PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro Software Update 1.1

MacRumors
Aug 9, 2007, 03:43 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has released (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookprosoftwareupdate11.html) yet another software update. The MacBook Pro Software Update 1.1 was released today:

This update provides important bug fixes and improves stability with Motion 2 and Motion 3. It is recommended for all 2.2/2.4GHz MacBook Pro models.

It requires Mac OS X 10.4.9 or later.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/09/macbook-pro-software-update-1-1/)

daneoni
Aug 9, 2007, 03:48 PM
GPU driver updates surely?

amusiccale
Aug 9, 2007, 03:49 PM
If apple wouldn't be so secretive with the content of these updates, we would know be able to know whether to wait for bugs to be fixed in firmware/driver updates or to keep trolling.

longofest
Aug 9, 2007, 03:54 PM
GPU driver updates surely?

Given the way that Motion is so GPU-based, and the latest crop of MacBook Pros have had their share of GPU driver issues, I'd say yes. Someone want to inspect the installer package?

cavemonkey50
Aug 9, 2007, 03:57 PM
GeForce8xxxGLDriver is dated August 1, 2007, so most certainly the graphics drivers were updated.

hanschien
Aug 9, 2007, 04:14 PM
If apple wouldn't be so secretive with the content of these updates, we would know be able to know whether to wait for bugs to be fixed in firmware/driver updates or to keep trolling.

Pacifist?

Gymnut
Aug 9, 2007, 04:26 PM
Updating here although I haven't encountered any problems with Motion 2, but the updates are welcomed.

CmdrLaForge
Aug 9, 2007, 04:39 PM
Does it help with Motion ??? Pls anyone with courage install the update :cool:

I would as well go ahead but am I currently posting my first iMovie 08 to youtube. This thing is fantastic. OK- off topic.

Eidorian
Aug 9, 2007, 04:40 PM
Pacifist?Show Package Contents and then unarchive the files.

pianoman181
Aug 9, 2007, 04:41 PM
It appears to affect the NVidia GeForce, OpenGL, and it replaces the translate binary, which is Rosetta. Now you know :)

Eidorian
Aug 9, 2007, 04:44 PM
It appears to affect the NVidia GeForce, OpenGL, and it replaces the translate binary, which is Rosetta. Now you know :)I guess that'll improve PowerPC OpenGL performance as well.

InLikeALion
Aug 9, 2007, 04:54 PM
I guess that'll improve PowerPC OpenGL performance as well.

But its only a Macbook Pro update. I don't see how it would affect the PPC OpenGL.

amusiccale
Aug 9, 2007, 04:55 PM
Show Package Contents and then unarchive the files.

Ah, see, that's helpful.

Eidorian
Aug 9, 2007, 04:55 PM
But its only a Macbook Pro update. I don't see how it would affect the PPC OpenGL.Rosetta...

amoda
Aug 9, 2007, 05:16 PM
umm...this might just be a coincidence but anyone else experiencing extreme lag? System wide lag at that. Everything from Safari to iTunes is lagging. I have a 2.2 C2D and according to iStat Pro my cpus are 87% idle. This began the restart after installing the update. The gpu couldn't cause this could it? Most likely the install went wrong and messed up some files on HD right?

justflie
Aug 9, 2007, 05:19 PM
umm...this might just be a coincidence but anyone else experiencing extreme lag? System wide lag at that. Everything from Safari to iTunes is lagging. I have a 2.2 C2D and according to iStat Pro my cpus are 87% idle. This began the restart after installing the update. The gpu couldn't cause this could it? Most likely the install went wrong and messed up some files on HD right?

Do you have .Mac? When my iDisk (synced locally) was changing it's size to the new 10gb size, my whole system slowed down DRAMATICALLY, without a noticeable increase in CPU usage. After it was done, everything was back to normal.

Sbrocket
Aug 9, 2007, 05:31 PM
This one updates the same files as the MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0 -- more OpenGL, nVidia driver and Rosetta updates.

Specifically, the update looks like it contains new versions of these files...
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGA.plugin
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceVADriver.bundle
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers
/usr/libexec/oah/translate
/usr/libexec/oah/Shims/GLEngine.bundle

ProFont
Aug 9, 2007, 05:34 PM
Damn right. I'm not a Motion user so why on earth do they still recommend that I download this?

Please provide some better writeups, Apple! This is just insulting.

amoda
Aug 9, 2007, 05:37 PM
Do you have .Mac? When my iDisk (synced locally) was changing it's size to the new 10gb size, my whole system slowed down DRAMATICALLY, without a noticeable increase in CPU usage. After it was done, everything was back to normal.

Nope, don't have .Mac. Well i just repaired disk and repaired permissions and everything is back to normal. So i'll just file this under "slightly annoying and unnecessary but no big deal overall". Thanks for you help though, wouldn't have thought .Mac would've been my problem if i had it.

MacGuffin
Aug 9, 2007, 05:55 PM
Damn right. I'm not a Motion user so why on earth do they still recommend that I download this?

Please provide some better writeups, Apple! This is just insulting.

Old wisdom seldom goes out of style. "If it ain't broke..."

Macfixit.com is a reliable indicator of the wreckage that Apple now inflicts through updates. Let the Polyannas rush to download, wait a day or two and see if they come back with tears in their eyes.

kevo0822
Aug 9, 2007, 06:02 PM

I had the same problem. After repairing permissions though, everything seems to be back to normal.

Morris
Aug 9, 2007, 06:23 PM
Old wisdom seldom goes out of style. "If it ain't broke..."

As software is generally always broken, it just tends to get a little less broken over time after numerous patches, I would substitute that for a better saying:

"If it weren't broken, there wouldn't have been a fix" :D

eeyoredragon
Aug 9, 2007, 06:56 PM
As software is generally always broken, it just tends to get a little less broken over time after numerous patches, I would substitute that for a better saying:

"If it weren't broken, there wouldn't have been a fix" :DSoftware tends to do alot of things as it ages. Bugs get fixed, features get added, and... new bugs are introduced. Such is the nature of the beast.

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it" is a valid idea to keep in mind before doing an update. If the write ups are poor, I'd think improving that'd make everyone happier.

twoodcc
Aug 9, 2007, 07:16 PM
a lot of updates lately. this doesn't apply to my macbook pro though

mags631
Aug 9, 2007, 07:28 PM
Safari is snappier.

ProFont
Aug 9, 2007, 07:31 PM
Safari is snappier.
How's that possible?

spookje
Aug 9, 2007, 07:51 PM
Too bad, I wouldn't mind to have a better OpenGL support in OSX. The current OpenGL stuff is really terrible buggy.

amoda
Aug 9, 2007, 08:42 PM
How's that possible?

It's a common joke that's been around for AGES! Not insulting you knowledge, just stating that it's been a tad, just a tad, over used (even though i admit i did it a couple of times:o). Basically any update caused for Safari to become "snappier".

Gen3tix
Aug 9, 2007, 08:53 PM
Hmm...i updated my mbp, and firefox and itunes seem to take slightly longer to start up. I already verified and repaired permissions, but still a little slower than before. I guess i'll try rebooting later.

rev316
Aug 9, 2007, 09:07 PM
Same issue that amoda had. An additional restart seem to have gotten rid of it.

Amen too "slightly annoying and unnecessary but no big deal overall"!

justflie
Aug 9, 2007, 09:22 PM
No problems on this end. Whatever they did to the video drivers certainly cleaned up Expose. Expose All Windows has been choppy for me since I bought this MBP and it is very smooth now. Yay for better performance! Now to try Civ 4... :D

iBunny
Aug 9, 2007, 09:25 PM
This has made everything dealing with my Video Card faster.

Thank you - and its about time :apple:
:D

Smurfed
Aug 9, 2007, 09:51 PM
Has anyone tested out a few modern games after this update?

bdgdoom
Aug 9, 2007, 10:40 PM
no significant change to the way call of duty 2 runs...still has hiccups

crazyiez
Aug 9, 2007, 10:49 PM
lol they way i heard it. its

"if its not broken it doesnt have enough features"

and and no problems yet with this update.

poke4christ
Aug 10, 2007, 01:08 AM
So, no fix of the airport driver issues? I'm starting to wonder when they are going to get around to that. It's a real annoying to not be able to walk around and browse the net separate form my power chord. Also, I've been having problems when I put it into sleep mode (jumps out). When I turn off the airport it doesn't happen, so that must be the cause.

Anyway, when the heck are they going to fix this? Kernel crashes when I'm browsing off the power chord are a major deal!

awulf
Aug 10, 2007, 03:28 AM
After this update on my MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, OpenGL seems to run slower and games stutter a bit. Everything was working fine beforehand, so I guess I shouldn't have updated.

To uninstall this update would require reinstalling OS X, which is too much effort.

HyperX
Aug 10, 2007, 06:47 AM
Second Life is still worthless / broken ;\

I wish I could see Steve Jobs so I could slap him with an Iphone and say, STOP LOOSING FOCUS ON TOYS! MAKE YOUR MACS WORK AGAIN!

brandx
Aug 10, 2007, 07:05 AM
yes! I thought I was going nuts I am having the same issues. I also play world of warcraft and before the update it was smooth now it runs choppy. :eek:

MacHiavelli
Aug 10, 2007, 07:06 AM
Why does the MB Pro come with iLife 06 and not 08 like the iMac?

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=74284FCC&node=home/macbook/macbook_pro

CmdrLaForge
Aug 10, 2007, 07:11 AM
Installed it and happy. Motion 3 now just works fine. Thanks :apple:

koops
Aug 10, 2007, 07:46 AM

Just reinstaled OSX and installed bootcamp 1.4 and al the latst updates including this MBP 1.1 update. Call of duty will not start says, 'fatal error' and refernces a language file and csv file?
anyone else had this problem?

Harpy007
Aug 10, 2007, 08:12 AM
Why does the MB Pro come with iLife 06 and not 08 like the iMac?

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=74284FCC&node=home/macbook/macbook_pro

I don't know... on the canadian store it comes with ilife '08. Weird :confused:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=74284FCC&node=home/macbook/macbook_pro

jonny
Aug 10, 2007, 08:40 AM

This continues to make me so sad :(

ProFont
Aug 10, 2007, 09:19 AM
Basically any update caused for Safari to become "snappier".
Now that you mention it, this is one of those words The Steve uses, right? Like "boom".

RqThrottle
Aug 10, 2007, 10:01 AM
How's that possible?

Arf! You fell for that one :)

MacHiavelli
Aug 10, 2007, 10:05 AM
I don't know... on the canadian store it comes with ilife '08. Weird :confused:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=74284FCC&node=home/macbook/macbook_pro

Cheers... maybe the UK is just lagging behind.....

daneoni
Aug 10, 2007, 10:14 AM
Its always a good idea to do a PRAM reset after each hardware update.

evanliberman
Aug 10, 2007, 10:34 AM
I updated with this patch unfortunately, and had Leopard installed from ADC, and it made all programs displaying HD video (FCE 3.5, Quicktime, iMovie) + CoverFlow graphically unusable (artifacts on the screen, repainting video terrible).

I can't revert to Tiger without wiping the partition, and so I guess I'll try to upgrade to the latest Leopard build on ADC, and hope this doesn't wipe my disk (video files, email).

Anyone can give help? I don't think I'll use Software Update anymore as long as I have Leopard installed - I'm evidently installing graphic drivers for Tiger/MBP, not yet Leopard ready.

ProFont
Aug 10, 2007, 10:45 AM
What exactly am I resetting if I do this? Any settings other than my screen res and such?

Axeman777
Aug 10, 2007, 11:53 AM
...You play World of Warcraft.

I just installed this, and the game went from framerates in the mid-40's to about 20fps. Then if I switch from full screen to windowed mode, the rate is even worse; basically unplayable and choppy as hell.

Oh, by the way, I have a MBP 2.4GHz with the 256MB card. So much for that performance I was looking for, eh? Is there any way to uninstall one of these updates?

mrwizardno2
Aug 10, 2007, 11:58 AM
I wish I could see Steve Jobs so I could slap him with an Iphone and say, STOP LOOSING FOCUS ON TOYS! MAKE YOUR MACS WORK AGAIN!

LOL! Me too!

I'll not be installing this update :-) Learned my lesson with that blasted Firmware update last time!

brandx
Aug 10, 2007, 01:30 PM
Same problem here..

I just installed this, and the game went from framerates in the mid-40's to about 20fps. Then if I switch from full screen to windowed mode, the rate is even worse; basically unplayable and choppy as hell.

Oh, by the way, I have a MBP 2.4GHz with the 256MB card. So much for that performance I was looking for, eh? Is there any way to uninstall one of these updates?

killerrobot
Aug 10, 2007, 02:11 PM
Apple is hitting home runs with their software updates as of late.

I spent the last 2 months trying to get my external HD running again after the 10.4.10 update.

Thanks to everyone for voicing there problems with this one -- it saved me from problems.

iBunny
Aug 10, 2007, 03:37 PM
I dont play games in OSX, so I dont notice a difference. However Expose, Dashboard, and Anything with Video is much much better than before.

awulf
Aug 10, 2007, 06:11 PM
Reseting the PRAM (3 times in a row) (Apple-Option-P-R at boot) solved the issue for me

RONIN1138
Aug 10, 2007, 07:52 PM
I am working off a 1.67ghz Powerbook G4. I was wanting to upgrade to a MacBook Pro this week. I have a friend that will buy my Powerbook. With all of the bugs I am hearing about on the MBP's is it a good time or a bad time to make the move?

brandx
Aug 10, 2007, 11:08 PM
Overall my MBP is pretty solid. 9/10 the warcraft issue can be fixed by limiting your FPS /console maxfps 30 so its not a deal breaker for me right now.

I am working off a 1.67ghz Powerbook G4. I was wanting to upgrade to a MacBook Pro this week. I have a friend that will buy my Powerbook. With all of the bugs I am hearing about on the MBP's is it a good time or a bad time to make the move?

awulf
Aug 10, 2007, 11:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonM600i/R100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Symbian OS; 405) Opera 8.65 [en])

The current model of macbook pro has been pretty stable for me, as far as an intel mac goes. i found little things that make it a little more pc like than a mac. if you don't need a new mac stick to your PowerBook. I would stuck to my iBook if its wireless didn't die.

bananas
Aug 11, 2007, 03:54 PM

oh no. :( MBP seems to be the best :apple: machine for gaming, but if it really sucks that much then there's no mac I can play games with. I was really hoping the new iMac would have had the horsepower. On what machine am I supposed to play the games ID and EA games are going to release? or is there going to be some updates to macs before that?

besides gaming I'd like to dual boot my mac with Linux and that would be nicer with Nvidia graphics (or intel if I didn't play any games). So it seems like the only Mac with Nvidia graphics that I could afford is not good enough for gaming anyway :( So I might get a Mac Mini as well and forget about gaming on a computer. (maybe get a PS3 instead).

tomashan
Aug 12, 2007, 06:16 PM
I have updated to the 1.1 and since then been experiencing poor performance in World Of Warcraft. This is very frustrating, anyone knows of a solution? What is a point of an update which downgrades the computer? Wake up Apple! Any thoughts?

scrambledwonder
Aug 12, 2007, 10:09 PM

Same exact problem here. I had to re-istall the system from the disks, then run every update except this one. Now WoW is back to normal. It took a while, but the computer runs well now. Fixed a tiny bug I had with the wireless mouse too. Back in action.

tvsinesperanto
Aug 13, 2007, 06:08 PM

I'd say it's a fairly good time to upgrade...providing you can get hold of one (I ordered a stock standard 2.2Ghz MBP 6 weeks ago and I still don't even have an ETA. Thanks Apple!).

Distribution problems aside, The addition of the Rosetta chipset, a decent GPU and the LED backlit screens in this model (15" only) means that you would be upgrading on the ground floor of some fairly significant new tech which is always nice (well, usually. The old axiom, "if you live on the cutting edge, prepare to bleed" still holds true). I wouldn't worry about the bugs too much. They always get sorted one way or another.

Hope this helps.

TV

RONIN1138
Aug 14, 2007, 01:20 AM
I'd say it's a fairly good time to upgrade...providing you can get hold of one (I ordered a stock standard 2.2Ghz MBP 6 weeks ago and I still don't even have an ETA. Thanks Apple!).

Distribution problems aside, The addition of the Rosetta chipset, a decent GPU and the LED backlit screens in this model (15" only) means that you would be upgrading on the ground floor of some fairly significant new tech which is always nice (well, usually. The old axiom, "if you live on the cutting edge, prepare to bleed" still holds true). I wouldn't worry about the bugs too much. They always get sorted one way or another.

Hope this helps.

TV

Thanks so much for the thorough reply. I'll be putting my order in tomorrow.

alberto

Habakuk
Aug 14, 2007, 03:37 AM
Has anyone tested out a few modern games after this update?

NoLimits Rollercoaster: No difference between before and after the SWUpdt.

I don't want to be nitpicking but this one is called Software Update by the manufacturer of hard- and software. A hardware update would be when you put in additional RAM or an other HDD by example - maybe a firmware update too.

Expose All Windows has been choppy for me since I bought this MBP and it is very smooth now.

Here no difference to before. Exposť hasn't been choppy before too. Shows 20+ windows within milliseconds. No problems with 1.1 since four days now.

Sorry to hear about problems with some games. Hope there will be help soon.

RqThrottle
Aug 14, 2007, 11:32 AM
I have a Refurb HD 17 MBP coming to replace my "1st intel gen" 2.16 duo, and I just stumbled upon this topic. I am not a gamer, but I don't fancy installing stuff thats going to slow down the computer on day-to-day issues.

Is the Software Update 1.0 still available from apple? I couldn't find it.

Also, did the people having issues with WoW try to reset the PRAM as one previous poster said? Did it take care of your issue?

Regards,

MrChonks
Sep 23, 2007, 04:37 PM
Reseting the PRAM (3 times in a row) (Apple-Option-P-R at boot) solved the issue for me

Thanks for this tip. I did it once and it resolved the issues I was having. No more choppiness on my system. :)

Dreamer2go
Sep 28, 2007, 09:24 AM
ummm I wonder if leopard will solve this issue.
when leopard comes, I'm going to reinstall MacOSX
fresh clean install

spiggott
Nov 8, 2007, 07:35 AM
Just installed 10.5.1. COD2 still stutters. Incredibly frustrating as I have another user with the previous model MacBook Pro with the Radeon card (which isn't supposed to be as good) and it runs COD2 beautifully and smooth as silk with all settings maxed out.