PDA

View Full Version : .Mac Backup Update Coming?

MacRumors
Aug 8, 2007, 08:38 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

With the new .Mac updates (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/07/apple-updates-mac/) offered on Tuesday, it appears Apple is prepping an update to their Backup software.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/08/backup.png

Apple's .Mac Backup page (http://www.apple.com/dotmac/backup.html) shows a screenshot from a newer version of Backup which provides some new backup options called "Essential .Mac", "Complete Archive" and "iPod Safety Net".

iPod Safety Net appears to allow you to backup data to your iPod.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/08/mac-backup-update-coming/)

twoodcc
Aug 8, 2007, 08:43 PM
looks like i picked a good time to join .mac

hope this gets released soon ;)

mikeyrogers
Aug 8, 2007, 08:45 PM
Good, but two things:

Won't Time Machine render this useless and

WHERE ARE MY .MAC WIDGETS?!

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 8, 2007, 08:47 PM
I think you mean "complete archive"

I can't wait for all the new dotmac stuff, I think it's totally worth the $100, but my storage still says 1GB, so I will be patient.

edit:wow, I fixed my own spelling error, I hope no one caught it

theheadguy
Aug 8, 2007, 08:47 PM
Good, but two things:

They are never coming. Time to accept it.

rockstarjoe
Aug 8, 2007, 09:03 PM
If true, this is really, really exciting stuff!! I am paranoid about my backups and I would love these new features.

pdpfilms
Aug 8, 2007, 09:11 PM
yeah, this seems silly.

With Time Machine coming so soon, why update Backup? I'm awaiting its arrival, as Backup is a pretty bad app. Its archive based system regularly fails, and is not at all reliable to use for essential items (i.e. anything worth backing up in the first place).

Plus, how can something like this compare to seeing your files IN SPACE!!!:p

BIGIRON
Aug 8, 2007, 09:18 PM
I'm curious how many of you actually use this service? will it be a worthwhile investment?

megfilmworks
Aug 8, 2007, 09:19 PM
i have had no problems with backup, it backs up every day, my major apps docs and keychains, contacts, calendar, bookmarks, email, etc to .mac and full backups once a month to my Air disk. Never had a problem. Also isn't time machine a search engine? Back up is in case of hd failure or losing you laptop
How does time machine help with that?

basiegel68
Aug 8, 2007, 09:29 PM
I could be wrong, but here is my impression about the differences between Backup and Time Machine:

Time Machine requires a second HD connected to your Mac and works a bit like a hybrid of a cloning program and search engine combined.

Backup has the ability to archive data not only to a wired drive, but also your virtual HD on your .Mac account.

I have heard nothing about Time Machine being able to archive to web based accounts.

Peace,
Brett

expergo
Aug 8, 2007, 09:30 PM
This is different from Time Machine because you can back it up online, which is safer than backing up to an external HD.

pdpfilms
Aug 8, 2007, 09:36 PM
i have had no problems with backup, it backs up every day, my major apps docs and keychains, contacts, calendar, bookmarks, email, etc to .mac and full backups once a month to my Air disk. Never had a problem. Also isn't time machine a search engine? Back up is in case of hd failure or losing you laptop
How does time machine help with that?

Oh, i never had a single problem with the backup part of it.

...but good luck when you need to restore those files. 50% of my archives were corrupted and unopenable. Reeeeeally, eh, how do you say? Notsocool.
Anyway, Time Machine is the application that backs up your files and allows you to search through them chronologically. Without the backup portion of it, you'll lose the ability to go 'back in time' per se. You'll have nothing more than .... Machine. Some people will opt to use their main disk as the destination for these backups. The rest of us will use a Firewire, SATA, or USB drive, or like you, and AirDisk. Now if you lose your laptop or have an drive failure, there remains a backup.

And Backup does indeed provide online backups, but for those with TBs of data, online backup isn't really an option.

megfilmworks
Aug 8, 2007, 09:38 PM
Interesting, I have not had to restore....what a nightmare.
Thanks.
And thanks with the clarification on Time Machine.

pdpfilms
Aug 8, 2007, 09:42 PM
Interesting, I have not had to restore....what a nightmare.
Thanks.
And thanks with the clarification on Time Machine.

If you have the available space, I'd double check your archives. Use backup to restore one of the files on your Airdisk... and do so before you really need them!

...and if they're not intact and i've managed to get you fully paranoid, SuperDuper! is a good temporary solution.

thedonga
Aug 8, 2007, 09:48 PM
SuperDuper! is a good temporary solution.

superduper is fantastic.

Kawasaki
Aug 8, 2007, 10:05 PM
I find the iPod fuction to be interesting

samh004
Aug 8, 2007, 10:06 PM
I'm curious how many of you actually use this service? will it be a worthwhile investment?

I use it to backup weekly to iDisk and monthly to my HDD. Never had a serious problem, though once in a while there is an error somewhere, but that's easily correctable.

Never had a problem restoring from a backup either, no matter if it's online on my desk, always restored successfully (touch wood).

rspress
Aug 8, 2007, 10:40 PM
While the graphic looks new all the mention in the text of the article is Backup version 3....which we have had for a while now. While being bumped to 10 gig is nice idisk has never been known for speed. At least the app "Dragster" makes it bearable. Apple made a big deal of the dashboard widgets for dotmac and made them a big selling point for both tiger and dotmac, when they never showed up dotmac users should have taken that as a sign of things to come.

The freebies that used to come with dotmac have long ago disappeared. It seems like one person runs dotmac, may a person who is in Steves doghouse. I can see it now, "I told steve that the time machine graphic was kind of lame and now I have been transfer to dotmac." With as much as they mac dotmac a big deal each time a version of iLife is released you think Apple would have updated it by now. A decent change is years overdue.

SilentCrs
Aug 8, 2007, 11:15 PM

What happens if your Time Machine partition gets corrupt or the drive it's on dies? *listens as various light bulbs go on*

First rule learned as a system administrator: never trust a hard drive as your sole backup.

SiliconAddict
Aug 8, 2007, 11:25 PM
I really need to go out and get myself a data vault. I have my "stuff" backed up piecemeal over my home server that is 99% full, an external HD, and DL-DVDs. I need to just break down and get myself a 500GB external drive. Things are spendy though. :(

What happens if your Time Machine partition gets corrupt or the drive it's on dies? *listens as various light bulbs go on*

First rule learned as a system administrator: never trust a hard drive as your sole backup.

More then a few people have missed the fact that TM can backup to external drives, assuming you are talking about a sep partition on the same hard drive. If you ARE talking about sep hard drives....
Hard drives are a perfectly viable option as long as there is redundancy. Do you know the odds of two hard drives going bad at the same time? As long as you verify your data with an occasional restore an external HD solution is perfectly fine. Heck I trust hard drives a lot more then I trust tape or optical. I've lost count the number of restores I've tried on SDLT tapes that were verified. Ditto with optical disks. Even with a verification process there is the chance of data corruption. No give me a 500GB FW800 external drive locked away in a solid fire safe.

pdpfilms
Aug 8, 2007, 11:30 PM

You give yourself a lot of credit.

(looks up at an unlit bulb).

What happens if your _______ partition gets corrupt or the drive it's on dies? It seems like what you're bringing up has nothing to do with Time Machine or Backup. The online vs. local storage debate isn't relevant here. And if you're referring to Backup's connection to server storage, I hate to break it to you but it too is on a hard drive, even if it's way up there in the sky.

verniesgarden
Aug 8, 2007, 11:47 PM
While the graphic looks new all the mention in the text of the article is Backup version 3....which we have had for a while now. While being bumped to 10 gig is nice idisk has never been known for speed. At least the app "Dragster" makes it bearable. Apple made a big deal of the dashboard widgets for dotmac and made them a big selling point for both tiger and dotmac, when they never showed up dotmac users should have taken that as a sign of things to come.

The freebies that used to come with dotmac have long ago disappeared. It seems like one person runs dotmac, may a person who is in Steves doghouse. I can see it now, "I told steve that the time machine graphic was kind of lame and now I have been transfer to dotmac." With as much as they mac dotmac a big deal each time a version of iLife is released you think Apple would have updated it by now. A decent change is years overdue.

honestly i feel i'm the only one not impressed with the .mac update. 10 gigs is still dismal in this growing age and is gonna get worse real fast. no iphone syncing of contacts/calanders which surprised the hell out of me, but apple thinks of stuff we never do and looks over the blantent obvious. and i don't even own an iphone but that kinda bothered me. yes the web gallery is awesome, and i will get a .mac for just that reason. but they gotta start adding features to it so it can be the "why wouldn't you get it" feature it was supposed to be

megfilmworks
Aug 8, 2007, 11:50 PM
I was hoping for iPhone syncing as well. I'm sure we'll see it some day.
Unless it goes the way of .mac widgets.

Shadylane315
Aug 9, 2007, 12:05 AM
just got a message on my desktop saying that my idisk is unavailable due to a change in size...i can't wait!!!

UPDATE: Just got my ten gigs!

IJ Reilly
Aug 9, 2007, 12:16 AM
i have had no problems with backup,

I've had plenty. If Backup misses a schedule, either because the Mac is off or the backup drive isn't mounted, it won't try again at the next scheduled interval, or at all. What it will do, which is even more peculiar and annoying, is pop up the next time you restart the Mac. That's just idiotic. Apple needs to fix this application.

adrianm
Aug 9, 2007, 12:29 AM
Good, but two things:

1. Backup backs up to .Mac - Time Machine would appear to only back up to external/other disks.

2. Hmm, what for?

Superdrive
Aug 9, 2007, 12:52 AM
The only thing .mac was really good for was the email address and internet storage @mac.com. Since I have discontinued the service, I really only miss the backup program. Being able to set up scheduled backups for the family's computers along with regular address book syncs was very convenient. Unfortunately for Apple, there are a number of free services online that are comparable or better than what .Mac offers on almost all fronts. $99/year is still very expensive for how little you truly get.

megfilmworks
Aug 9, 2007, 12:54 AM
For me it's a write off and well worth the money, just for the reasons you mentioned.

drater
Aug 9, 2007, 12:57 AM
I personally like the .mac experience, I think they could lower the price a little, but all in all its good for me.:D

Barabas
Aug 9, 2007, 02:55 AM
I agree that the .mac pricing is a bit hefty at $99 but the family pack offers pretty good value at $179 for 5 accounts. My brother, girlfriend and parents don't really need that much storage.

jonatron
Aug 9, 2007, 03:27 AM
Also not everyone is gonna head straight out and buy leopard! Look at the number of people who are still not on tiger. This provides a nice tasty back up for all those happily remaining on the current os.

ScottDrummer
Aug 9, 2007, 03:30 AM
The only thing .mac was really good for was the email address and internet storage @mac.com. Since I have discontinued the service, I really only miss the backup program. Being able to set up scheduled backups for the family's computers along with regular address book syncs was very convenient. Unfortunately for Apple, there are a number of free services online that are comparable or better than what .Mac offers on almost all fronts. $99/year is still very expensive for how little you truly get.

can you name any of these solutions? I would be interested to see them before purchasing a .mac account
cheers

koobcamuk
Aug 9, 2007, 04:06 AM
If you have the available space, I'd double check your archives. Use backup to restore one of the files on your Airdisk... and do so before you really need them!

...and if they're not intact and i've managed to get you fully paranoid, SuperDuper! is a good temporary solution.

I might stick with super duper for the time being as it allows a full back up, spotlight and bootable option. Having it bootable is a killer point in my book.

koobcamuk
Aug 9, 2007, 04:07 AM

I can't wait for all the new dotmac stuff, I think it's totally worth the $100, but my storage still says 1GB, so I will be patient.

If you go to mac.com you change your allowance there. It tells you how. I did it and now have a 9GB iDisk!

technobear
Aug 9, 2007, 04:09 AM
backup has always allowed you to backup to your idisk and your ipod.

im confused, whats new here, except the icons :confused:
,perhaps they just added more 'default' backup options, but that is no big deal either.

does anyone think, that perhaps the 10gb upgrade to .mac, is to allow some form of TM integration?

i think apple know they arent using .mac enough, but havent really figured on some more creative uses yet... personally im surprised it hasnt turned into macspace :)

yagran
Aug 9, 2007, 06:16 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

With the new .Mac updates (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/07/apple-updates-mac/) offered on Tuesday, it appears Apple is prepping an update to their Backup software.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/08/backup.png

Apple's .Mac Backup page (http://www.apple.com/dotmac/backup.html) shows a screenshot from a newer version of Backup which provides some new backup options called "Essential .Mac", "Complete Archive" and "iPod Safety Net".

iPod Safety Net appears to allow you to backup data to your iPod.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/08/mac-backup-update-coming/)

ive attached a better screenshot...

offwidafairies
Aug 9, 2007, 07:12 AM
I really dont get how it can back up your ipod etc. I have 40Gb worth of music... isnt .mac only 10Gb? :confused:

aswitcher
Aug 9, 2007, 07:14 AM
I too have had issues with Backup and dont feel confident using it. I would be much happier if it just copied files or even better was like time machine. A special time machine just for my iDisk would be very nice.

bigandy
Aug 9, 2007, 07:22 AM
I really dont get how it can back up your ipod etc. I have 40Gb worth of music... isnt .mac only 10Gb? :confused:

not everyone has that much music, just like some have more music than you.

how about selecting only the most important? what if some people (like my parents) only have enough music to fill their 2Gb nanos?

rockstarjoe
Aug 9, 2007, 07:36 AM

It backs up your data to your ipod, not the other way around.

BwanaZulia
Aug 9, 2007, 07:39 AM
From someone who learned the very very hard way, make sure you backup early, often and in multiple different ways.

No one backup solution is going to save you from anything.

Time Machine will backup your stuff as it happens and it will get it onto another disk. This protects you from local hardware disk failure of your main drive but DOES NOT protect you from theft, fire, flood or other big damages.

.Mac Backup is more a daily/weekly solution for a smaller set of files and will protect you from hardware failure and from theft, fire, flood but since it is only limited in space can only protect your smallest and most important things. Example it can't protect your 20GB iPhoto library.

DVD Backup is again a timed thing and can backup everything. It can protect a lot of stuff over a great amount of time but since it is a manual process fails when it comes to daily/weekly changes to your most important files. Also remember to take your DVDs OFF SITE (out of your house) so if you have a fire they are protected.

Here is my suggestion and practice:
- iSync of Address/iCal automatically (automatic/daily)
- iDisk for important documents (automatic/daily)
- .Mac backup for a set of files that change frequently and are important like Quicken/Quickbooks (automatic/daily)
- Timemachine (when released) of entire drive to an external, away from your machine if you can hack it (hang it off your network) (automatic/daily)
- Weekly .Mac backup of bigger files (word/excel etc) (automatic/weekly)
- Monthly DVD backup of Mail/Photos/Documents/iTunes (manual/monthly)
- Quarterly backup of your Home folder (manual/quarterly)

That and replace your hard drive every 2 years. Yeah, it might last longer but do you want to test it? I just take out my old drive and swap it into my backup drive. Sell the backup one on Ebay or give it to a friend.

BZ

macintel4me
Aug 9, 2007, 07:51 AM
I just want to backup my personal files and apps. I want to reformat my hard drive and reinstall OS X and then restore my personal stuff again.

SuperDuper! = can't do it.
Backup = ???
TimeMachine = I don't think so.

Please Advise!!

Dagless
Aug 9, 2007, 08:09 AM
It'd be fantastic if Apple opened this up to webhosting too. I mean I pay 70 for 2 years of unlimited bandwidth/webspace, why would I spend a further 60-100 (or however much it is now) for another host?

It's a shame to cripple all this .Mac integration into OSX and limit it to the tiny minority of .Mac users.

MonaLisa
Aug 9, 2007, 08:11 AM
can you name any of these solutions? I would be interested to see them before purchasing a .mac account
cheers

mozy (mozy.com) has a nice backup service. It's free with 2gb of online storage, and $5/month for unlimited storage. The backup app is similar to the .Mac Backup. You can schedule automatic daily or weekly backups, and also a throttle the network usage so the backup does not strangle your network if you want.

moosecat
Aug 9, 2007, 08:16 AM
Does anyone know of a way to use Backup (or, if necessary, a similar application) to designate certain iPhoto albums for backup to iDisk? I see how to designate my entire iPhoto library to be backed up, but it's larger than my iDisk. I would like to be able to pick two or three galleries that are important to me for backup.

(Yes, I know, there are other solutions -- like burning them onto a DVD, like I did last night. But I would like to back up the thousand pictures of my son's first year off-site.)

bexpert
Aug 9, 2007, 08:16 AM
cheers

Mozy is awesome. It totally saved me from suicide. It's worth paying for, too.

morespce54
Aug 9, 2007, 08:38 AM
If you can backup your home folder (or whatever) on your iPod, I wounder why you would need a .Mac to do this... :(
I mean, I know you have to give .Mac'er a special treat but why not open up this option to all Mac (and iPod) users? :confused:

I know, there's plenty of tricks to backup your home folder (or even your iPod for that matter) but a simple OS elegant way would be very Apple'ish...:(

(Bring back the "home-to-go"!)

Small White Car
Aug 9, 2007, 08:46 AM
If I have an external Time Machine drive and I un-plug it and take to another Mac, what can I do with it?

Can I grab files off of it? Can I restore another computer to totally match my own?

Do we know any of this yet? I haven't seen.

Time Machine won't replace other backup programs if it can't do these kind of things.

morespce54
Aug 9, 2007, 08:51 AM
This is different from Time Machine because you can back it up online, which is safer than backing up to an external HD.

Well, my question is: Is it backing up your whole home folder? :confused:
I know it must only backup the changed files but still... mine is about 110 GB... is that 100 GB over the .Mac backup limit? :eek:

I can't wait for time machine...

morespce54
Aug 9, 2007, 09:10 AM
I just want to backup my personal files and apps. I want to reformat my hard drive and reinstall OS X and then restore my personal stuff again.

Backup = ???

Please Advise!!

I think I don't understand your question...:confused:
If you want to wipe your internal HDD...
You got a external HDD, right (usb or firewire)?
Then, just rsync, copy or move your stuff with the Teminal, Applescripts, CarbonCopy Cloner or such... Even with the Finder (if you have waaay to much time on your hand;))

Lots of solutions (free or not) are available for a simple backup/copy plan.

mozmac
Aug 9, 2007, 09:26 AM
Here are my thoughts on the Backup vs Time Machine discussion. Time machine is great for making local backups, but every good IT person knows you need to make an off-site backup if you really want to be protected. .mac Backup allows just that, and if you trust Apple, you can trust your information is secure. I see them upgrading .mac when Leopard is released to work more closely with Time Machine, but not everyone is going to get Leopard right away. So this updated Backup will continue to help those still with Tiger, Panther, or...choke...Jaguar.

Man, remember how cool Panther was when it came out? Now you put it next to the latest Tiger and it looks so old! Can't wait for Leopard.

rtdunham
Aug 9, 2007, 10:31 AM
superduper is fantastic.

couldn't agree more. last night, prior to leaving on a 12-day trip, i used super duper to back up my macbook after a couple months without backing up. It had around 138GB on the existing backup; the macbook's hard drive had filled to about 15GB more, and of course some of the existing files had changed. SuperDuper did a "smart backup", backing up only the parts that had changed. As a result, backing up a nearly-full 160GB drive took only 49 minutes (see log for details). And when it was done it made the backup bootable and did a few other niceties along the way. Truly superduper.

(NOTE: this is the END of the log; backup began at 12:43am):

01:32:29 AM | Info | Evaluated 695421 items occupying 138.51 GB (122112 directories, 544512 files, 28797 symlinks)
| 01:32:29 AM | Info | Copied 168608 items totaling 24.14 GB (32569 directories, 107245 files, 28794 symlinks)
| 01:32:29 AM | Info | Cloned 135.60 GB of data in 2270 seconds at an effective transfer rate of 61.17 MB/s
| 01:32:29 AM | Info | PHASE: 3. After Successful Copy
| 01:32:29 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Making LaCie 3x Rugged 160 bootable
| 01:32:29 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Blessing OS X System Folder
| 01:32:31 AM | Info | Successfully blessed Mac OS X folder on LaCie 3x Rugged 160
| 01:32:31 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Blessing OS 9 System Folder
| 01:32:31 AM | Info | Did not bless Mac OS 9 System Folder on LaCie 3x Rugged 160 because it does not exist.
| 01:32:31 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Restoring Spotlight state on LaCie 3x Rugged 160
| 01:32:31 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Restoring Spotlight search indexing state on LaCie 3x Rugged 160
| 01:32:31 AM | Info | /Volumes/LaCie 3x Rugged 160:
| 01:32:31 AM | Info | Indexing enabled for volume.
| 01:32:31 AM | Info | Indexing enabled on LaCie 3x Rugged 160
| 01:32:31 AM | Info | Copy complete.

wngraham
Aug 9, 2007, 10:32 AM
With all this talk of backing up, I can't recommend Super Duper enough. I use it to automatically clone my entire drive to an external firewire HDD every night.

In addition I use the .mac backup feature to do daily backups of my Keychain, iCal, Address Book, and Documents Folder.

If you've ever had to do a full system restore you won't regret taking as many precautions as possible.

alansky
Aug 9, 2007, 10:35 AM

You might want to send a quick note to the .Mac support folks. My .Mac storage limit was set to 10GB when I checked it shortly after Tuesday's announcement.

rtdunham
Aug 9, 2007, 10:42 AM

Backup = ???

Please Advise!!

wouldn't you just use superduper to backup your home folder, use disk utilities to reformat, reinstall osx from your original disks, software update to bring os to current status, and then restore the home folder from super duper?

Maccus Aurelius
Aug 9, 2007, 01:21 PM
I adore SuperDuper! after using it to clone other drives. It helped my sister out a lot when she wanted to swap with a better hard drive, as it didn't involve having to use the install discs. One thing though; some of the icons in the dock stopped working, which then had to be dragged out and replaced again to get them to properly link to the application. This doesn't always happen, but it is sort of annoying. Forgivable though.

offwidafairies
Aug 9, 2007, 02:30 PM
It backs up your data to your ipod, not the other way around.

ok. but i can do that myself now as it is just by dragging files ont it? i just dont get what the big deal is. sounds like a rort to me

bilbo--baggins
Aug 9, 2007, 05:42 PM
I had some issues with an earlier version of Backup (v2 I think?) but Backup 3 has been brilliant for me. I used to also use Deja Vu for automated backups to a second hard drive, but now I rely purely on Backup 3 and I really like it.

I try to reduce the risk by backing up to various places. Daily backups are done to an external hard drive and iDisk, and the every now and again I make backups to DVD's.

From what I've read, data is far more readily recoverable from a corrupted hard disk than it is from a corrupted optical disc.

I actually got Retrospect Express free with my My Book Pro and had such problems trying to get it working that I gave up. Western Digital sent me a copy of some other backup software, but Backup 3 does exactly what I want.

With regards to the comments earlier about restoring backups. There have been several occasions where I've recovered corrupted files by retrieving a recent backed up version from Backup without any problems. I've not found any of the backup files to have problems. Rather than restoring the entire backup, I tend to just retrieve the file I want from the backup by using the (right click) Show Package Contents. After a bad experience with an early version of Backup I didn't trust it, until with version 3 I discovered that I could view the content of the packages, and retrieve individual files. I find that very reassuring.

aswitcher
Aug 9, 2007, 05:48 PM
I had some issues with an earlier version of Backup (v2 I think?) but Backup 3 has been brilliant for me. I used to also use Deja Vu for automated backups to a second hard drive, but now I rely purely on Backup 3 and I really like it.

I try to reduce the risk by backing up to various places. Daily backups are done to an external hard drive and iDisk, and the every now and again I make backups to DVD's.

From what I've read, data is far more readily recoverable from a corrupted hard disk than it is from a corrupted optical disc.

I actually got Retrospect Express free with my My Book Pro and had such problems trying to get it working that I gave up. Western Digital sent me a copy of some other backup software, but Backup 3 does exactly what I want.

With regards to the comments earlier about restoring backups. There have been several occasions where I've recovered corrupted files from Backup without any problems. Rather than restoring the entire backup, I tend to just retrieve the file I want from the backup by using the (right click) Show Package Contents. After a bad experience with an early version of Backup I didn't trust it, until with version 3 I discovered that I could view the content of the packages, and retrieve individual files. I find that very reassuring.

Well that sounds good. Thanks for letting us know its working for you.

SiliconAddict
Aug 9, 2007, 11:12 PM
Before this thread gets totally lost....

http://mozy.com/

I've yet to use it because I'm waiting on Leopard.

ashpole
Aug 10, 2007, 07:06 AM
The graphics on Backup's description page have changed, some show the existing version but one shows something new:

http://images.apple.com/dotmac/images/backup_plan20070807.jpg

At the top I can just make out "Migrate Previous Backup Configuration", that option was not in Backup V3.....

hubiquitous
Aug 10, 2007, 10:47 AM
Any chance these new enhancements will support encryption of the content during transport and when stored on Apple servers?

penter
Aug 10, 2007, 08:44 PM

its funny that you mention the 1 GB of space in your iDisk, for mine has mysteriously gone up to 10 GB!! i was wondering.... has everyone's .Mac been upgraded as well???

yeah, this seems silly.

With Time Machine coming so soon, why update Backup? I'm awaiting its arrival, as Backup is a pretty bad app. Its archive based system regularly fails, and is not at all reliable to use for essential items (i.e. anything worth backing up in the first place).

Plus, how can something like this compare to seeing your files IN SPACE!!!:p

LMAO well put, pdpfilms.
i have never used backup except for an unsuccessful and useless first attepmt.

Can't wait for Time Machine!!

vansouza
Aug 10, 2007, 09:25 PM

I have a couple, iWeb built www.usheroes.us and I use my.Mac site for photo sharing after weekends away with friends... totally easy to setup and use... what a dream...:D

Fairly
Aug 13, 2007, 07:58 AM
Include .Mac in the price of a computer or dispense with it entirely. It's a kludge and you can get free services anywhere that are far better. .Mac has been an embarrassment from Day One.