PDA

View Full Version : "Katie! Why is your bill 53 Pages?"

katie ta achoo
Aug 20, 2007, 07:42 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

I was padding around the house barefoot and half-conscious getting ready to go to work. My dad came into the room, shaking a bundle of papers.

"Katie! Why is your phone bill Fifty Three Pages?!"
--"Huh? What are you talking about? Give me my mail! Stop opening my mail!"
"I thought it was our home phone, but still... 53 pages?!"

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/17/mail-2_300.jpg

(forgive the size and quality. I took it with the iPhone because my camera was either stolen from me or I lost it.)

Read Full Article (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/17/katie-why-is-your-bill-53-pages/)

Peace
Aug 20, 2007, 07:45 PM
hehehehe..

Sorry Katie.I have to laugh..
I'd go with paperless billing and save a few hundred trees.

AT&T is really stupid but I LOVE my iPhone.

siurpeeman
Aug 20, 2007, 07:46 PM
i'm semi-tempted (ok, not really) to switch back to paper billing to see how many pages my data bill would be. but wow, 53 pages is some stuff. of the time you spend browsing, how much of it is spent on the phone and how much on the computer?

IEatApples
Aug 20, 2007, 07:50 PM
A 53 pages bill!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Now there's something that CAN steal your soul! :D :p ;)

Kingsly
Aug 20, 2007, 08:03 PM
Oh bugger. I can't wait to get my bill... I make full use of the unlimited data feature, and am on a 1500/month text plan.
:(

katie ta achoo
Aug 20, 2007, 08:04 PM
i'm semi-tempted (ok, not really) to switch back to paper billing to see how many pages my data bill would be. but wow, 53 pages is some stuff. of the time you spend browsing, how much of it is spent on the phone and how much on the computer?

Most of the time I'm on my wifi.. I'm really impatient. :p

Now that facebook is mobile... uh-oh. :)

I'm kind of tempted to see how big of a bill I can make, too... I'll recycle the paper when I'm done! :p

beetlejuice
Aug 20, 2007, 08:05 PM
they itemize the data even though it is unlimited?
its not like those extra pages for data transfers are more billable items right?

The Stig
Aug 20, 2007, 08:06 PM
Katie, can I ask how much that cost you? If that is ok. If not, I understand.

The Stig

arn
Aug 20, 2007, 08:07 PM
Katie, can I ask how much that cost you? If that is ok. If not, I understand.

These are unlimited data accounts, so cost is not affected by how many pages of data (which this is primarily) your iPhone bill is.

arn

strangelogic
Aug 20, 2007, 08:10 PM
Imagine how much they could lower our rates if they quit this corporate nonsense. Unlimited data, and they detail every single hit on the network like they were creating a bill to satisfy their own accountants.

You can't even put the iPhone on one of their 'business' plans... clueless behemoth - att

I use the electronic billing... my carbon footprint is already big enough.

AmbitiousLemon
Aug 20, 2007, 08:25 PM
As of August 10th AT&T is switching to summary billing for iPhone customers. If you want to continue receiving the uber paper bill you'll have to pay an extra $2.

ghall
Aug 20, 2007, 08:27 PM
Wow! My phone bill would probably be close to 800 pages long if I had an iPhone. I think I'll be using electronic billing when I get one.

As of August 10th AT&T is switching to summary billing for iPhone customers. If you want to continue receiving the uber paper bill you'll have to pay an extra $2.

And answer to the Ents. No thanks. :)

Benjamindaines
Aug 20, 2007, 08:47 PM
My bill was 12 pages long and not itemized... I don't know why you guys are getting these massive bills.

chr1s60
Aug 20, 2007, 08:56 PM
I have a family plan, but my section of the bill was 35 pages when I looked at it in PDF. ATT has a pretty good online billing system. I would recommend signing up for anyone who is concerned about the environment or simply doesn't like getting phone bills that look like packages.

yescurvyswab
Aug 20, 2007, 08:59 PM
My bill was 12 pages long and not itemized... I don't know why you guys are getting these massive bills.

mine was 6

Calvinatir
Aug 20, 2007, 09:10 PM
Mine is 85...still comes in envelope form though...a 2nd iPhone is on the way too, so am i lookin at 150? lol

Benjamindaines
Aug 20, 2007, 09:15 PM
mine was 6

Yeah mine was 6 pieces of paper front and back making it 12.

teleromeo
Aug 20, 2007, 09:17 PM
do they make a hard copy of every call you make ?

triskadecaepyon
Aug 20, 2007, 09:24 PM
That's just a bit on the wild side. I think AT&T wants to show you that the iphone is worth every penny... and byte of EDGE data.

MacDawg
Aug 20, 2007, 09:29 PM
You would think out of 53 pages there would be at least 1 call or text to me. :o But alas, my phone has been silent.

Anybody else depressed because they weren't on the 53 pages?

Woof, Woof - Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

dmw007
Aug 20, 2007, 10:16 PM
I just got my first bill for my iPhone and it was not even close to 53 pages. :p :cool: :)

boss1
Aug 20, 2007, 10:19 PM
Many messages, emails and documents are being transmitted digitally now a days. This is one of the few, great and good advances human civilization has made from all the new modern day technology.

Millions if not billions of what would have been printed and snail mailed paper are now being sent more efficiently digitally, saving trees, and our environment!

The world was starting to steer in a positive direction until......... AT&T decided it would be a good idea to print out every single piece of digitally transmitted data sent and then snail mail it back to you.

wakka092
Aug 20, 2007, 10:26 PM
I didn't even see data transfers on my bill. I just saw text and calls, so the Aug. 10 consolidated iPhone bill is no BS..

CJD2112
Aug 20, 2007, 10:27 PM
Imagine how much they could lower our rates if they quit this corporate nonsense. Unlimited data, and they detail every single hit on the network like they were creating a bill to satisfy their own accountants.

You can't even put the iPhone on one of their 'business' plans... clueless behemoth - att

I use the electronic billing... my carbon footprint is already big enough.

While I was vacationing on the Cape this weekend, I heard a similar story about ATT's paper billing for iPhone accounts. Of course, the version I heard was roughly 300 pages, but I am certain that's an exaggeration. I've been paperless myself as I'm very eco-conscious. I can understand why people may prefer paper billing, but being sent a book-like bill is inexcusable. There is no need to review every data transfer on an unlimited data account. Completely pointless, and further sheds light on ATT's "tracking" of their customers. Privacy is a thing of the past I suppose. :(

Iscariot
Aug 20, 2007, 10:52 PM

Change your name, and your sibling(s) name(s) to "Katie".

Problem solved.

Lebowski
Aug 20, 2007, 11:28 PM
BREAKING NEWS......

iPhone bills are long!!!!

wow, thanks for that bob.... now in other news, the sky is blue and grass is green.

can we get some more "guess how many pages my bill is" threads?

i dont know what is more funny. the fact that you own a six hundred dollar phone yet still live at home.

or that your parents pay the bill for your phone. (im sure they "accidentally" opened it thinking it was the home phone bill....)

thegoldenmackid
Aug 20, 2007, 11:31 PM
that is absurd.

corywoolf
Aug 20, 2007, 11:40 PM
I will definitely not be getting an iPhone with at&t being the carrier. Why can't Apple revolutionize the wireless business while they're at it? Cell phone contracts are whack. Prepaid is not generally a good deal either. The communications industry as a whole is one giant cesspool of crappy corporations that slow innovation.

arn
Aug 20, 2007, 11:42 PM
or that your parents pay the bill for your phone. (im sure they "accidentally" opened it thinking it was the home phone bill....)

Actually, MacRumors pays for her phone... ;)

arn

DavisNYC
Aug 20, 2007, 11:50 PM
My phone bill was 129 pages, and came in a hard cardboard mailer which couldn't even fit in my mailbox. I had to go all the way to the post office to pick up what turned out to be my iphone bill (which i've already paid online 3 days earlier).

Switched to paperless.

Stupid AT&T.

Nicky G
Aug 21, 2007, 01:33 AM
I am wondering if this is common -- I get the $79.99 iPhone voice plan, $20 unlimited EDGE data, and the $2.99 Roadside Assistance. Bill comes to about $118 a month -- around $15 monthly for about 6 different Federal, State, and local taxes, surcharges, etc. Resident of Baltimore, Maryland.

IS THIS NORMAL?!?! I don't ever remember paying so many taxes for a cell phone before.

Iscariot
Aug 21, 2007, 01:44 AM
i dont know what is more funny. the fact that you own a six hundred dollar phone yet still live at home.

Living at home in the new moving out.

(Moving out is the new black, black is the new pink, and the 2000s are the new 80s if the fashion mullets haven't clued you in)

SthrnCmfrtr
Aug 21, 2007, 06:22 AM
the fact that you own a six hundred dollar phone yet still live at home.

I've always been a fan of living at home. Where do you live?

Ptpiz
Aug 21, 2007, 09:35 AM
Try 435 pages over here. I guess that's what happens when you have a family plan with 4 iPhones and a Blackberry on it, eeeeek....

They must have effed up though because the bill is $3,566.53!!!!!!!

ABSURDDDD!

pjarvi
Aug 21, 2007, 12:05 PM
Some family friends had their bills arrive by UPS in a box. They have teenage daughters, lol. :p

boss1
Aug 21, 2007, 12:15 PM
Try 435 pages over here....

ABSURDDDD!

Well that sums it up for me. IMO this is the new AT&T :

http://www.heyne.com.au/gardencentre/factsheets/chemreco/treekiller.jpg

MacPhilosopher
Aug 21, 2007, 02:41 PM
Welcome to the 21st Century. Anyone who has online services (i.e. everyone on this forum/anyone using an iPhone) should be using e-billing. All of these "shocked" ATT customers have no excuse. They should have known better. I went to e-billing years ago when Sprint first offered the option to get rid of my 15-page bill. Come on Katie...get with the program. This should not be news.

scem0
Aug 21, 2007, 05:05 PM
I'm somewhat appalled from an environmental standpoint. I had to tell my bank to stop sending me statements because my bank statements were amounting to 20-30 pages once a month, which is a total waste of paper when I can check it online. So, I'm 'paperless' with my bank statements. I wonder if AT&T offers something similar.

e

rdowns
Aug 21, 2007, 06:17 PM
Paperless/electronic is the way to go. I use it for virtually everything. I'm moving soon and I have so few change of address to worry about. What a pleasure.

billchase2
Aug 21, 2007, 06:58 PM
i signed up for the paperless billing... cuz these bills are ridiculous.

method525
Aug 21, 2007, 07:24 PM
What a short lived story. I got an announcement at work that all iphone customers will be switched to summary billing starting tomorrow. I guess team Deathstar got tired of the negative press.

voicegy
Aug 21, 2007, 08:57 PM
Yeah, yeah, these paper bills blow chunks, alright. Got mine, was 30 pages long, Puh-LEEZE. They itemize EVERYTHING - every time you cough, fart, burp, look at an email, send a message, take a picture, show it off to friends...zero cost, of course, if you play within your limits. Signed on for paperless, end of story.

Stupid Deathstar is right.:mad:

Tattoo
Aug 21, 2007, 09:13 PM
Paperless Billing FTW!:D

boss1
Aug 21, 2007, 10:37 PM
That's great news. Honestly I think it was my tree killer can image that got to them :p .

In all seriousness I hope that the decision was made for the love of trees rather than the negative press ;)

boss1
Aug 21, 2007, 11:58 PM
Welcome to the 21st Century. Anyone who has online services (i.e. everyone on this forum/anyone using an iPhone) should be using e-billing. All of these "shocked" ATT customers have no excuse. They should have known better. I went to e-billing years ago when Sprint first offered the option to get rid of my 15-page bill. Come on Katie...get with the program. This should not be news.

It's not fair to blame the consumer for not knowing better. The absurdity isn't that this person received a paper bill, the absurdity was that it was 53 pages and this is a small number of pages compared to what others were receiving.

If I chose to receive a paper bill and it was 1 - 2 pages like my electric bill no one would care.

If I never had a cellphone and signed up for one only to find out they sent me a 400 page book at the end of the month I might be concerned enough to bring it to share this with the public. I'm glad katie and others are bringing attention to this issue which is not the consumers wrong doing. complacency is not the solution here.

Sobe
Aug 22, 2007, 11:05 AM
When I was a Verizon customer they offered me a one time $20 incentive to switch to electronic bills and stop paper billing.

If AT&T wants me to save them money, they can offer me something similiar.

Until then (and this goes for other companies who ask you to switch to e-billing), I'm not going to save them money unless they make it worth my while.

MRIdeal
Aug 22, 2007, 12:36 PM
When I was a Verizon customer they offered me a one time $20 incentive to switch to electronic bills and stop paper billing.

If AT&T wants me to save them money, they can offer me something similiar.

Until then (and this goes for other companies who ask you to switch to e-billing), I'm not going to save them money unless they make it worth my while.

lol I know, right? just more profit for them. totally not fair. same thing with crime, i only report it if there's a reward... we wouldn't have all this crime if they just gave rewards all the time :)

Sobe
Aug 22, 2007, 12:43 PM
lol I know, right? just more profit for them. totally not fair. same thing with crime, i only report it if there's a reward... we wouldn't have all this crime if they just gave rewards all the time :)

Heh I think crime's a little different...but hey if you regard paper use as a crime, go nuts.

The way I look at it, I pay X amount including the paper. If they want me to save them money they can make it worth my while.

mcobian
Aug 22, 2007, 02:17 PM
Is AT&T printing every SMS message you send and recieve on that bill????

Then there is no privacy, i can't believe this, are they really doing that???:eek:

Sun Baked
Aug 22, 2007, 02:23 PM
Yes Katie, I think you do need that American dream job where all you do is play with your phone and gossip with other employees all day.

Eric Lewis
Aug 22, 2007, 02:32 PM
mine was close to 230

matthewHUB
Aug 22, 2007, 05:25 PM
you guys should all go paperless. i just wonder how many macrumors forum members' iPhones' bills (wow thats a mouthfull) it'll take to kill a whole rainforest????

Benjamindaines
Aug 22, 2007, 05:29 PM
Some people are reporting AT&T sending them text messages saying that they are stopping sending itemized bills.

Green Peace must have gotten a hold of them =P

katie ta achoo
Aug 22, 2007, 05:42 PM
Is AT&T printing every SMS message you send and recieve on that bill????

Then there is no privacy, i can't believe this, are they really doing that???:eek:
Not the text of the message, just at what time they were sent/recieved and to/from. I thought this was a standard thing?

Yes Katie, I think you do need that American dream job where all you do is play with your phone and gossip with other employees all day.
Don't we all? But hey, someone's gotta sell toys and do gift wrap. :)

Some people are reporting AT&T sending them text messages saying that they are stopping sending itemized bills.
I got that message today, too.

AT&T free msg: We are simplifying your paper bill, removing itemized detail. To view all detail, go to att.com/mywireless. Still need full paper bill? Call 611.

Monsterkid198
Aug 26, 2007, 01:56 PM
That is kinda nuts. to tell you the truth though i deff. wouldn't get an iphone yet only because it is still too damn expensive i will say in the next 3 months the iphone will go down in price. and even then i still wouldn't get one because it's gonna **** on you in the next three years like my 20 gig ipod. i wish ipods had battery's you can change.

coffey7
Aug 26, 2007, 06:29 PM
Forget about the number of pages I want to know how much the bill came to?

Counter
Aug 26, 2007, 07:13 PM
Girl getting a 300 page one in a box. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdULhkh6yeA)

Interview about it for tv. She sends 30k to 35,000 text messages a month. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h-jFzQFMLw)

katie ta achoo
Aug 27, 2007, 10:01 AM
Forget about the number of pages I want to know how much the bill came to?

like $82. Nothing crazy.

coffey7
Aug 27, 2007, 08:01 PM
like $82. Nothing crazy.

Ok thats not that bad.

ata
Nov 13, 2007, 12:40 PM
"idk, my bff jill?"

(Sorry, it had to be done :))

GTiPhone
Nov 13, 2007, 12:51 PM
Man, thats sad. Sad that At&t would even consider printing something like that. What a terrible waste.

If you receive paper billings from all or most vendors/creditors you account with...... you are an embarassment to the planet. In 2007, not only is unecessary, its wrong.

dannyar
Nov 22, 2007, 08:42 PM
dont send text messages like breathing air and u wont see those bills.

Prof.
Nov 23, 2007, 04:24 PM
6, 12, 20, 30, 53 PAGES????

This is really putting me off of me buying an iPhone.

If I were to get an iPhone, would it be really be that hard to keep the bill under 6 pages and $60??? I don't want to pay more than $60 a month.

I have about 1.5 years until my Verizon contract expires, should I get a prepaid iPhone then get a contract once my Verizon contract expires???

Opinions appreciated.

Prof. :apple:

Lixivial
Nov 23, 2007, 05:19 PM
Resurrecting old news threads means that it's usually out of date. :p

This is really putting me off of me buying an iPhone.

If I were to get an iPhone, would it be really be that hard to keep the bill under 6 pages and $60??? I don't want to pay more than $60 a month.

Use paperless billing.

Aside from that, AT&T has changed its billing practices (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136338-c,iphone/article.html) after a bunch of bloggers made a kerfuffle about it. To get the stacks, you can dial 611 to renable itemised billing. Otherwise it's always available online.

snoop92679
Feb 11, 2008, 10:10 AM
I love Apple, but their selection of AT&T/Cingular has to be one of the stupidest things that Steve Jobs has ever done. Yes, we have suffered from the lack of expansion on the original Macs. Oh, and the missing disk drive from NeXt was a real winner. And, we can make due with the one USB port on the MacBook Air...

However, I can't live with AT&T anymore, and my iPhones are going on eBay!

We just got a bill for over $2,000 / over $1,600 of which was a data transfer charge - mostly for my 10-year old son. To be fair, he racked-up the bill (for 120,000KB of data = ~20 songs) on a Pantech Duo phone that we purchased for our kids after moving from Verizon. The sales rep "forgot" to add the unlimited EDGE data plan to the kid's phones. It has taken a lot of phone calls and follow-up to get AT&T to fix the bill (which they did). However, you need to check their statements closely for bogus billing. And, the number of dropped calls is absolutely unacceptable. Also, be sure and have the right plans for your kids since they can apparently rack-up huge bills at age 10.

With Verizon, we RARELY had dropped calls. Their customer service was a 10/10 (AT&T = 2/10). The data speeds are amazing. Most of all, we NEVER had any billing issues. How a 10-year old can consent to $1,300 in data charges without setting off any red flags at AT&T is beyond belief.

I love the iPhone, but think twice about AT&T. Maybe, I'll get an iPod Touch and just go back to a WM6 device at Verizon.

supremedesigner
Feb 11, 2008, 10:21 AM
I love Apple, but their selection of AT&T/Cingular has to be one of the stupidest things that Steve Jobs has ever done. Yes, we have suffered from the lack of expansion on the original Macs. Oh, and the missing disk drive from NeXt was a real winner. And, we can make due with the one USB port on the MacBook Air...

However, I can't live with AT&T anymore, and my iPhones are going on eBay!

We just got a bill for over $2,000 / over $1,600 of which was a data transfer charge - mostly for my 10-year old son. To be fair, he racked-up the bill (for 120,000KB of data = ~20 songs) on a Pantech Duo phone that we purchased for our kids after moving from Verizon. The sales rep "forgot" to add the unlimited EDGE data plan to the kid's phones. It has taken a lot of phone calls and follow-up to get AT&T to fix the bill (which they did). However, you need to check their statements closely for bogus billing. And, the number of dropped calls is absolutely unacceptable. Also, be sure and have the right plans for your kids since they can apparently rack-up huge bills at age 10.

With Verizon, we RARELY had dropped calls. Their customer service was a 10/10 (AT&T = 2/10). The data speeds are amazing. Most of all, we NEVER had any billing issues. How a 10-year old can consent to $1,300 in data charges without setting off any red flags at AT&T is beyond belief.

I love the iPhone, but think twice about AT&T. Maybe, I'll get an iPod Touch and just go back to a WM6 device at Verizon.

Never had any problem.... :cool:

RosieO
Feb 11, 2008, 10:48 AM
How a 10-year old can consent to $1,300 in data charges without setting off any red flags at AT&T is beyond belief.

And how does AT & T know a 10 year old is using the phone? Isn't it up to the parents to monitor a child's phone usage not the phone companies?

PlaceofDis
Feb 11, 2008, 10:55 AM
And how does AT & T know a 10 year old is using the phone? Isn't it up to the parents to monitor a child's phone usage not the phone companies?

and we have a winner!

snoop92679
Feb 11, 2008, 11:06 AM
and we have a winner!

Wait a second...

We did ask and expect that they would have the unlimited data plans. Their phones are datacentric phones designed for text, multimedia, etc. The sales rep made a mistake, and it could've happened to an "adult" phone just as easily. Have you given any thought to how ~20 .mp3s (in data) would equal a charge of over $1,300?

The difference is that the phones allow a minor to consent to additional data charges without any verification of ownership (user name / password, etc.). The Verizon phones would not let our children access any Internet data at all without a plan agreed to by us - the parents.

In other words, in absence of a data plan, the phones should not allow access at all. However, they encourage data usage, and then they send you an insane bill.

Add in the dropped calls, poor customer service, and slow data speeds, and AT&T was a very poor choice for the iPhone, IMO.