PDA

View Full Version : iLife '08 Introduced

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Aug 7, 2007, 12:47 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Today Apple introduced iLife '08.

iPhoto
-Events is a new way to automatically organize ever-expanding iPhoto libraries into events.
-Automatically hide/show photos based on star rating
-New Books and Calendars
-.Mac Web Gallery: Enhanced, web 2.0 photo galleries compatible with any browser. "Contribute from anywhere"... Allows you (or anyone) to add to web gallery from the internet or from the iPhone.

Updating as more information becomes available...

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/07/ilife-08-introduced/)

koops
Aug 7, 2007, 12:53 PM
For those of us that have just purchased new MBPs, is it just hard luck? will we get a discount or free upgrade to ilife 08'?

I don't know why aple didnot delay the MBPs to coincide with the new iLife suite? apart from making more money this way of course!

Edmar
Aug 7, 2007, 12:56 PM
I always thought that the iMac was the best looking desktop outthere but Apple managed to make even better looking. A lot of you complain about the chin but I've always liked it, I dare anyone to find a better looking desktop outthere. Price is not too bad but I wish it had 2GB RAM standard.

Rocketman
Aug 7, 2007, 12:56 PM
I really like the ability to email photos to a pooled iPhoto set.

I like the promise of getting my many video clips under control. You know what feature I would like to see across the board is captioning for photos and videos so notes can be attached to specific images and clips. Is that a feature already?

Rocketman

bigandy
Aug 7, 2007, 12:57 PM
For those of us that have just purchased new MBPs, is it just hard luck? will we get a discount or free upgrade to ilife 08'?

I don't know why aple didnot delay the MBPs to coincide with the new iLife suite? apart from making more money this way of course!

you only get upgrades to new software if you purchased it after the announcement and before they shipped.

so, no, you won't.

how long is this announcement? 1:30? 2hrs?

CANEHDN
Aug 7, 2007, 01:00 PM
Not enough info yet to determine if it's worth it. It's 2 hrs. So we still have another hour, I think.

NtotheIzoo
Aug 7, 2007, 01:03 PM
you only get upgrades to new software if you purchased it after the announcement and before they shipped.

I'd assume this would include me seeing as I purchased mine yesterday and it doesnt ship till at the earliest the 14th...right???

bigandy
Aug 7, 2007, 01:04 PM
I'd assume this would include me seeing as I purchased mine yesterday and it doesnt ship till at the earliest the 14th...right???

you won't get it because you purchased it yesterday. unless you cancel the order and reorder it tomorrow or something.

janitorC7
Aug 7, 2007, 01:04 PM
new dotmac page up...

mainstreetmark
Aug 7, 2007, 01:05 PM
10 GB of storage now. That'll shut everybody up for three to five years. :)

mrmjd
Aug 7, 2007, 01:06 PM
Okay, I have a question. I have a Hard Drive video camera that spits out video in .MOD format, which requires an annoying converting process for iMovie to read it. If iMovie can now take video from any source, I assume this means iMavies inability to read .MOD is no more, right?

odedia
Aug 7, 2007, 01:07 PM
WOOHOO! AVCHD SUPPORT ON THE MAC AT LAST! I'm getting myself a new camcorder next month in the states :D.

Dagless
Aug 7, 2007, 01:08 PM
What? So that's new iMacs, updated .Mac service, new keyboard, iLife 08 out today... and we're only half way through :eek:

new iPods confirmed. unless they flip the event around and stick all the graphs and showings off till the end instead....

janitorC7
is this the new app?

just got off of apples website on the dotmac page..

BlancheDubois
My Macbook is on its way here, I was told Apple has a two week window for people who order around an update. Call Apple and explain your situation, I'm sure they will send you a copy.

corywoolf

More like 5 days.

nagromme
you won't get it because you purchased it yesterday. unless you cancel the order and reorder it tomorrow or something.

Are you sure there's no grace period? Just making sure.

I think, for instance, that in the past, buyers of OS X can get the next version for free if they bought it for a certain length of time (20 days?) PRIOR to the new version shipping.

I may be remembering wrong--and this is a different situation I realize.

SilentPanda
Aug 7, 2007, 01:10 PM

From what I read on Engadget it sounded like everybody has 1 GB of storage and they are offering 10 GB... I wasn't clear if it was "offering for x amount more a year" or if it was the default. Not saying yer wrong of course but that's all I've seen on it.

Artful Dodger
Aug 7, 2007, 01:12 PM
I really want to know more about iWeb and just how far it can be pushed without hacking the hell out of it :cool: Just by what I've read those this should be nice to have but guess I'll wait till the store is back up :D

other
Aug 7, 2007, 01:13 PM
I think this is funny (from Engadget):

"Next up: iMovie. This is really interesting. Let me tell you the story. One of our video engineers went to the Cayman Islands, shot a lot of underwater HD, wanted to make a video for his buddies in half an hour. We found out couldn't do it. Engineer got out Final Cut Pro. Couldn't do it. Couldn't do great movie in 30 minutes. So he created an app that could do it. We were so blown away that we decided to use it. We're still calling it iMovie, but we're giving a new icon so we can show it's a whole new app. One library for all your video."

So one guy obsoleted their iMovie application, that they've been working on quite a lot?

achbed
Just noticed on the new .Mac welcome page..

Next, update your version of iPhoto '08 to 7.0.1 by choosing Software Update from the Apple menu...

??? That was fast...

atomwork
you can see some images already here:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/07/live-from-apples-summer-mac-product-press-conference/

Caster
Aug 7, 2007, 01:14 PM
Thank G-d I waited to purchase my MBP. Just wondering, if I go to the store today would to purchase one would it come preloaded with iLife '08? or would I have to order it from the website to receive iLife '08? Thanks :D

Palliser
Aug 7, 2007, 01:15 PM

I'm going to second this question as I'm new to Mac and placed my order Saturday. It has yet to ship. I just called Apple and the rep told me that they don't have any info on newly released items. He was surprised that anything was being released today and asked me "where did you hear about these new products?". So much for internal memos.

So if my product has not shipped yet should I cancel and re-order this afternoon?

BenHoleton
My business bought 3 new macs July 14. I wonder if/hope that I get a free copy. They can just give me a family pack

corywoolf
This was a real yawner. iMovie is looking much better. Nothing really surprising here. We all knew there'd be some YouTube/ Google tie-ins. The iMac wasn't as stunning as I thought it'd be. It looked pretty fake if you ask me, like a bad mock up. I like the black and aluminum, also the narrower edges. But it didn't lose the chin. I sort of understand why, because of the whole optical illusion of people seeing a centered object looking pulled down. Nothing groundbreaking here, the .Mac update was a joke. Come on Apple, how could it take you this long to realize people wanted black and aluminum? Now the white MacBook is lonely.

NtotheIzoo
Aug 7, 2007, 01:17 PM

Not true...I just called and the store rep confirmed I will be receiving the new iLife 08...now, if she really knows what she was talking about is another thing. I'll just wait till I receive my lappy and confirm...if it doesn't come, I call back and complain...hopefully, she's right or my complaining will get me a free copy. :D

iJawn108
Aug 7, 2007, 01:20 PM
Ohhh neato I can't wait to see ;D

damnyooneek
Aug 7, 2007, 01:21 PM
i just called the apple store and they said that if the macbook i bought 2 days ago is opened i can't get anything but if it was still stealed i can exchange it. also they said that that current macs in their store isnt loaded with with ilife 08 yet.

sakca015
Aug 7, 2007, 01:22 PM
my MBP arrived today. i guess that means i'm SOL for iLife '08?

hauntedcity
Aug 7, 2007, 01:24 PM

...and mine just arrived yesterday. Sigh. :)

NtotheIzoo
Aug 7, 2007, 01:26 PM

That's a little bitter-sweet....way more sweet than bitter...but a tad bit bitter none-the-less.

aswitcher
Aug 7, 2007, 01:30 PM
Would have liked to have seen an iLife08/iWork Family Bundle

ThePrimeDreamer
Aug 7, 2007, 01:31 PM
They said that both iLife and iWork will be available at the Apple Store today, does that also mean the same thing for the retail stores? If so, I hope they have the software installed on the floor machines so we can play with it. Anyone know?

BenRoethig
Aug 7, 2007, 01:32 PM
I'm hoping there is finally finder integration and a pixel resize option in iPhoto. I'm also slightly concerned by Job's comment that "some people want to burn DVDs." I'm afraid his perception of reality will put Apple in a position that is ahead of where the market actually is.

iJawn108
Aug 7, 2007, 01:36 PM
new frontrow updates :O

Random Ping
Aug 7, 2007, 01:40 PM
I really want to know more about iWeb and just how far it can be pushed without hacking the hell out of it :cool: Just by what I've read those this should be nice to have but guess I'll wait till the store is back up :D

Details and videos for the various iLife applications:
http://www.apple.com/ilife/

Analog Kid
Aug 7, 2007, 01:42 PM

"Next up: iMovie. This is really interesting. Let me tell you the story. One of our video engineers went to the Cayman Islands, shot a lot of underwater HD, wanted to make a video for his buddies in half an hour. We found out couldn't do it. Engineer got out Final Cut Pro. Couldn't do it. Couldn't do great movie in 30 minutes. So he created an app that could do it. We were so blown away that we decided to use it. We're still calling it iMovie, but we're giving a new icon so we can show it's a whole new app. One library for all your video."

So one guy obsoleted their iMovie application, that they've been working on quite a lot?
You have no idea the power of an engineer who gets it in his head that there's a better way... Especially when their boss says "No".

I've seen it happen over and over...

coolbreeze
Aug 7, 2007, 01:44 PM
Bought my MB 4 days ago. Just called Apple to ask about free upgrade to iLife 08. Applecare rep dodged my request, told me to keep checking their website (really?). I will just return/rebuy (have 7 day window - authorized reseller no restock fee) if it's not free.

That's worth $79 to me, and it will cost Apple more for the return. Oh well, we'll see how fair Apple wants to be to people who JUST bought a new Mac.

I think a 2 week window is fair. It's only been 4 days for me...that's totally fair, IMO.

Butters
Aug 7, 2007, 01:50 PM
the new iphoto has itunes 7 scrollbars

twoodcc
Aug 7, 2007, 01:54 PM
this looks amazing. Apple continues to impress me. can't wait to go buy this

aristobrat
Aug 7, 2007, 01:54 PM
I will just return/rebuy (have 7 day window - authorized reseller no restock fee) if it's not free.

That's worth $79 to me, and it will cost Apple more for the return. Oh well, we'll see how fair Apple wants to be to people who JUST bought a new Mac.
My guess is that it'll cost your reseller, not Apple, but if it's worth it for you, who cares?

j-a-x
Aug 7, 2007, 01:56 PM
I totally called it!! I knew they wouldn't make iLife or iWork too reliant on Leopard.

Hopstretch
Aug 7, 2007, 01:57 PM
http://www.apple.com/ilife/
Scariest Apple product demonstrator yet! Lay off the spray-tan, dude.

omahajim
Aug 7, 2007, 01:58 PM
Was I just dreaming, or did I see an iLife up-to-date program for $9.95, for those that just bought new computers with iLife 06 in them? I can't find mention of it right at the moment, and the online Store is down again.

edit: http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

edit2: only for macs purchased from Aug 7, 2007. So I guess those up-thread that bought in the last few days/weeks are SOL.

What I'm bummed about is the system requirements for iLife 08. Specifically (at least the one I looked at so far), iMovie now requires an intel or G5 processor. My older G4 mini and G4 Powerbook are fine with lots of current software, but it looks like I'm officially going to be left out of the iLife 08 party unless I pony up for new hardware. Shucks. Some of the other iLife apps appear to work fine with a G4, but it's iMovie I want to use.

cheunghy
Aug 7, 2007, 02:04 PM
Not only iMovie gets a new icon, iPhoto has also got a slightly updated icon with a more modern DC. :D

sakca015
Aug 7, 2007, 02:05 PM

edit2: only for macs purchased from Aug 7, 2007. So I guess those up-thread that bought in the last few days/weeks are SOL.

that effing blows. that doesn't really make any sense though. since they said iLife would begin shipping today that if you ordered TODAY they would already have it on them? or is that just for those who perhaps bought from an apple store today? they should at least give a 30 day or so buffer for this offer.

Langille
Aug 7, 2007, 02:06 PM
Was I just dreaming, or did I see an iLife up-to-date program for $9.95, for those that just bought new computers with iLife 06 in them? I can't find mention of it right at the moment, and the online Store is down again.

Darn. I just ordered my MBP on JUly 12th, got it July 29th... looks like retail price for me. This post had me excited.

Second edit was made while I was checking my info.

bignumbers
Aug 7, 2007, 02:06 PM
Based on a quick review of the new iMovie pages, I'm very concerned that iMovie may have lost a significant amount of its power and flexibility. The new features do look nice for the right purpose. No sign of prior version's ability to edit multiple audio tracks, timeline editing, etc.

Hopefully it's all still in there somewhere.

pgwalsh
Aug 7, 2007, 02:07 PM
I'm under the impression that the new iWeb personal domain names are still hosted by .Mac and not on your own server. I found very little information on Apples website. Anybody have a clue?

Maui
Aug 7, 2007, 02:08 PM
that effing blows. what a freaking racket. they should at least give a 30 day or so buffer.

Why? What other industry gives a buffer? Buy a new car, the next day the new model shows up on the lot, sorry. Same with just about every other product I can think of.

I know it sucks, but I think calling Apple a "racket" is a bit extreme here.

peterj1967
Aug 7, 2007, 02:16 PM
Was reading the info on Web Galleries and came across this.
http://www.mac.com/web/en/Tips/98656C4C-5D25-4BE6-8B6D-446C6CF0509F.html

"To publish photos, first make sure your .Mac account is set up in System Preferences. Next, update your version of iPhoto '08 to 7.0.1 by choosing Software Update from the Apple menu and following the prompts to install."

Sounds to me like you can update iPhoto to '08 without buying iLife?

Did I miss something about that?

omahajim
Aug 7, 2007, 02:17 PM
I'm under the impression that the new iWeb personal domain names are still hosted by .Mac and not on your own server. I found very little information on Apples website. Anybody have a clue?
From .Mac Domain Settings under your account info:

Personal Domain

If you own a web domain, you can enjoy one-click publishing from iWeb '08 directly to your personal web address by having .Mac host your domain name.

To use .Mac with your personal domain, you will need:
• A registered domain name that you control
Use the domain registrar of your choice. .Mac does not sell domain names.
• iWeb '08 installed on your Mac
iWeb '08 is part of iLife '08. Don't have it? You can buy it at the Apple Store.The next step is an "Add Domain" page, a simple two-box entry screen:

Add Personal Domain (1 of 2)

Enter your domain name below and click Continue.

Domain Name
www.

Confirm Domain
www. Not wanting to try any of my domains yet, I tried test.com (just to see what it would do). The error I get is:

Another .Mac member has configured that domain name. If you own this domain, contact .Mac Support for further assistance.So I guess we'll have to wait until someone tries it with a live domain. My guess is that since they require your own registrar, they instruct you to change the A record (or whatever part of the domain settings at your registrar that point the www. or whatever subdomains to specific IP addresses that Apple will assign you???).

coolbreeze
Aug 7, 2007, 02:17 PM
Why? What other industry gives a buffer? Buy a new car, the next day the new model shows up on the lot, sorry. Same with just about every other product I can think of.

I know it sucks, but I think calling Apple a "racket" is a bit extreme here.
I've been around for a while. This happens every time there is an update. The thing that makes it so irritating is that it's not like it's a new hardware update that would involve re-stocking your machine or returning a vehicle to the dealer. It's a piece of software, and not even an OS to boot. They give upgrade certificates to people who purchase Macs just before an OS release, so why not iLife?

I'm not spending $79 on it. Just bought this Macbook 4 days ago. You'd feel the same way if you JUST bought a new Mac as well.

Oh well, I guess I'm just bitter. I am saving my money for Leopard, so I can't spend it on iLife. Apple will get my money, just not on iLife 08.

Gymnut
Aug 7, 2007, 02:19 PM
I think I'll pass on this update for now as the only thing I'd use is iPhoto and can't justify the $79 for the use of only one application in the suite.

WildCowboy
Aug 7, 2007, 02:20 PM
"To publish photos, first make sure your .Mac account is set up in System Preferences. Next, update your version of iPhoto '08 to 7.0.1 by choosing Software Update from the Apple menu and following the prompts to install."

There appears to be a minor update to iPhoto '08 already. You still have to buy iLife '08, which probably ships with iPhoto 7.0. They're telling you to update the shipping version to iPhoto 7.0.1 via Software Update.

NtotheIzoo
Aug 7, 2007, 02:20 PM

This is correct...I just called again to confirm and she said that I have to pay full price for it...That just sucks considering I ordered my MBP on Friday...then cancelled yesterday since I didnt order the glossy screen...the problem is that I cannot afford to cancel again...i probably shouldnt have even cancelled yesterday...

i guess i will have to wait to upgrade to 08...not worth the money right now...

pgwalsh
Aug 7, 2007, 02:24 PM
So I guess we'll have to wait until someone tries it with a live domain. My guess is that since they require your own registrar, they instruct you to change the A record (or whatever part of the domain settings at your registrar that point the www. or whatever subdomains to specific IP addresses that Apple will assign you???).

Well I was afraid that you couldn't host it somewhere else. However, with 10GB of storage, it's not too bad.

omahajim
Aug 7, 2007, 02:26 PM
"To publish photos, first make sure your .Mac account is set up in System Preferences. Next, update your version of iPhoto '08 to 7.0.1 by choosing Software Update from the Apple menu and following the prompts to install."As others have already mentioned, they already pushed the .1 update out the door. Probably a minor fix or a late feature add since the software went golden master or RTM or whatever it's called. No free lunch. By the way, just did software update on Tiger 10.4.10 with latest iLife 06 apps on it, but I'm all current with updates, nothing available to add.

Maui
Aug 7, 2007, 02:27 PM
I'm not spending $79 on it. Just bought this Macbook 4 days ago. You'd feel the same way if you JUST bought a new Mac as well.

Yah, I know it is frustrating. I have a new loaded Mac Pro and a new MacBook Pro, and I have yet to even open any iLife program on the MacBook Pro. Four days ago does suck, but Apple announced this event more than 4 days ago.

There has to be a cutoff date sometime. If they gave a 30 day retroactive buffer, the guy who bought on day 31 would be pissed. It's the nature of the industry.

/shrug

omahajim
Aug 7, 2007, 02:32 PM
There has to be a cutoff date sometime. If they gave a 30 day retroactive buffer, the guy who bought on day 31 would be pissed. It's the nature of the industry.Of the industry, sure. But of Apple specifically, very true. I would have to agree with the poster that pointed out that new macs bought from today on would already have iLife 08 included, so what's the point of the up to date. But I believe that this merely covers the large amount of boxed hardware that would have already been in the supply chain from the recent past, that are sitting in stores today. Especially machines that didn't receive a refresh today.

I don't expect Apple to bend on this, but the backlash will certainly be significant.

Personally I found the Q&A at the end very un-Apple (but welcome nonetheless). If no reporter had thought to ask about the mini, we certainly would have found out in due course through scouring the Store for updated product. But I for one would like to see Apple be just a little more relaxed where it comes to answering media inquiries, to expand upon the loose Q&A format that was allowed today. Nothing especially earth-shattering was asked however, probably caught everyone off guard so they wouldn't have juicy stuff prepared to ask.

Aaon
Aug 7, 2007, 02:37 PM
So this will be my first upgrade of iLife, since I got my first Mac about a year ago. I am most interested in the updated iMovie. However, I am pretty happy with the current iMovie as well! Can I run both at the same time? Is that possible? Or does installing iLife '08 pretty much wipe out my current iLife apps?

Mando
Aug 7, 2007, 02:38 PM
I just called apple and the rep said confidently that any mac that was ordered online but didn't ship yet will come with iLife 08. I hope he's right.

bankshot
Aug 7, 2007, 02:40 PM

Doesn't surprise me. iMovie has been pretty bad since about version 3 or so. It's easy to use, but in all recent versions, I always run into common situations that make it barf.

For example, just the other day I was editing a quick movie - import from the camera, add clip to the timeline, add a fade-in transition at the beginning. Whoops, the transition completely killed the sound, rather than fading it in like it says it does. I had to extract the audio from the clip first, then apply the transition, then ramp up the audio manually. No way my mom figures out that workaround. People like her, that this software is aimed towards, would either give up or live with the error.

Every recent version of iMovie has had stupid little bugs like this. It almost always has major trouble with undo - works fine, until eventually when an undo operation borks up one of your clips.

Hopefully this version, being a brand new codebase, leaves all those issues behind. I'm pretty excited to try it out.

Hopstretch
Aug 7, 2007, 02:40 PM
I really, really like the look of Web Gallery. It seems to be a great solution for someone like me who is already committed to iPhoto for photo management and is mainly publishing kid stuff for a (let's be kind) somewhat technically-unsophisticated audience of grandparents etc. Simple, cross-platform, resource-light at the user end -- this alone will sell me .Mac.

Here's a live demo (http://gallery.mac.com/emily_parker).

Kaptajn Haddock
Aug 7, 2007, 02:41 PM

Yep, it kinda sucks. You still have to have .Mac to use that feature, so not that much use. All they do is make a DNS alias. I have one.com as my webhotel and they already have webalias via DNS, so that my .Mac site shows on my own domain, without me having to buy for .Mac

Kaptajn Haddock
Aug 7, 2007, 02:42 PM
With the new iMovie, will iPhoto no longer import the videos from my still DC? Will iMovie open now and ask if I should import movies from my camera?

aafuss1
Aug 7, 2007, 02:43 PM
Just 99 Aussie dollars (was $119)-at that price, I'll buy it as soon as my Apple reseller gets it in.

It'll be my first iLife upgrade too.

aafuss1
Aug 7, 2007, 02:45 PM
Was reading the info on Web Galleries and came across this.
http://www.mac.com/web/en/Tips/98656C4C-5D25-4BE6-8B6D-446C6CF0509F.html

Strange-hope Apple will clarify this up.

Kaptajn Haddock
Aug 7, 2007, 02:47 PM
Strange-hope Apple will clarify this up.

I think that Apple has printed the install discs and then found a bug, so that an update will already be ready when you receive iLife 08.

uk_blaster
Aug 7, 2007, 02:47 PM
The Garage Band update seems a bit weak to me. :rolleyes:

Apple could have at least thrown us a new Jam pack to complement this release.

I can't say I am very excited by iLife '08. I certainly wont be going out of my way to upgrade like I did with iLife '05 or '06.

Kaptajn Haddock
Aug 7, 2007, 02:50 PM
I Use Aperture instead of iPhoto. Hopefully we will see an update to Aperture soon that makes it possible to use the same features on .Mac as iPhoto - as well as order the new books.

jettredmont
Aug 7, 2007, 02:50 PM
Well, count me in on the group with a 1-week-old Mac who now needs to spend another $79 to have the latest iLife. Not very happy about it, but that is life.

In any case, though, I'm scratching my head here.

iPhoto:

Events. Okay, this is exactly, aside from the thumbnail photo assigned to the "event" what I was doing with "rolls". I mean, photos got moved into "event" rolls which had little to do with precisely when they were imported into the Mac (which always seems a useless bit of trivia for a photo). I don't see why having yet another organizing method (events) adds anything to the mix here. Does anyone find the "roll" concept intrinsically useful, such that both it and the "event" concept need to live side-by-side?

Filtering by ratings: about time. It's a key part of my Aperture workflow. And the added adjustments (highlight/shadows, etc) are a nice pull over from Aperture too. I just wish the non-destructive editing (yes, I can revert to the original, but I can't re-jigger the cropping without losing the white balance and straightening changes!) had made the cut too!

.Mac web gallery: I'm guessing this is the key .Mac upgrade we're seeing aside from more space (although if reports of faster upload/download times are to be believed, that is the #1 improvement to .Mac!) It seems like another photo slideshow ghetto. How many ghettos should one .Mac account hold? I mean, there's already the "Homepage" ghetto, and the iWeb ghetto; do we really need another one? Still, some really nice features. And, maybe they built a little foot bridge from your iWeb site to this gallery ... but they sure aren't advertising it. I'll wait and see on this. Still, the features here are compelling enough I'll likely use it even though it's not a fully integrated ecosystem ... I just expect more of Apple I guess.

iMovie:

Well, it all looks nice to me, but I'm not going to get much use out of it. Where iMovie frustrated me before was depth of adjustments and stability as the project grew larger. I've since transitioned over to Final Cut instead, and don't see anything here that would pull me back (nor do I see the justification behind the new iMovie being able to create a quick movie faster than Final Cut ... assuming a non-novice FCP user). Even my kids are able to work Final Cut pretty deftly! In any case, call this a non-review of iMovie.

Garage Band:

Looks mostly evolutionary, albeit in the right direction. Although: wait a minute; can you now change the tempo of your recording? That's a significant improvement!

In any case, I'll give the changes a thumbs up. Garage Band is very nice, for what it is, and it seems Apple's made it even more "what it is".

iWeb:

Here, I'm a bit disappointed. I like that we now can pull in "web widgets" (by which I am assuming they mean code snippets), and the implementation there sounds slick (live updating while composing the rest of your page). I think I'll pass on the Google AdSense integration (seems like this is a needlessly emphasized example of a web widget, right?). The Google Maps integration might be very useful, though, depending on how much we can customize the embedded maps.

Personal Domain Names: The details here are sketchy at best. Does this mean that we can redirect from our personal domain to the iWeb page without the user's browser address changing (which I thought was already possible), or that Apple is getting into the domain name business alongside GoDaddy and the rest?

Enhanced Photo Pages: doesn't seem like anything more than a minor update to the existing photo pages. I don't like the paradigm of a sheet full of thumbnails with a small caption per and a link to a slideshow, so I never used the existing photo pages. Looks like I'll continue not using them.

Theme Switching: sounds useful. Maybe add in an Automator action to rotate your site's theme on a daily basis and we've got a winner! Just kidding of course; when you need it, it's good to have it there.

iDVD: Another incremental update. More themes to use (does this not ship with the older themes, again? It seems silly to get a new version of software and not have the older version's themes available!) Positioning guides. More button shapes if you use those. "Better" slideshows (again, I can't bring myself to use iDVD's slideshows because it's another ghetto; put all that effort into it and the only folks who can enjoy it are those who pop the disk in, not the folks who just download it online ... which brings me to ...)

I see iDVD as the biggest missed opportunity for iLife 08. Apple had a year and a half here. The obvious progression from the DVD is to online. iMovie makes non-interactive movies. iWeb can put some basic interactivity around movies, but it's not really geared towards that. iDVD should be able to "burn" to a web site, using Flash or whatever is necessary. I should be able to, for instance, sink two hours into timing out a slideshow in iDVD, and export that not only to the DVD but also to an automated slideshow (with similar controls or autopilot modes) on the iWeb site.

Overall, I'm very disappointed here. I'll likely pony up the $79 to upgrade, because I'm Apple's bitch and all. But I'm not nearly so excited to do so as I have been the last two upgrades. The extra time between upgrades has only strengthened the disappointment here; this seems like a half-version upgrade, and it took one and a half times as long to produce!

jettredmont
Aug 7, 2007, 02:52 PM
I Use Aperture instead of iPhoto. Hopefully we will see an update to Aperture soon that makes it possible to use the same features on .Mac as iPhoto - as well as order the new books.

Not likely on the .Mac integration, although it would be a pleasant surprise. Apple tends to not provide "consumer" features in the Pro lines. For instance, you won't see "Automatic Ken Burns Effects" in Final Cut.

Kaptajn Haddock
Aug 7, 2007, 03:00 PM
Not likely on the .Mac integration, although it would be a pleasant surprise. Apple tends to not provide "consumer" features in the Pro lines. For instance, you won't see "Automatic Ken Burns Effects" in Final Cut.

Well all I'm interested in is to use Webgallery with Aperture. I hate iPhotos duplication of images when you edit them. Takes up to much space.

Island Dog
Aug 7, 2007, 03:00 PM
It's an interesting update, but nothing that justifies me spending $79 on it. I can wait until I buy a new Mac.

Kaptajn Haddock
Aug 7, 2007, 03:01 PM
Well all I'm interested in is to use Webgallery with Aperture. I hate iPhotos duplication of images when you edit them. Takes up to much space.

Wow, Aperture just got updated to 1.5.4 - don't know whats new. Just says adds compatibility with iLife 08.

robPOD
Aug 7, 2007, 03:03 PM
I will be getting this a soon as it becomes availible on the internetz.

ChrisA
Aug 7, 2007, 03:03 PM
I really like the ability to email photos to a pooled iPhoto set.

I like the promise of getting my many video clips under control. You know what feature I would like to see across the board is captioning for photos and videos so notes can be attached to specific images and clips. Is that a feature already?

Rocketman

They call it "comment" not "caption". The difference is that caption gets printed under while comment is inside the photo. Comments have always been there and you can search on them are use them are criteria in smart albums.

ChrisA
Aug 7, 2007, 03:05 PM
Wow, Aperture just got updated to 1.5.4 - don't know whats new. Just says adds compatibility with iLife 08.

The iPhoto library format must have changed to allow for "events". Aperture would have to also change so it can continue to access iPhoto libraries

bigbadTKO
Aug 7, 2007, 03:07 PM
anyone know when the retail apple stores will have this available?

SWC
Aug 7, 2007, 03:09 PM
anyone else concerned by apples complete lack of updates of idvd and dvd studio pro a few months ago? I have to wonder if its a) theyre on their way out for something much better or b) they are abandoning disc based media creation and pushing youtube, .mac galleries etc.

omahajim
Aug 7, 2007, 03:10 PM
New information about Personal Domain settings on .Mac (from Apple's "tips" RSS feed):

Setting up .Mac to use a personal domain name

If you're using iWeb '08, you can set up your .Mac account to use a personal domain name so that the URL to your iWeb websites is easy to remember and named by you.

Note: Your personal domain URL is used for iWeb '08 websites that you publish to your .Mac account. Your personal domain URL is not used for your .Mac Web Gallery or HomePage websites.
To set up .Mac to use a personal domain name:

1. If you haven't already registered a domain name, visit an accredited domain name registrar on the Internet and register the personal domain name you want to use.

For information about registering a domain name, search the Internet for "domain name registrars."
2. If you're not already logged in to .Mac, go to www.mac.com, and log in.
3. Click Account in the left column on the .Mac homepage, and confirm your login.
4. On the Account Settings page, click the Personal Domain button, and then follow the instructions that appear.

When asked to enter your domain name, be sure to type the entire domain name (including the extension, such as .com, .net) that you've registered.
5. When you see a screen confirming that .Mac is configured to host your domain, go to your domain name registrar's web hosting area, and point your domain (by adding or changing a "cname record") to "web.mac.com."

For instructions on changing the cname register, contact your domain name registrar.

You may need to wait up to 48 hours for your domain name to take effect and for the link to your iWeb '08 websites to work. After 48 hours, you'll be able to visit your iWeb '08 websites at the new personal domain URL.

pgwalsh
Aug 7, 2007, 03:10 PM
Yep, it kinda sucks. You still have to have .Mac to use that feature, so not that much use. All they do is make a DNS alias. I have one.com as my webhotel and they already have webalias via DNS, so that my .Mac site shows on my own domain, without me having to buy for .Mac The only part I don't get is your last sentence. So your .Mac shows up under your own domain name, but you don't pay for .Mac. Huh?

sakca015
Aug 7, 2007, 03:12 PM
...so when Leopard comes out...will that include iLife '08 within it, or will you have to do a separate upgrade?

Kaptajn Haddock
Aug 7, 2007, 03:13 PM
The only part I don't get is your last sentence. So your .Mac shows up under your own domain name, but you don't pay for .Mac. Huh?

He he, what I ment was that you could already forward you .Mac site to you own domain via DNS. But yes, you do have to own .Mac :-)

What I don't understand is this:
"Your personal domain URL is not used for your .Mac Web Gallery or HomePage websites." What do they mean by that?

msharpmu
Aug 7, 2007, 03:17 PM
I thought that mail was an ilife component?

pgwalsh
Aug 7, 2007, 03:18 PM
He he, what I ment was that you could already forward you .Mac site to you own domain via DNS. But yes, you do have to own .Mac :-)

What I don't understand is this:
"Your personal domain URL is not used for your .Mac Web Gallery or HomePage websites." What do they mean by that?
It's just an alias for a .Mac account.

ScottDrummer
Aug 7, 2007, 03:18 PM
will leopard have iLife 08 built in, the same way tiger has ilife07 built in?
also whats the difference in the family pack and single licence, i mean are there any limitations to buying the single licence and installing it on more than one mac?

Kaptajn Haddock
Aug 7, 2007, 03:19 PM
I can't seem to find anything about iWebs ability to upload one site at a time, instead of as now where you have to build all your sites even though you hav eonly made changes to one of them.

JGF0x
Aug 7, 2007, 03:19 PM
...so when Leopard comes out...will that include iLife '08 within it, or will you have to do a separate upgrade?

iLife '08 just like iWork '08 are separate from Leopard. You can only get it together if you buy a new computer.

Does anyone know if you can install the same single license iLife on two Macs? I'm not being cheap but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $20 just to update my mom's iBook and my MacBook Pro with the newest iLife.

Kaptajn Haddock
Aug 7, 2007, 03:20 PM
It's just an alias for a .Mac account.

Meaning what? Will I not be able to acces my webgallery on my own alias domain?

backsidetailsli
Aug 7, 2007, 03:21 PM
also whats the difference in the family pack and single licence, i mean are there any limitations to buying the single licence and installing it on more than one mac?

yeah, like if i buy a MBP soon.. could i use the install disks to update my older imac?

JGF0x
Aug 7, 2007, 03:22 PM
By the way I sent someone to the Apple Store to get iLife '08 for me today and they didn't have it. The guy said they *might* have it in boxes but that they aren't allowed to open them yet. So much for it being "available today". :(

omahajim
Aug 7, 2007, 03:24 PM
Today Apple introduced iLife '08.

-.Mac Web Gallery: Enhanced, web 2.0 photo galleries compatible with any browser. "Contribute from anywhere"... Allows you (or anyone) to add to web gallery from the internet or from the iPhone.
Cool. I don't remember seeing this button on my iPhone over the last few days. I did update to iPhone 1.0.1 the other day, but I wonder if they had this hidden, and the "Send to Web Gallery" button got turned on just today (in the "Photos" app on the phone)? I don't yet have iLife '08 and no other iPhone udpates have come in since 1.0.1 was released.

So maybe there are more cool easter eggs hidden on the iPhone, waiting to be turned on? (Surely if the "Send to Web Gallery" button had been enabled a few days ago, it would have been noticed?)

Full live Photoblogging directly from the iPhone. Seems pretty simple and useful, even with only a 2mp camera.

msharpmu
Aug 7, 2007, 03:24 PM
By the way I sent someone to the Apple Store to get iLife '08 for me today and they didn't have it. The guy said they *might* have it in boxes but that they aren't allowed to open them yet. So much for it being "available today". :(

How do you "send someone to the Apple store?"

bmoseley07
Aug 7, 2007, 03:27 PM
I totally called it!! I knew they wouldn't make iLife or iWork too reliant on Leopard.

It wouldn't make any sense if they did, becuase they'd be losing a lot sales from people who won't upgrade to Leopard.

Kaptajn Haddock
Aug 7, 2007, 03:28 PM
It doesn't seem like you can order the new books introduced with iPhoto 08, that kinda su.ks! The 1.5.4 update does not add the new books which look way cool. This is really sad :(

pgwalsh
Aug 7, 2007, 03:28 PM
Meaning what? Will I not be able to acces my webgallery on my own alias domain?

If you use www. Kaptajn Haddock.com as your domain name and use it with you .Mac service, it'll point people to your .Mac account, but will show up as www Kaptajn Haddock.com.

Think of it as a shortcut icon to an application. A domain alias is just a name that points to an address as http://17.112.152.32 which is www.apple.com

Apple could have several aliases or names pointing to 17.112.152.32.

pgwalsh
Aug 7, 2007, 03:29 PM
In a large box. :D :p

Kaptajn Haddock
If you use www.Kaptajn Haddock.com as your domain name and use it with you .Mac service, it'll point people to your .Mac account, but will show up as www.Kaptajn Haddock.com.

Think of it as a shortcut icon to an application. A domain alias is just a name that points to an address as http://17.112.152.32 which is www.apple.com

Apple could have several aliases or names pointing to 17.112.152.32.

Yep, I get that part, but why do they say it doesn't work with the new webgallery thing?

JGF0x

"Dad, I know you hate shopping but can you stop at the mall on your way home from work and go to the Apple Store and pick up iLife '08 for me?"

"Sure."

"They didn't have it. The guy said they might have it in boxes but they can't open them yet."

"Okay."

It's shockingly simple really.

dalvin200
Aug 7, 2007, 03:30 PM
if i upgrade to ilife 08, will all of my existing libraries for iphoto etc.. stay intact?

I have a plenty of custom and smart albums in iphoto that i wouldn't want to lose.

not sure about itunes either.. i'm assuming all playlist info and the library will also remain intact?

thanks

Royale w/cheese
Aug 7, 2007, 03:31 PM
That iLife up to date seems a little unfair to some, but then again I have never qualified for anything windows or mac for free updates.

Does anybody else think the GB Jampacks are way too overpriced?

yblanco
Aug 7, 2007, 03:31 PM
I bought a brand new Macbook Pro less than 3 weeks ago. Will Apple consider giving me a coupon for free or discounted upgrade to iLife 08? I think they have done this in the past with thr second release of iLife if I'm no mistaken.
I guess we'll all have to insist calling Apple to see if things change. Otherwise the Up-to-Date is just crap.
If support was only as good as the Apple products...

backsidetailsli
Aug 7, 2007, 03:32 PM

yeah, like if i buy a MBP soon.. could i use the install disks to update my older imac?

good questions. can someone answer?

Kaptajn Haddock
Aug 7, 2007, 03:32 PM
The only part I don't get is your last sentence. So your .Mac shows up under your own domain name, but you don't pay for .Mac. Huh?

Actually what I meant was that iWeb still does not allow you to upload directly to you own domain/webhotel, you have to go through .Mac to have the easy publishing feature send the site to your own domain/webhotel. So that still leaves people without .Mac with the old and slow method where you have to export to a folder and upload the entire site each time instead of just pressing Publish and have it upload only whats changed to your own domain.

MakGeek
Aug 7, 2007, 03:33 PM
just called my local Apple Store, Danbury CT. "We don't have it, call back tomorrow when we'll have more information." Boo.

Royale w/cheese
Aug 7, 2007, 03:34 PM

I would think you could use pacifist. It worked for someone else, not me of course. :rolleyes:

pgwalsh
Aug 7, 2007, 03:36 PM
Actually what I meant was that iWeb still does not allow you to upload directly to you own domain/webhotel, you have to go through .Mac to do that. Meaning that you have to export to a folder and upload the entire site each time instead of just pressing Publish and have it upload only whats changed to your own domain. Yeah, it's a pain in the neck. That's why I mainly use LAMP or DreamWeaver, but for small sites iWeb would make is sweet and easy.

BlackDan
Aug 7, 2007, 03:38 PM

- iLife has never been built-in to the OS. You'll get iLife 08 with every new mac (re-installed) from now on, but that's not the same as "built-in".

- The family pack is actually 5 licenses. If you buy the single version, you can install just one. Nobody can stop you from installing it more than once, but you'd be breaking the license agreement. So basically, that's piracy.

- No, you can't use the disks from your MBP to update an older mac. 1) it's not the same as a Tiger disk you buy in the store. 2) the older mac is probably not an intel machine

rjboger
Aug 7, 2007, 03:41 PM
what nobody has shown tho is that the education price now only saves 8 dollars instead of 20 thats kinda whack

backsidetailsli
Aug 7, 2007, 03:41 PM
I would think you could use pacifist. It worked for someone else, not me of course. :rolleyes:

cool app. thanks!

BlancheDubois
Aug 7, 2007, 03:44 PM
Talk about frustrated...my MacBook shipped YESTERDAY! I ordered iWork pre-installed. I've been calling and I keep getting the run-around. One person told me that all they knew was from the website, which said you had to order today. Another told me there is a 30-day grace period, which would cover me. Now I got someone else, and he put me on hold to 'research' the issue. ARGH!!

Now they say they can give me a 50 dollar credit for my troubles. I DON'T WANT A 50 DOLLAR CREDIT, I WANT THE ****** SOFTWARE!!!

I'm totally new to the Mac world, way to start with a bang...

msharpmu
Aug 7, 2007, 03:55 PM
"Dad, I know you hate shopping but can you stop at the mall on your way home from work and go to the Apple Store and pick up iLife '08 for me?"

"Sure."

"They didn't have it. The guy said they might have it in boxes but they can't open them yet."

"Okay."

It's shockingly simple really.

Let me try...

" Dad can you buy this for me? Dad, can you buy that for me? Daddy, I want something..."

...seems simple enough to me :)

thajeztah
Aug 7, 2007, 03:59 PM
Based on a quick review of the new iMovie pages, I'm very concerned that iMovie may have lost a significant amount of its power and flexibility. The new features do look nice for the right purpose. No sign of prior version's ability to edit multiple audio tracks, timeline editing, etc.

I double that. I've had a look at the tutorials and all videos, but it seems it's really not there! :(

Even worse: importing old projects from iMovie HD is not fully supported (from the tutorials) http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/#imovie-oneplace-9:

'importing an iMovie HD project will remove all custom transitions and effects, titles and any music added to your project !!' :mad::mad:

Does anybody know if it's possible to install iMovie 08 next to iMovie HD?

Maui
Aug 7, 2007, 04:05 PM

Must be your store then. I just purchased it at the Biltmore store. They had tons of copies to sell. They did not have any iWork yet, but when I opened the iLife there is a trial for iWork 08 in the box.

They did not have any of the new iMacs on display yet, but the cashier said they were in boxes in the back.

They were all wearing green t-shirts today.

Royale w/cheese
Aug 7, 2007, 04:05 PM
iMovie 08 doesn't look too bad, but lets get a FCE update to a full number, anybody thinking Oct or are we gonna have to wait until Jan?

OS X Dude
Aug 7, 2007, 04:15 PM
Seeing as Apple missed iLife + iWork 07, does this mean they're updating it every two years now?

This is much better if so, as I would save 110 per year! To put toward that updated Mac Mini to use as a media center with my lovely MacBook :)

randyg
Aug 7, 2007, 04:21 PM
It's possible i'm not reading this correctly. This is the System Requirements from Apples site:

System Requirements

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 processor; iMovie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster; iDVD requires a 733MHz or faster processor.
512MB of RAM; 1GB recommended
Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
3GB of available disk space
DVD drive for installation
QuickTime 7.2 or later

Does this mean that iMovie will no longer be compatible with any G4 or earlier machines?

mrkgoo
Aug 7, 2007, 04:22 PM
Talk about frustrated...my MacBook shipped YESTERDAY! I ordered iWork pre-installed. I've been calling and I keep getting the run-around. One person told me that all they knew was from the website, which said you had to order today. Another told me there is a 30-day grace period, which would cover me. Now I got someone else, and he put me on hold to 'research' the issue. ARGH!!

Now they say they can give me a 50 dollar credit for my troubles. I DON'T WANT A 50 DOLLAR CREDIT, I WANT THE ****** SOFTWARE!!!

I'm totally new to the Mac world, way to start with a bang...

I understand feeling the pain, but really, noone is ripping you off. While you may feel entitled, you're getting exactly what you paid for when you clicked 'submit'. True, they might be giving you confusing signals, but in the end they gave you $50, which is probably more than many other people are getting.

What I don't get is how there are so many people who are members here, who must've known about this event, and all the rumours pointed to an iLife/iwork update, yet people still buy these products just before, and then complain about the new ones.

If people are going to get so uptight about it, why don't they just wait until an announced event is over? Or just wait for a product update and buy then, if they're going to be so frustrated by it? Yes, I know people can wait and wait, and things just don't happen - but that's the trade off if you don't want to be frustrated by updates. Would if help people if they just held the software until next week? The week after? Next month? (Of course then, you'd just have other people complaining who bought it then). You can argue for a grace period, but then people who bought it a day before the grace period would complain.

bigandy
Aug 7, 2007, 04:29 PM
Yeah, it's a pain in the neck. That's why I mainly use LAMP or DreamWeaver, but for small sites iWeb would make is sweet and easy.
LAMP or Dreamweaver? What? You do realise that, if anything, Dreamweaver is a relatively useful tool for developing sites built on a LAMP system? You know that LAMP stands for Linux Apache MySQL and PERL or PHP? And therefore you can't use LAMP instead of Dreamweaver? Ok, just making sure ;)

It's possible i'm not reading this correctly. This is the System Requirements from Apples site:

System Requirements

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 processor; iMovie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster; iDVD requires a 733MHz or faster processor.
QuickTime 7.2 or later

Does this mean that iMovie will no longer be compatible with any G4 or earlier machines?

Well from the detail, yeah, I'd say no iMovie on a G4.

Whiteapple
Aug 7, 2007, 04:31 PM
Dude, chill out...

EDIT : Oops my bad. No iMovie you're right.

System Requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 processor; iMovie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster; iDVD requires a 733MHz or faster processor.
• 512MB of RAM; 1GB recommended
• Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
• 3GB of available disk space
• DVD drive for installation
• QuickTime 7.2 or later

Cole Slaw
Aug 7, 2007, 04:34 PM
If I ordered a refurb MBP SR tomorrow, let's say, would it come with iLife '08, or '07 (because that's what the refurbed MBP originally shipped with when it was new)?:confused:

randyg
Aug 7, 2007, 04:38 PM
Dude, chill out...

I just thought others might be interested in this. Didn't mean to not be "chillin" dude

pgwalsh
Aug 7, 2007, 04:41 PM
LAMP or Dreamweaver? What? You do realise that, if anything, Dreamweaver is a relatively useful tool for developing sites built on a LAMP system? You know that LAMP stands for Linux Apache MySQL and PERL or PHP? And therefore you can't use LAMP instead of Dreamweaver? Ok, just making sure ;)

Depends what and who I'm developing for. A simple site that's small and doesn't have a lot of updates and can be static, I'll use DreamWeaver.

For a site with lots of updates I'll use a dynamic website built on LAMP.

I personally don't use DreamWeaver with PHP sites for local testing. I prefer to build the templates for a dynamic site in a text editor and just view it in a browser.

msharpmu
Aug 7, 2007, 04:41 PM
If I ordered a refurb MBP SR tomorrow, let's say, would it come with iLife '08, or '07 (because that's what the refurbed MBP originally shipped with when it was new)?:confused:

You would probably receive '07 but you can get the upgrade for $9.99 since you bought a mac after Aug. 7th.

looking4anotebo
Aug 7, 2007, 04:42 PM
I understand feeling the pain, but really, noone is ripping you off. While you may feel entitled, you're getting exactly what you paid for when you clicked 'submit'. True, they might be giving you confusing signals, but in the end they gave you $50, which is probably more than many other people are getting.

What I don't get is how there are so many people who are members here, who must've known about this event, and all the rumours pointed to an iLife/iwork update, yet people still buy these products just before, and then complain about the new ones.

If people are going to get so uptight about it, why don't they just wait until an announced event is over? Or just wait for a product update and buy then, if they're going to be so frustrated by it? Yes, I know people can wait and wait, and things just don't happen - but that's the trade off if you don't want to be frustrated by updates. Would if help people if they just held the software until next week? The week after? Next month? (Of course then, you'd just have other people complaining who bought it then). You can argue for a grace period, but then people who bought it a day before the grace period would complain.

Great points. This particular trend gets old real quick.

omahajim
Aug 7, 2007, 04:46 PM
I would say check http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/list.html . I'm guessing the refurb is a sealed box already in the supply chain, so you'd be getting iLife '06 on the hard drive or in the box, and qualify for the 9.95 upgrade from the website. But only Apple knows for sure.

The refurb MBP's that I see on the Apple Store state "iLife '06", so again I think you'd be looking at 9.95 up-to-date for iLife 08.

macwoo
Aug 7, 2007, 04:46 PM
Does anyone know if I need a family pack for a single computer / multi user setup? Yes, I want to have each account have its own sync area / publish area.

omahajim
Aug 7, 2007, 04:53 PM
Great points. This particular trend gets old real quick.Seems to be a thing that most Apple newbies learn the hard way the first time around, then you find them here spouting that exact "wait and see" advice in about six months once they've learned how the game is played on this side of the fence.

(and despite the "newbie" title in my profile at left, I've had Macs for a very very long time, and mostly just lurked here for years, among many other mac related forums)

overcast
Aug 7, 2007, 05:01 PM
Does anyone know if I need a family pack for a single computer / multi user setup? Yes, I want to have each account have its own sync area / publish area.
The license is machine tied, not user.

macwoo
Aug 7, 2007, 05:04 PM
The license is machine tied, not user.

Thanks, I missed that fact that iLife and the .mac account are separate.

DavidLeblond
Aug 7, 2007, 05:08 PM
I saw the slide Magic Garageband and thought it was alluding to a feature such as the one offered by the MyDreamApp idea Whistler (http://mydreamapp.com/contestants/view/richardwhitelock/idea/)? Instead its a soundboard. Man talk about a disappointment (and a missed opportunity)

BlancheDubois
Aug 7, 2007, 05:09 PM
This 'newbie' couldn't wait much longer for a computer- I really need it for school purposes. I was told by countless Mac veterans that there IS a grace period for people who purchased just before the upgrade, even one of Apple's representatives misinformed me on this. Even if I had waited, a software update wasn't guaranteed. Many believed it would come with Leopard.

It is possible that my MacBook will arrive with the new software, as it has been held over in Shanghai for longer than usual. I'm not expecting it, but one can hope.

I'm no fool, I've bought cautiously when it comes to other products; this one couldn't wait. At least my waiting for the Airport Extreme Base Station paid off.

TheSilentKellar
Aug 7, 2007, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know if the new iMovie will support .MOD file support? I have a JVC everio camera and I hate having to use third party software to be able to get it to work with iMovie. I know iMovie supports mpeg-2 and .MOD is a form of that but I don't know if it will be supported our not.

omahajim
Aug 7, 2007, 05:19 PM
I'm wondering the same thing.Please look previously on this thread, I posted some of the information from the .Mac website that answered this. Your pages are hosted at .Mac, you have to add a "CNAME" record to your domain at your current registrar, to forward the domain to Apple, so you won't be using your current host (at least for the www. subdomain).

PCMacUser
Aug 7, 2007, 05:29 PM
Dude, chill out...

EDIT : Oops my bad. No iMovie you're right.

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame that us G4 owners can't upgrade to the new iMovie.

BTW, your sig needs correcting... it was F. Scott Fitzgerald who wrote the Great Gatsby. :)

Alistair1990
Aug 7, 2007, 05:33 PM
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but will the new products, specifically iLife and the new keyboard, be available in the UK Apple Stores from tomorrow? Was planning on going to the Meadowhall store.

Alistair.

duskdawn
Aug 7, 2007, 05:37 PM
Well I ordered a MBP on 7/30 and it is estimated to be shipped 8/8-13. Yes that's tomorrow to say the earliest. If apple install software prior shipment I think it is likely mine will be coming with iLife08. But who knows, I don't consider myself a lucky person :D. If not, I will just play with old ones for a while and see.
And also I think if your order is a customized model it will usually get the latest updates. If it is a pre-made model who knows if it is from the stock or not.

Alistair1990
Aug 7, 2007, 05:41 PM
I was hoping that the stores would have stock straight away, as the website says shipping of 3-5 days. I'll give them a call in the morning, its a 2 hour trip each way so will check first. Fingers crossed :apple:

Alistair

MacSA
Aug 7, 2007, 05:42 PM
So is much of this new stuff in iLife 08 (especially iWeb) useless unless you spend even more Money on .Mac?

p0intblank
Aug 7, 2007, 05:47 PM
Are you serious? iMovie '08 seriously does not support G4 processors? That's crazy! I'm not believing this until I see some proof.

iMovie is my primary application for video editing. I really hope this isn't true...

Khryz
Aug 7, 2007, 05:49 PM
Do you think they would give me iLife 08 for free since I just bought my Macbook a week ago?

pgwalsh
Aug 7, 2007, 05:52 PM
So is much of this new stuff in iLife 08 (especially iWeb) useless unless you spend even more Money on .Mac?
Well for $8.25 a month you get 10 GB of space that works with an extremely well crafted web application and the ability to share video's and pictures in a truly simple manner. So I think it's a good deal in most respects.

BlancheDubois
Aug 7, 2007, 05:53 PM
Well I ordered a MBP on 7/30 and it is estimated to be shipped 8/8-13. Yes that's tomorrow to say the earliest. If apple install software prior shipment I think it is likely mine will be coming with iLife08. But who knows, I don't consider myself a lucky person :D. If not, I will just play with old ones for a while and see.
And also I think if your order is a customized model it will usually get the latest updates. If it is a pre-made model who knows if it is from the stock or not.

Hmmm...so maybe I do have a chance, since mine was customized:rolleyes:

I think you will have it, if not you can get the 10 dollar upgrade.

coolbreeze
Aug 7, 2007, 05:57 PM
Seems to be a thing that most Apple newbies learn the hard way the first time around, then you find them here spouting that exact "wait and see" advice in about six months once they've learned how the game is played on this side of the fence.

(and despite the "newbie" title in my profile at left, I've had Macs for a very very long time, and mostly just lurked here for years, among many other mac related forums)

I'm no Mac newbie, I know how to "play the game" and I feel pretty ripped off b/c I just bought this MacBook 4 days ago. I realize I'm not "entitled" to anything, but a little off the $80 would be welcome.

Now when Leopard rolls around am I going to cry about not having a free upgrade certificate? No, because I know how to play the game. I know there is an update coming, and have started saving for that $130 purchase. I feel Apple should extend a grace period for recent Mac buyers since this update was "sprung" on us (unlike OS releases, etc). Had I known about this software update, I would have waited 4 days...it's not like free double the RAM of previous generation machines, etc.

If the same thing happened to the most seasoned Mac user, he/she would be upset. Just saying. It sucks when it actually happens to you, trust me.

MacSA
Aug 7, 2007, 05:57 PM
Well for $8.25 a month you get 10 GB of space that works with an extremely well crafted web application and the ability to share video's and pictures in a truly simple manner. So I think it's a good deal in most respects.

So are you saying Yes then? But there are lots of sites you can get free web space... your ISP for instance.

Peace
Aug 7, 2007, 06:00 PM

If your MBP ships in 2 days you will have iLife08' on it.If not just call apple support and they will ship it out to you for free.

fr4c
Aug 7, 2007, 06:00 PM
I'm no Mac newbie, I know how to "play the game" and I feel pretty ripped off b/c I just bought this MacBook 4 days ago. I realize I'm not "entitled" to anything, but a little off the $80 would be welcome.

Now when Leopard rolls around am I going to cry about not having a free upgrade certificate? No, because I know how to play the game. iLife 08 is a meager update (not an OS update). I feel Apple should extend a grace period for recent Mac buyers since this update was "sprung" on us (unlike OS releases, etc).

If the same thing happened to the most seasoned Mac user, he/she would be upset. Just saying. It sucks when it actually happens to you, trust me.

You can still get the $9.95 upgrade via the online upgrade if you purchased within two weeks. Directions below:

1) Access the online upgrade form and fill in the information (Model, serial numbers, etc.)

2) When asked to put in purchase date, choose August 7.

3) Confirm and add to cart. Then check out.

coolbreeze
Aug 7, 2007, 06:06 PM
You can still get the $9.95 upgrade via the online upgrade if you purchased within two weeks. Directions below:

1) Access the online upgrade form and fill in the information (Model, serial numbers, etc.)

2) When asked to put in purchase date, choose August 7.

3) Confirm and add to cart. Then check out.

Err, is this legal? Aren't you just falsifying the purchase date? Where did the 2-week window come from? This basically means anyone can say they bought their machine on Aug 7th and qualify? Sounds sketchy to me.

I just tried, it accepted it. Wonder if I should do this? Anyone else tried?

thomasfxlt
Aug 7, 2007, 06:12 PM
My guess is that the iMovie "publish to YouTube" feature is going to drive a bunch of sales of iLife.

ghall
Aug 7, 2007, 06:21 PM
Looks pretty awesome. I'm picking mine up this weekend. Though I don't particularly like the new iMovie, looks too complex for a simple movie editor. Or is it supposed to be more than that now?

BlancheDubois
Aug 7, 2007, 06:23 PM
Amen to your post, coolbreeze.

By the way, earlier I noticed that the order form was just too easy. I asked an Apple rep why you were allowed to enter any date...and the rep said, "Because it's just an order form." Perhaps a hint?

I'm a little bit weary about lying, even though I believe the upgrade is well deserved.

Hey, I could always put in the date I receive my MacBook and say I thought that's what they meant by 'date of purchase.'

Did you try putting in the ACTUAL date of purchase? Maybe they're just trying to discourage giving out the discounted copies but will send it to you if you put in the right date.

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 7, 2007, 06:23 PM
does anyone know if the new iLife and iWork are in the retail stores yet? Or will I have to wait a few days?

briansanderson
Aug 7, 2007, 06:28 PM
does anyone know if the new iLife and iWork are in the retail stores yet? Or will I have to wait a few days?

I just picked up iLife and iworks at my local apple store in Indianapolis, IN.

coledog
Aug 7, 2007, 06:28 PM
I can't find any answer to this: is the new Mail 3.0 included in iLife 08? Along with the new calendar, etc...?

citi
Aug 7, 2007, 06:32 PM
I can't find any answer to this: is the new Mail 3.0 included in iLife 08? Along with the new calendar, etc...?

no. mail and ical are apart of the OS. You have to wait for Leopard for the new versions

GenesisST
Aug 7, 2007, 06:40 PM
Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but if I buy iLife 08 from the Apple store, do I have to wait to receive the box or can I download it?

Thanks!

randyg
Aug 7, 2007, 06:42 PM

System Requirements

QuickTime 7.2 or later

Well to answer my own question, iMovie '08 is NOT compatible with anything less than a G5. While installing iLife '08 it informed me that iMovie would not be installed but all other apps would be. Bummer! Also, after install iDVD and iWeb both crash when I try to open them.

PlaceofDis
Aug 7, 2007, 06:43 PM
Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but if I buy iLife 08 from the Apple store, do I have to wait to receive the box or can I download it?

Thanks!

box. its much too large for downloading.

johngordon
Aug 7, 2007, 06:50 PM

That's exactly what I thought - in the tour video it looked nice enough, but seemed odd without a more traditional timeline. And the way the music was draped over the video clips, it wasn't at all as obvious as to how you can edit the music tracks, or the transitions.

Mind you - G5 and above is quoted as min requirements for iMovie, so will have to wait until I replace the G4 with a new MBP next Spring...

iDVD didn't even get mentioned in the video tour (unless I missed it?), but the best thing I saw was that they've finally added in some alignment tools for the menu pages - that's really bugged me forever.

With iPhoto I wasn't sure about the events thing, as it didn't seem too different from anything you could do with smart folders etc - although the ability to group / name pics at the point of import seems a welcome addition. I did notice that the little calendar view icon was AWOL - hope that's still there, as I find it a really good way of quickly finding pics if I know when they were taken.

Aeolius
Aug 7, 2007, 06:57 PM
Did anyone else see this:
http://images.apple.com/ilife/garageband/images/garageband_gallery03_20070807.jpg

and immediately think of this:
http://monsterfeet.com/1mhz/files/jam_session/jam_session3.gif

Now, if only Magic GarageBand would let us play musical chickens like Jam Session for the IIgs did! :D

Multimedia
Aug 7, 2007, 07:26 PM
No doubt iLife '08 is the real star of today. Amazing improvements make the old suites look really out of date. :)

iW00t
Aug 7, 2007, 07:36 PM
Err, is this legal? Aren't you just falsifying the purchase date? Where did the 2-week window come from? This basically means anyone can say they bought their machine on Aug 7th and qualify? Sounds sketchy to me.

I tried it too using my 6 week old MacBook Pro...

Maui
Aug 7, 2007, 07:38 PM
No doubt iLife '08 is the real star of today. Amazing improvements make the old suites look really out of date. :)

I agree. I am sitting here playing with iPhoto. I use Aperture instead of iPhoto to manage my photos, but this new "events" tool is pretty compelling. It is how I keep my photos anyway -- in folders by event. You can do this in Aperture with projects or folders, etc., but events are easier to use. I wonder if they have improved the handling of very large libraries, ~30K photos.

Multimedia
Aug 7, 2007, 07:41 PM
Looks like Steve is born again on AVCHD - particularly the new Panasonic model for $799. The Video of his presentation (http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/r27842e/event/index.html?test=q1wa2sz3x) reveals a lot none of us could read today. I recommend watching the whole thing.

pgwalsh
Aug 7, 2007, 07:42 PM
I"m actually looking forward to giving iWork a try. Too bad they don't have a demo for download

aristobrat
Aug 7, 2007, 07:52 PM
I"m actually looking forward to giving iWork a try. Too bad they don't have a demo for download
http://www.apple.com/iwork/trial/

numlock
Aug 7, 2007, 07:56 PM
Id just like to repeat what others have said that imove seems to have lost features or functionality which concerns me. Perhaps there are ways of editing the movie somewhere in there just not shown but it seemed to be about the library first and foremost and not titles, transitions and effects. Im looking at their website and it appears that you cant edit the audio level of a clip as you please.

Also why completely change a fine app, which of course needed an upgrade, because an employee couldnt create a movie in the incredible amount of 30 minutes?

But it looks quite good in my opinion.

pgwalsh
Aug 7, 2007, 07:57 PM
http://www.apple.com/iwork/trial/

Thanks! ;)

None Such
Aug 7, 2007, 08:36 PM
I just called apple and the rep said confidently that any mac that was ordered online but didn't ship yet will come with iLife 08. I hope he's right.

I really hope this is correct. And I kind of thought it might be. I ordered my Macbook Pro and it was scheduled to ship Aug 6th-9th, It didn't ship Monday and I thought there might be hope. Then today the store was down and right when it came up my order status said "prepared for shipping" when before it said "not shipped yet". That was a big clue for me. Or one hell of coincidence.

iW00t
Aug 7, 2007, 08:50 PM

I told them to send it to Sosumi@my home address btw :rolleyes:

yblanco
Aug 7, 2007, 09:18 PM
My Macbook Pro was purchased on July 18. I also filled up the up-to-date. Let's see what happens. In the worst case they will charge full price and then I will return it unless they agree that at least 30 days of grace should be given.Come on Apple give us a break

superleccy
Aug 7, 2007, 09:40 PM
Agreed, I'm worried too. The new interface looks great, particularly the organising of movies into an iPhoto-style catalog, and I like the YouTube intergation too. But unless it's got the power of iMovie HD, then I can't upgrade.

Even worse: importing old projects from iMovie HD is not fully supported (from the tutorials) http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/#imovie-oneplace-9:

'importing an iMovie HD project will remove all custom transitions and effects, titles and any music added to your project !!' :mad::mad:

Does anybody know if it's possible to install iMovie 08 next to iMovie HD?
Now that's a shocker.

Now I definitely want to install iMovie '08 alongsde iMovie HD. I really hope it's possible. :eek:

EDIT: According to some people over at Apple Discussions (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1073559&tstart=0), iMovie 08 will co-exist with your previous version of iMovie.

SL

superleccy
Aug 7, 2007, 09:53 PM

I am in a similar situation. I bought a new MBP just 3 weeks ago.

And you know what... the more I read about iMovie 08, the more I am glad that I didn't wait until now to buy my MBP! :cool: :)

SL

vansouza
Aug 7, 2007, 10:00 PM
Come on... it's less then $80.00. What would the house of M$ be charging for this stellar software? I think we know their price structure.

djkindred
Aug 7, 2007, 10:03 PM

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but can someone link the Online Upgrade Form site please.

MrSmith
Aug 7, 2007, 10:12 PM
Just to echo those questioning the editing functions within the new iMovie, watching the video I felt way outside my comfort zone...

Afterthought: So, if I've absorbed this all correctly, this means I no longer need to use iWeb to put up pages of photos. I can just use Web Gallery. Are there any downsides to using WG over iWeb for photo only sites?

ghall
Aug 7, 2007, 10:58 PM
Come on... it's less then $80.00. What would the house of M$ be charging for this stellar software? I think we know their price structure.

Plus they'd have iLife Standard Edition, iLife Ultimate Edition, iLife Super Duper Ultimate Godly Not For Mere Mortals Edition, etc. :)

SWC
Aug 7, 2007, 11:15 PM
As others have mentioned you agreed to what software you would get when you placed the order. Apple does not owe you anything. They aren't obligated to give you the software because you bought Friday. Hell if you bisit any kind of general electronics blog and since you're a member here I'm sure you knew there was a special event today you should have waited if it was a big deal.

Abusing the system with upgrades for a computer you bought a month ago only helps to screw the honest people next time when apple will start requiring proof of purchase because of all the greedy ba**ards

rikahlberg
Aug 7, 2007, 11:25 PM

I picked up both iLife '08 and iWork '08 at the Apple Store at the Chestnut Hill Mall (Chestnut Hill, MA, just west of Boston) tonight around 7:30. They had many boxes and a number of other people were asking about it an the new iMacs (no iMacs on the floor yet, though).

Sending pictures from the iPhone to a .Mac web gallery isn't working yet, at least not for the galleries I set up tonight :(

javaGuru
Aug 7, 2007, 11:35 PM
Anyone know if iWeb's blogging capabilities have been upgraded at all? Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried the feature that allows iPhone users to upload photos to .mac web galleries.

Mac One
Aug 7, 2007, 11:36 PM
For me this isn't really that important as there isn't a new app. It's still a good refresh though - I suppose with the work on iWork and .Mac they were a bit stretched to make iLife '08 perfect. It's kind of stink how if you buy a new mac in the near future that desn't have iLife '08 you have to pay $10.

chaird
Aug 7, 2007, 11:42 PM
Damn I just got my macbook pro last week calling apple tommorow to see if at least can get 9.95 upgrade.

bmoseley07
Aug 7, 2007, 11:44 PM
box. its much too large for downloading.

Really? That's weird, because they have a trial of iWork 08 online right now and Adobe allows you download a whole suite. Seems odd that Apple couldn't do this either. Are you sure about that?

germ war
Aug 7, 2007, 11:57 PM
$600 for an iPhone, $99 for a year subscription to .Mac, and they can't just throw in the ability to upload photos directly from one to the other without having to spend another $79 on iLife? No thanks.

robPOD
Aug 7, 2007, 11:59 PM
Looks really awesome, ashame no new iPods though.

iW00t
Aug 8, 2007, 12:35 AM
$600 for an iPhone, $99 for a year subscription to .Mac, and they can't just throw in the ability to upload photos directly from one to the other without having to spend another $79 on iLife? No thanks.

Then you have just spent $699 and not gain the ability to upload photos directly from your iPhone to your .Mac

Would you rather your $699 investment to be wasted and not used to its fullest potentially or would you rather cut off your own nose to spite your own face as a matter of principle?

$79 is cheap for the software Apple delivers anyway.

BigPrince
Aug 8, 2007, 12:43 AM
We waited until August for this? Why couldn't they have this ready in January?

The update is nice, but could of happened a lot sooner.

dummptyhummpty
Aug 8, 2007, 01:11 AM
Gasp! I can't wait for school to start so I can pick up iLife/iWork with my student discount. I guess i'll reimport all my photos back into iPhoto as I would like to take advantage of those new features. WOOT!

powerbook911
Aug 8, 2007, 01:22 AM
Gasp! I can't wait for school to start so I can pick up iLife/iWork with my student discount. I guess i'll reimport all my photos back into iPhoto as I would like to take advantage of those new features. WOOT!

Order online, and you shouldn't need any proof. Click education on the right side of the Apple online store. Just select your school.

gauchogolfer
Aug 8, 2007, 01:27 AM
iMovie looks pretty great to me. Plus, the news about AVCHD makes me look much harder at that format.

Sweet.

Lixivial
Aug 8, 2007, 01:30 AM
I can honestly say that this is the first time in the history of iLife's existence that I can say "I want this," and "I can really see myself using this extensively." I used to tinker around with it when the apps were available for free and the suite bundled with my MacBook, but it always felt like a gimmick. I never liked iMovie, and iPhoto has been an on/off again relationship. I've only recently been re-pushed into iPhoto by my iPhone purchase.

Steve's demo of iMovie and iPhoto really blew me away, and the .Mac Web Gallery looks very cool. These three features have sold me, and I will be picking it up as soon as possible. The collaboration functions on the .mac Web Gallery is just insanely great.

thajeztah
Aug 8, 2007, 02:30 AM
Now I definitely want to install iMovie '08 alongsde iMovie HD. I really hope it's possible. :eek:

According to some people over at Apple Discussions (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1073559&tstart=0), iMovie 08 will co-exist with your previous version of iMovie.

SL

Oh I Can't express how happy I am with that! I mean, I -do- like the inventive, new way of quickly creating a movie with the new iMovie 08, but I look at it as a quick way to set up an initial composition. After that, I would switch to timeline mode and finish the details (edit audio fades, sync movieclips to music).

It looks like it's only possible to use out-of-the-box, pre-fabricated Titles and Transitions, no creativity of your own. Effects are completely gone? People that have bought iMovie effect-plugins will be very dissapointed..

OS X Dude
Aug 8, 2007, 02:45 AM
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but will the new products, specifically iLife and the new keyboard, be available in the UK Apple Stores from tomorrow? Was planning on going to the Meadowhall store.

Alistair.

That store owns - the Bullring one is too cramped and Meadowhall is a good center anyhoo. Specially nice to get one of them Costa ice chocolate drinks after getting a Mac!

How many Americans have I confused there d'ya reckon? lol (no offence, I'm looking to move to the US someday)

kepardue
Aug 8, 2007, 03:08 AM
With this new version of iMovie, do you guys see it being easy (or more appropriate: possible) to do something along the lines of showing video of someone speaking, overlay that with video or photos, and then come back to the video of them speaking? I do a lot of genealogical video interviews with relatives, and sometimes it's nice to overlay their speech with a photo or supporting video to what they're talking about.

From what I've seen of the new iMovie, it really wouldn't lend itself to this sort of thing.

Also, how does it index the other video files? From other iMovie files? When capturing a video, will it continue to place the video inside of an iMovie file and then index that in the library, or will it place the dv file independent of the iMovie file?

MrSmith
Aug 8, 2007, 03:19 AM
With this new version of iMovie, do you guys see it being easy (or more appropriate: possible) to do something along the lines of showing video of someone speaking, overlay that with video or photos, and then come back to the video of them speaking? I do a lot of genealogical video interviews with relatives, and sometimes it's nice to overlay their speech with a photo or supporting video to what they're talking about.

From what I've seen of the new iMovie, it really wouldn't lend itself to this sort of thing...

You mean extracting audio? Not according to this thread (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1073559&tstart=0) from Apple discussions:

This is certainly interesting. iMovie '08 is clearly an all new and different application, not an upgrade from iMovie '06. Based on playing with it for a short while, it is much better in managing your clips and assembling clips into a movie, but weaker on the editing side.

much, much better in keeping track of your clips, and assembling them into a movie. This part is really nice.

Clips now show as a series of slides instead of one large box with a single tiny slide in the middle. Nice.

You can scrub (i.e. moving around a clip with the mouse) blazingly fast, and you hear audio while you do that. Very nice.

new video effects for cropping and rotating. Very nice.

all the basic video adjustments (adjust color or brightness) are still there, but all the real video effects like Earthquake, Fog, Flash etc. are gone

no themes

no concept of audio and video tracks. No more extracting of audio, or dragging the audio clips to make up for an audio/video sync problem. Volume adjustments can only be done on the whole clip.

much easier to apply titles and subtitles.

tighter integration for sharing with iTunes, Apple TV, YouTube etc. You can even remove previously shared movies from within iMovie.

for new projects, you only choose the aspect ratio (3:2, 4:3, 16:9), not the resolution or encoding (i.e. no more DV/HDV/MPEG-4 choices).

You can import MPEG-2 clips directly from a USB connected DVD camcorder. Just plug it in, and a window with your clips pops up. It appears that these clips get copied directly into your project, without re-encoding to DV.

You still cannot import MPEG-2 clips from your hard disk or a DVD in the local drive.

Those are just the basics. You could probably write a whole book on all the other things that are different.

Queso
Aug 8, 2007, 03:42 AM
Looks like I'll be keeping my old iMovie to be honest. I'll be buying this just for the Garageband improvements (real arrangements feature, woo hoo!!) and extra iDVD themes, but iMovie '05 will do me for the video editing.

ScottDrummer
Aug 8, 2007, 04:17 AM
Its prolly been asked already, but i dont have time to read the whole thread.
but has anyone got iMovie working on a G4, my gf has a G4 PB and wondered if it will run.

Cheers

ziggyonice
Aug 8, 2007, 04:21 AM
if anyone has any ideas as to why garageband and idvd are crashing immediately upon starting them, let me know :confused:

Alistair1990
Aug 8, 2007, 04:33 AM
That store owns - the Bullring one is too cramped and Meadowhall is a good center anyhoo. Specially nice to get one of them Costa ice chocolate drinks after getting a Mac!

How many Americans have I confused there d'ya reckon? lol (no offence, I'm looking to move to the US someday)

Yeh it is a good store, although half of Meadowhal - like the whole ground floor - is still closed from the flooding. And 2 hours away by public transport frm Huddersfield is a drag :mad:

P.S. to answer my own question, just called the store and they have the new iMacs, iLife etc in stock so looks like I'm off to the train station soon. :cool:

Queso
Aug 8, 2007, 04:49 AM
if anyone has any ideas as to why garageband and idvd are crashing immediately upon starting them, let me know :confused:
At a guess I'd say you need to go into the Library/Preferences folder in your Home directory and trash the Garageband and iDVD preferences files.

Do the Repair Permissions thing too if you haven't already.

johngordon
Aug 8, 2007, 05:39 AM
Can anyone let me know if iPhoto still has the calendar view?

Always found it very useful for finding photos if you know when they were taken, but couldn't see it on the video tour.

Cheers.

numlock
Aug 8, 2007, 05:56 AM
if i bought a mac either now or when leopard comes with the new ilife installed could i install imovie 06?

it seems they have totally cut of third party plugins in the new imovie

Foxglove9
Aug 8, 2007, 05:59 AM
but has anyone got iMovie working on a G4, my gf has a G4 PB and wondered if it will run.

The best I ever tried was iMovie 2 on my old G4 (upgraded) sawtooth. Made a short film with it, and other than a few audio sync problems (might have been our fault) it worked fine.

I just bought a new mac about a month ago, and yeah I would have liked the new iLife as an upgrade (they should offer a 30 day upgrade), but I'm not losing any sleep over it. The software is pretty cheap anyway.

nine
Aug 8, 2007, 06:16 AM
I had a friend go to the Apple store just now & he told me that iMovie is not compatible with pre Intel Powerbooks.
Make sure you know if you have G4 Powerbook.

PlaceofDis
Aug 8, 2007, 06:18 AM
Really? That's weird, because they have a trial of iWork 08 online right now and Adobe allows you download a whole suite. Seems odd that Apple couldn't do this either. Are you sure about that?

yeah. its at least 3gb.
iDVD and GarageBand are known to be some HUGE apps.

lukechip
Aug 8, 2007, 06:49 AM

I've just watched the guided tour, and I am very concerned about this too. Currently an iMovie '04 user, I've been holding off upgrading. Now I see that all the detailed editing skills I've honed over the years, and thought I could continue to use, are likely to be useless. iMovie 08 looks to have dumbed down the Movie creation process to the lowest common denominator. Not sure about these for sure, but my fears:

-no way to have different audio levels within a single track
-no way to extract audio from movies
-no way to have multiple audio tracks on top of each other
-frame by frame counter doesn't seem to be there, so aligning sounds and frames will be impossible. There goes lip sync.... One of my main movie styles is to extract the audio out of a clip, then split the video up and intersperse still photos with the motion picture. Make for an efficient way to show movies / pics and have the narration at the same time. But being able to specify exactly how many frames to make still pics last for, and how many frames to chop, is essential for the lip sync.....
-can you still create a still picture from a frame of a movie ?

I've got to get into my local store and check out whether iMovie 08 is as lame as the guide made it look.....

If it is, then Apple have really disappointed me. Their biggest overhaul took a useful tool that required some brain power to use, and has turned it into a much less useful tool that may appeal to the masses....

The support articles are reinforcing my fears....

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1073559&tstart=0

hajime
Aug 8, 2007, 07:07 AM
Does the latest iWeb allow users to add meta names easily?

philipz
Aug 8, 2007, 07:23 AM
Are there any examples around already for .Mac web galleries? Seems like a cool feature, but I want to know how it behaves with older browsers and browsers on different platforms.

Anyone?

MrSmith
Aug 8, 2007, 07:31 AM
One posted in a thread earlier. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4017672&postcount=678)
Loads very slooowly for me. How about you?

aafuss1
Aug 8, 2007, 07:37 AM
I think iMovie is even more beautiful-well worth the $99 upgrade (as I bought my Mac mini last year).

BlancheDubois
Aug 8, 2007, 08:13 AM
It's amazing how hypocritical some people can be. I'm sure you'd be thrilled if you missed the cut off by one day, (NOT ONE MONTH), too. I could not afford to wait for some press conference that MIGHT have been releasing new software.

I should at least be allowed to return the $79 iWork I purchased, but Apple won't even let me do that.

How are we cheating anybody? iLife is included with your new computer, after I've given Apple thousands of dollars of business, I don't think it's much to ask for an upgrade.

They give a grace period with new OS releases. Why should something like this be any different?

hyperlucid
Aug 8, 2007, 08:17 AM
The Garage Band update seems a bit weak to me. :rolleyes:

Apple could have at least thrown us a new Jam pack to complement this release.

I can't say I am very excited by iLife '08. I certainly wont be going out of my way to upgrade like I did with iLife '05 or '06.

Actually, it looks like they did include a new Jam Pack...

http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/jampacks/

Not sure how this will work, exactly -- all oohs and ahhs?

I think 80% of the upgrade looks to be good. But the new iMovie looks like a disaster for anyone who does more with video than uploading a simple clip to youtube (and how many skateboarding dogs are there in the world?). I can't believe they further dumbed down the audio capabilities. That was (originally) one of the best things about iMovie -- even in version 1 you could replace audio, use audio from one clip under another clip, sync in your own replacement dialogue, etc...you didn't HAVE to develop the skills to do this sort of thing, but the capability was always there. But alas, no more (apparently).

Frankly, I think the dumbing down of iMovie is actually intended to serve two purposes. 1. Dumb down the program for the masses. 2. Try to get editors with more know-how and skill to shell out the $ for Final Cut Express. In other words, the (software) party's over for no-budget video editors. Granted, FCE is still a hell of a value, and way more powerful and stable than any previous incarnation of iMovie.

It's not really a big deal to me, as I use Final Cut Pro, but I started on iMovie. BUT -- even as an "entry level program", if iMovie had been that simplistic regarding audio back when version 1 came out, I'm not sure if I would have stuck with it (and Apple).

aafuss1
Aug 8, 2007, 08:22 AM
Magic Garageband:a lot what I use in MAGIX Music Studio 12 combined with a virtual drummer, keyboard,etc.

No need for any add-ons.

Actually, it looks like they did include a new Jam Pack...

http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/jampacks/

Not sure how this will work, exactly -- all oohs and ahhs?

I think 80% of the upgrade looks to be good. But the new iMovie looks like a disaster for anyone who does more with video than uploading a simple clip to youtube (and how many skateboarding dogs are there in the world?). I can't believe they further dumbed down the audio capabilities. That was (originally) one of the best things about iMovie -- even in version 1 you could replace audio, use audio from one clip under another clip, sync in your own replacement dialogue, etc...you didn't HAVE to develop the skills to do this sort of thing, but the capability was always there. But alas, no more (apparently).

Frankly, I think the dumbing down of iMovie is actually intended to serve two purposes. 1. Dumb down the program for the masses. 2. Try to get editors with more know-how and skill to shell out the $ for Final Cut Express. In other words, the (software) party's over for no-budget video editors. Granted, FCE is still a hell of a value, and way more powerful and stable than any previous incarnation of iMovie.

It's not really a big deal to me, as I use Final Cut Pro, but I started on iMovie. BUT -- even as an "entry level program", if iMovie had been that simplistic regarding audio back when version 1 came out, I'm not sure if I would have stuck with it (and Apple).

I use a combination of Sound Pool from MAGIX (http://site.magix.net/english-us/home/music/soundpool-dvd-collection-12/subpage/203758/) and the jam packs.

I've just watched the guided tour, and I am very concerned about this too. Currently an iMovie '04 user, I've been holding off upgrading. Now I see that all the detailed editing skills I've honed over the years, and thought I could continue to use, are likely to be useless. iMovie 08 looks to have dumbed down the Movie creation process to the lowest common denominator. Not sure about these for sure, but my fears:

-no way to have different audio levels within a single track
-no way to extract audio from movies
-no way to have multiple audio tracks on top of each other
-frame by frame counter doesn't seem to be there, so aligning sounds and frames will be impossible. There goes lip sync.... One of my main movie styles is to extract the audio out of a clip, then split the video up and intersperse still photos with the motion picture. Make for an efficient way to show movies / pics and have the narration at the same time. But being able to specify exactly how many frames to make still pics last for, and how many frames to chop, is essential for the lip sync.....
-can you still create a still picture from a frame of a movie ?

I've got to get into my local store and check out whether iMovie 08 is as lame as the guide made it look.....

If it is, then Apple have really disappointed me. Their biggest overhaul took a useful tool that required some brain power to use, and has turned it into a much less useful tool that may appeal to the masses....

The support articles are reinforcing my fears....

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1073559&tstart=0

Me too-I'll check my Apple store (Next Byte), and see how it compares to '06:first version that I've owned.

I just picked up iLife and iworks at my local apple store in Indianapolis, IN.

Any Australian Apple resellers on the Gold Coast have it yet? I might pick my copy up soon.

Did anyone else see this:
http://images.apple.com/ilife/garageband/images/garageband_gallery03_20070807.jpg

and immediately think of this:
http://monsterfeet.com/1mhz/files/jam_session/jam_session3.gif

Now, if only Magic GarageBand would let us play musical chickens like Jam Session for the IIgs did! :D

A lot more cooler than Jam Session in MAGIX Music Studio (warning:a XP screenshot):
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7935/magixgb1.png

And no need for BFD or EZDrummer. Now only if Logic Express added that.

dizastor
Aug 8, 2007, 09:50 AM
EDIT: According to some people over at Apple Discussions (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1073559&tstart=0), iMovie 08 will co-exist with your previous version of iMovie.

iLife automatically preserves your old iMovie.
(I think they saw the backlash coming)

johnmcboston
Aug 8, 2007, 09:58 AM

I think this is the "we want you to buy final cut express" move. Hard to believe they REMOVED so many features from a tool...

I WAS the one
Aug 8, 2007, 10:05 AM

Is possible. Apple programmers doesn't know everything. Sometimes just one person can solve a team problem. I was reading iWoz (the book) and he writes about how his son discover the solution of the OS 9 crashing behavior and solve it for himself because he didn't know it was a big deal. Woz went to Apple to notify them but it was too late Apple was already buying NeXT OS to start from scratch.

germ war
Aug 8, 2007, 10:13 AM
Then you have just spent $699 and not gain the ability to upload photos directly from your iPhone to your .Mac

Would you rather your $699 investment to be wasted and not used to its fullest potentially or would you rather cut off your own nose to spite your own face as a matter of principle?

$79 is cheap for the software Apple delivers anyway.

Considering my .Mac was only renewed because I forgot to turn off automatic renewal, and I don't think the ability to upload photos from my phone to an online gallery is worth $79, and I have no use for any of the applications outside of iPhoto (which I already own, albeit an older version), I think I'll pass.

Kudos to you for drinking the kool-aid, though.

johnmcboston
Aug 8, 2007, 10:30 AM

"Next up: iMovie. This is really interesting. Let me tell you the story. One of our video engineers went to the Cayman Islands, shot a lot of underwater HD, wanted to make a video for his buddies in half an hour.

I'm still puzzled how he 'couldn't do it' in a half hour. What kind of engineers do they hire there? :) Maybe by taking editing features away form us, there are fewer decisions to make, so you can work faster if you have no choices??

Project
Aug 8, 2007, 11:11 AM
Kudos to you for drinking the kool-aid, though.

How about people finding value within the full feature set? Why do you have to assume that because you have little use for a product, everybody else must be the same?

aafuss1
Aug 8, 2007, 11:38 AM
I'm still puzzled how he 'couldn't do it' in a half hour. What kind of engineers do they hire there? :) Maybe by taking editing features away form us, there are fewer decisions to make, so you can work faster if you have no choices??

The library in iMovie is like a home version of Final Cut server.

ScottDrummer
Aug 8, 2007, 12:32 PM

lol, surely it took him more than half an hour to write, debug, test and release iMovie 08.

bpd115
Aug 8, 2007, 01:37 PM
Having not got my hands on iLife '08 yet, I'm excited to give it a try. I liked the old iMovie but it wasn't exactly a speed demon like the new version seems to be. However missing features is not very apple like and I am disappointed at it's lofty requirements. My Mac Pro and Macbook will be ok, but my wife's G4 mini, my mom's iMac G4, and even my dads 1.8 iMac G5 are left in the cold.

I know the installer app won't install iMovie if your system doesn't meet the requirements, but has anyone tried to copy the app over from a supported system to a G4 or Gen A iMac G5?

jigspanchal
Aug 8, 2007, 02:12 PM
This might be talked about before, but if you buy Leopard when it comes out, would iLife '08 come with it, or would you have to buy it seperately anyways

BlackDan
Aug 8, 2007, 02:16 PM
This might be talked about before, but if you buy Leopard when it comes out, would iLife '08 come with it, or would you have to buy it seperately anyways

the OS never comes with iLife. iLife comes with a new Mac. If you want iLife, you'l have to buy it seperately (or - as I said - get a new Mac ;) )

zorinlynx
Aug 8, 2007, 02:23 PM
Anyone know if iMovie '08 supports HD-DV 24p video?

This Canon camcorder here can record 24p HDDV and I'd love to be able to import and work with that properly.

Any ideas?

johnmcboston
Aug 8, 2007, 02:35 PM
lol, surely it took him more than half an hour to write, debug, test and release iMovie 08.

Now he makes the movie in under a half hour. But it still takes over 2 hours to encode and burn on his DVD. :) Or are DVDs old fashioned now?

BlackDan
Aug 8, 2007, 02:39 PM
Now he makes the movie in under a half hour. But it still takes over 2 hours to encode and burn on his DVD. :) Or are DVDs old fashioned now?

yeah, he probably shares them via a .mac account or youtube :D

squirrellydw
Aug 8, 2007, 03:35 PM
Has anyone tried installing iMovie on an old mac? It says you have to have a iMac G5 with a 1.9GHz, I have an iMac G5 1.8GHz and was woundering if I can install it?

Please let me know.

thanks

sososowhat
Aug 8, 2007, 03:37 PM
Can anyone let me know if iPhoto still has the calendar view?

Always found it very useful for finding photos if you know when they were taken, but couldn't see it on the video tour.

Cheers.
It's now buried under search. Click on the spotlight icon to the left of the search box on the bottom & select Date. Personally, I preferred the old way. A nice improvement would have been to allow typing eg "May 2005" into the search box (it doesn't work).

"Events" is very nice and I love the scrolling through w/o opening the event (very 10.5!). But why didn't they extend the metaphor to regular albums -- with Key Photo preview or tree-view options? Also, why can't one create a folder of events (Trips: below them all Trip events) like you can with Albums. Also couple other things. I don't know what algorithm it uses to come up with the initial Events. My 34,500 photos were arranged into 303 events. Some just one photo. Another with 4000, spanning all of 2004. When "Merging" two Events, you lose whatever titles you might have given which is aggravating.

Also, the Web Gallery has beautiful Carrousel, Grid and Mosaic views (see http://gallery.mac.com/emily_parker#100380&bgcolor=black). Why didn't this make it into iPhoto itself?

There are nice features, but it feels more kludged together than it should.

Mac-Xpert
Aug 8, 2007, 04:42 PM

Hopefully it's all still in there somewhere.That's exactly what I was thinking too. At first I was impressed with how easy you could trim the clips and put a short movie together real fast. But later I realized I never saw any timeline editing option anywhere. When creating longer movies you really will need a timeline editing option to create things like musictrack with multiple songs that crossfade etc. But maybe it's still there. :confused:

ScottDrummer
Aug 8, 2007, 05:43 PM
is it me or are there no editing features whatsoever in iMovie, its like too basic, it looks incomplete as far as a video editing program, a rushed job as far as im concerned, very dissapointed with iMovie.

iPhoto - preview and slideshow no longer seems to work with raw (.orf) files, it just produces a ?. although you can view the pics fine in events and double clicking on them.

skunk
Aug 8, 2007, 05:50 PM
I think it's a real pain that you have to buy the whole bundle. I don't have a movie camera, so both iMovie and iDVD are pretty much useless, I don't want GarageBand or iWeb, and iTunes is free. So all I get out of iLife is iPhoto, which is really not worth the money.

Gaelic1
Aug 8, 2007, 07:33 PM
I always thought that the iMac was the best looking desktop outthere but Apple managed to make even better looking. A lot of you complain about the chin but I've always liked it, I dare anyone to find a better looking desktop outthere. Price is not too bad but I wish it had 2GB RAM standard.
Well you can go to OWC and buy 4 Gb of ram for $233 and get a rebate for your 1 GB that came with the iMac. Not a bad way to go.:D

Maui
Aug 8, 2007, 08:22 PM
But I don't think this is an evil ploy from Apple to make the more advanced iMovie users upgrade to Final Cut Express - even it that turns out to be the side-effect - which could be a nice little earner for Apple.

I think they've just looked at the market, and decided on a calculated gamble on satisfying the "ease of use" crowd over the "semi-serious" crowd.

I think that is right. This is about pulling users from the Windows world -- "a 5 minute movie? Try that on Windows." Bet they have already filmed that in the next PC Man vs. Mac Man ad.

lukechip
Aug 8, 2007, 11:12 PM
Yikes people. iMovie '06 is free, so you get what you needed. iMovie '08 is a brand new program, a 1.0. new icon and all. I'm sure Apple knows what issues are involved with this new program, especially after we have been spoiled by iLife of the past. They're working on it, just takes time. In the meantime we have iMovie '06 available.

Though Carousel and Mosaic would be some great features for iPhoto...

I concede that my reaction was somewhat knee jerk. However, I'd have liked Apple to be more transparent with what they were doing, and explained in the Aug 7 event and/or the guide movie that iMovie was no longer intended to do what it used to do, but that iMovie HD would be provided to all '08 users who wanted it.

Now the big question is whether iMovie HD has become abandonware, and if the more advanced functionality will return to a later version of the new iMovie.... From what I've seen of iMovie HD in '06, I'll be happy using it for many years to come. I'm still using '04 !!!

aafuss1
Aug 8, 2007, 11:18 PM
No more need to use CatDV (http://www.squarebox.co.uk/products.html) as iMovie now offers a library.

Apple legal would ask sites to remove its software

OS X Dude
Aug 9, 2007, 03:28 AM
So both iLife and iWork 08 are installed in the Apple Stores you say?

I know one practical use for my 16GB USB key now!!!!

Also, how long before they're on Limewire do you reckon?

OS X Dude
Aug 9, 2007, 03:35 AM
Anyone know if iMovie '08 supports HD-DV 24p video?

This Canon camcorder here can record 24p HDDV and I'd love to be able to import and work with that properly.

Any ideas?

A quick Google search says "Yeeees" (like that Little Britain guy lol)

However, it also said that - because it's so high quality - the data transfer is 150mbps, so they wholeheartedly recommended using a FireWire 800 port to transfer the data. I'm sure 400 would work though, just take that little bit longer.

Queso
Aug 9, 2007, 03:40 AM
So both iLife and iWork 08 are installed in the Apple Stores you say?

Ha ha. You complete and utter cheapskate :p

superleccy
Aug 9, 2007, 04:12 AM
Yay you! When you try and rip-off the software, I hope you miss a bit and end up with something semi-functional at best. Or even better, I hope security throw you out of the store and ban you.
Are you asking that question because you genuinely don't know the answer and think the MacRumors forums users here have a better idea than you? Or are you trying to score some sort of teenage kudos-points by saying "look at me, I rip off all my software I'm so cooooool!!!11!!1!!lollollol".

Here's an idea: upload it yourself to Limewire from your 16GB key, then all the other thieving cheapskates will get a half-working copy too.

One more thing... if you can afford a 16GB USB key, how come you can't afford to pay for iLife '08? Or did you steal your 16GB USB key as well?

HTH
SL

aafuss1
Aug 9, 2007, 05:40 AM
is it me or are there no editing features whatsoever in iMovie, its like too basic, it looks incomplete as far as a video editing program, a rushed job as far as im concerned, very dissapointed with iMovie.

iPhoto - preview and slideshow no longer seems to work with raw (.orf) files, it just produces a ?. although you can view the pics fine in events and double clicking on them.

It's being more like a Adobe Premiere Elements style program.

nystigmus
Aug 9, 2007, 08:00 AM

1.) No, those new install disks will most likely not work as they might be architecture dependent (aka intel only, just a posibility)

2.) Tiger never shipped with iLife. Check it out. Go do an erase and install and check out all the iLife fun you won't be having.

Lesser Evets
Aug 9, 2007, 08:35 AM
iMovie doesn't look rushed, it just looks over simplified for 'average people'... Hope the have a timeline view. Having done timeline editing for a decade I can't imagine this new style of editing being very precise.

But it sure makes a movie quick. McMovie.

AaronM58
Aug 9, 2007, 04:56 PM
Check out my story on how I got iLife '08 & iWork '08 for free via Apple Customer Service!!!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=339764

OS X Dude
Aug 10, 2007, 04:13 AM
Yay you! When you try and rip-off the software, I hope you miss a bit and end up with something semi-functional at best. Or even better, I hope security throw you out of the store and ban you.

Are you asking that question because you genuinely don't know the answer and think the MacRumors forums users here have a better idea than you? Or are you trying to score some sort of teenage kudos-points by saying "look at me, I rip off all my software I'm so cooooool!!!11!!1!!lollollol".

Here's an idea: upload it yourself to Limewire from your 16GB key, then all the other thieving cheapskates will get a half-working copy too.

One more thing... if you can afford a 16GB USB key, how come you can't afford to pay for iLife '08? Or did you steal your 16GB USB key as well?

HTH
SL

Ever heard of sarcasm? I don't intend to copy or Limewire either (Limewire would take eons to download them) pieces of software. If I was that cheap I'd use Linux lol

No, I got that key as a crimbo present from my grandad.

I will be heading on over to the Meadowhall Store to get both of those pieces of software and a .Mac sub now you can have personal domains and the space has been given a boost.

So...NAH!!!

pengu
Aug 10, 2007, 06:08 AM
so i can't believe that no one has made mention of the fact that iPhoto '08 has the same blue scrollbars as iTunes!?

is this a sign that they share something - perhaps a custom scrolling component to handle 10s or 100s of thousands of items that a normal carbon/cocoa scrolling doodad won't handle well [under tiger?] and they have this style because leopard will have it (but then why wouldn't they make it match for now and then update for 10.5???)

Queso
Aug 10, 2007, 06:10 AM
so i can't believe that no one has made mention of the fact that iPhoto '08 has the same blue scrollbars as iTunes!?

is this a sign that they share something - perhaps a custom scrolling component to handle 10s or 100s of thousands of items that a normal carbon/cocoa scrolling doodad won't handle well [under tiger?] and they have this style because leopard will have it (but then why wouldn't they make it match for now and then update for 10.5???)
I believe from looking at it that CoverFlow is being used as the basis for the interface, same as in iTunes. Apple are starting to use that in a big way, so it would make sense.