PDA

View Full Version : New iPhone Ads: 'Instead' and 'Amazing'

MacRumors
Aug 9, 2007, 08:26 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/09/iphonead_500.png

Apple posted two new iPhone ads to their site: Instead (http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad6/) and Amazing (http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad7/)

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/09/new-iphone-ads-instead-and-amazing/)

mmccaskill
Aug 9, 2007, 08:31 PM
It occurred to me while watching both of these that I can't find the ring tone used in either commercial on my iPhone. Did I miss something?

javaGuru
Aug 9, 2007, 08:44 PM
It occurred to me while watching both of these that I can't find the ring tone used in either commercial on my iPhone. Did I miss something?

I noticed the same thing. I couldn't find those ringtones on my phone.

plumbingandtech
Aug 9, 2007, 08:46 PM
Heh.

I want them to make a movie that shows the guy having to delete 47 emails one by one....

;)

G5Unit
Aug 9, 2007, 08:48 PM
YES Thank god The Shins are featured in this commercial, they are an amazing band!

ventro
Aug 9, 2007, 08:57 PM
Amazing is good, the other one is boring. Both of these ads don't seem to have the same production values as before; the camera goes out of focus sometimes and the colors seem off.

siurpeeman
Aug 9, 2007, 08:58 PM

it's always bothered me this ring tone isn't included in the iphone. the iphone doesn't really have a standard cell phone ringer. :(

GreenFreaK
Aug 9, 2007, 09:01 PM
I noticed the same thing. I couldn't find those ringtones on my phone.

Yea, what's up with them using a ring tone that's not available on the iPhone?
i noticed that when the first iPhone ads came out.

p0intblank
Aug 9, 2007, 09:03 PM
Nice, I like them. :)

We need more Mac ads now!

blueflame
Aug 9, 2007, 09:16 PM
the picture of the person calling does not show up next to their name, but as a wallpaper instead
A

p0intblank
Aug 9, 2007, 09:22 PM
the picture of the person calling does not show up next to their name, but as a wallpaper instead
A

In order to do this, I believe you apply the contact's picture via Address Book and sync it from there. When a person calls, it should now display how it is in the ads.

megfilmworks
Aug 9, 2007, 09:34 PM
They must have a reason they use the unknown ringer on every commercial but did not include it ..

puckhead193
Aug 9, 2007, 09:38 PM
what confuses me is that apple used to show the clown fish wallpaper yet didn't include them.
the ads were ok... not great - i think the hype is over

Ha ze
Aug 9, 2007, 10:05 PM
I would have rather seen something else Instead cause these were not Amazing.

sminman
Aug 9, 2007, 10:49 PM
Looks like they don't care about caniabalizing iPod sells!

"Why carry an iPod and a phone?"

"Why not carry an iPod with your favorite music, favorite videos, in your phone?"

These are quotes from the commercial.

Sam

megfilmworks
Aug 9, 2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah, that pretty much proves the point, that they are not afraid of cannibalizing the iPod.

swingerofbirch
Aug 9, 2007, 11:10 PM
Amazing was fine.

Instead was a terribly conceived ad. Why not carry an iPhone instead of your iPod and cell phone?

OK, so the ad is now only targeting people with an iPod and a cell phone.

So if you already have an iPod and a cell phone, and you have too much stuff, you should get another device? Meaning you should do what with your iPod and phone? Well, you could sell your iPod on eBay, and you could pay a $200 termination fee to your cell phone carrier, join ATT, and then buy an iPhone for $500 and pay possibly more per month than you were before for your cell phone.

That does sound simple!

Good lord, why do they ask a "why not" question to which there are a million valid answers!

They obviously are having weaker than expected sales and are trying to cut into their own iPod market.

KD7IWP
Aug 9, 2007, 11:26 PM
These ads don't seem exciting to me. Don't get me wrong, I sure hope they work, I want iPhones to sell. But they don't seem like traditional Apple ads to me and I don't care for the fact that someone is holding the iPhone. Sure that's its normal use and stuff, and that's what they need to portray, but it moves around since it is not on a solid surface and I think it's odd.

chr1s60
Aug 10, 2007, 12:04 AM
I also noticed the picture showing up differently when you get a call. I guess I will have to try doing it the address book way.

Speaking of things that have been shown on iPhone but do not exist, my friend recently pointed out to me that in the Keynote on iPhone the email app has a split view that is not on the actual phone. Anyone else notice/remember this? It probably has been brought up already, I am just slow I guess.

synth3tik
Aug 10, 2007, 12:43 AM
Heh.

I want them to make a movie that shows the guy having to delete 47 emails one by one....

;)

True that, or show his frustration with junk mail and no "junk" button.

sonictonic
Aug 10, 2007, 01:08 AM
The iPhone commercials give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. :)

*hugs his iPhone*

desimus
Aug 10, 2007, 01:23 AM
True that, or show his frustration with junk mail and no "junk" button.

I get maybe at most one junk email per week on my iphone.... i use gmail... guess i'm just lucky?

brooker
Aug 10, 2007, 01:37 AM
Yay MIKA!!

For some reason the ad page doesn't load videos for me... here are direct links for anyone else who might experience this:

http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/iphone/2007/ads/instead/apple_iphone_instead_848x480.mov

http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/iphone/2007/ads/amazing/apple_iphone_amazing_848x480.mov

I agree with the lower-production appearance... but i think it is because they are using an actual iPhone, rather than touching up or remastering the screen of the device? That's ok with me, because it still looks sweet.

Seriously, tho... how do they get the YouTube video to resume in the middle? Nothing i do can get a video to load as fast as it does in the vid. And it is starting a minute or so into the video. Anyone else able to do this like they did?

Also... isn't it amazing that Ok Go covered the entire back wall of the treadmill room with aluminum foil? I thought so. ;)

Frisco
Aug 10, 2007, 05:01 AM
So what's the verdict--does the iPhone live up to all its hype?

thisonechance
Aug 10, 2007, 06:41 AM
So what's the verdict--does the iPhone live up to all its hype?

The answer is a big emphatic yes.

For me at least.

Yankees 4 Life
Aug 10, 2007, 07:34 AM
They must have a reason they use the unknown ringer on every commercial but did not include it ..

Yea i want that ring tone.. maybe this means an imminent update, since its been almost 6 weeks since i got the iphone and thats when it came out.

what confuses me is that apple used to show the clown fish wallpaper yet didn't include them.
the ads were ok... not great - i think the hype is over

the hype aint over, dont hate if you dont own one....

Amazing was fine.

Instead was a terribly conceived ad. Why not carry an iPhone instead of your iPod and cell phone?

OK, so the ad is now only targeting people with an iPod and a cell phone.

So if you already have an iPod and a cell phone, and you have too much stuff, you should get another device? Meaning you should do what with your iPod and phone? Well, you could sell your iPod on eBay, and you could pay a $200 termination fee to your cell phone carrier, join ATT, and then buy an iPhone for $500 and pay possibly more per month than you were before for your cell phone.

That does sound simple!

Good lord, why do they ask a "why not" question to which there are a million valid answers!

They obviously are having weaker than expected sales and are trying to cut into their own iPod market.

has it ever occured to you that people like myself were actually on at&t before they bought the iphone? most people were already att customers...

33scottie33
Aug 10, 2007, 08:20 AM
the hype aint over, dont hate if you dont own one....

I AGREE 100%!! A waiter in a restaurant was complaining to me about the iPhone. I stopped listening once I found out he didn't have one!! :eek:

It's like a blind person complaining about the picture quality of a TV!

MrSmith
Aug 10, 2007, 09:13 AM
Does anyone carry their 'favourite movies' on their phone? Why? They're so good you can't leave home without them?

Manatee
Aug 10, 2007, 09:31 AM
I've thoroughly enjoyed the iPhone hype. Now I'm ready for some functionality.

I'm getting tired of carrying two devices to do what I know one device could do.

phytonix
Aug 10, 2007, 09:40 AM
Does anyone carry their 'favourite movies' on their phone? Why? They're so good you can't leave home without them?

exactly
these ads are stupid.

now i don't want an iphone even more.

network23
Aug 10, 2007, 10:11 AM
Yea, what's up with them using a ring tone that's not available on the iPhone?
i noticed that when the first iPhone ads came out.

Two reasons.

1. The ringtones included on the iPhone are pretty unique. Obviously, they wanted to be different and not provide the same-ol' same-ol' generic rings you find on most phones. That's why you won't find that ringtone on your iPhone.

However...

2. Someone watching the ad would not necessarially recognize them as a "phone ringing" sound in the ad, so they used something more recognizable for the viewers. Kinda like when movies add "standard" sounds -- car chases must have tire squeals (even if on gravel), beeps on computers when there really aren't any, and that record-scratch sound when some event with music is interrupted (how many kids today even know that sound??)

akac
Aug 10, 2007, 02:09 PM

Yeah, we do. Its great to entertain the kids short clips of School House Rock or even sometimes show some of my favorite parts of movies to friends.

My wife adores her iPhone. I want one too, but it won't run my software so oh well.

BoyBach
Aug 10, 2007, 02:54 PM
Does anybody know if there's a way to download the adverts?

ajhill
Aug 11, 2007, 12:48 AM
Does anybody know if there's a way to download the adverts?

Yes, go back to the first page in this thread and "right" click on the link and choose save link as. That's it!

The ads are okay, but for the most part the phone sells itself. Once they get the bugs out and drop the price they will start selling millions of them. Just like the iPod it will take a little while to gain momentum. I asked a buddy what it would take to get him to switch from verizon and he said a $250 price target. I'm guessing he'd go for $300 though.

Apple has plenty of room to cut the price. They just have to wait long enough so the June 29th people don't revolt. Christmas should do nicely.

$350 for the 4GB, $450 for the 8GB. Then round two starts up with a lot more people signing on.

Then the next step would be to add an incentive for people to switch from Verizon or Sprint, say a $75 rebate on their termination fee.

I doubt you will ever see the iPhone go for free, what with the iPod still needing a market.

Everyone wants one, they just don't want to spend the money. And what with Apple sitting on a $500 profit margin per phone ($300 margin + $200 kickback from ATT for each person who signs up) they are definitely in the cat bird seat.

chr1s60
Aug 11, 2007, 02:41 AM
Yes, go back to the first page in this thread and "right" click on the link and choose save link as. That's it!

The ads are okay, but for the most part the phone sells itself. Once they get the bugs out and drop the price they will start selling millions of them. Just like the iPod it will take a little while to gain momentum. I asked a buddy what it would take to get him to switch from verizon and he said a $250 price target. I'm guessing he'd go for $300 though.

Apple has plenty of room to cut the price. They just have to wait long enough so the June 29th people don't revolt. Christmas should do nicely.

$350 for the 4GB, $450 for the 8GB. Then round two starts up with a lot more people signing on.

Then the next step would be to add an incentive for people to switch from Verizon or Sprint, say a $75 rebate on their termination fee.

I doubt you will ever see the iPhone go for free, what with the iPod still needing a market.

Everyone wants one, they just don't want to spend the money. And what with Apple sitting on a $500 profit margin per phone ($300 margin + $200 kickback from ATT for each person who signs up) they are definitely in the cat bird seat.

I don't think the current version of iPhone will ever be $300, a different model possibly, but not this one. I read somewhere that it costs Apple about $200 or $250 per phone made. If that is true, no way will they drop to only a $50 profit off a phone. You also have to remember that Apple has had to replace quite a few phones with G1 issues which they eat the cost of.

IF a price drop comes this year I think at the most it will be $400 and $500 and no lower. If any comes it will likely only be $50 off the current prices. If they drop the price as low as $350 not only will it crush their profit, but it really gives them no room to lower again. A big (more than $50) price drop on a phone this hyped in the first 6 months would probably bring a negative view on iPhone and Apple and make people wonder why Apple would need to make such a move. There is also the possibility of Apple and ATT allowing someone to simply buy a phone without contract or buy with a contract at a $50-100 discount. I guess time will tell.

GulGnu
Aug 13, 2007, 07:43 AM
The answer is a big emphatic yes.

For me at least.

Still a whole lotta waiting left for us poor Yuropians though... :/