PDA

View Full Version : G5s Shipping?

MacRumors
Aug 4, 2003, 09:35 PM
mrougeux reports that his credit card called him regarding a charge from Apple Computer for his Dual 2.0GHz.

Online store stats don't reflect shipping, but credit cards are typically not charged until products ship.

[Indeed, it's possible that it could have been a preapproval charge placed... but we won't know more until mrougeux can supply some details]

Wonder Boy
Aug 4, 2003, 09:49 PM
Sounds good. So how long till revision B?

applemacdude
Aug 4, 2003, 10:00 PM
If this is true this is great news. Apple shipping G5's A month early? but im skeptical, I just think they just charged it and thats all

cubist
Aug 4, 2003, 10:03 PM
No, if they've charged his card, the computer has gone out.

mrougex, make sure the batteries are charged for your digital camera!

JtheLemur
Aug 4, 2003, 10:12 PM
Well, time to get on my knees and pray (ordered BTO Dual 2GHz right after Keynote, via Apple Educational-Institution).

Where's ma prayin' kneepads?... =)

brig
Aug 4, 2003, 10:14 PM
yeah this is so awesome that g5's are shipping, but my PB sure as hell isnt. I ordered it 7/19/03. Then i got pushed to 7/24. Then 8/04. Now 8/13. This is getting ridiculous...I just hope I get overnight shipping or 2nd day shipping free because im goign to college on the 16th with or without the 12". Anybody had similar experiences (looong delay) and does apple try to accomodate or am I up the creek?

penum6ra
Aug 4, 2003, 10:16 PM
brig:

You better hope (for yours and all the rest of us patiently and impatiently waiting's sake) that the delay is because they are holding out to release and ship you a new rev.

I think I'll have yet another drink to false hope springing eternal!

mvc
Aug 4, 2003, 10:28 PM
If this is true it flys in the face of that other rumor that suggested a possible Dual 1.8 because Dual 2.0's were in short supply. Can't be in short supply if they are shipping this early, unless they are going out as Single 2.0s and they are going to mail yo'all the other processor in a few weeks. :p

tpjunkie
Aug 4, 2003, 10:30 PM
IIRC, the dual 1.8 rumors indicated that the dual 1.8 option was a way to move more 1.8 Ghz processors, because the demand for a single 1.8 processor was so low. The availability of the 2 Ghz processor wasn't really the issue

Chef Ramen
Aug 4, 2003, 10:35 PM
maybe apple knew theyd start shipping now and told everybody they would ship awhile from now

mvc
Aug 4, 2003, 10:36 PM
Nah, they have obviously just decided to put all the 1.8s in Powerbooks with liquid nitrogen cooling systems. Its got to be cheaper than losing anymore credibility and goodwill. :rolleyes:

grahamfw
Aug 4, 2003, 10:38 PM
I REALLY seriously doubt that the computers are shipping yet. I placed my order on August 1 and they shipped my DVI-to-VGA adaptor today. Got a tracking number and everything. And they also charged my (father's) credit card as well.

I wouldn't get your hopes too high. My ship date still says 10/7/03 although when I talked to the Apple rep. today about changing my shipping address, he wanted to know the date that I would be at my .edu institution....strange....

Well, bah, cross your fingers, but don't hold your breath.

Graham W.

bubbagump
Aug 4, 2003, 10:39 PM
I was in the Apple SoHo store on Saturday and an employee stated that they would get their floor models this week and that if I preordered a G5 it would be shipped this week. However, we all know that some of these reps know very little.

Bubba

daveL
Aug 4, 2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
If this is true this is great news. Apple shipping G5's A month early? but im skeptical, I just think they just charged it and thats all
Apple, like most reputable companies, doesn't charge your credit card until the product ships. That's how they did it on both an iPod and a PB that I've bought through the on-line Apple Store.

hacurio1
Aug 4, 2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by brig
yeah this is so awesome that g5's are shipping, but my PB sure as hell isnt. I ordered it 7/19/03. Then i got pushed to 7/24. Then 8/04. Now 8/13. This is getting ridiculous...I just hope I get overnight shipping or 2nd day shipping free because im goign to college on the 16th with or without the 12". Anybody had similar experiences (looong delay) and does apple try to accomodate or am I up the creek?

They are not shiping your PB beause there are non in stock. I wont jump into rumors of new PB, but the only thing I can tell you is that there are no 15" and 12" on stock, Apple has none left.

http://www.macprices.com/g4tracker.shtml

junior
Aug 4, 2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by tpjunkie
IIRC, the dual 1.8 rumors indicated that the dual 1.8 option was a way to move more 1.8 Ghz processors, because the demand for a single 1.8 processor was so low. The availability of the 2 Ghz processor wasn't really the issue

Actually, I think rumors indicated that 2gh duals were in such high demand compared to the single 1.6/1.8, and that apple didn't have enough macs at 2ghz ready. That was the reason for the 1.8 dual suggestion. To spread the top-end powermac sales a little bit.
BTW the newly priced 1.25 G4 over here in Japan is in incredible demand. Sold out everywhere!

Golem
Aug 4, 2003, 11:38 PM
Could be they got a limited number in and your 1 of the lucky few. I know in the past Apple Australia got their very first shipment of 9500/132's in and we got 5 out of 18 just because we were fast on the phone the day they were released.

I would have expected 1.6 or 1.8 models to go out first but surely they would have had some 2Ghz chips when they started production?

yoshi1013
Aug 4, 2003, 11:47 PM
My ship date says 10/8 which actually two days before my birthday which is pretty cool, makes it easier to think of this as a combination graduation/birthday present.

Now would be a good time to find things to look forward to between now and then to stave off insanity.

A Kick in the Head: A webcomic for the disgruntled New Yorker (http://home.nyu.edu/~dwl207/kick/)

brig
Aug 4, 2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by hacurio1
They are not shiping your PB beause there are non in stock. I wont jump into rumors of new PB, but the only thing I can tell you is that there are no 15" and 12" on stock, Apple has none left.

http://www.macprices.com/g4tracker.shtml

so does this mean that I am stuck until they update or what? Anybody shed any light on this, and sorry I "contaminated" this thread with PB junk

sonicsessions
Aug 5, 2003, 12:22 AM
hrmm... no charge as of yet to my "Apple Instant Loan" (and they typically make a small 1-2$ charge before making the official charge... just to test).

However, I noticed something odd on my order (a dual 2ghz): In the detailed order view, it has my g5 listed with a canceled icon under it... then a new order for what appears to be an identical g5 in its place... kind of odd.

hacurio1
Aug 5, 2003, 01:18 AM
so does this mean that I am stuck until they update or what? Anybody shed any light on this, and sorry I "contaminated" this thread with PB junk

That is the million dollar question. To tell you the truth, I donít know. There are three possibilities. Apple is either expecting shipments of Ti PB form the factory and your order will be delayed (as it has been already), or they will release new PB in the next two weeks. The third possibility means that they plan on not selling 15Ē and 12Ē PB until September when they are supposed to refresh the line. The last possibility, to my view, is very unlikely. I donít believe there exists a company stupid enough to forgo portable sales for a month, so the third scenario is unlikely. Many other people are experiencing the same delays you are. The reason, I don't know!!

legion
Aug 5, 2003, 01:38 AM
It's probably just a hold charge that credit card companies use. It doesn't actually charge your credit card but it holds the available credit for when the item is actually shipped (and then the item actually goes to your credit card.) It could be that Apple is rectifying the edu. price change now verses modifying the chargehold at the shipping time (which will overlap the actual charge.) I used to work with NABANCO on this process and it is a crazy order of steps.

I've also had personal dealings with items like this where I've had multiple systems on a credit card that totalled in the $100K level and the credit card company called me concerning it a few days after the systems were ordered. Seemed the original system I had ordered still had a credit hold and when I modified the order, the new credit hold went in as an additional new system and it takes longer to remove a credit hold then place a new one-- so a week later, the credit hold dropped by 1/2.

mxpiazza
Aug 5, 2003, 01:50 AM
see, i placed my order, then at a later time, upped the shipping to priority overnight (i am in the first batch of deliveries, ordered the day of the keynote, i want to be able to say i was one of the first people in the world with a dual g5 powermac :) ) and then they re-ran the credit card amount because the shipping proce changed. Well, the credit card i am using for this i am ONLY using for this, so i put a freeze on the account, and didn't take it off, because i didn't know they were going to re-run the card to check it's credit limit. so then i got an email from apple telling me they were trying to ship my g5, but they couldn't because of something with the credit card... but to my dismay, it couldn't run the credit check due to the updated shipping, so they sent me the email... long story short, i'm sure it was something like that. his credit card number was run to check the avaliable credit amount, but no charges were made. I don't doubt that the 1.6 and 1.8 models will start shipping sometime next week when the apple store gets their floor models in, but i reckon that us dual 2ghz folks will be waiting until 8/29.... yeah, it sucks, but at least we're not in that new fangled 10/07/2003 group!

isgoed
Aug 5, 2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors
mrougeux reports that his credit card called him regarding a charge from Apple Computer for his Dual 2.0GHz.

Since when do Credit Cards know how to operate a phone? :)

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 5, 2003, 06:55 AM
Origially posted by bubbagump
I was in the Apple SoHo store on Saturday and an employee stated that they would get their floor models this week and that if I preordered a G5 it would be shipped this week. However, we all know that some of these reps know very little.

I was talking to my dad yesterday, who had gone to the Apple store on L.I. to check out iSight. One of the employees told him that the SoHo store had already received G5 demo models. I didn't think so, since I hadn't read anything about it, but maybe this means they will be getting them any day now. Don't know how this affects ship date though...

testnull
Aug 5, 2003, 07:51 AM
It means that if any Apple store gets a demo unit before my ADC order, I'm gonna be pissed :D

mrougeux
Aug 5, 2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by mrougeux reports that his credit card called him regarding a charge from Apple Computer for his Dual 2.0GHz.

Online store stats don't reflect shipping, but credit cards are typically not charged until products ship.
acrumors

[Indeed, it's possible that it could have been a preapproval charge placed... but we won't know more until mrougeux can supply some details]

Arn, what I omitted was that last Fri, Aug 1, Apple did the "preapproval" thing on my credit card, and because I had changed account numbers, they had to contact me to get a new number. Further, the amount of my computer purchase is showing up on my online credit card statement. But I am biased on this subject!

FWIW: I ordered this machine the day they were announced.

Fender2112
Aug 5, 2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by mrougeux
Arn, what I omitted was that last Fri, Aug 1, Apple did the "preapproval" thing on my credit card, and because I had changed account numbers, they had to contact me to get a new number. Further, the amount of my computer purchase is showing up on my online credit card statement. But I am biased on this subject!

FWIW: I ordered this machine the day they were announced.

I think I heard the FedEx truck pull up. You better go see if that's your new toy. :)

"If what the oracle says is true, these are good times!" :::howl:::

MacMarino
Aug 5, 2003, 09:51 AM
Ive seen a floor model available at a store in Tokyo. Its at an electronics store called Bic Camera in Ikebukuro. It looks better in real life than in all the pictures... So the models must be really close to being released!

MacMarino:D

Lyle
Aug 5, 2003, 10:11 AM
yeah this is so awesome that g5's are shipping, but my PB sure as hell isnt. I ordered it 7/19/03. Then i got pushed to 7/24. Then 8/04. Now 8/13. This is getting ridiculous...I just hope I get overnight shipping or 2nd day shipping free because im goign to college on the 16th with or without the 12". Anybody had similar experiences (looong delay) and does apple try to accomodate or am I up the creek? I broke down and ordered my 15" PowerBook (the 1GHz version) on July 22nd. It shipped (from Taiwan) on July 28th and arrived at my front door on July 31st.

big
Aug 5, 2003, 10:49 AM
I assume it was not the Aluminum 15"?

Lyle
Aug 5, 2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by big
I assume it was not the Aluminum 15"? Since there is no Aluminum 15" PowerBook, that would be a "no".

big
Aug 5, 2003, 11:13 AM
are they not going to make one? is that th eonly update everyone waiting for a PB re waiting on? Surely they will not release a G5 PB yet...

the 12" & 17" are....

Brother Mugga
Aug 5, 2003, 11:14 AM
Jeeeez, more 'Treasure Island/Rip-off Britain', methinks.

I've ordered a G5 and the money zipped straight out of my credit account, I can tell you.

How come Apple get to sit on all that interest over in Britain but not in the U.S.? Isn't enough that we actually have to pay a fair bit more for the damn things in the first place (ohmigod - I've blasphemed agaainst the G5...may IBM have mercy on my soul...).

Pah.

Brother Mugga

Kenndac
Aug 5, 2003, 11:25 AM
Yup, I'm in the UK and the money was taken out of my account the next day. I've almost finished paying it off, and I don't even have it yet!

It's possible that the UK and USA laws are different - in the USA, they might not be allowed to take the money out when the unit is built and about to ship, while in the UK they can take it out as soon as the order is placed. Only a theory, mind - I'm no lawyer.

Mmmm, Dual 2Ghz here we come! :-)

bobindashadows
Aug 5, 2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Brother Mugga

I've ordered a G5 and the money zipped straight out of my credit account, I can tell you.

How come Apple get to sit on all that interest over in Britain but not in the U.S.? Isn't enough that we actually have to pay a fair bit more for the damn things in the first place (ohmigod - I've blasphemed agaainst the G5...may IBM have mercy on my soul...).

Pah.

Brother Mugga

When did you order your machine? I'm sure the laws are different - it's probably legal in Britain to do that, and it may not be here. Who knows. Maybe Apple doesn't like British Accents. Ooh! That's be a good CARS article: "Apple Press Release: Company Hates British Accents" rofl No offense or anything, seriously, it just sounds like something CARS would do.

jettredmont
Aug 5, 2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by isgoed
Since when do Credit Cards know how to operate a phone? :)

Must be one o' dem "smart cards" ...

jettredmont
Aug 5, 2003, 11:35 AM

Pah.

Brother Mugga

Different countries == different laws.

In the US they can not charge you until the product is shipping (ie, "delievered" or "en route to delivery"). It's not that Apple is just a nice company in this regard; it is standard business practice in the US.

Things are obviously different in the UK. Time to write parlaiment and complain! :)

Lyle
Aug 5, 2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by big
are they not going to make [an Aluminum 15" PowerBook]?Who knows anymore? Everyone seems confident that they'll appear "any day now", but that day seems to push further and further into the future every week.

I personally had been stalling on buying the 15" PowerBook since I guess sometime in May. First there were the rumors that it would appear at the WWDC in June. Apple did announce the new G5 PowerMacs, very nice indeed, but no word about new PowerBooks. Then the next round of rumors pointed to a possible announcement at MWNY in July, but again, no new PowerBooks. The latest best guess is that they will appear at the Paris Expo in mid-September.

About a week after MWNY, I decided to get off the crazy train and go ahead and buy a 15" TiBook. It arrived last Thursday and I love it (my first Macintosh computer). Even when the updated PowerBooks are eventually announced, I will have no regrets (especially if that announcement doesn't come for another few months, as now seems likely).

is that the only update everyone waiting for a PB is waiting on?Well, no, it's not just the new Aluminum case. Presumably, an updated 15" PowerBook would also incorporate some of the other nice features from the 12" and 17" models, such as built-in Airport Extreme wireless capability (versus the slower Airport wireless capability), built-in Bluetooth support, better graphics card, etc. You can sort-of get an idea of what to expect by looking at the feature set of the current 17" PowerBook.

Surely they will not release a G5 PB yet...No, I don't think anyone's realistically expecting a G5-based notebook before sometime next year (if that soon).

Brother Mugga
Aug 5, 2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by jettredmont
Things are obviously different in the UK. Time to write parlaiment and complain! :)

Parliament be damned; I'm writing to the Times! (disgusted Tunbridge Wells, etc. etc.........sorry, joke for Brits only, I'd imagine).

r.e. bobbindashadows' post:

"That's be a good CARS article: "Apple Press Release: Company Hates British Accents" rofl No offense or anything, seriously, it just sounds like something CARS would do."

Yeah; Moltz is out to get me. It's a good job they're all skiving off on 'holiday' at the moment or I'd write a letter about them too...(although admittedly that stuff about Steve Jobs and cows was bloody hilarious).

r.e. Kenndac's post:

Looks like we're just going to have to take it on the chin over here, mate.

You know; that and the cricket...and the footie...and the trains...and (repeat ellipsis to fade). ;)

Cheers

Brother Mugga

mikeh123
Aug 5, 2003, 12:52 PM
I work for an Apple reseller and have ordered my dual 2ghz through the Resellers apple store .

Not heard a thing yet as we usually get notified when items off back order get shipped.

Arcady
Aug 5, 2003, 01:10 PM

We ordered a 12" PowerBook (custom model with 640mb ram and 60gb drive and airport card) on July 25th, and it arrived on August 1st. This order was placed as an educational purchase, using a university purchase order for payment. I don't understand how you could have ordered earlier and not received it yet, unless you ordered it with something we didn't, like a superdrive.

DeusOmnis
Aug 5, 2003, 02:39 PM
Who cares about the G5... I'm going to be getting the G7...... 990's... yum

bobindashadows
Aug 5, 2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by DeusOmnis
Who cares about the G5... I'm going to be getting the G7...... 990's... yum
Although I fear it is a waste of time to escalate this: I've already ordered two quantam computers.

kenaustus
Aug 5, 2003, 03:42 PM
I read that Apple had orders for 65,000 Duals in less than a month. If you put that on an annual basis, that's 780,000 Duals, which is about what they sold over the last 12 months for all computer lines! While 780,000 ain't gonna happen it does point out the problem Apple has in taking care of those orders within a reasonably short time, plus filling orders for the 1.6 and 1.8 . . .

I have a feeling that the good folks at Apple are working their @ss off trying to get through initial deliveries. Making a dual 1.8 available *may* help some, but they still have to get close to 100,000 G5 Macs (all speeds) out the door.

The interesting thing for someone who can't afford a G5 until the new year is that around 100,000 G5's in the first month, with 65 percent duals, results in about 165,000 G5 chips sold by IBM.

Sorta lets Moto know just how bad they blew it!:D

jaedreth
Aug 5, 2003, 03:45 PM
Right on!

Good statistics too. :)

Jaedreth

Brother Mugga
Aug 5, 2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by bobindashadows
Although I fear it is a waste of time to escalate this: I've already ordered two quantam computers.

Careful someone doesn't just pee into a bottle and sell you that.

Seriously, it's caught me out a few times, I can tell you...or would do, were our respective machines so entangled...

Cheers

Brother Mugga:)

daveL
Aug 5, 2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by kenaustus
I read that Apple had orders for 65,000 Duals in less than a month. If you put that on an annual basis, that's 780,000 Duals, which is about what they sold over the last 12 months for all computer lines! While 780,000 ain't gonna happen it does point out the problem Apple has in taking care of those orders within a reasonably short time, plus filling orders for the 1.6 and 1.8 . . .

I have a feeling that the good folks at Apple are working their @ss off trying to get through initial deliveries. Making a dual 1.8 available *may* help some, but they still have to get close to 100,000 G5 Macs (all speeds) out the door.

The interesting thing for someone who can't afford a G5 until the new year is that around 100,000 G5's in the first month, with 65 percent duals, results in about 165,000 G5 chips sold by IBM.

Sorta lets Moto know just how bad they blew it!:D
Sorrry, but Apple sold 771,000 *last quarter* for all lines. See their quarterly results:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/jul/16results.html

Brother Mugga
Aug 5, 2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by daveL
Sorrry, but Apple sold 771,000 *last quarter* for all lines. See their quarterly results:

Not too sure that this doesn't include iPods?

Don't really know, to be honest. Insight, anyone?

Brother Mugga

jaedreth
Aug 5, 2003, 04:09 PM
They listed that figure as quarterly sales for *Macintosh*.

This does *not* include iTMS, iPods, Software, or anything else Apple sells besides *Macintosh*. :)

Apple's not doing that bad. :)

And G5 pre-orders are still nicely abundant. Shows the new archetecture has great demand.

Jaedreth

daveL
Aug 5, 2003, 04:12 PM
Not too sure that this doesn't include iPods?

Don't really know, to be honest. Insight, anyone?

Brother Mugga
Nope. All Macs:

iMac/eMac 256,000
iBook 133,000
PowerMac 156,000
PowerBook 166,000

Total 771,000

For the 3rd quarter. See q303data_sum.pdf on Apple's site.

Brother Mugga
Aug 5, 2003, 04:19 PM
Cheers, lads (or possibly ladettes?).

Hmmmmm. That's a lot of computers.

Maybe my 6 switchers aren't quite so impressive after all...:rolleyes:

Brother Mugga

junior
Aug 5, 2003, 08:55 PM

I think the other guy was talking about powermac sales. He was trying to say how crap moto was (in terms of luring in more customers) for the power users.

daveL
Aug 5, 2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by junior
I think the other guy was talking about powermac sales. He was trying to say how crap moto was (in terms of luring in more customers) for the power users.
He said "for all computer lines".

jaedreth
Aug 5, 2003, 09:33 PM
If he had changed the word "Year" to "Quarter", his statement would have been correct.

However, his calculation then would have been irrelevant.

Since he was comparing less than a month's pre-orders, times 12, and then comparing it to a figure that then relates to quarterly sales of all products. Now, in my opinion, that is still significant and telling. But not *that* telling.

Now if he had gathered figures for a year's worth of Tower sales alone, and compared that to 12 times the pre-order number, that would be interesting, but such statistics are hard to come by.

Jaedreth

job
Aug 5, 2003, 10:08 PM
I think this comment from someone on ars makes a good point:

Guarantee: they will hit the fiscal quarter (ending Spet 30), and in as much damn volume as they can get out the door. They would not have shown them at WWDC otherwise. They might have demo'ed the tech in a generic case or pile of components, and talked about optimization for panther and 64-bit and all, but by SHOWING them in the new enclosures and unveiling them and taking pre-orders on the site - they WILL hit the quarter.

daveL
Aug 6, 2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by jaedreth
If he had changed the word "Year" to "Quarter", his statement would have been correct.

However, his calculation then would have been irrelevant.

Since he was comparing less than a month's pre-orders, times 12, and then comparing it to a figure that then relates to quarterly sales of all products. Now, in my opinion, that is still significant and telling. But not *that* telling.

Now if he had gathered figures for a year's worth of Tower sales alone, and compared that to 12 times the pre-order number, that would be interesting, but such statistics are hard to come by.

Jaedreth
Hard to come by? It's right above your head^^^^ Do the math: 156k x 4 = 624k. Great, but that's not what was said.

Chaszmyr
Aug 6, 2003, 02:15 AM
Hmmmmm. That's a lot of computers.

Maybe my 6 switchers aren't quite so impressive after all...:rolleyes:

Brother Mugga

Hey, as long as everyone does their part.

mkwilson68
Aug 6, 2003, 07:19 AM
Given that Apple just seeded a BETA of 10.2.7, which is the shipping OS for the G5's, I can't see how they can be shipping machines that rely on it, especially given manufacturing lead times, etc.

mikeh123
Aug 6, 2003, 09:02 AM
Well the current seed if you read the details seem to be G4 specific hence the seed for the "general" release.

It could well be the G5 release has been completed. Not sure I'm not inside at apple. I still think they won't ship for some weeks yet to be honest.
Have pre ordered work for a reseller not heard a thing from Apple yet. Still looking at the our backorders see when mine disapears from it :)

Gorbag
Aug 6, 2003, 09:21 AM

Pah.

Brother Mugga

Certainly several companies I have dealt with here (in the UK) only take the money when they actually deliver, but it doesn't seem to be an actual legal requirement, so it would seem that this is down to company policy. So that doesn't say much for Apple UK, then, does it?

PS Is it as hot as the devil's jockey shorts there in Gravesend? Certainly is in West London!
The one and only time I went to Gravesend, it certainly lived up (down?) to it's name! Mind you that was 20 years ago now.

ffakr
Aug 6, 2003, 10:05 AM

I ordered a dual 1.25 with a 22" LCD right before the end of 2002 (for someone I support)

Apple did the same thing.. they kept pushing back the delivery date.
It turns out that they pushed the delivery date back because the 22" was already out of production. We didn't get one... they shipped out the 23" inch model for less when the display line up changed in the very beginning of 2003.

Maybe the channel is drying up and you'll get a new rev.

henryblackman
Aug 6, 2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by jettredmont
Different countries == different laws.

In the US they can not charge you until the product is shipping (ie, "delievered" or "en route to delivery"). It's not that Apple is just a nice company in this regard; it is standard business practice in the US.

This is the case in the UK (and Europe) as well. Trading Standards investigate this all the time, they also aren't allowed to make any money (ie. interest) from any pre-charge - it's not their money to profit from until they have shipped the item.

Apple (Education) has never charged me (in the UK) for anything that it hasn't already shipped, so I'd check with them.

henryblackman
Aug 6, 2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by mkwilson68
Given that Apple just seeded a BETA of 10.2.7, which is the shipping OS for the G5's, I can't see how they can be shipping machines that rely on it, especially given manufacturing lead times, etc.

A seed isn't the same as a "beta". A seed may well be declared gold master and be the very version that is installed.

I suspect that the seed is for last minute checking. Apple has, in the past, seeded something that 2 days later is released to the public. I can imagine that this is the case here too.

daveL
Aug 6, 2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by henryblackman
A seed isn't the same as a "beta". A seed may well be declared gold master and be the very version that is installed.

I suspect that the seed is for last minute checking. Apple has, in the past, seeded something that 2 days later is released to the public. I can imagine that this is the case here too.
Yes, I agree. Seems that a lot of folks don't read the thread, they just post. As I said last night, the seed notes were directed at non-G5 machines. It didn't even mention G5. It only mentions updates to various i/o components.

Brother Mugga
Aug 6, 2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Gorbag
Certainly several companies I have dealt with here (in the UK) only take the money when they actually deliver, but it doesn't seem to be an actual legal requirement, so it would seem that this is down to company policy. So that doesn't say much for Apple UK, then, does it?

PS Is it as hot as the devil's jockey shorts there in Gravesend? Certainly is in West London!
The one and only time I went to Gravesend, it certainly lived up (down?) to it's name! Mind you that was 20 years ago now.

Oh yes indeed; check it out on the BBC - we're officially the hottest place in Britain.

I put it down to the huge pall of greenhouse-like smog hanging over our fair town, but there you go.

For any Americans out there, you might like to know that Gravesend's claim to fame is that Pocahontus is buried here.

So bad, she keeled over upon sighting it.

Yup, I'm pretty proud of my hometown.

Brother Mugga

PS: Literary buffs might also like to know that Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness' (cineastes = 'Apocalypse Now' inspiration) is 'narrated' on a boat just off Gravesend.

So - killing Indian Princesses and psychologically disturbing novels...that's what we do best. :)

jbomber
Aug 6, 2003, 05:41 PM

For any Americans out there, you might like to know that Gravesend's claim to fame is that Pocahontus is buried here.

Brother Mugga

PS: Literary buffs might also like to know that Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness' (cineastes = 'Apocalypse Now' inspiration) is 'narrated' on a boat just off Gravesend.

So - killing Indian Princesses and psychologically disturbing novels...that's what we do best. :)

(in best johnny carson voice): that is some weird wild stuff

Brother Mugga
Aug 6, 2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by jbomber
(in best johnny carson voice): that is some weird wild stuff

jbomber!

Hi!

Brother Mugga

PS: Right, I'm now going to attempt to sleep without melting into the sheets...what's it like in NY?

jbomber
Aug 6, 2003, 06:43 PM
jbomber!

Hi!

Brother Mugga

PS: Right, I'm now going to attempt to sleep without melting into the sheets...what's it like in NY?

Hey Brother,

It's been weird the last couple days. Wake up and it's blazing hot sun, not a cloud in the sky. Then suddenly it's Armageddon- thunder, lightning, fire, brimstone, sheets and sheets of rain. Very confusing. Here in Chelsea, it's got all the tiny little dogs in a tizzy. :)

jettredmont
Aug 6, 2003, 07:08 PM
Nope. All Macs:

iMac/eMac 256,000
iBook 133,000
PowerMac 156,000
PowerBook 166,000

Total 771,000

For the 3rd quarter. See q303data_sum.pdf on Apple's site.

So, amongst the PowerMac line, we have (reportedly) 65,000 dual-proc 2.0GHz G5's in a month, which would yield a quarterly result of 195,000 ... which is resoundingly better than the entire PowerMac lineup (156k units) in the past quarter (although, this is comparing different quarters too, so ...) Add the 1.6 and 1.8 figures, and this could be a very nice quarter for the PowerMac line.

Of course, not nearly as nice a quarter as the last several years have been filled with bad quarters, but at least an improvement from recent history.

gheintz
Aug 7, 2003, 01:18 AM
I finally ordered at Walnut Creek, CA today: the G5 with Dual 2 GHz processors. I would NOT take dual 1.8 at lower price! I want screamin' speed!!! No G5's today in Apple Store Walnut Creek.

I debated ordering right now and previously had ordered and then cancelled my order because I worry about defects or instability in this early a release. I WAS planning to wait until Feb-March when I think price will drop, bugs be worked out, and perhaps speed bumped up. How do you all feel about ordering immediately upon release?

By the way....I DID talk to a MAC employee who told me that G5 machines are being used within Apple co. right now by employees and all users have reported them to be great with no problems. That actually caused me to go ahead and order right away since I can't STAND to wait until early next year. But...any opinions out there about quality of a machine on first relase?
Heavy PhotoShop User

applewhore
Aug 7, 2003, 02:20 AM
Hello,

I just wanted to let you guys know that I posted an order the day the g5 was announced with an estimated ETA of 8/29. However, Apple did not charge my credit card because they had not received authorization from my bank due to the current spending limit ( I purposely left my balance low so that Apple would contact me upon shipping with this failure). I was told a month ago that Apple would contact me again when my order was ready to ship so they could get me to contact my bank and upgrade the spending limit. Well they contacted me today saying that my computer is about to be built and that in 7 to 10 working days, I should receive a request for credit card authorization, upon which, the balance will be deducted from my bank. I remain skeptical but this was highly unusual as I received a phone call from an apple representative on a personal managerial update. Any of you have a similar situation?

two_tail
Aug 7, 2003, 08:56 AM
I think I can verify that the charge is simply a preapproval charge. I recently checked on the last few transactions to my credit card, and I discovered that there were two charges from Apple in the amount of $59.99 each. The two G5 orders I have in are for two completely different configurations, so I would guess that these $60 charges are just to make sure that the credit card information is still correct (cards can easily expire or change over two months).

As an aside, I placed my two orders the day after the keynote. Later!

fspera
Aug 7, 2003, 10:05 AM
My credit card had an authorization request for the full amount of my dual G5 order on July 31. I ordered it two days after WWDC. Perhaps they are getting ready to ship.

Gorbag
Aug 7, 2003, 10:19 AM
Oh yes indeed; check it out on the BBC - we're officially the hottest place in Britain.

I put it down to the huge pall of greenhouse-like smog hanging over our fair town, but there you go.

Brother Mugga

Literary buffs might also note that Conrad, considered a major english novelist was actually born in the Ukraine , in what is now part of Poland. Didn't speak english 'til he was about 15, I believe.

Sorry to waffle on, OT.

G5's ROCK!

(Had to make SOME reference to the thread in question!)

NM!

mikeh123
Aug 8, 2003, 06:47 AM
OK with all these rumours I have contacted Apple through our dealer channel with regard to our backorders.

I have a build to order (CTO) upgraded my graphics card etc.
I ordered on 17th July. I was told ALL CTO's would not be shipped until last week of Septmeber probably first week in October.
On a positive note she said all standard configurations will be shipped first then they'll ship the CTO's.

I still find this a little harder to understand but there you go. Many of us will be waiting until October even if you ordered in July

grouse
Aug 8, 2003, 09:46 AM
Brother mugga and others in the UK...

<<Certainly several companies I have dealt with here (in the UK) only take the money when they actually deliver, but it doesn't seem to be an actual legal requirement, so it would seem that this is down to company policy. So that doesn't say much for Apple UK, then, does it?>>

As a condition of a comsumer credit licence in the UK, companies are broaching UK law if they take money for an unsupplied product (more difficult to prove with services).Also you should be protected by your credit card company, depending who it's with, and they can make Apple refund the money, if you are not in receipt of said goods. A certain large retailer of Macs in the UK was pulled up on this, they were holding products for a couple of days and making a tidy sum on the interest and cash flow.

It is not legal to do this. I would contact Apple UK and question them heavily on this one. And your credit card company for further help and advice.

lem0nayde
Aug 8, 2003, 12:19 PM
I ordered my Dual G5 earlier this week and Apple has put a hold on the cash in my account for the full amount of the machine. Hopefully this means I don't have to wait until the quoted Ocotber 10th date - which I think it ridiculous.

mactarheel
Aug 8, 2003, 06:58 PM
I ordered my G5 last Friday night (August 1). Estimated shipping date on or before 10.14.03. The money was withdrawn from my checking account 2 days ago by Apple. It's not on hold...it's withdrawn. Any thoughts? I sure hope I don't have to wait that long!

Update: Just opened my mail today. One letter from Apple Computer thanking me for my recent order. Told me how much would be withdrawn from my checking account on 8.5.03. The letter is dated 8.6.03 and was mailed from Austin, Tx.

lem0nayde
Aug 8, 2003, 10:30 PM
Interesting, now I talked to my bank and they verified that my money was on hold. I also called Apple to ask what was up - and they said it was standard practice for them to hold the money. I asked - "so my money will be held until the product ships?" and I was told yes.

I guess maybe with bigger purchases they want to make sure you aren't wasting their time - ordering without the cash to back it up.

Kind of annoying though...now my bank balance will always be 3500 more than my available balance until I get this thing.

mactarheel
Aug 8, 2003, 10:44 PM
When I ordered they had told me that Apple would put the funds on hold. That's what I expected. But it's definitely withdrawn and states by Apple Computer. It's fine with me either way...all I want is the G5! I just hope they ship sooner than estimated.

lem0nayde
Aug 8, 2003, 11:07 PM
Seriously. I'm like "take my money, PLEASE" just give me my G5 next week.

:)

mactarheel
Aug 9, 2003, 01:11 PM
http://www.forbes.com/2003/08/09/cx_ss_0809peopletowatch.html?partner=yahoo&referrer=

At Forbes.com for a look at the week ahead: August 11-15 regarding the G5...the last line:

"An Apple spokeswoman says the company remains on target to ship all orders for G5 machines this month."

Could it be possible?

lem0nayde
Aug 9, 2003, 11:34 PM
That's exciting...with our taken money and the affirmation from Apple in the Forbes article - we might just be seeing these babies sooner than we think.

mrougeux
Aug 10, 2003, 09:59 AM
As the guy who started this thread, let me give you all an update: I called Apple on Friday (8/8/03) to ask why they had posted a charge to my credit card on Monday 8/4, but had not yet notified me of a ship date. [They had actually tried to charge my card on Friday 8/1, but my credit card number had changed, and so Apple contacted me to get another one. The fraud unit of my credit card company called Monday to verify the charge. That was my tipoff.]

The Apple rep said it was a "preapproval". [Which is a common thing for retailers to do. My credit card co. says the amount may not even be exactly the amount that is finally charged.]

In any event, the rep says that it hasn't shipped because the G5 is not ready, that it has been "significantly delayed." When I asked what that meant, he said, toward the end of the month (August). I asked: "you mean it could be end of August or early September?" to which he replied they hoped it would not be September.

My sense was that they were anticipating shipping about now, hence the temporary authorization on the credit card, but something caused the shipments to be delayed -- be it 10.2.7 or diversion to corporate/gov't users or missing hardware [I ordered the 9800 video card/airport extreme card/bluetooth]. Who knows. My unit was ordered 6/23/03 and is a dualie.

lem0nayde
Aug 12, 2003, 05:56 PM
Apple has placed the money it "held" for verification back into my account. So despite what Apple reps have said - they
do not hold that credit until an item ships (or at least not when the item is shipping a long time after). It is a temporary authorization, to help them decide whether the order is legit or not (I assume).

Too bad - I was hoping the held money meant a quicker ship date. Looks like it'll be a G5 Halloween this year - maybe I will trick or treat as a 1Ghz Front Side Bus.

Joe

mactarheel
Aug 12, 2003, 06:22 PM
Apple still has my money out of my checking account...for a week now. No signs of it returning to the account so far. I'll let you know if it does.

Hopefully we'll get them before Halloween. I'm hoping there is some truth in the forbes.com weekend update this past weekend. The last of the month would be great!

Karen

Morpheus
Aug 14, 2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by lem0nayde
Apple has placed the money it "held" for verification back into my account. So despite what Apple reps have said - they
do not hold that credit until an item ships (or at least not when the item is shipping a long time after). It is a temporary authorization, to help them decide whether the order is legit or not (I assume).

Too bad - I was hoping the held money meant a quicker ship date. Looks like it'll be a G5 Halloween this year - maybe I will trick or treat as a 1Ghz Front Side Bus.

Joe

I'm trick or treating as Massive Branch Predicting Logic

fordi
Aug 14, 2003, 04:35 AM
Hi Guys,

I ordered my G5 about two weeks ago from a official apple distributor in sheffield. I was told i was one of the lucky few in the first batch and that i should get my G5 towards the end of august. After speaking to them again on Monday they told me early Sept.

Watch this space ! ! !

mikeh123
Aug 14, 2003, 06:08 PM
Fordi I hope you do.

I work for an Official Apple Dstributor and to be frank nobody is giving any definite dates and the distributor doesn't actually know.

I have spoken directly with Apple and they are very hazy. They are trying for an end of August early september and i think you will see G'5 by september. I ordered mine about 5 weeks ago and we have had all sorts of dates banded about including October which is certainly wrong, they will be for new orders.

We are all waiting. We have many on backorder with Apple and as soon as they are about to ship we will know immediately.

Frohickey
Aug 14, 2003, 09:37 PM
Think of BTO options as your standard run of the mill BMW 320, with the standard options like leather, power windows, etc.

Think of CTO options as your upgraded BMW M3, which needs to go to another place to be built.

adamfilip
Aug 15, 2003, 07:01 AM
PLACE your Bets..!
My 1.6 G5 is ordered

i dont expect it till the end of next month

but i want to read some real Reviews of production G5's

why havent magazines and online review sites recieved units and posted reviews.

adamfilip
Aug 15, 2003, 07:03 AM
I bet they are waiting for Panther to go GOlD before they ship!

henryblackman
Aug 15, 2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by adamfilip

why havent magazines and online review sites recieved units and posted reviews.

Because the lead times are 3 to 4 months on these kind of things; don't expect to see full reviews until December or January issues of magazines, although you may see some quick reviews a little earlier.

henryblackman
Aug 15, 2003, 07:20 AM
I bet they are waiting for Panther to go GOlD before they ship!

Bet they aren't. Panther is a long way off GOLD, at least what is being shown to developers is!

adamfilip
Aug 15, 2003, 08:34 AM
i dont believe thats true the Isight was introduced the same day as the g5 (i know they were shipping same day basicly and the g5.. well end of this month)

but still apple must have a handfull of units available that it can lend to a few large magazines to help get the word out..

fordi
Aug 15, 2003, 10:37 AM
cheers mikeh123....

As always if i find anything out i will post...

two_tail
Aug 17, 2003, 01:36 AM
Well, I've had more Apple-related credit card activity. I'll post my Apple-related history and see what happens!

I placed a total of three Apple orders on 24 June, the day after the keynote, around 18:30 PDT. The first order was a PowerBook order, and all parts of that have shipped and billed, so it's not really of interest.

The second order was for a 1.8GHz G5, standard (non-CTO) configuration. It was placed through the Education store. With AppleCare (APP) and estimated tax it comes to $2582.16.

The third order was for a Dual-2GHz G5, Configure-To-Order (CTO). It was placed through the Developer store, and was approved the next day. With iPod, mouse, 2 packs of DVDs, APP and estimated tax it came to $3772.49.

The APP from both orders, along with the iPod, mouse and DVDs all shipped quickly, before the end of June. There were also billings for them, though I never tried to match up those numbers.

Now that I have the background, consider this. On 4 August two authorizations are made to my card. For those who do not know, an authorization is like a pseudo-charge. Someone is thinking of making of charge of $something, and wants to make sure that the funds will be available. It's normally used by places like Amazon.com, where they authorize immediately but don't charge until the order ships. Of course, if the authorization is not converted to a charge within a certain amount of time it is cancelled.

Anyway, on 4 August two authorizations were made, for $59.99 each. I assume that they were simply checking my card to make sure it is still usable, one authorization per order. One $59.99 authorization was converted into a charge, and the other left to expire. For now, I am assuming that the $59.99 charged was for the 1.8 G5.

The next activity was a charge (with no prior authorization) on 7 August for $2365.77. This looks like a charge for the 1.8 G5, making a total of $2425.76. Subtract the $2199 1.8 computer and you're left with $226.76. This is not enough to cover APP and tax, or even APP by itself, but is too much for tax. If the charges are for the computer and its tax, then it is off by $72.83 (7% county sales tax). I have heard that Apple intentionally overcharges a little, and adjusts the amounts (through modified charges or refunds) once the order is completely shipped, so I am assuming that this is happening here.

The third item is an authorization made on Friday (15 August) for $3054.48. The cost of the second G5 is $2839, and comes to $3037.33 with 7% tax, so this looks like a pretty close match.

Now this is kind of interesting when you look at the history. As I said, I am assuming that the two $60 charges were to simply check my cards status, but then why did they not simply place all of the charges as soon as the card status was verified? I was thinking that Apple has begun to realize that multiple charges/authorizations in a short period of time can easily cause cards to lock up, so they would spread things out over time, but then I wonder why only one $60 charge was allowed to live, rather than having both authorizations charged, or leaving both to die.

I am also thinking that the first order was charged because it was not a CTO order, so it was a simple matter of charging it was it went into...well, whatever stage it's in now (pre-shipping?). I would guess that it's waiting for 10.2.whatever.

Now the second order seems to be partially charged. I would guess that it's in authorization, rather than charge, because it's either ready to start configuration, or is waiting on shipping (and installation of 10.2.whatever).

Anyway, this is certainly interesting information. Hopefully they will be shipping soon. Any other experiences similar to this? Feel free to see what your credit cards automated service line reports!

henryblackman
Aug 17, 2003, 05:29 AM
i dont believe thats true the Isight was introduced the same day as the g5 (i know they were shipping same day basicly and the g5.. well end of this month)

Yes, but magazines are written from back to front. The iSight has appeared on the cover, with some comment in the front pages, but not what I would call full reviews. Besides the iSight quick reviews wouldn't exactly take long... plug in, download iChat, click on green video icon.

The G5 however is a completely new computer, and benchmarking, reviewing, testing etc. will take a while if it is to be done professionally.

What we have seen on the web is suggestion that Apple are making the machines available to high profile journalists (Walt Mossberg etc) who have a very short time with them.

At the end of the day though, we know it will be a great machine.

Proton
Aug 31, 2003, 08:31 PM
G5 Arrive in Iceland

European Premiere of the Apple G5.
And let me tell you this "the G5 POWER machine looks better than any computer you have seen before. You just have to get one to belive it!

Cheak out this webpage to view the

http://homepage.mac.com/leiftur/PhotoAlbum49.html

video
http://homepage.mac.com/leiftur/iMovieTheater50.html

http://homepage.mac.com/leiftur/iMovieTheater51.html

fordi
Sep 16, 2003, 08:02 AM
Just spoken to the apple dealer who has said i will definately get my G5 dual end of sept. which year is anybodys guess.. he he he !

JUST-WANT-MY-DU
Sep 16, 2003, 09:31 PM
i recieved my dual g5 today, and its is crazy crazzzzzzzyy fast. i will have pic's tomm.

mrougeux
Sep 16, 2003, 09:37 PM
To Just-Want-My-DU:
Tell us your configuration. Was it stock? Or what options did you order? Did you have 160 or 250GB drives? (I was told last Friday the 250 drives were holding up my order). Anything else you can tell us about your machine would be helpful. Were you an education customer? When did you order? Was it shipped overnight? For free? Thanks, and have fun!

fordi
Sep 17, 2003, 05:37 AM
My G5 is a standard 2gb due end of sept.