PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded my iMac G4!!!

diamond3
Aug 20, 2007, 08:28 PM
Well, I just finished replacing the DVD burner (Pioneer 112d) in my iMac G4 1ghz 17". Talk about a change from the previous one. Its so much faster. I also changed out the 200pin 256mb internal ram with 1gb crucial memory. I can already notice the improvements and I'm running CS2, firefox, iTunes, Messenger, and active monitor and there still are no page outs. I also put the thermal paste on it once I was done.

All in all it was well worth the upgrade. It was $100 total for the DVD burner, 1gb memory, arctic silver 5 thermal paste and shipping from newegg.

And yes you can have more than 1 gig in the iMac 1gh or 1.25ghz model. I'll maybe upgrade to 2 gig later in the sodimm slot.:):):)

SomeGuy721
Oct 31, 2007, 10:56 AM
Hey diamond3, I am looking to upgrade my iMac G4 (1.25 GHz) as well. I was hoping you could answer a couple of questions for me: where would you suggest purchasing 1GB chips of RAM for that machine, and what do I need to look for to make sure it's compatible? Where is the internal memory slot located in that machine? Can I buy the exact same chip of RAm for the SO-DIMM slot, as well? And it is indeed possible to put 2GB in that machine? Thanks for your help.

newkeyboard
Nov 16, 2007, 12:25 PM
Hey diamond3, I am looking to upgrade my iMac G4 (1.25 GHz) as well. I was hoping you could answer a couple of questions for me: where would you suggest purchasing 1GB chips of RAM for that machine, and what do I need to look for to make sure it's compatible? Where is the internal memory slot located in that machine? Can I buy the exact same chip of RAm for the SO-DIMM slot, as well? And it is indeed possible to put 2GB in that machine? Thanks for your help.

Is anyone else able to answer this? I have an old g4 imac (1.25mhz) 20". Exactly what RAM do I need? Preferably want to boost it up to 2gb. Thanks.

CashGap
Nov 16, 2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the post... I bought an iMac G4 17" 1.25/768/80gb last week for $150. Sat in a showroom for years, probably has 20 hours of use on it.

Upgraded it to 1GB/160gb with stuff I had lying around. VERY interested to learn that you were able to go over 1GB, I might be tempted to try that.

Leopard runs great.