PDA

View Full Version : iTunes UK Movies and TV Soon?

MacRumors
Aug 8, 2007, 12:21 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Arstechnica reports (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/08/07/source-tv-and-movies-coming-to-itunes-uk-this-month) that according to "trusted sources", Apple plans on introducing Movies and TV shows for iTunes UK in a matter of weeks.

According to Ars, everything is set up and ready to go and is "just a matter of flipping the switch".

No details on which shows or movies would be available.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/08/itunes-uk-movies-and-tv-soon/)

Blue Velvet
Aug 8, 2007, 12:22 PM
About bloody time... Corrie on iTunes, anyone? ;)

xUKHCx
Aug 8, 2007, 12:22 PM
Hopefully the Beeb will get involved and channel 4. Although 4 already has 40D.

Dagless
Aug 8, 2007, 12:28 PM
Hopefully BBC shows will be free, but I can't see Apple being all for that.

Already have an EyeTV but this could be cool.

Applespider
Aug 8, 2007, 12:30 PM
Interesting. I wonder if this is why the BBC are saying that there will be access to an iPlayer for Macs in September.

nebsta
Aug 8, 2007, 12:31 PM
This is excellent news. Apple TV is now actually useful!

cupique
Aug 8, 2007, 12:34 PM
Now that movies and series are coming to iTunes in Europe, what do you think happens in non english speaking countries? How are subtitles handled?

TheChillPill
Aug 8, 2007, 12:34 PM

BBC shows would have to be free, if they are offered at all. The licence fee prevents them charging for shows we would receive for free otherwise.

Plus, given the whole iplayer thing, there would be a complete uproar (given the fact it only works on windows - therefore meaning Mac users would effectively be seen to be paying a 'mac tax' to watch them).

bigandy
Aug 8, 2007, 12:37 PM
Interesting. I wonder if this is why the BBC are saying that there will be access to an iPlayer for Macs in September.

i thought they hadn't set a date :confused:

i've got the iPlayer on boot camp, but it's not all it's cracked up to be, methinks. needs a bit of work.

mainstreetmark
Aug 8, 2007, 12:39 PM
Wait.... this isn't about the iPhone?

nebsta
Aug 8, 2007, 12:39 PM
BBC shows would have to be free, if they are offered at all. The licence fee prevents them charging for shows we would receive for free otherwise.

Plus, given the whole iplayer thing, there would be a complete uproar (given the fact it only works on windows - therefore meaning Mac users would effectively be seen to be paying a 'mac tax' to watch them).

It costs money to watch BBC shows on BT Vision as they are provided by BBC Worldwide (the commercial arm).

PumaGuy
Aug 8, 2007, 12:41 PM

That and Doctor Who and i'll be all set :)

AndyR
Aug 8, 2007, 12:43 PM
About time! :)

DAC47
Aug 8, 2007, 12:48 PM

They can charge for shows, they charge for DVD's what's the difference?

mac2thefuture
Aug 8, 2007, 12:51 PM
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/08/apple_uk_set_to_flick_the_switch_on_itunes_movie_downloads.html

mac 2005
Aug 8, 2007, 12:52 PM

Already have an EyeTV but this could be cool.

Hard to say because some of the file sizes can be quite large, but Apple currently hosts a large number of free video and audio podcasts -- on the U.S. site anyway -- so I wouldn't rule it out.

TheChillPill
Aug 8, 2007, 01:00 PM
It costs money to watch BBC shows on BT Vision as they are provided by BBC Worldwide (the commercial arm).

I haven't seen BT Vision, so not sure how it's set up, but are they old shows or current shows (i.e replays of whatever was on last night). I was almost certain the BBC couldn't charge for something we already pay for, and if they are, then it's bang out of order in my view.

They can charge for shows, they charge for DVD's what's the difference?

Well, thats different because you actually get a tangible product for your money.

Neerazan
Aug 8, 2007, 01:00 PM
BBC shows would have to be free, if they are offered at all. The licence fee prevents them charging for shows we would receive for free otherwise...

That's not exactly true, as the BBC does sell DVDs of it's shows on a commercial basis in the UK. iTunes Store is just another way of selling that content, so they can charge what they like.

Dagless
Aug 8, 2007, 01:11 PM
That and Doctor Who and i'll be all set :)

This is what is confusing. Doctor Who DVDs contain 2-3 episodes and cost the same as any other DVD in the high street. Why would the BBC have them on iTunes for free?

What about channels that bought repeats of Who, like UKTV Gold (or whatever they're called), they've been airing not too old BBC shows. I can't imagine them being happy...

calculus
Aug 8, 2007, 01:12 PM

Ooh, yes please!

bilbo--baggins
Aug 8, 2007, 01:15 PM
About time, but let's hope they do it right - a good selection and not just UK specific content. The iTunes store for music was initially very limited when started in the UK, and even now there is stuff I would like that's on the US site that isn't listed on the UK site.

jimN
Aug 8, 2007, 01:16 PM
I haven't seen BT Vision, so not sure how it's set up, but are they old shows or current shows (i.e replays of whatever was on last night). I was almost certain the BBC couldn't charge for something we already pay for, and if they are, then it's bang out of order in my view.

I don't see why they can't charge for something. The iPlayer allows you to watch shows broadcast within the last 7 days. I would rather have the option of paying to own higher quality versions of that content to watch at my leisure and to view how I want to - ie on an iPod, apple TV or the iPhone (when it finally appears). Similarly I'd be happy to do this for some of their radio stuff too, and they could certainly make a lot of their back catalogue available for distribution in this manner. They recently took the Now Show podcast off its trial and when I emailed them about this I pointed out that I'd be happy to pay a small fee to have something like this to listen to at my convenience (currently it's on listen again but you have to be online and the quality is poorer than it was). The tone of their reply suggested that payment might not be out of the question.

The license fee as it stands does not include allowing the license payer to download digital content to use as they see fit and to therefore expect the BBC to provide shows for free is unreasonable (although that's not to say it would be unwelcome). I hope that they can get all the terrestrial broadcasters on board as none of their current solutions support the Mac.

ANTMUZ
Aug 8, 2007, 01:22 PM
About time! I reckon other iTunes stores will also see an upgrade - HD all round! I'm sure the BBC could offer some shows for free, maybe they'll come up with an agreement with Apple to use its DRM if the BBC hosts the shows on their servers - a bit like the way podcasts work currently.

TheChillPill
Aug 8, 2007, 01:24 PM
and they could certainly make a lot of their back catalogue available for distribution in this manner.

I agree that this would be worthwhile and I'd likely be prepared to pay for some of that content.

Having looked in to this a little more, it does seem I was wrong regarding the restrictions on the licence - my apologies.

I do feel however that we should have an 'opt out' on the licence fee now - i.e if you download or use iptv instead of terrestrial, you shouldn't have to pay the licence fee. However, thats probably a discussion for another thread.

eenu
Aug 8, 2007, 01:25 PM
about dam time!

Schtumple
Aug 8, 2007, 01:27 PM
finally, making the :apple:tv a worth investment, now all i need is a big flatscreen tv, *****...

JPark
Aug 8, 2007, 01:36 PM
About bloody time... ;)

Or in true Old English tradition, Huzzah! :D

zedsdead
Aug 8, 2007, 01:38 PM
it would be nice if Apple released 720p HD Downloads with this as well.

paquetja
Aug 8, 2007, 01:44 PM
argh!!! what about Canada??? I know we all live in igloos so our internet service sucks, but the 6 of us that live in houses and actually own a computer thingy with internets would love to buy movies and tv shows from the itunes internets

sorry...forget the "eh?"

signed a very frustrated Canadian :apple: enthusiast

Porchland
Aug 8, 2007, 01:58 PM
Now that movies and series are coming to iTunes in Europe, what do you think happens in non english speaking countries? How are subtitles handled?

Will there be a preferences setting maybe? I seem to recall seeing something in a QuickTime update a while back about multiple subtitle support.

(Also, isn't dubbed audio more prevalent than subtitles in most non-English-speaking countries?)

BillyBobBongo
Aug 8, 2007, 02:00 PM
finally, making the :apple:tv a worth investment, now all i need is a big flatscreen tv, *****...

Those Samsung one's are pretty reasonably priced IMO.....but yeah....finally!

princigalli
Aug 8, 2007, 02:02 PM
That's good news for the UK. I hope that after the UK they will come to Europe.

eenu
Aug 8, 2007, 02:06 PM
argh!!! what about Canada??? I know we all live in igloos so our internet service sucks, but the 6 of us that live in houses and actually own a computer thingy with internets would love to buy movies and tv shows from the itunes internets

sorry...forget the "eh?"

signed a very frustrated Canadian :apple: enthusiast

Canada? Whatss that? :p

No idea what mac sales are like in Canada but maybe the European market (for iTunes at least) is greater in Europe so it was seen as prime target. I think steve's hint in the recent keynote on the 7th hinted towards this release, makes the Apple TV useful!

It will be interesting to see what Apple does regarding BBC iPlayer and 4OD. Maybe thats the reason for a launch so they are not left behind..... but then can you see the BBC and Ch4 giving Apple content now?

It will be interesting to see as the BBC commissions most of its good pro grammes we may want on iTunes so a deal would have to be struck here, whereas Channel 4 Licenses programs and these may state that Channel 4 has exclusive rights, though i am sure Apple Legal found a loophole that online distribution is different to exclusive UK TV rights.... then apple could approach the US sitcom people direclty and license the likes of Lost etc for us on iTunes :).

I would also assume both these companies maybe cautious with any dealings with Apple given that a lot of people only have a TV for the occasional movie and a series or two they follow. Imagine not buying a TV license anymore and only getting the content you want from iTunes :) :) :)

TallChap
Aug 8, 2007, 02:11 PM
Just a thought would in not make sense to launch the UK service in September with the new iPods and who knows the Beatles on iTunes. They could have the media event in UK?

eenu
Aug 8, 2007, 02:14 PM
Just a thought would in not make sense to launch the UK service in September with the new iPods and who knows the Beatles on iTunes. They could have the media event in UK?

It would.... and as the rumor suggests..... a few weeks.... which is september ;)

paquetja
Aug 8, 2007, 02:14 PM
Canada? Whatss that? :p
No idea what mac sales are like in Canada but maybe the European market (for iTunes at least) is greater in Europe so it was seen as prime target. I think steve's hint in the recent keynote on the 7th hinted towards this release, makes the Apple TV useful!

There's a whole whack of reasons why Canada doesn't have any iTunes content (population, license fees vs ad revenue, etc...). Most of them probably aren't really Apple's fault. I was just venting my frustrations at seeing those happy, blissful Americans enjoying all that lovely content (and now in the UK as well), and I'm stuck in my igloo with nothing!
;)

eenu
Aug 8, 2007, 02:15 PM
and now in the UK as well

Careful its not here yet.... and we might get a load of crap on it :p

Mac-Addict
Aug 8, 2007, 02:18 PM
Finally!!! :)

Porchland
Aug 8, 2007, 02:20 PM
Hard to say because some of the file sizes can be quite large, but Apple currently hosts a large number of free video and audio podcasts -- on the U.S. site anyway -- so I wouldn't rule it out.

Apple only hosts a very small number of the podcasts that are available through iTunes. Apple just provides links.

Check the URLs.

Ugg
Aug 8, 2007, 02:50 PM
I'm sure the BBC could offer some shows for free, maybe they'll come up with an agreement with Apple to use its DRM if the BBC hosts the shows on their servers - a bit like the way podcasts work currently.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It would be a major coup for Apple if iTunes was the portal for BBC content.

timmyb
Aug 8, 2007, 02:52 PM
Well, thats different because you actually get a tangible product for your money. You don't get a 'tangible product' for music.

Newbi
Aug 8, 2007, 03:11 PM
To be honest

I dont know why people are even talking about the BBC!!

i got an ATv to get away from the BBC, i haven't watched any of their channels for years. If you want to view the BBC get an arial.

Now if we can get anything like what the US iTunes site offers i will be more than happy.

N

Apple give us movies and content from iTunes and all we can come up with is Ohh cant wait to watch corrie on Atv! i mean come on!

Mac-Addict
Aug 8, 2007, 03:19 PM
To be honest

I dont know why people are even talking about the BBC!!

i got an ATv to get away from the BBC, i haven't watched any of their channels for years. If you want to view the BBC get an arial.

Now if we can get anything like what the US iTunes site offers i will be more than happy.

N

Apple give us movies and content from iTunes and all we can come up with is Ohh cant wait to watch corrie on Atv! i mean come on!
No ones forcing you to download bbc content. I for one would love to download Doctor Who.

twoodcc
Aug 8, 2007, 03:21 PM
good news for everyone in the UK :)

hob
Aug 8, 2007, 04:02 PM
http://www.filter27.com/archives/_images/rel_flip_the_switch_front.gif

!!!

"just a matter of flipping the switch"

skydivertak
Aug 8, 2007, 04:15 PM
What about Canada, eh????

eenu
Aug 8, 2007, 04:51 PM
Now we know why Gordon Brown is so far up Bush's ass last week!!! He wanted videos on his iTunes so got his pal George to tell Steve to sort it :p

nebsta
Aug 8, 2007, 05:29 PM

Hmm...I wonder if this will be launched at the same time as the iPhone in the UK?

Mac-Addict
Aug 8, 2007, 05:38 PM
Hmm...I wonder if this will be launched at the same time as the iPhone in the UK?

That would be one hell of an event.

FleurDuMal
Aug 8, 2007, 05:48 PM

My two favourite things bought together in one glorious one.

mpw
Aug 8, 2007, 06:09 PM
BBC shows would have to be free, if they are offered at all...
You sure about that? They don't make all their content available across all mediums do they.

About time, but let's hope they do it right - a good selection and not just UK specific content...
Well each European iTMS is going to have country specific content, the licensing must be a nightmare. When the Channel 4 bought the rights to ER did that include downloads? or is that a separate license that the BBC could snap up for example?

Patch^
Aug 8, 2007, 06:24 PM
sounds good to me :) What do you think will be up for grabs? The Office, Extras, Peep Show? Perhaps old shows too like Brass Eye and others? :D

NicP
Aug 8, 2007, 08:57 PM
Australia too please!! we would also like the iphone as well!

pmd
Aug 8, 2007, 09:47 PM
Australia too please!! we would also like the iphone as well!

I'd second that call for TV downloads in Australia, but as I moved here from the UK just a few months ago I still have a UK credit card and billing address, so I can buy stuff from the UK store. Yes, I know it's technically against the usage rules of the store, but I'm not going to worry about that :)

BillyBobBongo
Aug 9, 2007, 02:20 AM
My two favourite things bought together in one glorious one.

Er.....really....you not heard of beer where you live?! :p

russellelly
Aug 9, 2007, 05:22 AM
I' love to be proven wrong, but I reckon it's going to be the smaller channels involved in this - maybe Five, Discovery and some producers (HBO have their own branded VoD service on cable). BBC have invested way too much in iPlayer for their content to end up on iTunes, ITV and C4 I reckon are unlikely too, with their p2p software.

tomd89
Aug 9, 2007, 05:53 AM
BBC may have TV programmes available, but only ones that are released on DVD and that you have to pay for.

bigandy
Aug 9, 2007, 05:55 AM
I' love to be proven wrong, but I reckon it's going to be the smaller channels involved in this - maybe Five, Discovery and some producers (HBO have their own branded VoD service on cable). BBC have invested way too much in iPlayer for their content to end up on iTunes, ITV and C4 I reckon are unlikely too, with their p2p software.

however, with the iPlayer, it seems, when using it, it's a bit of 'too little, too late'. three years to do that? hm.

i think they'd welcome itunes as a distribution method.

hob
Aug 9, 2007, 06:04 AM
You sure about that? They don't make all their content available across all mediums do they.
Do you mean DVD sales? I can see how that would be similar on the iTMS...

however, with the iPlayer, it seems, when using it, it's a bit of 'too little, too late'. three years to do that? hm.

i think they'd welcome itunes as a distribution method.

I agree with that. iPlayer is one of the worst applications I've ever used...!

mpw
Aug 9, 2007, 06:16 AM
Do you mean DVD sales? I can see how that would be similar on the iTMS...
Well that and, for example BBC3 & 4. I have to pay my license fee, but I don't have free access to the digital channels without a SKY box, and there's no digital radio available either other than over the 'net.

Therefore I don't see that the license fee gives me a 'right' to anything other than the free-to-air analogue channels, and they're dropping those in a few short years too.

C.W.
Aug 9, 2007, 11:23 AM
I'm surprised by this - don't know what content we will get...

As far as BBC goes, if we get stuff its gonna be via BBC Worldwide so stuff that has been on DVD and BT services etc as iPlayer is completely different. Only thing that makes me think this won't happen is the BBC organisation is a complete mess and I don't think they could keep this a secret if a deal had been done - and this rumor came from apple not the beeb so who knows?

As far as C4 goes, again their is 4OD which is more like iTunes than iPlayer, but again a bit different. Problem I think you would have here is that if Disney sells the rights to Lost, for example, to C4 in the UK - then why are C4 going to approve Disney putting them on iTunes in the Uk when thats going to potentially decline C4's audience? Unless the deal is direct with C4 and not the programme makers like it is in the US...

All interesting though...

BoyBach
Aug 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
I hope this means Heroes, The Sopranos, House M.D., Greys Anatomy, et al will soon be available to download. It'll be great to be able to watch TV shows when I want to and not when a TV station tells me I must.

I believe that BBC Worldwide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Worldwide) would be able to sell content through the iTunes Store.

If not, I'm sure that the BBC Trust would want to come to some sort of an agreement with Apple to distribute content via the store. Maybe it's just me, but the BBC Trust appears to be pushing for using the internet as a means of distribution.

(Anyways, if the rumours are true, it would be bloody typical for it to happen whilst a cannot afford to spend any money! :rolleyes: )

Applespider
Aug 9, 2007, 02:54 PM
i thought they hadn't set a date :confused:

They haven't but until last month, the official report and the BBC said that there was nothing available for Macs that would allow them to use DRM as they did in the XP version - and the only commitment was that they had to report back to the BBC trust on their progress every 6 months. Now they've progressed to saying that there could be a Mac version by autumn (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6245062.stm) and I'm convinced that at one point it was saying September since I remember thinking that the urgency to complain had reduced.

BBC have invested way too much in iPlayer for their content to end up on iTunes, ITV and C4 I reckon are unlikely too, with their p2p software.
Except that it doesn't work on Macs and they are getting hassle about it. Letting iTunes sell it means they have a no-headache way to get rid of that problem, it's still DRM'd and they get the benefits of people buying to watch on iPods etc

russellelly
Aug 10, 2007, 04:59 AM
Well that and, for example BBC3 & 4. I have to pay my license fee, but I don't have free access to the digital channels without a SKY box, and there's no digital radio available either other than over the 'net.

Therefore I don't see that the license fee gives me a 'right' to anything other than the free-to-air analogue channels, and they're dropping those in a few short years too.

Incorrect.

Nobody needs a Sky box to access BBC3/4. They are available Free-To-Air on Digital Terrestrial and Digital Satellite. You can buy an FTA DSat box in Maplins along with a dish and be watching BBC3/4 with no involvement from Sky. Likewise such box would allow access to all of the BBC's digital radio stations.

mpw
Aug 10, 2007, 07:30 AM
Incorrect.

Nobody needs a Sky box to access BBC3/4. They are available Free-To-Air on Digital Terrestrial and Digital Satellite. You can buy an FTA DSat box in Maplins along with a dish and be watching BBC3/4 with no involvement from Sky. Likewise such box would allow access to all of the BBC's digital radio stations.
Well there's no digital terrestrial signal here, in Jersey, and isn't going to be so the satellite route is the only option, even for BBC1&2 once the analogue signal is turned off. I shall look into it, but suspect the equipment and fitting is going to be costly.

I still feel a bit pissed off that I'm required to pay a license fee to fund the BBC , but don't get any discount despite having to pay for this extra equipment. I blame the French.

liketom
Aug 10, 2007, 07:45 AM
Well there's no digital terrestrial signal here, in Jersey, and isn't going to be so the satellite route is the only option, even for BBC1&2 once the analogue signal is turned off. I shall look into it, but suspect the equipment and fitting is going to be costly.

I still feel a bit pissed off that I'm required to pay a license fee to fund the BBC , but don't get any discount despite having to pay for this extra equipment. I blame the French.

i blame 'Bergerac' ;) but your right bit unfair -

Loge
Aug 16, 2007, 02:46 AM
BBC have invested way too much in iPlayer for their content to end up on iTunes, ITV and C4 I reckon are unlikely too, with their p2p software.

iPlayer and iTunes are serving completely different purposes. iPlayer is about catching-up on missed shows and so the files expire. iTunes is about purchasing shows where you want to keep a permanent copy.

billabong
Aug 23, 2007, 08:23 PM
When will canada get content too? Also where is the 720P HD Content? AppleTV Can play it, so where is it?

mac2thefuture
Sep 6, 2007, 01:13 PM
Well we've got some tv shows on uk :apple:TV - if thats what you want to call them!
But, where are the movies :confused::confused::confused: