PDA

View Full Version : Error after compile Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundErr

JoeCmis
Aug 21, 2007, 08:36 PM
Hi I am very new to Java programming, right now I am using a mac os 10.49
I can create java documents using bbedit and then they compile when i type
javac.

But when i type java *.java I get the following error

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError

If I type java "filename"
without the .java at the end of the file the terminal has no response

I understand i am supposed to some how set the classpath but i do not know how to do this
Also I can create and compile and then run my java in the eclipse program that i have installed, but not from terminal and im not sure why.

I do have eclipse installed and my java will compile and run in eclipse with no problems.
Thanks for the help.

toddburch
Aug 21, 2007, 09:22 PM
I had the same errors when I started using java from the command line in Terminal.

When you compile, you supply the .java in your syntax. IE

javac myfile.java

However, when you run the program, you don't:

java myfile

Java will run the myfile.class file produced from the compile step. If you navigate to the folder where your class files are produced, you don't need the -classpath parameter on the "java" command, nor do you need to set a classpath environment variable. However, you should read up on the java command from Terminal:

java -?

to familiarize yourself with the command line options.

Todd

ChrisBrightwell
Aug 22, 2007, 12:21 PM
Here's a quick and dirty example.

First, your source file. This is HelloWorld.java:

class HelloWorld
{
public static void main (String args[])
{
System.out.println("Hello, world!");
}
}

Then in terminal, these are your commands:
% javac HelloWorld.java
% java -cp ./ HelloWorld

The "-cp ./" is just to ensure that it looks in the local directory for the .class file to run. Some JVMs add automatically search there, but not all do, so it's usually a good practice to explicitly set the classpath.

Hope this helps.

Littleodie914
Aug 22, 2007, 09:43 PM
Welcome to Java. :)

Yea, what's happening is you're not actually compiling the code. Running "java" in the terminal should execute a compiled Java class. "javac" is the command you're looking for, and stands for "java compiler."

So when you have some java code in a .java file, like HelloWorld.java, you must compile it using "javac HelloWorld.java", and then run the .class file using "java HelloWorld" (notice no .class at the end, it's not required.)

Enjoy!