PDA

View Full Version : TechTV pits iTMS vs buymusic

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 5, 2003, 09:34 AM
http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/products/story/0,23008,3491640,00.html

saw it on macminute...gonna read the article now.

Abstract
Aug 5, 2003, 10:00 AM
Conclusion: iTMS kicks ass. :cool:

I don't like the fact that they said WMA files and AAC files are of similar quality. I haven't used iTMS yet and havent listened to AAC files closely, but I would think they are better than .wma files. I hate .wma.

MacBytes
Aug 5, 2003, 10:02 AM
Category: Reviews
Link: BuyMusic.com vs. iTunes Music Store (http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/products/story/0,23008,3491640,00.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

tpjunkie
Aug 5, 2003, 10:03 AM
Well, they do give most of the advantages to iTMS, but its a little irksome that they keep mentioning that buymusic has 300,000 tracks. I believe that the actual number is closer to 200,000. Of course that was from boycottbuymusic.com, but that article has now been picked up by some other sites. The one thing I'm really hoping for is that the windows version of iTMS isn't crippled with DRM like all the other services out there.

EDIT: Did anyone else notice that their slogan at the end of their commercial "Music for downloads for the rest of us" is very similiar to the slogan apple used for the original iMac, "A computer for the rest of us?"

Clearly stolen off of Frank Costanza, "Festivus for the rest of us!" :p

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 5, 2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by tpjunkie
Well, they do give most of the advantages to iTMS, but its a little irksome that they keep mentioning that buymusic has 300,000 tracks. I believe that the actual number is closer to 200,000.

Plus the 200K number for iTMS was what they had on Day 1. Since then they've been adding a lot more...I wonder where they stand now.

bosskxx1
Aug 5, 2003, 10:21 AM
One thing that has already been proven is that buymusic lied about how much songs it really has. Someone actually added all of the songs together and got something a little over 200,000 songs.

So all categories basically go to iTunes

nagromme
Aug 5, 2003, 11:41 AM
Some bizarre things there. BuyMusic has FEWER licensing issues than iTunes? They are unable to recommend iTunes over BuyMusic?

Still sounds like they get the basic point, though.

Rasmuskl
Aug 5, 2003, 11:55 AM
Not very happy with that review.
It seemed like they knew that no one would buy that Buymusic.com was a decent service, so they raised some of the bad issues and put a nice spin on them.

Quote from the article:

Unlike iTunes Music Store, which you must access through your iTunes software, you access BuyMusic from any computer running Internet Explorer.

Any Computer or a machine running Windows.

And then this unmitigated subscription that because BM says they have 300,000 tracks that they do. This has been proven wrong several times. When is some "journalist" actually going to raise this point (not just us mac fans, who can actually research).

And then he makes BM win on pricing, saying that the 70c per track is "awesome" yet admitting it is only on old and not so popular tracks (bring up Tommy Lee - atleast BM also know that they need to discount his music to sell it).

And then his final comparison that BM has decent DRM's. What world is he living in. A world where the music he downloads is paid by the show, he is not keeping himself etc.
For the average consumers i hope those DRMs would be enough incentive to stay far away. Especially with all the horror stories that if your download goes wrong they still charge you and if you ask for help they prompt answer is . F U you where stupid enough to lease music from us.

And Finally they don't even address the issue of selling your private information as they please.

ARRGHHHH

kcshaffe
Aug 5, 2003, 01:33 PM
bad review all around. they even compare Kazaa as 'free' and having 'millions of songs'...but no reference to legality (....is legality even a word?)

mislabeledstar
Aug 5, 2003, 01:49 PM
I was just reading the TechTv article on BuyMusic vs iTunes and they said "BuyMusic offers SDMI-compliant 128-Kbps WMA files. Sound quality is more or less the same as with iTunes tracks."

I've been reading up on the comparisons of MP3 vs AAC, but I was wondering if anyone had information on WMA vs AAC quality or even WMA vs MP3 to get an idea of what compression, size and quality differences are?

NavyIntel007
Aug 5, 2003, 01:57 PM
techtv.com has a bias to windows machines. That's why they failed to mention that iTMS has added songs. I would gather that there's about 225,000 songs now if not more.

Jerry Spoon
Aug 5, 2003, 04:20 PM
Kazaa should have been kept out of this. Seems like the author wanted to not make any final opinion. Have some guts man!

GeeYouEye
Aug 5, 2003, 04:22 PM
Here's how the number of songs was found at buymusic.com: pick a genre, go to list all, and add the numbers given. (This method doesn't work for the iTMS because Apple doesn't restrict songs to one genre) Here are the results:

Alternative: 49,065
Blues: 5,718
Classical: 22,920
Electronic: 2,627
Jazz: 26,326
Metal: 8,779
New Age: 5,089
Oldies: 2,380
Pop/Rock: 13,120
R&B/Soul: 20,309
Rap/Hip Hop: 13,018
Reggae: 2,672
Soundtracks: 340
World: 13,678

TOTAL: 203,130

Not quite as low as boycottbuymusic.com, but nowhere near 300,000 either.

acj
Aug 5, 2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Abstract
Conclusion: iTMS kicks ass. :cool:

I don't like the fact that they said WMA files and AAC files are of similar quality. I haven't used iTMS yet and havent listened to AAC files closely, but I would think they are better than .wma files. I hate .wma.

Thanks for your insight.

eric_n_dfw
Aug 6, 2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
techtv.com has a bias to windows machines. That's why they failed to mention that iTMS has added songs. I would gather that there's about 225,000 songs now if not more. Do they really? I Tivo The Screen Savers and watch it all of the time, but rarely watch the other shows. TSS is very pro-Mac ever since OS X came out and most of the people on there seem pretty well platform nuetral in their comments. Heck, even Peter Norton was wanting an iBook a while ago.

Bendit
Aug 6, 2003, 09:36 AM
Patrick tried an iBook for a while and said it wasn't for him. He liked it but for him a windows laptop was better. Now he has this HUGE pc laptop, don't know what brand it is but it looks really crappy (dell or gateway laptop). Whatever happened to this T series thinkpad?

TSS and Call For Help are very Pro-Mac in my opinion, but the other shows are hosted for people who are quite honestly, idiots. They can't see past the "95% of people use windows so it must be better" argument. The reason TSS and Call For Help use macs is because they are the only real computer expert/literate people on the network.

eric_n_dfw
Aug 6, 2003, 11:51 AM
Patrick's PC is a Gateway - it was given to him by them. (He said so the day he got it) I don't know if it is a permanent "gift" or if it's a loaner though.

Also, a week or so ago, Kevin was asked what he was using for music and he said he has an old G3 Mac he uses exclusively because iTunes is so awesome. :D

Bendit
Aug 6, 2003, 03:17 PM
Ugh. I can't stand Kevin.

What's with him and going arround calling himself a hacker when he's just a script kiddy?

MacMaelstrom
Aug 7, 2003, 07:14 AM
Brett also did some psuedo iPod versus the iPod. iPod wins. :)