PDA

View Full Version : Apple Update iMovie '08 to 7.0.1

MacRumors
Aug 22, 2007, 04:02 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has posted (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovie701.html) an update to iMovie '08 today.
This update addresses issues associated with publishing to .Mac Web Gallery. It also improves overall stability and addresses a number of other minor issues.

Apple released iMovie '08 with iLife '08 in August. The new version rewrote iMovie from scratch, leading to some transition pains (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/14/imovie-08-transition-pains/).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/22/apple-update-imovie-08-to-7-0-1/)

Grimace
Aug 22, 2007, 04:08 PM
I still don't understand what all the griping was about with iMovie '08. It is still a fantastic editor!

appie57
Aug 22, 2007, 04:10 PM
Installed, everything looks fine. I love iMovie '08, very innovative!

guzhogi
Aug 22, 2007, 04:14 PM
Anyone else concerned about how quickly these updates have come out considering iLife '08 hasn't been out even a month yet?

sigamy
Aug 22, 2007, 04:15 PM
iMovie '08 is growing on me for short small projects. The new editing features are very cool.

But, the griping was due to the complete removal of some important features. Examples include detailed audio control, extracting audio, visual effects, third party plugins, themes, and iDVD integration.

We've heard the "you still have iMovie HD" argument. I can't believe people try to use this argument, I guess we never need to update any software ever again, right?

iMovie power users (like me) have a right to be annoyed. You expect new features and performance improvements to old features in a new release.

Apple could have avoided much of these issues by just renaming the new app to iVideo or something.

What they did is similar to giving you TextEdit and calling it Pages '08. "Look, you can write a letter in like 30 seconds!"

nagromme
Aug 22, 2007, 04:18 PM
Anyone else concerned that Apple couldn't get this update out sooner?

You expect new features and performance improvements to old features in a new release.

Contrary to popular repetition, iMovie 08 does ADD features (like crop and rotate), it doesn't just take them away and add ease-of-use.

And many of the features people have been saying were removed--like multiple audio tracks that start and end at any time--are in fact still there. A lot of misinformed hysteria has been repeated. (And I'm guilty of believing some of it. See my list of features I THOUGHT were gone that were not, along with a great iMovie 08 MacWorld review, here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4075837&postcount=2 )

And yes, some things were removed (maybe temporarily) by this change. If you want certain effects, like lens flares or manual audio-ramping (instead of the new automatic levels and ducking) you'll want to use iMovie 06. If you don't like iMovie 08, this may reduce the value you find in iLife 08, and if it doesn't have enough value, there's no need to buy every update. I sure don't :) If you were using 05 or lower, then this update gets you 06 and 08 both--and the same is true if you buy a new Mac today. An unusual kind of update, but good value.

websyndicate
Aug 22, 2007, 04:23 PM
There is still not fading out music option. I think the updates are great as small issues need to be addressed. Wait till leopard comes out then we will be having some update pushed for sure

lwongveros
Aug 22, 2007, 04:24 PM
...they also updated iPhoto to 7.0.1 and iWeb to 2.0.1...

websyndicate
Aug 22, 2007, 04:25 PM
Anyone else concerned that Apple couldn't get this update out sooner?

A little but at least I know the OS is being worked on along with its applications.

Small White Car
Aug 22, 2007, 04:26 PM
I still don't understand what all the griping was about with iMovie '08. It is still a fantastic editor!

The griping is that they should have called it "Something Else" ver. 1.0.

Seriously, that's it. I did a bunch of long-winded complaining about the program when it came out, but I would have had nothing bad to say if they had done that one simple move. It would have been more honest, I think.

milo
Aug 22, 2007, 04:29 PM
Anyone else concerned about how quickly these updates have come out considering iLife '08 hasn't been out even a month yet?

Nah. Burning DVDs takes time so they end up locking down a version fairly early. There's a pretty big gap between the dvd version and when people actually get it. Online releases on day 1 are fairly common and usually not too big a deal.

gillilandboy
Aug 22, 2007, 04:31 PM
My iMovie is still messed up :(.

nagromme
Aug 22, 2007, 04:33 PM
The griping is that they should have called it "Something Else" ver. 1.0.

Seriously, that's it. I did a bunch of long-winded complaining about the program when it came out, but I would have had nothing bad to say if they had done that one simple move. It would have been more honest, I think.

Steve said quite clearly in the announcement that this was a NEW program, starting from scratch. There was no dishonest attempt to hide this fact, since it's largely a good thing :)

The pain of the name will fade, since both versions are still around.

milo
Aug 22, 2007, 04:43 PM
There is still not fading out music option. I think the updates are great as small issues need to be addressed. Wait till leopard comes out then we will be having some update pushed for sure

Music fades out automatically.

...they also updated iPhoto to 7.0.1 and iWeb to 2.0.1...

Yep...a few days ago.

ghall
Aug 22, 2007, 04:52 PM
Geez, a 0.0.1 update, and it still is crap. :rolleyes:

twoodcc
Aug 22, 2007, 04:55 PM
i'll install it when i get a chance. i really don't have a problem with imovie 08, i just gotta get used to it

Small White Car
Aug 22, 2007, 05:03 PM
Steve said quite clearly in the announcement that this was a NEW program, starting from scratch.

__% People who watched Steve Jobs' announcement

__% People who see iLife first either online or in a store

I don't know those numbers. But I'm betting the 2nd one is far, far bigger. You want to argue that the first number is significant? I can't say for sure since I don't know the number, but I think it's very unlikely!

Palliser
Aug 22, 2007, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE=milo;4081491]Music fades out automatically.

No... it doesn't....

eme jota ce
Aug 22, 2007, 05:13 PM
Installed, everything looks fine. I love iMovie '08, very innovative!

Couldn't agree more. Very easy application for novice consumers who want to do something with there short movies.

I tired the old version and ended up feeling that my project sucked and the time was lost after more than an hour of trying to make something. With the new iMovie I created two nice montages in 20 minutes.

eme jota ce
Aug 22, 2007, 05:16 PM

No... it doesn't....

It's not a default, but it is automatic. From the Help menu of iMovie:

To turn on audio ducking:
1.Select the clip whose audio you want to give priority, and then click the Audio Adjustments button to open the Audio Adjustments window.

2.Select the checkbox labeled, “Reduce volume of other tracks,” and then click Done.

Kilamite
Aug 22, 2007, 05:21 PM
Installed the update to see if it did anything visually, can't see anything so far.

Not sure what it fixed or improvement - I still find the program extremely tedious to use.

Elektronkind
Aug 22, 2007, 05:30 PM
The #1 think I dislike about iMovie 08 is its inability to directly open projects made in previous versions. Importing doesn't cut it. Importing can take hours and chews up disk space since it essentially copies the dv files into the new format.

manu chao
Aug 22, 2007, 05:31 PM
__% People who watched Steve Jobs' announcement

__% People who see iLife first either online or in a store

Possibly, but you are overstating the case. How many percent of current iMovie '06 user have upgraded? How many percent of these have watched the keynote or read any half-decent reporting about it and how many have just found out about via Apple stores or resellers, Apple's website, or update mechanisms.

The point is, those who have upgraded are the informed crowd and just reading a Mac news site would have also informed you about it.

Wayfarer
Aug 22, 2007, 05:45 PM
I wonder if Apple could combine the best of iMovie HD and the best of iMovie '08 into a future update. That would make everyone happy. :apple:

p0intblank
Aug 22, 2007, 05:48 PM
It feels weird seeing it as 7.0.1, yet it's called iMovie '08. I know it's nothing major. Just thought I'd point that out...

MadDoc
Aug 22, 2007, 06:20 PM
I hope this fixes the bug which means that I can't bloody export video at all! Whenever I try to export video I get audio but no video (just a black screen). It all works fine in the editor.

Actually producing a video is a feature I would have thought Apple would have left in iMovie :(

MadDoc

ezekielrage_99
Aug 22, 2007, 06:58 PM
I think iMovie 08 is dramatically different to iMovie HD it has unnerved the diehard iMovie people out there. I also think with the release of iMovie 08 the expectations were high considering that it's nearly been two years since the last iLife release, IMO there were some unrealistic expectations.

Apple have added some very good features with iLife 08 however I think it will take some time for most users to get use to it.

Hairball
Aug 22, 2007, 07:07 PM
I think iMovie '08 is great. I wasn't a heavy user of iMovie HD, but since '08 is simpler to use, I have found myself using the program more. I have no gripes. If I wanted more, I'd buy a pro app.

mambodancer
Aug 22, 2007, 07:20 PM
iMovie '08 is growing on me for short small projects. The new editing features are very cool.

But, the griping was due to the complete removal of some important features. Examples include detailed audio control, extracting audio, visual effects, third party plugins, themes, and iDVD integration.

We've heard the "you still have iMovie HD" argument. I can't believe people try to use this argument, I guess we never need to update any software ever again, right?

iMovie power users (like me) have a right to be annoyed. You expect new features and performance improvements to old features in a new release.

Apple could have avoided much of these issues by just renaming the new app to iVideo or something.

What they did is similar to giving you TextEdit and calling it Pages '08. "Look, you can write a letter in like 30 seconds!"

So you're implying that iMovie '08 is like Text Edit for a word processor? Hmmm...not when every poll I've seen posted shows unanimous preference for the new version of iMovie.

Having said that, I have been used to iMovie HD and timeline editing. I was just getting used to themes too. Like you and a lot of people I would like to see iMovie renamed Final Cut Lite or something and have the product updated. If, however, Final Cut Express drops in price by about $100 to $199, then I'd be tempted to migrate from iMovie to FCE. It's a bit like iPhoto versus Aperature. If Aperature were about $100 less, again, I might be tempted to upgrade. I don't think either of these things will happen. Sooo...

We'll have to wait and see if the new version of iMovie has a plug-in support feature and see what comes next.

crazedbytheheat
Aug 22, 2007, 07:34 PM
I think iMovie '08 is great. I wasn't a heavy user of iMovie HD, but since '08 is simpler to use, I have found myself using the program more. I have no gripes. If I wanted more, I'd buy a pro app.

Steve loves you. OK - he probably thinks pretty highly of me as well, given how much cash we send Apple's way. However, the missing features are pretty significant and, one would think, pretty easy to add back in since they are in every other video app they have. It wouldn't have been that hard to allow one to highlight the effects area, have a tab next to the text, transition, etc. tool bar, and apply. I had a nice short clip of our cat flipping around chasing her tail - the kids love it. I wanted to put it to music and do a slo-mo.....

Rip from camera - OK
Put in iMovie '08 - OK
Grab part of clip to put in slo-mo - OK
Select effects - hmmmmm those used to be around here somewhere - check help - ah there they are - surprise just in help, not the app - TOTALLY missing.
Export section for slo-mo - OK
Import into iMovie 6 - OK
Slo-mo - OK
Export back to iMovie 08 - OK
Finally get a movie created and sent to iWeb and then .mac - OK

Now - that's not an editing process I expect from a company like Apple. I actually buy my own computer to use at work because I want to use a Mac and not a Windows box, so this is really disappointing to me. I really hope they fix this prior to iLife '10.

There are a lot of new features I really like, but this special effects was one of those previously highly touted features that made iMovie really fun.

Essefgy
Aug 22, 2007, 07:38 PM
Nope. No use. I still get a kernel panic. Thanks for nothing.

(On a 2.5GHz PowerMac.)

verniesgarden
Aug 22, 2007, 08:55 PM
iMovie was never meant to be the pro-app replacement it became, like iPhoto,. if you use say aperture or lightroom for a while then you switch to iPhoto you'd go... where is my editing functions? But the new iMovie is really what it was meant to be in the first place, a simple movie editor for grandma and grandpa. i do believe that iMovie will gain back things but for now, it is what it is, a quick simple movie editor.

joemama
Aug 22, 2007, 09:32 PM
I'll have to research the differences more, but if they got rid of extracting audio and multiple audio tracks, I won't be switching my classroom over anytime soon....

...any teachers out there that can comment on major differences/annoyances?

MrSmith
Aug 22, 2007, 09:38 PM
[INSERT MR LOGO HERE]

Apple will post an update to iMovie '08 sometime.
This update will address issues associated with lack of a timeline by adding one.

Apple released iMovie '08 with iLife '08 in August. The new version rewrote iMovie from scratch, leading to some transition pains (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/14/imovie-08-transition-pains/).

iAlan
Aug 22, 2007, 10:19 PM
but I am still i n2 minds regarding iMovie '06 vs iMovie '08

I guess I am so used to iMovie '06 that i notice the missing features - which I am sure will be added back over a short time frame. But for new Mac users I think iMovie '08 offers a very exiting video editing process.

Maybe Apple should have renamed the new app, but then again 'iMovie' has strong brand recognition. I hope they bring ity up to speed in terms of lacking features (and to be honest I didn't use all the features anyway, but nice to have them none-the-less)

Anyway, i think Apple did innovate iMovie to the next level but may have been a bit too quick to get it out without some of the key previous features.

I can't wait for hte next bump upgrade in September that will add at least a timeline.

MacFly123
Aug 22, 2007, 10:20 PM
Well, this may not be too important, but, I like the new iMovie icon better :D I understand why they did it the way they did with the old one, but it has always bugged me how it had the same image as iDVD lol.

MacFly123
Aug 22, 2007, 10:32 PM

AMEN! I think they could put back a few things like the effects. I liked those, but once they add those few things back I think it will be just right :) This is what a non-computer person that wants to easily make a movie needs, and that is what iLife and Apple is supposed to be. People that want more can buy Apple's amazing pro apps which I also use and love. :D

MacFly123
Aug 22, 2007, 10:50 PM
Can someone please tell me if iMovie '08 works with all these Hard Drive camcorders??? I thought that's what they showed when they imported the video and it showed thumbnails before the import. Can anyone confirm that it works with all the Hard Drive camcorders??? Thanks :D

nickbates
Aug 22, 2007, 11:39 PM
I'll have to research the differences more, but if they got rid of extracting audio and multiple audio tracks, I won't be switching my classroom over anytime soon....

...any teachers out there that can comment on major differences/annoyances?

AMEN! I think they could put back a few things like the effects. I liked those, but once they add those few things back I think it will be just right :) This is what a non-computer person that wants to easily make a movie needs, and that is what iLife and Apple is supposed to be. People that want more can buy Apple's amazing pro apps which I also use and love. :D

Wow, you whining little brats just don't read do you!? Again as previously stated by Nagromme, THESE THINGS WERE NOT TAKEN OUT!!!! There was a HUGE misconception by most of the press, but they were wrong. Here is a partial list of what people assumed was taken out of iMovie 08, but it is ALL STILL THERE!!!

Ken Burns effect

Video color correction tools

Transition effects

Overlaying multiple audio tracks (background music, sound effects, narration, and multiple layers of these that start and end independently of the video clips)

Audio volume changes on the fly (that's now automatic, via normalization and ducking rather than manual control, but it is there).

Visible timeline. iMovie 08 view wraps the timeline like a paragraph and snaps the bars to the visible thumbnails, but it IS still a timeline in essence, where longer clips look visibly longer, right down to stacking audio tracks with visible in and out points. (It even color-codes different audio tracks for music, effects, or narration.)

Scrubbable playhead. (It's there and lets you preview easier than ever.)

Themes. (Themes in the old sense are gone, but the new titling options incorporate similar imagery.)

Storage of clips on external hard disks. (They simply won't play until you plug in the drive)

Ability to use clips from another project.

Now, let's see how long it takes for one of you complainers to post "but why did they take away multiple audio tracks" again! :rolleyes:

websyndicate
Aug 22, 2007, 11:52 PM

I cant get it to work on mine seem like alot of people are experiencing the same issues

MrSmith
Aug 23, 2007, 12:14 AM
Well that's something I wish they had removed.

sonicboom
Aug 23, 2007, 12:14 AM
I used iMovie 08 for a weekend project, and:

loved the interface
satisfied with the feature set
had fun using it

It does more then people who haven't used it think (but less then imovie 06).

HOWEVER, it significantly degrades DV content on import, resulting in unacceptable movie quality... which is why Jobs was promoting using AVCHD.

All of my footage is shot with a miniDV camera, so I cannot use iMovie 08 for editing my family home movies. A major disappointment!

alFR
Aug 23, 2007, 04:40 AM
HOWEVER, it significantly degrades DV content on import, resulting in unacceptable movie quality... which is why Jobs was promoting using AVCHD.

Can you post some samples? As far as I know this hasn't been reported elsewhere.

Digitalclips
Aug 23, 2007, 07:23 AM

No not at all. They had a deadline for the release and perhaps still had a few tweaks. Plus remember they are now working on compatibility for Leopard as well as Tiger and perhaps new iPods. Apple is running at full steam and I for one an loving the ride. :)

Digitalclips
Aug 23, 2007, 07:27 AM
I used iMovie 08 for a weekend project, and:

loved the interface
satisfied with the feature set
had fun using it

It does more then people who haven't used it think (but less then imovie 06).

All of my footage is shot with a miniDV camera, so I cannot use iMovie 08 for editing my family home movies. A major disappointment!

Until I test iMovie 8 myself (I use Final Cut Pro HD) I won't disagree with you ... but I find this very hard to believe. This is Apple we are talking about here ;)

Digitalclips
Aug 23, 2007, 07:29 AM
Wow, you whining little brats just don't read do you!? Again as previously stated by Nagromme, THESE THINGS WERE NOT TAKEN OUT!!!! There was a HUGE misconception by most of the press, but they were wrong. Here is a partial list of what people assumed was taken out of iMovie 08, but it is ALL STILL THERE!!!

Ken Burns effect

Video color correction tools

Transition effects

Overlaying multiple audio tracks (background music, sound effects, narration, and multiple layers of these that start and end independently of the video clips)

Audio volume changes on the fly (that's now automatic, via normalization and ducking rather than manual control, but it is there).

Visible timeline. iMovie 08 view wraps the timeline like a paragraph and snaps the bars to the visible thumbnails, but it IS still a timeline in essence, where longer clips look visibly longer, right down to stacking audio tracks with visible in and out points. (It even color-codes different audio tracks for music, effects, or narration.)

Scrubbable playhead. (It's there and lets you preview easier than ever.)

Themes. (Themes in the old sense are gone, but the new titling options incorporate similar imagery.)

Storage of clips on external hard disks. (They simply won't play until you plug in the drive)

Ability to use clips from another project.

Now, let's see how long it takes for one of you complainers to post "but why did they take away multiple audio tracks" again! :rolleyes:

You really made me want to try it out, thanks ... :)

sigamy
Aug 23, 2007, 08:28 AM
Well, you have used bold so I guess you must be correct.

Seriously, you have to be the only person on this planet that believes that iMovie '08 has a timeline.

And Themes are still there, but in the old sense of themes they are gone, but still there, but gone?

IMHO, you are contributing to the confusion on what features are present in this new app. Making things bold doesn't make them true.

Thomas2006
Aug 23, 2007, 08:35 AM
Well, this may not be too important, but, I like the new iMovie icon better :D I understand why they did it the way they did with the old one, but it has always bugged me how it had the same image as iDVD lol.
I believe the purpose for having the same image was to convey that what you make in iMovie could then be turned into a DVD. I think the new iMovie icon would be better if they got rid of the black in the star and make the camera icon bigger. Apple could have even used an image of the old-time movie cameras.

milo
Aug 23, 2007, 09:08 AM
[QUOTE=Palliser;4081596]

It's not a default, but it is automatic. From the Help menu of iMovie:

Yep. And at the end of a movie it defaults to faidng automatically for me. Same with crossfades, does it automatically when you overlap two pieces of music.

Multiple audio tracks works just fine.

I cant get it to work on mine seem like alot of people are experiencing the same issues

I don't know what to tell you, works fine here. You have an audio clip going to the end of the movie but it doesn't fade? What happens, does it just end abruptly?

Seriously, you have to be the only person on this planet that believes that iMovie '08 has a timeline.

Nope, I'd consider what it has to be a timeline as well. Apple has just changed the look of the timeline, it's split instead of just being one long horizontal line. That has advantages and disadvantages. His post is right, there are many features that people claim are missing that are actually in the program.

martinmartin
Aug 23, 2007, 09:10 AM
Steve loves you. OK - he probably thinks pretty highly of me as well, given how much cash we send Apple's way. However, the missing features are pretty significant and, one would think, pretty easy to add back in since they are in every other video app they have. It wouldn't have been that hard to allow one to highlight the effects area, have a tab next to the text, transition, etc. tool bar, and apply. I had a nice short clip of our cat flipping around chasing her tail - the kids love it. I wanted to put it to music and do a slo-mo.....

Rip from camera - OK
Put in iMovie '08 - OK
Grab part of clip to put in slo-mo - OK
Select effects - hmmmmm those used to be around here somewhere - check help - ah there they are - surprise just in help, not the app - TOTALLY missing.
Export section for slo-mo - OK
Import into iMovie 6 - OK
Slo-mo - OK
Export back to iMovie 08 - OK
Finally get a movie created and sent to iWeb and then .mac - OK

Now - that's not an editing process I expect from a company like Apple. I actually buy my own computer to use at work because I want to use a Mac and not a Windows box, so this is really disappointing to me. I really hope they fix this prior to iLife '10.

There are a lot of new features I really like, but this special effects was one of those previously highly touted features that made iMovie really fun.

I'm with you.

I'm a new mac user. My MBP came with iMovie HD which I didn't use bc I hadn't transferred my DV video to the computer yet. Then I bought iLife08 and started playing with iMovie 08. I was impressed with Steve's presentation, but when I made my first movie, I tried to put a clip into slow motion (someone doing a flip on a wakeboard). I couldn't find how to do slow mo, so I searched help - which told me to click the effects button. I spent some time searching for that button before I searched google 'imovie 08 slow motion' and realized that there is no effects button and there is no slow motion! And that the directions pointing to the 'effects' button are from iMovie 06.

I still like the app, but I think something like slow motion would be a pretty basic function to incorporate.

I don't really have a problem springing for FCE, but I don't really have the time to learn how to use it - and I suspect I wouldn't really need 90% of what it can do. I bought Aperture, which isn't an intuitive program by any means - but these professional programs really can't be intuitive, though. I worry that FCE would be even tougher to learn and master.

iMovie 08 is a very cool app for beginners. Posting to .mac and youtube are sweet features. In my opinion, though, adding a few other items such as slow mo and some other basic editing features would make it a fantastic app.

Cheers.

genshi
Aug 23, 2007, 09:14 AM
Well, you have used bold so I guess you must be correct.

And Themes are still there, but in the old sense of themes they are gone, but still there, but gone?

IMHO, you are contributing to the confusion on what features are present in this new app. Making things bold doesn't make them true.

I don't think NickBates was only stating this as his personal opinion, it looked like he was trying to make a point that nobody here bothers to read the previous posts as he was simply restating what Nagromme had already stated in bold and Nagromme I think has had a pretty good track record, no? So, I don't think they used the bold to "prove" that it was true, they did it so you would notice it and read it and then do the research for yourself... seems like you may have missed the whole point here Sigamy and seems your being kind of petty as well?

As for me, I haven't had a chance to check out there differences yet, so I will reserve my opinion of what is in there and what is not, but it does look slick from just opening it!

pna
Aug 23, 2007, 10:00 AM
I don't know what to tell you, works fine here. You have an audio clip going to the end of the movie but it doesn't fade? What happens, does it just end abruptly?

I was just messing around with iMovie '08 this weekend, and ran into this issue, and yes, it just ends abruptly. If I dragged a track of music onto a clip and extended it to the end of the clip (and the end of the movie I was making), both the movie and audio clip would then just end abruptly, no fade out. If I dragged the audio clip onto the 'entire' movie, as indicated by the the entire project area becoming highlighted before I released the mouse, it faded out the music at the end of the project automatically. I never reconciled how to make it fade out the first way. If someone knows the proper way to do it, I'd love to hear it.

Stuipdboy1000
Aug 23, 2007, 10:37 AM
Geez, a 0.0.1 update, and it still is crap. :rolleyes:

Usually the x.0.1 etc. are just bug fixes or minor updates. When it gets to 7.1 it will probably add more effects or something like that. Like in iTunes.

Alistair1990
Aug 23, 2007, 10:37 AM
Well my iMovie is still broken. Worked find for a few days but now I get loads of buttons missing, video disappearing and reappearing randomly; I'v re-installed, repaired permissions etc etc - so glad I spent money on this product. :mad:

sonicboom
Aug 23, 2007, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post

Can you post some samples? As far as I know this hasn't been reported elsewhere.

There are some threads about the iMovie8's poor DV quality in the Apple discussion forums, here are a couple examples:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1090633

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1088568

akac
Aug 23, 2007, 11:28 AM
Nope. No use. I still get a kernel panic. Thanks for nothing.

(On a 2.5GHz PowerMac.)

You've got something far more wrong with your machine than iMovie...

akac
Aug 23, 2007, 11:30 AM
Until I test iMovie 8 myself (I use Final Cut Pro HD) I won't disagree with you ... but I find this very hard to believe. This is Apple we are talking about here ;)

The only reason its that hard is he wants slo-mo. Which I agree is a very often used "special effect". Honestly, iMovie 08 is the first one I would ask my wife (who is very good with computers, even setting up servers but who doesn't have a lot of free time or patience to learn new tools) to use. I disliked iMovie 06 as it was too limiting and complex at the same time. Now I can use iMovie 08 for fun stuff and FCE for more professional stuff.

kingtj
Aug 23, 2007, 11:36 AM
I just used iMovie '08 with a Sony hard-drive based camcorder yesterday.
Yes, it does work, but my experience with it wasn't very "smooth".

Basically, the first time I attached the camcorder to a USB port on the Mac, it launched iPhoto instead of iMovie '08, and proceeded to try to import a bunch of individual frames of movies as still photos!

I then closed out of iPhoto (after deleting all the junk it mistakenly imported), and tried to manually launch iMovie '08. The first time, nothing happened at all when iMovie '08 opened (leading me to believe this camcorder wasn't supported by it).

Then I read some comments on Apple's forums from people with the same camcorder. Apparently, most of them had to close and re-launch iMovie a second time while the camera was attached, and THEN it started working!

So I tried that, and yep - that finally worked! But then, iMovie '08 repeatedly crashed during creating of the "thumbnails" of the imported video. Every time I re-ran it, it appeared to continue converting the thumbnails from wherever it left off when it crashed though. So after about 5 re-launches of the app, it finally got everything imported.

In summary, this thing really felt like "beta quality" software...NOT some release version I should have paid for! I hope 7.01 fixes some of this!

Can someone please tell me if iMovie '08 works with all these Hard Drive camcorders??? I thought that's what they showed when they imported the video and it showed thumbnails before the import. Can anyone confirm that it works with all the Hard Drive camcorders??? Thanks :D

sonicboom
Aug 23, 2007, 11:46 AM
The only reason its that hard is he wants slo-mo. Which I agree is a very often used "special effect". Honestly, iMovie 08 is the first one I would ask my wife (who is very good with computers, even setting up servers but who doesn't have a lot of free time or patience to learn new tools) to use. I disliked iMovie 06 as it was too limiting and complex at the same time. Now I can use iMovie 08 for fun stuff and FCE for more professional stuff.

You got it wrong akac. Digitalclips was responding to me. I don't want slo-mo. I want my DV footage to look as good in the final movie as it does in the raw clip.

imovie8 kills the DV video quality on import (I previously posted links to threads which demo this).

Hence, imovie8 is not good for editing DV.

I'm surprised there isn't more outrage about this, but I guess people are distracted with feature comparisons instead of actually trying to use it.

martinmartin
Aug 23, 2007, 01:36 PM
If I have all of my video on an external hard drive, is there a way to 'point' iMovie 08 to that drive so that I can create projects and edit and save without the footage (aside from the final project footage) being saved on my internal drive.

For example, I had a very long video on my internal drive. I created a 2 minute project and then moved the long video from my internal drive to my external. But the project wasn't accessible after this.

I would like to store all of my video on the external drive, connect it when I want to create projects and edit, and save the projects on my internal drive. Is this possible?

Thanks.

edit: created a new thread with this question.

steveh
Aug 23, 2007, 01:47 PM

No.

Don't forget that the software that was included on the iLife '08 disc probably was wrapped the better part of a month before it was announced. It takes time to QA the master build(s), produce and package and distribute the packages.

There may well have been updates in process that started before the announcement, or were in process before the internal cutoff to be issued after release.

Happens all the time with software products.

joemama
Aug 24, 2007, 07:16 AM
I don't think NickBates was only stating this as his personal opinion, it looked like he was trying to make a point that nobody here bothers to read the previous posts as he was simply restating what Nagromme had already stated in bold and Nagromme I think has had a pretty good track record, no?

No, actually NickBates was being quite rude and immature. If you look at what I wrote, I prefaced it with "I need to do more research" and "if".

There was no need for his arrogance or unprofessionalism.

Kugo
Aug 25, 2007, 01:15 PM
I think they're putting all the old features back in. Can anyone check? Go Apple!

jpine
Aug 25, 2007, 06:48 PM
Here is a link for all of you who bought iLife recently but later found your computer too slow to use iMoive '08. It shows how to make code changes to '08 as a "workaround." I have not tried it. If the code change to iMoive '08 turns your Mac into a Windoz virus magnet, don't blame me. :-) http://www.teksanity.com/iMovie/iMovie_08_on_G4/Intro.html

alzatron
Aug 25, 2007, 10:09 PM
iMovie 08 is fine to edit a 3 minute video to share on youtube, but it lacks features that are needed for longer projects or if you want to make a DVD of your movie.

Most iMovie users I know make DVDs, and MUST have chapters.

After several days of experimenting with iMovie 08 I have found that I cannot use it. I have gone back to iMovie 06.

I am confident that Apple will eventually correct this mistake. (I understand that Apple has made iMovie 06 a free download for owners of iMovie 08!) I believe that the best course of action would be for Apple to continue upgrading iMovie 06 (iMovie HD) with full support for iDVD and DVD burning. Rename iMovie 08 (iVideo?) for small, quick little videos or slideshows for absolute beginners that don't want to burn a DVD.

MrSmith
Aug 26, 2007, 12:19 AM
This chapters thing again. My home moveis I always burn to DVD and they're always about an hour long. So I can't have chapters in '08? So if I burn my one-hour movie to DVD we have to watch it from the beginning or use fast forward?? :eek:

Wild-Bill
Aug 27, 2007, 01:16 AM

Doh !!!!

In my opinion, Apple made this (well, Jobs made Apple make this) for people to produce "edible garbage": clips for YouTube and nothing more.

AJsAWiz
Aug 27, 2007, 01:10 PM
This chapters thing again. My home moveis I always burn to DVD and they're always about an hour long. So I can't have chapters in '08? So if I burn my one-hour movie to DVD we have to watch it from the beginning or use fast forward?? :eek:

Yes you can create chapters. I posted the steps here a while ago ;)

Vanilla
Aug 27, 2007, 06:12 PM
I just wish they would hurry up and amend the d*mn software to import mpeg movies from iPhoto as well as the .avi it currently imports. It is soooooo frustrating that only my old videos from my previous camera are being selected, all Sony cybershot T20 vid's - which is my current camera - are being ignored...it's not as if mpeg is a niche format...jeez.

On another note I honestly feel they should have called this something completely different. This is NOT an upgrade, it's a brand new way of working with video, which frankly does not come out well when compared to iMovie HD.

I'm honestly confused. I've never experienced a company to 'upgrade' a product by removing/reducing that which attracted users in the first place, namely customisation. Its just weird.

But I'll live with it - and keep hold of my copy of iMovie HD within a firm rictus grip - as long as they expand the video formats from iPhoto they will acknowledge.

Vanilla