and support consumer hard disk video camera's - high def on video tape is just not right!

macbotics
Aug 6, 2007, 08:10 PM

if so i know mac im gonna get macbook pro 12" ;)

kbrain2929
Aug 6, 2007, 08:12 PM
Where would be the BEST place to watch live updates. I'm wishing for a "kicked-up" Mac Mini. :apple:

wilhoitm
Aug 6, 2007, 08:13 PM
http://base.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=hand-6072089994745782906&size=1

Just kidding, this is an old Mock Up! :)

kbrain2929
Aug 6, 2007, 08:14 PM
http://base.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=hand-6072089994745782906&size=1

Just kidding, this is an old Mock Up! :)

Heck... I'd but it! :D:apple:

ethen
Aug 6, 2007, 08:15 PM
oh boy, if that's what they will unveil, i will beg my wife to let me buy it!

Tattoo
Aug 6, 2007, 08:17 PM
Subject: Apple August 7 Event
Date: August 5, 2007 6:13:15 PM MST
To: tipline@gmail.com

Hello,

My name is XXXXX and I am a now-former employee of Apple Inc. I decided to retire on July 20, and I found it to be a rewarding career. Tip: If you get offered a job at Apple, take it ! :). I worked as a Systems Engineer at Apple (I would test the compatibilty of OS X with new proccessors and new hardware), and I have some information could interest you and your readers. First of all, I would like to say that the employment of me at Apple was quite unique. I was deemed Self-employed, so the NDA I signed was a revised version. There was a loophole in the NDA, and my lawyer has assured me that I can share the following information with you (sorry, I would have gotten the info to you right when I knew it, but I had to confirm that it was OK with my lawyer). Please be aware that I have limited information, and since I never worked at Apple marketing department, I have no clue about the prices of the units, the final names, or any other info than I am supplying you.

These are products being annouced at the Apple event on August 7:

-iMac 20 and 24 inches. Brushed Metal covers its entirety. The base on the bottom of the new iMac is different, however it is hard to explain and many readers would be perplexed if I tried to explain it. Both models come with a 2.4GHz Intel Penryn chip. (side note: The Penryns were a breeze to test with OS X, and that new keyboard is so damn light). The new iMacs are 0.25 inches thinner than the previous generation.
-Apple Display (don’t know what their final/exact name will be): 20, 24, and 32 inches. Same form factor, however there will be rounded corners and an iSight cam built in. (side note: My team had to test color profiling on these units).
-The Woodcrest chips in the Mac Pro are going to be replaced with Penryn chips. I believe the configurations before hand were 2.0, 2.66, and 3.0GHZ. That has also been changed to 2.4, 3.0, and 3.33GHZ. Quad-core and 8-core will still be available. I don’t even know if this will be considered a new “generation”.
-I have been told that the Mac Mini will vanish from Apple’s website, but Jobs isn’t suppose to say anything in the conference about it.

That’s it. Also, I hope you will not publish my name, I do not want my name plastered on the internet.

Thanks,

XX

juanm
Aug 6, 2007, 08:18 PM
All other ads are in Spanish, this one along is in English. Surely more than one member here is from a Spanish speaking country

Yes, I live in Spain, but maybe you should look closer to Rome about this one ;)

liberty4all
Aug 6, 2007, 08:19 PM
Apple needs a high-end MacBook Pro refresh to add the LED displays, and Blu-Ray drives would be a nice addition... Not to mention built-in EV-DO, HSDPA and Wi-Max... Flash-RAM MacBook Pros would be awesome too...(more likely to be the rumored sub-notebook based on that new slick Intel design)

Come on Apple, show you are a leader -- not a straggling turtle...

Anyone else find it interesting that an iPhone can be 8GB RAM and the top-end Macs go upto 16GB?!

ethen
Aug 6, 2007, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure if they are refreshing macbook pro since it was just refreshed recently, but again, apple tend to suprise people :p

ktlx
Aug 6, 2007, 08:26 PM
Stupidity aside the truth is that just like any other hardware manufacturer there are Gaps that Apple need to fill in, regardless of them making a profit or not.
I think "Stupidity aside" is an excellent way to start what has to be one of the dumbest things I've read in some time.

Apple is a publicly traded company in the business of making money for it's shareholders. Apple shouldn't care about ignoring the sub-$1000 market if they've determined going after that market can't contribute to their earnings. They just have to keep their market share high enough to attract developers to the platform and maintain their "image" in the market. Fortunately Microsoft, Dell and HP are more than willing to help Apple with the later. :D

Ignoring profit is about as dumb as most of the tech boom's business plans. Hey! The great news is we're only loosing 10 cents on each widget we shipped this quarter instead of 20 cents like last quarter! Even better is that our volume is up and we're shipping four times as many widgets as we did last quarter! All in all, a great quarter for us!

holland
Aug 6, 2007, 08:27 PM

Hello,

My name is XXXXX and I am a now-former employee of Apple Inc. I decided to retire on July 20, and I found it to be a rewarding career. Tip: If you get offered a job at Apple, take it ! :). I worked as a Systems Engineer at Apple (I would test the compatibilty of OS X with new proccessors and new hardware), and I have some information could interest you and your readers. First of all, I would like to say that the employment of me at Apple was quite unique. I was deemed Self-employed, so the NDA I signed was a revised version. There was a loophole in the NDA, and my lawyer has assured me that I can share the following information with you (sorry, I would have gotten the info to you right when I knew it, but I had to confirm that it was OK with my lawyer). Please be aware that I have limited information, and since I never worked at Apple marketing department, I have no clue about the prices of the units, the final names, or any other info than I am supplying you.

-iMac 20 and 24 inches. Brushed Metal covers its entirety. The base on the bottom of the new iMac is different, however it is hard to explain and many readers would be perplexed if I tried to explain it. Both models come with a 2.4GHz Intel Penryn chip. (side note: The Penryns were a breeze to test with OS X, and that new keyboard is so damn light). The new iMacs are 0.25 inches thinner than the previous generation.
-Apple Display (don’t know what their final/exact name will be): 20, 24, and 32 inches. Same form factor, however there will be rounded corners and an iSight cam built in. (side note: My team had to test color profiling on these units).
-The Woodcrest chips in the Mac Pro are going to be replaced with Penryn chips. I believe the configurations before hand were 2.0, 2.66, and 3.0GHZ. That has also been changed to 2.4, 3.0, and 3.33GHZ. Quad-core and 8-core will still be available. I don’t even know if this will be considered a new “generation”.
-I have been told that the Mac Mini will vanish from Apple’s website, but Jobs isn’t suppose to say anything in the conference about it.

That’s it. Also, I hope you will not publish my name, I do not want my name plastered on the internet.

Thanks,

XX

I hope that is true. Also did you read it all? Or do you not care that he doesn't want his name posted and both of your emails are on there so you may want to remove those so you guys don't get lots of spam ;) But thanks for posting the email because there is some good information :D

kbrain2929
Aug 6, 2007, 08:27 PM

Hello,

Thanks,

XX

Honestly... I'm not sure if this is real or fake. It seems real... but then again, it seems fake. IDK... I suppose we'll have to wait until tomorrow. Still wondering how to get the LIVE info... :rolleyes::apple:

ariel
Aug 6, 2007, 08:30 PM

Hello,

My name is XXXXX and I am a now-former employee of Apple Inc. I decided to retire on July 20, and I found it to be a rewarding career. Tip:

fake - if he 'retired' on July 20, why would it come from an apple.com email address?

ethen
Aug 6, 2007, 08:31 PM
Honestly... I'm not sure if this is real or fake. It seems real... but then again, it seems fake. IDK... I suppose we'll have to wait until tomorrow. Still wondering how to get the LIVE info... :rolleyes::apple:

I'm sure it's 100% fake, we tried to email him back but no response, email can be spoofed, we just posted that to show what kind of rumors tips we were getting :p

but yeah, less than 24 hours we will know what's coming up! i' might not be able to sleep tonight hahaha

kbrain2929
Aug 6, 2007, 08:33 PM
fake - if he 'retired' on July 20, why would it come from an apple.com email address?

True... and the date the e-mail was sent is just another reason it's fake... still pondering though! :apple:

I'm sure it's 100% fake, we tried to email him back but no response, email can be spoofed, we just posted that to show what kind of rumors tips we were getting :p

but yeah, less than 24 hours we will know what's coming up! i' might not be able to sleep tonight hahaha

Me either! I'm goin to be up ALL NIGHT!!! (Starbucks are 24 Hours in Louisville! They are about to get a friend for the night. lol)

crackintosh
Aug 6, 2007, 08:35 PM
That letter could be legit, it is the name of an apple employee.
Google Results (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&q=%22tim+perfitt%22+apple&btnG=Search)
However, that seems pretty bogus to release the guy's name. He could get in a ton of trouble.

Its also possible that someone just took the name of an apple employee, slapped it on a fake email and claimed it was legit.

Don Bagles
Aug 6, 2007, 08:35 PM

Hello,

Thanks,

XX

Well that's about the worst news I could get. I was hoping to sell my system before they update it. If they come out with new displays, my 23" ACD will drop in worth dramatically. Also, my Quad 3.0Ghz woodcrest will be worth less than what people will probably get standard on the new machines...

I guess I better start saving fast....

Bataille
Aug 6, 2007, 08:37 PM
Hello!

I've been waiting for the new iMac for a long time now.

Do you know when I can expect the new iMac to be available in stores if it's announced tomorrow? I live in Montreal.

Thank you.

ktlx
Aug 6, 2007, 08:38 PM
Since this one doesn't even pass the laugh test, I would be skeptical about the whole thing. If any "predictions" turn out correct, I expect it will be simply by coincidence.

suneohair
Aug 6, 2007, 08:41 PM
Well that's about the worst news I could get. I was hoping to sell my system before they update it. If they come out with new displays, my 23" ACD will drop in worth dramatically. Also, my Quad 3.0Ghz woodcrest will be worth less than what people will probably get standard on the new machines...

I guess I better start saving fast....

It is already worth less, considering you can get 2.66Ghz Clovertowns for the same price as the 2.66Ghz Woodcrests.

The Penryn rumor is wrong in that the speeds for the Harpertowns are off. Could Apple get them early? Maybe. I hope so too! :D

The Mac Pro is overdue for an update. The GPU, RAM and HD are not current. And no, the eight-core option was not an update. Also, Quad core Xeons took a cut in price a week ago, down to dual-core levels. Mac Pro needs an update :apple:

kwikdeth
Aug 6, 2007, 08:47 PM
i think the 17" will be eliminated in favor of a $999 mini that sports a MXM-based graphics connector like the 24" iMac.... i think the MXM will be adopted across the entire iMac line.

so here's my speculation:

imac w new aluminum case design
1799 - 24" C2D iMac, 2.4ghz, 256mb 8600 mobile graphics
1499 - 20" C2D iMac, 2.4ghz, 256mb 8600 mobile graphics
1199 - 20" C2D iMac, 2.2ghz, 128mb 8600 mobile graphics
mac minis
999 - mac mini C2D, 2.16ghz, 7300 mobile graphics - CTO upgradable to ?
799 - mac mini C2D, 2.0ghz, gma950 graphics
599 - mac mini C2D, 1.83ghz, gma950 graphics

new 6G ipods
120gb - 60gb full-size 6G
30gb discontinued
new ipod nanos, new form factor
8gb, 16gb, 32gb
shuffle upgraded to 2gb

and "one more thing"
12" macbook pro - 2.4ghz, flash memory, ultra-thin

ventro
Aug 6, 2007, 08:50 PM
that email is totally fake.

Hopstretch
Aug 6, 2007, 08:51 PM
Since this one doesn't even pass the laugh test, I would be skeptical about the whole thing.
The email comes from Slashgear, who note there's "no doubt" the Apple address is spoofed but happily reproduce it anyway. No such thing as bad clicks, I guess.

holland
Aug 6, 2007, 08:52 PM
that email is totally fake.

And how is it totally fake?

c.joe.go
Aug 6, 2007, 08:53 PM
search his email address. two tims come up.

a guy at somerset (retail location) and senior systems engineer.

noticed another email under his name too.

Don Bagles
Aug 6, 2007, 08:54 PM
It is already worth less, considering you can get 2.66Ghz Clovertowns for the same price as the 2.66Ghz Woodcrests.

The Penryn rumor is wrong in that the speeds for the Harpertowns are off. Could Apple get them early? Maybe. I hope so too! :D

The Mac Pro is overdue for an update. The GPU, RAM and HD are not current. And no, the eight-core option was not an update. Also, Quad core Xeons took a cut in price a week ago, down to dual-core levels. Mac Pro needs an update :apple:

Apple is still selling everything for the same price that I bought it at though. So for people who don't want to buy CPU's from third party vendors and install them themselves, my CPU's are still worth what they were.

ktlx
Aug 6, 2007, 08:55 PM
The GPU, RAM and HD are not current.
You have a point with the GPU, but the FB-DIMMs are current for the platform and 750GB is all the bigger you can get from Seagate and Western Digital yet. I think the reason Apple hasn't bumped the graphics card is the nVidia 8800 and AMD 2900 series aren't better enough than the AMD 1900 for anything but top end gaming to justify their extra cost, heat and power requirements.

kbrain2929
Aug 6, 2007, 08:56 PM

Also, as stated before, if he retired in July, he would no longer have an "apple.com" address. The date on the e-mail was the 5th. There is no way this can be real.:apple:

nylock10
Aug 6, 2007, 08:59 PM
Damn, if only the 8800GTX didn't get so hot and it wasn't so fat...

Why isn't anyone talking about the Radeon 2900? Apple could possibly fit one of those inside the iMacs (it'd be hard though).

suneohair
Aug 6, 2007, 09:00 PM
You have a point with the GPU, but the FB-DIMMs are current for the platform and 750GB is all the bigger you can get from Seagate and Western Digital yet. I think the reason Apple hasn't bumped the graphics card is the nVidia 8800 and AMD 2900 series aren't better enough than the AMD 1900 for anything but top end gaming to justify their extra cost, heat and power requirements.

Yes FB-DIMMs, and FB-DIMMs are now dirt cheap (for FB-DIMMs) 2GB standard is the minimum that is acceptable at this point.

Yes 750GB is the biggest, I am talking about STANDARD. Not what I can upgrade to for their rip you off prices. 250GB is weak, and 320-500GB should be placed in its stead.

The X1900XT is a hot beast just like the new ones. And if you think they aren't better I suggest you look at some benchmarks. And guess what, the X1900XT is a rip off, considering Apple is charging basically the same price they did at launch. Hence me commenting.

Also, like i mentioned the quad-cores are the same price as the dual-core are. There is no excuse not to use them or drop the price of the Mac Pro.

macrev
Aug 6, 2007, 09:02 PM

How is it elevated if you can get a 24" for $200 less....

suneohair
Aug 6, 2007, 09:03 PM
Apple is still selling everything for the same price that I bought it at though. So for people who don't want to buy CPU's from third party vendors and install them themselves, my CPU's are still worth what they were.

What? Yes Apple is selling it at the same price. And it is a rip off now. It isn't about installing 3rd party. I am merely pointing out that quad-cores are the same price as the dual-cores.

Anyhow, I will leave this discussion about the iMac. If you are interested in the Mac Pro, there are tons of threads about it so you can educate yourself.

drake
Aug 6, 2007, 09:05 PM
I'll bet on updates to the macbook as well.

ariel
Aug 6, 2007, 09:06 PM
How is it elevated if you can get a 24" for $200 less....

me thinks he was referring to the bottom price point being gone - the $999 one.

meagain
Aug 6, 2007, 09:08 PM
Do we know if this will be broadcast live or at least delayed video? Audio?

kbrain2929
Aug 6, 2007, 09:11 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. :apple:

ethen
Aug 6, 2007, 09:15 PM

My partner said he will try to blog it live with his iphone or laptop, live pictures wise i'm not sure since i was not able to make it there to help him (he wont be able to type and take pictures and upload at the same time)

kungming2
Aug 6, 2007, 09:16 PM

Arn posted here (http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/06/rumor-mill-details-on-the-august-7-imac-announcements/link (http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/06/rumor-mill-details-on-the-august-7-imac-announcements/)) that "Many sites received this same submission. It's a fake." Scroll down to the comments and see post #12.

notjustjay
Aug 6, 2007, 09:17 PM
When these babies ship with Leopard, I'll be ponying up the cash to buy one. Forget Aug. 7; c'mon Oct. 31!

+1

Me too...

mongoos150
Aug 6, 2007, 09:18 PM
Nah, paying the $129 premium to have it 3 months early is worth it. Yes, 3 months. People have been saying for the past several months that Leopard won't debut until Oct 31 / early November.

!¡ V ¡!
Aug 6, 2007, 09:19 PM
+1

Me too...

Unless this Aug 7 update will have a free upgrade option for 10.5. :)

thomasfxlt
Aug 6, 2007, 09:19 PM
Hallo,

My name are Robirt Firstoffamavichcovsky and I am work for Apple.

Tomorrow big day. Pleaz let splain to you.

Number won....new eyemac.

number too.... giant ieypod

and finally.....dotmac merge with Google cloud.

thankyoo.

(enough already)

roland.g
Aug 6, 2007, 09:24 PM
i think the 17" will be eliminated in favor of a $999 mini that sports a MXM-based graphics connector like the 24" iMac.... i think the MXM will be adopted across the entire iMac line.

so here's my speculation:

imac w new aluminum case design
1799 - 24" C2D iMac, 2.4ghz, 256mb 8600 mobile graphics
1499 - 20" C2D iMac, 2.4ghz, 256mb 8600 mobile graphics
1199 - 20" C2D iMac, 2.2ghz, 128mb 8600 mobile graphics
mac minis
999 - mac mini C2D, 2.16ghz, 7300 mobile graphics - CTO upgradable to ?
799 - mac mini C2D, 2.0ghz, gma950 graphics
599 - mac mini C2D, 1.83ghz, gma950 graphics

new 6G ipods
120gb - 60gb full-size 6G
30gb discontinued
new ipod nanos, new form factor
8gb, 16gb, 32gb
shuffle upgraded to 2gb

and "one more thing"
12" macbook pro - 2.4ghz, flash memory, ultra-thin

that's pretty funny. i suppose they're giving away a free toaster with every mac.

mongoos150
Aug 6, 2007, 09:28 PM
Hallo,

My name are Robirt Firstoffamavichcovsky and I am work for Apple.

Tomorrow big day. Pleaz let splain to you.

Number won....new eyemac.

number too.... giant ieypod

and finally.....dotmac merge with Google cloud.

thankyoo.

(enough already)*shudder*... Please_never_again.

BostonMJH
Aug 6, 2007, 09:28 PM

Same price point for the 20" at 1199 is ok with me, since I will be ordering the ultra, which is down to 1799. ;)

nakile
Aug 6, 2007, 09:30 PM
I got a strange idea and it seems just like something Apple might do (maybe not).

Maybe they will pack a rechargeable wireless keyboard and mighty mouse standard with the iMac, but with something different. The bottoms of the keyboard and mouse will have little magnets flush with the bottom that act as charging contacts.

The iMac base will have similar magnets on that match those on the keyboard and mouse. Like on the keyboard and mouse, the contacts will be designed to look like part of the unit.

Need to charge? Set the keyboard and mouse on their respective connectors. They magnetically connect and the process starts. A little white indicator light turns on to tell you the charging status of both. If it's night, the ambient light sensor shuts the light off.

So now the main problem with wireless keyboards is now gone. And you don't have any charging station wasting space on your desk or have to mess with extra wires. Charge it right on the iMac.

mashinhead
Aug 6, 2007, 09:31 PM

And will still have integrated (but better) graphics.

Oh yeah well i predict that the 'Ultra' model will have a SuperDuperDrive and will be coined the 'Duper' model. And it will be patented and subsequently copied by Japanese companies with names you can't pronounce.

How do you like them iMacs?

Nepenthe
Aug 6, 2007, 09:48 PM
If you look at the original picture, you'll see it's from MacRumors. Certainly looks that way. All other ads are in Spanish, this one along is in English. Surely more than one member here is from a Spanish speaking country and we would have widespread posting here.[...]

That's Italian, brah. Not Spanish.

Palestrina
Aug 6, 2007, 09:49 PM
Super..Ultra...Mega? I was hoping to buy a computer, not a tampon.

miloblithe
Aug 6, 2007, 09:55 PM
I got a strange idea and it seems just like something Apple might do (maybe not).

Maybe they will make a rechargeable wireless keyboard and mighty mouse standard with the iMac, but with something different. The bottoms of the keyboard and mouse will have little magnets flush with the bottom that act as charging contacts.

The iMac base will have similar magnets on that match those on the keyboard and mouse. Like on the keyboard and mouse, the contacts will be designed to look like part of the unit.

Need to charge? Set the keyboard and mouse on their respective connectors. They magnetically connect and the process starts. A little white indicator light turns on to tell you the charging status of both. If it's night, the ambient light sensor shuts the light off.

So now the main problem with wireless keyboards is now gone. And you don't have any charging station wasting space on your desk or have to mess with extra wires. Charge it right on the iMac.

If that doesn't come out tomorrow, patent it.

Nick12945
Aug 6, 2007, 10:02 PM
that's pretty funny. i suppose they're giving away a free toaster with every mac.

OOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED A TOASTER!

Royale w/cheese
Aug 6, 2007, 10:07 PM
Super..Ultra...Mega? I was hoping to buy a computer, not a tampon.That would be the iPax.

CBAviator
Aug 6, 2007, 10:08 PM
I know that a lot of people have been wondering when the new iMacs may be available. It seems that Apple Insider is indicating they will be available immediately.

Hairball
Aug 6, 2007, 10:10 PM
I can't wait to see what we are in store for. It's pretty crappy that MacRumors wasn't invited. :(

verniesgarden
Aug 6, 2007, 10:18 PM
well i'm expecting:

imac 17" 20" 24"
imac pro 20" 24" 30"
mac pro go all 8core with 2gigs ram with 500gig hd standard
mini to be geared towards a gaming system
mactablet
iLife & iWork released

oh, and one more thing...

google.mac is free to everyone

mailhojo
Aug 6, 2007, 10:20 PM
Everyone is talking about what is going to come out tomorrow, but no one is bringing up the fact that there might be a name change. All other Apple computers have changed. I think the new iMac will be called simply Mac. It falls in-line with the MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, & Mac Mini. What do you think?

Royale w/cheese
Aug 6, 2007, 10:21 PM
...google.mac is free to everyone

Now I would buy that. :D

kbrain2929
Aug 6, 2007, 10:23 PM
Everyone is talking about what is going to come out tomorrow, but no one is bringing up the fact that there might be a name change. All other Apple computers have changed. I think the new iMac will be called simply Mac. It falls in-line with the MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, & Mac Mini. What do you think?

I think you could be on to something. Just maybe... [pondering] :apple:

Aperture
Aug 6, 2007, 10:24 PM

Yeah but then people would be like:

"I got a new Mac"
"Yeah? Which one"
"A Mac"
"I know; but which Mac?"

...and so on

I expect no change in name.

ImAlwaysRight
Aug 6, 2007, 10:25 PM
Me either! I'm goin to be up ALL NIGHT!!! (Starbucks are 24 Hours in Louisville! They are about to get a friend for the night. lol)

Huh? Why u staying up all night? So you can fall asleep 30 minutes before the event and miss the whole thing and then be late to place your order? Seriously. The event is not at 6AM EST but is 1PM EST. No need to stay up all night. Heck, it is 12noon lunch hour for me so I am going to have a nice long lunch hour tomorrow. :D

Aperture
Aug 6, 2007, 10:25 PM
well i'm expecting:

imac 17" 20" 24"
imac pro 20" 24" 30"
mac pro go all 8core with 2gigs ram with 500gig hd standard
mini to be geared towards a gaming system
mactablet
iLife & iWork released

oh, and one more thing...

google.mac is free to everyone

I think you're going a little overboard. I do feel the iMac & Mini will see an overhaul, though. I don't know if it will happen but a free Google & .Mac package would be awesome.

Royale w/cheese
Aug 6, 2007, 10:27 PM

I would not be surprised by a change in name, but not to just "Mac". Apple prides itself on its line simplicity and that would be confusing. Too vague.

4God
Aug 6, 2007, 10:32 PM
Well since they just recently introduced the iPhone I doubt that they would take away iMac.

AidenShaw
Aug 6, 2007, 10:33 PM
Copied from another thread - just a data point to show how out of whack Apple prices are for the low end systems....

HP minitower - $1050 for 3 GiB RAM (up to 8GiB), 2.4 GHz quad core, 1066 MHz bus, 400GB, 16x DL lightscribe superdrive, 7.1 audio with digital audio in/out, 19" LCD, integrated graphics with open x16 PCIe slot for upgrade, two open x1 PCIe slots, open 3.5" disk bay, open 5.25" DVD/disk bay, 2yr warranty, 16.3x6.9x15.2 inches (1709 in³) ...

iMac - $1500 for 1 GiB RAM (up to 3GiB), 2.16 GHz dual core, 667 MHz bus, 250 GB, 8x DL superdrive, 20" LCD, ATI X1600 (not upgradeable), no expansion, 1yr warranty ($2299 with dual core 2.33 and 3 GiB)

MacPro - $2200 for 1 GiB RAM (up to 16Gib), 2.0 GHz quad core (dual dual), 1333 MHz bus, 250 GB, 16x DL superdrive, digital audio in/out, no LCD, 7300 GT 256 MiB, 3 open PCIe slots, 3 open 3.5" bays, 1 open 5.25" bay, 1 yr warranty, 20.1x8.1x18.7 inches (3045 in³), 42 lbs ($2999 with quad (dual-dual) 2.66 GHz and 3 GiB)

The second price on the Macs is when you add BTO options to come close to the CPU speed and memory of the $929^H^H^H^H $879 HP.

If Apple doesn't come out with a reasonable Mini-Tower tomorrow, I'm changing my .sig. Actually, if Apple does come out with a Mini-tower tomorrow I'll need to change my sig as well.

(full specs for HP A6152N) (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01083552&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3445434&lang=en) (link to full ad) (http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?adid=4857166&advid=32664&type=)

Royale w/cheese
Aug 6, 2007, 10:33 PM

"I got a new Mac"
"Yeah? Which one"
"A Mac"
"I know; but which Mac?"

...and so on

Hey is that a repost? Just a little tamer?;)

mashinhead
Aug 6, 2007, 10:36 PM
Well since they just recently introduced the iPhone I doubt that they would take away iMac.

yeah and an ipod, and an iSight and iLife and iWork. then you would have to remove the i from them all. Then what would you have? Work, Life and Sight, and you already have those now don't you?

gkarris
Aug 6, 2007, 10:37 PM

Sorry, boys and girls, I called this one a long time ago - Apple IS getting snobbish:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=311454

jasko
Aug 6, 2007, 10:41 PM
That would be cool.

queshy
Ok, realistically, this is what I expect:

Steve will spend a LOT of time talking about dot mac. It has been really neglected and I anticipate the service being completely revamped.

Then he will show the brand new iMacs, 20" and 24" models. It will look completely different but won't have any "groundbreaking" features like multitouch. The design will be revamped and the specs will be upped.

He will then announce that the mac mini will now have core 2 duos with a few other speed bumps here and there (ram, hard drive, etc). The look will remain the same.

Then, finally, he will give a firm leopard release date (i.e. October 31st, at midnight or something).

Just my $0.02

mongoos150
Sorry, boys and girls, I called this one a long time ago - Apple IS getting snobbish:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=311454If snobbish means paying extra for a machine that looks and performs much more elegantly than any PC box, and is supported by walk-up Genius bars in beautiful stores filled with (mostly) useful employees - then I'm most definitely in agreement.

It will look completely different but won't have any "groundbreaking" features like multitouch. I sure as hell hope there isn't multitouch on a desktop PC. What a ******** stupid idea... Ugh.

urbanskywalker
Aug 6, 2007, 10:48 PM
I just hope the entry level machine does not have a combo drive or integrated graphics at $1199, to try and up-sell me to the next machine. That would p--ss
me of.

corywoolf
Aug 6, 2007, 10:50 PM

I think they will just rename the mac mini something else and make it a little bigger in size with a little more expandability.

New Mac Mini's:

- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz and 2.16 ghz
- 4x DL Superdrive now standard
- Option to have two tray loading 2.5" hard drives (one for time machine)
- 80 GB and 160 GB hard drives
- 1 GB and 2 GB RAM
- Up to 3 GB RAM
- 6 USB 2.0 (two on new keyboard that's bundled)
- FW 400
- New Apple Keyboard included with both.
- $499 and $699

verniesgarden
Aug 6, 2007, 10:53 PM
I think you're going a little overboard. I do feel the iMac & Mini will see an overhaul, though. I don't know if it will happen but a free Google & .Mac package would be awesome.

yea I'm being optimistic.

but i don't think anyone of those is out of the question

Nick12945
Aug 6, 2007, 10:58 PM
yea I'm being optimistic.

but i don't think anyone of those is out of the question

We can always hope...

progx
Aug 6, 2007, 10:59 PM
Wasn't the 17 inch going to be eliminated?

I remember hearing that a while ago.

matticus008
Aug 6, 2007, 11:01 PM
All other Apple computers have changed. I think the new iMac will be called simply Mac. It falls in-line with the MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, & Mac Mini. What do you think?
I would be immensely surprised. "iMac" is one of Apple's 3 most valuable marks and it wouldn't make sense to abandon it. PowerMac/PowerBook did not have the same mindshare--that's why they wanted to get the more powerful and valuable 'Mac' name into those products--the iMac already has that and outside of the iPod is Apple's most recognized product (the iPhone joined that club this year). There's a lot invested in the synergy between the iPod and the iMac, which has increasingly become the "home base" for all sorts of peripheral products (iPods, AppleTV, AirportExpress) that neither the portables nor the Mac Pro has been as deliberately positioned to fill.

The portables largely sell themselves (they're often much higher ranked in their particular markets than Apple overall) and the Mac Pro isn't really supposed to take center stage. They want the iMac out in front, and it only makes sense to tie it in with the iPod.

tirerim
Aug 6, 2007, 11:01 PM
Wow, $300 price difference between all 3 models ... top one called Ultra ... must mean 20", 24", and 24" with better specs. Or else 20", 20" better specs, and 24" with same specs as 20" better.

20", 24", and 24" with a larger hard drive and a black case.

BKKbill
Aug 6, 2007, 11:03 PM

I'm thinking the same thing but starting to weaken. Do you think apple will give a discount for Leopard since the release date has been announced?

Nick12945
Aug 6, 2007, 11:03 PM
20", 24", and 24" with a larger hard drive and a black case.

lol...mmm hmmm

queshy
Aug 6, 2007, 11:04 PM
If snobbish means paying extra for a machine that looks and performs much more elegantly than any PC box, and is supported by walk-up Genius bars in beautiful stores filled with (mostly) useful employees - then I'm most definitely in agreement.

I sure as hell hope there isn't multitouch on a desktop PC. What a ******** stupid idea... Ugh.

i never said that would be a great idea...but a lot of people on the boards are saying that a multi touch mac is coming...a feature as revolutionary as multitouch is not ready yet and will not make an appearance tomorrow.

morphineseason
Aug 6, 2007, 11:10 PM
I'll have to see the final specs to judge the price point. $1199 for a 20" (I assume) isn't really that bad. Considering most new higher end PC's are over $1,000 (see: Sony PCs) and that's not including a monitor (and if it is, you get some crap CRT usually...or a low resolution LCD if you're lucky). Not to mention you get the mac treatment (iLife, OS X, apple keyboard/mighty mouse, apple remote). Hopefully they have at least a gig of RAM standard. 512 doesn't really cut it anymore.

I do agree though that Apple really needs to maintain the "mini" market with a $600-700 machine, especially if they're dropping the $999 price point for iMacs, if they want to see their marketshare in the computer business grow. I know I know...iPod and iPhone are attracting people to their computers, but that only goes so far.

Multimedia
Aug 6, 2007, 11:13 PM
Then, finally, he will give a firm leopard release date (i.e. October 31st, at midnight or something).I think the Leopard release date won't be announced before the Tuesday September 25 Paris Apple Expo Keynote. The time-date will probably be 6PM Friday October 26 not Halloween. New systems are always released on a Friday evening.

queshy
Aug 6, 2007, 11:16 PM
I think the release date won't be announced before the Tuesday September 25 Paris Apple Expo Keynote. The date will be 6PM Friday October 26 not Halloween. New systems are always released on a Friday evening.

right, I forgot about halloween :)

looks like my predictions were half-baked...haha

swingerofbirch
Aug 6, 2007, 11:18 PM
I'm excited.

I'm not expecting multi-touch though. Multi-touch makes sense for something you hold.

While people envision something like Minority Report, where you manipulate data in the air, the black fact is that people are apparently getting injured from using a KEYBOARD, eg, carpal tunnel syndrome. If you had people holding their arms in front of them working at a computer not resting on something, God knows what sort of syndromes they might develop. And I mean, seriously, it wouldn't be that comfortable.

With all the talk of the iMac being like the iPhone I had this funny thought of Apple introducing an iMac that can only run Web 2.0 apps, and asking developers who have gone through Classic--> Carbon/Cocoa--> Intel, to make another transition, "Adobe we're looking in your corner...."

Virgil-TB2
Aug 6, 2007, 11:21 PM

Ten years ago Apple was able to sell what was then a high end Power Mac inside a tower case for $1,500.I have heard this for years, but it still makes little sense to me that Apple would make a mini-tower.
This price/performance slot is filled by the iMac right now.

IMO, it's similar to the idea that because the iMac is made with laptop spec parts it's somehow inferior when in fact the opposite is true. The difference between "laptop parts" and "regular parts" is that the laptop parts consume less power are more efficient, lighter weight, and better quality most of the time. They are also often somewhat cheaper.

If Apple made a mini-tower with basic desktop specs, it would compete with the low-end to medium iMacs, yet be more expensive and have not as good quality parts. If they made a good mini-tower it would compete with the high end iMac and the Mac Pro. None of this makes much sense to me.

The only possibility I can see is a low-end mini tower to replace the Mini itself; a sort of ultra-low-budget Mac. But then why would they do that? And on top of everything, this assumes that Apple is ready and willing to write drivers for every low-budget crap video card on the market.

The reason that they don't make a mini-tower is because no one in their market really wants one. They might like a slightly cheaper Mac Pro, but no one really wants a budget crap mini-tower that they can switch the parts around on like with Windows. Unless you are a teenager or a geek, you don't generally upgrade a Mac. I have worked in an all Mac environment for many years now and 95% or more of all the upgrade requests I have seen are for a simple memory upgrade.

Most of our staff just use the computer we plunk down in front of them for three years or so and then get a new one.

It's the "Apple way." :)

BKKbill

What kind of toaster?

kcmac

"I got a new Mac"
"Yeah? Which one"
"A Mac"
"I know; but which Mac?"

...and so on

Funny stuff. Yeah, iMac is too much of a brand at this point. Got Apple back on track. The only thing that will change is everything else about it. I can't wait. :D

No, Steve Jobs explained this during the transition to Intel. They simply wanted "Mac" part of the name for all their computers and wanted "Power" removed since they were moving away from the PowerPC processor. Yes, technically PowerBooks were around long before that but that was the image they felt people had in their minds. The iMac already has "Mac" in it.

God^Cent
Aug 6, 2007, 11:35 PM
Would eliminating the 17" imac and having two different models of the 20", or 24" screen make production costs go down b/c they would in doing so eliminate an entire factory that would be manufacturing the 17" screen and body?

BKKbill
Aug 6, 2007, 11:37 PM
I sure as hell hope there isn't multitouch on a desktop PC. What a ******** stupid idea... Ugh.

I think you should go to the apple store and get the U on your key board repaired. :rolleyes: