PDA

View Full Version : "Recluse is eaten by pet spiders"

edesignuk
Aug 21, 2007, 01:47 AM
A recluse was killed and eaten by the exotic creatures he kept at his home. Mark Voegel's corpse was being devoured by spiders, snakes, termites and a gecko when it was discovered by police. The 30-year-old's black widow spider Bettina delivered the deadly bite. His spiders and termites escaped from their tanks when the heating elements exploded and opened the lids. Neighbours alerted the police when they noticed a stench coming from his flat in Dortmund, Germany.:eek:

bartelby
Aug 21, 2007, 01:50 AM
Awesome!

At least his pets were fed!

devilot
Aug 21, 2007, 01:51 AM
The thread title made me think that a Brown recluse was eaten by its own pet spiders. :o

bartelby
Aug 21, 2007, 01:52 AM
The thread title made me think that a Brown recluse was eaten by its own pet spiders. :o

Me too, for a second!

Also from the Metro:

Dildo robber in daylight rubbery

As far as 'stick-ups' go, it was unique – using a Rampant Rabbit vibrator to hold up a bookies.

The robber – who very appropriately acted alone – was jailed for five years for his sex toy heist.

Drug addict Nicki Jex, 27, had concealed his ex-girlfriend's vibrator in a carrier bag and pretended it was a gun in the raid on December 27 last year.

Jex walked off with with more than £600 after a terrified staff member handed over the cash at at Ladbrokes in Leicester.

But the only customer in the bookmakers at the time, Wayne Vakani, bravely followed him out.

Prosecutor Tim Palmer told Leicester Crown Court: 'The defendant pointed the vibrator in the bag at Mr Vakani and warned him to back off.

'Mr Vakani then kept a discreet distance but kept an eye on the defendant and watched where he went.'

He was arrested in a pub by police who found him 'splashing the cash'.

Jex, of Braunstone, Leicester, pleaded guilty to robbery.

Phil Gibbs, mitigating, said Jex – who had 21 previous convictions and was on bail at the time of the offence – had broken up with his girlfriend and was in a 'fragile' state of mind when he committed the robbery.

But sentencing Jex, Judge Philip Head said: 'It's right to record that you did not have a firearm but you pretended you had and intended that those you confronted believed that you did, and it must have been truly terrifying for them at the time.'

Judge Head awarded Mr Vakani £500 for his 'very considerable courage'.

Millions of Rampant Rabbit vibrators have been sold around the globe, helped by a starring role in one episode of Sex And The City.

iBlue
Aug 21, 2007, 01:59 AM
That's freakin nasty!

A man was killed by one of his pet snakes after an earthquake in Los Angeles (the northridge quake) I have to wonder about people who knowingly keep animals that can and instinctively would kill them.

When I first read the title of this I thought a "Brown Recluse" spider had been eaten by pet spiders, and while that's cool*, it's not as sensational as this.

*Brown Recluse are among some of the worst spiders EVER. Google image search a bite of one of those, if you dare.

edesignuk
Aug 21, 2007, 02:00 AM
*Brown Recluse are among some of the worst spiders EVER. Google image search a bite of one of those, if you dare. I dare. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

iBlue
Aug 21, 2007, 02:02 AM
I dare. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.
Disgusting, isn't it? Now you know why spiders freak me out so much, eh? (we had Hobo spiders in our house in the US, their bite is every bit as bad as the brown recluse. It worried me to no end. I still get that immediate sense of fear when I see a spider)

Jaffa Cake
Aug 21, 2007, 02:44 AM
Proof, if it were needed, that spiders are the work of evil. Horrible little things.

bartelby
Aug 21, 2007, 04:18 AM
Proof, if it were needed, that spiders are the work of evil. Horrible little things.

Not at all. They're essential things that are quite cute.

edesignuk
Aug 21, 2007, 04:23 AM
Not at all. They're essential things that are quite cute.I don't mind spiders, but I think cute might be pushing it a little!

bartelby
Aug 21, 2007, 04:25 AM
I don't mind spiders, but I think cute might be pushing it a little!

Why?
They're just little fuzzy buggers!

Like small cats with 8 legs!:D

Jaffa Cake
Aug 21, 2007, 05:04 AM
:mad:There are exceptions to every rule, of course. Applespiders are noted for their pleasantness and general loveliness.

So there you go. ;)

Not at all. They're essential things that are quite cute.Essential? Fly eating duties could easily be taken over by birds. Everyone likes birds. Except maybe pigeons.

dmw007
Aug 21, 2007, 06:31 AM
Scary stuff, but I guess that is the risk that you take when you own and live with such 'exotic' pets. :o

noaccess
Aug 21, 2007, 11:23 AM
Eek. I'm agoraphobic. Hate spiders to death.
Pretty surprised that this whole story happened less than 50 miles away from where I'm now.

MrSmith
Aug 21, 2007, 12:07 PM
Arachnophobic? ;)

Osarkon
Aug 21, 2007, 12:16 PM
I dare. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

I second that. There's a reason I don't like spiders and this just reinforces it.

Urgh.

OutThere
Aug 21, 2007, 12:19 PM
Pretty surprised that this whole story happened less than 50 miles away from where I'm now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agoraphobia

Arachnophobia is what you're looking for.

PlaceofDis
Aug 21, 2007, 12:34 PM
wow. this is why i'd never have an exotic pet.

bartelby
Aug 21, 2007, 12:40 PM
wow. this is why i'd never have an exotic pet.

What about an erotic one?

gauchogolfer
Aug 21, 2007, 12:51 PM

Are you afraid of all spiders, or just ones that you see in open places?
Seems a bit odd, if you ask me.

;)

CanadaRAM
Aug 21, 2007, 12:54 PM
What is with this flood of bizarre and - frankly, unbelieveable - stories originating from Germany?

As a former aquarium owner, I simply don't believe the 'heater exploding and knocking the tank lid off' The heaters have thermostats and are made to go indefinitely without attention.

AmbitiousLemon
Aug 21, 2007, 01:38 PM
As a former aquarium owner, I simply don't believe the 'heater exploding and knocking the tank lid off' The heaters have thermostats and are made to go indefinitely without attention.

Agreed, this is either complete fabrication or someone misunderstanding what they found.

A death from a widow bite is extremely unlikely (possible though). Geckos, termites, snakes, and spiders feeding on a dead person just isn't going to happen though. Maybe he knocked over the aquariums when he died (doubtfully from the spider bite) and the people who discovered it freaked out a bit at all the weird animals walking about.

maccompaq
Aug 21, 2007, 01:54 PM
Does anyone believe this?

calculus
Aug 21, 2007, 02:04 PM
It reminded me of Marie Prevost (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Prevost)

"She was a winner, that became the doggie's dinner..."

iBlue
Aug 22, 2007, 01:07 AM
A heater exploding a lid off a tank might be a bit far-fetched for how they escaped to eat their owner as well as how he died, but I do believe that a person died and was partially consumed by their weird choice in pets.

jczubach
Aug 22, 2007, 06:39 AM
would be in order, as it would appear one of our very own 'reclusive' macrumors forum members has fallen:(:(:(

noaccess
Aug 22, 2007, 11:49 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agoraphobia

Arachnophobia is what you're looking for.
Oops :o
Was thinking of something else when I wrote that... I'm too clumsy to function. :)

quackattack
Aug 22, 2007, 05:15 PM

A link would certianly help the case.

Cybergypsy
Aug 22, 2007, 06:04 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1314/1143764442_53b296ae8a_b.jpg

FredAkbar
Aug 22, 2007, 07:28 PM
A heater exploding a lid off a tank might be a bit far-fetched for how they escaped to eat their owner as well as how he died
Not sure if I understood you correctly, but he died from the bite of his black widow, not from the heater exploding.

jczubach
Aug 22, 2007, 07:35 PM
<snip image>
Sweet Jesus, move your car before she eats it! And then sell your house and move to Canada!!!

Abstract
Aug 22, 2007, 09:21 PM
I dare. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

Me too. Big mistake. :eek:

iBlue
Aug 23, 2007, 02:44 AM
Not sure if I understood you correctly, but he died from the bite of his black widow, not from the heater exploding.
I know, the spider bite is what I meant by "as well as how he died". As I understand it, most adults don't die from black widow bites unless they're immunosupressed or otherwise very unhealthy.

I was saying that a tank lid dislodging from a heater malfunction is very far-fetched. Heaters seldom "explode" anyway.

I could have formed that sentence better though, sure.

mad jew
Aug 23, 2007, 06:35 AM
A recluse was killed and eaten by the exotic creatures he kept at his home. Mark Voegel's corpse was being devoured by spiders, snakes, termites and a gecko when it was discovered by police.

I was wondering where he'd been...

floriflee
Aug 23, 2007, 08:00 AM
Okay, this story gave me nightmares, literally, last night. :( I'm now so tired today.... :(

ErikCLDR
Aug 23, 2007, 08:01 AM
Well at least his neighbors found him, or smelled him, whatever.

There was some old crazy lady in my town that died in her house and no one found her for 6 months until the post office wondered why she never went out to get her mail. Also dead in the house were a bunch of cats that didn't get fed after she died. None of the neighbors suspected anything, they said she was a recluse and was very mean.

Anyways... spider bites
Watch This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VplvcPSCMlc)

bartelby
Aug 23, 2007, 08:03 AM
Well at least his neighbors found him, or smelled him, whatever.

There was some old crazy lady in my town that died in her house and no one found her for 6 months until the post office wondered why she never went out to get her mail. Also dead in the house were a bunch of cats that didn't get fed after she died. None of the neighbors suspected anything, they said she was a recluse and was very mean.

It was probably the cats that killed her... ;)

ErikCLDR
Aug 23, 2007, 08:06 AM
They don't know the cause of death. By the time they found her she was wayy too decayed.

Father Jack
Aug 23, 2007, 08:10 AM
<snip image>

I'd either move home or blast it with a 12 gauge shotgun .... :eek:

Shadow
Aug 23, 2007, 11:41 AM
Why?
They're just little fuzzy buggers!

Like small cats with 8 legs!:D

They are buggers (http://thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/brown_recluse_spider_bite_Day10.jpg), arnt they...

Warning: not for the faint hearted

MrSmith
Aug 23, 2007, 11:50 AM
DON'T CLICK THE ABOVE LINK!
OK, so you did. I told you ;)

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at there. Is that just a bite or some egg-laying? What has actually happened to his skin and subcutaneous fat? It looks more like a cut that's gone septic. And what are the long hair-like things?

If my hand was like that I'd be trying to cut it off - not take pictures of it.

tartsquid
Aug 30, 2007, 08:31 AM
It seems a bit farfetched to me because most predatory exotic species far prefer to eat living prey, so it seems odd that they would eat their dead owner, especially for the snakes, who can go for quite some time without food. All the snakes I've ever had were so picky about their food that I had to make the little pinkies dance around to convince the snakes that the prey was "live". :p