PDA

View Full Version : Work with Prototype Apple and NVidia Products

MacRumors
Aug 6, 2003, 06:04 PM
gtrinity notes that Hotjobs.com (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/jobseeker/jobsearch/job_detail.html?job_id=J860892CA&search_url=%2Fjobseeker%2Fjobsearch%2Fsearch_results. html%3Fkeywords_all%3Dapple%26type%3Dmain%26metro_area%3D1%26updated_since%3Danytime%26country1%3DUS
A%26page_number%3D1%26order_by%3Ddate%26reverse_order%3D0) lists a new job offering from NVidia.

"OS X DEVICE DRIVER ENGINEER":

Help design and implement new features for NVIDIA's graphics drivers for OS X. Work with the latest Apple equipment and NVIDIA GPUs before they are released, in a cutting edge environment with a top-notch team.

arn
Aug 6, 2003, 06:06 PM
posted because it was interesting.

page 2 because it doesn't really mean much.

arn

gtrinity
Aug 6, 2003, 06:14 PM
What? No recognition? Man does not live by salary alone. :)

jaedreth
Aug 6, 2003, 06:16 PM
Of course not, pre-release products, which means NDA's out the A$$ (from both companies).

Jaedreth

arn
Aug 6, 2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by gtrinity
What? No recognition? Man does not live by salary alone. :)

heh... sorry - by the nature of a rumor site, you have to fill in the username field to explicitly want "credit". Otherwise I assume anonymity.

arn

bobindashadows
Aug 6, 2003, 06:21 PM
They just got about 21309487235 applicants for being able to work with pre-release apple stuff. Just the satisfaction of knowing stuff that other people don't is worth the job (provided an ample salary..)

aaron128
Aug 6, 2003, 08:16 PM
Writing device drivers is supposed to be one of the most painful and annoying things ever. It is a testament to my insane love of Apple hardware that I am considering learning how to write drivers for OS X.

cb911
Aug 6, 2003, 08:26 PM
i guess it would be sweet to see all the hardware before it was released, but then a place like macrumors would become boring for you. :p

MrMacMan
Aug 6, 2003, 08:34 PM
Yay, Maybe *finally* my GeForce 4 MX can live up to the PC version.

Comeon, driver improvments are ggoodd.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 6, 2003, 08:51 PM
I'm thinking that this is not necessarily for the consumer Nvidia cards.

Forget the GForce cards, lets see some of the high end cards on a Mac. Its bound to happen and having a $2k Quadro card would be sweet. (Its not for games....)

http://www.nvidia.com/page/products.html

http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx.html

Good news indeed - only bad thing is that they're still hiring people. It would have been better to know that they're ready to go to market with these things....

D

DeusOmnis
Aug 6, 2003, 09:10 PM
I'm just glad they're hiring. The more cool stuff we can get for mac, the better. I want better drivers for my GF4 Ti 4600.. w00t!

bennetsaysargh
Aug 6, 2003, 09:21 PM
NDAs would prevent you from saying everything, but it would stil be cool:p

aaron128
Aug 6, 2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by DeusOmnis
I'm just glad they're hiring. The more cool stuff we can get for mac, the better. I want better drivers for my GF4 Ti 4600.. w00t!

I have that card, too, and I love it. What sort of problems have you run into with it?

AppleMatt
Aug 6, 2003, 10:56 PM
ohhhh I hope this brings better drivers for the Alu PowerBooks, they're rubbush at the mo.

AppleMatt

iJon
Aug 7, 2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I'm thinking that this is not necessarily for the consumer Nvidia cards.

Forget the GForce cards, lets see some of the high end cards on a Mac. Its bound to happen and having a $2k Quadro card would be sweet. (Its not for games....)

http://www.nvidia.com/page/products.html

http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx.html

Good news indeed - only bad thing is that they're still hiring people. It would have been better to know that they're ready to go to market with these things....

D
maybe thats possibly why they are hiring. this will help nvidia out with winning the mac market back with these better drivers. they will probably do more than ati.

iJon

ssamani
Aug 7, 2003, 07:49 AM
Not really sure how these things work, but would drivers for high end video cards help Pixar to move? Could or is Renderman be sped up by using a 3D graphics accelerator like Quartz Extreme?

Sanj

Mr. Anderson
Aug 7, 2003, 07:53 AM
Pixar would definitely benefit - but it wouldn't be all for renderman, but the modeling tools.

D

ZildjianKX
Aug 7, 2003, 09:55 AM
I don't think Pixar uses NVIDIA at all for their "farms", do they?

blogo
Aug 7, 2003, 01:35 PM
Why cant they make the pc cards mac compitable?

jaedreth
Aug 7, 2003, 01:44 PM
Because they need *Drivers*.

Also, these cards are *designed* for use with DirectX, not OpenGL.

So they have to make a rev.

And they usually wimpify it.

I hope they make Mac drivers for those Workstation level cards, the Quadro 3000... SWEET! ;)

Put one of those in a bad boy G5 Workstation.

Jaedreth

bobindashadows
Aug 7, 2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by jaedreth
Because they need *Drivers*.

Also, these cards are *designed* for use with DirectX, not OpenGL.

So they have to make a rev.

And they usually wimpify it.

I hope they make Mac drivers for those Workstation level cards, the Quadro 3000... SWEET! ;)

Put one of those in a bad boy G5 Workstation.

Jaedreth

Yes, and we dreadfully need new NVidia Drivers. My G4 has a GeForce 3 in it, and it runs plenty good on games like Quake 3, reasonable on America's Army, about 50fps on Deus Ex...

But it runs Diablo 2 slower than my friends 350Mhz iMac.

Think about that for a second. It does not make sense. *struggles not to break into south park quote*... The blizzard web page cites bad Nvidia drivers and say it may be fixed in the next D2 update. But, why on earth would it run slower on a 64MB GeForce 3 than an 8MB Ati Rage 128? (I think its 8MB. I DOUBT its 16..) If this new job fixes D2 then I will be a happy man.

elmimmo
Aug 8, 2003, 02:04 AM
Accelerated MPEG-2 decoding for Quicktime? Might we have some decent DVD player that uses the video card instead of the processor to decode DVDs, then?

Why my iMac 450 w/ 512 MB still sucks at it while my PIII 450 w/256 MB and an oldy TNT2 flies?

Eniregnat
Aug 8, 2003, 01:39 PM
I know two people that worked as driver engineers. They both started off as contract employees, and were offered “permanent” positions after their jobs were done. One stayed with Apple for a time and later left to form a company that created the FPC (floating point calculator) for the early Macs and SunDial (the world’s slowest media player. He did well with both ventures. The other person became a contract software test engineer (He used the bomb app.) and was never offered a permanent positions again.

Both said that the work was just that, lots of work. There was a great deal of pressure and the money wasn’t worth the effort, but the job opportunities were. Everybody at Apple doesn’t speak about anything unless told, and the Icon Garden is as scary as it looks on QT. The fun corporate culture is dependent on who ever your supervisor is.

Oh, driver development often starts with out seeing or using the product in question. From what I was told, as I was told in non-specific terms, the engineers receive a set of specifications from both the manufacturer and Apple and they may start coding with the final product being present. I would guess that some sort of virtual device is created to test the interface until they receive the prototypes.

I have nothing but respect for people that create interfaces between hardware and software.

Megaquad
Aug 9, 2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by elmimmo
Accelerated MPEG-2 decoding for Quicktime? Might we have some decent DVD player that uses the video card instead of the processor to decode DVDs, then?

Why my iMac 450 w/ 512 MB still sucks at it while my PIII 450 w/256 MB and an oldy TNT2 flies?
DVD Player uses graphics card acceleration. What is wrong with your DVD playback? Works fine and smooth to me on 350 MHz iMac

elmimmo
Aug 9, 2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Megaquad
DVD Player uses graphics card acceleration. What is wrong with your DVD playback? Works fine and smooth to me on 350 MHz iMac

I have checked in about 10 iMacs DV 450 with an ATI Rage Pro 128, and all behave the same. While they do fine at most scene, ones with fast movement on them suffere from severe tearing and interlacing (even if the DVD is progressive), Please try again with movies that include such scenes. There is a notable difference if you try to play them in Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X. Mac OS 9 behaves notably better, probably because the DVD app can take more processor than its X sibbling can.

According to ATI's page on that card (http://mirror.ati.com/products/faqs/macrage128faq.html#13) it did not accelerate DVD playback when it launched although the card was stated to be able to do it. ATI blamed Apple for not including MPEG-2 playback at QuickTime, because their drivers were Quicktime based.

Only the latest mac RADEON 8500 and such report in their specs to accelerate DVD playback.

And besides any technical mumbo-jumbo, there is still the fact that that PIII outperforms every iMac DV 450 I have put my hands on.

Capt Underpants
Aug 10, 2003, 02:36 PM
Talk about a cool job.... Working with future Apple and nvidea products before they are even announced! That would be cool. What wouldl really stink is tht you couldn't tell anyone

bobindashadows
Aug 10, 2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Capt Underpants
Talk about a cool job.... Working with future Apple and nvidea products before they are even announced! That would be cool. What wouldl really stink is tht you couldn't tell anyone
Hehe.. from what i understand, writing device drivers is the worst computer job imaginable... I mean, it's incredibly important, because if you write crappy drivers then your graphics card doesn't provide max performance (which current NVidia drivers are guilty of)

RoadMonkey
Aug 15, 2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
I don't think Pixar uses NVIDIA at all for their "farms", do they?

Pixar would not care what video card is in their "farms". Programs such as Maya, Softimage, etc.. use raw CPU power to calculate the frames when rendering. A graphics card is only necessary during the modeling process, where you are rendering low res images real time.

- Eric

Ge4-ce
Aug 17, 2003, 04:49 AM
when working with 3D, a good graphical card is the max...

I would definitely buy a nVidia High-end workstation card for the powermac G5.. This would make it the ultimate workstation!

it is this kind of stuff that held pixar back from buying Mac's for 3D.. they have a lot of them for Photoshop and stuff,.. but for Modeling, AND ANIMATING! you need a high-end grafix card. (at least at their level) and until now,.. there are no such cards..

Because pixar showed such an enthousiasm about the new G5's,.. I guess that nVidia or/and ATI are converting their pro-cards to the Mac...

I will wait until that card is available before buying a My new Mac...

Ge4-ce

AppleMatt
Aug 17, 2003, 08:47 AM
So is the general belief then that this is only for new drivers, or will it affect all cards?

AppleMatt

Ge4-ce
Aug 17, 2003, 05:07 PM
That, I actually do not know..

In the past, and today, I did not compare pc-grafix vs mac-grafix based on drivers.. I did not knew that there was such a big difference in performance just because of the drivers!

I thought it was only the type of card, that made the power..

Still,

It would be nice to have the pro cards..

And when reading between the lines on various locations.. I seems that they are working on it..

Ge4-ce