PDA

View Full Version : Facebook on iPhone Here

MacRumors
Aug 15, 2007, 12:43 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

That was quick (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/14/facebook-on-iphone-coming-soon/), Facebook on iPhone is now available at

http://iphone.facebook.com

Facebook users can now browse Facebook in an iPhone formatted site.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/15/facebook-on-iphone-here/)

mduser63
Aug 15, 2007, 12:50 AM
Seems to work very well. I'll be using it often I think. I hope it does well on EDGE (using it on WiFi right now).

scotty588
Aug 15, 2007, 12:51 AM
Very impressive. Looks great!

cowm007
Aug 15, 2007, 12:52 AM
Lol, I got a "Cookies are not enabled in your browser. Please fix this" style error the first time I tried to log on. Looks good though.

The end of productivity is finally here.

dadsp33k
Aug 15, 2007, 12:56 AM
wow...it looks nice.

brianbobcat
Aug 15, 2007, 12:58 AM
This is very slick, and a lot better than loading standard facebook on your phone, especially since buttons like Home were midget sized in the iPhone. I only wish it could at least remember my username.

-Brian

willowpez
Aug 15, 2007, 01:25 AM
This is very impressive. As a college student, checking my facebook is almost (though not quite) as frequent as checking my e-mail. This will help greatly... especially when on EDGE.

loudestnoise
Aug 15, 2007, 01:28 AM
I was so excited I picked up iPhone so fast I almost dropped it. Thanks Facebook, I'm completely addicted.

katie ta achoo
Aug 15, 2007, 01:32 AM
This... this I like. Rock out, facebook! I can finally update my status on the iphone! :p

I love how they take out all the superfluous apps. Yes, I love my LOLCat generator when I'm on my PowerBook, but it's annoying on edge.

Excellent.

esco
Aug 15, 2007, 01:35 AM
I really like how they handled the friends tab and "touch here to write on the wall"

FrankieTDouglas
Aug 15, 2007, 01:55 AM
I might use that site instead of the "standard" facebook site, even while on my powerbook. All of the annoying apps are removed on the iphone version... that alone is a breath of fresh air!

MacAddict
Aug 15, 2007, 02:43 AM
Very nice indeed.

Notice how when you go to search, you can scroll through the list just like your contacts, even including the letter shortcuts. Click once on any name and you can go to their profile, send them a message, or, if they have their phone number on their profile, call them instantly.

I think thats great. You can use your facebook friends list like a 2nd address book on your iPhone. Well done FB.

bobznc
Aug 15, 2007, 04:24 AM
I might use that site instead of the "standard" facebook site, even while on my powerbook. All of the annoying apps are removed on the iphone version... that alone is a breath of fresh air!

I think I'll be doing the same.

illitrate23
Aug 15, 2007, 04:30 AM
As a college student, checking my facebook is almost (though not quite) as frequent as checking my e-mail.
LOL - as someone in full time employment in an office, checking my facebook is almost as frequent (if not more so) than doing any work :-)

VespR
Aug 15, 2007, 04:53 AM
When are they bringing this to good ol' Blighty? :(

JMax1
Aug 15, 2007, 06:08 AM
Any chance of being able to upload/take a picture to it in the near future?

psychofreak
Aug 15, 2007, 06:10 AM
So much for having the "real internet, not the mobile internet"...thankfully the iPhone is so popular that there are websites made to suit it...

Manj27
Aug 15, 2007, 07:55 AM
Wow - just checked out the site and it looks great - first "app" I've used on the phone that feels and looks like the iphone native aplpication. The software developer did a great job on this. Hope others will follow suit.

Rojo
Aug 15, 2007, 08:02 AM
I love how they take out all the superfluous apps.

That's good for the most part, though I admit there will be some apps I miss when I eventually get an iPhone and use this.

What's even more interesting is there seems to be no ads. If more and more people get iPhones, but use ad-less versions of sites like this, it's not going to make advertisers very happy. I guess we should enjoy it while we can!

slidingjon
Aug 15, 2007, 08:24 AM
Joe Hewitt, you rock!

I like the iphone better than the full version!

jwa276
Aug 15, 2007, 08:27 AM
Yeah, they did a great job with this web app for the iPhone. It might be the best one yet. It definitely still feels branded to facebook, but the functionality and readability is spot on for the iPhone screen.

I'm not a huge facebook user, but this has got to be the best web app that I've seen so far! The slide animation from tab to tab is so smooth, too!

Goldcard
Aug 15, 2007, 08:39 AM
I guess I'm missing the whole point of this but isn't the reason the iphone browser was designed the way it was, was to give users the ability to view webpages as if they were looking at them on the computer? I guess this just seems ridiculus to me. Facebook why don't you make a phone specific version for phones that actually need it, like Palm or Blackberry. That's probably too hard for Mark to handle.

All in all, I'm really excited!

buffalo
Aug 15, 2007, 08:51 AM
... I only wish it could at least remember my username.

-Brian

Your email address is your username.

...Facebook why don't you make a phone specific version for phones that actually need it, like Palm or Blackberry. That's probably too hard for Mark to handle.

They do have a mobile (http://hs.facebook.com/wap.php) version of Facebook. m.facebook.com

A Pittarelli
Aug 15, 2007, 08:58 AM
its like it was only yesterday....

JPyre
Aug 15, 2007, 09:34 AM
Magnifying glass DIDN'T work for me while writing on the wall, so you can't correct mistakes, and if you "done" out of it it goes to the begining of the text.... besides that its great.

brianbobcat
Aug 15, 2007, 09:36 AM
Hey fellow facebookers, join this group if you really like the iPhone facebook. I know I sure do and DEFINITELY will use it, possibly to even replace the standard facebook just cause I hate those darned apps. http://colum.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4140154706

Great job again facebook,
-Brian

mozmac
Aug 15, 2007, 09:41 AM
Great iPhone interface, yet I sadly don't have an iPhone yet.

I too have a foul taste in my mouth for the facebook apps. It was a great idea to open up the framework and has taken facebook to new heights of popularity. However, one of the reasons I stopped using MySpace is because it looked so dang ugly! and these apps are starting to do the same. I think it's just a fad people are going through and pretty soon we will see a handful of really solid apps used by many and the completely ugly and annoying, ninja vs pirate, ones will fall by the wayside.

northwesternmac
Aug 15, 2007, 10:33 AM
Thank you! This is a great app, works really smoothly!!! A couple of small problems, but I'm not complaining!!

Goldcard
Aug 15, 2007, 10:41 AM
Your email address is your username.

They do have a mobile (http://hs.facebook.com/wap.php) version of Facebook. m.facebook.com

yea i know, but its still ugly! thats why the iphone is so amazing it actually looks like the internet is supposed to look like! Although, I must admit, browsing the internet on my blackberry is pretty easy and not at all bad, its just nothing compared to the experience of viewing the internet like you do on the iphone.

Ja Di ksw
Aug 15, 2007, 11:12 AM
I like it, except I can't access my groups or see all of my friends :(. Otherwise it's great, though!

thisonechance
Aug 15, 2007, 11:13 AM
I think they did a very nice job with this.

Now only if I could join my work's facebook group. (stupid company not giving me an email).

savar
Aug 15, 2007, 11:23 AM

doesn't do anything in IE6 for windows....sigh. guess i'll check it out when i get home.

ncsmith4
Aug 15, 2007, 12:00 PM
I like the iphone facebook WAAAAY better than the original too!!!

I used to HATE the clutter of facebook. This.Is.Amazing!

craigverse
Aug 15, 2007, 12:08 PM
I'm really impressed. This is the first iPhone internet app mabob that I've REALLY been impressed with.

Annndy!
Aug 15, 2007, 12:12 PM
This...is...AWESOME. :D

xparaparafreakx
Aug 15, 2007, 01:04 PM
I think i am going to use this on my mac also since the annoy apps are gone when using the iPhone version of facebook. :D

QCassidy352
Aug 15, 2007, 01:19 PM
I've never had a problem using the full version of facebook on my iphone, but I'll give this a shot.

PlaceofDis
Aug 15, 2007, 01:21 PM
nice. i wonder if we'll find other sites doing things like this?

CMTobin
Aug 15, 2007, 01:43 PM
I really REALLY am happy to have this app. I look everyday to see if there are new apps...and none of them ever strike me as something that I'd want to use. This... I will be using ALL the time! I've tried the normal facebook site on my iPhone, and it was alright, but WOW, this is truly amazing!

Thanks so much!

mainstreetmark
Aug 15, 2007, 03:29 PM
it appears that every new page sweeps to to right. It'd be nice if the direction of the sweep respected the physical layout of the tabs.

bondsbw
Aug 15, 2007, 09:57 PM
Actually, on my iPhone, it doesn't sweep... just in Safari and Firefox (on OS X). And the "search" is neat but the A-Z on the side doesn't follow the scroll, it just sits on top of the first letters. Anyone else see this?

(I think it's a fantastic app, BTW...)