PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases AirPort Base Station Update 2007-002

MacRumors
Aug 13, 2007, 06:30 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/13/apple-releases-airport-base-station-update-2007-002/)

Apple has released (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/airportbasestationupdate2007002formac.html) AirPort Base Station Update 2007-002 for Mac.

The 7.7MB download includes general fixes and compatibility updates for the following applications:

- AirPort Utility
- AirPort Disk Utility
- AirPort Base Station Agent

AirPort Utility v5.2.1 for Mac OS X 10.4.x or later software supports the AirPort Extreme Base Station with 802.11n, AirPort Extreme Base Station and AirPort Express Base Station.

Article Link: Apple Releases AirPort Base Station Update 2007-002 (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/13/apple-releases-airport-base-station-update-2007-002/)

dlastmango
Aug 13, 2007, 06:38 PM
Hopefully speed issues are resolved!
My update is 8.9MB

EDIT: Don't look at me... :) I didn't vote yet. I will after i install and test it though.

Peace
Aug 13, 2007, 06:38 PM
Good Grief!!
No comments and already a negative vote.What IS with some people?

Thanatoast
Aug 13, 2007, 06:39 PM
Airport Disk Utility? I don't suppose this would do anything so cool as enabling me to plug an external hard drive into my Airport Express?

Nah...

cash4chaos
Aug 13, 2007, 06:40 PM
If its not bad its good ! :apple: :)

Black Belt
Aug 13, 2007, 06:45 PM
Keep releasing updates until it works, but how about some more features?

mkrishnan
Aug 13, 2007, 06:58 PM
If the new Airport Utility supports the old AEBS (now?), can I install it to use instead of Airport Admin utility et al?

minik
Aug 13, 2007, 07:22 PM
includes general fixes and compatibility updates

These kind of description doesn't mean a thing to me.

Oops.. my stupidity. I moved all the AirPort-related apps to another folder.

I noticed something new, e.g. no more dialogue box for assist me or manual setup, detects which specific model of AirPort base station(s) I have.

sailnavy
Aug 13, 2007, 07:34 PM
Software update found it for me. It didn't update the actual base stations, just the software. I was having problems with the software detecting my base stations, perhaps it's a fix for that.

blueskybyway
Aug 13, 2007, 07:58 PM
Just updated and my internet connection is definitely much faster.

lightsout
Aug 13, 2007, 08:08 PM
Airport Disk Utility? I don't suppose this would do anything so cool as enabling me to plug an external hard drive into my Airport Express?

Nah...

Pending a sarcasm detector - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5bjG204aIM - yes, you can do that. :P

quovadis
Aug 13, 2007, 08:13 PM
My gigabit AEBS arrives tomorrow from Apple :D

Westside guy
Aug 13, 2007, 09:31 PM
If the new Airport Utility supports the old AEBS (now?), can I install it to use instead of Airport Admin utility et al?

If you try to use the installer, it'll tell you "no". But you can open up the package and install the pieces yourself (I just did). It seems to work just fine; plus none of the pieces replace anything from the rev. 4 admin utility so you don't have to worry too much about breakage. :D

mkrishnan
Aug 13, 2007, 09:46 PM
Ahhh, thanks! :)

But then the contents don't seem to have anything usable for me. I guess I have to backtrack to an earlier file and actually get Airport Utility 5.0 installed... not that I really need it. :)

Animaniac
Aug 13, 2007, 09:47 PM
Just updated and my internet connection is definitely much faster.

Wtf?! This is an updated for the configuration utility not the base station firmware. Your base station isn't updated in anyway. There should be no change in network performance.

Westside guy
Aug 13, 2007, 09:55 PM
Ahhh, thanks! :)

But then the contents don't seem to have anything usable for me. I guess I have to backtrack to an earlier file and actually get Airport Utility 5.0 installed... not that I really need it. :)

Open the Archive.pax.gz file - it'll contain files that need to go into /System/Library and /Applications/Utilities.

Of course, if anything breaks - you get to keep both pieces. :p

dmied
Aug 13, 2007, 11:12 PM
I was hoping this update would finally fix my external harddrive issue, but no dice. The drive is recognized by my computer, but when I try to connect to the drive with the password, the base station goes offline and won't come back on until I physically unplug the drive from basestation. If it weren't for the speed bump from my original Airport, I'd be thinking about asking for a refund right about now. I think the base station firmware needs an update to fix this problem, and I know from Apple's support forums I'm not the only one with this issue.:mad:

Kaptajn Haddock
Aug 13, 2007, 11:37 PM
I was hoping this update would finally fix my external harddrive issue, but no dice. The drive is recognized by my computer, but when I try to connect to the drive with the password, the base station goes offline and won't come back on until I physically unplug the drive from basestation. If it weren't for the speed bump from my original Airport, I'd be thinking about asking for a refund right about now. I think the base station firmware needs an update to fix this problem, and I know from Apple's support forums I'm not the only one with this issue.:mad:

I have the exact same problem, and so does many others when you look in Apple discussions.

Lollypop
Aug 14, 2007, 12:54 AM
If it weren't for the speed bump from my original Airport, I'd be thinking about asking for a refund right about now.

Im with you on that one.. while not the same problem I have had terrible throughput from day 1..

southbark
Aug 14, 2007, 02:54 AM
I have the same hard drive issues i use a venus DS3R hard drive enclosure on single settings so both hard drives can be used seperatly that holds two 750gb hard drives and the base station will see both drives in the airpot utility but i cannot access them with airport disk utility it just says bad login.If i remove a hard drive from the case it will se one drive and let me access it.Also it is said that apple did not put firewire on the AES

k2k koos
Aug 14, 2007, 06:19 AM
i have an Airport Express, which is said to be supported in this update.
However when I down load this update, it says it can't be installed as I need version 5 of the Airport utility, which did not come with my Airport.
Searching Apple's website , I could not find a version 5 for download though.

Anyone got any suggestions?

:apple:

4np
Aug 14, 2007, 06:31 AM
i have an Airport Express, which is said to be supported in this update.
However when I down load this update, it says it can't be installed as I need version 5 of the Airport utility, which did not come with my Airport.
Searching Apple's website , I could not find a version 5 for download though.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I assume it's only an Airport Utility update; not an Airport Express Firmware change.

System Requirements

* Mac OS X 10.4.8 or later
* AirPort Utility 5.0 or later
* AirPort Extreme Base Station with 802.11n

I hope they'll soon upgrade the Airport Express to 802.11n (I don't need the extreme's routing functionality) or upgrade the Airport Extreme to support Airtunes as well...

It sucks having a 802.11n card in my laptop and not being able to use the 802.11n speeds just because Apple decided to leave Airtunes out of the Extreme and not to upgrade the Express...

Probably they don't want their different devices to compete with Apple TV or something... But that's just stupid as I would never buy Apple TV but I do want Airtunes...

quik
Aug 14, 2007, 06:43 AM
WOW! Safari is much more snappier now!

maestrokev
Aug 14, 2007, 06:56 AM
My Gigabit AEBS arrived today, looks just like the old one. Update didn't seem to affect my internet speeds.

Strange, again the CD does not include the Windows version of AirPort Utility v5. Anyone else have this problem? Guess I'll have to call Apple to see if they can mail me another install CD.

mpcoady
Aug 14, 2007, 08:17 AM
I read some previous replies regarding Airport Express - anyone have success in installing this update for the Airport Express?

product26
Aug 14, 2007, 11:52 AM
I read some previous replies regarding Airport Express - anyone have success in installing this update for the Airport Express?

no luck here, requires "AirPort Utility 5.0" but i cant find it for download

cliffjumper68
Aug 14, 2007, 01:07 PM

Nah...

It has made my network a lot smoother and reduced the weak areas in my coverage. I did not have much signal strength in my livingr oom before but it is fine now. Obviously this was not an issue of radio signal but of network admin. (I think)

4np
Aug 14, 2007, 01:41 PM

Yeah, no worries...

4np
Aug 14, 2007, 01:42 PM

see PM ;)

izzle22
Aug 14, 2007, 03:16 PM
see PM ;)

WHAT???????????????ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?????

adamselzer
Aug 14, 2007, 10:13 PM
Anyone figured out the "airport utility 5.0 required" issue? I've been playing with this all day. According to finder, I'm running 5.1. When I open it, it says 5.2.1 is available, but then, when I push install, it says there's no new software available. Argh!

ETA - okay. got it. Had my airport utility in applications, not applications/utilities.

Reaver
Aug 15, 2007, 05:08 AM

thats what its telling me too and I said forget it I havent had one problem with mine so I am going to wait and see what happens.

phanboyjohn
Aug 15, 2007, 09:48 AM
I hate to re-ask, but does anyone know where I can obtain Airport Utility? I'm hoping it'll solve my connection dropping issues, which are making me pull out my hair.

twoodcc
Aug 15, 2007, 03:58 PM
i installed it. haven't noticed anything different yet though

k2k koos
Aug 16, 2007, 01:35 PM

In the updater it does say the Airport Express is supported, but a higher version (5.0) of the utility is requiered , which nobody seems to be able to find, so perhaps some clarification is needed, is the Express supported, or not?
If it supported as a slave to an Airport Extreme only (meaning you have to have an Extreme, to get the 5.0 utility, and can only then update an Express), or is this one big error on Apple's part??

Nermal
Aug 17, 2007, 05:06 AM
i installed it. haven't noticed anything different yet though

The only difference I've noticed is that it now says "(Fast Ethernet)" next to the base description. Presumably the newer ones say Gigabit.

Reaver
Aug 17, 2007, 09:53 AM
any clearification on this issue would help everytime I need to go into my utiliy I get the upgrade menu and I try to upgrade it but still no 5.0 and its starting to piss me off.

nick8718
Aug 17, 2007, 02:51 PM
Hi, for those of you having problems with the 5.2.1 update - just follow what adamselzer says - you've probably got your airport utility in applications and not in applications > utilities. I've been pulling my hair out all day with this until i read his fix.

i'm feeling very stupid but very thankful for his brains!

thanks

Nick8718