PDA

View Full Version : Dell and their fake profits

macEfan
Aug 16, 2007, 10:34 PM
Dell to restate earnings after probe

By MATT SLAGLE, AP Technology Writer

DALLAS - Computer maker Dell Inc. said Thursday it will reduce more than four years' worth of earnings by up to $150 million after an internal probe found the company misled its auditors and manipulated results to meet performance goals.

The struggling company said its net income for the restatement period will be reduced by between $50 million and $150 million, or 2 cents to 7 cents per share.

Read the whole article below...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070817/ap_on_hi_te/dell_restatement;_ylt=ApjpDe.Qnn6QtuHJMXKi2w8jtBAF

Hmm reminds me of this famous saying that Mr. Dell said about apple in 1997...looks like it backfired on him:D

"What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders," -Michael Dell

iBookG4user
Aug 16, 2007, 10:36 PM
Just goes to show that you can't trust all the numbers that the companies provide.

ham_man
Aug 16, 2007, 10:56 PM
"What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders," -Michael Dell
At the time, that's what pretty much any businessman would do. Apple hit rock bottom in the mid/late nineties...

macEfan
Aug 17, 2007, 12:39 AM
At the time, that's what pretty much any businessman would do. Apple hit rock bottom in the mid/late nineties...

yep...clones and expensive computers almost caused apple to crumble... good thing steve came back:D

teflon
Aug 17, 2007, 03:51 AM
ROFLMAO:D:D:D

John Jacob
Aug 17, 2007, 04:26 AM

Any ORDINARY businessman. A real visionary (read Steve Jobs) would and did think differently. :p

Stampyhead
Aug 17, 2007, 12:05 PM
The struggling company...
How the heck is Dell struggling? Every PC user I know (and that's a lot of people) has a Dell, the huge Fortune 100 company I am currently contracting with has Dells as all of its workstations (including the one I'm using. Ugh). They're everywhere. How can they be having troubles?

KD7IWP
Aug 17, 2007, 01:18 PM
How has their stock not plummeted today after hearing this?

aristobrat
Aug 17, 2007, 01:35 PM
How the heck is Dell struggling? Every PC user I know (and that's a lot of people) has a Dell, the huge Fortune 100 company I am currently contracting with has Dells as all of its workstations (including the one I'm using. Ugh). They're everywhere. How can they be having troubles?
They're struggling in the sense that it was a given that they'd make the amount of profit that Wall Street expected. Now it's not such a given that they'll hit their marks.

teflon
Aug 18, 2007, 02:16 PM

They're struggling in the sense that their profit/market share has been falling for the past few years when other companies and the whole computer industry is growing. They now have more and tougher competitions, and they're not keeping up. Asian companies like Acer is stealing their lower end market, and their low-margin, high-volume strategy is starting to come back and bite them. Btw, I hardly know anyone who has a Dell. Yes, many companies have them, but for personal use, the only person I know who has a Dell is my uncle :(. Most people I know seems to like HP, Compaq, Acer, Sony and Apple :D:D.

dmw007
Aug 19, 2007, 01:51 PM
Poor Dell. :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Dagless
Aug 19, 2007, 02:35 PM
Aww, I almost feel bad about getting a replacement monitor for a single dead pixel... :D

zap2
Aug 19, 2007, 03:03 PM

nah....Apple still had $$$ left in the bank, not tons, but some.

teflon
Aug 19, 2007, 03:07 PM
Aww, I almost feel bad about getting a replacement monitor for a single dead pixel... :D

I salute you for doing so ;):p:D.

dmw007
Aug 19, 2007, 06:51 PM

Are you sure that your current one does not need replaced as well? :p ;) :D

Abstract
Aug 19, 2007, 07:28 PM
^^^Dell is lucky they shipped me the proper 20" Widescreen LCD that I ordered. I paid more money for the better model, but if they didn't give me an S-IPS model, I would have kept returning it until they did. ;) More than 2 dead pixels would also mean more returns.

Adokimus
Aug 19, 2007, 09:39 PM
...keep in mind that Microsoft's investment in Apple had just as much to do with its resurrection as did Steve Job's management skills.

I personally love my Dell, and all you have to do is look to the "post your mac setup" thread to see that they offer a quality monitor at a FAR better price than the ACD. Though I have my issues with Dell, and their accounting fraud is bull, I really hope they pull out of this. On the upside, they're listening to their customers more than ever... they even offer Ubuntu.

Dagless
Aug 19, 2007, 09:55 PM
^ That much is true.
It's like how Apple looks to an Anti-Mac person. The iPod is cool but the Mac is rubbish (http://JimmiLeRock.deviantart.com/art/iRony-15867689).
Dell monitors are snazzy but don't you dare give me anything else.

zap2
Aug 19, 2007, 10:05 PM
...keep in mind that Microsoft's investment in Apple had just as much to do with its resurrection as did Steve Job's management skills.

Nope

At the time Apple had a little over US$1 billion in cash and cash equivalents according to their 10-Q statement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc.
http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/fetchFilingFrameset.aspx?FilingID=251804&Type=HTML

Apple wasn't in good shape, they had been losing $$ since 1993, but the iMac G3 was to come out next year, and Apple would start to make money again soon. They could have survived with out the 150M from MS.

Office was a much bigger deal, seeing how MS is still making Office for Mac OS.

Adokimus
Aug 19, 2007, 11:18 PM
..."investments" doesn't just mean monetary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxOp5mBY9IY

Unlikely savior, but life's full of pleasant surprises.