PDA

View Full Version : International Apple Stores: Canada, UK, Australia

MacRumors
Aug 16, 2007, 02:32 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple is reportedly working on expanding their international presence with new Apple Stores in a number of countries.

TheRegister.co.uk reported (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08/14/apple_uk_oz_store_plans/) that Apple Australia has begun recruiting staff for a new store in Sydney's central George Street. Meanwhile Apple UK is recruiting for staff in stores in Milton Keynes Central shopping mall; Solihull; Exeter's Princesshay centre; Brighton's Church Hill Square; Reading's The Oracle site; Glasgow's Buchanan Street; and Essex's Lakeside shopping centre.

Meanwhile Appleinsider reports (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/15/source_apple_to_build_double_decker_flagship_in_montreal.html) that Apple is planning a "double-decker flagship" store in Montreal, Canada. The new store will be located at 1321 Ste-Catherine Ouest (location photos (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/16/apple_to_begin_work_on_montreal_flagship_this_winter_photos.html)) in Montreal's shopping district.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/16/international-apple-stores-canada-uk-australia/)

johnee
Aug 16, 2007, 02:33 PM
cool. Another reason to go to montreal!

Dagless
Aug 16, 2007, 02:35 PM
How many more Apple Stores does the London area need?

Patch^
Aug 16, 2007, 02:40 PM
We need one in Bournemouth UK, the media school, art institute and many design and media business runs on macs in the area, I think it would do well if Bournemouth had one, there is a couple Apple resellers, but an official Apple store would be better.

But the news of more Apple stores in the UK and worldwide is good!!

notjustjay
Aug 16, 2007, 02:40 PM
Cool, so Toronto and Montreal are covered...

Bring on Ottawa!

(And bring on iTunes TV shows and movies, while we're at it...!)

bmcgrath
Aug 16, 2007, 02:41 PM
Wheres the Irish store then Apple? You have your factory here so why not a store?:confused:

~Shard~
Aug 16, 2007, 02:42 PM

Bring on Ottawa!

Nah, time for a west coast store first. :p ;) Bring one to Vancouver or Calgary, that would be excellent... :cool:

Ottawa would be a great future location though as well. I really enjoyed it when I used to live there.

thomasp
Aug 16, 2007, 02:43 PM
I'm surprised they're going for Lakeside as well (in the UK), especially as Apple have the store in Bluewater, just on the other side of the Thames. Unless they can get a much bigger site at Lakeside and they'll close the Bluewater store.

timmillwood
Aug 16, 2007, 02:45 PM
We need one in Cardiff, it is the capital of Wales!

Raid
Aug 16, 2007, 02:45 PM
Nah, time for a west coast store first. :p ;) Bring one to Vancouver or Calgary, that would be excellent... :cool:

Ottawa would be a great future location though as well. I really enjoyed it when I used to live there. Sorry Shard but I've got to say it, in terms of retail space, the prices in Ottawa look way more reasonable than Vancouver/Calgary! ;)

oh, I almost forgot to say it: Way to go Montreal!

X5-452
Aug 16, 2007, 02:46 PM
I thought they were planning on bringing one to Calgary in Chinook shopping centre. It has the 3rd largest revenue of any mall in Canada, with the first 2 being in Toronto. Montreal makes no sense.

johnee
Aug 16, 2007, 02:48 PM
Wheres the Irish store then Apple? You have your factory here so why not a store?:confused:

that is a bit strange, maybe there isn't enough irish buyers? I certainly would have thought Ireland would have had one....

CrzyCanuck72
Aug 16, 2007, 02:50 PM
a "double decker flagship store" would look hot on Bloor in Yorkville in Toronto. Crazy rent, though.

bmcgrath
Aug 16, 2007, 02:51 PM
that is a bit strange, maybe there isn't enough irish buyers? I certainly would have thought Ireland would have had one....

Theres plenty of buyurs. Dublin city is full of Apple users and I cant understand why they dont have a store yet. Not even 1. I'd expect that in Dublin anyway but Apple must have other ideas. Boo to them

~Shard~
Aug 16, 2007, 02:52 PM
Sorry Shard but I've got to say it, in terms of retail space, the prices in Ottawa look way more reasonable than Vancouver/Calgary! ;)

Oh for sure, in terms of cost, you definitely don't want to be buying anything in Vancouver or Calgary right now! :eek: But it's Apple's money, not mine, so I say go for it. :D :cool:

Guigue
Aug 16, 2007, 02:55 PM
I thought they were planning on bringing one to Calgary in Chinook shopping centre. It has the 3rd largest revenue of any mall in Canada, with the first 2 being in Toronto. Montreal makes no sense.

The Montreal store wouldn't even be in a mall. And Montreal is still a bigger city than Calgary

Antares
Aug 16, 2007, 02:59 PM

Perhaps this is a similar to other manufacturers. Like in Indonesia...where people work in a Nike plant but can't afford to buy the shoes that they, themselves, manufacture. Or like the Island of Fiji. Where something like 35% of the population doesn't have access to clean drinking water yet entire villages may work at the Fiji Water bottling plant. Perhaps its a similar situation in Ireland..... ;)

dAlen
Aug 16, 2007, 03:00 PM
Hmmm...apple store Hungary would be useful.
They have two 'apple' stores, but not the 'real' deal in Budapest.

Better yet, itunes availability in Hungary would be cool - the country is in the E.U. but you sure couldnt tell. :)

Peace

dAlen

flipperman75
Aug 16, 2007, 03:00 PM
The store in Montreal will be on Rue Ste-Catherine Ouest (French for West Saint Catherine Street), not Quest.

bmcgrath
Aug 16, 2007, 03:01 PM
Perhaps this is a similar to other manufacturers. Like in Indonesia...where people work in a Nike plant but can't afford to buy the shoes that they, themselves, manufacture. Or like the Island of Fiji. Where something like 35% of the population doesn't have access to clean drinking water yet entire villages may work at the Fiji Water bottling plant. Perhaps its a similar situation in Ireland.....

what...?

RichardI
Aug 16, 2007, 03:06 PM
Apple certainly do things differently. A flagship store in Montreal?:confused:
With the totalitarian language laws in Quebec, I guess it will have to say "Pomme" on the sign, or they could just use :apple: ;).
I wonder how you say flagship in French? :D

Rich :cool:

Guigue
Aug 16, 2007, 03:07 PM
Apple certainly do things differently. A flagship store in Montreal?:confused:
With the totalitarian language laws in Quebec, I guess it will have to say "Pomme" on the sign, or they could just use :apple: ;).

Yeah, it's totally totalitarian here. That's why we have no big companies at all.

Wal-Mart couldn't even figure how to translate their name. We still mostly use a barter system, it's simpler

Chris F
Aug 16, 2007, 03:07 PM
St Catherines St in Montreal is a perfect location for an Apple store.

ventro
Aug 16, 2007, 03:09 PM
What About Western Canada?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

boxlight
Aug 16, 2007, 03:09 PM
Apple is planning a "double-decker flagship" store in Montreal, Canada.

Nice, but can be have a regular old mall store in Ottawa, please?

applemax
Aug 16, 2007, 03:12 PM
Please, please can we have one in Norwich? We don't even have a reseller!!

Loge
Aug 16, 2007, 03:13 PM

Probably quite a few given how busy Regent Street is; although none of those mentioned is actually in London.

foofighter44
Aug 16, 2007, 03:15 PM
I've been through the recruitment process for the Glasgow store, sadly got rejected at the very last stage... ("As a company, we are not able to provide specific feedback other than we hired those candidates that we felt were most qualified and appropriate for the particular positions we were recruiting for")

They are pushing the Glasgow store as their flagship store in Scotland, on the same level as the Regent Street store in London, with an opening date of late August '07. In fact, they should be indoctrinating the new recruits as we speak!

sweetandsour
Aug 16, 2007, 03:18 PM
Perhaps this is a similar to other manufacturers. Like in Indonesia...where people work in a Nike plant but can't afford to buy the shoes that they, themselves, manufacture. Or like the Island of Fiji. Where something like 35% of the population doesn't have access to clean drinking water yet entire villages may work at the Fiji Water bottling plant. Perhaps its a similar situation in Ireland.....

So you're suggesting that either people in Ireland can't afford to pay for the computers that they are employed to assemble, or that even if they did there is no electricity supply for most of them? Thats what your comment suggests. Think before you make meaningless statements please. (I'm not Irish by the way)

jeffy.dee-lux
Aug 16, 2007, 03:21 PM
Finally a store in Montreal. Macs are VERY popular here, lots and lots of students, and I'd say about half the laptops I see at McGill are macs. Right down town too, much better than whatever they decided to open up out in Laval.
Hey Calgary dude, why doesn't Montreal make any sense to you?
And i wouldn't be too worried about the Office de la langue Française cracking down on Apple stores, they even let Second Cup fly, and that's just a little Canadian café chain, not a chique computer company with such internationally recognizable branding as Apple. That's just one example... Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Chapters all pop up in a second as other companies that have very english signs up outside their stores. "Apple" will fly no problem.

srobert
Aug 16, 2007, 03:22 PM
Wal-Mart couldn't even figure how to translate their name. We still mostly use a barter system, it's simpler

Everybody here know that "Wal-Mart" is French Candadian is "Wal-Marde" ;)

I would welcome an Apple Store on St-Cath's street. I was surprised when they located the first on in Laval.

flashy-cat
Aug 16, 2007, 03:25 PM
I'm surprised they're going for Lakeside as well (in the UK), especially as Apple have the store in Bluewater, just on the other side of the Thames. Unless they can get a much bigger site at Lakeside and they'll close the Bluewater store.

Was in Lakeside yesterday, the new store is next to the Carphone Warehouse. Was all boarded up so couldn't see how well it was progressing.

bhjs1
Aug 16, 2007, 03:26 PM

Nice, but can be have a regular old mall store in Ottawa, please?

I agree... ANY SORT OF APPLE STORE IN OTTAWA...

and making the US to CAD conversion more fair online would be nice too....

why do americans get macbooks 200$ cheaper when our dollar is worth like 95 cents US??

Although montreal isn't too far away for a day trip...only two hours... so that will be nice

artistry
Aug 16, 2007, 03:26 PM
It's 'Churchill Square', not 'Church Hill'
You may remember him from such wars as the Boer War, The Great War and the Second World War.

Interestingly (or not) I used to live round the corner from his old school in Brighton, and now live in his old constituency (Dundee). :D

As for the question about why London needs another Apple store... Have you seen the size of London??
You might think it's a long way to the chemist, but it's nothing compared with the distance from one end of that place to the other.

(Apologies to Douglas Adams)

notjustjay
Aug 16, 2007, 03:28 PM
"Apple" will fly no problem.

I hope so. "Le magasin de pommes" doesn't quite have the same ring.

bmcgrath
Aug 16, 2007, 03:28 PM
So you're suggesting that either people in Ireland can't afford to pay for the computers that they are employed to assemble, or that even if they did there is no electricity supply for most of them? Thats what your comment suggests. Think before you make meaningless statements please. (I'm not Irish by the way)

Thank you someone has sense :)

bhjs1
Aug 16, 2007, 03:29 PM
Yeah, it's totally totalitarian here. That's why we have no big companies at all.

bahahahaha

ChrisA
Aug 16, 2007, 03:33 PM
Bring one to Vancouver or Calgary, that would be excellent... :cool:..

I can just picture it. An iPod store on the waterfront by Vancouvers False Creek. It would be a "skate through" where you can skate in, pick an iPod, swipe the credit card then out the exit and never have to remove your inline roller skates.

Pyrix
Aug 16, 2007, 03:35 PM
For any Milton Keynes people, looks like the new Apple store will be in Midsummer place, near Top Man, New Look, Virgin, etc. Just past the big tree area. I for one shall be visiting.

uMac
Aug 16, 2007, 03:39 PM

Bring on Ottawa!

Yes Ottawa seriously needs good Apple representation!

bilbo--baggins
Aug 16, 2007, 03:39 PM

I suspect most Americans don't even know where Ireland is, hence the comments about third world countries.

thePhilster
Aug 16, 2007, 03:40 PM

Y'know, I was wondering the same thing. I can't imagine Northern Ireland (where I'm from) would be on Apple's radar, but surely Dublin is worth of a store!?

offwidafairies
Aug 16, 2007, 03:42 PM
i love going to different apple stores in different cities/countries :)
they used to have one in east brisbane, australia, but it disappeared. hope they put one in west brisbane (near me) so i dont have to go all the way to the city just to play with new toys :D

bmcgrath
Aug 16, 2007, 03:43 PM
Y'know, I was wondering the same thing. I can't imagine Northern Ireland (where I'm from) would be on Apple's radar, but surely Dublin is worth of a store!?

Well I think Belfast should get one aswell. There big enough citys. And a growing Apple clientel. They need to start opening some stores ;)

dansgil
Aug 16, 2007, 03:52 PM
I'm surprised Apple hasn't opened up an Apple Store in Vancouver yet. It makes sense to have a store in Vancouver, considering that there are a lot of Mac users here, many in the film industry.

It really is a pain having to take your broken Macs to resellers for repair.

galstaph
Aug 16, 2007, 04:02 PM
Calgary left out again eh?
We almost had one last year... they were going to move into Chinook Centre, even had the job postings... but it fell through. I think they might be waiting for the 800 million dollar expansion that is supposed to start soon... customized space and all...
Western Canada (Alberta) makes sense. We have two busy resellers here in Calgary, and don't forget we have all that oil and executive money:D (Alberta has more millionaires per capita than any other province:eek:, no wonder housing prices are so high:rolleyes:)
I constantly get asked about apple products when people see my iBook, Apple needs to step up their schedule and get a Calgary store soon...

koobcamuk
Aug 16, 2007, 04:03 PM

I think you might piss a few Irish off with that. And a few other people anyway.

Isn't it a load of the Americans that claim to be 'Irish' anyway? Boston anyone? They are no more Irish than I.

jialuolu
Aug 16, 2007, 04:06 PM
That's great for Montreal and that's a great location but Ottawa needs to be next! I used to go to Compusmart for all my Apple gear and now that they're closed, I've been trying to buy a wired apple keyboard from Best Buy for 3 weeks and it's the most toothgrinding experience ever

jeffy.dee-lux
Aug 16, 2007, 04:06 PM
yeah, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver are the first three logical choices to me. Calgary and Ottawa next maybe. Wouldn't have surprised me if Vancouver got one before Montreal.

Good timing for me, I've lived in Montreal all of my 23 years, struggling to find Apple service providers for years, and now moving to the UK in a month. :rolleyes: Though apparently i won't have any problems finding an Apple store in London?

hogmog
Aug 16, 2007, 04:07 PM

Reading is not it London - well not yet anyway. With plans for 3m new homes in the South East it might well be soon. It is about time there was a decent computer store in the area. Reading was/is supposed to be the 'capital' of the UKs silicon valley being home to Microsoft, Oracle, (DEC/Compaq) HP, and numerous other hardware and software suppliers/developers but can only muster Evesham (own brand Win machines) and John Lewis (who do do Apple but not the range). Oh and PC World but lets move on... So I will be pleased to spend 20 mins on a bus rather than 1.5 hours + on train / tube.

Spaceman Spiff
Aug 16, 2007, 04:11 PM
I continue to wait angrily for a Vancouver Apple Store.

My brother will get to use the Montreal flagship store, being at McGill.

Sayhey
Aug 16, 2007, 04:13 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple is reportedly working on expanding their international presence with new Apple Stores in a number of countries.

TheRegister.co.uk reported (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08/14/apple_uk_oz_store_plans/) that Apple Australia has begun recruiting staff for a new store in Sydney's central George Street. Meanwhile Apple UK is recruiting for staff in stores in Milton Keynes Central shopping mall; Solihull; Exeter's Princesshay centre; Brighton's Church Hill Square; Reading's The Oracle site; Glasgow's Buchanan Street; and Essex's Lakeside shopping centre.

Meanwhile Appleinsider reports (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/15/source_apple_to_build_double_decker_flagship_in_montreal.html) that Apple is planning a "double-decker flagship" store in Montreal, Canada. The new store will be located at 1321 Ste-Catherine Quest (location photos (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/16/apple_to_begin_work_on_montreal_flagship_this_winter_photos.html)) in Montreal's shopping district.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/16/international-apple-stores-canada-uk-australia/)

I'm always glad to see a new thread on Apple's retail stores, but I've got to ask a question. Do the administrators of MacRumors ever read anything posted by members on this site? Every piece of "news" in this story has already been posted in the "New Apple Retail Stores in 2006 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=189315)" thread. Somehow, that doesn't deserve a mention? Not only that, but parts of this story - the UK stores - were posted first by me before anyone else, on any site. No mention for months by MacRumors' administrators, but now it would seem it is worthy of a new thread. I guess it takes an AppleInsider or a ThinkSecret story to get some folks attention.

Want to be helpful with "breaking news" on the retail front? How about a new thread for retail discussion - on all locations - that doesn't have "2006" in it's title? That would be good even if it is months after I've requested it. Sorry, it this is less than diplomatic, but this is ridiculous. There is no reason MacRumors could not be the site people come to for this information, that is except for the fact member's posts of real breaking news is ignored.

bmcgrath
Aug 16, 2007, 04:16 PM
I think you might piss a few Irish off with that. And a few other people anyway.

Isn't it a load of the Americans that claim to be 'Irish' anyway? Boston anyone? They are no more Irish than I.

He has just a bit! :mad:

Antares
Aug 16, 2007, 04:20 PM
So you're suggesting that either people in Ireland can't afford to pay for the computers that they are employed to assemble, or that even if they did there is no electricity supply for most of them? Thats what your comment suggests.

Well, I said that half jokingly as that is what it was kind of implying. The not joking part was how some companies can seem to ignore the very people who make/harvest/manufature their products...that's what I really meant by giving those examples. But I see how my original post could sound wrong.

To clarify even more, what I also wanted to point out is that just because a company has a manufacturing plant in a particular location doesn't automatically mean that the market in that area can sustain a retail location. A manufacturing site is often chosen based on the labor and operating cost of a given area. Maybe, statistically, there are not enough Apple customers in any given location in Ireland for an Apple Store to be profitable. Apple may be pursuing more potentially lucrative locations first. However, not knowing the demographics in the country, I can only speculate.

I am kind of curious about how Apple chooses retail locations. Is it always based on potential profitably or does the company also consider the effects that the visual/physical presence of a store can have on public mindshare?

(I do have relatives in Ireland, by the way..and a bit of Irish ancestry)

bentley
Aug 16, 2007, 04:22 PM
I pray for a Leeds store.

I've had the 3 hour round trip to Sheffield Meadowhall 5 times this past year to get various things fixed.

tjcampbell
Aug 16, 2007, 04:31 PM

So true!

PumaGuy
Aug 16, 2007, 04:40 PM
You people have no idea how happy I am, but displeased... Happy that Apple choose the Mens location because my brother works right next to it at Vasco Cigars, but unhappy because I shop there :(

I will try to talk to the manager at Mens to see what is really going on :)

zwiggles1
Aug 16, 2007, 04:45 PM
How does Vancouver not have a Apple Store???
This place is crawling with Mac users that urn for a store. Not to put down a couple of the local shops here, but compared to the corporate stores, it's no contest.

We're good enough to get the Olympics, but not good enough for Apple?
(Kind of a weird comparison, but seriously)

PumaGuy
Aug 16, 2007, 04:49 PM
I just called my brother and he told me that he knew about this for MONTHS! Can't believe he didn't tell me!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Can't wait till it opens!~

beginner0
Aug 16, 2007, 04:52 PM
I find Montreal makes sense. French people in general have more taste in artistic stuff over others.

Antares
Aug 16, 2007, 04:52 PM
Yeah, some areas seem to be too saturated with Apple stores while other areas, which seem like they could use a store, don't have one. Looking at Apple's retail page, I can't believe how many stores have opened up. I remember how ecstatically excited we were whenever a new store opened (many of us, anyway)....waiting in line 6 hours or more with hundreds of other people to be among the first to get in.

tom.96
Aug 16, 2007, 05:06 PM
I live in Exeter and I can't wait for the new Apple Store to open. The new princesshay redevelopment is due to open in the Autumn and it is going to transform shopping in the city. Lots of new retailers are moving in to this upmarket development so it is ideal for Apple. I already shop in the Regent St and Southampton stores so one down the road will be very handy.

bigmc023
Aug 16, 2007, 05:16 PM
It's Ouest (French word for West). . .not Quest. haha.

Pretty cool to have a nice big Apple store downtown and not just the boring mall location in Laval.

Eric Lewis
Aug 16, 2007, 05:22 PM
How hard can it be to open more stores in Canada!

Cities that need an Apple Store in Canada!

1)Calgary
2)Edmonton
3)Vancouver
4)Other areas of toronto(ie. kitchener/waterloo area)
5)Ottawa
6)London

Like lease or rent a spot in a mall and open a store? not the complicated? and they will do well? how can a store that sells iPods and Macs and soon iPhones fail? its pretty hard!

Rozvagyj
Aug 16, 2007, 05:32 PM
The new store will be located at 1321 Ste-Catherine Quest (location photos (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/16/apple_to_begin_work_on_montreal_flagship_this_winter_photos.html)) in Montreal's shopping district.

can u imagine a giant apple logo on the topof that, eh? wooo go canada.

It's Ouest (French word for West). . .not Quest. haha.

and +1

Darkroom
Aug 16, 2007, 05:50 PM
if i could speak better french i would consider applying at the new apple store downtown when it opens... i wonder if they have techy jobs in the back, like slaves doing monkey work installing / fixing stuff etc...

Darkroom
Aug 16, 2007, 05:56 PM

haha!

PumaGuy
Aug 16, 2007, 05:58 PM
if i could speak better french i would consider applying at the new apple store downtown when it opens... i wonder if they have techy jobs in the back, like slaves doing monkey work installing / fixing stuff etc...

I hear you, but with me it's only if I were a little bit older, then it wouldn't be considered as child labour:eek:

FelixGV
Aug 16, 2007, 06:00 PM
It's Sainte-Catherine Ouest. Not Quest :p ;)

Kebabselector
Aug 16, 2007, 06:09 PM
Must say i'm happy to see one opening in Solihull. It may help John Lewis actually get some Apple stock in (prefer to use John Lewis as I get a 12.5% discount!).

Anyway, 2 reasons for visiting Touchwood now. JL and Apple!

Eaon
Aug 16, 2007, 06:09 PM
Everybody here know that "Wal-Mart" is French Candadian is "Wal-Marde" ;)

merde?

PumaGuy
Aug 16, 2007, 06:12 PM
merde?

Yeah! Well it means "sh**!"

21stcenturykid
Aug 16, 2007, 06:15 PM
Minus the new glasgow store are Apple allergic to anywhere north of Birmingham??? I NEEEEED and Apple store in newcastle :) I'd even not use macrumors to work there if there was one :eek: (is that sacriledge? lol)

Newcastle or Middlesborough could both do with one really!

AlBDamned
Aug 16, 2007, 06:17 PM
As far as I can tell, The Register is wrong in that they're currently recruiting for stores in Australia. Can't see any adverts anywhere. I remember similar stories when the stores were first announced but there's nothing on the Apple.com.au website. Maybe the ads are in other classifieds somewhere.

With regard to Sydney, there's a couple of places in George Street it could be (with mass-building going on), but at this stage it's impossible to tell for sure.

Mac-Addict
Aug 16, 2007, 06:17 PM
Yes oh thank god lakeside is on there, I know bluewater it litterally a mile away from lakeside but it means I dont have to go to the **** hole which is bluewater!

Eaon
Aug 16, 2007, 06:20 PM
Yeah! Well it means "sh**!"

Je sais ça. But he said "marde", which means nothing interesting as far as I remember, though it has been a while since high school. :)

mad jew
Aug 16, 2007, 06:26 PM
I won't use one of their stores until they open on top of Uluru.

MrGouda
Aug 16, 2007, 06:28 PM
I vote for a Vancouver store as well. The closest Apple stores are down south in the states in Seattle.

deakinng
Aug 16, 2007, 06:31 PM
why not vancouver???? :eek:

LouTreize
Aug 16, 2007, 06:36 PM
The store in Montreal will be on Rue Ste-Catherine Ouest (French for West Saint Catherine Street), not Quest.

+1 TYPO!

PumaGuy
Aug 16, 2007, 06:44 PM
Je sais ça. But he said "marde", which means nothing interesting as far as I remember, though it has been a while since high school. :)

Yeah, "Marde" goed with "Mart", like Wal-Mart :)

Hey guys! My brother practically lives at Men's (the lot that Apple wants), so i'll try to get more info on whats going on :):):)

~Shard~
Aug 16, 2007, 06:56 PM
merde?

You're a Canadian man, come on, we have 2 official languages here, you *must* know what that means! :D

~Shard~
Aug 16, 2007, 06:59 PM
I won't use one of their stores until they open on top of Uluru.

I've been there, that would be an excellent location! There and one in the heart of Kakadu. :D :cool:

aswitcher
Aug 16, 2007, 07:17 PM
Looking forward to the Sydney store. I am hoping its an October opening.

deasine
Aug 16, 2007, 07:29 PM
It's really disappointing to see there is no mention of Vancouver. Honestly, Vancouver should have been the first city to have a store (well maybe Toronto). We have the largest film industry of Canada (actually, Vancouver is called Hollywood North). And we have many many high tech industries, EA Games has a campus here. Adding to the fact that the Vancouverite lifestyle is all about simplicity and luxury, which is what Apple is all about. There are so many Mac stores in downtown such as Mac station but it's still not Apple. At least one half of the students in every lower mainland highschool has iPods (notice AT LEAST). Why can't Vancouver have a flagship store with soo much demand?

Adding to the fact that an Apple store will match the cities distinct architecture.

flopticalcube
Aug 16, 2007, 07:32 PM
It's really disappointing to see there is no mention of Vancouver. Honestly, Vancouver should have been the first city to have a store (well maybe Toronto). We have the largest film industry of Canada (actually, Vancouver is called Hollywood North). And we have many many high tech industries, EA Games has a campus here. Adding to the fact that the Vancouverite lifestyle is all about simplicity and luxury, which is what Apple is all about. There are so many Mac stores in downtown such as Mac station but it's still not Apple. At least one half of the students in every lower mainland highschool has iPods (notice AT LEAST). Why can't Vancouver have a flagship store with soo much demand?

Adding to the fact that an Apple store will match the cities distinct architecture.

Besides which you have to travel 3000K to get to the nearest one!

AlBDamned
Aug 16, 2007, 07:40 PM
I've been there, that would be an excellent location!

Hell no, there's way too many flies!

mad jew
Aug 16, 2007, 07:41 PM
So get an iSwat.

slimslam
Aug 16, 2007, 07:55 PM
shop in reading, awesome.

AlBDamned
Aug 16, 2007, 07:58 PM
So get an iSwat.

I think you'd need one of those iHat-Net things....

jvencius
Aug 16, 2007, 08:12 PM

"Je Abondonne"?:p

bobrik
Aug 16, 2007, 08:15 PM
It makes an impression on me that Apple are rasists. Stores in Canada, USA, Australia, UK - you see how these are exactly just countries with English as first language? I know it's because it has many buyers there, but still makes an uncomfortable impression on me that Apple looks down on me as a second class citizen just because my native language is not English.

Come on Apple, more stores in Central Europe! Prague is waiting for you!

AlBDamned
Aug 16, 2007, 08:19 PM
It makes an impression on me that Apple are rasists. Stores in Canada, USA, Australia, UK - you see how these are exactly just countries with English as first language? I know it's because it has many buyers there, but still makes an uncomfortable impression on me that Apple looks down on me as a second class citizen just because my native language is not English.

Yes, I think they also find this problem in Tokyo.... ;-)

Chundles
Aug 16, 2007, 08:52 PM
Besides which you have to travel 3000K to get to the nearest one!

3000k? Luxury.

See now down here we have it tough.

CARN THE SYDNEY STORE!!!

Cecily
Aug 16, 2007, 08:53 PM
That's nice. We could still use some around where I live though in South West MI. It'd be nice to NOT have to drive 4 hours across state to get to an Apple store.

mike301
Aug 16, 2007, 08:58 PM
The Montreal store wouldn't even be in a mall. And Montreal is still a bigger city than Calgary

There is life beyond the mall! :)

Laurent
Aug 16, 2007, 09:06 PM
NIIIIIICE! An Apple flagship store at proximity of my home!

Yeah, it's Ste-Catherine West, not Quest...

Ha ze
Aug 16, 2007, 09:08 PM
It's not an international store, but I believe there is a new one coming to the Chicago area at north and clybourn that will be around 14,000 sq ft and only 3 miles from the Michigan Ave. location

AidenShaw
Aug 16, 2007, 09:17 PM
It's not an international store, but I believe there is a new one coming to the Chicago area at north and clybourn that will be around 14,000 sq ft and only 3 miles from the Michigan Ave. location

I was in Las Vegas recently, and as I walked out of Caesar's Palace (past a "Tiffany's coming soon" construction site) I saw the sign for "Tiffany's" across the street at the Bellagio.

Is that the path that Apple is taking? I fear that it is....

Make sure that you can't drive 10 minutes in a "gold coast" area without seeing an Apple store - but not caring if it's a 10 hour drive for most people.

By the way, have you noticed that after the recent Intel price cuts that HP and Dell are selling quad core systems for less than what dual cores went for a couple of months ago - yet Apple's not changed the price or specs on the Mac Pro in a year?

Suckers.... Buying computers from a company that uses DeBeers as a marketing model.

MadWhack
Aug 16, 2007, 09:39 PM

In all fairness, Quebec is a French province...

iWinnipegger
Aug 16, 2007, 09:40 PM
Winnipeg Plz : p Preferably St Vital Centre, then i could walk there : D

I'd expect one in Edmonton, West Edmonton Mall, It's the biggest mall in North America and doesn't have an Apple Store !! : O

beer.coffee
Aug 16, 2007, 09:58 PM
Damm you Sydney!

Might be taking a year off next year....how hard is it to get a job at an Apple store if your a bonafied apple addict and dont look half bad in real life?

the-fat-man@hot
Aug 16, 2007, 10:28 PM
I've been through the recruitment process for the Glasgow store, sadly got rejected at the very last stage... ("As a company, we are not able to provide specific feedback other than we hired those candidates that we felt were most qualified and appropriate for the particular positions we were recruiting for")

Been through the same process for the Glasgow store recruitment - very poor interview. I was up for a 'Creative' job so the tiny room was full of creative types trying to showcase their music, movies etc but we had to be very quiet as the room was borrowed and the office staff next door were complaining about the noise. They provided a crappy projector attached to an ancient laptop - and with no blinds the image (1 foot x 2 foot) was hardly visible.
(I am not exagerating).
The two Apple people interviewing were both finance/personnel so didn't know anything about the programmes being discussed.

Not quite what I expected.

PumaGuy
Aug 16, 2007, 10:32 PM
NIIIIIICE! An Apple flagship store at proximity of my home!

Yeah, it's Ste-Catherine West, not Quest...

OUEST!!!, quebecois ftw :)

queshy
Aug 16, 2007, 11:18 PM
w00t! I live in Montreal!

There is actually an apple store in Laval which is very close by. I'm surprised they're opening another one since only ontario has apple stores -none of the other provinces have them!

Ste-Catherine Ouest is a nice area, but some parts of the street are sketch...the apple store is definitely in a higher-profile section.

Can't wait!

AidenShaw
Aug 16, 2007, 11:26 PM
how hard is it to get a job at an Apple store if your a bonafied apple addict and dont look half bad in real life?

I think that they look for hotties first, then for qualifications.

I've talked to too many adorable, but lame-brained, geniuses....

Iggy
Aug 16, 2007, 11:31 PM
We need one in Bournemouth UK, the media school, art institute and many design and media business runs on macs in the area, I think it would do well if Bournemouth had one, there is a couple Apple resellers, but an official Apple store would be better.

But the news of more Apple stores in the UK and worldwide is good!!

I hear ya! Right now we got that crappy shop on old christchurch road and the kids with the fancy hair in there don't really know what they're talking about.

"Milton Keynes Central shopping mall; Solihull; Exeter's Princesshay centre; Brighton's Church Hill Square; Reading's The Oracle site; Glasgow's Buchanan Street; and Essex's Lakeside shopping centre."

Really? Why?

DJMastaWes
Aug 16, 2007, 11:40 PM
w00t for living in Montreal.

I know someone that works at Mens. I can't wait for it to come to Montreal. I'm going to be in line on the opening. Hopefully I'll get a free T-shirt.

Phormic
Aug 17, 2007, 12:36 AM
As far as I can tell, The Register is wrong in that they're currently recruiting for stores in Australia. Can't see any adverts anywhere. I remember similar stories when the stores were first announced but there's nothing on the Apple.com.au website. Maybe the ads are in other classifieds somewhere.

With regard to Sydney, there's a couple of places in George Street it could be (with mass-building going on), but at this stage it's impossible to tell for sure.

You can find jobs at the Sydney store here:

http://www.apple.com/jobs/au/index.html

I'm trying on black turtlenecks and Converse and practicing my "booms!"

The store will be over three floors of the old Westpac Bank building at 367 George St. The building has been rebranded as 77 King St (it's on the corner) just to confuse everybody. The refit will cost A$15.4 million, which is a lot of Nanos if you think about it (77,387 to be precise).

PumaGuy
Aug 17, 2007, 12:37 AM
w00t! I live in Montreal!...

...the apple store is definitely in a higher-profile section.

Can't wait!

Being right next store to one of the best cigar stores in Montreal, Vasco's, it sure is :)

AlBDamned
Aug 17, 2007, 12:49 AM

The store will be over three floors of the old Westpac Bank building at 367 George St. The building has been rebranded as 77 King St (it's on the corner) just to confuse everybody. The refit will cost A$15.4 million, which is a lot of Nanos if you think about it (77,387 to be precise).

Cool, that link was broken yesterday. I take it all back... :-)

aliquis-
Aug 17, 2007, 12:55 AM
But where is the swedish apple store!?!

My home town which I think is the sixth largest in Sweden doesn't even have a store which sells Apple machines at all afaik.

If I where rich I could had started one ;D

winmacguy
Aug 17, 2007, 01:07 AM
Perhaps this is a similar to other manufacturers. Like in Indonesia...where people work in a Nike plant but can't afford to buy the shoes that they, themselves, manufacture. Or like the Island of Fiji.

Fiji is actually made up of 2 main Islands with Viti Levu being the larger main island which is just south of Vanua Levu. They are surrounded by thousands of smaller islands.
http://www.mapsouthpacific.com/fiji/index.html

bigpoppamac31
Aug 17, 2007, 01:23 AM
For those supporting the idea of an Apple Store in Ottawa I thank you. I'm from Ottawa but currently reside in Calgary. It would be great to see and Apple Store in Canada's Capital city. C'mon Apple Ottawa deserves one.:)

They were going to put one here in Calgary but due to issues with Chinook Centre management they pulled out of the deal. I heard one reason Apple ended up not putting one in Chinook is because each store space has structural support pillars for the building and Apple didn't like it because it would interfere with the "look" of the store.

In any event hopefully Apple will put more stores in Canada. And yes when will Apple give us Canadians the ability to download movies and TV shows from the iTunes store??:mad:

MacinDoc
Aug 17, 2007, 01:49 AM

Umm... what have you been doing in Apple stores talking to geniuses? You don't even use a Mac, do you?

As far as the next location in Canada goes, I read somewhere that the GM of Chinook Centre in Calgary had said that Apple was opening a store there this year - I wonder if that got canned because of his premature announcement. :(

Edit: didn't see bigpoppa's post before I posted this...

msandersen
Aug 17, 2007, 03:50 AM
They've been advertising for staff here in Sydney for a couple of months, so hardly news. didn't know where the store was going or when, though.
I did post to MacRumors, so they would've known too.

maehara
Aug 17, 2007, 03:51 AM
Y'know, I was wondering the same thing. I can't imagine Northern Ireland (where I'm from) would be on Apple's radar.
I promise to make a weekly pilgrimage should they open a Belfast store. Although for the sake of my wallet, it's probably better if they don't...

flashy-cat
Aug 17, 2007, 04:14 AM

I've had the 3 hour round trip to Sheffield Meadowhall 5 times this past year to get various things fixed.

Agreed. Leeds has a population of over 700,000 and and over a million live in the metropolitan area. Why does Manchester get TWO stores?

msandersen
Aug 17, 2007, 04:25 AM

"Rasists" [sic]? If you mean discrimination on the grounds of language spoken, surely it would be "Linguists"??? :D
As far as I know, the Polish are the same Caucasian "race" as most of Europe and America, where the stores are (along with those darn French and Japanese speakers). It has more to do with where the premium market is, and not growing too quickly.
I use "race" in quotes, as it's a spurious concept, genetically speaking, as there are no subgroups to the Human Race. It's a relatively modern concept. The eugenics movement is long since discredited.

msandersen
Aug 17, 2007, 04:39 AM

I guess that rules me out! :(

foofighter44
Aug 17, 2007, 05:48 AM
Been through the same process for the Glasgow store recruitment - very poor interview. I was up for a 'Creative' job so the tiny room was full of creative types trying to showcase their music, movies etc but we had to be very quiet as the room was borrowed and the office staff next door were complaining about the noise. They provided a crappy projector attached to an ancient laptop - and with no blinds the image (1 foot x 2 foot) was hardly visible.
(I am not exagerating).
The two Apple people interviewing were both finance/personnel so didn't know anything about the programmes being discussed.

Not quite what I expected.

I went for the specialist job which is basically a shop floor monkey with a little product knowledge. The room i was in however, was packed with creative types that hadn't got as far as yourself and 10 mobile phone sales people. The apple recruiters seemed like they knew the business to me, one was a store manager in england, another was the uk recruitment representative, but they could have prepared better.

The bit that scared me the most though was the training process which looked to me like it involved reciting mantras and motivational things like the haka. Basically it's exactly like Gap but with decent products

Laurent
Aug 17, 2007, 06:14 AM
OUEST!!!, quebecois ftw :)C'est juste qu'y'a déjà un gars qui lui a dit de cette façon, je me suis dit qu'Arn aurait peut-être remarqué plus rapidement un mot anglais! ;oP

Laurent
Aug 17, 2007, 06:16 AM
w00t! I live in Montreal!

There is actually an apple store in Laval which is very close by. I'm surprised they're opening another one since only ontario has apple stores -none of the other provinces have them!

Ste-Catherine Ouest is a nice area, but some parts of the street are sketch...the apple store is definitely in a higher-profile section.

Can't wait!The store at Laval ain't a "flagship" one... This means a high profile store, maybe with an architectural overhaul!

maestrokev
Aug 17, 2007, 06:49 AM
They've been advertising for staff here in Sydney for a couple of months, so hardly news. didn't know where the store was going or when, though.
I did post to MacRumors, so they would've known too.

Store going in on George St (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/02/08/glass_adorned_apple_store_sydney_revealed_images.html)

Just phoned Apple Australia and they can't advise when store will open.

jesteraver
Aug 17, 2007, 06:59 AM
FINALLY!

I'm going to beg for a job.

I just wonder where Mens is going too move to, guess I'll have to go ask.

Hmm it would be interesting, the day it opens. The iPhone would be for sale in Canada. That's just me.

miniConvert
Aug 17, 2007, 07:03 AM
I'm curious as to why there's one going up in Solihull. I mean, sure, it's a wealthy suburb, but surely cities like Canterbury would make far better candidates?

Oh well. With any luck the youth of Solihull will start spending more of their money on MacBooks and less on doing up their cars.

aswitcher
Aug 17, 2007, 07:05 AM
Store going in on George St (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/02/08/glass_adorned_apple_store_sydney_revealed_images.html)

Just phoned Apple Australia and they can't advise when store will open.

You need to work more on your Steve Jobs accent for the next call.

kwajo.com
Aug 17, 2007, 07:22 AM
How hard can it be to open more stores in Canada!

Cities that need an Apple Store in Canada!

1)Calgary
2)Edmonton
3)Vancouver
4)Other areas of toronto(ie. kitchener/waterloo area)
5)Ottawa
6)London

Like lease or rent a spot in a mall and open a store? not the complicated? and they will do well? how can a store that sells iPods and Macs and soon iPhones fail? its pretty hard!

*cough* forget Atlantic Canada much?

ilikemonkeys
Aug 17, 2007, 08:30 AM
Sorry Shard but I've got to say it, in terms of retail space, the prices in Ottawa look way more reasonable than Vancouver/Calgary! ;)

oh, I almost forgot to say it: Way to go Montreal!

Your kidding right? Alberta is the only province who does not charge PST. Calgary (supposebly) has the largest population using broadband. Why would Calgary not be a good choice? Us out west need a store! Whatever did happen to the Calgary store? I thought it was going to open in Chinook Mall? Apple used to have job postings for it.

msandersen
Aug 17, 2007, 08:38 AM
You need to work more on your Steve Jobs accent for the next call.
Obviously no Mac Geniuses on the phone if they think Steve rings Apple Australia to ask when the store is gonna open :)
Would be a fun prank call though; or perhaps doing a Crocodile Jobs accent. "That's not a phone; THIS is a phone!" (pulls out iPhone; PocketPC user flees).

j26
Aug 17, 2007, 08:45 AM
Perhaps this is a similar to other manufacturers. Like in Indonesia...where people work in a Nike plant but can't afford to buy the shoes that they, themselves, manufacture. Or like the Island of Fiji. Where something like 35% of the population doesn't have access to clean drinking water yet entire villages may work at the Fiji Water bottling plant. Perhaps its a similar situation in Ireland..... ;)

Ahem...
(report here) (http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10006514.shtml) table from it below - for you poor people to read!!!!

maestrokev
Aug 17, 2007, 08:47 AM
Obviously no Mac Geniuses on the phone if they think Steve rings Apple Australia to ask when the store is gonna open :)
Would be a fun prank call though; or perhaps doing a Crocodile Jobs accent. "That's not a phone; THIS is a phone!" (pulls out iPhone; PocketPC user flees).

Hehe, think I'll try that. Anyone know whether the Apple phone staff work on commission?

morespce54
Aug 17, 2007, 09:03 AM

Meanwhile Appleinsider reports (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/15/source_apple_to_build_double_decker_flagship_in_montreal.html) that Apple is planning a "double-decker flagship" store in Montreal, Canada. The new store will be located at 1321 Ste-Catherine Quest (location photos (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/16/apple_to_begin_work_on_montreal_flagship_this_winter_photos.html)) in Montreal's shopping district.

Just nitpicking but it's St-Catherine Ouest (as in West, not as in Quest)! ;)

zioxide
Aug 17, 2007, 09:04 AM

pfft, Apple is already building a "triple-decker" flagship store in Boston. :p

Drar3g
Aug 17, 2007, 09:17 AM
It has more to do with where the premium market is, and not growing too quickly.

Yet it seems difficult to explain why is Apple opening so many stores in the UK and not a single one in the rest of Europe. If it's about markets, why not in Germany, France or Italy? I mean even Spain has a larger economy than Australia or Canada but we won't get Apple stores anytime soon...

jeffy.dee-lux
Aug 17, 2007, 09:45 AM
News of this got mentioned on the front page header of the major english newspaper in Montreal:

http://digital.montrealgazette.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

here's a photo if the link doesn't work.

Virgil-TB2
Aug 17, 2007, 10:25 AM
I can just picture it. An iPod store on the waterfront by Vancouvers False Creek. It would be a "skate through" where you can skate in, pick an iPod, swipe the credit card then out the exit and never have to remove your inline roller skates.This would be totally cool although I have heard rumours for about six months now that they actually are planning one, but in a seriously boring brick cube on Pender street, although nothing has been officially announced.

As a Vancouver resident, this is something I have never understood about Apple's retail plans. To those not in the know about Canada, Vancouver is like Canada's version of LA and San Francisco rolled into one. Vancouver is also always either second or third most populated area in Canada. There should have been *several* stores here before there were stores in backwater burgs like London Ontario and Burlington, (no offense guys this is strictly economics/demographics).

The crap about things being "more expensive" in the West is not an argument that makes any sense. A marginally (tiny!) higher cost of living in an area is not a reason to delay doing retail, and Vancouver is loaded with millionaires, retired Hollywood actors, film industry execs, game developers and so on. Even if you go to the "bad" side of town where all the lefties live and walk into a coffee shop on commercial drive you will see almost every table has a laptop on it and most of them have glowing apples on the lid. These are the "poor" people!

The reason things are (slightly) more expensive in Vancouver is it's the most desirable place to live in Canada and it's practically choked with people with huge amounts of disposable income. Why are there Apple stores in (choke) Alabama, when this huge pool of wealthy digerati in one of the "coolest" cities in North America has not a single store? Makes no sense at all.

AlbinoPigeon
Aug 17, 2007, 10:31 AM

Appleinsider reports (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/15/source_apple_to_build_double_decker_flagship_in_montreal.html) that Apple is planning a "double-decker flagship" store in Montreal, Canada. The new store will be located at 1321 Ste-Catherine Quest (location photos (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/16/apple_to_begin_work_on_montreal_flagship_this_winter_photos.html)) in Montreal's shopping district.

I think it's "1321 Ste-Catherine Ouest" Not "Quest." 'Ouest' is french for West.

AlbinoPigeon
Aug 17, 2007, 10:41 AM
Your kidding right? Alberta is the only province who does not charge PST. Calgary (supposebly) has the largest population using broadband. Why would Calgary not be a good choice? Us out west need a store! Whatever did happen to the Calgary store? I thought it was going to open in Chinook Mall? Apple used to have job postings for it.

Now to start off, just so you know, I've never done this before. But I did want to gently let you know that 'supposebly' isn't a word. It's 'supposedly.' Go ahead and right click it and look it up in the dictionary.

I'm sorry for doing this, and I hope it doesn't piss you off. I can deal with a lot of bad grammar, hell it's just an online forum. But I'm guessing you also say it out loud when you speak, so I wanted to pass that along!

CrzyCanuck72
Aug 17, 2007, 10:42 AM
I mean even Spain has a larger economy than Australia or Canada but we won't get Apple stores anytime soon...
by two measures, Spain's GDP is lower than Canada's (but yes, higher than Australia's).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29

Supersonic
Aug 17, 2007, 10:44 AM

Errr.......there IS a leeds store, not an official Apple store admittedly.

KRCS have a store in the Merrion Centre, which predates all the UK Applestores by years. More knowledgable, real-world staff IMHO compared to the Applestore floozies

Virgil-TB2
Aug 17, 2007, 10:53 AM
I suspect most Americans don't even know where Ireland is, hence the comments about third world countries.The average American has no idea where Canada is! (this is the vastly larger country directly to the north of you for those Americans on the list) :)

I can't find the link, but I saw a video recently where Americans were asked to point out the location of Afganistan or Iraq on a map (the places they are most recently at war with). Several pointed towards Korea and India, but quite a large proportion pointed straight at Australia!

I only remember one person in the clip getting it right.

PumaGuy
Aug 17, 2007, 11:06 AM

Canada is like an old cow. The West feeds it. Ontario and Quebec milk it. And you can well imagine what it's doing in the Maritimes.

PumaGuy
Aug 17, 2007, 11:11 AM
The average American has no idea where Canada is! (this is the vastly larger country directly to the north of you for those Americans on the list) :)

I can't find the link, but I saw a video recently where Americans were asked to point out the location of Afganistan or Iraq on a map (the places they are most recently at war with). Several pointed towards Korea and India, but quite a large proportion pointed straight at Australia!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=271533227232616148&q=dumb+americans&total=205&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Drar3g
Aug 17, 2007, 11:22 AM
by two measures, Spain's GDP is lower than Canada's (but yes, higher than Australia's).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29

I was pretty sure that Spain overtook Canada as the world's eight largest economy in 2004, but then perhaps Canada has overtaken Spain again :)
Anyways, I still think we deserve at least one Apple Store... in Barcelona of course :p

Cowinacape
Aug 17, 2007, 11:26 AM

Bring on Ottawa!

(And bring on iTunes TV shows and movies, while we're at it...!)

Pfffft Ottawa :D , how about something west of Ontario now, you know, the other half of Canada?

PumaGuy
Aug 17, 2007, 11:45 AM
Pfffft Ottawa :D , how about something west of Ontario now, you know, the other half of Canada?

Hell, why not one in Nunavut? :p

Setanta
Aug 17, 2007, 01:47 PM

Or maybe not... Measured by per capita GDP (PPP adjusted), Ireland is in fact the 2nd wealthiest country in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29_per_capita

Just a point of information
:o

twoodcc
Aug 17, 2007, 04:22 PM
awesome. i hope they continue to build more apple stores everywhere

Tom B.
Aug 17, 2007, 04:41 PM

At least 10 times more than everywhere else in the UK combined. ;)

Darkroom
Aug 17, 2007, 08:01 PM

honestly... call me crazy but Halifax seems like a better place to open an apple store than: Waterloo, London, Kitchener? serious? why not suggest to open an apple store on Baffin Island... random...

News of this got mentioned on the front page header of the major english newspaper in Montreal:
http://digital.montrealgazette.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

nice! but the montreal gazette is s**trag just like le journal de montréal... :p

Top-Slacker
Aug 17, 2007, 09:11 PM
Brighton's Church Hill Square

Churchill is all one word, named after Winston Churchill I believe.

kwajo.com
Aug 17, 2007, 10:17 PM
Canada is like an old cow. The West feeds it. Ontario and Quebec milk it. And you can well imagine what it's doing in the Maritimes.

honestly... call me crazy but Halifax seems like a better place to open an apple store than: Waterloo, London, Kitchener? serious? why not suggest to open an apple store on Baffin Island... random...

What is this? Beat on the Maritimes day? What a bunch of baloney. Comparing a store in Halifax to Baffin Island? Really? I had no idea that Baffin Island was the economic centre of 2.4 million people.

Sometimes I wonder about the rest of Canada, and why we even bother to be a part of it. This is why in a recent poll 65% of Newfoundlanders wanted to hold a referendum to separate from Canada again, because we get ZERO respect about anything. Why are we so maligned? If not for us, this country wouldn't exist. And in terms of present conditions, what is so wrong with us? What more are you looking for than Atlantic Canada offers?

Lower Crime? Check.
Lower Cost of Living? Check.
Friendly People? Check.
History and Character? Check.
Beautiful Scenery? Check.
Great Night Life? Check.
Living by the Ocean? Check.
Top-level Post-Secondary Education? Check.

the list goes on and on.

Maybe you should try visiting the East Coast some time instead of holding onto out-dated ideas of dirty fishermen and potato farmers. Or did Stephen Harper & Ralph Klein brainwash you all into thinking we're all ass-backward, hopeless, defeatist people that should be dropped off the map forever without looking back?

In the real world, Halifax (or any other Atlantic Canadian city), is just as relevant a place for an Apple Store as Waterloo or Kitchener or any other generic Upper Canadian township, if not more so.

(sorry to go off on an off-topic rant there, but these sorts of things frustrate me, and we Maritimers are passionate about our home. In reality, I love all of you :p)

Jedsh03
Aug 18, 2007, 12:04 AM

I'm in the interview process for positions at the new Apple Sydney store. It started back in April/May and the final round is in the middle of September. It's all been hush hush, but we've been told that if we're selected we'll have a two month training period beginning around October 01. I'm very excited! Wish me luck!

PumaGuy
Aug 18, 2007, 01:13 AM

nice! but the montreal gazette is s**trag just like le journal de montréal... :p

i agree on the gazette part, but the journal is pretty good:)

Apple Architect
Aug 18, 2007, 05:35 AM
Ok, I am calling this one.

Given that there is a huge retail development in Shepherds Bush, West London (just on the door step of the BBC) I am expecting a small store to be included.

http://westfield.com/london/ (http://westfield.com/london/)

I know that lots of British people will moan that "its another london shop" but at the end of the day the population density can drive that number of outlets.

EVH
Aug 18, 2007, 05:59 AM
We need one in Cardiff, it is the capital of Wales!

There are 2 resellers in Cardiff, but I agree an official Apple store would be nice :)

Can't see it happening anytime soon though..

Sayhey
Aug 18, 2007, 11:10 AM
Ok, I am calling this one.

Given that there is a huge retail development in Shepherds Bush, West London (just on the door step of the BBC) I am expecting a small store to be included.

http://westfield.com/london/ (http://westfield.com/london/)

I know that lots of British people will moan that "its another london shop" but at the end of the day the population density can drive that number of outlets.

I think you've spotted a likely opening. Keep a watch for any signs of an opening, will you?

Sayhey
Aug 18, 2007, 11:33 AM
Apple has officially announced the opening of the new Buchanan Street (http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/buchananstreet/week/20070826.html) store in Glasgow, Scotland to take place Saturday, August 25th at 9:00 am. There will be T-Shirts and sweepstake prizes given out to celebrate Scotland's first.

msandersen
Aug 18, 2007, 12:52 PM
I'm in the interview process for positions at the new Apple Sydney store. It started back in April/May and the final round is in the middle of September. It's all been hush hush, but we've been told that if we're selected we'll have a two month training period beginning around October 01. I'm very excited! Wish me luck!
So it may just open in time for the Christmas rush, then? Cool.
The building is still some way from finished, only a shell for the 3 floors Apple are to occupy, but you can make out the design from the architectural drawing from AppleInsider, such as scaffolding over where the glass facade above is to be.

JoMaC1985
Aug 18, 2007, 06:44 PM
For those of us who would LOVE an Apple Store in our Nation's Capital, we should bombard the Apple Retail Store Feedback page with requests to open a store there.

I have a good friend who works at one, and that is Apple's big focus now is the feedback that customers give! What better way than to raise awareness about what a great opportunity they are missing by not having one there! :D

http://www.apple.com/retail/feedback

legacyb4
Aug 20, 2007, 08:38 AM
Yeah, positively bizarre how Apple is completely ignoring Vancouver in this regards... we suffer with the likes of Best Buy, Future Shop, and a handful of wannabe private stores that really miss the mark in showing off what Apple products are like.

zap2
Aug 20, 2007, 12:42 PM
The average American has no idea where Canada is! (this is the vastly larger country directly to the north of you for those Americans on the list) :)

:rolleyes:

I'm sure they didn't do any editing :rolleyes:

i.Feature
Aug 20, 2007, 01:04 PM
In the real world, Halifax (or any other Atlantic Canadian city), is just as relevant a place for an Apple Store as Waterloo or Kitchener or any other generic Upper Canadian township, if not more so.

While i agree with alot of your post you forget a major part of the equation. Population.

The sheer number of people in and around the markets you just mentioned dwarfs that of Halifax. Which in terms of business makes it less relevant.

Don't get me wrong i'd love to see an apple store in Halifax. But it just goes to region that there are other areas of the country where apple stands to make more money.

simontarr
Aug 20, 2007, 01:49 PM
Please, please can we have one in Norwich? We don't even have a reseller!!

Oh yes we do! I've been there. It's pretty much opposite Rose Lane car park.
I was told by Apple to go there to get my iMac fixed once. They don't have much gear in there though.

maestrokev
Aug 20, 2007, 05:46 PM
Yeah, positively bizarre how Apple is completely ignoring Vancouver in this regards... we suffer with the likes of Best Buy, Future Shop, and a handful of wannabe private stores that really miss the mark in showing off what Apple products are like.

I'd like to hear what Apple's business development dept came up with when it decided to neglect Vancouver - I believe we have the 2nd largest number of Starbucks outside Seattle.

The private stores in Vancouver (Simply Computing, Westworld, Macstation) are terrible. I used to think it was just me until I googled the stores on this forum to find others feel the same way. These stores are what's preventing Apple from growing quickly in Vancouver.

maestrokev
Aug 20, 2007, 05:51 PM
:rolleyes:

I'm sure they didn't do any editing :rolleyes:

While that may be true in that video, don't forget there's 270million people in the US and 32million in Canada, lot bigger target to pick on. I've met enough people who've never travelled in Canada and Australia or who think whizzing through another country for 2weeks makes them an expert to know it's not a US thing. Think Steve Jobs, or any other American Apple employee, is more likely to open a store in Canada after reading all this American negativity?

flopticalcube
Aug 20, 2007, 05:57 PM
While that may be true in that video, don't forget there's 270million people in the US and 32million in Canada, lot bigger target to pick on. I've met enough people who've never travelled in Canada and Australia or who think whizzing through another country for 2weeks makes them an expert to know it's not a US thing. Think Steve Jobs, or any other American Apple employee, is more likely to open a store in Canada after reading all this American negativity?

American negativity is a national pastime here. Its one way to keep your sanity as a mouse living next to an elephant. Having lived in the US, I find most Americans to be just as intelligent as any other first world nation and as an astute businessman, I doubt Steve loses any sleep over the inane babbling of a web forum.

We still need an Apple store in Vancouver.

welshy1812
Aug 20, 2007, 05:59 PM
Apple has officially announced the opening of the new Buchanan Street (http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/buchananstreet/week/20070826.html) store in Glasgow, Scotland to take place Saturday, August 25th at 9:00 am. There will be T-Shirts and sweepstake prizes given out to celebrate Scotland's first.

:D I can't wait, finally an Apple store in Glasgow. I only switched in January but I'm totally hooked.

I'll go along and hopefully get a T-shirt and hopefully some other goodies, I'll probably pick up a copy of the new iLife while I'm there too.

Marky_Mark
Aug 25, 2007, 04:48 PM
Anyone got any dates for the Solihull (UK) store opening yet?

Cheers

OllyW
Aug 25, 2007, 04:54 PM
Anyone got any dates for the Solihull (UK) store opening yet?

Cheers

Hope it's not too long.

I could do with a new T-shirt, my Bullring one is looking a bit shabby now :)

mman13
Dec 28, 2008, 06:16 PM
What is this? Beat on the Maritimes day? What a bunch of baloney. Comparing a store in Halifax to Baffin Island? Really? I had no idea that Baffin Island was the economic centre of 2.4 million people.

Sometimes I wonder about the rest of Canada, and why we even bother to be a part of it. This is why in a recent poll 65% of Newfoundlanders wanted to hold a referendum to separate from Canada again, because we get ZERO respect about anything. Why are we so maligned? If not for us, this country wouldn't exist. And in terms of present conditions, what is so wrong with us? What more are you looking for than Atlantic Canada offers?

Lower Crime? Check.
Friendly People? Check.
Great Night Life? Check.

the list goes on and on.

Maybe you should try visiting the East Coast some time instead of holding onto out-dated ideas of dirty fishermen and potato farmers. Or did Stephen Harper & Ralph Klein brainwash you all into thinking we're all ass-backward, hopeless, defeatist people that should be dropped off the map forever without looking back?

(sorry to go off on an off-topic rant there, but these sorts of things frustrate me, and we Maritimers are passionate about our home. In reality, I love all of you :p) Good lord someone makes sense. Personaly i think that we need an apple store in nova scotia because all the eastern provinces would go.
WHO THE ***** GOES TO QUEBEC?

Teddy's
Dec 28, 2008, 07:28 PM
What more are you looking for than Atlantic Canada offers?

Lower Crime? Check.
Friendly People? Check.
Great Night Life? Check.

Good lord someone makes sense. Personaly i think that we need an apple store in nova scotia because all the eastern provinces would go.
WHO THE ***** GOES TO QUEBEC?

"Possibly" related to money. Don't you think?

*cough*

Or if you prefer to go by that list... think evil.