PDA

View Full Version : Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S2144 )

MacRumors
Aug 16, 2007, 12:47 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has seeded another version of Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S2144) to developers yesterday. The next update to Apple's Mac OS X Tiger operating system lists only one known issue which involves the system occasionally hanging during shutdown.

Beyond that, there have been a number of new fixes described, including addressing issues with USB modem, modem driver, CoreAudio and m4a files, WebCore Editing, VPN and Rosetta.

Apple last updated Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) on June 20th (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/20/apple-releases-mac-os-x-10-4-10/). Meanwhile, Apple continues to work on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) which is expected to be released in October of this year.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/16/apple-seeds-mac-os-x-10-4-11-8s2144/)

Eidorian
Aug 16, 2007, 12:50 PM
This should probably be out before Leopard.

Hopefully Rosetta will see a few more speed improvements.

gldfsh419
Aug 16, 2007, 12:57 PM
It'd also be nice if this addressed the 10.4.10-induced problem of frequent network-dropping behavior by my MacBook Pro (2.16 Ghz C2D, 15") while using AirPort and battery power. :(

Boxcar Edit
Aug 16, 2007, 01:03 PM
It'd also be nice if this addressed the 10.4.10-induced problem of frequent network-dropping behavior by my MacBook Pro (2.16 Ghz C2D, 15") while using AirPort and battery power. :(

Exactly! I'm officially so, so tired of not having this MBP work properly. I had been thinking maybe the wireless fix would be in 10.4.11 and that's why it was a bit delayed. It's really surprising wireless doesn't seem to be included.

I have a friend who's just switched from Windows to a MBP that arrives in a few days. If he has wireless drops out of the box for a problem that's been known for nearly three months, Apple's going to look pretty silly, and so am I for recommending the switch.

MattJessop
Aug 16, 2007, 01:05 PM

Funnily enough, I noticed this as well. I wasn't sure if it was just my Macbook, or my Wi-Fi network. But it does seem to only occur on battery, (and my signal strength is at 3 bars).

This seems a little soon after the .10 update to me, but if it contains substantial bug fixes, then hopefully it should be ok :)

At least with these updates you feel like your making progression. On Windows it just feels like plugging holes in a boat.

bousozoku
Aug 16, 2007, 01:08 PM
It'd be nice to see fixes for all of the laptop computer problems they introduced with 10.4.10. Hopefully, they find the answers. I'd hate for 10.4.13 to be the final Tiger release.

daneoni
Aug 16, 2007, 01:19 PM

This issue, i have not.

Mitch1984
Aug 16, 2007, 01:20 PM
They need to keep iSync up to date. I keep phones 12-18 months, by the time they support it I've had it 8 months.

bousozoku
Aug 16, 2007, 01:32 PM
Mod. note: off-topic posts will be deleted.

cliffjumper68
Aug 16, 2007, 01:34 PM

Nice to see they are still working on a product even when the next version is soon to be released.

0racle
Aug 16, 2007, 01:41 PM
Nice to see they are still working on a product even when the next version is soon to be released.They'll be supporting Tiger even after Leopard is released, why would you be surprised to see them supporting Tiger before Leopard is released.

This OS goes to 11

mmccaskill
Aug 16, 2007, 01:48 PM
Beyond that, there have been a number of new fixes described, including addressing issues with USB modem, modem driver, CoreAudio and m4a files, WebCore Editing, VPN and Rosetta.
VPN fixes would be great. Considering that I cannot connect to my work VPN with OS X VPN, but can with DigiTunnel is a little annoying.

RqThrottle
Aug 16, 2007, 02:06 PM

Same thing happening on my 17"MBP. Terrible reception after installing 10.4.10. 2-3 bars when it used to be full reception.

verniesgarden
Aug 16, 2007, 02:18 PM
i hope it fixes my screwy audio problem on my mac pro

it pop/buzzes infrequently and it's annoying

shawnce
Aug 16, 2007, 02:19 PM
They'll be supporting Tiger even after Leopard is released, why would you be surprised to see them supporting Tiger before Leopard is released. Well historically once the next major revision of Mac OS X is released the prior version will only get security updates (no minor revisions, unless a big enough issue requires it).

willybNL
Aug 16, 2007, 02:32 PM
With this title of the news I wanted to click 'check for updates'.

Maybe add 'to dev.' next time?:)

SiliconAddict
Aug 16, 2007, 02:35 PM
For an OS that has had 10 major updates; still having issues with modems and hanging on shutdown is pretty damn sloppy for a company that is supost to be "quality" driven. :rolleyes:

spinko
Aug 16, 2007, 02:55 PM
fix the SMB volume-unmounting-after-sleep-issue...

Squonk
Aug 16, 2007, 03:05 PM
Might this be for newwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww hardware? MacPro's perhaps? New video card drivers for iMacAL?

flyinmac
Aug 16, 2007, 03:06 PM
They'll be supporting Tiger even after Leopard is released, why would you be surprised to see them supporting Tiger before Leopard is released.

This OS goes to 11

Definitely.

I was still running OS 10.2.8 on my iMac G3 until a few months ago. And, I was still getting updates through Software Update for it (Mostly security patches, and minor fixes).

That system is now running 10.3.9 and still getting updates there as well.

Yes, I do have some 10.4.x systems in the house as well, but I keep the old iMac around for my kid to beat on :p

BWhaler
Aug 16, 2007, 03:18 PM
I just hope Apple puts in real drivers from the new iMac.

It's pretty disgraceful that the new iMacs have such terrible GPU's, but the fact that the drivers stink and make the GPU even slower, is maddening.

More bug fixes is always good.

Mgkwho
Aug 16, 2007, 03:27 PM
Might this be for newwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww hardware? MacPro's perhaps? New video card drivers for iMacAL?

No, not very likely. There are individual updates per computer-type if it's an update that requires firmware changes.

-=|Mgkwho

EagerDragon
Aug 16, 2007, 03:29 PM
Likely this be out Friday or Monday.

For an OS that has had 10 major updates; still having issues with modems and hanging on shutdown is pretty damn sloppy for a company that is supost to be "quality" driven. :rolleyes:

Most of the issues you allude to are in the Intel side, which has been around for about 18 months or so and were just revised not that long ago to use pre-N 802.11. Part of the growing pain. I have PPC and see few if any issues.

I just hope Apple puts in real drivers from the new iMac.

It's pretty disgraceful that the new iMacs have such terrible GPU's, but the fact that the drivers stink and make the GPU even slower, is maddening.

More bug fixes is always good.

Gamer?

offwidafairies
Aug 16, 2007, 03:38 PM
With this title of the news I wanted to click 'check for updates'.

heh heh me too :)

this thread says lots of negative stuff about mbp bugs. makes me nervous about buying a new one when leopard comes out. i guess leopard will have even more bugs to be fixed, as tiger has been around a while now. hmmm

Peel
Aug 16, 2007, 04:06 PM

Wow, I have this problem too, though I experience it both on battery and while connected to a power supply. I wasn't sure if it was my computer or my router, as I upgraded my router's firmware (Linksys WRT300N) at about the same time that I upgraded to 10.4.10

Poff
Aug 16, 2007, 04:10 PM
lists only one known issue

That's pretty amazing, no? I've never heard of any OS before where the developers knew of only one single issue..!

SiCbe
Aug 16, 2007, 04:14 PM
I really hope they fix the problems with the external USB hard drives... I really can't stand to live without them anymore! :)

Peel
Aug 16, 2007, 04:16 PM
I really hope they fix the problems with the external USB hard drives... I really can't stand to live without them anymore! :)
What problems are you having? I have an external USB drive, and haven't noticed anything wrong.

stx66
Aug 16, 2007, 04:21 PM

Same thing happened to my 2 week old MBP. It came with 10.4.8 and once I updated to 10.4.10 the airport became lousy. I have since downgraded to 10.4.9 and the wireless has been restored to normal. I was planning to buy iWork 08 but since it requires 10.4.10 I won't be getting it until they fix the airport issues.

P.S. I have a 12" Powerbook with 10.4.10 and have no issues.

milo
Aug 16, 2007, 04:31 PM
For an OS that has had 10 major updates...

More like five. The original mac OS 1 through 9 was a completely different OS.

ozontheroad
Aug 16, 2007, 04:34 PM
sigh of relief... i though something was wrong with my elderly PowerBook.

i've had the shut down a couple of times

circusbass
Aug 16, 2007, 04:45 PM
Same thing happened to my 2 week old MBP. It came with 10.4.8 and once I updated to 10.4.10 the airport became lousy. I have since downgraded to 10.4.9 and the wireless has been restored to normal. I was planning to buy iWork 08 but since it requires 10.4.10 I won't be getting it until they fix the airport issues.

P.S. I have a 12" Powerbook with 10.4.10 and have no issues.

I have a 15" Powerbook with 10.4.10 and the wireless is affected. It is driving me crazy. My PB has been the most reliable internet machine I've owned because of its excellent wireless connection, until 10.4.10. This needs to be fixed. Whether in Leopard or in 10.4.23.

Mitch1984
Aug 16, 2007, 05:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK800i/R1JC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

The main causes of problems are change. Whether it's something new or something else that has been fixed. Somethings fixing things conflicts with other things.

AidenShaw
Aug 16, 2007, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by SiliconAddict
For an OS that has had 10 major updates...

More like five. The original mac OS 1 through 9 was a completely different OS.

I assumed that he meant 10.4.1, 10.4.2, 10.4.3, 10.4.4, ... 10.4.10 .

slate1
Aug 16, 2007, 06:13 PM

If it doesn't, I'm going to be seriously pissed... my MacBook is about unusable in a wireless environment.

bousozoku
Aug 16, 2007, 06:24 PM
That's pretty amazing, no? I've never heard of any OS before where the developers knew of only one single issue..!

Just because they don't list problematic issues doesn't mean that they're not there. They don't have to acknowledge them at all.

Doctor X
Aug 16, 2007, 06:34 PM
Wow, I have this problem too, though I experience it both on battery and while connected to a power supply.

For what it is worth, I do not get this problem with my Ancient Pismo on OS 10.4.10. I also use MacWireless 11g PC Card.

Do not know if that is at all helpful.

--J.D.

kitki83
Aug 16, 2007, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I really hope they fix the non mount USB HD because I tried the back roll driver and it causes my USB HD to show but freezes. Man does anyone know if this is being addressed because the OP info doesn't show any indication.

Boxcar Edit
Aug 16, 2007, 07:16 PM
Wow, I have this problem too, though I experience it both on battery and while connected to a power supply. I wasn't sure if it was my computer or my router, as I upgraded my router's firmware (Linksys WRT300N) at about the same time that I upgraded to 10.4.10

As the moderator noted, we risk getting a bit off topic here on wireless details; those interested in the 10.4.10 wireless problems should please redirect to the discussion here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=328087. Apple tech support needs to hear directly from more people to as they only see the problem with some intel machines and not others, so those with Intel-chip portables may want to read the discussion.

To answer your comment, though, it seems the that before the 2007-004 Airport update things worked fine for people when on power but connections dropped on battery. After the update it works fine for 1-2 days, then wireless drops intermittently even when plugged in (though now turning Airport off and back on will reconnect it). Not all people experienced this, but it's the most common description.

Point being, people were really hoping the 10.4.11 would fix wireless but there seems to be no mention of that. Hoping people will chime in on the wireless thread and contact Apple as well.

** I just had to go back and resubmit this post because my wireless had dropped while typing it. Oh, the irony.**

e12a
Aug 16, 2007, 07:24 PM
good at least they acknowledge the problem..

i thought it was just my MBP's hardware.

CybrMike
Aug 16, 2007, 08:01 PM

they already fixed that with an airport update a few weeks ago.

EDIT: NM, guess folks are still having issues. I'm not w/Gen 1 MB Pro.

Amdahl
Aug 16, 2007, 11:14 PM
fix the SMB volume-unmounting-after-sleep-issue...

I have kernel panics connecting to some Samba servers.

madmax_2069
Aug 17, 2007, 05:49 AM
I have kernel panics connecting to some Samba servers.

i have a few issues using connect to server.

i have seen airport get unstable and lose connection in 10.4.10 ( in 10.4.8 and 10.4.9 is was rock solid)

i have seen the stall out on shut down and restart (quite a few times) where i had to force reboot.

i have only had 1 KP ever in tiger on my system. ever since 10.4.3 ( cause of my Pioneer drive stalled out during watching a DVD, had to force quit DVD player and soon as i tried to restart it went into a KP) but that is the only KP i have ever had in tiger, but that is due to 3 extensions that xpostfacto installs.

but i do hope that Apple makes tiger allot better before leopard comes out. i know there is bugs that cant be seen that need fixed (under the skin).

all of this is even on a unsupported system. so i don't think its just intel hardware or supported PPC hardware seeing this issue with the reboot/shutdown stall out (where it just sits there in the blue screen with the spinning thing in the middle lower part of the screen and you hear the HDD park the heads but the system don't shut down). and every time it wont shut down properly and just hangs there and then i force reboot.

the next time i am in tiger (after it does that) i repair permissions and it always finds security.log having improper permissions (and repairs them) for it and the restart/shutdown works fine after that. but its always every time it does it and i repair permissions it always finds security.log with improper permissions and once it corrects them the system will reboot/shutdown just fine. so maybe that has something to do with that problem.

i could be way off on that assumption

kingtj
Aug 17, 2007, 09:17 AM
I really have to agree with you. (I will say, however, that I doubt a whole lot of people are heavily testing the modem functionality these days. I bought the Apple USB modem for my Macbook Pro, just because I got one on sale when CompUSA was closing their stores in my city. But I think I've only attached it and used it 1 time since I owned it. Truthfully, I can get wireless or wired broadband Internet just about everywhere I've gone. The only remaining reason I cared about the modem was for the fax send/receive capabilities.)

But sloppy code is a BIG problem with the industry in general. Where I work, we own a very expensive document management system called "Alchemy", and we just upgraded to their most recent version of the software. (Mind you, we waited about 6 months before moving to it, during which time they already did *4* service packs to the product!) Well, we found a "little" bug already. Their backup utility doesn't work properly! It can't back up its own databases of information without fatal errors! Apparently, they neglected to test that part of the software before releasing it - and didn't even catch it in any of the 4 service packs that followed! That's just plain unbelievably bad, in my opinion. This is a "mission critical" program for companies, storing all of their important paperwork electronically in it -- and they didn't even ensure it can do database backups right?!?

willybNL
Aug 17, 2007, 09:38 AM

Who told you that Apple is Quality driven.

I'm quite sure DESIGN goes in front of Quality at apple.

If it looks good, why care for some bugs (wanna have citations? problems with REV-A products; keynote suddon reboots; iMovie 08 incompatibility; etc.etc.etc.). Sure they fix it, but after release.

verniesgarden
Aug 17, 2007, 11:12 AM

If it looks good, why care for some bugs (wanna have citations? problems with REV-A products; keynote suddon reboots; iMovie 08 incompatibility; etc.etc.etc.). Sure they fix it, but after release.

i totally agree about apple putting design over function, look at the new keyboard, the usb ports are near impractical to use with anything other the mighty mouse, as most usb cables are small enough to fit under the keyboard without making it wobble, never less a usb drive

morespce54
Aug 17, 2007, 01:38 PM

It seems to be the trend these days... :(
More and more, companies release their products (and mostly softwares) and let the customers do the beta-testing. Then, if there is a major problem and if it's worth it, they'll release an update.

The thing is they need to get the product out fast (to follow the schedule and give the customers the impression that the product worth every pennies). So maybe it's partly our fault... Anyway, this seems to be a new trend...

twoodcc
Aug 17, 2007, 04:21 PM
This should probably be out before Leopard.

Hopefully Rosetta will see a few more speed improvements.

yeah, i think it'll be out before Leopard. a faster Rosetta would nice as well

hayesk
Aug 17, 2007, 04:36 PM
this thread says lots of negative stuff about mbp bugs. makes me nervous about buying a new one when leopard comes out. i guess leopard will have even more bugs to be fixed, as tiger has been around a while now. hmmm

That's because nobody posts on forums when things are workin' fine. If your current Mac works ok, how many threads have you posted about it. It's like reading that "lemon-aid" guide for new cars. After reading that, you don't want to buy a new car at all.

As for "quality-driven", software would be much higher quality if we had the patience to wait for it. But we don't. If Apple took the time to make a fast and bug free OS, we'd probably still be waiting for MacOS X 10.0, or have jumped ship to Windows or Linux or something else.

The market doesn't demand bug-free software, it demands "new and improved" software.

Nappi
Aug 18, 2007, 06:16 AM
Yeah, I really hope they fix the non mount USB HD because I tried the back roll driver and it causes my USB HD to show but freezes. Man does anyone know if this is being addressed because the OP info doesn't show any indication.

Me too. I think my mp3-player isn't recognized because of that. It is supposed to work on OS X but people started having issues with it after 10.4.9 or 10.4.10. (I have only tested it under 10.4.10.)

I can still add files in Windows so it's not such a big deal. Reading the Apple's discussion page there seemed to be quite a few users who had problems with their USB hard-drives, which makes me wonder why Apple hasn't released a hotfix or something to solve the issue.

mergatroidal
Aug 18, 2007, 09:24 AM
On my PowerBook G4 667MHz 512Mb.

I almost always have system.log priviledge errors that need fixing every time I run Disk Utility. The last time I ran it I also got iTunes:
Permissions differ on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities
Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities

:apple:+shift+U can have me and the infamous spinning wheel sometimes waiting a full ten seconds for a Finder window to present the Utilities folder.

Sometimes I'll click an icon in the Dock, and the cursor and icon will hang for a number of seconds before the Dock will crash, disappear, and then reboot itself. Everythings fine then.

Graphic Converter to Safari to Pages can have the spinning wheel present itself for inordinate amounts of time.

But hey, after five years of writing a one hundred and seventy-four thousand + word manuscript with AppleWorks using Puma (10.1.5) , I had enough and jumped straight to Tiger and Pages April this year. Yahoo! :)

With 10.1.5 I could receive though couldn't send mail through the Mail app from the NYC public library ethernet link. Port changes did nothing.

http://homepage.mac.com/k24anson/images/picture_1.pct

At all times on the NYC Public Library ethernet, Terminal in Puma and Tiger 10.4.9 would inform me my hostname is some jarbled named server from who knows where, such as this one in the UK! I thought I had a serious problem (my computer is targeted by Homeland Security for survellience?) Only after the 10.4.10 upgrade did the boys and girls at Cupertino fix Tiger and the hostname fiasco ended. I use to have alot of saved pic screenshots of all the different hostnames from Terminal, but these two are all I have now.

http://homepage.mac.com/k24anson/images/picture_4.pct

I never could tell what the server slee45141 or any of the dozens of other sever names I would see, are doing to the NYC Public Library. Homeland Security possibly not even aware their cover has been blown? IT person at the library was uncooperative, clueless. I didn't pursue my curiosity further.

Puma allowed me to get the bulk of the manuscript written. Tiger is great icing on the cake now to polish it up with. I really like interacting with the Aqua candy on the Darwin rock. Boo's just thinking of writing my script on a Windows all these years. Not a thrilling thought, though, unless I happen to replace my present laptop I won't need anything Leopard is about. I don't need Time Machine, etc. for what I'm doing. :o

Tiger rules ...! Definitely. I'm very satisfied with the Apple computer I bought just to write my 'script with.

The fun of writing this post is over. Back to the 'script ...

Fairly
Aug 18, 2007, 02:34 PM
10.4.11 is wrong, just wrong, and again wrong. 10.4.10 was wrong too. As it followed 10.4.9 it should have been 10.4.91. As this follows 10.4.91 it should be 10.4.92. And the proof is that 9 + 2 == 11. :D

torchwood04
Aug 18, 2007, 07:50 PM
10.4.11 is wrong, just wrong, and again wrong. 10.4.10 was wrong too. As it followed 10.4.9 it should have been 10.4.91. As this follows 10.4.91 it should be 10.4.92. And the proof is that 9 + 2 == 11. :D
Geez, can't you people just shush about version numbers? Apple's releasing a bug fix, why aren't people happy? Apple could have given up on Tiger months ago, but they didn't..

vicious7
Aug 18, 2007, 07:53 PM
Tiger works great for me. No problems, so far. I am looking forward to trying out Leopard a couple of months after the release. It looks to have some interesting new functionalities.

heisetax
Aug 19, 2007, 11:45 PM

That quality that you are talking about must be in the iPod & iPhone. That is if you are not talking about batteries.

Bill the TaxMan

chuckiehina
Aug 20, 2007, 07:46 PM
Sorry, I got burned going to 10.4.10 as soon as it came out and had a devil of a time reverting back to .9. This time I will be waiting a month or two to make sure THIS update really makes things better instead of making things worse.

flyinmac
Aug 21, 2007, 04:12 AM
Sorry, I got burned going to 10.4.10 as soon as it came out and had a devil of a time reverting back to .9. This time I will be waiting a month or two to make sure THIS update really makes things better instead of making things worse.

Strange... I didn't have any problem with 10.4.10 (on either Intel or PowerPC - Several PowerPC systems). But, then again, I've never had trouble with any OS X update (all the way from 10.0 to today). I always repair permissions both before and after all my updates, and they've always gone perfectly smooth.

I always update on the day the updates come out. Usually within about 5 minutes of their release.

Guess I must be fortunate.

minkie123
Sep 2, 2007, 05:07 PM

Not sure if this is the same issue that you are having.

AFter spending about an hour on the phone with AT&T high speed internet customer service - my older imac could get on our closed wireless network, but my newer MacBook couldn't - it turns out that there is an issue with 10 Digit Passwords. This is only specific to 2Wire Wireless Modem and Some Linksys modems.

When we changed the password to the higher encryption with a WEP 128Bit/ 26 character password and i was able to get onto my network. Hope that helps.

MikeTheC
Sep 3, 2007, 12:10 AM
This issue, i have not.

http://lrrc3.sas.upenn.edu/popcult/Movies/yoda.lg.jpg

Understand what you mean, I do, for use the Force, my laptop does. And a powerful laptop it is.

MikeTheC
Sep 3, 2007, 12:21 AM
Likely this be out Friday or Monday.

Most of the issues you allude to are in the Intel side, which has been around for about 18 months or so and were just revised not that long ago to use pre-N 802.11. Part of the growing pain. I have PPC and see few if any issues.

Same here, though I will say I have the nagging impression that 10.4 isn't as entirely solid as it used to be. Maybe that's just my imagination, but it seems the case. My two workstations at home are PPC-based (iMac G4/800, PB 1.5/15"), both function fine, and are quite serviceable for my needs.

exigentsky
Sep 3, 2007, 02:57 AM

Don't you know how decimals work? ;)