PDA

View Full Version : What will your next computer be and why?

edesignuk
Aug 8, 2003, 11:46 AM
Back when I bought my dual 1GHz QuickSilver it was top of the line, and cost me a small fortune! At the time I was torn between it, and the range topping PowerBook (667MHz, 100MHz BUS, 16MB Video, 30GB HDD…I think). The PB was around the same price I think as the Quicksilver, and in the end, as much as I wanted the PB I just couldn’t spend all that money knowing that I could have something MUCH faster in a desktop, and I didn’t really need portability.
I have now had my QS for just over a year I think, and I love it. It can still handle anything you throw at it with ease (1GB RAM installed, 10.2.6, blah, blah), but there are times when I still long for that PowerBook.
So, next time around (which sadly won’t be for a while yet, god knows I cannot afford a PB!), I think I will go with a PowerBook. Sure, they maybe not as powerful as their desktop counterparts, but I just really, really, really want one! Besides, I don’t really do much other than surf, e-mail, a bit of Photoshop here and there, so any PB would still exceed my needs.

So how about you? What takes your fancy for your next computer?

Mr. Anderson
Aug 8, 2003, 11:57 AM
I'm getting a G5, no question about it. However, I might delay my purchase until the G5s come with Panther installed, which might be Rev. B. It will cost a ton, but it will also be worth it.

That and the dual 20" LCDs.....;)

D

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 8, 2003, 12:03 PM
I'm not getting another computer for at lest two years. If the 12" PowerBook is still around in two years, I'll get that (I have a 12" iBook now), although I would consider the iBook if it's on a much better version of the G3 by then. When I'm out of college, I'm going to start buying desktops unless the church I work at won't buy me a Mac.

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 8, 2003, 12:03 PM
i have a DVI TiBook and plan to hold onto it for another 2 years or so...by the time i am ready to upgrade i'll probably have my choice of G5+ PowerBooks or maybe a 20" iMac ;-)

but for the near future i'll be happy with my Ti. i mean, i was using a 5400/200 until early 2001!

arogge
Aug 8, 2003, 12:26 PM
Maybe a deskside Tezro! :D

http://www.sgi.com/features/2003/jul/onyx4/index.html

edesignuk
Aug 8, 2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by arogge

Order me one why you're at it, much obliged :D

wrldwzrd89
Aug 8, 2003, 12:48 PM
Me? I'm getting a PowerMac G5 with Panther (hopefully preinstalled), just like Mr. Anderson. I will be replacing a PowerBook G4 667 because I don't need portability; in fact, I keep it plugged in constantly and even shut it off when I want to move it (as if it were a desktop machine).

XnavxeMiyyep
Aug 8, 2003, 12:56 PM
I probably won't be getting another Powermac for awhile, but when I do, it'll be a Dual G5 Powermac with at least to slots for optical drives.

dswoodley
Aug 8, 2003, 12:56 PM
I think my decision will depend on how fast Panther runs on my 12" pb. If it is all that it's cracked up to be, I will hold off on a new purchase - maybe until around the time a G5 is in a portable...

idea_hamster
Aug 8, 2003, 12:57 PM

Whoa.
"Tezro is the perfect solution for designers, scientists, geophysicists, image analysts, digital multimedia producers, and others who demand fast, cutting-edge results."

I bet that would work great for gaming -- Tetris, Solitare, you name it! :D

(Me? I'm saving up for the 2x3.0Ghz since prevailing wisdom seems to be that it may be coming out as my current TiBook hits the 3- to 4-year-old window.)

TEG
Aug 8, 2003, 01:13 PM
I love my TiBook, but I will not buy another one as my primary computer unless there becomes a way to upgrade either the Video Memory of the entire Video Chipset.

I'm Saving for a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.75.

TEG

agreenster
Aug 8, 2003, 01:47 PM

Wonder if that thing will hardware render on the fly?

CrackedButter
Aug 8, 2003, 01:59 PM
I would like to get the soon to be released G4 PB's, maybe either a 12" (with DVI hopefully, L3, FW800, USB2) or a 15" Combo with the more and the same features.

However depending on how they came out on price and features i might well buy a G5 (Dual 2Ghz) since i only live 1 minute from college and for the price i could pay, i could buy a G5 instead.

NavyIntel007
Aug 8, 2003, 02:11 PM
I'd say a Powermac within three to four years depending on how my 12" Powerbook does. Although I'll probably be on a ship so maybe another powerbook.

Powerbook G5
Aug 8, 2003, 02:16 PM
I'll be gettig a new 15" AlBook when it finally comes out. I'd love to get a G5, but a dorm room with 3 people is cramped enough without having a huge desktop system and 20" LCD monitor...I'd wait for a G5 PowerBook, but after over 4 years using my PowerBook G3, I am ready to step up to a more modern system asap.

QCassidy352
Aug 8, 2003, 02:34 PM
hopefully a powermac G5 as a graduation present this coming spring. :D

Blackstealth
Aug 8, 2003, 02:36 PM
Got a MDD Dual 867 about a year ago. Next time (prob'ly next month) it'll be an iBook - my Duo 280c has really reached the stage where it just doesn't cut it for the type of work I need to do on the move... A new PowerMac in 3-4 years maybe.

vniow
Aug 8, 2003, 02:52 PM
Looking for a Powerbook for school, DVI model and up, have one in mind but don't have the funds for it at the moment..

Hope to get whatever high-end G5 tower comes out by next near or so, I'd like to get a computer that will last me a long while..

charlesc
Aug 8, 2003, 02:53 PM
I bought my dual 1ghz QS in Feb 2002 when they were realeased and it will eat anything thrown at it as well (1.5 gig ram helps). Last month before back surgery I broke down and got a 12" PB after walking the 'when will they revise this line? tightrope". I simply needed a portable for my recovery and I bought it with no regrets. I'm sure when the new 1ghz+ 12" with DVI out is realeased I'll cus a little.

My next computer will be a second rev G5. Theoretically if things go right, and with a bit of luck, by christmas time we might have a dual 2.5ghz pre-loaded with panther. The day they release this is the day I buy. With a 23" HD to run mirrored with my 17". My 17" will come in handy for palettes in my adobe apps.

crenz
Aug 8, 2003, 04:30 PM
I'm probably in a similar situation like you one year ago. I am considering to either get a G4 1.25 GHz w/ 17" EIZO TFT or the new 12" Powerbook as soon as it is released. I'm buying it mostly for producing music and doing programming (plan to do Windows programming in VPC also).

Two reasons against the PB are screen size (probably can't afford the 15") and speed (hopefully the next 12" will have >= 1 GHz, maybe even with L3 cache?). But I'd love to have the portability, for the music, and also for doing work on the road.

The one reason against the G4 would be non-portability. And of cause it is less cool than the PB :D

What to do... *sigh*

tazo
Aug 8, 2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk
Back when I bought my dual 1GHz QuickSilver it was top of the line, and cost me a small fortune! At the time I was torn between it, and the range topping PowerBook (667MHz, 100MHz BUS, 16MB Video, 30GB HDD…I think). The PB was around the same price I think as the Quicksilver, and in the end, as much as I wanted the PB I just couldn’t spend all that money knowing that I could have something MUCH faster in a desktop, and I didn’t really need portability.
I have now had my QS for just over a year I think, and I love it. It can still handle anything you throw at it with ease (1GB RAM installed, 10.2.6, blah, blah), but there are times when I still long for that PowerBook.
So, next time around (which sadly won’t be for a while yet, god knows I cannot afford a PB!), I think I will go with a PowerBook. Sure, they maybe not as powerful as their desktop counterparts, but I just really, really, really want one! Besides, I don’t really do much other than surf, e-mail, a bit of Photoshop here and there, so any PB would still exceed my needs.

So how about you? What takes your fancy for your next computer?

15'' powerbook. No doubt about it.

MacsRgr8
Aug 8, 2003, 05:09 PM
Dual G5.

Ik makes me remember the thread "What's the Best Mac Ever?". Well, taking everything in retrospect, given the time, etc. I thought the B&W G3 was the best Mac. It had the best hardware/performance/price ratio, I think.
But now: I definitely think the Dual G5 2 GHz is the best Mac ever. Absolutely best hardware/performance/price ratio now available. Along with Mac OS X (10.3), this is the best personal/desktop computer anyone could ever buy....

Just get some cash... :rolleyes:

question fear
Aug 8, 2003, 06:05 PM
well, i just got my ibook, so i think i am going to get a cheap cheap peecee for some games, and set it up as a dual-boot with some varietal of linux on a partition. (i am trying to be as geeky as possible with limited resources-so if any of you getting a shiny new g5 have a peecee you want to sell for cheap, pm me.)
--carly

tazo
Aug 8, 2003, 07:29 PM
you can build a gaming pc for like 500 dollars ;) just go look in ur local computer source magazine or local equivalent

MoparShaha
Aug 8, 2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk
So, next time around (which sadly won’t be for a while yet, god knows I cannot afford a PB!), I think I will go with a PowerBook. Sure, they maybe not as powerful as their desktop counterparts, but I just really, really, really want one! Besides, I don’t really do much other than surf, e-mail, a bit of Photoshop here and there, so any PB would still exceed my needs. Yeah, I just faced that same dilema. Just got a FW800 DP G4. I was just going to break down and get a TiBook, but just couldn't bring myself to sacrifice the performance of the Power Mac. In addition to that, I didn't want a 10 month old PowerBook. I don't really need portability, but there are times I wish I could have the computer in bed with me, or to have it in the kitchen while I'm cooking. I'm fairly certain my next computer will be a PowerBook, but that won't be for awhile. At least they'll have G5's in them then :D.

Schiffi
Aug 8, 2003, 07:43 PM
I need this computer (see sig) to last me at least 4 years. So G7's might be out then, who knows. I dropped a lot of cash into it, a lot of cash I won't have till I get a job after college. Well, all I can say is portable because portablity makes it worthwhile.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 8, 2003, 07:50 PM
Best desktop ever: The beige G3. The rev. B iMacs come in a close second, but they had no floppy drive at a time when floppies were still useful. The SE/30 was awesome for its time (It should have been named SEx like any other '030 box of its day). Worst desktop ever? Definitely the original LCII. On paper, it was better than the LC. In practice, it was worse.

Best laptop ever: PowerBook 520/540. Awesome price/performance ratio, and they practically never broke. The snow iBooks come in close except that people with logic board problems have a LOT of logic board problems. Worst laptop? The PB 5300 (screen bezel issues) and 1400 (horrible price/performance).

MrMacMan
Aug 8, 2003, 08:13 PM
It will be a G5, Preferably a Dual 2 before I go to College...

But that is still 2-3 years away... :(

Yeah it way far off.

Gus
Aug 8, 2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Blackstealth
Got a MDD Dual 867 about a year ago. Next time (prob'ly next month) it'll be an iBook - my Duo 280c has really reached the stage where it just doesn't cut it for the type of work I need to do on the move... A new PowerMac in 3-4 years maybe.

280c!! Yowza, now THAT is a long product work life.

My next Mac will be a PowerBook. G4 or G5, doesn't matter to me, but it will be a year or so until that happens anyway. My little iBook will hold me until then. :)

Regards,
Gus

tazo
Aug 8, 2003, 08:59 PM
why are people describing their fave mac desktops/notebooks?

The thread is about what your next computer purchase will be:confused:

job
Aug 8, 2003, 09:14 PM
I've got one more year of High School, so I'm looking to buy a new desktop around this time next year. I've got $1500 in the bank right now, but I'm still saving.

If I had to choose right *now* I'd go for an educational discounted 1.6Ghz with 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Combo drive, and the Radeon 9600, all for the tune of around $1800.

I've got a 21" CRT on my desk, so I don't really need a new monitor.

DakotaGuy
Aug 8, 2003, 10:02 PM
Ok I have a Blueberry iMac DV 400 and an iBook 600 combo. The iMac is getting long in the tooth, but I am planning on running it another 6 mos. I will keep the iBook and replace the iMac with an eMac. I see that I am the only one on the boards that is planning on buying an eMac, but I just don't have the money for a G5, monitor and all that other stuff. I need to keep my purchase under $1,000 and I already have a nice iBook that is 2 years newer then my desktop. My question is will I notice a substantial performance improvement from the iMac to a new 1Ghz eMac? Or is the G4 as bad as everyone says. I am a teacher and use things like iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, Safari, IE, MS Office, etc. It works okay on the iMac but gets bogged down quick. I would like a computer with a monitor for less than a grand that will do these tasks with ease.

I am hoping by winter the eMac will be 1.25Ghz then I will buy one.

Les Kern
Aug 8, 2003, 10:05 PM
I'm sick of buying computers. It's just not as exciting as it used to be. Or maybe the G4 stall and the many iterations of basically the same thing has turned me off.
Oh hell, got my eye on a 17" PB.

Les Kern
Aug 8, 2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
My question is will I notice a substantial performance improvement from the iMac to a new 1Ghz eMac? Or is the G4 as bad as everyone says.
Get the latest MacAddict where they compare the iMac with the eMac. It will surprise you.

SLJ
Aug 9, 2003, 12:16 AM
Hmm... without a doubt... an APPLE G5, I have my eye on one since Apple leaked the news on July... but now i will consider the second generation of the G5... I expect the first generation of G5 will have some small issues that need to be address... G5 at Feb, 2004... hopefully

a new 2GHz G5 ? non-dual?

iGav
Aug 9, 2003, 02:26 PM
This is an easy question to answer...

the next Mac I buy will be a 17" PowerBook G5...

I cancelled my order for a 17" (which was announced the month after getting my mitt's on my SuperDrive'd TiBook) because I saw little point in going to another machine which isn't anymore powerful than the one I've got.

A tower would be cool, but I find my PowerBook to be 1000x more productive than any desktop ever could be. That said, when I finally sort out and buy my own apartment I'll likely get a G5 for rendering purposes only (you can't beat wi-fi in the home)!! heh-heh!!

plinkoman
Aug 9, 2003, 04:33 PM
17"pb G5 for when i got to college a year from now

.a
Aug 9, 2003, 05:30 PM
i will replace my dual g4 450mhz with either a dual g5 2ghz panther in late autumn03 or rev.b dual g5 >2ghz in feb04.
that's 6 months from now ...
i hope panther is speeding up my dual 450 a little bit (with 1.75gb ram it hopefully okay) ... otherwise i will get my new g5 in a few weeks ...
i can't stay the "speed" of jaguar on my machine anymore
.a

JesseJames
Aug 9, 2003, 07:35 PM
Hmmm. The way things are looking...not for a very long time. Probably be a G8 out before I HAVE to get another one.
Gotta make kickass demo reel.

benixau
Aug 9, 2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by JesseJames
Hmmm. The way things are looking...not for a very long time. Probably be a G8 out before I HAVE to get another one.

Hmmmmmm - G8 eh? That will make you wait, oh lets see:
1997 - G3
2003 - G5:
six years for two generations - you will be waiting nine years: enjoy.

Ryan1524
Aug 9, 2003, 08:26 PM
Powerbook G4 or G5 maybe since i'm getting it around this time NEXT year for school. :)

vollspacken
Aug 12, 2003, 11:35 AM
my next purchase will be whenever a nice IBM Thinkpad 240x shows up on German eBay... I need a small PC to run some FS-apps.

I'm also looking for a cheapo G4 tower to use as a server... I will buy one when university starts again in october.

I really want a powerbook 2400 but I wouldn't really have a use for it.

vSpacken

cubist
Aug 12, 2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
This is an easy question to answer...

the next Mac I buy will be a 17" PowerBook G5...

... Me too - DUAL PROCESSOR!

Lord Bodak
Aug 12, 2003, 02:07 PM
I'm buying a 12" PowerBook as soon as I've saved enough (hopefully the new ones will be out by then, but if not I'll just buy the current-- it just isn't worth waiting for an announcement when there is no idea when it will come).

Then I'm going to start saving for a rev. B G5 desktop.

Just anxious to finally replace my ancient Pentium 200 MHz which has served faithfully for six years (as a Linux machine for 3 of them, sorta gave it a second life).

KrazyKidd
Aug 13, 2003, 11:26 PM
sager 5680 or 15" titanium powerbook...whichever comes first

Flynnstone
Aug 14, 2003, 12:23 AM
Guess what ... a G5, hard guess :D

It will be my first Mac. Which makes my current computer my last PC.

jefhatfield
Aug 14, 2003, 12:29 AM
my wife got to see the 17 inch imac, the 12 and 17 inch powerbook, and the superdrive emac for the first time the other day, and of all of them she liked the cheapest mac, the emac and the most expensive powerbook

AnotherMortal
Aug 14, 2003, 08:56 AM
Will probably be a Cube for a desktop, since I don't game much, but I'm tired of lugging my iBook 16VRAM to and from work.

Of course, I'll upgrade my cube...just need to buy one first.

Unless Apple has plans for a 30th Anniversary G5 Cube. (see pic on
SpyMac (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=43493&papass=&sort=1&thecat=502). Not real, but hey, I can dream!)

Wano
Aug 15, 2003, 01:58 AM
Well, I plan on getting a 20in cinema display for my 17in powerbook, and then later on i think i may sell my powerbook to get a G5.

BWhaler
Aug 15, 2003, 02:42 AM
What ever the top of the line PowerMac is in February. I hope the monitor will be updated by then and will have Apple wireless mouse and keyboard.

(I'm not holding off the purchase for the peripherals, but rather that is when I want to replace my four year old Dell at home...)

negrito
Aug 15, 2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Flynnstone
Guess what ... a G5, hard guess :D

It will be my first Mac. Which makes my current computer my last PC.

same thing for me: my 5 years old pentium II 500mhz has to go and my first mac will arrive. it is a g5 dual 2ghz with 1.5gb ram etc. i'm in the last year of multimedia artist school and i got a nice education price for the g5. like this i will have enough power for some years but as usual you can't get enough power if you use photoshop, illustartor, maya, after effects and final cut every day :D
and for portability i got my scetchbook which is much better for me than any powerbook.
if i get a good job i could may buy a new one sooner but first i have to pay my appartment rent. ;)

macphoria
Aug 15, 2003, 03:30 AM
My next Mac will be G5 PowerBook. Why? G5. PowerBook.

CmdrLaForge
Aug 15, 2003, 10:41 AM
because I am still quit happy with my iBook and I never buy a first rev.

themadchemist
Aug 15, 2003, 12:21 PM
I am getting the top of the line desktop, SOMETIME. Maybe G5 Rev B, maybe Rev Z, maybe I'll just end up getting a G6. Whatever it is, I'm getting the top because I'm tired of buying a Powermac and knowing that it is already obsolete.

I bought a 400Mhz G4 in August 2000 and it's great, but I knew that as it was the entry-level Powermac model, it would be the first to go. Back then, Moto was being SO delinquent with processors, as you probably remember, that Apple was only chopping off the lowest speed of the Powermacs when the new models came up.

Now that they are ONLY saving the top model (except when they change processors :D ), I want to have the top model so that it will last me two updates.

But even that might be changing. For the good of Apple, we may be moving to a new era where updates are more often, more dramatic, and make all previous models obsolete. I'm all for that and that's all the more reason to get the top model, so it doesn't seem AS out of date when the new ones ring in.

Anyway, I think a dual 2Ghz G5 would last me a LOOOOONG TIME.

jefhatfield
Aug 16, 2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by macphoria
My next Mac will be G5 PowerBook. Why? G5. PowerBook.

i hope when the G5 powerbook comes out, they retain the great prices the current powerbooks are sold at

mim
Aug 16, 2003, 02:18 AM
If the 12" powerbook update is sweet, well I'll get that. I just love the freedom that the laptop gives you. Nothing like sitting in St James park, on a sunny day, bashing out some letters.

If the 12" update is ho-hum, I'll probably get an 12" iBook instead and wait for a nice looking g5 pb.

Nermal
Aug 16, 2003, 04:39 AM
It's too early to decide. My current machine's only about 6 months old and I don't see any reason to buy a new one. But it will be another Mac :)

Squire
Aug 16, 2003, 09:42 AM
I'll definitely get a notebook computer next. Mine's just a glorified typewriter. I figure that I'll have the cash for a new PowerBook by next summer. If that's the case, I'll shoot for the next, next revision. Many speculate that this would be a G5 book.

Squire

billyboy
Aug 16, 2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
i hope when the G5 powerbook comes out, they retain the great prices the current powerbooks are sold at

What prices are second hand 15" Ti Powerbooks 867Mhz getting out of interest? In a year´s time when I stop being a nomad I will probably sell my powerbook and put that towards a dual 2 Ghz G5 and nice big screen.

Is it right that if it has Applecare still valid it fetches quite a bit more than without the warranty? ie more than the warranty cost?

Capt Underpants
Aug 17, 2003, 12:06 PM
I probably won't be getting another computer for aout another year, and as much as a notebook is portable and utterly cool, I think that my next computer will be a desktop. It will probably be the dual 3.0 GHz G5 that they are supposed to have out next summer. I'm also going to go for the 20" cinema display.

tazo
Aug 17, 2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by billyboy
What prices are second hand 15" Ti Powerbooks 867Mhz getting out of interest? In a year´s time when I stop being a nomad I will probably sell my powerbook and put that towards a dual 2 Ghz G5 and nice big screen.

Is it right that if it has Applecare still valid it fetches quite a bit more than without the warranty? ie more than the warranty cost?

A second hand apple product is usually worth as much as the educational discounted price. So like a second hand 12" powerbook starts at 1399 most places.

SiliconAddict
Aug 18, 2003, 12:56 PM
My current computer inventory is:

1 Latitude CPx (Tiger) Specs: 566Mhz, 384MB RAM, 12” Screen
1 Toshiba Satellite 2805-S402 (Lynx) Specs: 866Mhz, 384MB RAM, 15” screen Best freaking speakers I’ve ever heard on a laptop. (With the possible exception of a Comcrap.) The thing actually has a subwoofer on the bottom of the laptop.
1 Dell Optiplex GX240 (Puma) Specs: 1.7Ghz, and 512MB RAM. mainly used for dialing into work, it’s owned by the company I work for, but I jacked up the specs with an Audigy 2 card, GeForce 4, and Serial ATA hard drive. It flies.
1 home brewed server (Ocelot) Specs: Dual 500Mhz Xeon, 512MB RAM, Poor mans RAID at 300GB.

And yep they are all running Windows...the HORROR! On the bright side at least its Windows 2000. :p I use my home server as a:
[list=1]
MS exchange mail server. No Spam ever because if spam starts trickling in I just create a new mail account.
SSH using cygwin to allow my friends to upload music to my system which in turn leads to..
Shoutcast server
personal newsgroup server which allows my friends to do some chatting nationwide.
And finally you may be wondering why I am using dual Xeon. Well other then that I got them VERY cheap I’ve started to convert all 300 DVD’s of mine over to DIVX. Whether or not 210GB of space is going to be able to handle 300+ DVD’s is another matter. To get decent quality I’ve been going CD sized at 610MB. It’s going to be tight if nothing else.
[/list=1]
Anyways back on topic. My next machine. I will be sitting on my thumbs until a PowerBook 17” G5 show up. If that means *sighs* waiting 3 months, 6 months, a year so be it. I NEED the potential horses that is behind the G5. I have a large amount of software on Windows that I DO NOT want to give up. The biggest being MS MapPoint 2002. This software coupled with GPS is godlike. So I need to run VPC and with VPC there is no such thing as fast enough. And even then I may wait for a few month to see what if any problems occur. Call me a pessimist but I expect some problems jamming a G5 into a PowerBook. New CPU, new chipset, god only knows what new features will be in the next PowerBook series. New for 2004. Site to site transporting capabilities.

Question. How long does it usually take Apple to come out with a Rev B, as you call it around here, system? 3 months? 6 months?

PS- Guess what my G5 PowerBook is going to be called? :D Well other then god like... :p

OutThere
Aug 18, 2003, 06:16 PM
iBook, small, portable, powerful enough, tough, all I need! :D

jefhatfield
Aug 18, 2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by billyboy

as a techie i see a used machine with some warranty time on it as a plus

but for many not in the know, it won't make a dime of difference in their determination if they want to buy the machine or not...either they will like your powerbook or not...macs rarely have lukewarm receptions

as cool as a G5 is, it's still not mobile