PDA

View Full Version : iPod RAID?

codycartoon
Aug 2, 2003, 07:39 PM
i was thinking about this today...but i dont have 2(or 3 or 4) iPods.... i was wondering could you set up Raid on a few iPods? and if so why?

thanks
-Socrates

mnkeybsness
Aug 2, 2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by codycartoon
i was wondering could you set up Raid on a few iPods? and if so why?

i think the real question is...why would you even wonder this, or care? it sounds like a horrible idea. you wouldn't be able to use any ipod independently if you did manage to succeed in raiding them together.

codycartoon
Aug 2, 2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
i think the real question is...why would you even wonder this, or care? it sounds like a horrible idea. you wouldn't be able to use any ipod independently if you did manage to succeed in raiding them together.

:(

mnkeybsness
Aug 2, 2003, 07:55 PM
i didn't mean to offend you...if i did, my apologies...

pretentious
Aug 2, 2003, 08:04 PM
I think it would be one kick-ass geek thing to do, just like the guy w/ the USB Floppy drive RAID (http://ohlssonvox.8k.com/fdd_raid.htm).

So who has several iPods and a Firewire hub to put to this to the test? Can we RAID the iPod?

tjwett
Aug 2, 2003, 10:45 PM
i have 2 here, probably will have access to a third next week when my sister buys one with her new iBook, she's the 4th person i've "switched". i have an original 5Gig, a new 10 Gig, and my sister will probably buy a new 10 Gig as well. the new Pods don't have a standard FireWire connection. will this pose a problem? i'm willing to give it a shot. what do i need to do?

plinkoman
Aug 2, 2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by tjwett
i have 2 here, probably will have access to a third next week when my sister buys one with her new iBook, she's the 4th person i've "switched". i have an original 5Gig, a new 10 Gig, and my sister will probably buy a new 10 Gig as well. the new Pods don't have a standard FireWire connection. will this pose a problem? i'm willing to give it a shot. what do i need to do?

yea, it's a regular firewire connection, it just has a dock connecter on the pod instead of a firewire port, but the cable converts it to firewire

acj
Aug 2, 2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by pretentious
I think it would be one kick-ass geek thing to do, just like the guy w/ the USB Floppy drive RAID (http://ohlssonvox.8k.com/fdd_raid.htm).

So who has several iPods and a Firewire hub to put to this to the test? Can we RAID the iPod?

Sometimes kick-ass geek things end up in usefull inovation.

Though the floppy RAID was only good for geek factor...

rainman::|:|
Aug 3, 2003, 12:39 AM
I for one would be interested in hearing the results. I don't see why it wouldn't work; iPods are treated exactly as (IDE?) drives with a Firewire bridge, which is to say software RAID shouldn't be able to tell them apart from normal drives. I suppose the biggest difficulty might be the fact that iPods come in so many sizes, and you'd ideally want all the same size for the test... But i think most RAIDs can be accomplished with disks of different sizes, it's just a tad more difficult...

pnw

codycartoon
Aug 3, 2003, 02:38 AM
i didn't mean to offend you...if i did, my apologies...

he he i was just kidding

some glitches i see in it...if you do have 2 iPods and you set up a raid with them i think you will only be able to use them as really expensive firewire HDs...i think what RAID does is deals the bytes at the same time...doubling the speed...but i am not sure...i am waiting for someone to try it...

-cody

pretentious
Aug 3, 2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by codycartoon
he he i was just kidding

some glitches i see in it...if you do have 2 iPods and you set up a raid with them i think you will only be able to use them as really expensive firewire HDs...i think what RAID does is deals the bytes at the same time...doubling the speed...but i am not sure...i am waiting for someone to try it...

-cody

Yea it would be just a expensive FW HD, and I think that that is our biggest hurdle right now...but come on it would be RAID iPods! Who else can see a 300 post Slashdot story coming from this? :D

sky131
Aug 3, 2003, 11:50 AM
Damn, and just the other day on eBay there was a guy auctioning off 50 refurbished 10GB iPods as one lot. Those would have been perfect for doing this considering you could find a hub to deal with this many firewire connections.

e-coli
Aug 3, 2003, 12:25 PM
It would be the most expensive RAID system in history per GB.

tjwett
Aug 3, 2003, 12:30 PM
can someone just tell me what i need to do? i only have 3 iPods now. maybe someone with a few more would rather do it. or maybe someone here in NYC would like to pool our resources and we could collaborate. do i just buy a FireWire hub and connect them all and then do the RAID in Disk Utility?

Macmaniac
Aug 3, 2003, 12:37 PM
If you accomplish this feat please post some pics!

codycartoon
Aug 3, 2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by tjwett
can someone just tell me what i need to do? i only have 3 iPods now. maybe someone with a few more would rather do it. or maybe someone here in NYC would like to pool our resources and we could collaborate. do i just buy a FireWire hub and connect them all and then do the RAID in Disk Utility?

*WARNING*
if you do decide to do this you could lose all the data on your iPods and or damage them

1. Buy a firewire hub and connect more than 2 iPods to your mac
2. insert the OS X install CD and restart your computer. Press the "C" key as it is starting up, this will boot from the disk.
3. When you get to the install menu don't install! But open disk utility.
4. Disk utility should display multiple iPods. Click the RAID tab and drag all the iPod icons into the blank box.
5. Click configure and cross your fingers
*past this point i don't know what to expect*
6. Quit the installer and restart

:) good luck

I am very interested on how this will turn out...can't wait to see some pictures....

are those instructions right?

good luck!
-cody

tjwett
Aug 3, 2003, 04:24 PM
ok, that sounds easy enough. now i'm getting cold feet though. losing all the data off the iPods is one thing, but actually rendering them unusable is another. what are the chances i'll destroy these Pods beyond repair? and once i'm done with this little experimenti will be able to reinstall the iPod software and use it again, right? i don't want to ruin my girlfriend and sister's iPods for the sake of being a geek. any more info would be great.

Schiffi
Aug 3, 2003, 05:23 PM
formatting your iPod via disk utility will ruin it. I heard an Apple store person advised someone to not format your iPod via Disk Utility.

tjwett
Aug 3, 2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Schiffi
formatting your iPod via disk utility will ruin it. I heard an Apple store person advised someone to not format your iPod via Disk Utility.

well that settles that then. sorry everybody, i will NOT be doing this anytime soon. oh well. thank you for the warning Schiffi!

arn
Aug 3, 2003, 07:25 PM
someone's done it already:

http://www.jaccorens.com/

scroll down.

arn

codycartoon
Aug 3, 2003, 08:51 PM
http://www.jaccorens.com/index.php?category=1&id=12

wow thats awesome! i wonder if the iPods are OK....

someone should make an inclosure for them...

-cody

bennetsaysargh
Aug 3, 2003, 09:34 PM
sorry, but i see no point in this. unless if he finds a way to hack the iPod OS to do whatever we want, and not void th warranty, or possibly damage the iPod ;)

mim
Aug 3, 2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Schiffi

Well it will erase all your data (music or otherwise), but ruin it?

Just format it again afterwards and run the firmware updater on it - should be as good as new (better even!). I've swapped mine between PC & Mac formats a number of times with no ill effects. Striping for a raid won't be any different.

bograt
Aug 4, 2003, 09:30 AM
I think it is the book called 'iLife' or something like that, can't remember but it does say something about the iPod not being able to last for long periods of time as a hard disk because of something. Personally this sounds like rubbish - but it could be true/useful.

bennetsaysargh
Aug 4, 2003, 09:33 AM
well, my iPod does get hot whenever i keep it pluggde into the computer as a hard drive. that's why i take it out of the case and put it in the dock
i oot into panther off of it and it gets realy hot.

G5orbust
Aug 4, 2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by bograt
I think it is the book called 'iLife' or something like that, can't remember but it does say something about the iPod not being able to last for long periods of time as a hard disk because of something. Personally this sounds like rubbish - but it could be true/useful.

You shouldnt run the ipod for long periods as a straight up hard drive only because the damned thing gets really hot (really no ventilation for that HD in there) and, as we all know, too much heat makes computer parts fail. Im not 100% sure that the most recent iPods have the same heating issue as the older ones while using the iPod for prolonged Firewire HD activity, but that is still certainly a concern that must be met before starting this project.

Java
Aug 4, 2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by pretentious

I think this would elevate someone into the super-geek category. Kudos to the guy who accomplished it.

idea_hamster
Aug 4, 2003, 04:13 PM
Kudos to the person who actually set up the iRAID -- but is it clear that the iPods can ever be set up as iPods again? An earlier poster had suggested that initializing an iPod using Disk Utility might render it unusable as an iPod. I didn't see that that person had show this to be a reversable operation.

iPC
Aug 5, 2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by idea_hamster
Kudos to the person who actually set up the iRAID -- but is it clear that the iPods can ever be set up as iPods again? An earlier poster had suggested that initializing an iPod using Disk Utility might render it unusable as an iPod. I didn't see that that person had show this to be a reversable operation.
Of course you can revert it back. You are just changing the file system. No big deal. Same as switching from Mac (what I bought) to Windows (my laptop is IBM with Mandrake 9.1) file system. This was for the 2nd gen 10GB.

rueyeet
Aug 5, 2003, 11:56 AM
This is definitely one of those geek-cred, because-I-can things. Why reduce such a kick-ass music player to nothing but a hard drive, especially when you can get bigger and more high-performance drives for cheaper? And most definitely not if you're going to ruin the iPod for its intended purpose.

The iPod drive isn't designed to run steadily, either. As someone pointed out, there's no ventilation in that little case. I think Apple actually says that the buffer is larger so that the hard drive won't need to be accessed as often, increasing both battery life and the life of the drive. That would make it a poor candidate for a RAID array.

strat
Sep 1, 2003, 08:35 PM
Am I the only one here who doesn't know what a RAID is?

ZildjianKX
Sep 2, 2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by strat

http://www.powersys.cz/RAIDdef.htm

mim
Sep 2, 2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by strat

Basically you use a few disks to act as one. Speeds up access because a file may be written across several disks.

BTW, check this guy out. He wants to build the worlds largest USB floppy RAID! This is cool it's not funny. (Well, it is funny actually. Very.)

http://ohlssonvox.8k.com/fdd_raid.htm