PDA

View Full Version : UK PowerBooks - Short Supply

arn
Aug 1, 2003, 02:06 AM
Page2'd cause of uncertain significance.

MacRumors
Aug 1, 2003, 02:08 AM
MacWorld.co.uk (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=6674) reports that according to UK resellers... the PowerBooks are in "short supply"

Cuckoo
Aug 1, 2003, 02:26 AM
I wouldn't dare saying it....

But i am in the market for a new 15"

WHOEHOE,

<austin powes style>
YEAH BABY, YEAH!!
</austin power style>

Or as Freud said, sometimes a sigar is just a sigar and in short supply means just in short supply....

actionslacks
Aug 1, 2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by arn
Page2'd cause of uncertain significance.

Uncertain? yes.

Significant? No. I think we have had too many of these rumors regarding new discounts or low stock to hold a drop of significane in any powerbook rumor anymore.

That said, I still love page 2.

jzieske
Aug 1, 2003, 05:46 AM
I was at th Apple store in Edina, MN last night and asked about the 15"PB stock (I am giving in and getting one tonight) and he said "I have more of them than I know what to do with" So apperentley this is not the case on this side of the pond.

Fender2112
Aug 1, 2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by jzieske
I was at th Apple store in Edina, MN last night and asked about the 15"PB stock (I am giving in and getting one tonight) and he said "I have more of them than I know what to do with" So apperentley this is not the case on this side of the pond.

With all the antisipation of the new 15", I'm sure the current models are not selling well. The store probabely has 10 in stock and when the new models roll out on Tuesday ;) they won't know what to do with the old ones. I'm sure that's what they mean :)

Fender2112
Aug 1, 2003, 06:41 AM
The interesting part of the article was the link to the O'Grady page. It listed some details which indicates that the 15" PB's are getting closer to being reallity.

chazmox
Aug 1, 2003, 08:04 AM
FYI... PB retailers supply of the 12 inch and 15 inch PB has been dropping for the past few weeks. Source is PowerBookCentral.

7/14/03 - 7 out of stock of 15 / 2 out of stock of 12 ( apple store ) with 5-7 date wait on 12 and 1-3 on high end 15

7/21/03 7 out of stock of 15 / 3 out of stock of 12. Same waits at apple store

7/22/03 - Apple store 3-5 days. Gravis out of stock of 15 in Germany. Japan store may have pulled PB

7/23/03 - 5 out of stock of 15 / 6 out of stock of 12

As of 7/28/03 there were 11 ( curiously the 12 inch seems to be going out of stock at a higher rate than the 15 ) - 7 out of 12 retailers are out of stock of some model.

As of 7/29/03 there were 14 out of stock bullets associated with the 12 inch and 15 inch. 8 out of 12 retailers are out of stock of some model. Many retailers are out of stock of multiple models.

7/30/03 - 15 out-of stock bullets and both 15 inchers at 1-3 day delivery. 9 out of 12 retailers are out of stock of some model. Many retailers are out of stock of multiple models.

7/31/03 - 17 out-of stock bullets and both 15 inchers at 1-3 day delivery. 9 out of 12 retailers are out of stock of some model. Many retailers are out of stock of multiple models.

8/1/03 - 15 inch goes to 5-7 day wait at the Apple store. 19 "out-of-stock bullets.

big
Aug 1, 2003, 09:34 AM
so if you ordered a 15" PB from the APPLE STORE right now, would you receive an Aluminum or TiPB?

Venste
Aug 1, 2003, 09:38 AM
For the past few days I've been waiting to buy a 15" for college next year. I created an order on the Apple Educational Store, just to see the Estimated Shipping time for the 15 (I know I want a 15, and having an updated, possibly Al Powerbook, is better than the price of them at this point).

Yesterday the estimated shipping time was 1-3 business days.

When I woke up this morning and checked it, the estimated shipping time changed to 5-7 business days.

I was about to buy the PowerBook tonight, but it looks like I'll wait until ANOTHER Tuesday comes and goes. Hopefully this one will have Powerbooks in store.

big
Aug 1, 2003, 09:43 AM
I'm waiting too... what's magic about tuesdays?

Venste
Aug 1, 2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by big

Apple's known to release new products and updates on Tuesdays, with a few exceptions.

freundt
Aug 1, 2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by big

It's the "sweet spot" day to release new products on.

Monday is overshadowed by everyone going back to work after the weekened, catching up, etc...

Tuesday: everyone is settled in more or less, and it releasing on tuesday ensures the maximum number of days untill the weekend for press coverage.

Everything past tuesday eats into press time.

Err.. sorry for bad grammar.. Just owke up.

_f

wowoah
Aug 1, 2003, 10:08 AM
Echoing some of what people have said earlier, I put my name down on a list for backordered PowerBook 15"'s at my student store on Monday. At that time, they told me the wait would be around 5-10 days.

This morning, I got a call from the store saying that the PB's were backordered for an additional two weeks. I don't wanna get my hopes up, but maybe there's an update? Maybe? Just maybe? :)

But then again, would Apple just give out free updates? It would make more business sense to give me an old TiBook right before the update, leaving me kicking myself for not waiting just one more week. I mean, why would they just give me an update when I'm apparently more than willing to throw down $2K for an older product. Apple's a great company but no company's that nice.

Sucks, huh?

GrizzlyHippo
Aug 1, 2003, 10:29 AM
Apple store UK has 15" PB's build time at "same day"

-sigh-

However, my local reseller, and close friend, has been telling me for a couple of weeks that the 2 UK distributor companies that Apple uses stopped receiving PB's about 2 weeks ago and are expecting updates 'soon'. Take it as you will.

Grizzly

QCassidy352
Aug 1, 2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by freundt
It's the "sweet spot" day to release new products on.

Monday is overshadowed by everyone going back to work after the weekened, catching up, etc...

Tuesday: everyone is settled in more or less, and it releasing on tuesday ensures the maximum number of days untill the weekend for press coverage.

Everything past tuesday eats into press time.

Err.. sorry for bad grammar.. Just owke up.

_f

nah, that's not why Tuesdays are the day. It's because inventory calculations are submitted to apple from retail stores on monday. So usually, if there are still a great number of older generation products in stock, the release gets pushed back a week to clear inventory.

RHutch
Aug 1, 2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by QCassidy352
nah, that's not why Tuesdays are the day. It's because inventory calculations are submitted to apple from retail stores on monday. So usually, if there are still a great number of older generation products in stock, the release gets pushed back a week to clear inventory.

I won't argue with you if you have some concrete knowledge about this, but I think that freundt's reasoning makes more sense. And it also makes more sense when you think abou the fact that new DVD's and CD's are also released on Tuesdays. For this stuff, there is no inventory to clear--it's brand new.

But if you say so...

jaedreth
Aug 1, 2003, 12:56 PM
Tuesday is the sweet spot in terms of Product Readiness and Response as well...

I mean, if it were a monday, the Product Readiness team would have to work over the weekend (more than they do already).

If it were on a Friday, or worse, Saturday, the Response team would have little time to work on any unforseen problems that popped up. And they'd have to work weekends.

To give Response plenty of time to put fires out, yet give Readiness time to get ready... Tuesday is the sweet spot.

There are a *lot* more factors than you realize that go into the decision of when to announce, when to ship...

Jaedreth

jettredmont
Aug 1, 2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by jzieske

The root cause of this is that, in a freak distribution mishap, all of the UK 15" PowerBooks were shipped to Edina, MN!

hacurio1
Aug 1, 2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by jettredmont
The root cause of this is that, in a freak distribution mishap, all of the UK 15" PowerBooks were shipped to Edina, MN!

LOL......yeah....but it's not only in the UK. Check the 15" Stock at the most important U.S. reselers. The Apple store has no 15" and 12" left in stock....NONE...NADA...ZIPO!!! And only few have any left.

http://www.macprices.com/g4tracker.shtml

nacl99
Aug 1, 2003, 02:55 PM
I was at my local Apple store the other day, in Chandler AZ.

They had moved all the 15's from the front of the room to the back half, leaving the 12, and 17.

When I asked whats going on, an employee said "oh, nothings wrong with the 15" repeated it several times, and made a funny face...

hmm

Winston Smith
Aug 1, 2003, 03:30 PM
Daren't get my hopes up BUT after 6 months of waiting for a 15" THIS is the most mouth watering thread I've yet read.

But then I remember all the current deals end after the potential Stevenote in Paris.

Apple playing with us again....?

jaedreth
Aug 1, 2003, 03:38 PM
Yes

Jaedreth

Rx7 Fan
Aug 1, 2003, 06:51 PM
Its too early to tell now, but how much do you think new 12", 15", and 17" would cost? Will the new 12" be 1799 again? If so, why not get the 15" now instead?

sockseller
Aug 1, 2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Rx7 Fan
Its too early to tell now, but how much do you think new 12", 15", and 17" would cost? Will the new 12" be 1799 again? If so, why not get the 15" now instead?

I could get the higher-end 15" for $2300 right now and a 15GB for only $169 with my student discount, but I'm waiting anyway...

cb911
Aug 1, 2003, 08:04 PM
is Apple still getting 7455's from Moto? if not, then that would explain the continued delays on shipping times and the shortages everywhere.

i'm sure that the new PowerBooks will be here soon, but only when Moto has it's production problems all sorted out. Apple's probably got all the enclosure and everything ready, they're just waiting for the 7457's.

penum6ra
Aug 1, 2003, 10:31 PM
Just to lend another Apple Store report:
As of Wednesday the Apple Store Buffalo, NY had no 15" Powerbooks in the display section. There was one beat-up one with a DV camera attached in the back of the store, but out front just 12" and 17".

I didn't think to ask what their stock on the 15" was at the time, but in light of further reports this lack of displays begins to sound significant.

Anyone else's Apple Store taken them off the shelves?
:: penum6ra ::

big
Aug 1, 2003, 11:30 PM
here in Huntsville, they expect the 15" any day, and have only 2 in boxes left (every one here already has macs, the town is full of rocket scientists)

which means they buy one and keep it for 5-6 years before upgrading

of course the display model is still out,, and will be sold cheap to move inventory

that's our stock

Zuckuss
Aug 2, 2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Venste
Apple's known to release new products and updates on Tuesdays, with a few exceptions.

Actually, it is commonplace in many industries to release new products on Tuesdays. CDs and DVDs always come out on Tuesdays. It's just a standard, formal method.

wowoah
Aug 2, 2003, 12:45 AM
First of all, I noticed that Valley Fair (Santa Clara, CA) has also moved their 15" TiBook to the back. It's no longer proudly displayed right at the entrance with the 12 and the 17. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but maybe it's significant? Hopefully.

In addition, if anyone had asked me when I thought the new Powerbooks were gonna come out, I would've told them late September, since it coincided with the end of the educational PB/iPod deal. But now, when I think of it, the iPod deal might have nothing to do whatsoever with Powerbook release dates. Maybe Apple's just putting that out to get a leg up on the competition and snatch over some new college students who might be enticed and the prospect of getting a brand spankin' new iPod for 70 bucks! In which case, the PowerBooks could be released any day, and with the stocks of 15" PB's running out everywhere (except the Midwest apparently), it feels like the updates are just around the corner.

This could be all wishful thinking, but I honestly feel more optimistic now than I have in a while. I think I'm gonna hold off on my 15" Powerbook purchase, at least until mid September or so, at which time I can still grab an old Powerbook and get my iPod for a good deal :)

If anyone thinks I'm full of it, let me know--I'm not one to delude myself, hahaha.

Zuckuss
Aug 2, 2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by sockseller
I could get the higher-end 15" for $2300 right now and a 15GB for only $169 with my student discount, but I'm waiting anyway...

Does anyone really think Apple will release new p-books while the $200 ipod rebate is still running? I want a 15" so bad, but the purpose of that ipod promotion was too make the deal so sweet that you have to buy the old tibooks. It was a back-to-school compromise, now us students are left with old hardware and a nice ipod (or a late, shiny al p-book and no music).

I really hope it is within the next two weeks. I want it before school and I want a cheap ipod!

Omek
Aug 2, 2003, 01:04 AM
Personally, I would love for Apple to update their Powerbooks before the promotions end! I love that sweet deal of getting Final Cut Express for $99 when you buy any Mac!!!! That's awesome!!!

Neuro
Aug 2, 2003, 07:26 AM
I the G5 desktop ad on Apple's homepage has been there for ages (comparing to previous products). So something must be about to replace it. My money is also on Tuesday 5th August for Powerbooks...

hacurio1
Aug 2, 2003, 10:48 AM
Neuro, I hope you are right :D

macdong
Aug 2, 2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Neuro
My money is also on Tuesday 5th August for Powerbooks...

i am taking your money ;)

wowoah
Aug 2, 2003, 03:53 PM
My money is also on Tuesday 5th August for Powerbooks...

What makes you so sure? I'll be elated if it is, but I honestly don't think it'll be ::that:: soon...

Powerbook G5
Aug 2, 2003, 04:12 PM
If it does come out on Tuesday, I'll buy everyone an iPod...seriously, I have pretty much lost any hope I had that a new 15" Powerbook is coming out anytime before I have to buy one before school starts.

chazmox
Aug 2, 2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by macdong
i am taking your money ;)

But what odds would you give???

The G5 has been there a long time ( 6 weeks ) so even though it is a premiere product, it seems like something would replace it soon...

Rx7 Fan
Aug 2, 2003, 05:46 PM
With the current iPod promotion, I doubt that apple will release new Powerbooks before the iPod promotion ends. the only reason for the iPod promotion is so that current Powerbooks can be sold regardless of speculations/rumors of PB updates. With that being said, I put my money (10 whole cents) on new PB on Mac Paris september 23rd !

smartperson
Aug 2, 2003, 05:52 PM
You guys are forgetting something about Apple's college discount, at least I hope you are...

Power Books are not meant for college students.

The discounts must exist because of the iBook.

Apple does not expect lots of college folk to buy Power Books.

New Power Books will be announced regardless of the iPod discount, though after announcement it may be altered to be only for iPod and iBook.

Zuckuss
Aug 2, 2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by smartperson
You guys are forgetting something about Apple's college discount, at least I hope you are...

Power Books are not meant for college students.

Well, I'm a college student and I am in the market for an al p-book.

There you go, 'nuff said.

Powerbook G5
Aug 2, 2003, 06:06 PM
I don't see why a college student would rather have an iBook, personally. At college, I know I do a fair amount of Powerpoint presentations, projects, photoshop rendering, monitor spanning/output to projectors and video monitors, and various other things in just my normal classload. With lots of these things, you cannot even consider an iBook (can you even connect an iBook/12" PowerBook to a projector or span an image without spanning/DVI port?) With some things I have had to borrow a friend's Powerbook since I don't have a DVI port and I cannot wait to get a new PowerBook so I can have a more up to date system to do my work on. An iBook is great for word processing and internet, but how many students can actually say that is all they need for their classes?

visor
Aug 2, 2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
At college, I know I do a fair amount of Powerpoint presentations, projects, photoshop rendering, monitor spanning/output to projectors and video monitors, and various other things in just my normal classload.

My ibook does all that quite well.
It's been modified a bit of course.

Powerbook G5
Aug 2, 2003, 07:17 PM
It may be fine and good that your iBook is modded, but many people either don't have the ability to mod their computers or don't want to risk damaging their $1000+ laptop and voiding their warrantee to try adding a feature that they could get on a PowerBook.

smartperson
Aug 2, 2003, 08:12 PM
I'm a college student, too (starting Columbia this fall) . I'm in the market for a Power Book. Why? I just bought a bluetooth phone, I need a PC Card slot, and I just need an awesome machine. The fact remains that many college students look at the Powerbook, look at their bank account and say, "Yeah..um...no...I'll wait on that, an iBook will be fine." I've met lots of Mac users on campus that use iBooks instead of Powerbooks.

Those who frequent these forums are frequently exceptions from the majority of users, who often don't even know a new version is expected very soon no matter what model they're looking for.

The think with 15" Powerbooks moving to the back of the stores almost makes it seem as if Apple is trying to de-emphasize what, in my opinion, has the potential to be the best model, once it comes in line with the others.

Could I make do with an iBook? Probably. Do I want to? Most definitely not.

Please forgive the poor grammar, just came back from a nice long bike.

It may be fine and good that your iBook is modded, but many people either don't have the ability to mod their computers or don't want to risk damaging their $1000+ laptop and voiding their warrantee to try adding a feature that they could get on a PowerBook.

Hmm...maybe he means big RAM upgrade type of mod? The only other kind of performance-enhancing thing to do would be the mini-mod that allows monitor spanning.

Parikh1234
Aug 3, 2003, 01:31 AM
If it does come out on Tuesday, I'll buy everyone an iPod...seriously, I have pretty much lost any hope I had that a new 15" Powerbook is coming out anytime before I have to buy one before school starts.

im gonna hold you to that one...(make mine a 30 gig)

visor
Aug 3, 2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Fender2112
With all the antisipation of the new 15", I'm sure the current models are not selling well.

Hm, just look at the applestore top sellers.
the 12" PB is in there, nothing to be seen of 15 or even17"PB..

thebossisback
Aug 4, 2003, 09:27 AM
I dont beleive any of this anymore

nixd2001
Aug 12, 2003, 11:07 AM
My 17" PB has just been despatched! Yippee :D

Looking at the tracking info, it seems the delays was MS Office v.X. Cursed irony as, given MS's announcement today, I tried to change this for the Pro version for the same price. Apple initially said I could cancel that bit, then rang back to say it's too late. But I can return that, get a refund and then buy the version with VPC bundled.

So they may be in short supply, but they're still shipping.

And I'm even more impatient already!