PDA

View Full Version : Refurbished iPhones

MacRumors
Aug 20, 2007, 07:46 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple is now offering refurbished iPhones (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=46D9D6BE&nclm=Certified%20iPhone) at the Apple Store.

Both 4GB and 8GB models are available for $399 and $499, respectively. This is $100 off their full retail price.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/20/refurbished-iphones/)

Spanky Deluxe
Aug 20, 2007, 07:47 AM
Sweet! I wonder how long they'll last though!

slidingjon
Aug 20, 2007, 07:52 AM
That's pretty sweet. Still. there's nothing like opening a box of a brand-spanking-new apple product.

lofight
Aug 20, 2007, 07:59 AM
Nice, but still would want to have it brand new, with the smell and so... but big price change.

Dan Peterson
Aug 20, 2007, 08:13 AM
Now that is awesome! As much as I'd like to get a brand-spanking-new one with $100 off that means I'll be able to order it like a month sooner than planned! :D

Mac-Addict
Aug 20, 2007, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't buy one from the online store, I would be to scared of it coming all scratched and broken.

Buschmaster
Aug 20, 2007, 08:28 AM
My friend just bought a refurb iPod and I thought that he bought it brand new until he told me. It looked pristine. If there was a problem like scratches with it I'm sure you could return it right away.

This will be my route with a $100 discount flying my way.

Now my contract just has to end.

MovieCutter
Aug 20, 2007, 08:28 AM
Nice, but still would want to have it brand new, with the smell and so... but big price change.

So you'd pay $100 more for the smell? :rolleyes:

Buschmaster
Aug 20, 2007, 08:32 AM
Remember, MovieCutter... Some of these people probably played a ton more for the color of their MacBook, too.;)

swordfish5736
Aug 20, 2007, 08:38 AM
one of those phones is probably my fixed one they replaced

lofight
Aug 20, 2007, 08:41 AM

If i had the money i would pay 100 more just for the smell, but i don't have an iphone because not really a need and of living in Europe.

33scottie33
Aug 20, 2007, 08:49 AM
Well, at least Apple is being honest. They could just repackage them and sell as new like some manfacs do.

I bought a new Toshiba (checked the tape) from CC a few months ago and the screen was scratched up with fingerprints on it. Obviously not new.

Benjamindaines
Aug 20, 2007, 09:31 AM
Well, at least Apple is being honest. They could just repackage them and sell as new like some manfacs do.

I bought a new Toshiba (checked the tape) from CC a few months ago and the screen was scratched up with fingerprints on it. Obviously not new.

Uhh I'm 99.9% sure that's illegal...

shadowfax
Aug 20, 2007, 09:41 AM
Uhh I'm 99.9% sure that's illegal...
make that 100%.

Refurbs are generally units that are returned before being used (either unopened or literally showing not one sign of usage), or they are devices that fail the suite of stress tests that they have to get through to be certified to sell. My dad used to work for Dell, and they would put the machines on this "shaker" to simulate them being bounced around in their box and even being mildly dropped. I believe they run computer hardware/software tests after that. I would imagine that something similar is done with the iPhones. When a device fails any test the first time, they attempt to repair the problem, or just re-test it. If if passes the second time, they sell it as a refurb. I believe that unused returns also have to be re-tested.

daveschroeder
Aug 20, 2007, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't buy one from the store, I would be to scared of it coming all scratched and broken.

When Apple sells refurbished iPods and iPhones, they come in a completely new enclosure, and sealed in the box, just like a brand new iPod or iPhone. They have their own 1 year warranty. As far as appearance and packaging, you really can't tell it's not brand new. Most of these will have come from the statistically small number of iPhones that may have been DOA, needed repairs, or had some other kind of service issue. Yes, it's refurbished and legally not new. But it's not going to come "all scratched and broken".

Benjamindaines
Aug 20, 2007, 09:55 AM
When Apple sells refurbished iPods and iPhones, they come in a completely new enclosure, and sealed in the box, just like a brand new iPod or iPhone. They have their own 1 year warranty. As far as appearance and packaging, you really can't tell it's not brand new. Most of these will have come from the statistically small number of iPhones that may have been DOA, needed repairs, or had some other kind of service issue. Yes, it's refurbished and legally not new. But it's not going to come "all scratched and broken".

Can you buy AppleCare for it?

thejadedmonkey
Aug 20, 2007, 09:59 AM
Can you buy AppleCare for it?

Yes!

Squonk
Aug 20, 2007, 09:59 AM
$100 off is better than I was expecting. $399 for a 4GB phone is starting to tempt me. I really do dislike my S/E phone. what to do, what to do.... (rhetorical) :)

iJon
Aug 20, 2007, 10:03 AM
I would be willing to bet no one could tell the difference between a new and refurbished model. Both come in new packaging, no scratches, full warranty and operates exactly the same as a new one. This is an excellent savings for future iPhone users.

jon

AJsAWiz
Aug 20, 2007, 10:06 AM
Sweet! I wonder how long they'll last though!

Not long I bet ;)

duky
Aug 20, 2007, 10:10 AM
When Apple sells refurbished iPods and iPhones, they come in a completely new enclosure, and sealed in the box, just like a brand new iPod or iPhone. They have their own 1 year warranty.

Um, you might wanna rephrase that - all refurbished products only have 90 day warranty. Including the iPhone.

Scratch that- 90 day telephone support is what I saw. They have the 1 year limited warranty..

Sweetfeld28
Aug 20, 2007, 10:23 AM
This is very tempting. However, i am still going to hold out for the REV. 2, or the Nano iPhone [which ever comes first].

cleanup
Aug 20, 2007, 11:01 AM
$100 off is better than I was expecting. $399 for a 4GB phone is starting to tempt me. I really do dislike my S/E phone. what to do, what to do.... (rhetorical) :)

You dislike your S/E?! Why?! Beyond the iPhone I think Sony Ericsson makes the best mobile phones. Even better than the iPhone for some folks.

Quick question: Does Apple Canada also sell refurbs? If they're as good as you say I might jump on one for my next Apple product.

MrCrowbar
Aug 20, 2007, 11:02 AM
Remember, MovieCutter... Some of these people probably played a ton more for the color of their MacBook, too.;)

hey! :D
Well, at least my blackbook doesn't change colors on the palm rest.

MDiddy
Aug 20, 2007, 11:10 AM
I would be willing to bet no one could tell the difference between a new and refurbished model. Both come in new packaging, no scratches, full warranty and operates exactly the same as a new one. This is an excellent savings for future iPhone users.

jon

Refurbs come in plain brown boxes from Apple. Not original packaging.

Squonk
Aug 20, 2007, 11:11 AM
You dislike your S/E?! Why?! Beyond the iPhone I think Sony Ericsson makes the best mobile phones. Even better than the iPhone for some folks.

I have a long list...

* Poor sound quality
* when I sync with iSync, it often doubles all of the entries in AddressBook and on the phone
* slow phone performance - the time it takes for the phone to change menus after I press the button

KindredMAC
Aug 20, 2007, 11:29 AM

Quick question: Does Apple Canada also sell refurbs? If they're as good as you say I might jump on one for my next Apple product.

I have a W810i and I have to say, I would much rather have an iPhone after playing with it on multiple occasions:
iPhone PROS in comparison to my W810i:
- MUCH MUCH MUCH better internet experience! Sony cannot make a web browser to save their life, I should know I have a PS3 also and hate using it to surf the web as much as I hate surfing the web on my W810i.
- Overall ease of use pertaining to the GUI.
- Cool factor.
- WiFi
- Syncs with iTunes. And for those who are going to start crying out to try "ItunesMyWalkman".... save your breath.... it sucks.... royally.
- Ease of Picture taking.
- Keyboard
- It works with my Mac set up much more fluently than any of my Sony items.

W810i PROS (at this moment, I assume a lot of these will go byebye with a simple update from Apple):
- Smaller form factor
- BlueTooth connectability to my Macs for file transfer and data communications. (fixable with software I believe)
- Games (give it time, again)
- Video camera
- Flashlight (something my wife has told me that I can live without by easily buying a cheap pocket/keychain flashlight !LOL!)
- Customizable ringtones (another software update)

As you can see, my W810i has 4 items out of 6 that can be fixed within the next month if Apple brings out a chunky update. The only 2 items, smaller form factor and flashlight, are negligible really.... just personal things that I don't think 95% of cell phone users out there would really care about.

33scottie33
Aug 20, 2007, 11:47 AM
So there's no way to tell the difference between new and refurb?

Ebay buyers beware!

We all know that Ebay sellers sell refurbs as NIB anyway!

Squonk
Aug 20, 2007, 11:59 AM
So there's no way to tell the difference between new and refurb?

Ebay buyers beware!

We all know that Ebay sellers sell refurbs as NIB anyway!

Well Apple ships it's refurbs in brown boxes instead of the fancy ones like new items. Also, the serial numbers and the sticker identify the device as being a refurb.

For that matter, I wouldn't buy anything *NEW* which is that expensive off eBay anyway.

mobilehavoc
Aug 20, 2007, 12:06 PM
I think refurbs like these are GREAT DEALS! It all depends on how much $100 means to you. Personally I'm happy paying $599 like I did for an 8GB rather than a refurb just knowing it's brand new. Same concept applies to things like new and used cars. If you want to save the money, this is a great option but if $100 is not a big deal then why not get one new?

ghall
Aug 20, 2007, 12:07 PM
YAY!!! Now it's a bit more realistic for me to get one. I could care less about the box, the iPhone itself is what counts.

Passante
Aug 20, 2007, 12:38 PM
Um, you might wanna rephrase that - all refurbished products only have 90 day warranty. Including the iPhone.

Scratch that- 90 day telephone support is what I saw. They have the 1 year limited warranty..

Nope. It states 1 year on the refurb phone page.

activeuk
Aug 20, 2007, 12:40 PM
Do u still have to get a contract with this ones?

VoodooDaddy
Aug 20, 2007, 12:43 PM
Im too lazy to search for this, so maybe someone here can answer this for me. Is it true that the phone is essentially locked down until you activate it? Seems I read that alot of functions werent usable until you activated and started new service with ATT. Im not talking about phone usage and mobile web/email, obviously without service with ATT those things arent usable.

I still have about 10 months with Tmobile (crys at the thought of renewing that 2yr contract last year to get a mild discount on a new phone). I have 3 lines with TMO so Im not about to pay $600 ETF.

But, Id still like to have an iPhone to use around the house with wifi, and just use it for a full screen iPod. Once my TMO contract is up Ill switch over to ATT.

Anyway, as I said, is the phone really locked down before you activate?

sionharris
Aug 20, 2007, 12:50 PM
Nope. It states 1 year on the refurb phone page.

Did you bother to read past the first paragraph of duky's post?

Thought not.

ryanw
Aug 20, 2007, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't buy one from the online store, I would be to scared of it coming all scratched and broken.

It's actually safer to purchase refurbished products than new products. Apple has an intense quality assurance and warranty on refurbished products. They don't want it back any more than you want to send it back. They replace anything and everything that could be an issue, it might as well be brand new.

There are tools available to unlock the phone without activating the iphone. I don't have an iphone, but I saw this article.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/04/dvd-jon-whips-up-a-way-to-activate-iphone-without-atandt/

DesignerOnMac
Aug 20, 2007, 01:13 PM
I have a long list...

* Poor sound quality
* when I sync with iSync, it often doubles all of the entries in AddressBook and on the phone
* slow phone performance - the time it takes for the phone to change menus after I press the button

Have a friend that has one. Clamshell type. Nothing but problems. Screen went dead in May. Had to have new wiring put in. Now 3 months later phone is doing the same thing!! I do think S/E is better then Moto though.....

corywoolf
Aug 20, 2007, 02:08 PM

jon

The device itself will look like new. The boxes they come in are normally not the same as a new one. When I bought two iPod shuffles refurbished, they sent me one small brown UPS like box with only one of the shuffles inside. I contacted Apple and told them they forgot to send one of the iPods. They sent me out another shuffle. I opened it and found they didn't include headphones with it. I called Apple again, they said they could send me out headphones and that it would take a few days. I was giving these to some friends for graduation gifts. :D I needed another pair of headphones quickly, so I bought some from Best Buy. I got the FM Remote by Apple. I kept the remote for myself and slipped the new headphones in with the shuffle. I called Apple and told them I bought some, and told them these were the only Apple headphones Best Buy had in stock. I ended up getting all my money refunded and got to keep the shuffles. It turned out to be good customer service on Apple's part, and two free gifts for my friends, which of course they thought I bought them full price. So sometimes Apple screws up with the refurbs, but their customer service rocks to make up for it (most of the time).

iJon
Aug 20, 2007, 02:30 PM
Edit: Other than the box it seems everything should be the same.

I stand corrected.

jon

ejbenjamin
Aug 20, 2007, 03:21 PM
...So sometimes Apple screws up with the refurbs, but their customer service rocks to make up for it (most of the time).

Same experiences here. I bought a refurb iPod Shuffle last month and the headphones were missing from the box. Apple sent a replacement set and the box arrived within two days.

And a few years ago, I bought a refurb PowerMac G5. The website said it would arrive with 256MB memory, but when it arrived it had 512MB.

ross.32
Aug 20, 2007, 03:28 PM
And a few years ago, I bought a refurb PowerMac G5. The website said it would arrive with 256MB memory, but when it arrived it had 512MB.

I am betting that you didn't call back and complain about that one :D.

sJv
Aug 20, 2007, 03:49 PM
I"ll give you the lazy answer: yes.

-steve

Im too lazy to search for this, so maybe someone here can answer this for me. Is it true that the phone is essentially locked down until you activate it? Seems I read that alot of functions werent usable until you activated and started new service with ATT. Im not talking about phone usage and mobile web/email, obviously without service with ATT those things arent usable.

I still have about 10 months with Tmobile (crys at the thought of renewing that 2yr contract last year to get a mild discount on a new phone). I have 3 lines with TMO so Im not about to pay $600 ETF.

But, Id still like to have an iPhone to use around the house with wifi, and just use it for a full screen iPod. Once my TMO contract is up Ill switch over to ATT.

xlosltove777
Aug 20, 2007, 03:56 PM
Refurbs come in plain brown boxes from Apple. Not original packaging.
I wouldn't say all of them. Awhile back ago I got a refurbed iPod Mini and it came in a plain brown box but after opening that up was the regular iPod Mini box.

Squonk
Aug 20, 2007, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't say all of them. Awhile back ago I got a refurbed iPod Mini and it came in a plain brown box but after opening that up was the regular iPod Mini box.

Hmm. Well, my PowerBook and AirPort Extreme (n) came in plain brown boxes. I guess the iPods are different now with their plastic boxes. I wonder how the iPhones will ship...

synth3tik
Aug 20, 2007, 04:43 PM
That is a really good price. Looking at other Apple refurbs, this has to be one of the best deals.

gcortega
Aug 20, 2007, 05:06 PM
If i had the money i would pay 100 more just for the smell, but i don't have an iphone because not really a need and of living in Europe.

Hahah That's hilarious. The smell is actually really good. I actually smell my box a couple times a day :)

doyouknowv
Aug 20, 2007, 05:09 PM
Bought.

Out of curiosity...

If I'm having trouble (perhaps the same as some of you had when you purchased your iphone) can I just take the phone into an Apple store and have it replaced like you guys did, or will I need to go through the mail?

PS: I'm pretty sure with this discount you can now get a free blackberry curve off of Amazon with new activation, and sell it on ebay for $400. Basically, you now can get a free refub'd 4 Gig with new activation.

gukie
Aug 20, 2007, 07:09 PM
Bought.

PS: I'm pretty sure with this discount you can now get a free blackberry curve off of Amazon with new activation, and sell it on ebay for $400. Basically, you now can get a free refub'd 4 Gig with new activation.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but after looking at Amazon's page, under the conditional agreement it says you cant "4) not change your AT&T service rate plan to a lower monthly service rate--this includes canceling or removing required PDA, BlackBerry, or smartphone features after your product has shipped" So it looks like that might not be an option. Anyone have any success with this?

imwoblin
Aug 20, 2007, 07:13 PM
Apple has one of the best refurb product deals in th biz. I have purchased everything from iPods to iMacs via their refurb program. I could never tell the product was refurbished as it always looks like new, with the added plus of a new product warranty and Apple care availability. Apple's product goes through a renewal process and its as good as brand new for less moola. You wont be dissapointed.

mobilehavoc
Aug 20, 2007, 07:24 PM
Apple has one of the best refurb product deals in th biz. I have purchased everything from iPods to iMacs via their refurb program. I could never tell the product was refurbished as it always looks like new, with the added plus of a new product warranty and Apple care availability. Apple's product goes through a renewal process and its as good as brand new for less moola. You wont be dissapointed.

I agree it's a good deal but if I didn't already own an iPhone I'd still buy a new one purely because if I'm spending $500, it's not a huge deal to spend $600 for something brand new.

I'm fortunate that I'm in a position where I can make that decision.

derivativemusic
Aug 20, 2007, 10:15 PM
Sorry if I'm cynical, but are they dumping extra stock of this model to make way for a new one - one that isn't a complete football bat because of the EDGE nonsense? Refurbs do have a habit of appearing when a new model is coming out.

In any case, this makes those losers who waited in line for days even sillier...

coryetzkorn
Aug 21, 2007, 12:46 AM
I just ordered an 8gb refurb online. I can't wait! I was originally planning on holding out for the second version, but this was too good to pass up. When the new version comes out, I'll just sell my current iPhone and get the new one cause AT&T said there would be no additional fees if i upgraded my iPhone.

I'm not too worried about EDGE because I have WIFI at school and at home.... the two places I use it the most. Going from 30Gb to 8Gb will be hard, but I know I won't regret this decision.

doyouknowv
Aug 21, 2007, 01:25 AM
I was thinking of doing the same thing, but after looking at Amazon's page, under the conditional agreement it says you cant "4) not change your AT&T service rate plan to a lower monthly service rate--this includes canceling or removing required PDA, BlackBerry, or smartphone features after your product has shipped" So it looks like that might not be an option. Anyone have any success with this?

At worst you can get a free BlackJack from Wal Mart.com with no data plan and sell that on ebay for $250.

wnurse
Aug 21, 2007, 06:04 AM

Hmm, if you discover any manufacturer repackage an item and sell as new in the united states, report them immediately, it is against the law.

Apple is not doing anything special, they are following U.S law, just like every other major manufacturer has to.

Squonk
Aug 21, 2007, 08:50 AM
Sorry if I'm cynical, but are they dumping extra stock of this model to make way for a new one - one that isn't a complete football bat because of the EDGE nonsense? Refurbs do have a habit of appearing when a new model is coming out.

I don't buy that. Look, refurbs typically start appearing 6-8 weeks after a new model is released. Are you saying, that Apple is going to be updating the MBP's and iPhones in the next couple of weeks? Refurbs start showing up once :apple: has returned enough stock of them, had them refurbished and want to move out that inventory. Refurbs appearing is not directly proportional to new models coming out.

psingh01
Aug 21, 2007, 11:56 AM

In any case, this makes those losers who waited in line for days even sillier...

When has Apple ever introduced a new version of its product less than 2 months after it launched the original? These are just iPhones that people have returned for whatever reason.

derivativemusic
Aug 21, 2007, 12:16 PM
Oh, I don't think they're going to introduce a new model right away. But the EDGE network is a fatal flaw as far as I and many other people are concerned. My speculation is that most of the religious zealots who will buy anything from Apple have already bought their iPhones, and Apple could be clearing out stock to make way for a new 3G model - the one for rational customers - that'll be announced in a couple of months (in time for the holiday season).

psingh01
Aug 21, 2007, 03:02 PM
Oh, I don't think they're going to introduce a new model right away. But the EDGE network is a fatal flaw as far as I and many other people are concerned. My speculation is that most of the religious zealots who will buy anything from Apple have already bought their iPhones, and Apple could be clearing out stock to make way for a new 3G model - the one for rational customers - that'll be announced in a couple of months (in time for the holiday season).

Apple has gone over a year without upgrading the Mac Pro. They went how long before upgrading the iMac? Leopard has taken the longest of all the OSX's and still was delayed (for the iPhone no less)....yeah, if you just follow their pattern I think you can expect a 3G iPhone in 2009 at the earliest.

Squonk
Aug 21, 2007, 03:05 PM
Apple has gone over a year without upgrading the Mac Pro. They went how long before upgrading the iMac? Leopard has taken the longest of all the OSX's and still was delayed (for the iPhone no less)....yeah, if you just follow their pattern I think you can expect a 3G iPhone in 2009 at the earliest.

I'm thinking more like Q3 or Q4 2008. But certainly not before then...

isalex
Aug 21, 2007, 05:16 PM
Has anyone received their refurbished iPhone?

rowensiv
Aug 21, 2007, 11:21 PM
hey! :D
Well, at least my blackbook doesn't change colors on the palm rest.

hahaha..... i love my (white) macbook!! :cool:

derivativemusic
Aug 22, 2007, 01:01 PM

Never mind that the 8-core Mac Pro came out some time around April, I can't help thinking that this is "Life of Brian" logic (witches float, she floats, therefore she's a witch, let's burn her). :)

There are marketing issues (every product has to have a lifespan before the next one comes out), technical issues (a new OS is complicated as hell), and issues that depend on reality (3G being in place, or faster processors from other companies - now Intel, and before that Motorola). We have no way of knowing which ones come into play when.

Plus the story about pulling developers from OS 10.5 to have them work on the iPhone was pure distraction that everyone swallowed hook, line, and sinker. They turned a delay into more hype about the iPhone.

kuebby
Aug 22, 2007, 01:32 PM

Same thing happened to me at Best Buy. I bought a car head unit and when it was installed the guys found a CD in it. Must have been returned and BB just turned around and sold it as new.

coryetzkorn
Aug 22, 2007, 02:20 PM
My refurbished iPhone is coming Saturday. I'll be sure to tell you how it is.

Squonk
Aug 22, 2007, 02:22 PM
My refurbished iPhone is coming Saturday. I'll be sure to tell you how it is.

I look forward to hearing how good your refurb iPhone is! I'm somewhat jealous...

pyrex
Aug 22, 2007, 11:55 PM
just ordered a 4gb refurb, should be here on friday hopefully

Tramjaw
Aug 23, 2007, 03:29 AM
I'll get mine in the morning. My girlfriend just got her macbook (refurb) not too long ago and it looked brand new.. it even had that new mac smell. ;)

James L
Aug 23, 2007, 06:40 AM
the story about pulling developers from OS 10.5 to have them work on the iPhone was pure distraction that everyone swallowed hook, line, and sinker.

Nope. You are incorrect. Interesting theory though.

Sheradon
Aug 23, 2007, 06:41 AM

Yes, i have bought a few Ipods myself and they are always like new and everything is included, new hearbuds, manuals, 1 year warranty etc...

Like previously mentionned, refurbished products go through a rigourous process of control before being sold. Apple does not want their unsatisfied customers.

This is an extract of the refurb process (follow this link (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=989AF434&node=home/specialdeals) then click on refurbished process) they use for refurb products:

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

* is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
* is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
* is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
* is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
* includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
* is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
* is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.

Tramjaw
Aug 23, 2007, 11:12 AM
i just got my refurb iphone and it comes a cool little plain white box that says "iphone" and "apple certified" on the bottom. it looks almost like it would come normally only different color box.

Squonk
Aug 23, 2007, 11:22 AM
i just got my refurb iphone and it comes a cool little plain white box that says "iphone" and "apple certified" on the bottom. it looks almost like it would come normally only different color box.

Ok then. Cool! And another iPhone is in the wild... :D

psingh01
Aug 23, 2007, 11:37 AM

Can you comment on the quality of the screen and casing? Scratches? How new does it look?

Tramjaw
Aug 23, 2007, 11:54 AM
brand new. the case is flawless. i even gave it the smell test... didn't really smell like anything. :p the only thing that i really noticed was that the wall charger looks a little broken in.. but that doesn't really bother me at all. i already had one for my ipod.

doyouknowv
Aug 23, 2007, 12:14 PM
Can you comment on the quality of the screen and casing? Scratches? How new does it look?

I got mine and it looks brand new.

derivativemusic
Aug 23, 2007, 02:44 PM
Nope. You are incorrect. Interesting theory though.

How do you know?

James L
Aug 24, 2007, 10:08 AM
How do you know?

Multiple long term industry contacts and friends in Cupertino, most directly involved in the projects.

And where do you get your theory from?

derivativemusic
Aug 24, 2007, 12:48 PM
I got my theory - which I never claimed is anything but that, yet which I still hold as being very likely even if some engineers moved over - from a long term friend of the husband of the lesbian lover of the mother of the nursery school teacher whose niece knows a nurse who was in the emergency room when Richard Gere went in to have a mole removed.

James L
Aug 24, 2007, 03:04 PM
I got my theory - which I never claimed is anything but that, yet which I still hold as being very likely even if some engineers moved over...

Really? So now you are saying your thoughts were just a theory, or a guess? This sounds pretty definitive to me:

the story about pulling developers from OS 10.5 to have them work on the iPhone was pure distraction that everyone swallowed hook, line, and sinker.

At least you admit you have no factual basis for this theory.

Which we all pretty much knew anyway.

knelto
Aug 24, 2007, 03:16 PM
Never mind that the 8-core Mac Pro came out some time around April, I can't help thinking that this is "Life of Brian" logic (witches float, she floats, therefore she's a witch, let's burn her). :)

Holy Grail! So if she weighs the same as a duck, then she's made of wood! And therefore? A WITCH!!! BURN HER!!!

derivativemusic
Aug 24, 2007, 03:20 PM
I never claimed otherwise, James. Pure speculation - but it's based on having been around the block.

And knelto - I'm so embarrased! At one point I and all my friends could recite every Monte Python line from every film and show.

The scary part is that this was over 30 years ago now...

ebaylor
Aug 30, 2007, 09:45 AM
I have no way of proving this, but I am convinced that the majority of Apple refurbished products are indeed new. I have been an Apple buyer since 1995 and about 25% of our purchases have been refurbished. No one can tell the difference between new and refurbished. I think it is just a way for Apple to dump inventory without slashing prices. Apple is very clever and under no circumstances to they want to reduce the value of the Mac product.

derivativemusic
Aug 30, 2007, 10:01 AM
I don't know whether it's the majority, and it's certainly not always, but I've long suspected the same thing.

panzer06
Aug 30, 2007, 11:30 AM

A lot of times that is the retailer trying to avoid discounting the return.

Cheers,

Hawkeye411
Aug 30, 2007, 12:41 PM

If we could bottle that smell and sell it we would be MILLIONAIRES!!
:p :) :apple:

incipiokit
Aug 30, 2007, 04:35 PM
All refurbished iPhone would be max - 2 months old

MacBuyer
Sep 3, 2007, 12:41 AM

Straight from the Apple Store:

"Before we put a pre-owned Mac, iPod, iPhone, or Apple TV up for sale in Special Deals, it undergoes a rigorous refurbishment process to make sure it's up to Apple's tough quality standards. We back it with our standard one-year limited warranty. And you have the option of purchasing an AppleCare Protection Plan for it."

Bintoro
Sep 3, 2007, 03:30 AM
I took a chance a got one of these, could'nt be happier. It did have that new
smell. Beautiful, shiny and scratch-free. The warranty is for a year, but you can also purchase apple care plan with it. To set the record straight it did not
arrive in a plan brown box but an angelic white box with all the fixin's.
Activation took a total of 3 minutes everything sycned perfectly. Buying a refurbished apple product is like buying a certified used Lexus. Some of these
phones where returned loners, that apple released to testers, media, ect.
With that warranty and for the skimish apple care too you can't go wrong
Love, love this phone!:D

KYBOSH
Sep 3, 2007, 01:16 PM
I just ordered mine as soon as i heard that the unlocking software was coming.
For the record, refurb apple gear is INDISTINGUISHABLE from the new products. Only difference is they come in a brown box instead of the ones you are used to seeing.
I have a refurbed macbook and a refurbed imac 24". Nothing but rave reviews. No problems. Full 1 year warranty just like the new ones and at a discounts. My new (refurbed) iphone costs $100 less than if I would have picked it up at the mac store and it has free shipping. That's $100 in my pocket or that I can use for accessories like bluetooth.

Its ur money but I promise you will not be remotely unhappy with an Apple Refurbished Product.

Good Luck

derivativemusic
Sep 3, 2007, 01:40 PM
For the record, refurb apple gear is INDISTINGUISHABLE from the new products.

Usually, and that's why I'm suspicious that sometimes it's just a way to clear out old models. But for example I bought a refurb G5 a couple of years ago that had dirt smudges and fingerprints all over it, in fact it had twice as much RAM installed as it was supposed to have. I'm also guessing that one of the problems was that its DVD drive didn't read and write consistently, because I finally got tired of installing things from other machines over my network and replaced it, and everything's fine now.

Does that mean you're taking a chance with refurb machines? Probably not, because problems can - and in this case did - occur with new machines too. However, intermittent problems like funky DVD drives ($35 and two minutes to fix, once I got around to it) are very hard for the refurbishing techs to catch, especially when you think about how fast they must be working.

In this case I saved several hundred dollars, so it was well worth it.

Benjamindaines
Sep 3, 2007, 02:31 PM
Usually, and that's why I'm suspicious that sometimes it's just a way to clear out old models. But for example I bought a refurb G5 a couple of years ago that had dirt smudges and fingerprints all over it, in fact it had twice as much RAM installed as it was supposed to have. I'm also guessing that one of the problems was that its DVD drive didn't read and write consistently, because I finally got tired of installing things from other machines over my network and replaced it, and everything's fine now.

Does that mean you're taking a chance with refurb machines? Probably not, because problems can - and in this case did - occur with new machines too. However, intermittent problems like funky DVD drives ($35 and two minutes to fix, once I got around to it) are very hard for the refurbishing techs to catch, especially when you think about how fast they must be working.

In this case I saved several hundred dollars, so it was well worth it.

You probably got an old floor model from one of the stores.

derivativemusic
Sep 3, 2007, 04:29 PM
Could be, although it was a current model at the time I bought it.

KYBOSH
Sep 5, 2007, 03:34 PM
My refurb 4gb iphone shipped yesterday and today Steve drops the price by a $100. Now the 8gb refurb costs less than the refurb 4gb I just bought. I called fedex and had them do return to sender so I wouldnt have to wait for it to be delivered and be charged additional shipping charges.

Cybergypsy
Sep 5, 2007, 03:43 PM
I have no way of proving this, but I am convinced that the majority of Apple refurbished products are indeed new. I have been an Apple buyer since 1995 and about 25% of our purchases have been refurbished. No one can tell the difference between new and refurbished. I think it is just a way for Apple to dump inventory without slashing prices. Apple is very clever and under no circumstances to they want to reduce the value of the Mac product.

That was true until today.

KYBOSH
Sep 5, 2007, 04:29 PM
I just called and they gave me the $150 credit to my credit card (takes 3-5 business days to show). So I had Fedex undo the return to sender. Seeing that I paid more than $300 for my crackberry and the the 8gb is only $50 more I think I will give the 4gb to the Mrs. and get an 8gb for myself.

Thanks APPLE!

Now if we can only get a software only unlock....

ghall
Sep 5, 2007, 04:55 PM
My refurb 4gb iphone shipped yesterday and today Steve drops the price by a $100. Now the 8gb refurb costs less than the refurb 4gb I just bought. I called fedex and had them do return to sender so I wouldnt have to wait for it to be delivered and be charged additional shipping charges.

I'm in the same boat. I'm gonna try exchanging it at my local Apple Store when it comes in.

elcerrito494
Sep 5, 2007, 04:57 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'm gonna try exchanging it at my local Apple Store when it comes in.

Same here! PISSED!

petefza
Sep 5, 2007, 05:23 PM
I just called and they gave me the $150 credit to my credit card (takes 3-5 business days to show). So I had Fedex undo the return to sender. Seeing that I paid more than $300 for my crackberry and the the 8gb is only $50 more I think I will give the 4gb to the Mrs. and get an 8gb for myself.

Thanks APPLE!

Now if we can only get a software only unlock....

How did you get a $150 credit? Shouldn't it only be $100? What did you say to them?

iphone529
Sep 5, 2007, 05:29 PM
Just got off the phone with Apple. They gave me a $150 credit for the refurb 4bg iphone I bought last week. They were very nice about the whole thing. I would call asap though.

vega07
Sep 5, 2007, 05:31 PM
shouldn't you guys receive only a $100 refund + taxes?

Why the extra $50?

Squonk
Sep 5, 2007, 06:30 PM
I think the new refurb price on the 8GB phone is the bomb! $349.00. I'm very close to just pulling the trigger already... :D

pdpfilms
Sep 5, 2007, 06:35 PM
I think the new refurb price on the 8GB phone is the bomb! $349.00. I'm very close to just pulling the trigger already... :D

Do it! It felt so good..:D

Ramsos
Sep 5, 2007, 07:07 PM
I just ordered a $349'er and I can't wait. I paid for overnight delivery. why the hell not.:apple::D:apple::D:apple::cool:

ghall
Sep 5, 2007, 07:18 PM
Just got off the phone with Apple. They gave me a $150 credit for the refurb 4bg iphone I bought last week. They were very nice about the whole thing. I would call asap though.

I'm on right now. I've been waiting for 15 minutes so far. I don't remember ever being on hold with Apple so long. Well, $150 is worth the time, so I'm waiting. :)

cjb23
Sep 5, 2007, 10:35 PM
was on hold for 5, 10, 15, 30 min at various times during the day - could not get through...finally after 50min hold at ~600pm pac time i got through...the rep answers the call "iphone price adjustment right?" my response "yup"

ordered refurb Aug 20, recieved Aug 22 exactly 14 days ago:) -

no problem $150 price adjustment from $499 to $349

whew:D

KYBOSH
Sep 6, 2007, 01:53 AM

When I spoke to someone at the Apple Store she told me that they dont accept refurb returns. It has to be sent back to Apple.com. They wouldn't even issue the credit that i got with the customer service rep.

How did you get a $150 credit? Shouldn't it only be $100? What did you say to them?

You know, I actually thought about that too later on. I'm sure she misspoke when she said $150. But I wont know until i see the credit on my card. Im sure they have safeguards that prevent such slip ups though.

iphone529
Sep 6, 2007, 08:41 AM
I thought it was a slip up too when i got my $150 refund for my 4gb refurb, but if you look at it rationally the 8gb refurb is $150 off the standard price and they are not selling 4gb refurbs yet. So one could suggest that if they sold the 4gb refurb it would be $249.

ghall
Sep 6, 2007, 03:31 PM
I thought it was a slip up too when i got my $150 refund for my 4gb refurb, but if you look at it rationally the 8gb refurb is $150 off the standard price and they are not selling 4gb refurbs yet. So one could suggest that if they sold the 4gb refurb it would be $249.

I only got $100 off my 4GB refurb. What's up with that?

petefza
Sep 6, 2007, 03:35 PM
I only got $100 off my 4GB refurb. What's up with that?

Call back...they only gave me $100 yesterday too...then I called back today and they increased it to $150.

BennyK
Sep 6, 2007, 03:40 PM
How come it is $150 now? I thought it was $100?

petefza
Sep 6, 2007, 04:14 PM
How come it is $150 now? I thought it was $100?

The guy I spoke with originally said $100. So I said, I thought it was $150. He put me on hold and came back and read from an email and said that I was right, it should be $150.

Iced Angel
Sep 9, 2007, 09:58 AM
I just ordered a $349'er and I can't wait. I paid for overnight delivery. why the hell not.:apple::D:apple::D:apple::cool:

I want to do the same thing :D does it have any scratch on it ?? comes in a original box or the brown box like the macs ?

wdwarriors
Sep 9, 2007, 01:59 PM
I just got my 8gig refurb from apple yesterday and I have been loving it. It came in a sealed package, the only difference being that in came in a white box instead of a black one. It looks brand new, with no scratches on it all. I got the 349er because they lowered the price. I had been waiting for them to do so. Ihooe that answers your question about whether it shows signs of wear I'd anything like that.

Ramsos
Sep 9, 2007, 05:51 PM
I want to do the same thing :D does it have any scratch on it ?? comes in a original box or the brown box like the macs ?

just like the poster above me, mine came in a plain brown box with a white box inside and the condition is prestine. There is not a scratch on the phone and I feel great about the purchase. I posting From my iPhone right now.

ernest720
Sep 10, 2007, 03:36 AM
wow, great! I just want to buy one

Eric Lewis
Sep 10, 2007, 06:18 AM
can someone post pictures of this box?

Squonk
Sep 10, 2007, 08:37 AM

I am amazed at the box freaks that we have all become... :D

pedroistheman
Sep 11, 2007, 12:14 AM
are they still selling refurbished 4 gigs? If so, it's probably pretty cheap with the price cut.

psingh01
Sep 11, 2007, 01:28 PM
the brown box is just the shipping box. my powerbook and mbp came is a plain brown box, inside was the real box though (they were new so no plain white box there)

MovieCutter
Sep 11, 2007, 01:43 PM

That's kinda sad...

Eric Lewis
Sep 11, 2007, 06:51 PM
i want to see!

RTC
Sep 11, 2007, 07:41 PM
I too had been waiting for the price drop on the iphone. As soon as I heard word that it had dropped, I was all over that! Especially when they said that they were not doing the 4G any longer and when those were gone they were gone!

I got on the apple online store right away to order and noticed the clearance link and thought I would just take a look@@? For only another $50.00 bucks and I was in the 8G... so I figured why not? I'm not afraid of refurb. It has never hurt me before and you save a whole lot-o-money:-)

Now, I did not know about the box thingy, so you guys just all informed me that mine was NOT brand spanking new.... I will explain.

When mine came "it" was carefully packaged inside the "brown" box... it was in this beautifully "shrink wrapped" and adorable little PERFECT "white" box!

I WAS AMAZED AND THRILLED BEYONE BELIEF!

SURELY THIS WAS A MISTAKE? "SHOULD I CALL APPLE"? "HONEY, LOOK"?
I opened it up and everything was packaged perfectly...

"Honey, they must have over-sold all the refurbs and HAD to send ME a brand NEW one". I thought I was soooo lucky! lololol

Okay, you all can just stop your howling now:-)

Anyway, I LOVE MY NEW $350.00 8G PRISTINE (REFURBED) IPHONE, no matter what and I have been playing with it all day.

And that is how I found this forum and YOU ALL:-) lololol
rtc

KYBOSH
Sep 11, 2007, 08:42 PM
yep, it comes in a nice white box. got ours yesterday. but what does it matter anyway unless you are going to be wearing the box around your neck as you are walking down the street or trying to sell it as new to the rest of the world.

the box is nice enuff to resell unopened by the way.

strurtle
Sep 11, 2007, 09:17 PM
Heres the box that my 4gb refurb came in. Just got an email from apple that I'm getting refunded back $160.50 because of the price drop. No complaints here.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/kenlac/IMG_0792.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/kenlac/IMG_0791.jpg

powerbook911
Sep 12, 2007, 12:41 AM
I too had been waiting for the price drop on the iphone. As soon as I heard word that it had dropped, I was all over that! Especially when they said that they were not doing the 4G any longer and when those were gone they were gone!

I got on the apple online store right away to order and noticed the clearance link and thought I would just take a look@@? For only another $50.00 bucks and I was in the 8G... so I figured why not? I'm not afraid of refurb. It has never hurt me before and you save a whole lot-o-money:-)

Now, I did not know about the box thingy, so you guys just all informed me that mine was NOT brand spanking new.... I will explain.

When mine came "it" was carefully packaged inside the "brown" box... it was in this beautifully "shrink wrapped" and adorable little PERFECT "white" box!

I WAS AMAZED AND THRILLED BEYONE BELIEF!

SURELY THIS WAS A MISTAKE? "SHOULD I CALL APPLE"? "HONEY, LOOK"?
I opened it up and everything was packaged perfectly...

"Honey, they must have over-sold all the refurbs and HAD to send ME a brand NEW one". I thought I was soooo lucky! lololol

Okay, you all can just stop your howling now:-)

Anyway, I LOVE MY NEW $350.00 8G PRISTINE (REFURBED) IPHONE, no matter what and I have been playing with it all day.

And that is how I found this forum and YOU ALL:-) lololol
rtc

This is such a cool post. Welcome to Mac Rumors! Enjoy your phone. Take care of it! :)

dpierre
Sep 12, 2007, 01:20 AM
I seem to be a little confused? I know the refurb. 8gb iphone is $349 but is there a rebate also?

pyrex
Sep 13, 2007, 12:18 AM
I couldn't imagine a better phone for $249 I definitely feel all the people with 4 gig refurbs came out on top if they got their $150 back. Still not posted to my bank account yet though so I hope I don't get shafted with empty promises I am still weary of phone support from previous experiences.

pedroistheman
Sep 13, 2007, 12:37 AM
[QUOTE=strurtle;4167832]Heres the box that my 4gb refurb came in. Just got an email from apple that I'm getting refunded back $160.50 because of the price drop. No complaints here.

So how much did you end up paying for it?

strurtle
Sep 13, 2007, 01:35 AM
So how much did you end up paying for it?

Exactly $267.43

RTC
Sep 14, 2007, 04:10 AM
This is such a cool post. Welcome to Mac Rumors! Enjoy your phone. Take care of it! :)

Thanks PB911 :)... for the welcome and I am having way too much fun with the new iphone!

Yes, I do realize I was a bit enthusiastic, but is was really funny! If you all could have just seen me when I was reading the real "truth" and laughing at myself, and writing that first email, just rolling. lololol

Also, does anyone know if they are going to make it possible to change the widgets on the phone? I am not a stockmarket watcher and it would kinda be nice to have different "options"
rtc

aerospace
Sep 14, 2007, 09:00 AM
if your a bit computer savy you can "hack" it and do it yourself. most of the apps are still pretty simple but ok. hopefully apple will release thier own new apps soon(not sure why its taking so long) but theres no way to know if theyll be usefull or not

mr.666
Sep 14, 2007, 10:56 AM
thought they were very easy to deal with on this... i bought my iPnone referb 8gb $499 on 8/28/07 with a sched delivery of 9/6/07(silly me). price drop! and the referb drops to $349! i call and they without hessitation refund the $160.50. their cust service deserves a star for dealing with this. rock on \m/

RTC
Sep 14, 2007, 04:53 PM
if your a bit computer savy you can "hack" it and do it yourself. most of the apps are still pretty simple but ok. hopefully apple will release thier own new apps soon(not sure why its taking so long) but theres no way to know if theyll be usefull or not

If it is not too complicated and I have very well laid out instructions, and I know a million people have had 100% success in performing the task before me, well then...

I am ALL OVER IT!

Okay, 80%. :D You try and let me know.:p:p:p:p

Sorry... :(

Hope :apple: can move things along, but I think they have some pretty BIG parties over the next few weeks from what I hear:-) :cool:
Pretty touchy people those guys over there... ;)

Thanks,
rtc

vega07
Sep 14, 2007, 06:35 PM
does apple take orders over the phone? when I purchased applecare over the phone, they didn't charge any tax. I'm wondering if tax will be applied for phone orders...

RTC
Sep 14, 2007, 08:01 PM
does apple take orders over the phone? when I purchased applecare over the phone, they didn't charge any tax. I'm wondering if tax will be applied for phone orders...

Yes, they will take an order over the phone and yes they did charge ME tax because I live in CA where they are located. :(

interlaced
Sep 14, 2007, 08:31 PM
Yes, they will take an order over the phone and yes they did charge ME tax because I live in CA where they are located. :(

You mean they charged you tax on the iPhone, right? They don't/aren't supposed to charge tax on Applecare regardless of where you live.

vega07
Sep 14, 2007, 09:49 PM
You mean they charged you tax on the iPhone, right? They don't/aren't supposed to charge tax on Applecare regardless of where you live.

they charge tax on applecare purchased online.

har30185
Sep 15, 2007, 06:05 AM
I called Apple yesterday and claimed my $150 for my 4GB refurb iPhone (which I love), and asked for a confirmation number, but was told that I would receive an email. The rep. also told me that the 150 would post to my credit card w/i 3-5 business days. Still no post to the credit card, and no email. Anyone else still waiting on their $150 and/or email confirmation? Additionally, someone mentioned getting a $160.50 refund, is that 150 +tax or something else?

strurtle
Sep 15, 2007, 04:21 PM
I called Apple yesterday and claimed my $150 for my 4GB refurb iPhone (which I love), and asked for a confirmation number, but was told that I would receive an email. The rep. also told me that the 150 would post to my credit card w/i 3-5 business days. Still no post to the credit card, and no email. Anyone else still waiting on their $150 and/or email confirmation? Additionally, someone mentioned getting a $160.50 refund, is that 150 +tax or something else?

Give it a week until they credit your card. Your confirmation number is your
order number. (the one that starts with a "W")

You should get $150 + tax.

har30185
Sep 16, 2007, 08:29 AM
Give it a week until they credit your card. Your confirmation number is your
order number. (the one that starts with a "W")

You should get $150 + tax.

Ah, thank you for the vote of confidence. I can't wait for the credit refund!

whistler72
Sep 16, 2007, 08:53 AM
these sound like great deals for a refurbished phone!

iphone529
Nov 2, 2007, 01:50 PM
I got a $150 back when apple announced the price drop because i was within the grace period. Then on leopard release day i went to apple's website and entered in my iPhone info. To my surprise apple screwed up and i got the $100 rebate also. You guys should try it also.

mrwilmoth
Nov 6, 2007, 01:27 AM
refurbished is the best way to go. I signed up on a new contact with at&t, got there $30 blackberry pearl, sold it in ebay for $225. so my cost was only about $100 for a refurbished apple iphone 4gb :)