PDA

View Full Version : New iPod Nano Colors?

MacRumors
Aug 18, 2007, 09:26 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

9to5mac.com (http://www.9to5mac.com/ipod-nano-colors-3425232) reports further on upcoming iPod Nano case redesigns and colors.

The reinforce that the new iPod Nanos will come in shorter form factors but also reveal what they believe the final colors will be of the shipping iPod Nanos. The colors include Black, Silver, Cranberry/Wine Red, Lighter Blue, and Light Green.

The colors are even depicted (http://www.9to5mac.com/ipod-nano-colors-2940503) by the site and reproduced below.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/black.png

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/grey.png

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/red.png

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/blue.png

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/green.png

9to5mac is a relative newcomer but has previously (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/08/rumor-wrapup-imac-keyboard-iwork-ilife-ipod-details/) had some accurate reports. Whether this can carry over to iPod related rumors will be seen in the coming months when Apple refreshes their overdue (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod) iPod lineup.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/18/new-ipod-nano-colors/)

mongoos150
Aug 18, 2007, 09:28 PM
I love it! The colors look quite hip. Very muted quite Soho-esque (if that makes sense to people who pay attention to the color pallet of the district), even classic.

tvguru
Aug 18, 2007, 09:29 PM
What no brown?! :eek:

DavisCollins
Aug 18, 2007, 09:30 PM
ew

too feminine.

flopticalcube
Aug 18, 2007, 09:31 PM
ew

too feminine.

Well, it is a nano. ;)

amac4me
Aug 18, 2007, 09:31 PM
An interesting choice of colors ... if the report is accurate.

Mistershark
Aug 18, 2007, 09:37 PM
Better than Zune colors.

Those look great.

Muzzway
Aug 18, 2007, 09:38 PM
Umm, not sure if I like them too much.

I also hope the new nano won't look like the picture they posted.

Viddrumr32
Aug 18, 2007, 09:42 PM
I'm still having trouble accepting that Apple would drastically change the form factor of the nano that much. I know it was somewhat a big step from the mini to the nano but that change made sense. I don't understand at all why apple would make the nano bigger. Who knows? Maybe the change will be more acceptable when apple has put their touch on the form factor and it might even be appealing. Or 9to5mac could be full of crap on this one and Apple is allowing this false release of information to trick us into thinking its real because they let the info on the new macs stay on the internet too. I just want the full screen ipod released soon... Dang it, now I'm not gonna have any money after i buy a 360 and halo 3 the same week. :mad:

puckhead193
Aug 18, 2007, 09:42 PM
no thanks i'll stick with my current nano :D

Mac-Addict
Aug 18, 2007, 09:43 PM
So different shades of colours we already have..

...Seriously?

siurpeeman
Aug 18, 2007, 09:50 PM
where's the orange? :confused:

Mac One
Aug 18, 2007, 09:54 PM
I like the current form of the nano and don't like the idea that it will be changed. I would also hope that if they change the colour set they would at least include the old set too. The new colours look to watered down - I much prefer the intensity and brightness of the current ones. Maybe there will be a common colour that these options will complement?

offwidafairies
Aug 18, 2007, 09:54 PM
hey i really like these colours!
but then, i AM a chick
the wine colour is noice ;)

QuarterSwede
Aug 18, 2007, 09:56 PM
ew

too feminine.
Actually, the red is more masculine and reflects today's color choices.

kymac
Aug 18, 2007, 09:57 PM
hmmm is that dark grey or black? dark grey would be right up my alley [:

edit: oh the link says its black ]:

verniesgarden
Aug 18, 2007, 09:58 PM

I'm with you i love the orange that the shuffle is in

twoodcc
Aug 18, 2007, 10:01 PM
well i hope that they are right. we'll see

Schnebar
Aug 18, 2007, 10:02 PM
ew

too feminine.

Well, it is a nano. ;)

I get iPod, he get Ipod mini. But everybody know it's for girls. Great success!

I like them but would still like an orange one to go with my shuffle.

But I would want a real iPod anyway so I just hope that comes in Orange or some new cool color.

vicious7
Aug 18, 2007, 10:05 PM
Very, um, Miami Vice...

Football1maniac
Aug 18, 2007, 10:06 PM
The new iPod Nano will not have video in it. If you want video, you have to upgrade, that was the whole point of the actualy iPod Nano. A cheap, affordable, little player that has the charm of it's big brother, but smaller, much smaller. With video added in, the Nano will take a chunk out of the real iPod, but if Apple releases a touch-screen iPod, then it takes a chunk out of the iPhone's market. It's a chain, mind as well stay where you are.

God Bless Steve Jobs:apple:

fivetoadsloth
Aug 18, 2007, 10:11 PM
Hm, I like the colors but I also really like the current ones, especially th shuffles orange.

age234
Aug 18, 2007, 10:11 PM
ew

too feminine.

Yeah. I wouldn't get one. Maybe the black, but not the others.

An orange shuffle-colored one would be great, though. I have one, it's great :D

grafikat
Aug 18, 2007, 10:15 PM
I am so ready for a nice green! (the wine is very nice too!)

Analog Kid
Aug 18, 2007, 10:17 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say the wine color will lead the pack.

The blue might work as party favors at a baby shower...

Wayfarer
Aug 18, 2007, 10:22 PM
Let's not get so worked up over a rumor. I won't say a word until I see an official product.

blumoon
Aug 18, 2007, 10:24 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say the wine color will lead the pack.

The blue might work as party favors at a baby shower...

I don't like the new colors and prefer the more bold colors. I am looking forward to an update though. Hmmm....

mrkramer
Aug 18, 2007, 10:25 PM
I don't mind the colors, but I really hope that the form factor does not change, especially to their picture. I am worried that it might, since they previously were reliable, and Apple has taken a step back in design with other recent products-I'm reffering to the glossy screen on the iMac.

syklee26
Aug 18, 2007, 10:35 PM
is it just me or some of you guys like that wine color?

nemaslov
Aug 18, 2007, 10:38 PM
Very Modern colors Yes I agree!

Analog Kid
Aug 18, 2007, 10:42 PM
Let's not get so worked up over a rumor. I won't say a word until I see an official product.
But this rumor has color swatches!

synth3tik
Aug 18, 2007, 10:44 PM
At least there is not that horrible orange in there like on the shuffles, don't get me wrong. I love orange, but for that reason I am glad that gross orange is not included.

jettredmont
Aug 18, 2007, 10:48 PM
So different shades of colours we already have..

...Seriously?

I know. I mean, all they adjusted for these colors was the hue, saturation, and luminosity. Where's the originality? I mean, come on! Couldn't they have invented some all new colors that no one has seen or even thought of before?

PumaGuy
Aug 18, 2007, 10:48 PM
If I were a girl i'd love the wine color, but seeing that I am a guy, it's not for me:p

But hey, maybe those colors were meant for the female market, more people in the world are women, so, who knows:o

The colors really for me would be the black and silver, non other.

Puma

rockthecasbah
Aug 18, 2007, 10:55 PM
I like these colors by themselves but as a Nano? They lack energy! I thought the marketing Apple was trying for with the Nano was youthful and easy to take on the go... These colors make me think "Sophistication" (which isn't necessarily bad, it just seems out of place on the Nano/Mini which has always had that youthful spunk.

Oh well, it's an iPod and it will sell like hot cakes regardless :p

dlastmango
Aug 18, 2007, 10:57 PM
Why would apple go BACK to the glossy plastic finish of the old nano (and current iPod) as depicted in the articles photo? I think the nano fills a great niche of people who use their iPods for activities like running or cycling... The aluminum is great, that it doesnt scratch and the fact it is solid state memory it doesnt skip. I dont see Apple taking a step back to the plastic casing that scratches soo easily.
I think tha nano is a great design and will stay the way it is now. Maybe different colors and for sure larger storage capacities.

Chris

Zwhaler
Aug 18, 2007, 11:02 PM
ew

too feminine.

Agreed! The red blue and greed and way too girly for me. Maybe the black or silver, but who knows what the actual nanos will turn out like.

DoFoT9
Aug 18, 2007, 11:17 PM
im not too big on colours..
but those look half decent. nice too see appppple constantly making changes. *hinthint*

Shotgun OS
Aug 18, 2007, 11:27 PM
Why would apple go BACK to the glossy plastic finish of the old nano (and current iPod) as depicted in the articles photo? I think the nano fills a great niche of people who use their iPods for activities like running or cycling... The aluminum is great, that it doesnt scratch and the fact it is solid state memory it doesnt skip. I dont see Apple taking a step back to the plastic casing that scratches soo easily.
I think tha nano is a great design and will stay the way it is now. Maybe different colors and for sure larger storage capacities.

Chris

I think the people who did the mockup were lazy, and just wanted to get the point across; the Nano will be in a smaller form factor.
I think they meant to be like this, which doesnt necessarily look bad..

For my take on the colors; I'd buy one, specifically the wine-red colored one.

verniesgarden
Aug 18, 2007, 11:30 PM
The new iPod Nano will not have video in it. If you want video, you have to upgrade, that was the whole point of the actualy iPod Nano. A cheap, affordable, little player that has the charm of it's big brother, but smaller, much smaller. With video added in, the Nano will take a chunk out of the real iPod, but if Apple releases a touch-screen iPod, then it takes a chunk out of the iPhone's market. It's a chain, mind as well stay where you are.

the nano already out sells the video ipod

SeaFox
Aug 18, 2007, 11:36 PM
I know. I mean, all they adjusted for these colors was the hue, saturation, and luminosity. Where's the originality? I mean, come on! Couldn't they have invented some all new colors that no one has seen or even thought of before?

Hue Saturation and Luminosity are the only things that make up a color. :rolleyes:
To have done something "original" would mean using a color that doesn't even exist.

Thataboy
Aug 18, 2007, 11:42 PM
Uhhh those colors aren't feminine at all. I'd actually go as far as saying they are too masculine. Pale does not equal girly.

I would include the shuffle orange color (a big success in my opinion), and maybe a lavender for a more feminine choice.

Darkroom
Aug 18, 2007, 11:43 PM
If I were a girl i'd love the wine color, but seeing that I am a guy, it's not for me:p

But hey, maybe those colors were meant for the female market, more people in the world are women, so, who knows:o

The colors really for me would be the black and silver, non other.

Puma

listen up everyone... blue isn't always necessarily for boys, and pink isn't always necessarily for girls... it's a color, not a penis or a vagina...

besides, i read some stats a while ago that stated that more girls owned iPods than boys, so these new (apparently feminine) colors make sense...

BKKbill
Aug 18, 2007, 11:51 PM

I don't know for sure but it looks to me like 20 words and 73 characters not counting spaces of course. :p

zap2
Aug 18, 2007, 11:58 PM
No orange?

I like the current colors...green could be stronger though

bdj21ya
Aug 19, 2007, 12:08 AM
Hue Saturation and Luminosity are the only things that make up a color. :rolleyes:
To have done something "original" would mean using a color that doesn't even exist.

If you're going for some kind of bizarre multi-layered sarcasm, stop, you've gone too far. However, if the real problem is that you missed the sarcasm altogether, please make a bit more of an effort to read the tone.

AppleMatt389
Aug 19, 2007, 12:09 AM
i dont get u guys..as if u like these colours..they are grosssss. i really dislike them.

i clicked on the comments expecting to see hate comments about these colours. as if im alone on this one. :(

hatcher146
Aug 19, 2007, 12:10 AM
what about the iPod i cant wait for those!

thejakill
Aug 19, 2007, 12:55 AM
I want a black shuffle.

codo
Aug 19, 2007, 01:11 AM
listen up everyone... blue isn't always necessarily for boys, and pink isn't always necessarily for girls... it's a color, not a penis or a vagina...

besides, i read some stats a while ago that stated that more girls owned iPods than boys, so these new (apparently feminine) colors make sense...

Here here! I'm a guy and dig them all anyway, very modern, and frankly, less cheap looking colours.

CBAviator
Aug 19, 2007, 01:19 AM
Can't say I'm a huge fan of the colors.

But oh well, I just got my (product)RED iPod the other day. Works well and stands out among others too!

phillipjfry
Aug 19, 2007, 01:24 AM
I'm with you i love the orange that the shuffle is in

I'd buy it. I like the shuffle colors, but the nano sizes. I hope that someone from Apple reads this thread. :)

pattern
Aug 19, 2007, 01:51 AM
Love the new colors. I have a feeling this rumour is accurate!

Pants Dragon
Aug 19, 2007, 02:01 AM
I demand orange!:mad:

kymac
Aug 19, 2007, 02:14 AM
i decided to see what the colors would look like on the current nanos, and i dont think im a fan ]: esp. the blue. oh well.

Schtumple
Aug 19, 2007, 02:27 AM
i decided to see what the colors would look like on the current nanos, and i dont think im a fan ]: esp. the blue. oh well.

tbh, when i looked at those colours, i thought blurgh, but after looking at that photoshop, although not incredibly accurate, it reminds me of the minis (colour wise), unsure if thats a good thing, i really liked the blue and green on the currant nanos though.

queshy
Aug 19, 2007, 02:41 AM
I hope with the new color changes that they make it thinner. it's too darn thick to be portable :D lol

chevitron
Aug 19, 2007, 02:55 AM
Ok, I haven't read ALL the posts, but this is my guess, the new iPod nano will be of a similar form factor as the current (maybe very slightly wider), but with wide-screen and scroll-wheel (no touch-controls for the nano). This is my GIMP'ed rendition.

Think this way, the actual nano has a lot of real estate wasted, so, a) in order to boost video sales throug iTunes, and b) take advantage of a successful form-factor, just enlarge the screen to watch video (turned 90 degrees).

The "new" shuffle will be much more alike the actual nano, but slightly smaller, that is, with a small screen and no video.

Colors, except for the wine (product(RED) is beautiful), look washed out, I prefer the current vivid ones.

alexeismertin
Aug 19, 2007, 02:57 AM
Everytime Apple is about to update a product the expectation is so high & Apple rarely delivers (wifi/bt/touchscreens and the like), the money is on slight shape change, slight colour change & slight capacity change. Get the gist? Think Slight.

(PS although it would be nice to see the grey replaced by a putty colour & the black for carbon)

(fyi - the original article mentions the screen will take up 50% of new ipods)

propropro
Aug 19, 2007, 03:16 AM
I think the new colors are beautiful and elegant... as if they were the colors for a new video ipod, not nano... let's wait and see ;)

QFace
Aug 19, 2007, 03:36 AM
Anybody think we'll see an increase in storage capacity to the nano line? 20 gigs would be beautiful (although exceptionally unlikely)

atsang
Aug 19, 2007, 04:00 AM
i read some stats a while ago that stated that more girls owned iPods than boys

i totally read that sentence like you were saying that some girls own boys instead of ipods.:p

Dagless
Aug 19, 2007, 04:29 AM
At least there is not that horrible orange in there like on the shuffles, don't get me wrong. I love orange, but for that reason I am glad that gross orange is not included.

I'm crossing you off my christmas card list.

tominated
Aug 19, 2007, 04:58 AM
wow. very nice shades indeed!

aswitcher
Aug 19, 2007, 04:58 AM
I would be pretty happy if they built in that Nike transmitter to save some space (Shame its not bluetooth) and add some other functionality.

fastbite
Aug 19, 2007, 06:06 AM
Very classic colors, less juvenile that the current ones.

stormdrums
Aug 19, 2007, 06:35 AM
i don't like the colors too much (product:red would be cool), but i think the colors could be true, because in munich many young girls dress compatible to that color scheme :)

koobcamuk
Aug 19, 2007, 06:43 AM

Apart from the iPod is no way out of date, you have a point. Things will change.

toughboy
Aug 19, 2007, 06:57 AM
oh god, Apple please dont drop Join Red Special Edition iPod nano.. :eek:

bananas
Aug 19, 2007, 07:10 AM
I think the people who did the mockup were lazy, and just wanted to get the point across; the Nano will be in a smaller form factor.
I think they meant to be like this, which doesnt necessarily look bad..

For my take on the colors; I'd buy one, specifically the wine-red colored one.

your version really looks better. the one 9to5 has looks kind of outdated, maybe it's the white color.

jvencius
Aug 19, 2007, 07:32 AM

That's what I was thinking--it would make sense to me if you could get a Shuffle and a Nano in the same orange shade.

psychofreak
Aug 19, 2007, 07:37 AM
Anybody think we'll see an increase in storage capacity to the nano line? 20 gigs would be beautiful (although exceptionally unlikely)

It would have to be a power of two, as in 16GB, not 20GB :)

Hairball
Aug 19, 2007, 07:55 AM

Same question for me. I was hoping that orange would be one of the new colors for the Nano.

BoyBach
Aug 19, 2007, 08:04 AM
I think the wine colour would look great. Very sophisticated!

:D

trevorlsciact
Aug 19, 2007, 08:28 AM
But this rumor has color swatches!

So... we are all gay then? :confused::rolleyes:;)

williedigital
Aug 19, 2007, 08:35 AM
Ok, I haven't read ALL the posts, but this is my guess, the new iPod nano will be of a similar form factor as the current (maybe very slightly wider), but with wide-screen and scroll-wheel (no touch-controls for the nano). This is my GIMP'ed rendition.

Think this way, the actual nano has a lot of real estate wasted, so, a) in order to boost video sales throug iTunes, and b) take advantage of a successful form-factor, just enlarge the screen to watch video (turned 90 degrees).

But wouldn't a screen that big break all the time if it didn't have a glass overlay like the iphone? And the nano's form factor doesn't allow for that. Also, what would a screen that bit do to the nano's battery life?

Mac Fly (film)
Aug 19, 2007, 09:13 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1236/1020148556_95638b08d6_o.png

Touch-screen. No click wheel. 2.5" screen. Does video. All video is viewable in landscape mode. New features like calculator. Comes with headset in-line remote for pocket usage. Similar UI to existing nano UI. Internal accelerometer for sensing rotation between portrait and landscape modes, for photo displaying, and possibly clover flow. 4GB & 8GB versions.

Jovian9
Aug 19, 2007, 09:27 AM

Exactly! I love the orange shuffles.....we need an orange nano or full size iPod :)

Wayfarer
Aug 19, 2007, 09:27 AM

I think those colors look very... FRESH! :D

M!K
Aug 19, 2007, 09:28 AM

i was thinking the same thing! But i really hope for a touch-screen iPod! Also i really hate the new Nano colors. As someone said, they're not bright (happy colors) as the actual Nanos, which are great.

Wayfarer
Aug 19, 2007, 09:34 AM
I wouldn't mind having a touch-screen nano, but I think that functionality is reserved for the regular iPod...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1236/1020148556_95638b08d6_o.png

AND below, that in the world is this... MONSTROSITY? Zune nano, anyone? :confused:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82766&d=1187510120

On the other hand...

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82759&stc=1&d=1187497594

I could see Apple taking this direction. This actually doesn't look half-bad. Very appealing, pocketable and bite-sized. And you thought the nano couldn't get any smaller... :rolleyes:

i0Nic
Aug 19, 2007, 10:04 AM
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82759&stc=1&d=1187497594

This is what we'll get, but perhaps with slightly bigger gaps around the click wheel on the top/bottom.

New nano will be a current gen nano, with the little gaps on the top and bottom of the nano removed and new colours. Possibly a slightly bigger screen and wider body than the current gen. 4gb and 8gb versions, and a price drop.

iPod will simply be a bigger version of the new nano, with a widescreen aspect ratio and slightly wider body. No touchscreen (wait for gen7), but new operating system

propropro
Aug 19, 2007, 10:11 AM
This is what we'll get, but perhaps with slightly bigger gaps around the click wheel on the top/bottom.

New nano will be a current gen nano, with the little gaps on the top and bottom of the nano removed and new colours. Possibly a slightly bigger screen and wider body than the current gen. 4gb and 8gb versions, and a price drop.

iPod will simply be a bigger version of the new nano, with a widescreen aspect ratio and slightly wider body. No touchscreen (wait for gen7), but new operating system

it means the new video iPod will have the same screen ratio to not be really really fat... that's not very cool :(

SactoGuy18
Aug 19, 2007, 10:13 AM
I still think Apple will keep the current 2G nano, but drop the 2 GB model, make the 4 GB model a new low end model with possibly silver case as the only color, make the 8 GB model the "mainstream" model with up to ten different color case designs (including the new "wine" and orange colors), and offer a new 16 GB model in black and red only.

We'll see a new "intermediate" model that looks like a cross between the nano and a reduced size video iPod with 8 and 16 GB of flash memory that can play videos in the same format now used for the 5.5G iPod. This new model will come in case colors described by the 9to5mac.com article. Don't be surprised if Apple calls this new model the iPod nano video.

banaat
Aug 19, 2007, 10:21 AM
My take
http://trifectafoto.com/nano.jpg

Caitlyn
Aug 19, 2007, 10:23 AM
If the colors are deep like the current ones, then sure, I won't mind the change. But if they are dull like the original iPod Mini colors, that will just be cheap looking.

Virgil-TB2
Aug 19, 2007, 10:32 AM
I'm still having trouble accepting that Apple would drastically change the form factor of the nano that much....I totally agree. The little square design that has been passed around is so ugly I have a hard time thinking up ways that Apple could still use this form factor but make it look good as opposed to all the fugly mockups we have been seeing.

Just like Jonathan Ive, I have been to design school and one of the first things they teach you (if you don't know already), is the importance of proportion and the centrality of the golden rectangle. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rectangle)

Objects that are shaped like this just "look right" to the eye, this is why doors, buildings, and almost everything else has been shaped this way since the stone age. Objects that are "thinner" rectangles, look even cooler or slimmer, whereas objects that approach a square, will look "fat" and ugly. Every designer/artist knows this either by training or just instinctively.

On a practical level, this square design would imply either that the nano is getting wider (as this poster and others assume), or that they have chopped the height only. If it's the first case, then this design will require all new docks and accessories! WTF? Why would they do that to us?

If it's the second case, then they have removed all the comfort areas around the clickwheel, and jammed everything into this ugly little square when they clearly didn't even need to. The thing is already dead tiny, and there is no design advantage to reducing the height. Staying the same form factor would not affect plans for the wider screen, would not affect the controls, etc.

Making the current nano form factor shorter, just introduces a design *constraint*, in that it makes the interior volume smaller, meaning less storage and less room for the OS. I can see nothing to be gained by this except perhaps a slightly lighter weight.

The "rounded corner rectangle" might be Apples longest running design standard, but almost always it's the golden rectangle we see, and for good reason. If Ive has actually done this to the nano, it might be the first of his designs that I truly think misses the mark.

These square mockups we have been seeing just make no sense from a design perspective unless it's like the Volkswagon "Thing" where the product was supposed to be "so ugly it's cool." And you don't see many VW Things driving the streets these days do you? :-)

rsoerensen
Aug 19, 2007, 10:38 AM
They're often right about their rumors... Maybe this could explain something:

search in whois comes up with this address:

Quincy Pince-Nez (ssnyc4me@yahoo.com)
+1.9178925594
Fax:
1 infinite loop
Cupertino, CA 90210
US

Same address as Apple.. Is there some kind of other explanation to this, other than Apple is somehow running the site?

i0Nic
Aug 19, 2007, 10:40 AM
My take
http://trifectafoto.com/nano.jpg

bingo..

Frisco
Aug 19, 2007, 10:43 AM
Looks like the iPod Mini

kiang
Aug 19, 2007, 10:44 AM
I don't like it, I love the freshness-level of the present colours, and these look so... dusty

So I really hope this rumour is false :rolleyes:

Kace
Aug 19, 2007, 10:47 AM
i like 'em though i'd be more interested in the form factor, screen size and the industrial design than the colours.

bogg
Aug 19, 2007, 10:49 AM
quick version of a Cranberry/Wine Red one:

http://nyx.bogg.org/files2/840z5_wine_red.png

iMaki
Aug 19, 2007, 10:53 AM
The colors are hideous! The current colors are nice, but I could see where a adding purple would be a hit with a lot of women. Apple needs to stop messing around with colors.

Mgkwho
Aug 19, 2007, 11:13 AM
So the colors are more refined- elegant and modern compared to the bright, bold colors of the shuffle. I like that; it sets the nano apart from the shuffle. (I also had hoped for a different-shade blue nano).

-=|Mgkwho

Kace
Aug 19, 2007, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't mind having a touch-screen nano, but I think that functionality is reserved for the regular iPod...

why?
the nano commands a much higher price per GB than the iPod (i know flash vs HDD obviously flash would be more expensive, but they still use pro quality material for the nano v consumer quality plastic for the iPod).

if the nano does ship without a touchscreen and the iPod does indeed have one. then expect 1 or both of the below to be true :
# nano prices reduced whilst doubling capacity
# ipod prices to go up whilst adding 20 to 30% capacity.

bottom line, i wouldn't be surprised if both the nano and the ipod shipped with touch screens. so no, the touch screen functionality is not reserved for the iPod. as long as both are prices correctly (and there is sufficient difference between the size of their screen) i don;t see them eating up each others market share. they are both flagships for their intended market.

it would be prefect for apple to go all touch screen. they haven't had a major innovation within the iPod sphere since 4G (advent of the click wheel). putting in touchscreens with iPhonesque UI would put them ahead of competing DAPs/PMPs (whatever they are called). hardware wise apple can only do so much, competition has caught up. software is apples forte, might as well use it to regain some market share off SanDisk and weed to silly attempts (zune).
also releasing updated versions of their existing games (obviously that would come with iPhone compatibility would do wonders in-terms of marketing).

Wayfarer
Aug 19, 2007, 11:53 AM
Here's are some different colors throughout the generations, for everyone's reference...

First Gen Minis

http://edge.macworld.com/2004/02/images/content/ipodmini_fam.jpg

Second Gen Minis

http://playlistmag.com/publications/playlist/images/2005/02/minifam.jpg

Second Gen Nanos

http://www.yugatech.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/ipod-nano.jpg http://brassycafe.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/images/464a_1.jpg

Purported new colors:
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/black.png http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/grey.png http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/red.png http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/blue.png http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/green.png

The Stig
Aug 19, 2007, 12:05 PM
OH MAN!!! I can't wait to buy myself a baby puke green iPod Nano!!

The Stig

Virgil-TB2
Aug 19, 2007, 12:16 PM
They're often right about their rumors... Maybe this could explain something:

search in whois comes up with this address:

Quincy Pince-Nez (ssnyc4me@yahoo.com)
+1.9178925594
Fax:
1 infinite loop
Cupertino, CA 90210
US

Same address as Apple.. Is there some kind of other explanation to this, other than Apple is somehow running the site?That last name is a joke for sure (it's an old fashioned type of glasses), so if the name is fake, the address might be also IMO.

Funny thing is, while a lot of people do it, providing a fake whois record for a website is actually a crime and means that you (technically) don't have rights to the site or domain.

Anyone wanting to be a jerk about it could steal 9 to 5 mac out from under this guy, or at least get him in trouble and force him to use his real name.

dieselmac
Aug 19, 2007, 12:25 PM
If you notice, these colors are similar to the minis. I believe these colors are colors that are going to appeal to the trendy manhattan folk and the hipsters. Im just one of those boston boys who prefers practicality over trendy. Oh well. Prolly just buy one anyway out of frustration...or rage. :apple:

Wayfarer
Aug 19, 2007, 12:32 PM
OH MAN!!! I can't wait to buy myself a baby puke green iPod Nano!!

The Stig

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/green.png

HA! I wouldn't say so. How about seafoam, sprindrift, emerald mist, flora or minty expressions? ;)

SMM
Aug 19, 2007, 12:39 PM
If you notice, these colors are similar to the minis. I believe these colors are colors that are going to appeal to the trendy manhattan folk and the hipsters. Im just one of those boston boys who prefers practicality over trendy. Oh well. Prolly just buy one anyway out of frustration...or rage. :apple:

Frustration....Rage....over the color of an iPod? :rolleyes:

Aug 19, 2007, 12:41 PM
What no brown?! :eek:

I was wondering the same thing...where is the **** brown? I am sure many people want it! :rolleyes:

All in all, great color selection...they look kinda bland on the screen, but seem perfect for anodized aluminum or similar materials...go Apple!

That last name is a joke for sure (it's an old fashioned type of glasses), so if the name is fake, the address might be also IMO.

Funny thing is, while a lot of people do it, providing a fake whois record for a website is actually a crime and means that you (technically) don't have rights to the site or domain.

Anyone wanting to be a jerk about it could steal 9 to 5 mac out from under this guy, or at least get him in trouble and force him to use his real name.

Well, it could be the guy running the outdoor cafeteria somewhere in Apple's campus... :rolleyes:

filmgirl
Aug 19, 2007, 12:58 PM
That's...interesting. I don't object to the colors (other than the seafoam - I really hate seafoam and the green they have now is pretty great - wish I had picked up my Nano in green last week, but I got the blue because I thought maybe my dad would want it instead), but something about the form factor rings slightly false. I mean, I can see Apple changing the form factor again (not that it is needed, but hey, why not - it's Apple) - but the only conceivable way I can see what the mockups show as working in a functional way would be to make it bigger. That's kind of antithetical to the whole Apple mantra - especially when then Nano is concerned.

PumaGuy
Aug 19, 2007, 01:17 PM

Sorry, I'm just a tad stereotypical when it comes to colors, just when I see a guy wearing pink, I will think differently of him:p If I see a person wearing all black, I'll think that he/she is either a goth or a vampire.

Puma

flopticalcube
Aug 19, 2007, 01:21 PM
Sorry, I'm just a tad stereotypical when it comes to colors, just when I see a guy wearing pink, I will think differently of him:p If I see a person wearing all black, I'll think that he/she is either a goth or a vampire.

Puma

100 years ago, pink was considered a masculine, aggressive colour and blue was considered calming and feminine. How times have changed.

the vj
Aug 19, 2007, 01:35 PM
i dont get u guys..as if u like these colours..they are grosssss. i really dislike them.

i clicked on the comments expecting to see hate comments about these colours. as if im alone on this one. :(

Second that.

Many people at this forums seems to agreed to what ever Apple brings, total lack of criteria.

someone28624
Aug 19, 2007, 01:37 PM
I like the current Nano colors better. I just think bright colors look better on an iPod. I also don't like the shape that's on the website in the OP. I see that as being awkward to put in a pocket or something.

Wayfarer
Aug 19, 2007, 01:38 PM
Naysayers, if want a new nano and the colors don't suite you, then there's always a variety of colorful protective covers/skins you can buy to suite you. Just thought I'd throw that out there... :rolleyes:

thecritix
Aug 19, 2007, 01:52 PM
we would be ripping it out of them.
these look generally poor to my mind, the red is nice tho.

i generally think give people the choice, but then the ipod has done so well in white/black, it would seem to me that the colour is not really that important..

i do worry when companies start to do things like this that they're gonna come out with a flood of little spin offs... just seems to detract from the product and look a bit desperate??

im probably wrong, but its just my thoughts.

tranced25
Aug 19, 2007, 01:59 PM
Guess it's a great time for me to stock up on the current green and blue colors before the "earthy" tones come. I don't hate the rumored colors, but I definitely prefer the current selections of bright and fun colors. Introducing new colors seemed to create a sales surge for the shuffle. Perhaps Apple is expecting people to flock in and buy up the up-coming ones, and others less smitten will flock in to buy the current ones.

This topic is just screaming for a poll.

orbital~debris
Aug 19, 2007, 01:59 PM
I think these purported new colours reference previous Apple colour choices to some extentů

The pale green is towards the spectrum area of the 'Sage' iMac, and the cranberry/wine one could be reminiscent of the 'Ruby' iMac.

Also to some extent, the pale blue reminds me a little of the predominant shade for the 'Blue Dalmatian' iMac.

koobcamuk
Aug 19, 2007, 02:13 PM
Touch-screen. No click wheel. 2.5" screen. Does video. All video is viewable in landscape mode. New features like calculator. Comes with headset in-line remote for pocket usage. Similar UI to existing nano UI. Internal accelerometer for sensing rotation between portrait and landscape modes, for photo displaying, and possibly clover flow. 4GB & 8GB versions.

I don't get why when people have an idea, they break it up. With full stops. Or periods. Like they are being a salesman. It's really weird. I don't get it.

DaBrain
Aug 19, 2007, 02:15 PM
So... we are all gay then? :confused::rolleyes:;)

Speak for yourself--))) :eek:

DaBrain
Aug 19, 2007, 02:19 PM
i like 'em though i'd be more interested in the form factor, screen size and the industrial design than the colours.

I'd be more interested in functionality! :apple:

Wayfarer
Aug 19, 2007, 02:25 PM
I think these purported new colours reference previous Apple colour choices to some extent…

The pale green is towards the spectrum area of the 'Sage' iMac, and the cranberry/wine one could be reminiscent of the 'Ruby' iMac.

Also to some extent, the pale blue reminds me a little of the predominant shade for the 'Blue Dalmatian' iMac.

Very interesting that you pointed that out. I never really thought about that.

This might prove that Apple has experience with using color tastefully in their products. I'm sure they won't disappoint with whatever they have to offer next month.

PumaGuy
Aug 19, 2007, 02:29 PM
100 years ago, pink was considered a masculine, aggressive colour and blue was considered calming and feminine. How times have changed.

True. Despite being widely considered the color of females, before the 1930s, pink was considered to be a color for boys in America. Because pink is a watered down version of red, it was considered a color of power and strength, as red is still today. Blue was for girls.

Whereas Jews were forced to wear the familiar yellow stars of David, and Roma people were forced to wear a black triangle, men imprisoned on accusations of homosexuality or same-sex sexual activity were forced to wear a pink triangle.

AppleIntelRock
Aug 19, 2007, 02:41 PM
great! every 12 year old girl in america will want one! :rolleyes:

and a color makes a product unpractical... how exactly? :confused:

japanime
Aug 19, 2007, 03:16 PM
If I see a person wearing all black, I'll think that he/she is either a goth or a vampire.

Puma

So, what you're saying, then, is that Steve Jobs is either a goth or a vampire. :p

Or both! :D

AppleIntelRock
Aug 19, 2007, 03:17 PM
So, what you're saying, then, is that Steve Jobs is either a goth or a vampire. :p

Or both! :D

or steve jobs doesn't wear all black?

coffeecty
Aug 19, 2007, 03:49 PM
I am falling in love with that wine/cranberry colour. I am hoping that they will go with these colours. They're what takes up the body of consumer fashion right now, so I could definitely see them going with these colours. The men that are squeamish about their sexuality will stick with boring silver, and everyone else can have a fun color.

PumaGuy
Aug 19, 2007, 04:05 PM
or steve jobs doesn't wear all black?

hehehe, thanks!

PumaGuy
Aug 19, 2007, 04:08 PM
The men that are squeamish about their sexuality will stick with boring silver, and everyone else can have a fun color.

Or, just not get the nano.

hagjohn
Aug 19, 2007, 04:23 PM
Horrible colors.

Wayfarer
Aug 19, 2007, 04:28 PM
Horrible colors.

Think again. I wouldn't say so. I think they look very appealing if you visualize and slap them on the current nanos...

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82765&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1187507686

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/black.png http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/grey.png http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/red.png http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/blue.png http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/18/green.png

Think different! :D :apple:

..........?
Aug 19, 2007, 04:43 PM
I'm still having trouble accepting that Apple would drastically change the form factor of the nano that much. I know it was somewhat a big step from the mini to the nano but that change made sense. I don't understand at all why apple would make the nano bigger. Who knows? Maybe the change will be more acceptable when apple has put their touch on the form factor and it might even be appealing. Or 9to5mac could be full of crap on this one and Apple is allowing this false release of information to trick us into thinking its real because they let the info on the new macs stay on the internet too. I just want the full screen ipod released soon... Dang it, now I'm not gonna have any money after i buy a 360 and halo 3 the same week. :mad:

If they make it bigger then i think they are replacing ipod nano. End of ipod nano. They will call it a different name.

Apple have to always change. It cannot rely on the ipod nano to be hip for a long time. That is why they are always introducing new product with new form and name instead of the same thing but with more memory.

Chupa Chupa
Aug 19, 2007, 05:02 PM
Yawn. I hope both a new nano and iPod offer more than just a lame color and font change. Apple has a big problem, which I'm sure they realize, namely everyone in America now has at least one iPod. People want new features, not just new colors. We could all list a dozen things we'd like to see in the next iPods. Let's hope Apple includes at least one.

rsoerensen
Aug 19, 2007, 05:23 PM
That last name is a joke for sure (it's an old fashioned type of glasses), so if the name is fake, the address might be also IMO.

What do you mean that the name is an old fashioned type of glasses?

Well, obviosly Apple would be very stupid not to cover their rumor outlet site better than this - one whois search away from anyone. Perhaps he has the right to the site, because it's technically Apple's site?

It couldn't be anyone who is not authorized by Apple to do so and who is under current employment of Apple - i guess all Apples "leaks tries to cover up their tracks, since leaking these kinds of informations would lead to them being fired and possibly sued.

However, this is pretty much speculations with only one thing pointing in this direction (other than that they are always right and first with certain rumors. We know that leaking informations are a tactic of Apple PR, which creates tremendous amounts of "free" marketing for Apple - right?

Anyways, funny thing..

Wayfarer
Aug 19, 2007, 05:32 PM
Yawn. I hope both a new nano and iPod offer more than just a lame color and font change. Apple has a big problem, which I'm sure they realize, namely everyone in America now has at least one iPod. People want new features, not just new colors. We could all list a dozen things we'd like to see in the next iPods. Let's hope Apple includes at least one.

Well of course of course we want something new, you've got a point there. :rolleyes:

But if you've been keeping up with rumors lately, and this thread, these new iPod nanos will reportedly have a smaller form factor and video compability... not merely a color and/or hardware refresh. We have also suspected that the new iPods will feature an updated OS. Yes the iPods are due for a major upgrade next month, and I'm sure Apple will continue to successfully lead this product line.

stcroixsailor
Aug 19, 2007, 05:39 PM

i feel exactly the same way... why would you have different shades of the same color? it just doesn't make sense

PumaGuy
Aug 19, 2007, 06:09 PM
We are still not sure if these are the new colors for sure, and I will challenge 9to5's accuracy on this.

Southern
Aug 19, 2007, 06:16 PM
We are still not sure if these are the new colors for sure, and I will challenge 9to5's accuracy on this.

This is a sensible reaction to play here. Throughout the lower model iPod lines, Apple have been careful to give a good range of colours that will appeal to people - hopefully a customer will like one of the five offered. After all, it will be nice to see some new colours too - evolution rather than revolution and all that.

But to be quite honest, is it really necessary to update the iPod nanos at all especially only because of a cosmetic change? Maybe a focus group told Apple that brightly coloured aluminium isn't hip and duller colours are making a comeback.

Hairball
Aug 19, 2007, 06:18 PM
quick version of a Cranberry/Wine Red one:

http://nyx.bogg.org/files2/840z5_wine_red.png

Looks a lot better than the nasty pink they presently have. Still not a fan though.

TheBigS
Aug 19, 2007, 06:48 PM
The black, wine, and blue are ok, but come on... everyone loves the neon colors. The nano orange and lime green would be a better choice IMO. It can't be that hard to make different colors of ipods, so why not make the new and the old.

jouster
Aug 19, 2007, 07:09 PM
What do you mean that the name is an old fashioned type of glasses?

Wiki is your friend.... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pince_nez)

Mac Fly (film)
Aug 19, 2007, 07:14 PM
Looks a lot better than the nasty pink they presently have. Still not a fan though.
Pink? :confused:

Mjolnir 998
Aug 19, 2007, 07:27 PM

for some reason the suggested new design of the nano doesn't look to bad in that picture, opposed to others I've seen. still don't like it, wish theyd just keep the old ones and add video and redo the colors

I still want that damn Product Red nano but I don't have the money to spend on that right now

Mjolnir 998
Aug 19, 2007, 07:30 PM
for some reason the suggested new design of the nano doesn't look to bad in that picture, opposed to others I've seen. still don't like it, wish theyd just keep the old ones and add video and redo the colors

I still want that damn Product Red nano but I don't have the money to spend on that right now

crap just looked at the other one again, it looks nothing like the one you posted so just kidding about that, the supposedly official one definately looks gay

Virgil-TB2
Aug 19, 2007, 07:38 PM
Wiki is your friend.... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pince_nez)While we're at it the email address given:

"ssnyc4me@yahoo.com" kind of suggests he is in New York City (it's "4 him"), which also doesn't jibe with a Southern California address.

I also wish I could find more detailed information on the penalties available for people like this who fake their WHOIS information.

The Wiki only says this:
The Fraudulent Online Identity Sanctions Act "make it a violation of trademark and copyright law if a person knowingly provided, or caused to be provided, materially false contact information in making, maintaining, or renewing the registration of a domain name used in connection with the violation."

GoCubsGo
Aug 19, 2007, 07:55 PM
I don't like them. Of course black and silver ok. Wine looks ok and not nearly as lame as the blue and green. I think Apple hit it right on with the pink, orange, blue, & green shuffles. They shouldn't change the nanos unless they want to add Orange.

dokein
Aug 19, 2007, 08:18 PM
these less-flashy colors kind of remind me of when they came out with the Indigo, Ruby, and Sage iMac DVs, which I always thought were the best looking G3 iMacs they made. Now if they made a Bondi blue shuffle, I'd be definitely be all over that.

padmasana
Aug 19, 2007, 09:33 PM
I don't like them. Of course black and silver ok. Wine looks ok and not nearly as lame as the blue and green. I think Apple hit it right on with the pink, orange, blue, & green shuffles. They shouldn't change the nanos unless they want to add Orange.

I totally agree.

JohnnyQuest
Aug 19, 2007, 10:05 PM
I honestly think these colors will look fantastic on the nanos. They look more adult and professional, if you know what I mean. The current colors are such "candy" colors. Bright pink, green, and blue look too childish. These colors will appeal to all ages and sexes. I think its a good choice for new colors and will look awesome in person.

iAlan
Aug 19, 2007, 10:44 PM
If the colours are correct then the 'nano has grown up - just like the new iMac with it's more sophisticated appearance.

And I remember sooo many people complaining about the pink Mini when it first came out, ant it went on to be one of the most popular colours. I also saw a lot of guys in Japan with the pink Mini as the connotation of pink being a 'girls' colour does not ring true in all cultures

Not all of us are beer drinking white guys, so a variety of colours to apeal to Apple's wide consumer base is important - and there are a lot of people out there who wil buy a new iPod even if they don't need one if it looks different to the existing ones (me included)

epiphany
Aug 19, 2007, 10:59 PM
The subdued nature of the colors tells me where Apple thinks people's moods will be come December.

Happy colors for 'happy times', and restrained colors for tighter times.

MacFly123
Aug 20, 2007, 12:34 AM
Awesome job, but I made a few adjustments :D

- bigger screen
- classic click wheel
- new interface

This is what the new iPod Nano will be mark my words :D :apple:

SactoGuy18
Aug 20, 2007, 12:36 AM
Awesome job, but I made a few adjustments :D

- bigger screen
- classic click wheel
- new interface

This is what the new iPod Nano will be mark my words :D :apple:

I think your "photoshopped" picture might be much closer to the truth than you think. Mind you, I think it will be as wide as the current 5.5G iPod to accommodate a bigger screen, though.

PumaGuy
Aug 20, 2007, 12:52 AM
MacFly you did a great job :)

I just wanted to say, no matter how long a rumor is around, that Apple will always surprise us. I had no idea the new iMac's would look the way they look, so I wouldn't be surprised if the new revolution of iPod's would look nothing like what anyone could have pondered up in Photoshop.

One more thing: I believe that the new iPod's will have some sort black outline around the screen just like the the current iMac's. I heard a research team did a study and it said that looking at a screen with a black outline keeps you focused to the screen more, or something like that:p

unigolyn
Aug 20, 2007, 01:17 AM

...he says, on forums.macrumors.com.

Quillz
Aug 20, 2007, 01:38 AM
The colors look interesting, but I'd probably still go for the black. I'd like to see the new nano more or less keep the same form factor (the projected thinner model doesn't look so hot), as well as space being doubled. Perhaps start at 8 GB and offer up to 16 GB?

pdra05
Aug 20, 2007, 02:08 AM
i dunno which to choose from!

hmm.. probably the blue one. it would be great to see an orange nano too though :)

PumaGuy
Aug 20, 2007, 02:24 AM
i dunno which to choose from!

hmm.. probably the blue one. it would be great to see an orange nano too though :)

second that, or an actual blue like this!

Wayfarer
Aug 20, 2007, 02:35 AM
Maybe deeply saturated colors such as this, this, this, or this... are distasteful or something, otherwise we would've seen Apple roll out mostly primary colored iPods a long time ago. I'll reiterate that the new purported colors seem more sophisticated in my opinion.

This discussion is still alive? :eek:

MacFly123
Aug 20, 2007, 02:39 AM
I believe that the new iPod's will have some sort black outline around the screen just like the the current iMac's. I heard a research team did a study and it said that looking at a screen with a black outline keeps you focused to the screen more, or something like that:p

Ok PumaGuy, here you go, this is the Final Word :D So let it be written, and it will be done at the end of September. Everyone take note of this design come September :eek:

PumaGuy
Aug 20, 2007, 02:47 AM
Ok PumaGuy, here you go, this is the Final Word :D So let it be written, and it will be done at the end of September. Everyone take note of this design come September :eek:

*Applauds* BRAVO! BRAVO! *more applauds*

Honestly, maybe Apple will throw away their current prototype of their model and steal yours? Or just hire you:D I LUV IT!

aswitcher
Aug 20, 2007, 03:00 AM

Good work! Not sure I like the fainter colours...

motulist
Aug 20, 2007, 05:59 AM
everyone in America now has at least one iPod. People want new features, not just new colors.

I live in America, but I've never had an iPod. And it's because of the same reason you mentioned - I've never found one with the features I want. I use an mp3 cd player, and it works well, but it's not working as well as it used to. So I've been searching for a new mp3 player, but none of the ones I've seen suit my needs. And that's remarkable because my criteria are so modest! I want an mp3 player that meets the following requirements:

- small and thin
- battery life of 16 hours minimum (or uses disposables)
- has a couple of bass enhancing modes that are easy to toggle through
- volume control is easy to get to quickly
- computer software interface is easy and reliable
- is not a Sony product (I don't like their business practices)

Are those criteria really so unusual that all the mp3 player manufacturers out there haven't decided to make a product for people like me?

The only player I've found that comes close is the Panasonic SV-MP02 (http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelList?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&catGroupId=25021&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702), but it's not slim, it's a weird squared rectangle that I think will look and feel weird in my pocket. The iPod misses out on my money because the EQ choices are abysmal and are hard to get to, as is the volume control.

maesy
Aug 20, 2007, 07:16 AM
http://idisk.mac.com/ckmaes/Public/newiPod.jpg

Chupa Chupa
Aug 20, 2007, 08:01 AM
I live in America, but I've never had an iPod. And it's because of the same reason you mentioned - I've never found one with the features I want. I use an mp3 cd player, and it works well, but it's not working as well as it used to. So I've been searching for a new mp3 player, but none of the ones I've seen suit my needs. And that's remarkable because my criteria are so modest! I want an mp3 player that meets the following requirements:

- small and thin
- battery life of 16 hours minimum (or uses disposables)
- has a couple of bass enhancing modes that are easy to toggle through
- volume control is easy to get to quickly
- computer software interface is easy and reliable
- is not a Sony product (I don't like their business practices)

Are those criteria really so unusual that all the mp3 player manufacturers out there haven't decided to make a product for people like me?

You might be one of the last holdouts. Even my luddite brother-in-law has a nano now. And, honestly, I think the nano is close enough to your requirements. You seem to be too picky. I mean you refuse to buy a nano b/c it doesn't have multiple bass enchancing modes. Sheesh. It certainly has everything else on your list, including 24hr battery life.

I'd like Apple to add features like radio & BT audio. The lack of those hasn't stopped me from buying the current iPod versions (I've upgraded after each new generation has been announced, dumping my old iPods on eBay). But even a tech geek like me is getting a little tired of that game for just a new form factor or color.

I don't think I'm alone. With the exception of fashion tranced teen girls, your ordinary non-geek technophone consumer is going to need some wow to have any motivation for upgrading. Hopefully Jobs won't let us down. Ever since MW he keeps telling us great Apple products are in the pipeline for the year, but so far all we have is the iPhone. Everything else has been kinda meh.

motulist
Aug 20, 2007, 08:25 AM
you refuse to buy a nano b/c it doesn't have multiple bass enchancing modes. Sheesh. It certainly has everything else on your list,

The iPod doesn't have ANY worthwhile bass enhancing modes. And they're hard to get to. And you can't change the volume at all unless you're on the 'now playing' screen, which is often many clicks away from the screen you're on.

So it definitely doesn't have everything on my very short and very reasonable list of requirements.

Wayfarer
Aug 20, 2007, 08:51 AM
The iPod doesn't have ANY worthwhile bass enhancing modes. And they're hard to get to. And you can't change the volume at all unless you're on the 'now playing' screen, which is often many clicks away from the screen you're on.

So it definitely doesn't have everything on my very short and very reasonable list of requirements.

Have you ever even owned an iPod? :eek:

motulist
Aug 20, 2007, 08:59 AM
Have you ever even owned an iPod? :eek:

I've used them here and there and used a friends old one for a few weeks, which is exactly why I know what I'm talking about. If I'm mistaken about anything I've stated then please correct me with specific info.

MrCrowbar
Aug 20, 2007, 09:16 AM

Love it.

mozmac
Aug 20, 2007, 09:23 AM
My vote: the colors could look pretty sweet on a Nano. I'm just interested to see anything new for the iPod, because it has been a long time. We were spoiled a couple years ago when Apple was updating the iPod just about every Keynote. I wish they'd get back to doing that with the Mac. :)

captunderpant
Aug 20, 2007, 09:27 AM
i like the new colors. the are more modern. are there going to be any technology advancements to the new nano?:apple::apple::apple:

Wayfarer
Aug 20, 2007, 09:30 AM
i like the new colors. the are more modern. are there going to be any technology advancements to the new nano?:apple::apple::apple:

Yeah, we've said it here several times before. The new nanos are expected to recieve video compability, an updated OS and *possibly* a slightly larger screen.

slffl
Aug 20, 2007, 10:09 AM
I like them!!!

vandlism
Aug 20, 2007, 10:50 AM
And you can't change the volume at all unless you're on the 'now playing' screen, which is often many clicks away from the screen you're on.

Sounds to me like you're too used to the MP3 cd player where you need to be constantly browsing for your next song instead of just listening to the music. How often do you change the volume of a song? Why not just use Sound Check and all of your songs will play at the same level?

Everything you described are all the right reasons to own an iPod, with the exception Bass Enhancement, though there are EQ settings under which the songs maintain whatever is assigned to them in iTunes.

EagerDragon
Aug 20, 2007, 10:56 AM
I like the Black, Silver and Wine ones. However I am not about to buy one for every color shirt I have.

My next iPod will be an iPhone, so this makes little difference to me.

cleanup
Aug 20, 2007, 10:56 AM
That mockup that was posted... I'm not sure how the proportions work. I wouldn't want a Nano that's been fattened in terms of width. So if the width of the screen hasn't changed, then the length has been reduced significantly.

Currently I really enjoy the nano design. To me, that mock up I think should've been the 5th-gen iPod Video. I'm really sick of the whole chrome back, shiny plastic front thing. Single-piece-of-anodized-aluminum is much more preferable for me.

I do want my next iPod to be a full-screen touch iPod (or, even better, a 16 GB flash-based nano that's also touch-screen, but is square in shape... I think I've seen a player like that before, made by iRiver or Toshiba or something...)... and I think that's where Apple is headed, but I'm not sure what they'll do with the nano.

EagerDragon
Aug 20, 2007, 10:58 AM
hmmm is that dark grey or black? dark grey would be right up my alley [:

edit: oh the link says its black ]:

Black is just a darker shade of grey so no mistake there.

milo
Aug 20, 2007, 11:00 AM
I don't understand at all why apple would make the nano bigger.

Because they're supposedly adding video playback - to make the screen bigger, you have to make the unit bigger. Although it seems like the mockups just look bigger, they actually say that they're about the same width as before, just shorter.

I'm totally fine with that, maybe it's finally time to upgrade from my original shuffle.

I thought these colors looked a little girly, but when I looked at the current ones, these are actually less girly. Personally, I'd like to see some DARK colors, like a nice british racing green or deep navy blue or dark burgundy purple. That would be very cool with a metallic finish. But as people have mentioned already, the colors apple has come out with that were mocked the most often ended up being the best sellers.

Yawn. I hope both a new nano and iPod offer more than just a lame color and font change. Apple has a big problem, which I'm sure they realize, namely everyone in America now has at least one iPod.

I guess you haven't been following the rumors...these nanos are supposed to have video playback, which is a huge addition, especially if prices don't go up. And do you really think "everyone in america" having your product would be considered a problem by most companies? I'm sure virtually all would kill for that.

I assume if they do video playback they'll have video output from the jack like the full sized ipod? And what about battery life for video, would it be as bad as the current video ipod or is there room for improvement since it doesn't have a hard drive?

macintel4me
Aug 20, 2007, 11:08 AM
I like the Black, Silver and Wine ones. However I am not about to buy one for every color shirt I have.

My next iPod will be an iPhone, so this makes little difference to me.
I have an 1G iPod Shuffle and I still use a lot even though I still have an iPhone. The iPhone is too cumbersome when running/exercising for me.

EagerDragon
Aug 20, 2007, 11:11 AM

According to 'wc -w' you said 20 words.

EagerDragon
Aug 20, 2007, 11:13 AM
I have an 1G iPod Shuffle and I still use a lot even though I still have an iPhone. The iPhone is too cumbersome when running/exercising for me.

Makes sense to use the shuffle instead. Besides is a lot less weight and you can hook it just about anywhere. Watch that clip, it may hurt, LOL.

Clive At Five
Aug 20, 2007, 11:35 AM
Aside from this whole debate about colors, I think the iPod refresh will really conclusively establish 9to5mac.com as a reliable or unreliable news source. So far they've only had a couple very general correct predictions on the new iMacs, which seemed to be echoes of other rumors... We'll see what the refresh brings, though.

-Clive

RadioStar
Aug 20, 2007, 12:14 PM
I'm still a bit mystified by the decision to add video to the Nano. I don't see it adding much value. The iPod Video screen is already too small to be really useful for video, so what's the point in enabling it on an even smaller device?

Maybe they'll surprise me, but I'm not totally sold on it yet.

macintel4me
Aug 20, 2007, 12:22 PM
I'm still a bit mystified by the decision to add video to the Nano. I don't see it adding much value. The iPod Video screen is already too small to be really useful for video, so what's the point in enabling it on an even smaller device?

Maybe they'll surprise me, but I'm not totally sold on it yet.
The current iPod Nano already supports photos. So why is the Nano screen size ok for photos, but not for video? The rumor also states a bigger screen than what the current Nano has too.

sinser
Aug 20, 2007, 12:24 PM
Uh, if that's really the design of the new nano I find it terrible. And why no white? If this will be confirmed, it will the second item (after the new iMac) designed by Apple that I don't like. :(

RadioStar
Aug 20, 2007, 12:46 PM
The current iPod Nano already supports photos. So why is the Nano screen size ok for photos, but not for video? The rumor also states a bigger screen than what the current Nano has too.

I don't think it's all that good for photos, either. Just too small.

JonMan
Aug 20, 2007, 12:58 PM
Something seems off here. The mockup looks amazing, but there still remains one key problem -- unless they make the nano wider, which seems unlikely, the screen will still be too small for video.

I have a bad feeling about these updates. With the iPhone release, Apple created a serious problem with respect to their iPod product lineup. I just don't see how they can keep everyone happy.

morespce54
Aug 20, 2007, 02:24 PM

LOL :D

you know, when I was young (so much younger than today...;)), that's what I wanted to do for a living, invent new colors!
I guess finally I was right to think twice... ;)

macklos
Aug 20, 2007, 02:53 PM
I could see the redesign and new colors as being part of the rumored iPhone Nano. Otherwise, the nano is just fine the way it is other than perhaps a storage upgrade.

milo
Aug 20, 2007, 03:55 PM

Obviously the many people who have bought video ipods don't agree that the screen is too small.

Also, the rumors haven't really been clear if the nano screen is staying the same or getting a little bigger.

Personally, I do the vast majority of ipod video watching from a cable to a TV. For that, screen size isn't an issue. I'd love to see video playback on a nano, if they had had that when I bought my first video ipod, I likely would have gone with the nano instead.

I have a bad feeling about these updates. With the iPhone release, Apple created a serious problem with respect to their iPod product lineup. I just don't see how they can keep everyone happy.

If there was really a problem, wouldn't iPod sales be off? Sounds like they are as strong as ever. I can see an issue if they release a touchscreen ipod, basically an iphone minus the phone, for the same price (or close, or more) as the iphone. But I don't see how adding video playback to the nano is going to make anyone unhappy.

cliffjumper68
Aug 20, 2007, 04:01 PM
ew

too feminine.

My thoughts exactly, the bright colors in the current palette are much better.

cliffjumper68
Aug 20, 2007, 04:03 PM
Obviously the many people who have bought video ipods don't agree that the screen is too small.

Also, the rumors haven't really been clear if the nano screen is staying the same or getting a little bigger.

Personally, I do the vast majority of ipod video watching from a cable to a TV. For that, screen size isn't an issue. I'd love to see video playback on a nano, if they had had that when I bought my first video ipod, I likely would have gone with the nano instead.

If there was really a problem, wouldn't iPod sales be off? Sounds like they are as strong as ever. I can see an issue if they release a touchscreen ipod, basically an iphone minus the phone, for the same price (or close, or more) as the iphone. But I don't see how adding video playback to the nano is going to make anyone unhappy.

I bought a video Ipod last year and noticed it was significantly slower than previous ipods when switching between menu's. I hope the new Nano does not have video, just a great music player.

milo
Aug 20, 2007, 05:35 PM
I bought a video Ipod last year and noticed it was significantly slower than previous ipods when switching between menu's. I hope the new Nano does not have video, just a great music player.

Sounds like you're happy with what they have now, why not just buy that and not worry about the next release?

PumaGuy
Aug 20, 2007, 06:07 PM
http://idisk.mac.com/ckmaes/Public/newiPod.jpg

Very nice too!:)

maesy
Aug 20, 2007, 06:46 PM
I posted it last night and it was fine... now I see it has gone... :confused:
Back again... :rolleyes:

MacFly123
Aug 21, 2007, 03:14 AM
Here is the new line up :)

Donza
Aug 22, 2007, 05:13 AM
Sweet

iPod nano spy shot (http://9to5mac.com/ipod-nano-spy-shot-23545346)

DoFoT9
Aug 22, 2007, 05:19 AM
Sweet

hhhhmmm intersting. looks a little ttooo fat to me.

alexeismertin
Aug 22, 2007, 05:20 AM
Sweet

Yeah just saw these, seem to have a lot of curvature, looks ok though.

http://www.9to5mac.com/files/Nano-spy-shot-sm.png

DerJapaner
Aug 22, 2007, 05:28 AM
Not sure whether it was posted before. Not having a PINK version in Japan will mean likely a 50% decrease in business .... :mad:

Darkenvamp
Aug 22, 2007, 05:35 AM
so what will be the expected difference between the current ipod nano and the future nano???

Marresc
Aug 22, 2007, 05:46 AM

Look at the shadow/perspective of the blue and silver nano... Something's not right.

macintel4me
Aug 22, 2007, 05:50 AM
so what will be the expected difference between the current ipod nano and the future nano???
1) size
2) colors
3) video playback
4) capacity

Darkenvamp
Aug 22, 2007, 06:58 AM
1) size
2) colors
3) video playback
4) capacity

wait! you said video playback?? on that little screen? if they are going to add video playback then the whole ipod will be a lot bigger -_- ..i dont like that.

macintel4me
Aug 22, 2007, 07:27 AM
wait! you said video playback?? on that little screen? if they are going to add video playback then the whole ipod will be a lot bigger -_- ..i dont like that.
First, video playback is just a rumor...like everything else here.
Second, the size would be smaller not bigger.
Third, if you think the screen is too small for watching video than don't use it.

aswitcher
Aug 22, 2007, 07:38 AM

For this to happen the shuffle needs to get a screen to fill the gap a "fat" nano would create for current ultraportable nano users.

paetrick
Aug 22, 2007, 07:43 AM
For this to happen the shuffle needs to get a screen to fill the gap a "fat" nano would create for current ultraportable nano users.

YEEEES :D, IF THE NANO LOOKS LIKE THAT THE NEW "BIG" IPOD NEEDS TO BE AN IPHONE (TOUCHSCREEN) WITHOUT THE PHONE, LOVE YOU APPLE :D !!!

aswitcher
Aug 22, 2007, 07:53 AM
YEEEES :D, IF THE NANO LOOKS LIKE THAT THE NEW "BIG" IPOD NEEDS TO BE AN IPHONE (TOUCHSCREEN) WITHOUT THE PHONE, LOVE YOU APPLE :D !!!

If they try and protect iPhone sales but staying with the same iPod interface as they have now they are going to get trumped by their competition over the next 12 months. I really hope they know that a 100GB touch screen ipod can only complement the iPhone, and wont cannibalize too many sales. Its all profit for Apple afterall. Fingers crossed.

macintel4me
Aug 22, 2007, 08:01 AM
Give me an iPod Shuffle with a click controls (no touchscreen) and wireless earbuds. I small screen would be a nice to have but not essential. I'm not getting another iPod until that comes out. All the current wires are really so un-Apple like. I don't care about having 8 hours of battery life for my one hour exercise routine.

iShak
Aug 22, 2007, 08:49 AM
aluminum again!!! *groans* don't know about you guys but aluminum on Nano looks absolutely hideous to me (shuffles look alright though) bring back the 1st gen Nano, plastic injected double layered shiny poly over plastic bodies and stainless steel backs ... AND white colour pleaseeeeeeee!!!

vandlism
Aug 22, 2007, 09:31 AM
All the current wires are really so un-Apple like.

Apple seems to be more about one cord instead of no cords. Not to mention that wireless earbuds would be lost, broken, and kill battery life.

bring back the 1st gen Nano, plastic injected double layered shiny poly over plastic bodies and stainless steel backs

Considering the original nano was essentially a rebirth of the original iPod, I don't know how many times they can "bring it back". Glass and aluminum are the new materials, less scratches and increased durability. Do you have any idea how many people absolutely love their minis?

Virgil-TB2
Aug 22, 2007, 09:58 AM
Look at the shadow/perspective of the blue and silver nano... Something's not right.Yeah, I noticed that too. It looks like the same original fake nano image might have been colourised and rotated around to make this image. The shadows seem inconsistent. On the other hand, while there is reason to hope these are fake, there is nothing definite about these glitches and it's still possible they are real.

Edit: I just saw a larger original here http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8030/nanospyshotvu1.png and they look quite fake at that resolution. The shadows for each are identical, but rotated around, except the black one's shadow was cut off. And I think I can even see a PShop "canvas" filter at work in the middle there. This is probably that guy at 9to5 who originally proposed this form factor playing a joke on his critics.

I sure hope these are fake, they are ugly with a capital "Ugh!" :eek:

2007 is the "year of Apple." They are doing so much this year, that if there ever was a time for them to make a major mis-step, now is the most likely. No one person or company is perfect and Apple hasn't made a bad product for a long long time now.

What I would like advocates of the new "squarePod" to explain, is why the shape change at all? If you rotate that screen 90 degrees, all the elements would fit into the current (much cooler looking) form factor of the nano.

So why make the thing fat and square at all?

Virgil-TB2
Aug 22, 2007, 10:29 AM
... I'd like Apple to add features like radio & BT audio. ....Bluetooth is always nice, but don't hold your breath waiting for a radio. People have been asking for this since the first iPod and it hasn't happened yet, mostly because it goes against Apple's design philosophy.

Apple is about quality, and iPods are about music. Radio, except for perhaps some Internet radio, is antithetical to that.

Radio is music for the trailerpark set, or geezers that failed to notice that radio is not what it used to be anymore. If FM radio was still ... well, FM radio, instead of simply a higher frequency version of AM radio, then maybe. But those days are long gone.

Where I live, the only people I see with radios are a couple of older guys who walk around the neighborhood with transistor radios on strings around their necks, blaring out the news to all and sundry because their hearing is failing. That's the core market for portable radio today.

iPods are luxury devices for music lovers, not folks that want to listen to Rush Limbaugh, or "catch the ball game" on the way to work. :rolleyes:

No way will Apple ever put radio on the iPod. They are happy enough that cheap Radio adapters for iPods are available so they don't have to add the functionality themselves.

milo
Aug 22, 2007, 10:51 AM

People will complain no matter what.

If the size stays the same "It's too small to watch video!!!"

If the screen gets bigger "Now it's too big!!!"

Personally, I hope it has video playback. I'd be fine with a modest increase in size for a bigger screen but I'd also be fine with a smaller nano and the same size screen.

These things are for watching video on the go or outputting video to an external screen. As long as there's video output I don't care how small the screen is.

Obviously nobody knows specifics, but if the rumors are true, these nanos aren't "fat", they're the same width as now, just less tall. If they're smaller than before, no need for a screen on a shuffle.

milo
Aug 22, 2007, 11:00 AM
What I would like advocates of the new "squarePod" to explain, is why the shape change at all? If you rotate that screen 90 degrees, all the elements would fit into the current (much cooler looking) form factor of the nano.

So why make the thing fat and square at all?

First, it sounds like it's not "fat". It's not supposed to be wider than the current one (at least rumor sez), the same size just shorter. If it is wider, that means the screen is bigger than before, which would also be an upside.

And why? Because it's smaller, and unless you make the screen smaller, the only way to shrink it is to take out the unused vertical space.

It's true, you could rotate the screen 90░, but that would be a pretty radical change and potentially a more controversial one than changing the shape. I bet we'll see "landscape" ipods in the future, but only on the touchscreen models.

I don't see why shape is more important than size. Do most consumers really want a bigger device for no other reason than it would be in a shape that is more "pretty"?

When the shuffle got updated, it went from a skinny rectangle to more of a square. Did that hurt sales? I'm not sure why people think doing it with the nano would be any different.

Virgil-TB2
Aug 22, 2007, 12:59 PM
... it sounds like it's not "fat". It's not supposed to be wider than the current one ... If it is wider, that means the screen is bigger than before, which would also be an upside. ... It's true, you could rotate the screen 90░, but that would be a pretty radical change ... I don't see why shape is more important than size. Do most consumers really want a bigger device for no other reason than it would be in a shape that is more "pretty"?...The issue here is design. One of the basic things they teach you in design school is that squares appear "fat" to the eye, whereas longer rectangles appear "thinner." This is why that same rectangular proportion is used for doors, windows, and pretty much everything else, and why short squarish things are hardly ever considered good-looking. This might seem picky to some but Apple lives and breathes these kinds of design aesthetics.

A wider design is a step backwards because it means all new adapters and all new charging equipment. It makes all the previous accessories either obsolete or ungainly at best. There has to be a good design reason for taking such a large usability hit and I don't see one.

If we assume the width is the same and the device is just shorter, then it also doesn't make any sense design-wise because the screen can't get any bigger unless it *is* rotated. The chief difference of this "squarePod" design screen-wise is that it looks a bit more like a widescreen format. To do that without increasing the width would make the screen even smaller than it currently is, so we are back to a possibly wider iPod again.

There is also no reason to take height off of a current iPod nano because it is already a tiny svelte object to begin with and already pushes the boundaries of how small a useful screen can be.

Turning the screen sidewise is far from a radical change IMO, it's more like the most practical solution to the problem that does not involve huge design concessions. This is not a desktop device but one you hold in your hand. The issues here are easily seeing the screen while operating the controls, horizontal or vertical is not really relevant on a device that you can easily hold either way.

I am not saying this is *not* the future nano, I am just saying it's a classic "bad design." It makes the nano excessively unattractive, for reasons that I don't think a real designer would consider sufficient. There are always compromises in design, but to me this is a cheap, easy compromise and not Apple's style at all.

The only way I could see this flying is if it's actually a replacement for the shuffle. A sort of dirt cheap 90 dollar iPod "pico" or something. But even then, as a design, and strictly from an Industrial design perspective, the current Shuffle is a far better design.

Kugo
Aug 25, 2007, 12:59 PM
I'm going to buy one in every colour! I love my iPods!

fabianjj
Aug 28, 2007, 04:57 PM
If theese images actually shows the real re-design, i think we can be sure that it WILL be a lot wider than the 2G Nano, considering the size of the click wheel, i mean if that screen is as big as previusly the wheel would be tiny as hell. I'd prefer either that one (i'm not gonna bother mention who made them or in which post) with a slightly bigger nano to fit a slightly bigger video display, or the one with a widescreen when tilted 90o.

because this squarepod looks ridiculus (unless it is the new design of the iPod Video)

homeboy
Aug 28, 2007, 05:11 PM
(unless it is the new design of the iPod Video)

Might be the case i.e the iPod Mini. Creative has unleached their potential iPod Mini competitor today. 2.5 inch screen, 4,8 and 16GB flavours(plus SDslot) and plays the following formats:
MP3, WMA (w/ DRM), AAC, or Audible audio,WMV, DivX, Xvid, MJPEG and TiVo to Go video files.

Add an 8GB SD card and you've got 24GB to your disposal.

Quite attractive too and the same size as a credit card.:
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/creative-zen-08-28.jpghttp://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/creative-zen-08-28-2.jpg

SactoGuy18
Aug 28, 2007, 09:02 PM
Quite attractive too and the same size as a credit card.:

Sorry, no sale. I don't want to view videos on a screen smaller than the current 5.5G iPod video screen! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/mad/011.gif

homeboy
Aug 29, 2007, 05:08 AM
Sorry, no sale. I don't want to view videos on a screen smaller than the current 5.5G iPod video screen! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/mad/011.gif

It has a 2.5 inch screen just like the G5.5 iPod.

MacPanda
Sep 5, 2007, 05:46 PM
the colours are really vile - i don't know what possessed them to be honest they are really bad - i love the bold vibrant colours, these colours are pastel shades and really not very confident.

i just stocked up on an orange shuffle :D that was one short lived model - what a shame it was so funky.