PDA

View Full Version : 6-8 weeks Wait? PowerBooks?

MacRumors
Aug 4, 2003, 05:03 AM
MacBidouille (http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2003-08-04#330) claims there is now a 6-8 week delay on PowerBooks, hinting at updates soon.

Shiesl
Aug 4, 2003, 05:06 AM
This seems to agree with a Paris announcement. Thus the new PowerBooks may finally be on the way. :)

Aciddan
Aug 4, 2003, 05:16 AM
Well, we've waited this long... :D

It's going to be quite a funny sight:- all the guys wandering into our local reseller and saying:

[Us] We all want them new-fangled 17" powerbooks
[Them] Where should we send the truck?

-- Dan :D
[edit] I didn't realise that www.hardmac.com was an english translation (with a wee bit of a delay) of our fav french site. That was until about a week ago (yes, I am very sheltered) ;)

here is the (human) translation (by Erik at hardmac):

"According to one of our "confidential" sources, all the PowerBooks are now available with a delay of 6 to 8 weeks. None is immediately available.
So far, this type of delay has always been the sign of new models, due very soon."

CheekyGit
Aug 4, 2003, 05:34 AM
One can't help but feel seasick on this boat of rumors. :p

bobindashadows
Aug 4, 2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors
MacBidouille (http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2003-08-04#330) claims there is not a 6-8 week deplay on PowerBooks, hinting at updates soon.

I generally don't point out typos, but this one messes up the whole meaning of the snetence ;) not = now

reflex
Aug 4, 2003, 06:53 AM
The 15" Powerbook ships same day in Belgium. I also checked the US online store and it says 6-7 days. Maybe there was a translation error from French?

chazmox
Aug 4, 2003, 07:26 AM
It would be nice to see some confirmation of this. US Apple store is reporting between 3-5 and 5-7 days on all PB's ( except the 17 which is available immediately ). Hopefully more confirming evidence will show up today.

will
Aug 4, 2003, 07:45 AM
Hmmm, this doesn't tie in with the UK Apple store, all Powerbooks seem to be ready to ship 'same day'. (I just added one of each model to my cart and checked).

I got a refurb 12" Powerbook today, it's very nice! I decided that as G5 isn't coming to PB for a while, and with my iBook long in tooth a 12" would be nice.

Bascule
Aug 4, 2003, 07:49 AM
Yes I just noticed that. Pity, seemed like a good hint.

Think Ill be looking at the referb store again on Wednesday as well (after taking to long to decide last week)

IDTheft
Aug 4, 2003, 07:59 AM
Um....is there or isn't there a "deplay"? What is it anyway;)

slightly
Aug 4, 2003, 08:22 AM
Clearly, "deplay" is the opposite of "replay". Replay means to come again or be seen again, so "deplay" would mean "to not be seen again".

According to the rumour, there is *not* a deplay. Two nots cancel each other out, and therefore the obvious meaning of the rumour is that we *will* be seeing PowerBooks again in 6 to 8 weeks.

Marvellous.

Matt

DeltaMac
Aug 4, 2003, 08:24 AM
'deplay' means to no longer participate in non-work (I think) :)

mactastic
Aug 4, 2003, 08:30 AM
Hehehe... is this the weekly "Powerbooks Due Within Days!" thread? Weird, but I keep getting deja vu reading this thread.:D

DrGonzo
Aug 4, 2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by mactastic
Hehehe... is this the weekly "Powerbooks Due Within Days!" thread? Weird, but I keep getting deja vu reading this thread.:D

No this is the daily/bi-daily powerbook rumor. I want them though! Later, gotta goto work :(

CountZero
Aug 4, 2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by slightly
Clearly, "deplay" is the opposite of "replay". Replay means to come again or be seen again, so "deplay" would mean "to not be seen again".

According to the rumour, there is *not* a deplay. Two nots cancel each other out, and therefore the obvious meaning of the rumour is that we *will* be seeing PowerBooks again in 6 to 8 weeks.

Marvellous.

Matt

Won't the sentense make more sense if we assume there is TWO typos? not->now, and deplay->delay?

DeltaMac
Aug 4, 2003, 09:25 AM
Typos!? I was assuming that the translation from the macbidouille was as accurate as their info normally is. Why should any crappy translation affect the validity of a rumor from macbidouille?

gadg
Aug 4, 2003, 09:27 AM
So when the Powerbooks do finally come out, does that mean they will be available immediately ... or will I have to 'please allow 28 days for delivery' or something?

The reason for me asking is because I will be buying one in New York even though I live in Amsterdam. So I would have to book the ticket :-) I won't do this ofcourse, unless I have actually purchased and have a confirmed delivery date ... but I was just wondering, 'just so I know'.

DeltaMac
Aug 4, 2003, 09:44 AM
I can confirm that Macbidouille has a poor track record for their rumors (of course, they throw a lot of rumors out there, so some rumors do turn out OK) Don't set your clock (or purchase airline tickets) on the basis of rumors! At least you will have a clue when Apple actually announces anything (sometimes immediately available, more often there is an announced delay) the only real news is when you have the unit in your hand!

kb9000
Aug 4, 2003, 10:06 AM
A friend who just bought a 15.2" PB got hers in 3 days... this all happened a week ago. It shipped faster than an iPod in the same order.

freundt
Aug 4, 2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by DrGonzo
No this is the daily/bi-daily powerbook rumor. I want them though! Later, gotta goto work :(

I am jack's emotional yo-yo.

superfula
Aug 4, 2003, 10:58 AM
Deplay? The opposite of replay? Thats hilarious. Too bad there's no such word as deplay. The word that was meant to be used is 'delay'. It is merely a spelling error.

IDTheft
Aug 4, 2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by freundt

What in the world do you mean :confused:

freundt
Aug 4, 2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by IDTheft

From the movie fight club.
Throughtout the movie the voiceover keeps saying things like "I am jack's spleen".

So, in regards to powerbook update rumors- I am Jack's emotional yo-yo.
Meaning I am happy then sad, happy then sad.

Kinda loses any semblance of humour during explanation. But then, was it ever funny to begin with? :p

_f

chazmox
Aug 4, 2003, 11:09 AM
Yes it was! And I got the reference!

Anything for you, sir!

JtheLemur
Aug 4, 2003, 11:09 AM
"snetence"? "deplay"? where am I?

weev
Aug 4, 2003, 11:12 AM

It's a kind of pun, I think, of that old medical column in Reader's Digest. Y'now, I am Jack's spleen (and other body parts).

That's my guess, but I am not guessing when the PB's will arrive.

I hope the 12" had a DV adapter thingo so I can connect it to my cinema display. Then, and only then, JOY!

cubist
Aug 4, 2003, 11:25 AM
Actually, I should think "deplay" would mean that a play was cancelled, e.g. a referree calling back a touchdown or goal because of an ineligible receiver, etc.

So if there is not a deplay, the new PowerBooks will be available in 6 to 8 weeks.

As for "snentence"...

Chef Ramen
Aug 4, 2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by weev
It's a kind of pun, I think, of that old medical column in Reader's Digest. Y'now, I am Jack's spleen (and other body parts).

That's my guess, but I am not guessing when the PB's will arrive.

I hope the 12" had a DV adapter thingo so I can connect it to my cinema display. Then, and only then, JOY!

those "i am jack's...." things are real?? i thought they made it up for fight club :eek:

bobindashadows
Aug 4, 2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by JtheLemur

Hehe... I didn't think I had to mention that I was using irony. Though it would've been funnier if I had made the typo and turned a word into another one. Too bad I missed the "deplay" thing.

smartperson
Aug 4, 2003, 12:15 PM
Well, I honestly can't rightly understand what this message means!

If I had to take a guess, it might mean that the new powerbooks are ready for shipping 1.5 to 2 months from now. This would mean that in classic Apple style, the machines would be announced a month or two earlier. This, I believe, would make them believe it would be updated soon.

I dunno.

My brain hurts...

A lot.

StuPid QPid
Aug 4, 2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by JtheLemur

In the twitlight zone?

By the way...
I have a spill chucker, bit at doesn't seam to bee wok king ;)

arn
Aug 4, 2003, 12:53 PM
sorry guys

was late when I posted it. didn't proof it I guess. corrected.

arn

IDTheft
Aug 4, 2003, 12:53 PM
Uh...if this "deplay" is true, does it mean no one can buy a new powerbook for the next 2 months! What kinda business is Apple running? Have you ever heard of any other business going out of stock for a couple months. :rolleyes:

Jeez, if this were true, better get your pb if you need it within the next 6-8 weeks or be screwed.

Zuckuss
Aug 4, 2003, 12:55 PM

I am Jack's growing power-book rumor ulcer.

vniow
Aug 4, 2003, 01:10 PM
15" Powerbook tracker (many places out of stock) (http://www.macprices.com/g4tracker.shtml)

12" Powerbook price tracker (many places also out of stock) (http://www.macprices.com/12pbtracker.shtml)

17" Powerbook price tracker (only Best Buy out of stock, hmm...) (http://www.macprices.com/17pbtracker.shtml)

questron5000
Aug 4, 2003, 01:18 PM
It makes sense why steve-o is waiting until paris to announce new PBs. Paris is undergoing a WiFi revolution.

http://slashdot.org/articles/03/05/05/1720212.shtml?tid=137&tid=193

jaedreth
Aug 4, 2003, 02:01 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict the powerbook updates come tomorrow. I know, I know, throw rotten tomatoes at me.

I don't think Apple is gonna wait until September if they don't have to.

Apple has waited long enough.

Now Apple may *announce* new iBooks and iMacs in September, even if they don't ship until later.

Everything's gone very quiet, and I think Moto likely has their yields up by now, especially with Steve yelling down their throats.

Who knows, this could be a pipe dream.

08-05-03

Jaedreth

FriarTuck
Aug 4, 2003, 02:02 PM
Ha! Your silly MacBooBoo has no more power over me.
My PB has cleared customs and is headed over the Pacific.
What did people do before they could track shipments online?
Oh, I remember. We worked.

How appropriate that I recently surrendered to the urge to buy a PB after months of waiting, and now the new PB's might be unveiled in France, where they know a thing or two about surrendering.

cb911
Aug 4, 2003, 04:39 PM
that sounds pretty crazy. a 6-8 week wait would mean that Apple would have to bring an update soon. MacBidouille was accurate with the G5 predictions wasn't it? this could be hinting at a Paris release, but damn. that's a long time.

but Apple won't have any choice but to wait until Paris if Moto can't get good yields of the 7457.:(

and on that Slashdot article: Paris as one big Wi-Fi hotspot!!! :D sweet!! :D i want Brisbane to be a giant Wi-Fi hotspot on the map of Australia. :p :D

Zuckuss
Aug 4, 2003, 05:23 PM
\\
Kinda loses any semblance of humour during explanation. But then, was it ever funny to begin with? :p

_f

Oh, it is still a wonderful piece of dark humor. Fight Club is one of the greatest modern art pieces in regards to books/movies.

IDTheft
Aug 4, 2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by jaedreth
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict the powerbook updates come tomorrow. I know, I know, throw rotten tomatoes at me.

I don't think Apple is gonna wait until September if they don't have to.

Apple has waited long enough.

Now Apple may *announce* new iBooks and iMacs in September, even if they don't ship until later.

Everything's gone very quiet, and I think Moto likely has their yields up by now, especially with Steve yelling down their throats.

Who knows, this could be a pipe dream.

08-05-03

Jaedreth

Hmmm...how I wish. If it did come true, I'll be returning my 12" PB to Amazon. I'd be willing to sell my soul if Apple comes out with the 15" PB tomorrow.

mvc
Aug 4, 2003, 05:59 PM
Hmmm...how I wish.. I'd be willing to sell my soul if Apple comes out with the 15" PB tomorrow.

We should put our wishing to good use.. Perhaps if we all wish simultaneously while reading these fricking rumours we could summon new g5 powerbooks out of the quantum field, perhaps from some other parallel universe where Bloatarola never existed!

This is possibly a more plausible outcome than any actual updates anytime soon. :D

Rx7 Fan
Aug 4, 2003, 06:11 PM
NO WAY apple is going to update tomorrow since their iPods deal is still going on (buy a notebook w/ an ipod and get $200 of mail in rebate)! With that being said I just checked today at my school (CSULB) and there is 1 15" powerbook left! So after that one 15" is sold, how's the rest of the Cal State Long Beach students going to get their hands on 15? :( :(

freundt
Aug 4, 2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Rx7 Fan
NO WAY apple is going to update tomorrow since their iPods deal is still going on (buy a notebook w/ an ipod and get $200 of mail in rebate)! With that being said I just checked today at my school (CSULB) and there is 1 15" powerbook left! So after that one 15" is sold, how's the rest of the Cal State Long Beach students going to get their hands on 15? :( :(

hmm.. does anyone know about apple and their promotions in regards to updates?
The question being - have they ever updated a product which had a promotion tied to it? Do they even seem to care if a promotion is tied to the product or not?

_f

jaedreth
Aug 4, 2003, 06:45 PM
Promotions are only for products they want cleared, not new ones...

Jaedreth

chazmox
Aug 4, 2003, 06:50 PM
If I remember correctly, Apple had an iPod promotion around the time that the new iPods were released and there was no coorelation between the release and the promotion end. In fact, I think the release was before the promotion end, but I do not have the date memorized.

Apple may be able to end those promotion anytime and without notice ( or just simply say they applied to the old models... )

jaedreth
Aug 4, 2003, 06:58 PM
Yes, but then again, for old products they wanted to clear.

They didn't have the promo for the old ipods apply to the new ones.

And just because an iPod promo is going on, doesn't mean a new non-ipod product won't be announced. The promo is on the ipod.

Not saying there will be, but also saying it doesn't mean there won't.

Jaedreth

DrGonzo
Aug 4, 2003, 08:36 PM
I'd be willing to sell my soul if Apple comes out with the 15" PB tomorrow.

I got dibs.

Oh, it is still a wonderful piece of dark humor. Fight Club is one of the greatest modern art pieces in regards to books/movies.

PLEASE, it's an OK book, and a pretty good movie, but to call it one of the greatest modern art pieces... come on, you need to read/watch more movies/get out more. Ok, Ok maybe i'm being to harsh, if you consider it one of the greatest out of 1000 great pieces of modern art (leaning towards 999). I own the dvd and the book, chuck palanuchuck (sp) is an OK author and i don't think fight club is his best book.

Aciddan
Aug 4, 2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by cb911
and on that Slashdot article: Paris as one big Wi-Fi hotspot!!! :D sweet!! :D i want Brisbane to be a giant Wi-Fi hotspot on the map of Australia. :p :D

I really don't want to go out the front of my building and see a huge chalk )( ;)

once I get the 17" tho I think I might do a bit of a war drive - I hear there are some hot spots in Paddington...

Now, If only the 3 Monkeys had WiFi - I could 'Tellecommute' and have Affogatos!

-- Dan :D

solvs
Aug 4, 2003, 09:28 PM
I think it's funny that those who are making jokes about the spelling errors are making spelling errors. Even funnier that this thread seems to be filled with so many newbies. Are the "regulars" even bothering to click on the new PowerBook threads?

New PowerBooks will be here later this month, or Sept. By the earliest. But I hope I'm wrong.

mvc
Aug 4, 2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by solvs
Even funnier that this thread seems to be filled with so many newbies. Are the "regulars" even bothering to click on the new PowerBook threads?

Even newbs like myself have been here long enough to see how silly the powerbook rumours have become. I'm just here looking to see how weird this site becomes once we start basing our purchasing decisions on the tarot reading or psychic hotlines that are favoured by good old MacPoodle or MacPiddle or whatever it is- but please note, not all macrumors newbies are MAC newbies. ;)

actionslacks
Aug 4, 2003, 10:18 PM
I think it's funny that those who are making jokes about the spelling errors are making spelling errors. Even funnier that this thread seems to be filled with so many newbies. Are the "regulars" even bothering to click on the new PowerBook threads?

Ummm... You are. :)

I convinced myself that I needed a 15" Powerbook a month ago and have been waiting for an update to decide if I "need" a new one or if I should try to get a better deal on a 15" TiBook when the AlBooks appear.

So I did the only rational thing I could think of - I decided to buy a Dual 2.0 G5.

At least I know that those will ship ....sometime.

brig
Aug 4, 2003, 10:40 PM
and how do I know? well simple, I purchased a 12" PB along with an ipod and a few other things (printer, printer cable). I purchased on the 19th of july....it got moved to the 4th of august, and now, and I just got my shipping moved back again to the 13th of august. Thats a wednesday. I reckon apple could update that tuesday. I sure hope so, i need that thing asap.

mim
Aug 4, 2003, 10:58 PM

yes, but our spelling is atricoitois, so we aren't posting.

funkywhat2
Aug 4, 2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by FriarTuck
How appropriate that I recently surrendered to the urge to buy a PB after months of waiting, and now the new PB's might be unveiled in France, where they know a thing or two about surrendering.

Do I detect a hint of anger in the mere mention of France?

hacurio1
Aug 4, 2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Rx7 Fan

Whats the point of having a promotion and no portables to sell? As mentioned above, Apple has no PB left in stock, NADA, ZIPO. What is the point of a promotion if there is no product to sell it along with? There is no way Apple will wait until September. Either they will soon get PB shipped form the factory, or there is an imminent update!!!

pimentoLoaf
Aug 4, 2003, 11:25 PM
CDW shows 1ghz PB's on a 4-6 day wait (http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=439468) -- so grab 'em while you can.

chazmox
Aug 4, 2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by brig
and how do I know? well simple, I purchased a 12" PB along with an ipod and a few other things (printer, printer cable). I purchased on the 19th of july....it got moved to the 4th of august, and now, and I just got my shipping moved back again to the 13th of august. Thats a wednesday. I reckon apple could update that tuesday. I sure hope so, i need that thing asap.

That's VERY interesting... are you sure that it's the PB holding the order up?

BTW, about Fight Club, I liked both the book and the movie, but I liked the movie better. IMHO, the adaptation to the screen brought a depth to the characters and story that was missing in the book. Funny, it's usually the other way around.

actionslacks
Aug 5, 2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by brig

This was from The Apple Store? Education?

WhizKid
Aug 5, 2003, 12:45 AM
i ordered my 12" pb last friday off of apple education and it said it would ship on or before the 6th, so i'm not sure what the delay is.

WhizKid
Aug 5, 2003, 01:02 AM
double post

actionslacks
Aug 5, 2003, 02:50 AM
... maybe next Tuesday.

alst
Aug 5, 2003, 03:02 AM
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I have a question re new powerbooks. Have just ordered a 12inch combo powerbook with 640mb from apple australia.

If new powerbooks are announced soon, will apple still ship my 867mhz or will they hold my order and upgrade it to the revision b which has been promised for so long?

btw - i asked apple aussie when I ordered about new product, they stated still had heaps of Tibooks in stock...

ordered on 1/8/03 shipping date listed as 10 business days i.e. 15/8/03. will advise if this changes at all

jbomber
Aug 5, 2003, 04:18 AM
Best sign that the new powerbooks are coming soon:

I finally said "Screw this", and put down the cash for a big ole 17".

New hardware should be released any day now. :)

Mokona
Aug 5, 2003, 04:27 AM
When is MacWorld Paris anyway? I need a new lappy bad! (And I can finally afford one! Woot!)

Im looking forward to finding out what Apple has in store graphics-wise for the 12"... Would be neat to at least try to play games on it...

pstoehr
Aug 5, 2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by WhizKid
i ordered my 12" pb last friday off of apple education and it said it would ship on or before the 6th, so i'm not sure what the delay is.
Here in Germany 12" are available at the same day ...

fratrow
Aug 5, 2003, 09:55 AM
OK... Here's my theory...

Rev B 12" Powerbooks HAVE ALREADY BEEN RELEASED... Just one problem... They have the SAME SPECIFICATIONS as the original ones, and come in the same packaging...

To buy or not to buy... That is the question...

crenz
Aug 5, 2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by kb9000
A friend who just bought a 15.2" PB got hers in 3 days... this all happened a week ago. It shipped faster than an iPod in the same order.

Now this is very clearly evidence for a new G5 PowerBook! Basically, by now SJ hates Motorola so much that he wants to get the G4 PBs out of the door as soon as possible, and when all stock is sold, the new G5 PB will be introduced!

I'm serious!

Not. :)

fratrow
Aug 5, 2003, 10:12 AM
Oh.... and on some other rumor site, they say that Steve will be personally delivering the first dozen new PBs directly to the end users...

That way, the corporate jet can get some badly-needed frequent flier miles...

;)

wowoah
Aug 5, 2003, 10:18 AM

New hardware should be released any day now.

Hahaha! This is so true it's not even funny.

The problem now is that I've decided to wait, which is a sure sign that Apple won't be upgrading PowerBooks until I'm senile and crippled with arthritis and no longer able to adequately use a trackpad.

GIVE ME MY POWERBOOK. NOW NOW NOW.

That is all.

snofseth
Aug 5, 2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by fratrow

That way, the corporate jet can get some badly-needed frequent flier miles...

;)
Frequent flier miles on a corporate jet? yah right. I dont want to talk about the powerbook thing because this is rediculus. Im starting to get mad a my 12" the footpads are comeing off and before one came off i had a wobble with all four on now its gone because the missing foot pad evens it out. I took it to the apple store and they did not want to help me, but they said apple told them they were releasing a footpad repair kit for the 12" but they don't know when. that was good news

jaedreth
Aug 5, 2003, 12:48 PM
If Apple doesn't revamp its powerbook line until Apple Expo, Apple will be totally out of powerbooks to sell before then. Well before. It seems obvious to me that Apple has stopped producing powerbooks, and is selling only what it has left, and may be shuffling around inventory to meet demand.

I think it would be very bad if Apple were to have to put up on the Apple Store late this month "Out of Stock". However, that would indicate that updates are immenent.

With that all said, I hope they do release them sooner.

Jaedreth

tizza
Aug 5, 2003, 05:33 PM
Hmmm Sep 16 for Mac Expo Paris is indeed a long way away - still if the new PB's came out then, Apple may even surprise us and have them pre-installed with Panther!! (ok prob wishful thinking)

freundt
Aug 5, 2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by tizza
Hmmm Sep 16 for Mac Expo Paris is indeed a long way away - still if the new PB's came out then, Apple may even surprise us and have them pre-installed with Panther!! (ok prob wishful thinking)

see I have a problem with a september release.. especially if they are planning on releasing g5 pb's at the first of 04.

that's what? 4 months between the two?

Is it even worth releasing G4's at that point?

I still say apple is holding out for g5 pb's before they release new versions. (Ok, I *HOPE*)

_f

rjstanford
Aug 5, 2003, 05:59 PM
New PowerBooks will be here later this month, or Sept. By the earliest. But I hope I'm wrong. You want 'em later then? In December maybe?

-Richard

sacrilicious
Aug 5, 2003, 06:36 PM
If you accept that the 15" will never be updated, you'll be a lot happier to find out when it is.

jaedreth
Aug 5, 2003, 06:40 PM
Actually, just because Apple announces PowerBook G5 in January doesn't mean it will actually ship in January. I'd bet it doesn't ship until March, which would be 6 months, a more reasonable timeframe.

And yes, Apple will release PowerBook G4 updates by September (At this point I doubt the date will slip to October excepting backorders).

Apple needs something to sell during the Christmas season, even if it missed the start of the school year.

And also, sales are normally slower after Christmas, so Apple could announce the new PowerBook G5 in Jan, ship in March, and not hurt it's sales too much, especially if they had iBook updates *in* January to boost sales of the consumer portables.

From here on out, as Apple phases Motorola out, expect updates more often.

Jaedreth

AllenPSU
Aug 5, 2003, 10:41 PM
I've been planning on buying a laptop in August or September so I was curious about the possible delays.

I called the Apple Store and priced a 12" PowerBook and a 12" iBook (both with 640MB ram and 60GB HD's).

The sales person said the computers could be built and in the mail within 2-3 days. He noted that if I waited, there might be a delay on 60GB HD's.

From what he said, I don't think the PowerBooks are in short supply at Apple Store US.

pstoehr
Aug 6, 2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by AllenPSU
The sales person said the computers could be built and in the mail within 2-3 days. He noted that if I waited, there might be a delay on 60GB HD's.

The same here in Germany!

Peter

BlainKBanquier
Aug 6, 2003, 12:13 PM
FWIW, when I ordered my 12" Powerbook from the Apple Store last night, I asked whether I'd have any recourse if there were to be a better faster newer version in a week. She said "that's not gonna happen. These will be around for awhile." And here's the real conspiracy-nerd kicker: her name was Lisa.

DrGonzo
Aug 6, 2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by BlainKBanquier
FWIW, when I ordered my 12" Powerbook from the Apple Store last night, I asked whether I'd have any recourse if there were to be a better faster newer version in a week. She said "that's not gonna happen. These will be around for awhile." And here's the real conspiracy-nerd kicker: her name was Lisa.

I don't know who lisa is, and what's her definition of "awhile". Personally i think the people who take orders and what not don't have much of an idea into the roadmap of Apple. And what's the deal with the name lisa?

jaedreth
Aug 6, 2003, 04:09 PM
Duuuuude...

The precursor to the Macintosh, a failed experiment however a shipping product, was the Apple Lisa.

http://fp3.antelecom.net/gcifu/applemuseum/lisa2.html

It offered a GUI far less refined than Macintosh System 1, and it was *SLOW*, but it was bleeding edge at the time.

Jaedreth

yuc7zhd2
Aug 6, 2003, 05:41 PM
The 12" pbook with superdrive is "not stocked/discontinued" at amazon. The ship dates on everything except for 17s ranges from 3-7 business days, but some buyers have reported longer waits, such as on this board. Perhaps the 17 availability explains the internal discounts, as the consumer demand has been low / not as high as anticipated due to higher pricing?

WasteGate
Aug 6, 2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by wowoah
The problem now is that I've decided to wait, which is a sure sign that Apple won't be upgrading PowerBooks until I'm senile and crippled with arthritis and no longer able to adequately use a trackpad.

I've been waiting for an updated 15" since Jan when they announced the 12" and 17". What an idiot.

Apple are not releasing any new laptops anytime soon. Period :mad:

I'm just waiting for a new Powerbook rumor to say that Apple have dumped laptops and releasing tablets or better still the G5 Newton is coming... :rolleyes:

DrGonzo
Aug 6, 2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by jaedreth
Duuuuude...

The precursor to the Macintosh, a failed experiment however a shipping product, was the Apple Lisa.

http://fp3.antelecom.net/gcifu/applemuseum/lisa2.html

It offered a GUI far less refined than Macintosh System 1, and it was *SLOW*, but it was bleeding edge at the time.

Jaedreth

hahahah i guess i shouldn't post stoned. I COMPLETELY forgot about the lisa, haha. :rolleyes:

Mokona
Aug 7, 2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by yuc7zhd2
The 12" pbook with superdrive is "not stocked/discontinued" at amazon. The ship dates on everything except for 17s ranges from 3-7 business days, but some buyers have reported longer waits, such as on this board. Perhaps the 17 availability explains the internal discounts, as the consumer demand has been low / not as high as anticipated due to higher pricing?
I remember hearing that the superdrive version was available for a limited time only, maybe time has run out?

jaedreth
Aug 7, 2003, 01:41 PM
Apple doesn't do limited time configs.

It's just backordered.

Jaedreth

plutnicki
Aug 7, 2003, 01:58 PM
Isn't the 12" powerbook one of the PBs that Best Buy is now stocking. It could be that Apple redirected a bunch of inventory to get those stores stocked up and ready to go.

Couldn't that explain SOME of the delays in getting the current powerbooks?

brig
Aug 7, 2003, 10:23 PM
it took me 24 real (non bus.) days to get my 12" 60 Gig PB shipped. 18 business days for a 1-3 day wait. ridiculous. absolutely ridiculous. at least apple upgraded my shipping (2 day instead of normal...but its coming from sacramento and I live in tulsa, so its not like its THAT big of a benefit). Anyways, something is going on at apple. maybe they are out of drives, maybe out of computers, im just hoping this new august 19th rumor is not true. do u know how much that would suck??? (well for me, not all u patient non college people)

AllenPSU
Aug 8, 2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by plutnicki
Isn't the 12" powerbook one of the PBs that Best Buy is now stocking. It could be that Apple redirected a bunch of inventory to get those stores stocked up and ready to go.

Couldn't that explain SOME of the delays in getting the current powerbooks?

Sounds as good as anything else!

I know that everyone is waiting for a major upgrade, but I would be happy if they just added USB 2.0.

Unfortunately, I have to buy a computer next week and I will have to go with whatever they are offering.

aryeh
Aug 8, 2003, 10:28 AM
Went to MacWorld NYC & was very disappointed. BORING to say the least. And no new powerbooks! The 15" is ancient in my books.

I do pro audio & need a powerful pro portable.

The G4 portable line is supposed to be this.
HOWEVER, no level 3 cache in 12" (my first pick due to size; will hook up to second montior in studio). Level 3 is needed in these ancient G4's for audio/soft synth plug ins. The G5 doesn't need the level 3 from what I hear.

17" too big.
15" too out of date.
Besides, from what I hear, the 15" is real world faster than the 17". Go figure.

My philosophy: One "should" be able to buy any laptop in the pro line according to the size of monitor wanted (in other words, how portable one needs to be) and not according to the features required. Make the same features available across the board.

DOES ONE HAVE TO BUY THE BIGGEST, BULKIEST MACHINE IN ORDER TO GET THE MOST POWER? Foolish marketing in my books.

Waiting for the update. I need a new machine for portable pro audio.
Next machine is to take me through to the G5 portable (unless of course the next machine is this baby); however, if next machine aint much, might go used until the G5 is out.

Aryeh
www.Har-Even.com

Apple user since 1987.

TMJ1974
Aug 10, 2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by aryeh
Went to MacWorld NYC & was very disappointed. BORING to say the least. And no new powerbooks! The 15" is ancient in my books.

I do pro audio & need a powerful pro portable.

The G4 portable line is supposed to be this.
HOWEVER, no level 3 cache in 12" (my first pick due to size; will hook up to second montior in studio). Level 3 is needed in these ancient G4's for audio/soft synth plug ins. The G5 doesn't need the level 3 from what I hear.

17" too big.
15" too out of date.
Besides, from what I hear, the 15" is real world faster than the 17". Go figure.

My philosophy: One "should" be able to buy any laptop in the pro line according to the size of monitor wanted (in other words, how portable one needs to be) and not according to the features required. Make the same features available across the board.

DOES ONE HAVE TO BUY THE BIGGEST, BULKIEST MACHINE IN ORDER TO GET THE MOST POWER? Foolish marketing in my books.

Waiting for the update. I need a new machine for portable pro audio.
Next machine is to take me through to the G5 portable (unless of course the next machine is this baby); however, if next machine aint much, might go used until the G5 is out.

Aryeh
www.Har-Even.com

Apple user since 1987.

You said it brother! I too an looking for a laptop with some power (for school). Multimedia design is heavy on the processor, and L3 cache would be great. BUT, my budget (and backpack) really say the 12" is what I need. If Apple skimps on the "pro" features of the 12"PB, why shouldn't I get the iBook. Oooops, I forgot...they are cutting the G3s (in the current iBook) power to make the PB look better.

Give me the 200Mhz real DDR FSB of the G3, with the 1.2Ghz I believe it scales to. -OR- make the 12" worth the extra couple hundred $$$

Tim

nixd2001
Aug 10, 2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by jbomber

New hardware should be released any day now. :)

I ordered a 17" PB on Wed. Apple Store UK said same-day build. It's now Sunday PM (alrighy, so they don't work over the weekend!) and my order is still being assembled, even although the Store site still says same day yada yada.

Dunno if ordering with developer discount means they take longer actually doing things, or whether the dates shown before you place the order are only very approximate?

But I want my PB now! Yes, there's be another version along soon, but by the time Apple have worked how to build it and ship it in quantity, it'll probably be October, and I'm not waiting that long.

TMJ1974
Aug 10, 2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by nixd2001
I ordered a 17" PB on Wed. Apple Store UK said same-day build. It's now Sunday PM (alrighy, so they don't work over the weekend!) and my order is still being assembled, even although the Store site still says same day yada yada.

Dunno if ordering with developer discount means they take longer actually doing things, or whether the dates shown before you place the order are only very approximate?

But I want my PB now! Yes, there's be another version along soon, but by the time Apple have worked how to build it and ship it in quantity, it'll probably be October, and I'm not waiting that long.

Developer orders do take longer :rolleyes: Why I don't know.

Tim