PDA

View Full Version : OS X Based iPods at Media Event in September?

MacRumors
Aug 23, 2007, 12:47 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider claims (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/23/apple_to_usher_in_era_of_mac_os_x_based_ipods.html) that Apple will be holding a media event "in mid to late September" to unveil OS X based iPods -- bringing OS X to its entire product line.

The rumor site expects "as many as four new models" many of which will utilize NAND flash memory, as well as the long awaited "full screen iPod".
Sources in the Far East -- where Apple manufacturers its digital music players -- have recently vouched for sightings of a "full screen" iPod, which they believe will finally make its debut ahead of this year's holiday shopping season.

Appleinsider also confirms that the leaked interface videos (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/21/6g-ipod-user-interface-redesign-and-videos/) consisted of genuine material for use on a click-wheel based iPod, also bringing in features such as iLife '08 "Events", and CoverFlow to the iPod interface.

Also, they teasingly mention the possibility of a new family of digitial devices due in 2008 also based on OS X. No details have are available on these upcoming devices.

The upcoming iPod revisions have been the focus of many recent rumors, with the most recent Nano images (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/22/ipod-nano-photos/) pulled from various sites at the request of Apple Legal.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/23/os-x-based-ipods-at-media-event-in-september/)

Zwhaler
Aug 23, 2007, 12:49 AM
Lets jusr hope the new full size iPods have large enough hard drives. 160GB anyone??

redAPPLE
Aug 23, 2007, 12:52 AM
lets just hope (or i for that matter) that they bring back firewire support.

fblack
Aug 23, 2007, 12:56 AM
I would like to see them bring back firewire too. OSX on the ipods is intresting anyone care to speculate what parts of OSX we might see? A wish list?

AlBDamned
Aug 23, 2007, 12:57 AM
I wonder if they'll look like this...

Chundles

Not going to happen. They ditched it for good reasons. One, it made financial sense to cut out components that the vast majority of users wouldn't need. Two, it allowed them to shrink the device substantially.

zap2

God, that would be nice....and out of left field too!!

I'm eager to see what Apple brings now....despite not being a huge fan of the new iMac Al.

evilgEEk

Would be nice, but I don't see it happening. At least current models still charge with the firewire power brick.

I think this is great, although I doubt I will buy one. Had they came out even just a year ago I would have been all over it, but I honestly don't use my current iPod very much anymore. Anymore I would rather just have a nano for exercising and casual listening.

crjeong
Aug 23, 2007, 01:00 AM

That looks awesome. Losing the click wheel type design would be murder for the iPod, its what makes it iconic. This would be a great way to intergrate this into a touch screen iPod. I'd buy that in a hearbeat.

kugino
Aug 23, 2007, 01:02 AM
though i'm planning on getting an iphone next jan. (when my verizon contract ends) i'm REALLY looking forward to the new ipods. if they have a full-screen ipod w/160GB i'm in...and a smaller nano would be nice too...yikes!

wha...? what ipod? ;)

fblack
Aug 23, 2007, 01:06 AM

I'm buying! :D

Not going to happen. They ditched it for good reasons. One, it made financial sense to cut out components that the vast majority of users wouldn't need. Two, it allowed them to shrink the device substantially.

I know, I know and usb is cheaper and firewire is not standard for most pc users. I just like firewire better.:(

The General
Aug 23, 2007, 01:07 AM
Come onnnnn iRack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE
:D:D

corywoolf
Aug 23, 2007, 01:09 AM
Apple could be working on a video camera. They just released the new iMovie with AVCHD support and they could definitely make the entire video process seamless with OS X based cameras. A bit of a stretch, but I am talking down the road a bit. Imagine a camera that takes still pictures and records video to flash and can upload directly to YouTube and Dot Mac instantly through the WiFi built into the camera. Maybe they could partner with RED to create it. It seams like they could really tie all of iLife into a device like this.

fblack
Aug 23, 2007, 01:11 AM
Come onnnnn iRack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE
:D:D

Yea, I remember seeing that one. Except if it was the real Steve Jobs all the reporters would be buying the whole iRack!:D

AlBDamned
Aug 23, 2007, 01:13 AM
wha...? what ipod? ;)

I know what you mean... (http://www.t3.co.uk/t3girls/t3girls/anastasia)

AoWolf
Aug 23, 2007, 01:14 AM
Also, they teasingly mention the possibility of a new family of digitial devices due in 2008 also based on OS X. No details have are available on these upcoming devices.

Well we have phones,mp3/videos players and computers. What else could it be? PDA highly doubt it, the iPhone fills allot of that rolls.

donlphi
Aug 23, 2007, 01:14 AM
The nano and video iPOD are going to consolidate into the final click wheel iPOD (iPOD Pocket Square). The top of the line $399 iPOD will be a phoneless iPhone. Kinda like Apple's version of the Dell Axim but focused on music and movies rather than taking notes.

This is all based on a some nightmares and dreams I've had over the last few nights. :D

fblack
Aug 23, 2007, 01:16 AM
Apple could be working on a video camera. They just released the new iMovie with AVCHD support and they could definitely make the entire video process seamless with OS X based cameras. A bit of a stretch, but I am talking down the road a bit. Imagine a camera that takes still pictures and records video to flash and can upload directly to YouTube and Dot Mac instantly through the WiFi built into the camera. Maybe they could partner with RED to create it. It seams like they could really tie all of iLife into a device like this.

I like that idea, and it would be cool if you could use the wireless to upload to any iTV so you could show family and friends stuff from your vacation leaving out the need to upload it to a mac first.

cr2sh
Aug 23, 2007, 01:18 AM
The upcoming iPod revisions have been the focus of many recent rumors, with the most recent Nano images (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/22/ipod-nano-photos/) pulled from various sites at the request of Apple Legal.

Those 9to5 guys are taking all the fun out of this stuff.

If it doesn't come from them it's all ******** as far as I'm concerned.

Gymnut
Aug 23, 2007, 01:19 AM
Well the back to school iPod promotion does end on the 15th of September so it would be a welcome to see some new iPods. If a true widescreen iPod is introduced I may have to ditch my iPod Photo.

fblack
Aug 23, 2007, 01:22 AM

Obviously its all in the superior design...of apple products.

http://www.t3.co.uk/__data/assets/fp_auto_layout_image/807172/t3-139-gal4.jpg

cr2sh
Aug 23, 2007, 01:26 AM
Obviously its all in the superior design...of apple products.

Maybe I'm just in a pissed off mood tonight.. but that has nothing to do with this thread and it has no reason to be posted here.:mad:

tpavell
Aug 23, 2007, 01:27 AM
I like that idea, and it would be cool if you could use the wireless to upload to any iTV so you could show family and friends stuff from your vacation leaving out the need to upload it to a mac first.

I was thinking Apple should put it's touch on a consumer digital camera. Imagine the entire backside as a touch screen. iPhoto runs right on the camera. It's one of those devices just about everyone has but the interfaces need help. Decent optics are easy to come by. It's all about the in interface.

Maybe they'd skip the camera and go straight to video.

fblack
Aug 23, 2007, 01:35 AM
Maybe I'm just in a pissed off mood tonight.. but that has nothing to do with this thread and it has no reason to be posted here.:mad:

Obviously you are in a mood. I wasn't looking to provoke anyone just making a joke and following the lead of some others who posted here (you know the post about the iRack and the other pic with the girl holding an ipod). I apologize if I offended you.

MacFly123
Aug 23, 2007, 01:38 AM
I am sooo freakin' excited. I have been waiting for these FOREVER!!!!!! So does anyone think that the new devices could be some sort of home entertainment center/media controller??? Kind of like those tablet remotes they have for expensive home theaters. Or do you think they will make the iPhone or the new iPods do things like that??? :D

Apple will soon rule the world hehe :D

dansgil
Aug 23, 2007, 01:45 AM
I just hope that Apple decides not to use the recessed headphone jack that's currently on the iPhone, or if they do, include an adapter in the box

Davowade
Aug 23, 2007, 01:46 AM
Come on apple, stop pissing about and do it already. A year is too long for a refresh cycle.

fblack
Aug 23, 2007, 01:50 AM
I was thinking Apple should put it's touch on a consumer digital camera. Imagine the entire backside as a touch screen. iPhoto runs right on the camera. It's one of those devices just about everyone has but the interfaces need help. Decent optics are easy to come by. It's all about the in interface.

Its not a bad idea, but do you think the back side of a camera is large enough for a touch screen? Looking at my Canon and Olympus it just doesn't seem quite large enough space.

I am sooo freakin' excited. I have been waiting for these FOREVER!!!!!! So does anyone think that the new devices could be some sort of home entertainment center/media controller??? Kind of like those tablet remotes they have for expensive home theaters. Or do you think they will make the iPhone or the new iPods do things like that??? :D

Apple will soon rule the world hehe :D

Well I can tell you from having used some of those remotes in the past that the interfaces can be cluttered. They could use some Apple redesign.

AlBDamned
Aug 23, 2007, 01:55 AM
Come on apple, stop pissing about and do it already. A year is too long for a refresh cycle.

Agreed, but hey it's not like they give a damn (year-long waits for the iMac, Mac Pro, Mac Mini etc etc) and it's not like it negatively impacts on stock price....

motulist
Aug 23, 2007, 01:56 AM

You're in a mood. There's nothing wrong with that post. Maybe you can do something to raise your mood, like watch a comedy movie or something.

ChuckG
Aug 23, 2007, 01:57 AM
...the new iPod Touch. Yep, I think the iPod line will grow, not only with the new iPod Nano with video, but at the high end, with a 160gb HDD-based iPod and/or the premium iPod Touch with ~8 and 16gb capacities.

I see the upgrades to the iPod Nano (if the pulled photos aren't proof enough) as a hint that the high-end iPod's physical controls are about to be replaced completely. Shifting the capabilities from the best-selling player makes room for an "experimental" model, such as the iPod Touch.

The most i see Apple doing with the iPod iPhone sans phone, is an eReader. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense to pack a browser in there. It has to perform something new, perhaps a new segment for Apple to venture into :eBooks.

(Podcasts have become a source of innovation. A mainstream eBook reader would give Apple access to a huge market that's crying for digitization.)

As with all loose ends with Apple rumors, it could end up being something so obvious, as the ultra portable MacBook Mini. :rolleyes:

fblack
Aug 23, 2007, 02:08 AM
I'd like to see a touchscreen tablet.

As far as the ipods if we have OSX then probably we will see some of the standard widgets.

Agreed, but hey it's not like they give a damn (year-long waits for the iMac, Mac Pro, Mac Mini etc etc) and it's not like it negatively impacts on stock price....

...and I thought we were supposed to have gotten away from the year-long waits with the shift to intel.

nagromme
Aug 23, 2007, 02:09 AM
A short/wide but still thin/light Nano with a bigger screen, retaining the clickwheel BUT running OS X behind the scenes, would sure be a fun gizmo for people to hack!

Just look at the crazy things people have their non-OS X Nanos doing:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1106745302271976470&q=ipod+nano+doom&total=48&start=0&num=20&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

AlBDamned
Aug 23, 2007, 02:14 AM

As far as the ipods if we have OSX then probably we will see some of the standard widgets.

...and I thought we were supposed to have gotten away from the year-long waits with the shift to intel.

El Jobso felt it unnecessary to say that only the notebooks would get nice, regular treatment with the Intel switch. ;)

Phormic
Aug 23, 2007, 02:26 AM
You know what I love about this? I'm loving how Apple just so easily ports OSX onto any computer or mobile device. Contrast this to say...oh I dunno, Windows CE, which is now being shown up for the useless lump of junk code it is. Six versions. Still rubbish.

surferfromuk
Aug 23, 2007, 02:36 AM
You've all seen the new ipod - it's the iphone less safari and phone but with a ton of flash.

It's that simple.

As for the 'mystery device' for '08 - I'm telling you folks here in August 2007 that it's an Apple brand 50" LCD Television integrating jaw dropping 2nd gen Apple TV media streamer technology whose new jewel in its crown will be safari based 'zoom' web browsing, an Apple class DVR (with coverflow) and ichat.

Remember the recent 'all hands' touch panel you saw - that's the controller for it!

Devil's Refugee
Aug 23, 2007, 02:39 AM
Does anyone remember this ?

http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/90/apple-...rface-for-ipod

Apparently a patent applied for last September.....wouldn't it be coincidence if the supposed refreshed lineup had this for the full screen 6G ??

aswitcher
Aug 23, 2007, 02:42 AM
A real OS will really rock. .Mac/Sync would be very nice if I can log in from any Mac my iPod is attached to.

BWhaler
Aug 23, 2007, 02:58 AM

Sadly, I think the chances of this happening are close to zero...

syriana
Aug 23, 2007, 02:59 AM
I'm thinking of a gps add-on that would fit in the iPhone and the new macOSX based iPod.
Touchscreen for guidance, google maps +maps on the drive.. working for pedestrian or in cars, with a charger/speaker integration maybe...
50$ for the harware, maybe more for upgradable maps.. syncs with iTunes, gives traffic conditions with safari..
Could be good...

Cloudsurfer
Aug 23, 2007, 03:01 AM
I really hope these new little 'fat' iPods will stay at their current price points. If it's going to play video, the low-end nano would probably have 4GB of storage, which I won't pay 199 for.

P.B.
Aug 23, 2007, 03:21 AM
Am I the only one who thinks "four new models" is meant as in:
- 2 nanos (8 and 16 gb)
- 2 video (40 and 100 gb)

and not:
- new nanos
- new iPod
- new shuffle
- new iPhone nano (or iPod video nano or whatever)

Much Ado
Aug 23, 2007, 03:28 AM
Mmm...

iMac
Mac-Nano
Mac-Shuffle

NewSc2
Aug 23, 2007, 03:28 AM
I hope they will bring full touchscreen capabilities, but I just don't really see this happening. First off, I doubt they will release a phone-less iPod (internet device). Second, that mockup video posted a couple months ago wasn't all that great and showed full clickwheel navigation. Widescreen iPod video looks likely, but I think Apple will focus efforts to differentiate the iPhone from the iPod (not have the iPod cannibalize iPhone sales).

Marx55
Aug 23, 2007, 03:44 AM
OS X Based iPods?

YES, YES, YES.

But not crippled like the iPhone. We need tons of those for our University, but with a full Mac OS X to install any application, and specially Keynote and PowerPoint.

Think of it as the ultimate handheld computer. The ultimate wireless presentation remote.

splintah
Aug 23, 2007, 04:01 AM
i hope the fullscreen ipod has wlan and is a tad bigger than the iphone
with 160 gig and all

i would love to have a osx based portable video player
with ability to logonto the inet

kugino
Aug 23, 2007, 04:08 AM
OS X Based iPods?

YES, YES, YES.

But not crippled like the iPhone. We need tons of those for our University, but with a full Mac OS X to install any application, and specially Keynote and PowerPoint.

Think of it as the ultimate handheld computer. The ultimate wireless presentation remote.

i highly doubt that a full install of OS X will be in the new ipods. it's not going to be an ultimate handheld computer...no, i don't know for sure and yes, i could be wrong. but so many here have ridiculous expectations for these updated ipods...

Wayfarer
Aug 23, 2007, 04:15 AM
Those 9to5 guys are taking all the fun out of this stuff.

If it doesn't come from them it's all ******** as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, those pics were fake... :rolleyes:

donlphi
Aug 23, 2007, 04:22 AM
OS X Based iPods?

YES, YES, YES.

I see a minor desire for full os x, but it won't happen.

Have you tried exporting Keynote as a Quicktime file and presented that way. I use it all the time. I know it's not exactly what you want to do, but it works.

donlphi
Aug 23, 2007, 04:29 AM
i highly doubt that a full install of OS X will be in the new ipods. it's not going to be an ultimate handheld computer...no, i don't know for sure and yes, i could be wrong. but so many here have ridiculous expectations for these updated ipods...

thank you... :)

Dear Steve,

I want an iPod with bluetooth stereo headphones, bluetooth syncing, full os x, wi-fi, a pony, a built in tap, an HD TV, and a BLU-RAY player.

Love,

MacRumors Dreamers

Even if all those things were to magically appear, half of you would bitch about the kind of bear that came out of the tap. Many would complain that the HD TV was only 1080i instead of 1080p. Half of you wanted an HD Disk not Blu Ray, and the pony doesn't run fast enough.

When it comes to the iPODs, just remember what Steve said a while back, "It's about the music"

Don't expect too many added features.

Hairball
Aug 23, 2007, 04:37 AM
Although a new iPod would be long overdue, just like the iMac was, I'm not holding my breath just yet.

twoodcc
Aug 23, 2007, 04:45 AM
well i hope it's true. we'll see. i really think it is though

MrPineapples
Aug 23, 2007, 04:46 AM
I'd love a phone-less iPhone (with wifi & a monster hard drive) but may be a little hopeful.

I expect what we'll get is a higher capacity 120gb+ for the high end, a few new features (cover flow, nicer gui) and a refreshed design.

My 60gb is full to the brim :(

dernhelm
Aug 23, 2007, 04:49 AM
A real OS will really rock. .Mac/Sync would be very nice if I can log in from any Mac my iPod is attached to.

No kidding. I was really hoping for a touch screen device like the iPhone, but an OS/X based device provide all of the practical features that the iPods are currently missing. This one being the biggest on my hit list.

iAlan
Aug 23, 2007, 04:51 AM

You're in a mood. There's nothing wrong with that post. Maybe you can do something to raise your mood, like watch a comedy movie or something.

Yeah, on your new full screen iPod Video!

Anyway, iMac and iLife in August, iPod's in September, Leopard in October - Christmas is looking expensive!

And i hear that the iPhone will be in Japan 'first quarter 2008' - I really hope so, I am janging out for one of those babies...

But not sure of carrier or package as the mobile phone market here is varstly different to the ROW in terms of contracts, etc

Evangelion
Aug 23, 2007, 04:55 AM

Why? What does FireWire give that USB does not? And before you say "it's faster": The HD in the iPod is pretty slow as it is. So the bottleneck is not the connection, it's the HD.

So why should they bring back FW?

Wayfarer
Aug 23, 2007, 05:03 AM

Dear Steve,

I want an iPod with bluetooth stereo headphones, bluetooth syncing, full os x, wi-fi, a pony, a built in tap, an HD TV, and a BLU-RAY player.

Love,

MacRumors Dreamers

Even if all those things were to magically appear, half of you would bitch about the kind of bear that came out of the tap. Many would complain that the HD TV was only 1080i instead of 1080p. Half of you wanted an HD Disk not Blu Ray, and the pony doesn't run fast enough.

When it comes to the iPODs, just remember what Steve said a while back, "It's about the music"

Quoted for Truth. :p

macintel4me
Aug 23, 2007, 06:03 AM
I wonder what an OS X based iPod Shuffle would look like. I wonder if Apple could figure out a way to put a small screen on that thing, tactical controls on the back and have insanely great usability at the same time. And of course wireless headphones. That's my perfect gym iPod.

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 06:05 AM
I'm really looking forward to an iPhone less iPod. The touch screen has a lot of potential and will allow us to do things we can't do with a clickwheel iPod. I've got my money ready and will be the first motherf*cker in my neighborhood to buy one. Hopefully it won't feature a sissy 16GB flash instead of a large capacity drive. 32GB is the minimum for me.

Why? What does FireWire give that USB does not? And before you say "it's faster": The HD in the iPod is pretty slow as it is. So the bottleneck is not the connection, it's the HD.

When I had a iPod Mini G1 I got a chance to use it with both USB2 and FW. UBS was noticeably quicker when transferring songs but FW was really fast when it came to big files over 50MB.

Most how of have probably noticed how the computer slows down when you're transferring files from the computer to your iPod. That's not the case with FW, it doesn't rely on computer's CPU for the syncing. All firewire devices have a small chip(processor) which communicate with the chip in the other device and in that way doesn't need the CPU to handle the syncing.

Further more if you have a FW hub connected to a port on the computer the devices connected to the hub will all individually get full bandwidth, where as USB devices sharing a port will share the bandwidth.

I'm a firewire africando and wish we would see it in more devices but the problem is Apple's high license fees which makes most manufacturer choose USB instead.

zedsdead
Aug 23, 2007, 06:05 AM
Quoted for Truth. :p

He was also pretty adamant at the iPhone launch at how the Mouse made the computer great, the Click Wheel made the iPod great, and how the Touch Screen will make the iPhone great...many people may be disappointed...

Even if touch screen does not come to the iPod, it likely will have a widescreen display...I can't see them keeping the same screen on the high end iPod. May actually be that double-sided patent Apple showed us a while back...navigation on the back with the click-wheel and small screen...Video on the other.

And all of this "I want an iPhone without the phone" business is simply a waste of time...it would eat too many sales of the iPhone...A touchscreen Video ipod (with photos/Calanders/contacts), very possible...just don't expect any Wifi.

Yateball
Aug 23, 2007, 06:16 AM
now comes the difficult task of figuring out where I'm gonna get the money from in order to buy this on launch day.

WTS: 80gb iPod video lol

excited for this though, I bet its gonna be a pretty sexy design

ju5tin81
Aug 23, 2007, 06:16 AM

So that iBook, Aluminium PowerBook and G3- Mid range G4 iMac users, can buy an iPod, without replacing their computers! (That may be good enough for what they use them for, EXCEPT for iPod support.)

USB 1 doesn't really count when syncing an iPod. Apple was very late into the USB 2 game, and their early adopters cannot replace their older FW iPods because of that mistake.

Phew... Rant over... So firewire support would be nice for those people....

dieselmac
Aug 23, 2007, 06:19 AM

Amen to that! One of the big reasons I never went from photo to video.:apple:

ju5tin81
Aug 23, 2007, 06:22 AM
I'm all smug anyway with my new MacBook Pro, so I don't need leagacy FW support. ;)

I wonder, if high capacity Flash iPods were on the cards, (No HD bottleneck) if FW800 would be a possibility? Just appeared on their entire iMac line for the first time.

Come on Steve, give the masses their full screen iPod, you know they want it! (I recall them even wanting it before the last .5 revision! Don't disappoint us all again!):D

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 06:36 AM
And all of this "I want an iPhone without the phone" business is simply a waste of time...it would eat too many sales of the iPhone.

No it won't. The iPhone comes with a 2 years economical liability an iPod doesn't. Further more the iPod with touch screen will come with high capacity unlike the iPhone only offer 4GB and 8GB.

They are two different products. Further more Steve has said that the cell phone market is their third business after the iPod. With that being said I think people should stop treating the iPhone like it's a new born baby which should get all the attention.

Dagless
Aug 23, 2007, 06:39 AM
I prefare USB now, my Firewire drives would act up in OSX. So I switched to using the USB cable and all's well.

I <3 Firewire but it's not entirely beneficial for iPods any more.

As for the rumours - I'm really starting to believe the next iPod will be a full screen effort. Though I'm still confused as to why Apple would do this considering the iPhone is only out in America right now. But meh. I'd buy an iPhoneless iPhone in an instant... so long as that instant is spread over 12 months at 5% APR.

(I kid, I'd never buy anything on credit :D uh oh that smilie gave my white text away)

nlivo
Aug 23, 2007, 06:42 AM
people i reckon a 2 megapixel camera will be on an iPod before safari.

jjneff
Aug 23, 2007, 06:44 AM
All I want is wifi with Safari browser on my ipod! If not I will be forced into getting an Archos 605 wifi or a Cowon Q5 but I would much prefer the ipod. I talked to the Apple store guy at Compusa yesterday and he said I can't tell you anything so I said I know but you can tell me if I should shop somewhere else and he said NO! I HOPE we will get wifi as this would be a great device, like surfing the net while listening to music checking your e-mail, downloading movies via wifi from itunes. Come on Apple! No it won't kill the iPhone because its not a phone Apple will not make a Skype widget!

vandlism
Aug 23, 2007, 06:55 AM
So Firewire obviously makes sense on hard drives and video cameras, because you need that constant speedy transfer of data. With an iPod, you sync once and you're pretty much done. Though with the advent of movies on the music store, as well as more video podcasts, maybe it makes sense to have firewire for these larger files. Though the added costs and size could completely destroy that argument.

Roy Hobbs
Aug 23, 2007, 06:59 AM

Ha ha just like the iPhone a few widgets at best

Roy Hobbs
Aug 23, 2007, 07:01 AM
OS X Based iPods?

YES, YES, YES.

No no no
Won't happen

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 07:07 AM
All I want is wifi with Safari browser on my ipod! If not I will be forced into getting an Archos 605 wifi or a Cowon Q5 but I would much prefer the ipod. I talked to the Apple store guy at Compusa yesterday and he said I can't tell you anything so I said I know but you can tell me if I should shop somewhere else and he said NO! I HOPE we will get wifi as this would be a great device, like surfing the net while listening to music checking your e-mail, downloading movies via wifi from itunes. Come on Apple! No it won't kill the iPhone because its not a phone Apple will not make a Skype widget!

There is eventually be an iPod with WiFi and Safari but not anytime soon. 1-2 year at least until we see something like that.

ozontheroad
Aug 23, 2007, 07:10 AM
excited for this though, I bet its gonna be a pretty sexy design

just like the new iMac :D not

freeny
Aug 23, 2007, 07:12 AM
bring it on! :)

Yateball
Aug 23, 2007, 07:17 AM
There is eventually be an iPod with WiFi and Safari but not anytime soon. 1-2 year at least until we see something like that.

I disagree... they have the means to do it right now, and I believe it will be something they implement either this next update or the one after that.

Why you think they'd wait an entire 2 years is beyond me, only because they have a device out there already with this function.

Not saying it will happen, cuz it is all rumours after all lol. but it could easily be included in the next update

*fingers crossed*

Proud Liberal
Aug 23, 2007, 07:34 AM
Unfortunately, this news doesn't excite me. I have a HUGE music collection that I want with me at ALL times (please - for the 13-18 year old crowd on this forum: don't tell me that I can't possibly ever listen to all that music. It's not for you to decide how I use MY iPod. I'm a business traveler & don't have time to decide what 8GBs of music I'm going to take with me from trip to trip. Nor do I want to.) Therefore, the thought of Apple going to NAND flash for all their iPods only means 1 thing: smaller capacity iPods. That's not an option for me. Nor is it negotiable. If they go this route, they will lose a segment of their customer base that IS willing to pay premium prices for a high capacity player.

I also have the iPhone. Steve Jobs once said that it's the "best iPod" they've ever designed. I have to disagree. While I like what they've done with the iPod interface on the iPhone, for some reason they decided to eliminate the "Shuffle-->Albums" feature that is on the 5G iPod. I specifically switched to the iPod for that very feature. I listen to mostly full albums, in a random order. On the iPhone there is no way to do this. Why eliminate a feature? Doesn't make sense to me.

MovieCutter
Aug 23, 2007, 07:37 AM
This is all based on a some nightmares and dreams I've had over the last few nights. :D

That's just sad...and disturbing.

badcrumble
Aug 23, 2007, 07:39 AM
I think that porting versions of OS X to the entire iPod family (except the Shuffle, of course) would MUCH better explain the Leopard delay than the explanation of just tweaking the iPhone's version of Mac OS X.

Digital Skunk
Aug 23, 2007, 07:46 AM

It better not have a click wheel anymore. It has to be full touch screen.

Squire
Aug 23, 2007, 07:52 AM
Unfortunately, this news doesn't excite me. I have a HUGE music collection that I want with me at ALL times (please - for the 13-18 year old crowd on this forum: don't tell me that I can't possibly ever listen to all that music. It's not for you to decide how I use MY iPod. I'm a business traveler & don't have time to decide what 8GBs of music I'm going to take with me from trip to trip. Nor do I want to.) Therefore, the thought of Apple going to NAND flash for all their iPods only means 1 thing: smaller capacity iPods. That's not an option for me. Nor is it negotiable. If they go this route, they will lose a segment of their customer base that IS willing to pay premium prices for a high capacity player.

Very interesting post. The high capacity is why I bought my iPod in the first place. The idea of picking 10-20 songs (which is what I was doing with my first mp3 player) wasn't that far removed from making mixed tapes every couple of days. And the Creative Jukebox, despite its horrible appearance, nearly got my business at one point. I also like to have all of my music-- or as much as possible-- with me at all times. Yes, they should have at least one iPod for people like us. Jam that new 160 GB puppy into it and use flash for the lower-end models.

-Squire

Thomas2006
Aug 23, 2007, 07:58 AM
Since all the connectors since the 3G iPods are the same, couldn't you just buy a FireWire cable and use it?

Evangelion
Aug 23, 2007, 08:01 AM
So that iBook, Aluminium PowerBook and G3- Mid range G4 iMac users, can buy an iPod, [B]without replacing their computers!

Easy solution: get a new computer. And besides: Al PB's did have USB2-ports, as did iBook G4. iMacs have had USB2 since 2003.

Phew... Rant over... So firewire support would be nice for those people....

Those people are few and far between, and their numbers are diminishing every passing day.

When I had a iPod Mini G1 I got a chance to use it with both USB2 and FW. UBS was noticeably quicker when transferring songs but FW was really fast when it came to big files over 50MB.

Is it, really? I would guess that USB2 is more than enough to saturate the slow-spinning HD in the iPod.

Most how of have probably noticed how the computer slows down when you're transferring files from the computer to your iPod. That's not the case with FW, it doesn't rely on computer's CPU for the syncing.

CPU's are so fast these days that such slowdowns are neglible at best. I haven't seen those, hell I didn't see them on my 1.25Ghz G4 Mini!

Further more if you have a FW hub connected to a port on the computer the devices connected to the hub will all individually get full bandwidth, where as USB devices sharing a port will share the bandwidth.

I don't have FW-hub, most other people don't have one either.

I'm a firewire africando and wish we would see it in more devices but the problem is Apple's high license fees which makes most manufacturer choose USB instead.

It's not just that, Firewire is simply more difficult do implement than USB is, due to added complexity. It's OK to like FW (hell, I like it myself!), but that still doesn't mean that it should be forcibly shoehorned to places where it's not really needed.

So Firewire obviously makes sense on hard drives and video cameras, because you need that constant speedy transfer of data. With an iPod, you sync once and you're pretty much done. Though with the advent of movies on the music store, as well as more video podcasts, maybe it makes sense to have firewire for these larger files.

Like I said, the HD in the iPod wouldn't be fast enough to really take advantage of the extra bandwidth.

vandlism
Aug 23, 2007, 08:13 AM
Since all the connectors since the 3G iPods are the same, couldn't you just buy a FireWire cable and use it?

The new iPods don't have internals that support firewire file transfer. Though you can use a firewire cable to charge any iPod with a dock connector.

On a related note, since I don't have my firewire cable anymore, who misses being able to charge your iPod off of firewire while your PowerBook sleeps?

KilGil27
Aug 23, 2007, 08:13 AM

Dear Steve,

Love,

MacRumors Dreamers

I hope a bear doesn't come out of my iPod :eek:

atari1356
Aug 23, 2007, 08:15 AM

Nice lighting! :D

Evangelion
Aug 23, 2007, 08:16 AM

you can charge over FW, but not sync.

t0mat0
Aug 23, 2007, 08:17 AM
Put me down for the 25th (a Tuesday) or the 26th September.
O2 contracts (might go on sale/on sale from October 1st), new ipods, new nanos (shuffles either ten or October), Mac Pro bump, possible MacBook bump, iPhone updates, Xserve updates.

kddpop
Aug 23, 2007, 08:23 AM
Easy solution: get a new computer. And besides: Al PB's did have USB2-ports, as did iBook G4. iMacs have had USB2 since 2003.

actually, not all PB's had USB2. my rev a 12" does not. nor does it have dvi out. those things were added in rev b.

im happy with my new macbook (with USB2) and waiting/hoping for the new large capacity ipods.

~kyle

Rolltideguy77
Aug 23, 2007, 08:27 AM
I kind of hope the are fullscreen, with customizable backgrounds (wallpapers)similar to what you could do on most cell phones. Perhaps maybe some sort of animation similar to Zune. I also would like to see an FM transmitter as well.

Mgkwho
Aug 23, 2007, 08:35 AM
September 11th September 11th September 11th...

-=|Mgkwho

bananas
Aug 23, 2007, 08:46 AM
You know what I love about this? I'm loving how Apple just so easily ports OSX onto any computer or mobile device. Contrast this to say...oh I dunno, Windows CE, which is now being shown up for the useless lump of junk code it is. Six versions. Still rubbish.

That's true.
and there are many devices I'd rather like to see running OS X. GPS systems for instance. I know they are rumored to be in Mercedes cars soon, but I'd like to get a handheld one.

iJawn108
Aug 23, 2007, 08:47 AM

Does she coming with it?

duky
Aug 23, 2007, 08:52 AM
Its not a bad idea, but do you think the back side of a camera is large enough for a touch screen? Looking at my Canon and Olympus it just doesn't seem quite large enough space.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/22/sonys-cyber-shot-t200-and-t70-get-officialer/

That screen's as big as iPhone's..

vandlism
Aug 23, 2007, 08:58 AM
That's true.
and there are many devices I'd rather like to see running OS X. GPS systems for instance. I know they are rumored to be in Mercedes cars soon, but I'd like to get a handheld one.

Perhaps GPS is their next venture, since they're rumored to come out with another line of digital devices in 2008. Handheld GPS as well as working with car manufacturers to get all of that integrated in. Who needs iPod connectivity (though I'm sure it'll be there) when you can use Wi-Fi and have your GPS sync with iTunes everytime you park in the driveway.

mike dunx
Aug 23, 2007, 09:05 AM
Does she coming with it?

lol!

there was the same debate about having firewire when the first video iPod came out. I don't think they're going to add it this time either. It'd be nice though, help those movie transfers go more quickly.

dlastmango
Aug 23, 2007, 09:08 AM
What would this allow us to do with our ipods? would this be a small tablet with wi-fi internet? I know we'll have to wait to find out...:(
Chris

goosnarrggh
Aug 23, 2007, 09:09 AM
I think that porting versions of OS X to the entire iPod family (except the Shuffle, of course) would MUCH better explain the Leopard delay than the explanation of just tweaking the iPhone's version of Mac OS X.

Really?

I would have thought that if they're going down this road, they'll have wiped the table clean on the previous iPod hardware, and built up as much of a common platform as they could (CPU type, logic chipset, Flash or HDD... you know, the underlying architecture).

Then, the act of "porting" OS X from the iPhone to the next generation iPod would be limited to removing the non-applicable features and then "tweaking" the user interface to the unique characteristics appropriate to each form factor's human/computer interface.

The massive engineering effort would have gone into getting OS X to boot on their ARM architecture in the first place, and that was taken care of under the umbrella of the iPhone project.

(except the Shuffle, of course)
Who's to say that the Shuffle wouldn't also benefit from the addition of OS X? The vast majority of the stuff going on in a typical OS is totally independent from what's visible on the screen at any point in time.

Much Ado
Aug 23, 2007, 09:15 AM

Why? Multi-touch is only useful when you have a variety of different interfaces.

An iPod needs a click wheel because it basically does one function- and a tactile interface is an important part of that (controlling music in your bag, pocket etc.)

milo
Aug 23, 2007, 09:18 AM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the current promotion for students to get a free nano with the purchase of a laptop.

It ends september 16, probably around when a new one would be announced. Apple has announced new ipods around the end of this promotion in the past.

rockthecasbah
Aug 23, 2007, 09:19 AM
YES THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):D;)

I cannot wait to ditch my 4th gen for a full screen! They say up to 4 new models, so that could mean Shuffle, Nano, Full Screen, and a new model? Perhaps maybe a NAND regular size model with a click wheel? Oh the possibilities! I'm so excited :D

ju5tin81
Aug 23, 2007, 09:30 AM
Easy solution: get a new computer.

Stop flaunting your wealth, it upsets me.

:rolleyes:

hayesk
Aug 23, 2007, 09:40 AM

What? Plastic mannequins holding fake iPods? Surely you don't believe they look like real women?

gugy
Aug 23, 2007, 09:41 AM

It looks really good!!!!......................................the girl!:D

jfmartin
Aug 23, 2007, 09:42 AM
YES THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):D;)

I cannot wait to ditch my 4th gen for a full screen! They say up to 4 new models, so that could mean Shuffle, Nano, Full Screen, and a new model? Perhaps maybe a NAND regular size model with a click wheel? Oh the possibilities! I'm so excited :D

The iPod Mini will return and will be more like the current 5.5 generation iPod (same OS)... but all flash based and smaller and thinner... all flash based (8 gigs, 16 gigs)... the top of the line iPod will be full screen with hard disk based... 30 gigs, 80 gigs and maybe more...

The lineup at the end of september will be as follow:

iPod Shuffle: same as today

iPod Nano: same as today (2-8 gigs)

iPod Mini: 8-16 gigs, new form factor: smaller and lot thinner than current 5.5 G iPod, same OS as the current iPod 5.5G, video capable, etc.

iPod: hard disk based, OS X based, touch screen, iPhone interface, full screen... think of it has the current iPhone design but without the top and bottom black part... so smaller than the iPhone...

This new line up respond to the market demands: better high end feature, smaller capacity form factor with more functionnality (hence the return of the iPod mini)...

And by the way, iPod mini... MacBook Mini... pretty clean naming comvention...

JF

TwoSyllables
Aug 23, 2007, 09:48 AM
I, for one, am not terribly excited about an iPod that is essentially an iPhone sans the Phone. My primary use for my iPod is for listening to music in my (totally cute <3 ) car. My iPhone is WAY too complicated of a device for me to use for that. The last thing most people need is the added complexity of a touch screen device for listening to music while driving.

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 10:10 AM

iAudio and creative have launched their 16GB Nano competitors priced at $250. Next year they will get the capacity bumped up to 32GB and the year after that 64GB and the capacity will be doubled every single year.

Sure there will be a slight halt for a year or so but then the capacity whoring will continue on. Apple will not lose customers at all. The dumped the HDD based 6GB iPod Mini in favor for a flash based 4GB Nano and they haven't had problems selling them at all. Flash will most likely debut in the big iPod at the end of next year in 32GB/64GB flavor which satisfying for most people.

Flash is the future and offer many benefits compared with HDD such as speed, lower battery consumption, durability and better reading times. The whole industry will in the next 24 months switch over to Flash for all their DAPs.

The revolution has already started.

Some times we have to take a small step backwards to make a giant leap forward.

Proud Liberal
Aug 23, 2007, 10:28 AM
The dumped the HDD based 6GB iPod Nano in favor for a flash based 4GB Nano and they haven't had problems selling them at all.

AFAIK, the iPod Nano has NEVER had a HDD - they have always been flash based players from their intro in 2005. Are you talking about the Mini?

I can assure you that those of us with large music collections (60GB & higher) who want to carry our ENTIRE collection are not going buy a lower capacity player just to have the latest iPod. And I can't see Apple consciously deciding to eliminate that segment of the iPod market. From a business perspective, it makes no sense. If there was no demand for 80GB iPods, Apple would not sell them. If there was no demand for 120/160GB HDDs, Samsung & Toshiba would not make them.

vandlism
Aug 23, 2007, 10:31 AM
The dumped the HDD based 6GB iPod Nano in favor for a flash based 4GB Nano and they haven't had problems selling them at all. Flash will most likely debut in the big iPod at the end of next year in 32GB/64GB flavor which satisfying for most people.

There's a fairly large difference from making a small product smaller by dropping 2 gigs (not much) and taking a large capacity iPod (80gb) and making it more expensive (higher capacity flash modules are hella expensive) while decreasing capacity by a significant amount, instead of increasing.

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 10:49 AM
AFAIK, the iPod Nano has NEVER had a HDD - they have always been flash based players from their intro in 2005. Are you talking about the Mini?

I can assure you that those of us with large music collections (60GB & higher) who want to carry our ENTIRE collection are not going buy a lower capacity player just to have the latest iPod. And I can't see Apple consciously deciding to eliminate that segment of the iPod market. From a business perspective, it makes no sense. If there was no demand for 80GB iPods, Apple would not sell them. If there was no demand for 120/160GB HDDs, Samsung & Toshiba would not make them.

Yes I meant the Mini.

Believe me I have giant collection too over 35GB + family guy episode I want to watch on a wide screen iPod. I'm one of you guys too waiting for a new high capacity iPod. But there's more than just capacity Flash does have some very nice advantages.

Then there is the scarcity, especially amongs us music freaks. 32GB/64GB might seen little to some of us but the same can be said about 100GB. I could easily fill a 120GB iPod if I wanted just by ripping all my CDs in losseless and filling it will all my favorite artists album from the first one to the latest one.

As long as I can carry at least 10 000 songs with me I'm quite happy. Carrying more with me would be even more amazing but at the end of the day there's no capacity which can't be filled by any off us.

The consumption of flash memories in increasing and so is the production and in the near future the prices will be rock dropping and before you know it 64GB will become 128GB.

currentinterest
Aug 23, 2007, 11:03 AM
The interface posted on the Internet will likely be used for both the Nano and the iPod Touch. In the case of the Nano, the click wheel will be as is; in the case of the iPod Touch, it will be virtual and displayed on the widescreen. When movies are played on the Touch, they will be displayed full screen as on the iPhone. That may be the only difference between the two except for flash vs. HD drive options. WiFi and Safari are doubtful at this point. Remember, these are "transitional" devices.

zwida
Aug 23, 2007, 11:15 AM
Does moving to OSX on iPods save Apple anything on licensing? I don't know what the terms of the deal were with Pixo (way, way, wayback when), or if there are any other licenses that can be superseded by this.

Just a thought...

ChrisA
Aug 23, 2007, 11:35 AM

The best, easyst to use user interfaces for a camer are mechanical. Rings that you turn, buttons and so on. they need to be operable without the need to look at them because a photographer will have his eye on the subject. Anything that requires your eyes to use is not good.

Well, I'll take half of that back. There are two modes of camera use (1) while you are taking pictures and (2) after you have taken the pictures. Toutch screen and menues work well in mode #2 and are horrible in #1. So a mix would not be bad.

The problem with cameras is that they really are hard to make at least if you want to go past to point and shoot models. And as for good optics being easy to come by. The only good optics I see comes from companies that have been in the optics business for 50+ years

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 12:12 PM
The interface posted on the Internet will likely be used for both the Nano and the iPod Touch. In the case of the Nano, the click wheel will be as is; in the case of the iPod Touch, it will be virtual and displayed on the widescreen. When movies are played on the Touch, they will be displayed full screen as on the iPhone. That may be the only difference between the two except for flash vs. HD drive options. WiFi and Safari are doubtful at this point. Remember, these are "transitional" devices.

The interface posted a while ago was for the Nano. The iPod touch won't have a virtual clickwheel, it's completely useless when Apple has something better.

Here is the type of interface the iPod touch will have:

http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/90/apple-describes-new-interface-for-ipod

johnmcboston
Aug 23, 2007, 12:13 PM

I'd like to see you operate your touch screen only interface while the device is in your pocket or bag...

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 12:31 PM
I'd like to see you operate your touch screen only interface while the device is in your pocket or bag...

Optional shuffle shaped remote control.

calculus
Aug 23, 2007, 12:38 PM
Optional shuffle shaped remote control.

...just like the one that came with the third generation iPods.

Taylor C
Aug 23, 2007, 12:43 PM
That patent application is from october of 2006. It's most likely for the iPhone.

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 12:49 PM
That patent application is from october of 2006. It's most likely for the iPhone.

If you look a little more carefully at the illustrations the patent focuses on music, pictures and movies which is basically what the iPod is all about. Further more the interface is superior to the one on the iPhone, look at all the nice little shortcuts and the now playing screen. Some of it was off course used for the iPhone but will be featured on an iPod and fully optimized to offer the best music/movie playback experience possible with a touch screen.

DesignerOnMac
Aug 23, 2007, 01:03 PM
No it won't. The iPhone comes with a 2 years economical liability an iPod doesn't. Further more the iPod with touch screen will come with high capacity unlike the iPhone only offer 4GB and 8GB.

They are two different products. Further more Steve has said that the cell phone market is their third business after the iPod. With that being said I think people should stop treating the iPhone like it's a new born baby which should get all the attention.

I agree with you homeboy. I am with you that a touch screen iPod is a different product than the iPhone. It is meant for a different market. Someone also said, 'An iPod without a click wheel, would not be an iPod!" WFT?? Kill the click wheel and bring on the touch pad iPod!! Old technology anyway......

Don Bagles
Aug 23, 2007, 01:34 PM
I have been waiting for this ever since the iPhone was announced. I'm buying the top of the line model on the day they're released!

currentinterest
Aug 23, 2007, 05:29 PM
The virtual click wheel has been patented by Apple and may very well be seen in an iPod.

Also from 2006: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/apple-touchscreen-patent-documentation-154248.php

Here is a reasonable mock-up:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/10/so-this-is-the-video-ipod-eh/

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 05:35 PM
The virtual click wheel has been patented by Apple and may very well be seen in an iPod.

Also from 2006: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/apple-touchscreen-patent-documentation-154248.php

But that's from Feb 2006. In September they showed us something even better:

http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/90/apple-describes-new-interface-for-ipod

But the click wheel main tool in the patents filed is for scrolling rather than navigating which is what most people have in mind when they think of a virtual click wheel.

Lesser Evets
Aug 23, 2007, 05:40 PM
I want a 30" portable, pocket sized iPod video which doubles as an exciting sex partner.

...well if you guys can ask for fantasy iPod stuff, why can't I?

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 05:46 PM
doubles as an exciting sex partner.

*Steve pulls out of his pocket*.............the new iDildo - Touch it!

It comes in glossy black & white + a Pamella Andersson version.

24 hours battery life, dock adapter and a wiping clotch to clean off any finger prints, kebab sauce or smudge.

knelto
Aug 23, 2007, 05:52 PM

It just dawned on me that the iPod could have the virtual click wheel interface AND the iPhone like flick scrolling. You could just pick your preference under Settings or something. Didn't occur to me until just now. That could satisfy both parties and is as easy as a software switch.

Without looking at the iPod, you can go next track, back a track, volume up/down, and pause/stop (from what I remember, never owned one personally). If it had the volume up/down switch like the iPhone (which is debatable, for aesthetic reasons) there's that, and if they released earbuds with the button on it there's pause and next track. All you'd lose is previous track, which to me could be solved on the earbud button: one click = next, two = previous, hold = pause.

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 06:04 PM
It just dawned on me that the iPod could have the virtual click wheel interface AND the iPhone like flick scrolling. You could just pick your preference under Settings or something. Didn't occur to me until just now. That could satisfy both parties and is as easy as a software switch.

Now that you mentioned it flicking is really a who handed operation since it is done best with an index finger. Scrolling using a circular motion can be done with the thumb from the hand holding the device, and is much more quicker and efficient than flicking too. That is important since iPods have always been designed to be used with hand and controlled using the thumb only.

Damn Apple are geniuses :apple::apple::apple::apple:

ipearx
Aug 23, 2007, 06:08 PM
It really isn't very exciting that they will be OS X based if it's closed like the iPhone. At the very least I guess it will be more easily hackable.

http://bla.st/iphone/

Virgil-TB2
Aug 23, 2007, 09:02 PM
Not going to happen. They ditched it for good reasons. One, it made financial sense to cut out components that the vast majority (?) of users wouldn't need. Two, it allowed them to shrink the device substantially(?).I think you are really, really, really, really, overstating your case here. :)

FireWire is only useless to people that have PC's that don't support FireWire, whereas all Apple computers have for years and years. FireWire is much faster than USB in practice and a better standard all around. It should be the preferred connection for any device wanting to regularly transfer gigabytes of files, and also would not add much at all to the internal volume of any device if it replaced the similar components already there for USB.

Apple made the decision to drop FireWire from the iPods when USB 2.0 came out and all the other PC manufacturers stupidly failed to even bother supporting FireWire because the reported speed of USB 2.0 was supposed to be the same. While FireWire was much faster in practice, USB 2.0 was cheaper and once all the cheap PC makers jumped on it Apple had switch so as to make the iPod available for Windows users.

That was the main decision, make a better device, or make a slightly crappier slower device that can be used on Windows as well as Mac. FireWire is still faster than USB and the FireWire 800 spec twice as fast as that.

coffeecty
Aug 23, 2007, 09:05 PM
Ok, so we'll have an iPod with touch, and a square metallic nano. Are they just gonna let the shuffle stay the same?

Virgil-TB2
Aug 23, 2007, 09:19 PM
Am I the only one who thinks "four new models" is meant as in:
- 2 nanos (8 and 16 gb)
- 2 video (40 and 100 gb)

and not:
- new nanos
- new iPod
- new shuffle
- new iPhone nano (or iPod video nano or whatever)I don't think you're the only one, but it sure is a depressing line-up if that's the case.

I would hope it's something like this:

- 2 new iPod "Touch" (two diff. sizes of RAM)
- fatPod/squarePod whatever, (yawn)
- iPhone nano (like a current nano, but with phone function)

In the case of the 2 top models, I think everyone is forgetting the patents they recently filed on WiFi for iPods with sharing. I am expecting that the new "iPhone like" iPods will have social music sharing functions that put Zune to shame, as well as a lot of cool graphic capabilities. I would hope that the reason they are thicker than iPhone is the really decent speakers they have in the back, and a nice little cradle so you can set it up on the table like a TV set.

Mostly I am still hoping against hope for the iPhone nano in the original candybar format. In my vision this would be a cheap-ass, pay as you go phone that could be mass produced and used on any network you like. I mostly hope this as I live in Canada and there is just no way we are getting iPhone up here for years until the evil Rogers Corporation (Canada's version of AT&T), reduces their prices by 200%.

Virgil-TB2
Aug 23, 2007, 09:27 PM
Why? Multi-touch is only useful when you have a variety of different interfaces.

An iPod needs a click wheel because it basically does one function- and a tactile interface is an important part of that (controlling music in your bag, pocket etc.)Have you heard of something called "CoverFlow"?
It's designed for flipping through albums of this stuff called "Music." :rolleyes:

Apple would be crucified in the media if at none of the new iPods have a touch screen like the iPhone. They would lose millions in stock value alone, they simply have to do this, no question.

I'm thinking they will be expensive though and thus the crappy little "fatPod" with the clickwheel, which will hopefully be cheap enough to offset it's intense ugliness.

ingenious
Aug 23, 2007, 09:35 PM
BTW, those pics were fake... :rolleyes:

Thankfully. Those "fat" iPods were ridiculously ugly.

Virgil-TB2
Aug 23, 2007, 09:36 PM
Now that you mentioned it flicking is really a who handed operation since it is done best with an index finger. Scrolling using a circular motion can be done with the thumb from the hand holding the device, and is much more quicker and efficient than flicking too. That is important since iPods have always been designed to be used with hand and controlled using the thumb only.

Damn Apple are geniuses :apple::apple::apple::apple:I think some people are forgetting about this thing:

Wayfarer
Aug 23, 2007, 09:41 PM
I think some people are forgetting about this thing:

Cool, I forgot the current iPod shuffle had a previous incarnation. Ahh... how I love that little iPod remote. :cool:

Virgil-TB2
Aug 23, 2007, 09:44 PM
He was also pretty adamant at the iPhone launch at how the Mouse made the computer great, the Click Wheel made the iPod great, and how the Touch Screen will make the iPhone great...many people may be disappointed....You could be right, but the great Steve also said something to the effect of "sometimes change is hard but necessary" and went on for quite a bit about "touching your music" while he giggled like a schoolgirl.

Also, Apple is putting CoverFlow at the centre of everything, including the entire OS in Leopard. The only "real" implementation of it, (or arguably the best implementation of it), is on the iPhone with the touchscreen. This was referred to time and time again as "The best iPod we have ever made."

I don't think it's even thinkable that they would make the new iPods "The second best iPods ever made."

Ha ze
Aug 23, 2007, 10:37 PM
who wants to guess the event will be September 18th? Current buy a mac get an ipod deal ends sunday the 16th

AlBDamned
Aug 23, 2007, 11:46 PM
What? Plastic mannequins holding fake iPods? Surely you don't believe they look like real women?

I think you need to get out more. ;)

Multimedia
Aug 23, 2007, 11:48 PM
I'll be buying two of the top of the line Video iPod the day it ships - one for me and one for my son.

Don Bagles
Aug 24, 2007, 02:00 AM
I'll be buying two of the top of the line Video iPod the day it ships - one for me and one for my son.

Amen.

I'll be buying whatever their most expensive model is, the day it comes out, simply because i've been waiting for over a year to get a video iPod with a screen larger than 2.5".

goosnarrggh
Aug 24, 2007, 07:09 AM
Cool, I forgot the current iPod shuffle had a previous incarnation. Ahh... how I love that little iPod remote. :cool:

I actually do use that thing to listen to the radio. I hope they finally get around to letting us tune in without having to buy an accessory.

Kugo
Aug 25, 2007, 12:54 PM
Wow. Tool cool. I don't care if they have 160 GB hard drives. If Apple make it - I will buy it!

Too cool.

Don Bagles
Aug 25, 2007, 03:27 PM
I think Apple is gonna blow us away with these iPods.

The iPhone is a phone, and anything else that it does is a bonus on top of the connectivity features.

The iPod has always been Apple's main focus in the portable media player market, and if including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Safari, and a 1.3 Megapixel camera in their next iPod will increase sales by alot, then they will do it.

The only thing the iPod will never do, is come with a phone plan. It won't get online via AT&T or any other mobile carrier, because it isn't a phone. But they'll do everything else they possibly can with it. The more the better.

homeboy
Aug 25, 2007, 09:02 PM
The iPod has always been Apple's main focus in the portable media player market, and if including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Safari, and a 1.3 Megapixel camera in their next iPod will increase sales by alot, then they will do it.

I can say that you can forget about Safari in the iPod any time the coming 18 months. Apple always takes one thing at the time and do it correct. The iPod is now in the process of becoming a "perfect" media device.

When that is done and mastered it be turned into a communication device. Forget about a camera too since it doesn't add anything to the music/video experience.

WiFi is highly unlikely this year but very much not out of the question since Apple might want to turn it into a Frontrow/iTune remote control.

BiikeMike
Aug 26, 2007, 12:58 AM
HAHAHA!

A short Google of "September 5 iPod" brought me to This (http://www.macrumors.com/2004/08/26/hp-ipod-to-appear-september-5/) Link :p

zwida
Aug 26, 2007, 10:46 AM
HAHAHA!

A short Google of "September 5 iPod" brought me to This (http://www.macrumors.com/2004/08/26/hp-ipod-to-appear-september-5/) Link :p

Hilarious. Carly, Carly, where have you gone...?

1dterbeest
Aug 26, 2007, 11:10 AM
how would having an osx based ipod take away from iphone sales? if anything, it should help iphone sales in the long run.

some kid gets sick of having his Razr AND his OSXipod in his pocket and decides to sell both and get an iphone LATER at the end of his Verizon contract.

in the end, i think an osx ipod could promote the iphone's convergence of technologies.

homeboy
Aug 26, 2007, 12:38 PM
how would having an osx based ipod take away from iphone sales?

I think people are in general over excited about OS X iPod. Just because it will it doesn't mean that you'll be able to install firefox on Photoshop on the iPod. OS X or not it will be a media player and not a handheld iMac.

wolfpackfan
Aug 26, 2007, 12:51 PM
how would having an osx based ipod take away from iphone sales?

I'd like to throw my 2 cents worth in here. I think I'm an example of how an iPod Touch could take away sales from the iPhone. Right now I have a 5.5G iPod and my phone is a Moto Q with Sprint. I would love to have an iPhone but have another year and a half left on my Sprint contract (I have four lines). I plan on getting an iPhone probably around the end of the year and have two contracts for a year (I can actually drop one of my lines next February) UNLESS Apple were to introduce a device that had all or most of the capabilities of the iPhone but not with the phone part of it. In that case, I'd just stay with Sprint and my Moto Q and get the new iPod Touch (if that is what it is called). On the other hand, unless there is a significant improvement in the iPod itself (and just a larger video screen and album flow won't do it), I'll probably skip upgrading my iPod and just wait and get the iPhone towards the end of the year. Either way Apple is going to get either an iPhone sell out of me or an iPod Touch sell (but not both).

TaKashMoney
Aug 26, 2007, 02:14 PM
@WolfPackFan

I agree with your sentiments, as I am in a similar situation, but I think your reasoning is exactly why they WILL release an iPod with WiFi Safari and Mail. If your reasoning is correct, that they wont release a phone-less-iPhone-like-iPod, because they fear cannibalizing iPhone sales, they are leaving out a huge section of the market, like you and I, who want the touchscreen internet surfing glory of the iPhone, but either can't or simply dont want to leave our current cell phone providers. While I think Apple does want to take over the cellphone market, at the same time, I think its ridiculous to assume that Apple intends the world to switch over to AT&T. And currently Apple is in a fairly lengthy exclusive contract with AT&T, severely limiting their potential buyer's market.

If I were Apple, on Sept 5th, I would blow the world away by releasing the iPhone technology to everyone who can't/won't switch providers. "Keep your cell phone service, but don't miss out on the touch revolution. Experience your music, movies, pictures, and internet with your fingertips with Apple's very own Mac Os X and Safari."

Now, instead of competing in the very small market of people looking for a new phone and willing to switch providers and pay for a 2 year contract, they are competing in a much larger market of people with/without phones, of kids, teenagers, businessmen, grandparents, all over the world (not just the US) without being tethered and limited by phone use.

And for those who say the new iPod wont have internet because the iPod is a media device, not a communications device... The internet is vastly becoming the premier way to absorb media! YouTube, streaming shows by network television, Flickr, iTunes, internet radio, CNN, ESPN, Fox News... I can go on and on.

Furthermore, I think everyone will agree when I say that the iPhone was designed as a convergence device. They bundled three things into one, so you dont have to carry around three different devices. Now why is everyone expecting Apple to limit their potential sales to a huge market in order to still convince a very small section of the market to buy three different devices? That just doesn't make much sense to me.

While of course all of this is pure speculation, and I may end up eating my words, I truly think the iPhone was a testing ground to see how the world would respond to the amazing technology. Of course Apple knew they were selling to a limited market and what better way to test the waters to see the demand of the entire technological world? Now is the time for Apple to truly reinvent the iPod, the device that saved the company, and the device that continues to provide lasting positive effects as well as a substantial portion of their total revenue. Already the iPod was noted to create a halo effect
of switchers to the Mac platform. Now they can not only sell their simplicity and design, they can also give the world a taste of Mac Os X and Safari!

homeboy
Aug 26, 2007, 03:09 PM
@WolfPackFan

I agree with your sentiments, as I am in a similar situation, but I think your reasoning is exactly why they WILL release an iPod with WiFi Safari and Mail. If your reasoning is correct, that they wont release a phone-less-iPhone-like-iPod, because they fear cannibalizing iPhone sales, they are leaving out a huge section of the market, like you and I, who want the touchscreen internet surfing glory of the iPhone, but either can't or simply dont want to leave our current cell phone providers. While I think Apple does want to take over the cellphone market, at the same time, I think its ridiculous to assume that Apple intends the world to switch over to AT&T. And currently Apple is in a fairly lengthy exclusive contract with AT&T, severely limiting their potential buyer's market.

If I were Apple, on Sept 5th, I would blow the world away by releasing the iPhone technology to everyone who can't/won't switch providers. "Keep your cell phone service, but don't miss out on the touch revolution. Experience your music, movies, pictures, and internet with your fingertips with Apple's very own Mac Os X and Safari."

Now, instead of competing in the very small market of people looking for a new phone and willing to switch providers and pay for a 2 year contract, they are competing in a much larger market of people with/without phones, of kids, teenagers, businessmen, grandparents, all over the world (not just the US) without being tethered and limited by phone use.

And for those who say the new iPod wont have internet because the iPod is a media device, not a communications device... The internet is vastly becoming the premier way to absorb media! YouTube, streaming shows by network television, Flickr, iTunes, internet radio, CNN, ESPN, Fox News... I can go on and on.

Furthermore, I think everyone will agree when I say that the iPhone was designed as a convergence device. They bundled three things into one, so you dont have to carry around three different devices. Now why is everyone expecting Apple to limit their potential sales to a huge market in order to still convince a very small section of the market to buy three different devices? That just doesn't make much sense to me.

While of course all of this is pure speculation, and I may end up eating my words, I truly think the iPhone was a testing ground to see how the world would respond to the amazing technology. Of course Apple knew they were selling to a limited market and what better way to test the waters to see the demand of the entire technological world? Now is the time for Apple to truly reinvent the iPod, the device that saved the company, and the device that continues to provide lasting positive effects as well as a substantial portion of their total revenue. Already the iPod was noted to create a halo effect
of switchers to the Mac platform. Now they can not only sell their simplicity and design, they can also give the world a taste of Mac Os X and Safari!

Excellent write up and you bring up some very interesting aspects of todays internet/music experience. Being able to stream or save youtube movies on an iPod WiFi is really the future. That will really attract the masses to the big iPod.

Downloading RSS feeds and then reading them on the bus is also a dream which isn't distant.

Not to mention a remote Wifi connect with an iPod and iTunes which would allow users wirelessly sync with their computer or use the iPod as a wireless remote to control iTunes or Front Row. Heck I would even image streaming videos and music from a computer to iPod which sitting in an A/V dock connected to a TV-set.

WiFi opens up a world of possibilities for the iPod and I guess that we'll see it within a year. iPhone cannibalisation? Very likely but don't forget that iPods are sold world wide which the iPhone isn't.

One difference though is that iPod internet communication will probably only be one way and mostly related to music and video. While the iPhone allow you to communicate.

CWallace
Aug 26, 2007, 05:17 PM
Obviously the iPhone is much more then just an iPod with a browser, but I personally find the most compelling feature of my iPhone to be the browser.

If Apple puts WiFi and Safari on the iPod and mates it with the same screen and multi-touch as the iPhone has, I think that could seriously undercut iPhone sales prospects. Especially because you know Skype and Vonage will be ported to it (legally or via a hack) and then it becomes a de facto phone when connect to a WiFi network. Use web-based mail clients and such, and what do you need the PDA functions of the iPhone for?

You'd end up with almost identical products in terms of functionality, except one offers cellular connectivity and costs $600 and one doesn't and costs $300. And if the one that doesn't offers orders of magnitude additional storage space because it uses a HDD...

Unless Apple cripples it by only giving the Leopard kernel 512KB of RAM so it can't load any apps other then the base OS and Safari or they make it physically impossible to add a microphone to it...

homeboy
Aug 26, 2007, 06:56 PM
^^
We won't see Safari on the iPod anytime soon. Will cannibalize the iPhone too much

celavato
Aug 26, 2007, 08:38 PM
WiFi is highly unlikely this year but very much not out of the question since Apple might want to turn it into a Frontrow/iTune remote control.

I never thought much about Mobile iTunes until I got my iPhone. Now I see a need. I believe we'll see a Mobile iTunes Store someday, but probably not with the 6G iPod. I think iLounge probably nailed this upcoming announcement -- though time will tell:

http://ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/is-ipods-cool-melting-or-are-grand-plans-afoot/

Don Bagles
Aug 27, 2007, 01:02 AM
^^
We won't see Safari on the iPod anytime soon. Will cannibalize the iPhone too much

People who want a cell phone get the bonus of internet browsing along with it. People that want a media player should get that same bonus.

Why not?

It won't cannibalize iPhone sales at all. Why do people keep spewing this ****?

homeboy
Aug 27, 2007, 05:35 AM
People who want a cell phone get the bonus of internet browsing along with it. People that want a media player should get that same bonus.

Why not?

If Apple puts a feature in a phone they would want every buyer to be able to use it on a regular basis. The problem with having Safari is that it's only possible to use it if you have a WiFi signal which is something that very few people have when ever they are on the move, further more WiFi access in places like Starbucks cost money.

The iPhone on the other hand has EDGE and WiFi which gives you internet access where every you are.

With that being said I can't think of Safari in the iPod in an iPod anytime soon. Like some of you know Apple never do something unless they can do it properly and that the feature can be used by everyone at anytime.

J@ffa
Aug 27, 2007, 05:42 AM
These 160GB Samsung drives... if Apple were to use them, would there be enough available by September 5th, or a little after if they don't ship immediately? I just thought that maybe they waited for plenty of 120GB drives to be available first, as 160GB's will surely only just have begun production?

netdog
Aug 27, 2007, 05:49 AM
Ok, so we'll have an iPod with touch, and a square metallic nano. Are they just gonna let the shuffle stay the same?

The Shuffle is perfect as it is. They could bump it to 2GB but that really won't make much difference to users. Still, always good for marketing.

netdog
Aug 27, 2007, 05:53 AM
If Apple does introduce a Wifi Multitouch iPod, I can get the iPhone Nano when it comes out. Honestly, I'd rather have all the browsing and email on my iPod (without the Edge/3G data bills) and keep my phone a phone, and a small one at that.

The rumour here is that O2 is going to want $40/month for data (£20). EEK!

iShak
Aug 27, 2007, 05:54 AM
coverflow .. most probably
bumped up HDD's .... yes
new OS ... yes
wifi/over the air iTMS, Safari ... don't think so
touchscreen ... most probably
better battery, screen, etc. .... yes
better earbuds ... I wish
built-in FM tuner ... I wish
wider video codec support ... don't think so but I wish
a winner ... yes

shoelessone
Aug 27, 2007, 08:39 AM
HAHA, did you actually get 35 PMs for anti-iPHone comments? What did they say? Is there a thread somewhere about this?

coverflow .. most probably
bumped up HDD's .... yes
new OS ... yes
wifi/over the air iTMS, Safari ... don't think so
touchscreen ... most probably
better battery, screen, etc. .... yes
better earbuds ... I wish
built-in FM tuner ... I wish
wider video codec support ... don't think so but I wish
a winner ... yes

Manic Mouse
Aug 27, 2007, 08:53 AM

Why not?

The only people talking crap are those expecting an iPhone minus the phone. It simply isn't going to happen, not until the iPhone dominates the mobile industry. Apple need to give people every reason in the world to buy an iPhone, and taking it's best features and putting them in other devices isn't going to help iPhone sales.

Eventually the iPhone will replace the iPod, not the other way around.

Don Bagles
Aug 27, 2007, 02:00 PM
The only people talking crap are those expecting an iPhone minus the phone. It simply isn't going to happen, not until the iPhone dominates the mobile industry. Apple need to give people every reason in the world to buy an iPhone, and taking it's best features and putting them in other devices isn't going to help iPhone sales.

Eventually the iPhone will replace the iPod, not the other way around.

Then I might just buy an iPhone instead of an iPod......

SactoGuy18
Aug 27, 2007, 04:48 PM
I still think Apple will introduce a new full-screen iPod video about the same size as the current 5.5G iPod video, but with touchscreen controls and 80 or 120 GB storage. You can forget about Wi-Fi, web browsing, etc. because that would raise the cost of the device way too high; Bluetooth, however, could happen since there is interest in interfacing with wireless headphones and to car stereos with Bluetooth connectivity.

TaKashMoney
Aug 27, 2007, 04:51 PM
Then you, Don Bagles, will be cannibalizing iPod sales!!!!
Is there no freedom from cannibalization for Apple!?!?

Don Bagles
Aug 27, 2007, 05:06 PM
Then you, Don Bagles, will be cannibalizing iPod sales!!!!
Is there no freedom from cannibalization for Apple!?!?

What?? Then they should release an iPod with Wi-Fi so that I buy it, because otherwise I won't buy it! However, they'll still get my money, because then i'll buy an iPhone! So what's the harm in releasing Wi-Fi in an iPod???

CWallace
Aug 27, 2007, 05:46 PM
These 160GB Samsung drives... if Apple were to use them, would there be enough available by September 5th, or a little after if they don't ship immediately? I just thought that maybe they waited for plenty of 120GB drives to be available first, as 160GB's will surely only just have begun production?

I believe they won't ship until November, so I am thinking the top end iPod will have 120GB, which is a nice boost over the current 80GB.

CWallace
Aug 27, 2007, 05:50 PM
So what's the harm in releasing Wi-Fi in an iPod???

I've answered this elsewhere, but my fear is if they release Safari and WiFi in the iPod, it will become a de facto iPhone as Vonage and Skype or some other VOIP app is ported to it.

True, it will not work everywhere an iPhone can thanks to the latter's cellphone, but if it does most everything an iPhone does, then getting a cheap cell phone and plan for the places it doesn't probably would be considered by many to be acceptable.

I do agree with those who feel WiFi without Safari is pointless. Getting on the web would be the key reason to offer it. But I think that the iPhone hacking community's recent successes may make it the key reason not to offer it.

homeboy
Aug 27, 2007, 07:00 PM
^^
An iPod with Wifi doesn't mean that it will have Safari and skype. There is a whole lot other WiFi can be used for in an iPod that won't harm the iPhone.

CWallace
Aug 27, 2007, 08:14 PM
^^
An iPod with Wifi doesn't mean that it will have Safari and skype. There is a whole lot other WiFi can be used for in an iPod that won't harm the iPhone.

If the iPod WiFi has Safari, expect someone to port/hack a VOIP client to it. They have already done so for the iPhone, I believe.

If the iPod WiFi doesn't have Safari, then what would be the benefit?

I don't see "Zuning" songs to be a big hit (and iTunes DRM may very well prevent it if the labels put the kebosh on it if someone hacks it so you can send the whole song). And syncing your iPod via WiFi is no real benefit compared to USB from a speed standpoint, and how hard is it to stick it in a Dock? I suppose Apple could hard-code an iTunes Store link so you can buy and download new music on the fly, but again, I don't see that being a "killer app" that would justify the expense in electronics and battery life to implement it...

JCC
Aug 28, 2007, 05:43 AM
If the iPod WiFi has Safari, expect someone to port/hack a VOIP client to it. They have already done so for the iPhone, I believe.

Do we have any reason to think that the new iPods will have a speaker, or more than one audio jack? (I don't think current iPods can do audio in and audio out at the same time. I don't know why the new iPods would be able to unless the intent is to put a VOIP client on it.)

And, honestly, I don't think Apple pays much attention to constructive hacking. Or, at least, they haven't stopped any of it, and it hasn't really affected their product decisions so far.

iShak
Aug 28, 2007, 06:38 AM
HAHA, did you actually get 35 PMs for anti-iPHone comments? What did they say? Is there a thread somewhere about this?

haha, yes I did, ..

homeboy
Aug 28, 2007, 07:24 AM

If the iPod WiFi doesn't have Safari, then what would be the benefit?

WiFi in an iPod can be used for wirelessly controlling iTune or front row or Apple TV. WiFi is quite common these days and the ability to sync movie trailers, youtube videos and podcasts wirelessly is not distant. Heck even buying music wirelessly at hotspots when you are abroad and won't be syncing with a computer for a long time.

Not to mention listen to music wirelessly from those who share their iTunes library. I did it at times at university when I was hooked up to the network.

Apple are are selling games on iTunes and we have no idea what sort of games will be on the new iPod but a possibilty to play against others via WiFi is also a possibility.

Safari on the other hand something that Apple might add to the iPod in 1-2 years when they are done with perfecting the iPod as a media device.