PDA

View Full Version : EA Delays Release Of Mac Port Of Madden 08

MacRumors
Aug 17, 2007, 10:32 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

EA is receiving rising criticism around the Mac web for not delivering on a bold promise (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/11/wwdc-game-on/) made at this year's WWDC to simultaneously release Mac versions of popular game titles, such as the recently released Madden '08.

In speaking to AppleInsider, an EA spokesperson pegged the delay (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/16/ea_backtracking_on_claims_of_simultaneous_mac_game_releases.html) on the company's inexperience developing for the platform.

EA's 4 previous titles (Battlefield 2142, Command and Conquer 3, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and Need for Speed Carbon) are currently available via the Apple Store, although all have a shipping delay.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/17/ea-delays-release-of-mac-port-of-madden-08/)

AHDuke99
Aug 17, 2007, 10:49 AM
surprise.. Mac sales won't bring much for ea so thy aren't going pull out all the stops to get that out soon

rs76
Aug 17, 2007, 10:56 AM
A slap in the face of Apple and all those that want to play games on the Mac. Does anyone really believe that if Apple built computers with better game performance things would improve?

Time for that game console?

hob
Aug 17, 2007, 10:58 AM
About time there was some news....

I emailed Steve Jobs this morning... (no, really!)

There's another thread on this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=333707

merge?

Stella
Aug 17, 2007, 11:01 AM
Could it also be lackluster graphic cards in the iMac, MacBook etc?

Hardly gives EA encouragement that people will play games on their Macs when the graphics card is lacking..

techlover828
Aug 17, 2007, 11:04 AM
that sucks, i wanted to get that game

longofest
Aug 17, 2007, 11:06 AM
About time there was some news....

I emailed Steve Jobs this morning... (no, really!)

There's another thread on this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=333707

merge?

no merge.. that is on C&C 3. This is more regarding Madden.

LaDirection
Aug 17, 2007, 11:24 AM
insidemacgames:"In speaking to AppleInsider, the spokesperson nonetheless claimed that four ports of previously released titles -- Battlefield 2142, Command and Conquer 3, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and Need for Speed Carbon -- were already available in stores. As of press time, however, EA was unable to provide the name of a single store at which customers could purchase any of the titles.

A brief survey by AppleInsider of Apple's stores, as well as Amazon and several other leading online retailers, revealed that none had the games in stock while only a few outlets were offering pre-orders. Some online retailers known to carry Mac software, including Amazon, made no mention of the Mac version whatsoever while listing available copies for Windows and several video game consoles."

bigmc6000
Aug 17, 2007, 11:32 AM
Football games on PC suck anyway - if I want to play Madden (and while we're at it WHY can't they put NCAA '08 on PC/Mac/Wii? It's the same freakin' company and the NCAA football games have been shown to be in the top 5 sellers every single year!!) I'll just go buy an XBox or PS3. Having the controller in games like this makes all the difference in the world. Having to be stuck with up-down-left-right or moving your guy around just isn't the same as using your thumb.

That being said there are some games that should have NEVER been ported to the PS/XBox - one that comes to mind is the Sims. way way too many things in that game that scream USE A MOUSE...

miketcool
Aug 17, 2007, 11:36 AM
Football games on PC suck anyway - if I want to play Madden (and while we're at it WHY can't they put NCAA '08 on PC/Mac/Wii? It's the same freakin' company and the NCAA football games have been shown to be in the top 5 sellers every single year!!) I'll just go buy an XBox or PS3. Having the controller in games like this makes all the difference in the world. Having to be stuck with up-down-left-right or moving your guy around just isn't the same as using your thumb.

That being said there are some games that should have NEVER been ported to the PS/XBox - one that comes to mind is the Sims. way way too many things in that game that scream USE A MOUSE...

I agree, without any 3rd party game controllers, the PC is a lusy gaming device. I wish someone would figure out how to play video games on the computer!:mad:

KingofAwesome
Aug 17, 2007, 11:40 AM
insidemacgames:"In speaking to AppleInsider, the spokesperson nonetheless claimed that four ports of previously released titles -- Battlefield 2142, Command and Conquer 3, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and Need for Speed Carbon -- were already available in stores. As of press time, however, EA was unable to provide the name of a single store at which customers could purchase any of the titles.

A brief survey by AppleInsider of Apple's stores, as well as Amazon and several other leading online retailers, revealed that none had the games in stock while only a few outlets were offering pre-orders. Some online retailers known to carry Mac software, including Amazon, made no mention of the Mac version whatsoever while listing available copies for Windows and several video game consoles."

All these games are currently available in a number of stores.

What number is that?

Zero! Zero is a number! :rolleyes:

iBunny
Aug 17, 2007, 01:01 PM
While this sucks... look at the upside(s)

1) at least they are trying

2) They are waiting to put out a quality product, vice a premature buggy launch.

overcast
Aug 17, 2007, 01:12 PM

2) They are waiting to put out a quality product, vice a premature buggy launch.

Yeh you keep thinking happy thoughts.

SDAVE
Aug 17, 2007, 01:20 PM
I agree, without any 3rd party game controllers, the PC is a lusy gaming device. I wish someone would figure out how to play video games on the computer!:mad:

PC is a great device for first person shooters. I could never play FPS with a PS3 or XBOX360.

Not a huge gamer, though.

Keebler
Aug 17, 2007, 01:22 PM

guys.. i don't get it. are you both serious or just lacking knowledge? Logitech makes a few variations to play on the PC.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/gamepads/&cl=ca,en

I haven't seen anyone use a keyboard due to a lack of a good game controller since the 1st days of a pc...

i'm logging off to play a game right now :)

bigmc6000
Aug 17, 2007, 01:37 PM
guys.. i don't get it. are you both serious or just lacking knowledge? Logitech makes a few variations to play on the PC.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/gamepads/&cl=ca,en

I haven't seen anyone use a keyboard due to a lack of a good game controller since the 1st days of a pc...

i'm logging off to play a game right now :)

Sure but some of the reason in having a game controller is not having to sit that close to a screen but if you're doing it on a computer chances are you aren't sitting at a 23"+ monitor (mind you I said chances are - I know some of you guys have those monsters) I just don't like playing football (and sports games in general) on a PC, I like sitting on my couch with a big screen and monstrous surround sound :) I agree with the earlier post tho - first person shooters are definitely a PC genre - that's another one of those types of games that just scream for the accuracy and flexibility of using a mouse...

njfuzzy
Aug 17, 2007, 02:19 PM

3) Not having to play another crappy Madden game

MikeCheck
Aug 17, 2007, 03:05 PM

EA and quality? if we are waiting for them to put out a quality product we might as well just give up all hope of anything becoming of EA games on the mac

i still have nightmares of 2142's 1.25 patch with the losing key packets and randomly dying from a fall when i am running on the ground :p

Keebler
Aug 17, 2007, 03:08 PM
Sure but some of the reason in having a game controller is not having to sit that close to a screen but if you're doing it on a computer chances are you aren't sitting at a 23"+ monitor (mind you I said chances are - I know some of you guys have those monsters) I just don't like playing football (and sports games in general) on a PC, I like sitting on my couch with a big screen and monstrous surround sound :) I agree with the earlier post tho - first person shooters are definitely a PC genre - that's another one of those types of games that just scream for the accuracy and flexibility of using a mouse...

good points. I just wanted to make sure you knew they existed b/c as silly as it sounds, some might not :)

I agree with the tv and surround. i've got 2 kids, i'm the stay at home dad, but there's no way in hell i'm getting a console b/c i would be one crappy dad :) lol i wouldn't get anything done! lol i'd be there non-stop. heck, i'd prolly get divorced.

So, this is why i stick to my pc gaming b/c the only time i really play is when i'm waiting for my macs to finish a project or render something :) and i'm still on madden '05 b/c my peecee is older.

Cheers,
keebler

mozmac
Aug 17, 2007, 03:18 PM
As if EA doesn't have enough resources to solve this problem! If they were a small studio, I'd understand, but they have plenty of money to throw bodies at the problem so they can live up to their "bold promise"

ATG
Aug 17, 2007, 03:20 PM
UT3 is the only game I'm getting for my iMac. EA sucks

pcorajr
Aug 17, 2007, 03:24 PM
I hope we are not setting our selfs up for disappointment. First with the delays and the empty promises next with how low quality they games might be.

I really hope that apples choice of hardware does not turn down developers.

twoodcc
Aug 17, 2007, 04:24 PM
man, i really wanted to get Madden for Mac. i guess i'll have to get it for my 360 i guess

freediverdude
Aug 17, 2007, 04:39 PM
Hello??? Mac? Gaming? What's wrong with this picture. Move on......

Foxglove9
Aug 17, 2007, 05:31 PM
Hello??? Mac? Gaming? What's wrong with this picture. Move on......

Exactly. This news story does not surprise me at all.

thejadedmonkey
Aug 17, 2007, 05:36 PM

Exactly. This news story does not surprise me at all.

I want Battlefield 2142!:mad::mad:

Irishman
Aug 17, 2007, 05:52 PM
And now, once again, EA has raped my childhood!

scotty588
Aug 17, 2007, 07:45 PM
Redwood Shores, Calif., – August 17, 2007 – Electronic Arts Inc., (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced that Battlefield 2142™, Need for Speed™ Carbon, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix™ and Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars™ are now available to order for Mac users. These are the first games ever published by EA for Mac OS X, Apple’s advanced operating system. Users can go to the Apple Store (www.apple.com) to purchase the games today.

All games will also be available at Apple's retail stores nationwide. Need for Speed Carbon and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will be available on Tuesday, August 21, and Battlefield 2142 and Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars will be available on Tuesday, August 28.
http://www.info.ea.com/news/pr/pr981.pdf

Wild-Bill
Aug 17, 2007, 08:01 PM
"In speaking to AppleInsider, an EA spokesperson pegged the delay on the fact that Apple chose to outfit its computers with the worst graphics possible and they needed to figure out a way to make the games run on the substandard hardware."

thejadedmonkey
Aug 18, 2007, 12:44 AM
"In speaking to AppleInsider, an EA spokesperson pegged the delay on the fact that Apple chose to outfit its computers with the worst graphics possible and they needed to figure out a way to make the games run on the substandard hardware."

Where'd that come from?:confused:

AJsAWiz
Aug 18, 2007, 10:42 AM
man, i really wanted to get Madden for Mac. i guess i'll have to get it for my 360 i guess

I'm not so sure I'd like to play Madden on my Mac. Right now I'm playing Madden 2008 on my PS 3 :rolleyes:

ViperDesign
Aug 18, 2007, 11:31 AM
I'm not so sure I'd like to play Madden on my Mac. Right now I'm playing Madden 2008 on my PS 3 :rolleyes:

I play in leagues with madden on the pc. I wonder as I posted in the other thread if you will be able to play pc users with the mac version! If so I will never have to dual boot into windows again! And that would be just perfect with me!

AJsAWiz
Aug 18, 2007, 01:01 PM
I play in leagues with madden on the pc. I wonder as I posted in the other thread if you will be able to play pc users with the mac version! If so I will never have to dual boot into windows again! And that would be just perfect with me!

Now that's a good question. And one that I don't have an answer to :confused:
I'm guessing that you can but that's just a guess for whatever it's worth.

ViperDesign
Aug 18, 2007, 01:19 PM
Now that's a good question. And one that I don't have an answer to :confused:
I'm guessing that you can but that's just a guess for whatever it's worth.

Maybe someone from the higher ups here can find out if that is going to be possible...

iSee
Aug 20, 2007, 01:35 PM
FYI, ignore this "analysis" by the AI writer:

The difficulties may stem from the publisher's use of TransGaming's Cider technology, which interprets Windows commands in real-time and is said to provide similar speed on Macs compared to native code. Before a Mac port can be released, the method requires that the Windows version already have been finished to ensure a consistent code base between the two versions; this simplifies the conversion process, but adds to the overall development time.

EA's theoretically quicker but potentially delay-prone approach to producing Mac-native games contrasts sharply with smaller but more focused development houses such as Epic Games and id Software, which have promised to write completely native code for upcoming games such as Rage that can be tested independently from other versions and is not held to any specific release schedule.

They might want to consult an actual software developer before making up a bunch of crud like this.

Xenious
Aug 20, 2007, 01:44 PM
They should take a hint from Blizzard and do dual platform releases. Then we would get the added benefit of cheaper titles once they age. Let the PC release burden the cost of cross platform development so we benefit.

Pressure
Aug 20, 2007, 01:52 PM
They should take a hint from Blizzard and do dual platform releases. Then we would get the added benefit of cheaper titles once they age. Let the PC release burden the cost of cross platform development so we benefit.

Indeed, Blizzard is doing what everyone else should be doing as well.

MagnusVonMagnum
Aug 27, 2007, 11:36 PM

I'm not sure what you're suggesting when you preclude the use of a joystick on a PC (or Mac). Of course many types of games suck without a joystick. But what is so hard about buying one for a PC/Mac? I picked up a Logitech Dual-Action USB stick (looks similar to a Playstation Dual Shock) for $20 at Best Buy. It works great on both my PC and Mac. It just seems to me that people who complain that computers suck for games BECAUSE they don't come with a joystick should just go out and buy a joystick for their computer! Bingo! It can be exactly like a console. Back in my Amiga days, the thought of NOT having a joystick for it was unthinkable.

I was amazed that people usually do NOT use joysticks with first person shooters on PCs (until I actually tried it and found how nice a mouse can be for aiming). Some games like No One Lives Forever (at least on the PC) had broken joystick support (they told me no one uses it anyway when I complained). But 7-12 years ago, maybe they had an excuse. Today, all PCs and Macs have USB ports and there's a plethora of gamepads, joysticks, flightsticks, etc. out there to choose from. You can even get adapters to use Playstation or XBox pads on your computer. I've even seen USB adapters for Atari 2600 joysticks (also works with C64/Amiga style joysticks).

Frankly, something like XBox should have PC drivers to run their games in an XBox virtual mode, maybe for a small price like $50. It's more or less the same hardware (only computers tend to be way ahead of consoles in horsepower).

bousozoku
Aug 28, 2007, 12:02 AM
They might want to consult an actual software developer before making up a bunch of crud like this.

Sure, Epic tries, but they're using SDL in-between any recent Mac titles and id software has handed off their work to Raven Software, even on Windows and to Aspyr on Macs.

I doubt seriously Cider will run at native speeds since it has to translate each Direct3D call to the appropriate OpenGL call(s). It's like all those libraries that already ran on Mac OS X that worked okay but didn't work particularly quickly.

tny
Aug 28, 2007, 02:48 PM
Where'd that come from?:confused:

My guess would be that it's satire (as in no, EA didn't actually say that; they might have thought it, however).