PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPod Event on September 5th, 2007?

MikeDTyke
Aug 24, 2007, 10:01 AM
Ars, is reporting they've heard from their sources that a Wednesday 5th launch is lined up for the new iPods, contrary to Appleinsider's assertion of the middle to end of September.

Arstechnica Journal entry. (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/08/24/source-major-apple-event-on-september-5th)

They have no further deets on the releases, but the sources don't seem to contradict 4 models or any expected details ie. full screen ipod.

Enjoy

M. :D

Eric Lewis
Aug 24, 2007, 10:11 AM
Ars, is reporting they've heard from their sources that a Wednesday 5th launch is lined up for the new iPods, contrary to Appleinsider's assertion of the middle to end of September.

Arstechnica Journal entry. (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/08/24/source-major-apple-event-on-september-5th)

They have no further deets on the releases, but the sources don't seem to contradict 4 models or any expected details ie. full screen ipod.

Enjoy

M. :D

the ipod promotion for free ipod for students end the 16th..so then u could get the new one for free? apple wouldnt do that

gloss
Aug 24, 2007, 10:24 AM
I <3 Ars Technica, so I'm inclined to believe it.

Would certainly be cool, at least.

MikeDTyke
Aug 24, 2007, 10:35 AM
the ipod promotion for free ipod for students end the 16th..so then u could get the new one for free? apple wouldnt do that

Who's to say its a launch on the 5th with availability on 17th, makes sense, it's a Friday.

:cool:

kuebby
Aug 24, 2007, 10:43 AM

Definitely not. Last year the 5.5Gs launched when the deal was still going on but you had to get a 5G to get the deal, purely inventory clearance.

Multimedia
Aug 24, 2007, 10:45 AM
Who's to say its a launch on the 5th with availability on 17th, makes sense, it's a Friday.

:cool:5th is a Wednesday and 17th is a Monday. The launch is likely Tuesday the 18th. That's also the opening day of the Intel Developer's Forum in San Francisco so all the press will be in town anyway.

MacRumors
Aug 24, 2007, 10:56 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Arstechnica claims (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/08/24/source-major-apple-event-on-september-5th) that Apple will be holding a major event on September 5th, 2007 according to "sources within the company".
Our sources are slim on details for exactly what will be announced, but said that at least one of the things that will come out of September 5th will be a new iPod.
September 5th falls on a Wednesday, which the author acknowledges is an unusual day for Apple to make announcements, but points to the holiday weekend as the reason behind it.

Rumored photos and videos of the upcoming iPod revisions have sparked a response from Apple's legal team, with cease and desist demands to a number of sites.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/24/apple-ipod-event-on-september-5th-2007/)

Mgkwho
Aug 24, 2007, 10:57 AM
September 11th September 11th September 11th

The 5th is a Wednesday, but hey- all the sooner for us! An internal event, though- does that sound like an iPod would be released? I would think new iPods to be released all at once.

-=|Mgkwho

lord patton
Aug 24, 2007, 10:59 AM
Doubt it. The back-to-school iPod promotion doesn't end until Sept. 16.

My bet it new iPods Tuesday Sept. 18th.

qzak
Aug 24, 2007, 11:00 AM
i know it's an iPod event only most likely, but...

Mac Pros and/or Cinema Display updates.. PLEASE! :D

Mgkwho
Aug 24, 2007, 11:01 AM
Doubt it. The back-to-school iPod promotion doesn't end until Sept. 16.

Last year new iPods were released before the "back-to-school" promotion had ended. The stipulation has been that you are not allowed to use new products in the promotion.

-=|Mgkwho

jaw04005
Aug 24, 2007, 11:01 AM
Can we get an Apple TV update? Please. :mad:

~Shard~
Aug 24, 2007, 11:02 AM
I wonder how an iPod announcement would affect the back to school promotion based on this timing - the promotion is on until the 16th I believe. Or, perhaps Apple will just announce the new iPods at this event but indicate a shipping date of a month or so out, perhaps timing it with the Leopard release date.

Further to this, perhaps Apple will also announce the actual release date for Leopard!

galstaph
Aug 24, 2007, 11:03 AM
Might be new ipods, but if it is they'll be excluded from the promo and will undoubtedly not be shipping until after the 16th...
It'll be interesting to see what if anything comes of this rumor...

Just remember back in '05 with the Nanos being released at the tail end of the ipod promo for the minis

homeboy
Aug 24, 2007, 11:04 AM
I think this is bull **** and is just a way for the site to generate more traffic.

Forget about new iPod before the 16th because that's when the back to school promo ends. 2 weeks two days after that is the Mac Expo and it would be a waste to have two presentations within two weeks.

With that being said, we won't see new iPods until the expo.

Mgkwho
I wonder how an iPod announcement would affect the back to school promotion based on this timing - the promotion is on until the 16th I believe.

Just like last time, new products (as in right before the promotion ends) will not be eligible for the promotion.

Qualification and Eligibility (http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/faq.html)

-=|Mgkwho

michaelrjohnson
Last year new iPods were released before the "back-to-school" promotion had ended. The stipulation has been that you are not allowed to use new products in the promotion.

-=|Mgkwho

Exactly.

The same situation 3 years ago when I bought my laptop.

(Initially purchased a PB 12in with a free 3G iPod, Apple Store rep let me return/repurchase my Laptop the next day so I could get the new 4G iPod. The "Cram & Jam" promotion didn't end for a few weeks.)

~Shard~
i know it's an iPod event only most likely, but...

Mac Pros and/or Cinema Display updates.. PLEASE! :D

The Mac Pros are doubtful in my opinion, unless it is an announcement with an actual availability date a couple months out. I don't see the Mac Pros being updated until Penryn is available, which according to Intel is not until the November time frame. Perhaps Apple will get preferential treatment from Intel again, as they did with the iMac, and receive the chip earlier than the rest of the market, but even so I don't see a Mac Pro update until Leopard is released at the earliest, and more likely November base don the Penryn timeline.

The Toon Master
Aug 24, 2007, 11:05 AM
Hells Yes!

I guess my iPod gets replaced sooner than later..

and homeboy.., They could say that this iPod model isn't available for the promotion, or the iPods won't be avilable till the 17th or somethin..

MikeDTyke
Aug 24, 2007, 11:05 AM
5th is a Wednesday and 17th is a Monday. The launch is likely Tuesday the 18th. That's also the opening day of the Intel Developer's Forum in San Francisco so all the press will be in town anyway.

Whoops my bad, calendar was still on August. Though i think your forgetting Apple doesn't share announcements and they've broken the tradition of Tuesday launches. They'll have their own little event with special invites sent a week in advance. There's no reason to believe one rumour over the other, they are both unattributed.

I like to think it's the 5th as Quanta were due to deliver something iPod/iPhone related middle to end of August.

M. :cool:
But 5t

lord patton
Aug 24, 2007, 11:06 AM

-=|Mgkwho

Really? Well, that's a good distinction, then. thanx

plumbingandtech
Aug 24, 2007, 11:06 AM
That's also the opening day of the Intel Developer's Forum in San Francisco so all the press will be in town anyway

This really does not matter.

Apple says show up.

And the media does.

~Shard~
Aug 24, 2007, 11:07 AM
I think this is bull **** and is just a way for the site to generate more traffic.

Someone's bitter... :p ;)

Forget about new iPod before the 16th because that's when the back to school promo ends. 2 weeks two days after that is the Mac Expo and it would be a waste to have two presentations within two weeks.

As Mgkwho and others have already pointed out, Apple did the exact same thing last year with the new iPods - updates were released before the back to school promotion had ended, and the rules were simply that new products were not included in the promotion.

ds252
Aug 24, 2007, 11:07 AM
I wonder how an iPod announcement would affect the back to school promotion based on this timing - the promotion is on until the 16th I believe. Or, perhaps Apple will just announce the new iPods at this event but indicate a shipping date of a month or so out, perhaps timing it with the Leopard release date.

Further to this, perhaps Apple will also announce the actual release date for Leopard!

I think they try as hard as possible to not let people know when the upcoming ipod is coming out because then people wouldn't buy the current one. Although most people know that one is coming some people who are just oblivious will still go and buy the old one but once there is a date as you say them announcing it coming out with leopard it is official and everyone will know.

mduser63
Aug 24, 2007, 11:09 AM
An Apple event is always exciting but with my four iPods and an iPhone, I'm not in the market for a new iPod. I do hope they announce a (firmware) update for the Apple TV though.

fastbite
Aug 24, 2007, 11:11 AM
Just when I wanted to start saving some money...

i0Nic
Aug 24, 2007, 11:12 AM
Exciting times...

Sean7512
Aug 24, 2007, 11:15 AM
An Apple event is always exciting but with my four iPods and an iPhone, I'm not in the market for a new iPod. I do hope they announce a (firmware) update for the Apple TV though.

What features are you hoping they add to the apple tv? I'm just curious because I can't think of a feature that I want added....but then again, I am still just waking up :p

p0intblank
Aug 24, 2007, 11:16 AM
Sweet! That's the day classes begin for me, too. I can't wait to see if this is true. :D

Wayfarer
Aug 24, 2007, 11:17 AM
Assuming this rumor is correct, I am officially stoked. :)

currentinterest
I hope they announce movie rentals over Apple TV that can be played on one's iPhone, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, etc.

archer75
What features are you hoping they add to the apple tv? I'm just curious because I can't think of a feature that I want added....but then again, I am still just waking up :p

Support for more than 2 video formats would be a start. I wanted to be able to play every video format out there so I ended up building my own HTPC that does the job. Still the devices that apple TV competes against aren't as limited in the formats they support.

~Shard~
Aug 24, 2007, 11:18 AM
I think they try as hard as possible to not let people know when the upcoming ipod is coming out because then people wouldn't buy the current one. Although most people know that one is coming some people who are just oblivious will still go and buy the old one but once there is a date as you say them announcing it coming out with leopard it is official and everyone will know.

Yep, makes sense. If everyone knew when new ones would be released, they wouldn't buy until then! It's smart business (and much easier on inventory management!) to keep things under wraps until very near the release dates. Of course there are exceptions, such as Leopard, but even with that we do not know the specific availability date yet.

iTucci
Aug 24, 2007, 11:20 AM
Major retail stores here in Japan (Yodobashi Camera, Bic Camera, etc) have already run out of stock of iPods and nanos. I think new iPods will be released very soon, and September 5th (4th?) sounds reasonable.

InLikeALion
Aug 24, 2007, 11:21 AM
It all seems strange: the date, day of the week, and relation to Mac Expo Paris and the ipod promo. I'm not going to expect much from this rumor.

jaw04005
Aug 24, 2007, 11:24 AM

Oh, I don't know ...

On-the-fly playlists for audio and video
Parental Controls that work
HD TV Shows and Movies in the iTunes Store
4:3 Support

homeboy
Aug 24, 2007, 11:25 AM
As Mgkwho and others have already pointed out, Apple did the exact same thing last year with the new iPods - updates were released before the back to school promotion had ended, and the rules were simply that new products were not included in the promotion.

Alright then, I guess it's very possible. Especially when you look at stock listing at the major stores. They all seem to be drying up here in Sweden. I just took a look at one site and they even removed the 80GB version from their site this week.

I have also read that Bestbuy is pretty dry as well. 4th and 5th September might be very possible and if that's the case Steve should be sending invitations to major blogs/newsites any day now.

madmaxmedia
Aug 24, 2007, 11:30 AM
Um, are you familiar with Ars? They're not a rumor site, and they don't stoop to those kinds of gimmicks to draw traffic.

They might not be right, but they seem to have their reasons to believe that early September it is.

macFanDave
Aug 24, 2007, 11:34 AM
1) The RDF is in full force. Steve sez, "Wednesday. It's the new Tuesday."

2) I feel it in my bones. The "other" thing being announced besides new iPods is -- drum roll, please -- Hypercard X! I'm tellin' ya, I feel it.

Well, there's my four cents (2 opinions @ $0.02 each.)

Peace
Aug 24, 2007, 11:40 AM
If the date is true.And I'm guessing it is.And if the video of the new interface was pulled for being real I'm guessing The Beatles join the iTunes store Sept.5th also.

mambodancer
Aug 24, 2007, 11:43 AM

I've said it before in another post that September will be all about new iPods, updated iPods, iTunes store, Beatles catalog and AppleTV. Having worked in retail, when a given promo begins or ends has absolutely no bearing on product introductions.

June/July was all about iPhone
August - iMacs, iLife, iWork
September - iPod, AppleTV, iTunes
October - Leopard

After that, look for display updates and maybe, maybe MacPro updates.

After the first of the year, sometime in 2008, maybe a MacTablet with gesture support.

shindelins
Aug 24, 2007, 11:43 AM
the day before my birthday.. score.

but if it's only the nano or just not the full meal deal of the iPod touch i'm going to go Veruka Salt on apple's ass.

mambodancer
Aug 24, 2007, 11:45 AM
Oh, I don't know ...

How about fixing progressive video playlists? That's the reason I took my AppleTV back. It doesn't play video playlists progressively.

Hairball
Aug 24, 2007, 11:53 AM
I'll believe the story/rumor when the iPods finally arrive. Look how many times we heard about Numbers appearing before the program finally reared its head.

iBunny
Aug 24, 2007, 12:00 PM
Is there any chance, at all... that maybe, Just maybe.... Apple will release Leopard at this event.

So it will be a surprise and released "Early" even tho it was delayed lol?

bozz2006
Aug 24, 2007, 12:00 PM
i'd love to see an announcement for an upgrade to the mac pros. i'm thinking maybe there will be an update on sept. 5, or at macexpo, since intel gives apple preferential treatment with early access to their chips. maybe. hopefully.

williedigital
Aug 24, 2007, 12:05 PM

The apple TV crashes with very large itunes libraries. Mine crashes with my music library for example.

~Shard~
Aug 24, 2007, 12:08 PM
i'd love to see an announcement for an upgrade to the mac pros. i'm thinking maybe there will be an update on sept. 5, or at macexpo, since intel gives apple preferential treatment with early access to their chips. maybe. hopefully.

Penryn isn't due for release until November though, so I don't know if Apple would be given that much lead time on the processors. I'd say a Mac Pro update in tandem with Leopard's release is the more likely scenario.

Or, along these lines, a Mac Pro announcement at the event, however with an actual shipping date of 4-6 weeks from that point.

Splash6
Aug 24, 2007, 12:09 PM
Wasn't the iTunes plus announcement mad on a Wednesday. It's a bit of a leap but maybe this announcement is on a Wednesday for reasons relating to a third party?

jaw04005
Aug 24, 2007, 12:10 PM
How about fixing progressive video playlists? That's the reason I took my AppleTV back. It doesn't play video playlists progressively.

It doesn't support video playlists at all.

DaBrain
Aug 24, 2007, 12:14 PM

Well how about movie rentals for starters?--))) :D

jfmartin
Aug 24, 2007, 12:16 PM
On the last Apple Event, during the Q & A session, Steve told that this was an Mac event and that there would not be any discussion regarding the Apple TV... but some new thing soon... Sept 5th is the day... here is a summary:

* state of the Music Business at Apple
* state of the Movie Business at Apple
* the iPod state on the union
* introducing Movie Rentals
* introducing iTunes Modile (browse and buy from iPhone and Apple TV)
* iPhone firmware 1.1 announced
* AppleTV firmware 1.2 announced
* new iPod: the return of the iPod mini: same functionnality of the current 5.5 gen iPods, same screen, flash based: 8, 16 gigs, very thin, VERY thin and sexy
* new iPod: the new iPod featuring: same screen as the iPhone, OS X based, HD based
* all 5 and 5.5 gen iPod will be able to upgrade to the iPod OS 2.0
* price reduction of the iPod nano but same as today
* price reduction of shuffles but same as today

That's all folks !

ibn.
Aug 24, 2007, 12:26 PM
lets go 12 or 13 inch macbook pro!:D

bozz2006
Aug 24, 2007, 12:27 PM
Penryn isn't due for release until November though, so I don't know if Apple would be given that much lead time on the processors. I'd say a Mac Pro update in tandem with Leopard's release is the more likely scenario.

Or, along these lines, a Mac Pro announcement at the event, however with an actual shipping date of 4-6 weeks from that point.

i'm waiting until leopard is released to purchase it anyway, so if they do the announcement the same time as leopard is released, i would be ok with that. that does seem like the most logical scenario; more logical than the one i proposed anyhow!

Eraserhead
Aug 24, 2007, 12:28 PM
une/July was all about iPhone
October - Leopard

That looks sensible, I suspect there will be a MBP/MB update with Leopard if Penryn is out.

CWallace
Aug 24, 2007, 12:38 PM
If the European iPhone is ready to go by the Paris Expo, it would be the perfect "One More Thing..." (sic) at the end of the new iPod Keynote.

Taylor C
Aug 24, 2007, 12:41 PM
Definitely excited, but I highly doubt I'll be purchasing a new iPod any time soon. Both my 5.5 gen video and nano have seen absolutely no use since I got my iPhone. I'm perfectly content with not carrying absolutely everything with me at all times, it's actually become a preference, just because of how well the iPhone integrates with content management due to its limited storage.

jmerk
Aug 24, 2007, 12:42 PM
i am desperately hoping for the iPhone Nano with the following specs:

8-16 GB Storage
Simple Calling Features
Photo viewing

Things it doesn't need: browser, e-mail, ichat, OSX...(to keep the price down)

If you look at Apple's product line: there are good precedents of distinctions between "levels" from pro to mass consumer. the market is DEFINITELY there for an iPhone Nano at $200-400 range (this price is out of thin air...)

desktop:
Mac Pro
iMac
Mac mini

laptop:
17" Macbook Pro
15" Macbook Pro
12" still waiting for this too (to replace current 12")

iPod:
Video iPod
Nano
Shuffle

iPhone
iPhone Nano
iPhone Shuffle (Dick Tracy wristwatch communicator/shuffle..okay, i'm kidding)

greg6028
Aug 24, 2007, 12:44 PM

It's time for HD content for Apple TV - and more movie studios to join in!

verniesgarden
Aug 24, 2007, 12:54 PM
Oh, I don't know ...

they wont add 4:3 support because its a dead format, you go buy a TV these days, its hard to find an old "standard" screen size, even alot of the CRTs have moved to 16:9 but even CRTs are on the way out.

viewing video in 16:9 is just better for your eyes anyway

neven
Aug 24, 2007, 12:57 PM
The apple TV crashes with very large itunes libraries. Mine crashes with my music library for example.

My iTunes library is 140 GB (4,500 songs, 50 movies, 160 TV episodes, 30 podcasts). I'm also syncing 8 GB (5,000) photos and accessing two smaller iTunes libraries.

While I wish AppleTV included some features - widget-type things, RSS feeds, more content in the iTunes Store, preferably in HD - I can tell you that I have never seen it "crash" or had any sort of problem since I bought it the week they came out.

kirkbross
Aug 24, 2007, 12:57 PM
The Mac Pros are doubtful in my opinion, unless it is an announcement with an actual availability date a couple months out. I don't see the Mac Pros being updated until Penryn is available, which according to Intel is not until the November time frame. Perhaps Apple will get preferential treatment from Intel again, as they did with the iMac, and receive the chip earlier than the rest of the market, but even so I don't see a Mac Pro update until Leopard is released at the earliest, and more likely November base don the Penryn timeline.

I need a new, mac daddy Mac Pro "badly" for a current project, but I just bring myself to dump $3k+ on the current config. I'd be happy with a major overhaul even without Penryn or Leopard. A new mobo with better memory and an 8800 viddy -- while still using Clovertown and Tiger -- would be fine with me.

That said... Mac Rumors needs to split into two sites: one for people who would not lose a picosecond of sleep if iPod, AppleTV, iPhone and all laptops ceased to exist, and one for (I admit) the majority of Apple fans.

neven
Aug 24, 2007, 01:00 PM
That said... Mac Rumors needs to split into two sites: one for people who would not lose a picosecond of sleep if iPod, AppleTV, iPhone and all laptops ceased to exist, and one for (I admit) the majority of Apple fans.

Err... yeah, that's what they need.

Why don't you start MacProAndiMacRumors.com then? What's stopping you?

verniesgarden
Aug 24, 2007, 01:02 PM
its to release a new wireless keyboard with number pad... :D

InLikeALion
Aug 24, 2007, 01:04 PM
Is there any chance, at all... that maybe, Just maybe.... Apple will release Leopard at this event.

So it will be a surprise and released "Early" even tho it was delayed lol?

No. There isn't enough time to go from the developer beta's we've seen to Gold Master/pressing/packaging in 2 weeks.

neven
Aug 24, 2007, 01:08 PM
No. There isn't enough time to go from the developer beta's we've seen to Gold Master/pressing/packaging in 2 weeks.

...and I really doubt that they'll be pre-announcing the shipping date. They got burned once with Leopard, I doubt they'll be announcing the shipping date until a rock-solid build is in Steve's hands.

Peace
Aug 24, 2007, 01:14 PM
...and I really doubt that they'll be pre-announcing the shipping date. They got burned once with Leopard, I doubt they'll be announcing the shipping date until a rock-solid build is in Steve's hands.

Whose to say there isn't a rock solid version in Steve's hands? Do you personally know the Apple engineers?

Eric Lewis
Aug 24, 2007, 01:14 PM
I've said it before in another post that September will be all about new iPods, updated iPods, iTunes store, Beatles catalog and AppleTV. Having worked in retail, when a given promo begins or ends has absolutely no bearing on product introductions.

October - Leopard

After that, look for display updates and maybe, maybe MacPro updates.

After the first of the year, sometime in 2008, maybe a MacTablet with gesture support.

October - Leopard/MacPro/Displays

rest44
Aug 24, 2007, 01:18 PM
Itīs new iPods for sure, start shipping after "back 2 school" ends.

I just wish they put a matte screen in the iMac.. but thatīs mostly doubtfull. =(

kirkbross
Aug 24, 2007, 01:21 PM
Err... yeah, that's what they need.

Why don't you start MacProAndiMacRumors.com then? What's stopping you?

My desire to not start it.

jdc.i06
Aug 24, 2007, 01:22 PM
This is lucky because my (almost) 2 year old 5G is starting to have problems.

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 24, 2007, 01:22 PM

I was thinking about getting an :apple:TV, but I have a pretty large library, about 40GB and I wouldn't want it to crash. How big is your library?

johnee
Aug 24, 2007, 01:28 PM
I'm thinking... The Beatles.

Tom B.
Aug 24, 2007, 01:29 PM
These are the changes I expect with the iPod lineup:

iPod shuffle: price reductions and maybe a 2GB model.

iPod nano: basically the same as it is now but much shorter, maybe built in Nike+ transmitter and new orange model (otherwise the colours will be the same.

iPod video: this is the one we've seen the 9to5mac pictures of, basically a cross-between the nano and the 5G. it will also be available in the new colours. 8 and 16GB.

iPod touch: like an iPhone without the phone, wi-fi or camera. it will look like a 5G iPod, but the whole front is taken up by a touch screen. 60 and 120GB.

drugs!
Aug 24, 2007, 01:30 PM
Itīs new iPods for sure, start shipping after "back 2 school" ends.

I just wish they put a matte screen in the iMac.. but thatīs mostly doubtfull. =(

they wouldn't do that.... it would canibalize current sales. Upon announcement, whenever that may be, it will be available that day

drugs!
Aug 24, 2007, 01:31 PM
also, there is no way they are going to keep a nano with no video capacity and then one with. The new pictures that were posted, if the final product, will be the new nano

bommai
Aug 24, 2007, 01:36 PM

For one, add internet radio feature. I want the ability to store presets right on the Apple TV, so that the computer with iTunes does not need to be running. Squeezebox, Roku Soundbridge and several other players can all do this. There is nothing technically stopping apple from doing this unless it is some RIAA related arm twisting going on.

AJ Muni
Aug 24, 2007, 01:40 PM
Apple is hot right now.. Unlocked iPhones, new iPods coming out (Maybe not on the 5th, but you KNOW we will have new iPods this year), Leopard in October..Fun times..

Quickdood
Aug 24, 2007, 01:47 PM

If you look at the promotion detail it states specific model numbers so if they chose to release a new ipod I assume it would have a different model number and therefore it would not apply for the student deal. That being said I doubt sept 5th will be the date but hey, I won't complain if it turns out to be true!

Clive At Five
Aug 24, 2007, 02:44 PM
So funny story...

I got married a couple weeks ago, and it just so happened that my car had chosen to spite me in the worst way possible (probably for my all-to-common violent outbursts) by dying that very morning. Sucky deal, huh?

But wait, there's more!

I typically keep my iPod in my center console. (I live in the suburbs and park in a garage, okay?) Today was no exception. My iPod sat in my derelict vehicle stranded on a suburban side-street while I went and got married.

At the reception, my father meets a friend of my father in-law who happened to be an auto mechanic. The following morning, unbeknownst to me, my father had the car towed to his shop... in the slums of St. Paul.

I called him later that day and he had told me that he had it taken in to the shop. Thinking it was a cushy suburb shop, I wasn't too worried. A couple days passed before I learned that the diagnosis for my beloved station wagon wasn't good. I decided to pull the plug and went to retrieve my belongings.

"Where's the car?" I asked before the fateful trip.
"[so-and-so]'s shop in St. Paul" he replied.
"NOOOOOooOOOoooOOoOOoo! My iPod was in there!"
"Well, say goodbye to that!" he jested.

Sure enough, my iPod had been lifted... without any damage to the car, even! Now, I know what you're thinking, but I happen to know the guy who runs the shop. He would never do such a thing. It was a soulless St. Paul bandit who dared to thieve my iPod.

The joke's on him/her, though. My iPod's 40GB HDD died a couple months ago and I replaced it myself with a 20GB I bought for $40. Remember, the back of the iPod case says "40GB." Also, in the process of "fixing" my iPod, I must've shorted something because my battery only lasts for 8 hours.......... EVEN WHEN OFF. It was fine for me because I only used it in my iPod radio (with built-in charger) and my car (with a car adapter). I feel bad for the poor sucker who buys that thing off eBay. If anyone sees an auction for it, let me know... ;)

So long story short, I want a new iPod!

-Clive

InLikeALion
Aug 24, 2007, 03:14 PM
So funny story...

I got married a couple weeks ago, ....
-Clive

I just got married in May! Isn't it great? I love it.

And to keep it on the ipod topic: I bought my wife a pink nano to give to her with some other presents the morning we got married. It was loaded with a "honeymoon" playlist I made before carefully placing it back in its packaging.

zap2
Aug 24, 2007, 03:17 PM
I hope so...I'd love me a new iPod!

BoyBach
Aug 24, 2007, 03:18 PM
And to keep it on the ipod topic: I bought my wife a pink nano to give to her with some other presents the morning we got married. It was loaded with a "honeymoon" playlist I made before carefully placing it back in its packaging.

Nice story!

:)

Tom B.
Aug 24, 2007, 03:24 PM
The slim PSP also launches on 5th September. Does that matter?

Edit: Ok well that's only in Europe. 10th in America.

NightCastle
Aug 24, 2007, 03:26 PM
September 5th is my birthday and I turn 33 (3 + 3 = 6th Gen iPod). :D

I have been waiting for the 6th Gen iPod for over a year and it would be sweet if they announced it on my 33rd birthday!

I fully support a September 5th announcement for the next iPod!!:)

Chisholm
Aug 24, 2007, 04:15 PM
I think they're going to drop the x.5 bomb. Spoke with a regional apple rep today. They said there is a real crunch on the new iMacs. One has my name on it and will now ship by 9/6/2007.

twoodcc
Aug 24, 2007, 04:42 PM
well it is possible. after holidays, apple has had a history of releasing things on a Wednesday. i hope it's true this time as well

offwidafairies
Aug 24, 2007, 05:05 PM
bump in mbp speed and hdd size/speed
and leopard release date
PAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASE
:D

madmaxmedia
Aug 24, 2007, 05:05 PM
Where did you get this from? It all sounds like its spot on to me.

Bringing back the iPod Mini name makes sense. It's a good time, since the new Mini actually has all the features of the 5.5 G.

And of course the new iPod Touch. My only fear is what the starting price will be for the Touch- I hope it's $299. By having a Mini, they could conceivably start the Touch at $349 or $399. I think $299 is really the magic number though.

On the last Apple Event, during the Q & A session, Steve told that this was an Mac event and that there would not be any discussion regarding the Apple TV... but some new thing soon... Sept 5th is the day... here is a summary:

* new iPod: the return of the iPod mini: same functionnality of the current 5.5 gen iPods, same screen, flash based: 8, 16 gigs, very thin, VERY thin and sexy
* new iPod: the new iPod featuring: same screen as the iPhone, OS X based, HD based

That's all folks !

peharri
Aug 24, 2007, 05:20 PM
Don't know where people are getting "iPod mini" from, the screenshots that turned out to be dead on (Apple legal had them pulled) explicitly used the "nano" term in the filename on the shot.

iPod touch seems possible and I suspect it'll replace the existing disk based iPods. New iPod nano (the wider, video enabled, version) seems absolutely certain. Possibly an iPod shuffle refresh but I doubt it.

iPod mini? Not a chance.

CWallace
Aug 24, 2007, 05:27 PM
Well, if the Nano takes on the role of the current iPod, then Apple doesn't need to append any suffix to the iPhone-form factor units. They can simply remain "iPods".

I just hope Apple keeps the Nano form factor. Maybe make it even smaller and thinner and call it the "iPod Angstrom". :p

madmaxmedia
Aug 24, 2007, 06:08 PM
Don't know where people are getting "iPod mini" from, the screenshots that turned out to be dead on (Apple legal had them pulled) explicitly used the "nano" term in the filename on the shot.

iPod touch seems possible and I suspect it'll replace the existing disk based iPods. New iPod nano (the wider, video enabled, version) seems absolutely certain. Possibly an iPod shuffle refresh but I doubt it.

iPod mini? Not a chance.

Yes, but how much can you draw for certain from a file name of a photo? I think it makes more sense for Apple to keep the current narrow Nano form factor, and simply add a new iPod with the larger screen and 5.5G functionality. Making the existing Nano bigger makes it a little less convenient for people who want a small player for working out, etc.

The gradual trend has been towards more iPod products. There used to be 1, now there are 3. So I don't think it's a huge stretch to imagine 4 soon, as functionality expands.

Eraserhead
Aug 24, 2007, 06:19 PM
The gradual trend has been towards more iPod products. There used to be 1, now there are 3. So I don't think it's a huge stretch to imagine 4 soon, as functionality expands.

There are, ones called the iPhone, though what you say kinda makes sense.

OnlyMarcusCannn
Aug 24, 2007, 06:30 PM

I totally agree, since people like a vast array of products. Honestly, the iPhone could serve as a "4th" iPod, just with more features. So I wanna say that if this September 4 or 5th date is accurate, we'll most likely see something like the iPhone--of course, without the phone and web features. Maybe we'll even see downloadable games from iTunes? Who knows. If the outcome is how I think it'll be, I'll definitely be buying it. I love the iPhone's iPod interface! :cool:

aswitcher
Aug 24, 2007, 06:52 PM
My 3G iPod died yesterday so the 5th would be very nice for an update.

Its been a very leaky Apple recently (Keyboards, Alu iMacs) so I have some hope this is going to come true.

peharri
Aug 24, 2007, 07:15 PM
Yes, but how much can you draw for certain from a file name of a photo?

Nothing "for certain", but the person putting together the ad would have had to have been drunk if they'd put "nano" (and only nano) in the filename of ad copy intended to advertise a device that isn't the nano.

It's impossible to tell exactly what it is from the photo, but it seems probable that it's a flash based iPod, like the nano, that would presumably be made up of similarly costing components, with the exception of the larger screen. So, in all probability, we're looking at a device that would cost the same as the existing nano, have similar capabilities, be a similar size, and have a larger screen.

Why would they keep the existing nano around under those circumstances?

Don Bagles
Aug 24, 2007, 07:34 PM
They need to make a super super high end device for those of us who have money, and want the best thing possible.

I'm hoping for an iPod that is hard drive based, has a 4" screen, and possesses all the features of the iPhone, for $799 or something.

Why not?

madmaxmedia
Aug 24, 2007, 08:10 PM
Why would they keep the existing nano around under those circumstances?

Because the existing Nano form factor is better for active use- working out, exercising, etc.

That's why I'm surmising that they will keep the existing Nano form factor, and then add a larger one that basically replaces the old 5.5G.

Then add the Touch at the top-of-the-line. Which I'm finding hard to imagine will start at $299, but my fingers are crossed.

BiikeMike
Aug 24, 2007, 08:34 PM
Clive, That sucks dude!

I had my iPod lifted a few months ago, and I am waiting until they release the new one. I spend a lot of time on airplanes, and a widescreen iPod + my Shure E2C's = Very Happy BiikeMike!

I have to say though, The Creative Zen Vision W looks pretty nice......

peharri
Aug 24, 2007, 08:44 PM
Because the existing Nano form factor is better for active use- working out, exercising, etc.

If they believe that, why release the new version at all?

And seriously, I doubt the new nano form factor is going to pose any serious issues with active use. It's apparently slightly wider (though no more than a regular iPod, which isn't that wide), but much much shorter and it retains (presumably) the width of its predecessor.

This is the company that will not release an expandable 3-box Mac in anything other than the prosumer price range, chosing instead to divide its desktops amongst three entirely unalike machines, appealing to entirely different groups, yet priced at strictly adjacent price bands. The idea they're going to create two different shaped (with different screen sizes) but otherwise identically spec'd iPods at roughly the same price strikes me as totally out of character.

The new nano is not going to be perfect, but it'll be "good enough" for the target audience. And as long as it's "good enough" for the largest possible target audience there is, it'll sell like hot cakes.

The squarepods are the new iPod nanos.

thespazz
Aug 24, 2007, 08:47 PM
I don't know if anyone noticed, but looks like cNet bit on the "rumor" Ars posted. This must be much more than a rumor.

Anywho, I really hope the $249/299 price points stick. I have been waiting since the end of May for a new iPod. I really hope it comes. Starting school with a new 'pod will make the bus ride to campus so much easier.

TaKashMoney
Aug 24, 2007, 08:56 PM
I, for one, don't really care to see what happens to the rest of the ipod line as long as a phoneless-iPhone is released. While I may be in the minority, I actually think a Wi/Fi Safari Email enabled iPod is the most logical step to the flagship model and the way to only further market dominance. Cannibalizing iPhone sales? Please. Apple sold 9.8 million ipods in the last quarter alone despite the very public news of the iPhone's release. Do you really think they want to forego their 71.5% market share in MP3 players to sell more phones which only work (officially) on one cell carrier?? ( Source: http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/25/liveblogging-the-apple-earnings-call/ )

That just doesnt seem to make much business sense to me. I hope I dont end up eating my words, but if a high capacity, touchscreen, wifi iPod hits on September 5th, my credit card will do a double flip out of my wallet.

M!K
Aug 24, 2007, 08:56 PM
Can't wait for the announcement!
i really wish and hope for a touch screen iPod. i don't care 'bout hte price. i'll buy it for sure:D

Don Bagles
Aug 24, 2007, 09:01 PM
I have $500 in cash in my wallet right now, that i've been saving up for exactly this. The minute it's released, i'm going to the Apple Store and buying one.

homeboy
Aug 24, 2007, 09:46 PM

That's all folks !

It looks like we are on the same page mate. That's exactly what I expect, except for the movie rental idea which seems a bit odd. Other than that you got it!
I can't wait for the iPod with touch screen, got the cash ready for a black one:)

Mgkwho
Aug 24, 2007, 10:03 PM
I'm starting to think that this Special Event will tie in new iPod announcements with a Leopard announcement.

Sure Leopard isn't shipping until October- but I was under the impression that new features will be announced right before its release. Perhaps Jobs & Co. want to announce them while the final testing commences?

I had thought September 11th would hold new iPod/iTunes announcements, but if they're combining a large iPod launch with a Leopard announcement, then perhaps Wed the 5th makes sense.

-=|Mgkwho

mashinhead
Aug 24, 2007, 10:16 PM
September 11th September 11th September 11th

The 5th is a Wednesday, but hey- all the sooner for us! An internal event, though- does that sound like an iPod would be released? I would think new iPods to be released all at once.

-=|Mgkwho

i didn't believe it either, at first. Mostly because it's so close to the paris expo and if they were introducing new ipods what would they do at the paris expo. But after just rereading appleinsider, thinksecret, and arstechnic reports i think the 5th is a lock. Why? because they mention that the last update was exactly one year ago. i think apple doesn't want more than a year to pass without the ipod line being updated. Literally no more than one year. Not even by a day. But that still leaves the ?uestion of what the paris expo is for then? Leopard?

GrannySmith_G5
Aug 24, 2007, 10:41 PM
Apple hosting a "major" event in less than 2 weeks time to update the ipod which really hasn't been updated since 2005 and nobody seems to care. Odd. Is the iPod dead or what? This thread has less responses than the intel chip thread.

btallada9870
Aug 24, 2007, 10:41 PM
apple added the ipod mini, which was called mini because it was smaller than the regular ipod. then they replaced the mini with the nano. nano being a good name because if one heard mini as compared to nano, most would think the nano was smaller. i don't understand why apple would release the ipod nano with it's current form factor, and try so hard to make it a good exercise mp3 player with the whole nike+ thing just to make it bigger. why would the ipod nano become bigger? no one wants anything to become bigger, they alwyas want things more compact. maybe i'm saying all of this because i think the 2g ipod nano is the perfect shape. it fits so well into your hand when you're running on a treadmill. i'm rambling but i hope this isn't the new nano!

Darkroom
Aug 25, 2007, 12:01 AM
wednesday's aren't so unusual... last september apple released the iMac C2D and Mac Mini on a wednesday...

SactoGuy18
Aug 25, 2007, 12:19 AM
iPod shuffle--no hardware changes externally, but there will now be a 2 GB model in addition to a 1 GB model. 1 GB will now cost US$70 and 2 GB model will cost US$100.

iPod nano--no hardware changes externally, but 2 GB model dropped, 4 GB model in silver case becomes low end model, 8 GB model becomes "mainstream" model with up to ten different color cases, and new 16 GB model in black and red case only. Prices will be lowered (US$150 for 4 GB, US$200 for 8 GB, and US$250 for 16 GB).

iPod nano video--new model that looks like a 2G nano "writ large" with wider case (but same sized Click Wheel) that accommodates a display almost as large as the 5.5G iPod so it can play back videos. It will be available in 8 GB and 16 GB flash memory storage versions in five different color cases. Cost will be US$250 for 8 GB model and US$299 for 16 GB model.

6G iPod video--all new model in a case about the same size as 5.5G iPod that uses a fullscreen display with touchscreen interface. It will be available with 80 GB and 120 GB hard disk storage. Cost will be US$350 for 80 GB model and US$399 for 120 GB model.

Nick12QB
Aug 25, 2007, 12:22 AM
would this event possibly pin down a release date for Leopard? Two seeds in 5 days, and there are still 10 days until the supposed event date, so I think it possible that we're near a goldmaster

~Shard~
Aug 25, 2007, 12:40 AM
wednesday's aren't so unusual... last september apple released the iMac C2D and Mac Mini on a wednesday...

This is correct. Actually last year I remember quite a few people citing that "Wednesday is the new Tuesday" due to several Apple releases which occurred on Wednesdays. ;)

JGowan
Aug 25, 2007, 12:44 AM

I have been waiting for the 6th Gen iPod for over a year and it would be sweet if they announced it on my 33rd birthday!

I fully support a September 5th announcement for the next iPod!!:)I've been waiting for a new iPod ever since I gave my father my 3rd Generation (3Gs were still in the store at the time, so you know how long that's been)! I don't know why I never broke down and got another one... I guess it's because widescreen/touchscreen iPods have been a rumor now FOREVER and EVER! D@mn rumors. I love 'em!

I did finally break down and got a 2G Shuffle when they were first released (Silver, no colors) -- enjoy it a lot but really want the big iPod!

JonfromVegas
Aug 25, 2007, 12:45 AM
Anyone think the Beatles catalog will hit iTunes on the 5th as well? That new ipod interface video was all Beatles themed.

And I don't think the new ipod will have the storage capacity that some are suggesting. Apple has shown that they are pretty comfortable with the 30GB range... they MIGHT go up to 40 GB for the low end but you wont see an 80 GB low end iPod since 90% of people don't need that much space. Hopefully they'll bump the high end up to 100-120 GB. But the low end wont go that high anytime soon.

madmaxmedia
Aug 25, 2007, 12:53 AM
They try packing a few announcements at once, so a Beatles announcement seems likely (or very possible.)

I also agree about the smaller full-sized iPod. They gradually bump the storage each time. I think 40GB sounds about right for the smaller one, it helps keep their cost down and a $299 price point within reach.

Anyone think the Beatles catalog will hit iTunes on the 5th as well? That new ipod interface video was all Beatles themed.

And I don't think the new ipod will have the storage capacity that some are suggesting. Apple has shown that they are pretty comfortable with the 30GB range... they MIGHT go up to 40 GB for the low end but you wont see an 80 GB low end iPod since 90% of people don't need that much space. Hopefully they'll bump the high end up to 100-120 GB. But the low end wont go that high anytime soon.

zioxide
Aug 25, 2007, 01:13 AM
Touchscreen is ****.

Also, hopefully we finally will get some damn HD TV and movies on iTunes.

Don Bagles
Aug 25, 2007, 02:34 AM
Why does nobody care??? It's the 6G iPod people!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::(:(:(

:):):):):):)

i0Nic
Aug 25, 2007, 03:02 AM
Yeah I'm surprised by the lack of interest these ipod rumours are getting. Maybe everyone is tired of the widescreen ipod rumour and just want it to be released already.

siurpeeman
Aug 25, 2007, 03:46 AM

I fully support a September 5th announcement for the next iPod!!:)

September 5th is my birthday too. but this rumor can't be true, because it's rare for good things to happen on my birthday. :(

crjeong
Aug 25, 2007, 05:12 AM
Too many rumours, not enough action.

thesdx
Aug 25, 2007, 06:20 AM
Here's what I think will happen:

iPod Shuffle - No major changes besides bigger sizes

iPod Nano - Smaller, more capacity, and cheaper

6G iPod - I don't think that spy shot is the Nano. I think it's the new 6G iPod. More capacity, cheaper, thinner.

iPod Touch - New model with touchscreen, Safari, Mail, Google Maps, YouTube, 3 1/2" multi-touch screen, no click wheel, basically a phoneless iPhone.

P.B.
Aug 25, 2007, 07:28 AM
iPod Nano - Smaller, more capacity, and cheaper

6G iPod - I don't think that spy shot is the Nano. I think it's the new 6G iPod. More capacity, cheaper, thinner.

iPod Touch - New model with touchscreen, Safari, Mail, Google Maps, YouTube, 3 1/2" multi-touch screen, no click wheel, basically a phoneless iPhone.

Even though i don't think your solution is very likely to happen i actually would prefer it to any other.
The commonly expected scenario (iPod nano, iPod nano video, iPod touch) creates one problem for me: ALL these iPods are unattractive to iPhone users. Why would Apple want to lose iPhone owners as potential iPod buyers?
I myself will buy an iPhone as soon as it arrives in Germany.
Until now i used a iPod video and a iPod nano: the video for my whole library. the nano for selected albums (favorites and new arrivals).
i took the nano for small 'trips' into town, university or similiar occasions (that is for listenig while walking, sitting in the metro) because its so small you hardly feel it in your pocket.
the video served as a backup of my data, longer trips (that is more than one day), for private parties (when i wanted all my music to be play) or if i had a handbag with me.
Now, if you own an iPhone it clearly makes an iPod shuffle or nano useless: Why would you want to carry a second device with you if you have the same amount of storage always with you.
But, supossedly the iPod 6G will be the rumored iPod touch: As an iPhone owner, why would you want to pay double for most of the features (WiFi etc)? Why would you want to carry 2 quite big devices with you that distinct themselves from eachother only through 2 features: one has a lot more storage, the other one can make phone calls.
I think Apple needs an iPod that is attractive for iPhone users: big HD (100GB) but smaller and cheaper than a iPod touch with wifi.
Just my 2 cents. Can't imagine i'm the only iPhone (pretty soon) user who thinks that way.
I also can't imagine that the iPod 6G will have superior features to the iPhone as wireless syncing or online iTunes store since this would take a lot of impact to the iPhone launch in the rest of the world; being already dated before it is even released.

crjeong
Aug 25, 2007, 08:30 AM
Why would Apple want to lose iPod owners as potential iPhone buyers?

I think Apple have quite the dilemma here, both products somehow need to integrate so that people will be tempted to buy them both.

As it stands, people will most likely go for one or the other, not both, and quite a few iPod customers will abandon their iPod for the iPhone. But what Apple really wants, is people to buy them both.

Either that, or the product lines will need to merge.

Lesser Evets
Aug 25, 2007, 08:55 AM
Yeah I'm surprised by the lack of interest these ipod rumours are getting. Maybe everyone is tired of the widescreen ipod rumour and just want it to be released already.

Perhaps because iPods aren't complex, programmable, broad interfacing machines with a wide variety of function. You just watch video and listen to music... we already do that. Unless they add touch screen it is merely a different sized screen and box with more memory. Is that exciting?

i0Nic
Aug 25, 2007, 09:00 AM
Perhaps because iPods aren't complex, programmable, broad interfacing machines with a wide variety of function. You just watch video and listen to music... we already do that. Unless they add touch screen it is merely a different sized screen and box with more memory. Is that exciting?

The rumours are pointing to the fact that that they are indeed adding multitouch and mac os x. That seems exciting to me.

rctshack
Aug 25, 2007, 04:03 PM
One of the things they will be announcing is a partnership with Starbucks. I have a friend working in a downtown san francisco starbucks and they said they are getting flat screen TV's installed that will advertise the HearMusic channel they play in the stores and will advertise apple products. They were told that Steve Jobs and Howard Shultz were going to make a big announcement on septermber 5th and will go and tour some of the starbucks stores.

It's weird because they said they were told this like it's just normal news and no one was saying to not tell anyone. Everyone working at that store was telling me about this and how they are excited that they might meet both of them.

I have no clue if there will be more to the meeting on the 5th, but I guarutee that Howard Shultz will be there and they will talk about these TV's being in the stores.

Don Bagles
Aug 25, 2007, 04:32 PM
Come on people! Let's build up the hype here! This is exciting! Mac OS X based iPods!

Can you imagine a device that does EVERYTHING that iPhone does, except for getting online via AT&T and having a phone in it, that has a 160GB hard drive, and a bunch of Mac OS X apps?

Why isn't anyone getting excited about this? This is the first major design change for the iPod since 2001!

Don Bagles
Aug 25, 2007, 04:46 PM
Christ! Another 14 minutes, and no new responses.

I'm sorry Apple!!! I'm buying your new iPod. :)

ddk121
Aug 25, 2007, 06:37 PM
So, does the 5th of September date seem likely? Have apple indicated or confirmed yet that an event will happen on that day?

madmaxmedia
Aug 25, 2007, 07:06 PM
I'm just as excited as you are. I only hope that a 30GB iPod Touch is realistic at $299.

I would also LOVE to see Wifi (and Safari, chat, etc.), along with the sort of hackability for new apps the iPhone has. I think the wifi will eventually come later if not September 5. There will always be music-centric iPods, but a fullscreen touch iPod running OSX is turning into a supremely cool pocket computer/PDA.

Come on people! Let's build up the hype here! This is exciting! Mac OS X based iPods!

Can you imagine a device that does EVERYTHING that iPhone does, except for getting online via AT&T and having a phone in it, that has a 160GB hard drive, and a bunch of Mac OS X apps?

Why isn't anyone getting excited about this? This is the first major design change for the iPod since 2001!

Quickdood
Aug 25, 2007, 08:15 PM
A little of topic but I really want the iphone/the new ipod to get an ebook reading program, I know there is one in developement for the iphone but it isn't too complex yet. I would love to see one where you can use a finger flick to turn the page!

homeboy
Aug 25, 2007, 08:32 PM
Have apple indicated or confirmed yet that an event will happen on that day?
The biggest indication that new iPod will be launched very soon is the fact that most big stores around the world are more or less dry on iPod. Many of them have run out of stock while other have very few left.

ds252
Aug 25, 2007, 09:54 PM
Regarding getting pumped about the upcoming ipods i just don't want to get to excited to soon because if they don't come out on the 5th i assume were looking at the 25th and 20 days is way to long, coming on this sight every 5 minutes to see if they have a new headline or some inside info, it's fun and all but this is all i can think about, how nasty this new ipod will be.

gonnabuyamac
Aug 25, 2007, 10:17 PM
The biggest indication that new iPod will be launched very soon is the fact that most big stores around the world are more or less dry on iPod. Many of them have run out of stock while other have very few left.

What stores, specifically, are out of iPods? I'm just curious.

gonnabuyamac
Aug 25, 2007, 10:23 PM
What stores, specifically, are out of iPods? I'm just curious.

Wow, nevermind. I did a quick search through all the Best Buys, Wal-marts, and Target stores in a 100 mile radius (which includes a few large cities), and all of them are out of 5.5g ipods....

I'm thinking they'll be released soon!

hatcher146
Aug 25, 2007, 10:35 PM
same here. i did a search too. im getting excited!!! but they probably wont ship 'till after the promo ends right? or no?

btallada9870
Aug 25, 2007, 10:42 PM
I'm pretty sure someone said that the promo says that the discount is only available on certain model numbers, so if they do release a new ipod the promo will not apply.

sam10685
Aug 26, 2007, 12:37 AM
The slim PSP also launches on 5th September. Does that matter?

Edit: Ok well that's only in Europe. 10th in America.

There's going to be a slim PSP? sign me up.:)

~Shard~
Aug 26, 2007, 12:56 AM
but they probably wont ship 'till after the promo ends right? or no?

The promo will simply be valid only for current models and will not include anything new. So Apple could release new iPods before the promotion without any difficulties.

SactoGuy18
Aug 26, 2007, 02:09 AM
I swung by Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, and Circuit City tonight and they are running extremely low on inventory of the iPod nano and 5.5G video iPod models. (Interestingly enough, iPod shuffles are plentiful.) That tells me the September 5, 2007 announcement of the new iPods may be quite close to the truth. :)

homeboy
Aug 26, 2007, 06:22 AM
(Interestingly enough, iPod shuffles are plentiful.)

Like I have said during the latest weeks, the shuffle in perfected in every single way, even in terms of capasity. Therefore nothing will be done to it, except a 10 dollar price reduction or so.

techlover828
Aug 26, 2007, 08:40 AM
wow, im getting excited! if they're less than 350 I'll sell my 5.5 30GB on ebay and get one of these, how much do you think I can get for mine?

BJNY
Aug 26, 2007, 08:47 AM
C'mon Apple, give me wireless. I want iPod Touch with WiFi along with Airport Express N and a WiFi version of the HiFi speaker.

Santeh
Aug 26, 2007, 09:03 AM

Hmm. Like others I have no idea what Apple may be planning for 09/05, yet after hearing what might come out, and reading posts like this, it still makes me think of an updated Newton (and I mean that in the absolute best way as I loved my MP 130 in particular).

Always...

Virgil-TB2
Aug 26, 2007, 10:41 AM
The Mac Pros are doubtful in my opinion, unless it is an announcement with an actual availability date a couple months out. I don't see the Mac Pros being updated until Penryn is available, which according to Intel is not until the November time frame. Perhaps Apple will get preferential treatment from Intel again, as they did with the iMac, and receive the chip earlier than the rest of the market, but even so I don't see a Mac Pro update until Leopard is released at the earliest, and more likely November base don the Penryn timeline.I agree.

The Mac Pro has to be updated soon though, as Apple will loose a lot of credibility if they don't manage it this year. Since it's the pro product, nothing makes more sense than tying it to the release of Leopard itself. All those testers slaving away on Leopard with their aging Mac Pros need a reward at the end of the tunnel for it.

Conversely the value proposition is so shot right now that they might just do a minor memory/processor upgrade sooner and hold off on any really new designs for another year, but that's a bit weak IMO.

Virgil-TB2
Aug 26, 2007, 10:55 AM
October - Leopard/MacPro/DisplaysCloser but I would say this instead:

June/July - iPhone
September - iPod, iPhone nano, iTunes
October - Leopard/MacPro

And with luck, next year Apple finally caves and gives us a new Bluetooth keyboard that isn't designed for "WinTV" users. ;) :eek:

jjneff
Aug 26, 2007, 10:58 AM
I'll be first in line for a true wifi ipod with Safari and mail and all those other web 2.0 apps, that would be awsome!!! I already am an AT&T DSL user so I get all those basic free wifi hotspots to use my new ipod. If they cripple the wifi features and only allow music downloads and such I will wait until it is how I want it.:)

Virgil-TB2
Aug 26, 2007, 11:07 AM
... i don't understand why apple would release the ipod nano with it's current form factor, and try so hard to make it a good exercise mp3 player with the whole nike+ thing just to make it bigger ... I think this is a good point that people should keep in mind when thinking about the upcoming iPods.

A large part of the current nano market is joggers and people working out, who just want a bit of music with them but don't need or want video and if that new "fatPod" nano is for real, it doesn't fit the bill.

The fat nano is a clearly a video=centric Pod if it's real at all, the large changes made in the form factor seem specifically done to make video more "do-able" n the thing. There simply must be another iPod in the works in the same form factor as the old nano or conversely they must keep the old nano form factor. Otherwise they will not have a product for the jogging/workout segment. At the very least to use the fatPod everyone will need new connectors and accessories. The blow-back from that would be substantial IMO.

If there is not at least one product new product in the old nano form factor (an I am personally hoping for iPhone nano here), it will be Apple's big mistake. Either that or the nano simply remains in it's current state more or less.

techlover828
Aug 26, 2007, 11:11 AM
Perhaps the new "nano", will replace the current ipod video, and then they'll make the OS X based ipod the premium one. Although 4 different ipods is a lot, don't want to become creative ;)

BiikeMike
Aug 26, 2007, 11:48 AM
I am currently in costco, and they usually have hundreds of iPods, and they have NONE! They have plenty of nano's, but no full sized!

(P.S. I just realized how big of a nerd I am that I pulled my Blackberry out to post on Macrumors in Costco!)

Virgil-TB2
Aug 26, 2007, 11:57 AM

Why isn't anyone getting excited about this? This is the first major design change for the iPod since 2001!It's good to get excited, but I don't see them doing this at all and I think it would be a mistake. The iPhone is the "close to a PDA" thing. This is a music device.

It will have sharing and WiFi and lots of cool stuff but it should *not* have Internet, etc. or "everything but the phone." It would would confuse the whole product line.

sam10685
Aug 26, 2007, 12:15 PM
I pulled my Blackberry out to post on Macrumors in Costco!

What's a blackberry?

BiikeMike
Aug 26, 2007, 12:22 PM
Just to add to my nerdom, I am now in CompUSA, and they have a bunch of nanos and shuffles, and one 5.5g.

And a Blackberry is that thing that is not, ya know, an iPhone!

peharri
Aug 26, 2007, 12:26 PM
If there is not at least one product new product in the old nano form factor (an I am personally hoping for iPhone nano here), it will be Apple's big mistake. Either that or the nano simply remains in it's current state more or less.

From the looks of it, it's a much shorter nano, and the width appears to be the same as ordinary iPods, with a thickness that presumably would be the same as the existing nano. It's hard for me to take seriously the notion that it's unsuitable for joggers.

But if there are joggers who really would find such a device cumbersome, the iPod shuffle is presumably a much better fit anyway. It's wearable without resorting to belt clips or bizarre holsters strapped to the upper arm.

I think Apple has that market covered. It's hard to see how the change in iPod nano dimensions is going to affect anything in that area.

Quickdood
Aug 26, 2007, 12:32 PM
Just to add to my nerdom, I am now in CompUSA, and they have a bunch of nanos and shuffles, and one 5.5g.

And a Blackberry is that thing that is not, ya know, an iPhone!

To support your nerdom, I just went on to the circuitcity website and did an inventory search for all the stores in Connecticut, they are all out of 5.5G ipods and only a few have nanos, most are out. I doubt Apple will let this go for the whole month of september, we are gonna see an announcement soon, Sept. 5th soon.

150hp
Aug 26, 2007, 12:40 PM

This, this idea, it excites me. Yes it does.

Monsterkid198
Aug 26, 2007, 01:41 PM
YYYEEESSS it is true lady's and gentelmen the new line of ipods are gonna come out september 5th. i don't know if they will be touch screen or not but my sources say that they will launch the new nano's and the new ipods with a full screen in early september keep your eyes open :eek: cause i'm deff gonna get it

Monsterkid198
Aug 26, 2007, 01:58 PM
oh did i say i can't wate:D

BrainDonor
Aug 26, 2007, 02:17 PM
Perhaps the new "nano", will replace the current ipod video, and then they'll make the OS X based ipod the premium one. Although 4 different ipods is a lot, don't want to become creative ;)

New Gen6 Ipod = Iphone - Phone + Harddrive + Bluetooth

Active playlist is in Flash, Non-Active Playlists are on Harddrive, Harddrive usage minimized, Battery life is maximized. ;)

TaKashMoney
Aug 26, 2007, 02:25 PM
I just posted this on another forum, but feel it may be most applicable here:

I think they WILL release an iPod with WiFi Safari and Mail and here's why. If popular reasoning is correct, that they wont release a phone-less-iPhone-like-iPod, because they fear cannibalizing iPhone sales, they are leaving out a huge section of the market, who want the touchscreen internet surfing glory of the iPhone, but either can't or simply dont want to leave our current cell phone providers. While I think Apple does want to take over the cellphone market, at the same time, I think its ridiculous to assume that Apple intends the world to switch over to AT&T. And currently Apple is in a fairly lengthy exclusive contract with AT&T, severely limiting their potential buyer's market.

If I were Apple, on Sept 5th, I would blow the world away by releasing the iPhone technology to everyone who can't/won't switch providers. "Keep your cell phone service, but don't miss out on the touch revolution. Experience your music, movies, pictures, and internet with your fingertips with Apple's very own Mac Os X and Safari."

Now, instead of competing in the very small market of people looking for a new phone and willing to switch providers and pay for a 2 year contract, they are competing in a much larger market of people with/without phones, of kids, teenagers, businessmen, grandparents, all over the world (not just the US) without being tethered and limited by phone use.

And for those who say the new iPod wont have internet because the iPod is a media device, not a communications device... The internet is vastly becoming the premier way to absorb media! YouTube, streaming shows by network television, Flickr, iTunes, internet radio, CNN, ESPN, Fox News... I can go on and on.

Furthermore, I think everyone will agree when I say that the iPhone was designed as a convergence device. They bundled three things into one, so you dont have to carry around three different devices. Now why is everyone expecting Apple to limit their potential sales to a huge market in order to still convince a very small section of the market to buy three different devices? That just doesn't make much sense to me.

While of course all of this is pure speculation, and I may end up eating my words, I truly think the iPhone was a testing ground to see how the world would respond to the amazing technology. Of course Apple knew they were selling to a limited market and what better way to test the waters to see the demand of the entire technological world? Now is the time for Apple to truly reinvent the iPod, the device that saved the company, and the device that continues to provide lasting positive effects as well as a substantial portion of their total revenue. Already the iPod was noted to create a halo effect
of switchers to the Mac platform. Now they can not only sell their simplicity and design, they can also give the world a taste of Mac Os X and Safari!

CoreWeb
Aug 26, 2007, 04:54 PM
I think they WILL release an iPod with WiFi Safari and Mail and here's why. If popular reasoning is correct, that they wont release a phone-less-iPhone-like-iPod, because they fear cannibalizing iPhone sales, they are leaving out a huge section of the market, who want the touchscreen internet surfing glory of the iPhone, but either can't or simply dont want to leave our current cell phone providers. While I think Apple does want to take over the cellphone market, at the same time, I think its ridiculous to assume that Apple intends the world to switch over to AT&T. And currently Apple is in a fairly lengthy exclusive contract with AT&T, severely limiting their potential buyer's market.

I disagree. Though, I wouldn't be too sure about the AT&T exclusivity. As we don't know the details of that contract, it may mean that iPhone 1.0 is limited to AT&T.

But I don't think that Apple would release an iPod with Safari and Mail using WiFi, at least not this soon. It would cannibalize their iPhone sales. Perhaps Apple would release one later (next year), but right now seems a bit soon, in my opinion. After all, Apple wants to reach 10 million sold in one year. If everyone who wanted iPhone technology could get it by buying a less expensive iPod, then iPhones wouldn't sell as well.

Now, perhaps Apple would start selling the iPhone in a way so it would be usable without phone service. Then, people could buy it as an iPod, but at any time make it into a phone.

CWallace
Aug 26, 2007, 05:06 PM
Closer but I would say this instead:

June/July - iPhone
September - iPod, iPhone nano, iTunes
October - Leopard/MacPro

I don't see Apple releasing a second iPhone handset two months after the original and before/around the time they release the iPhone in Europe.

macenforcer
Aug 26, 2007, 05:39 PM
New ipods must be very close. I just got back from target and they have like a few shuffles left and thats it. No ipods in stock at all. Something is brewing. :apple:

madmaxmedia
Aug 26, 2007, 06:03 PM
But I don't think that Apple would release an iPod with Safari and Mail using WiFi, at least not this soon. It would cannibalize their iPhone sales. Perhaps Apple would release one later (next year), but right now seems a bit soon, in my opinion. After all, Apple wants to reach 10 million sold in one year. If everyone who wanted iPhone technology could get it by buying a less expensive iPod, then iPhones wouldn't sell as well.

Cannibalization is only a problem if the iPod is too close feature-wise, but much cheaper than the iPhone. It's possible that the highest-end iPod (80 or 120GB), could have wifi and cost $500.

Otherwise, I agree that Wifi is probably a year away. Too bad! ;)

Don Bagles
Aug 26, 2007, 09:34 PM
All I can say is this:

The new iPod will not disappoint anybody.

Think about what that means. And i'm not kidding either.

Maui
Aug 26, 2007, 09:37 PM
I don't see Apple releasing a second iPhone handset two months after the original and before/around the time they release the iPhone in Europe.

I agree -- I really think you are right. No way Apple would anger all of its most loyal customers by obsoleting iPhone 1.0 so quickly. And, everyone should keep in mind that Apple isn't exactly known for rev'ing its hardware too quickly.

boobooq88
Aug 26, 2007, 11:16 PM
I am currently in costco, and they usually have hundreds of iPods, and they have NONE! They have plenty of nano's, but no full sized!

(P.S. I just realized how big of a nerd I am that I pulled my Blackberry out to post on Macrumors in Costco!)

I work at a costco and the store i work at is completely out of ipods. as well as all 5 of the other warehouses within a 20 minute drive.

If thats not good news... i dont know what is

kugino
Aug 27, 2007, 12:54 AM
I just posted this on another forum, but feel it may be most applicable here:

If I were Apple, on Sept 5th, I would blow the world away by releasing the iPhone technology to everyone who can't/won't switch providers. "Keep your cell phone service, but don't miss out on the touch revolution. Experience your music, movies, pictures, and internet with your fingertips with Apple's very own Mac Os X and Safari."

Now, instead of competing in the very small market of people looking for a new phone and willing to switch providers and pay for a 2 year contract, they are competing in a much larger market of people with/without phones, of kids, teenagers, businessmen, grandparents, all over the world (not just the US) without being tethered and limited by phone use.

And for those who say the new iPod wont have internet because the iPod is a media device, not a communications device... The internet is vastly becoming the premier way to absorb media! YouTube, streaming shows by network television, Flickr, iTunes, internet radio, CNN, ESPN, Fox News... I can go on and on.

Furthermore, I think everyone will agree when I say that the iPhone was designed as a convergence device. They bundled three things into one, so you dont have to carry around three different devices. Now why is everyone expecting Apple to limit their potential sales to a huge market in order to still convince a very small section of the market to buy three different devices? That just doesn't make much sense to me.

While of course all of this is pure speculation, and I may end up eating my words, I truly think the iPhone was a testing ground to see how the world would respond to the amazing technology. Of course Apple knew they were selling to a limited market and what better way to test the waters to see the demand of the entire technological world? Now is the time for Apple to truly reinvent the iPod, the device that saved the company, and the device that continues to provide lasting positive effects as well as a substantial portion of their total revenue. Already the iPod was noted to create a halo effect
of switchers to the Mac platform. Now they can not only sell their simplicity and design, they can also give the world a taste of Mac Os X and Safari!

good try but, um, no.

Don Bagles
Aug 27, 2007, 01:01 AM
good try but, um, no.

Why not?

By the way, Death is the Road to Awe, by Clint Mansell, really describes the build up toward such an incredible announcement as this new iPod.

madmaxmedia
Aug 27, 2007, 01:04 AM
I think Takash is right on the money, but the device he is talking about is closer to $600 than to $300. Apple's current onvergence device costs $500 or $600. They can release another one without the phone part, but it will be at least $400. Maybe the highest-end iPod will cost around $450, and have the wifi.

I definitely agree that everyone wants that mobile Safari running off wifi...and Apple can make it happen. The only question is when, and at what price.

Don Bagles
Aug 27, 2007, 01:57 AM
I think Takash is right on the money, but the device he is talking about is closer to $600 than to $300. Apple's current onvergence device costs $500 or $600. They can release another one without the phone part, but it will be at least $400. Maybe the highest-end iPod will cost around $450, and have the wifi.

I definitely agree that everyone wants that mobile Safari running off wifi...and Apple can make it happen. The only question is when, and at what price.

Why should internet on a mobile device be tied to a contract with AT&T? If i'm in a Wi-Fi hot spot, and i've got my brand new, 6G iPod, WITH THE SAME DESIGN AND FUNCTIONALITY AS THE IPHONE, then why shouldn't I be able to go online?

If Apple DOESN'T put Wi-Fi and Safari in the new iPod, then I might switch to PC!

And yes, i'm expecting the highest end iPod to cost $599. Same price as the iPhone. With the iPhone you pay for phone functions, and with the iPod you pay for storage. But both should run Safari.

Chris Bangle
Aug 27, 2007, 03:26 AM

Thats what i think will happen

rockthecasbah
Aug 27, 2007, 09:04 AM
All I can say is this:

The iPod was canceled and has benamed Newton? My dream has come true! :p

I think there will be a lot of people on this forum that will be disappointed with the new iPod, whatever is released. People love to complain, and if the iPod is anything similar to either the "rumored Nano" (stubby) or a near clone of the 5th gen, i will be right along with them!

Why should internet on a mobile device be tied to a contract with AT&T? If i'm in a Wi-Fi hot spot, and i've got my brand new, 6G iPod, WITH THE SAME DESIGN AND FUNCTIONALITY AS THE IPHONE, then why shouldn't I be able to go online?

If Apple DOESN'T put Wi-Fi and Safari in the new iPod, then I might switch to PC!

And yes, i'm expecting the highest end iPod to cost $599. Same price as the iPhone. With the iPhone you pay for phone functions, and with the iPod you pay for storage. But both should run Safari.

God i hope it doesn't cost as much as you want. As far as i'm concerned, WiFi? Meh, if it will cost me an arm and a leg like you suggest. All i really need is the iPod part of the iPhone and multitouch, everything else is just superfluous.

Quickdood
Aug 27, 2007, 09:16 AM
All I can say is this:

So the new ipod will come with a built in holographic imager? Nice!!!

In all seriousness though are you saying this from an "I know more than you cause I am an insider point of view" or do you just have a lot of confidence in Apple? Not disappointing me would mean it would have to have wifi and I am pretty sure I will be disappointed.

johnmcboston
Aug 27, 2007, 09:47 AM
Samdisk seems to come out with some nifty (and cheap) competition to the Shuffle

cnet: http://tinyurl.com/35h7ac
Electronista: http://tinyurl.com/2lm45w

~Shard~
Aug 27, 2007, 10:13 AM
Samdisk seems to come out with some nifty (and cheap) competition to the Shuffle

cnet: http://tinyurl.com/35h7ac
Electronista: http://tinyurl.com/2lm45w

Looks pretty cool, good price point too.

Competition is always a good thing!

Ish
Aug 27, 2007, 10:20 AM
Please don't let it be changing the iPod nano to the iPod dumpy!!!!!! :eek:

wolfpackfan
Aug 27, 2007, 10:43 AM

As much as I would like this kind of device, I really don't think we will see it happen. The main reason being Apples contract with AT&T. This is a long term contract and you're not dealing with a bunch of dummies. I bet there are all kinds of clauses in there that will keep Apple from selling an iPhone like device without the phone part. I bet the new iPod Touch will be very similar in look and feel to the iPhone BUT will only include the iPod like functions. No WiFI, no Safari, no email, etc. It will have the iPod and Photo functions only. I'm imagining the price around $349 and $399 depending upon disk size. Then the new Nano Video will replace the existing 5.5G iPod in the price line. I would not be surprised if they keep selling the existing Nano and Shuffle as they are. Just my opinion.

madmaxmedia
Aug 27, 2007, 11:07 AM
Apple aren't dummies either. There is no way Apple would agree to not release ANY mobile device with wifi, just because their cell phone that is being EXCLUSIVELY packaged with AT&T service.

Next thing you know, MacBooks can no longer have wifi either...

As much as I would like this kind of device, I really don't think we will see it happen. The main reason being Apples contract with AT&T. This is a long term contract and you're not dealing with a bunch of dummies. I bet there are all kinds of clauses in there that will keep Apple from selling an iPhone like device without the phone part. I bet the new iPod Touch will be very similar in look and feel to the iPhone BUT will only include the iPod like functions. No WiFI, no Safari, no email, etc. It will have the iPod and Photo functions only. I'm imagining the price around $349 and $399 depending upon disk size. Then the new Nano Video will replace the existing 5.5G iPod in the price line. I would not be surprised if they keep selling the existing Nano and Shuffle as they are. Just my opinion.

SactoGuy18
Aug 27, 2007, 11:09 AM
The Sansa Clip and the new Creative Labs ZEN Stone Plus are actually not bad players if you want basic functionality in terms of a portable music player. I have this feeling that Apple will respond with new 1 GB and 2 GB shuffle models that will sport a small display so you can at least see time elapsed, song title and battery charging status that will sell for US$70 for the 1 GB version and US$100 for the 2 GB version.

rbroady
Aug 27, 2007, 11:13 AM

dude wifi has nothing to do with at&t

wolfpackfan
Aug 27, 2007, 12:20 PM
dude wifi has nothing to do with at&t

No but a device that has everything in it except for the phone part has everything to do with AT&T. I just don't think you will ever see that device in an Apple store. At least not in the next year or so. I'd love to have one - but just being realistic. As it is, going with an iPhone with a year and a half left on my Sprint contract is going to cost me an arm and a leg. If I could get an iPhone sans the phone, I'd jump on it in the blink of an eye. But I really don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. I guess/hope we see next week. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Don Bagles
Aug 27, 2007, 01:56 PM
At least one of the new iPod models (most likely the most expensive one), will have Wi-Fi.

Like I said, i'm not kidding when I say that this new iPod won't dissapoint anybody.

MacBook's have Safari and Wi-Fi. Why can't iPods?

Andrew07
Aug 27, 2007, 03:14 PM
Are there any iTunes rumors associated with this upcoming release? Perhaps new movies/shows, or the ability to rent them?

Joedy
Aug 27, 2007, 03:31 PM
One thing that I have not seen mentioned in the massive and many threads concerning the new iPod Touch is that if Apple would release a model that did not have a speaker and a microphone built into the unit, there is no way that WiFi capabilities on the iPod Touch will cannibalize the existing iPhone market.

I can live without the clickwheel, but I only ask for widescreen and WiFi on the next iPod.

I seriously hope that I am not setting myself up for disappointment.

The last two Apple announcements have been very disappointing to me.

Steve Jobs said that the iPhone is, "the best iPod that we've ever made." I hope that this isn't the case when the next iPod generation is released.

-joedy

zeppiecr
Aug 27, 2007, 03:52 PM
Perhaps an :apple:TV announcement as well, rentable movies...who know's. Maybe subscribe to a TV show...who knows.

SactoGuy18
Aug 27, 2007, 04:50 PM
At least one of the new iPod models (most likely the most expensive one), will have Wi-Fi.

Like I said, i'm not kidding when I say that this new iPod won't dissapoint anybody.

MacBook's have Safari and Wi-Fi. Why can't iPods?

Because given the tepid reception to the Microsoft Zune with its Wi-Fi capability and serious concerns about possible hacker damage to the player through a Wi-Fi connection, Apple will not introduce Wi-Fi on a higher-end iPod model.

TaKashMoney
Aug 27, 2007, 04:58 PM
SactoGuy,

they already have... its called wifi on the iPhone. Check it out @ www.apple.com

Its really cool technology and Apple released it on a mobile device despite what Microsoft may have failed at. Apple released the iphone a few months ago. Weird!

Don Bagles
Aug 27, 2007, 05:07 PM
SactoGuy,

they already have... its called wifi on the iPhone. Check it out @ www.apple.com

Its really cool technology and Apple released it on a mobile device despite what Microsoft may have failed at. Apple released the iphone a few months ago. Weird!

Excellent sarcasm.

CWallace
Aug 27, 2007, 05:43 PM

Because hackers will quickly make it able to place and receive calls over the Internet and you'll be able to get your mail on it and do everything you can with an iPhone plus enjoy a boatload more storage to boot. At that point, why buy an iPhone? Just get a cheap-arse cellular for those places you don't have WiFi access.

I just don't see Apple, in less then two months, killing the iPhone that way.

Now, Apple might be able to restrict the RAM to the bare minimums that would prevent anyone from "extending" the iPod's capabilities via Safari applets or hacks, but seeing how far and how fast the hacking community has come with the iPhone (I fully expect to be able to run Photoshop CS3 on it by Christmas), I'm not sure Apple wants to take that chance...

I'm thinking $499 for the top end, just to keep people from deciding to buy an iPhone for the same ($599) price and live with the lower storage (Smart Playlists are wonderful things, after all).

hatcher146
Aug 27, 2007, 07:42 PM
so when do you think we will know if there is an event on september 5th? next couple of days....or the day before?

homeboy
Aug 27, 2007, 07:49 PM
so when do you think we will know if there is an event on september 5th? next couple of days....or the day before?

I thought of the samething today. 5th is barely a week away and if Apple is to hold an event that day they should be announcing it either today or on Wednesday tomorrow.

Then again they can announce it on Friday if they want to, it's not like people won't show up in case of a short notice. :D:apple::D

hatcher146
Aug 27, 2007, 08:07 PM
I thought of the samething today. 5th is barely a week away and if Apple is to hold an event that day they should be announcing it either today or on Wednesday tomorrow.

Then again they can announce it on Friday if they want to, it's not like people won't show up in case of a short notice. :D:apple::D

haha very true. i myself am VERY excited about the upcoming iPod. i cant WAITTTT. i really hope its early september (5th) rather than later in the month. even if they announce it early then ship it later i dont care....just the anticipation is buildinggg. i want to know the specs, if its sexy or not, wifi or not, storage, all that stuff. i just cant wait!!! my old iPod is killing me. hurry up apple :p:apple::p

Don Bagles
Aug 27, 2007, 08:09 PM
I'm selling my 40GB iPod photo to my mom when these new ones come out. I figure $150 is a fair price, considering it's in perfect condition, with a solid battery, and in the original box with all accesories and stuff.

CWallace
Aug 27, 2007, 08:10 PM
Well it is likely Apple would have already sent out invitations (electronic or regular mail), so they may very well be waiting for Paris Expo which, frankly, makes sense to me since the "one more thing" after the iPod keynote can be the launch of the iPhone in the EU/UK.

padmasana
Aug 27, 2007, 08:18 PM
I'm selling my 40GB iPod photo to my mom when these new ones come out. I figure $150 is a fair price, considering it's in perfect condition, with a solid battery, and in the original box with all accesories and stuff.

$150? She's your mom. Give it to her.:)

Don Bagles
Aug 27, 2007, 08:25 PM
$150? She's your mom. Give it to her.:)

We're both American Citizens. I paid Apple for the iPod. Why should I give it to her for free?

coryetzkorn
Aug 27, 2007, 11:39 PM
If the iPods come out on the 5th will they be available the same day, day after, or when? Historically I think iPod have been announced and have become available 3-5 days later. Any guesses based on the past iPod launches? Do Apple stores ever receive product shipments before a product is announced?

I am extremely excited about the new iPod. If it has wifi, I plan on buying ASAP, regardless of price. Please Apple!!!!! You can do it, I know you can!:o

madmaxmedia
Aug 28, 2007, 01:27 AM
Being that the 5th is only a week away and we still haven't heard anything, I normally would have drawn the same conclusion.

But if they were gonna introduce new iPods in late September, I don't think they would have let stocks run out in late August. I don't remember for sure, but I don't recall iPod stock being completely cleared out like this before at so many big retailers. So I'm still guessing sooner than later, and Ars seemed pretty sure of their source.

Well it is likely Apple would have already sent out invitations (electronic or regular mail), so they may very well be waiting for Paris Expo which, frankly, makes sense to me since the "one more thing" after the iPod keynote can be the launch of the iPhone in the EU/UK.

dalvin200
Aug 28, 2007, 02:32 AM

it's usually (i think) a week before the event - so if the event is on weds 5th sept, then hopefully an announcement/invite will be sent out tomorrow - weds 29th aug...
but it's up to Apple really (obviously) :)

P.B.
Aug 28, 2007, 02:47 AM
We're both American Citizens. I paid Apple for the iPod. Why should I give it to her for free?

I'm not sure whether i should feel sorry for you or for your mom...

Don Bagles
Aug 28, 2007, 02:53 AM
I'm not sure whether i should feel sorry for you or for your mom...

Feel sorry for either one of us. Our happiness doesn't depend on what you think.

rbroady
Aug 28, 2007, 07:00 AM
in reality, an ipod with wifi for internet is just not going to happen.

During the iphone keynote it was made clear how a the iphone intgrates a "revolutionary phone", "widescreen ipod", and "breakthrough internet device" and how those are three different things

yes we see all three of those on the iphone, but its becouse we already have for a while now....apple just did it better.

i think they might release an ipod style internet device later down the road, but not now

give me widescreen, bluetooth, and a 120gb drive and i am set

Padraig
Aug 28, 2007, 08:05 AM
in reality, an ipod with wifi for internet is just not going to happen.

During the iphone keynote it was made clear how a the iphone intgrates a "revolutionary phone", "widescreen ipod", and "breakthrough internet device" and how those are three different things

yes we see all three of those on the iphone, but its becouse we already have for a while now....apple just did it better.

i think they might release an ipod style internet device later down the road, but not now

I was just about to post the very same point. While there may be a small chance that the iPod will have wi-fi, I believe that it would be restricted to sharing music etc.

Steve could still claim that a wi-fi less iPod is the best iPod yet, as internet features belong to a totally separate class of device.

CWallace
Aug 28, 2007, 08:19 AM
But if they were gonna introduce new iPods in late September, I don't think they would have let stocks run out in late August. I don't remember for sure, but I don't recall iPod stock being completely cleared out like this before at so many big retailers.

Maybe so many people were scared off by the pics of the new "iPod Squat" that they all ran out and bought 5.5Gs and Nanos. :p

give me widescreen, bluetooth, and a 120gb drive and i am set.

Sounds good to me. Bluetooth would allow device pairing for sharing and data-transfer and it then Apple can enable this functionality on the iPhone, as well, which I would welcome.

rbroady
Aug 28, 2007, 08:30 AM
Maybe so many people were scared off by the pics of the new "iPod Squat" that they all ran out and bought 5.5Gs and Nanos. :p

Sounds good to me. Bluetooth would allow device pairing for sharing and data-transfer and it then Apple can enable this functionality on the iPhone, as well, which I would welcome.

i mainly want bluetooth for wireless headphones, theres no reason for wired heaphones anymore, the only problem is you would have to charge them??

oh and i forgot to meantion i want 1080p on that screen:D

Rhosfelt
Aug 28, 2007, 08:51 AM
I really hope full screen iPods are going to be released, because I have a 60GB and I am very happy with it, but I'd be willing to buy a new full screen.

However, if they are not released I'll probably get an iPhone for christmas :).

Rhosfelt
Aug 28, 2007, 08:53 AM

lol 120GB is more than most people have in their laptops. Don't get me wrong, i'd love to album scroll through all of my music, TV shows, and movies. But is that really going to happen with this next release?

Chris Bangle
Aug 28, 2007, 09:11 AM
If it is an EVENT, then we should expect invites today or tomorrow..

Also Apple apparently worked with Jaguar on the New XF.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_official_picture.php?sid=964&page=5

END OF FIRST PARAGRAPH

"We have been working with Apple on control interfaces"

No word from apple about this yet. Oh yeh and itunes movies and films in UK are most probably definite for the 5th

mrfrosty
Aug 28, 2007, 09:12 AM
The event WILL happen........and it will be to launch the Powerbook G5

pebbles
Aug 28, 2007, 09:18 AM
I find it very interesting that stores are running low on 5.5 iPods. I've never seen such a shortage across the board, like there is now.

I did a quick search at circuitcity.com and bestbuy.com and neither have 80GB iPods available online. (Also, amazon.com itself does not have any in stock, but its partners do.)

Paired with the numerous reports of store shortages, I find that extremely encouraging that this rumor may be true and we will be seeing a new iPod on the 5th, or soon after.

ABM
Aug 28, 2007, 09:27 AM
Maybe they will use IFA (Aug 31st - Sept 05th) in Berlin to announce? Who knows?
European iPhone announcement is although rumored on Sept 05th. Just one more thing...?

Can anyone check Steve's flightplan please.

rbroady
Aug 28, 2007, 09:48 AM
what are the chances that apple could have the FCC keep something behind closed doors before they anounce it, has something like that ever happened?

~Shard~
Aug 28, 2007, 09:54 AM
The event WILL happen........and it will be to launch the Powerbook G5

Please, don't be that guy... :rolleyes:

:p :cool:

elcid
Aug 28, 2007, 09:54 AM
Maybe they will use IFA (Aug 31st - Sept 05th) in Berlin to announce? Who knows?
European iPhone announcement is although rumored on Sept 05th. Just one more thing...?

Can anyone check Steve's flightplan please.

Apple is big enough they dont need a convention that isnt their own to announce stuff at. They can send invitations on a Sunday and have a convention center packed by Tuesday.

what are the chances that apple could have the FCC keep something behind closed doors before they announce it, has something like that ever happened?

Why would they need the FCC to keep something quiet? Every device has to comply with their rules, and they will be using WiFi (hopefully) which is a standard. I am not aware of devices needing to be registered with the FCC like a patent. Not to mention I doubt Apple would bribe the FCC.

jamesmay
Aug 28, 2007, 10:20 AM
I don't know if it would be related, but when i was in the Bluewater (UK) store today there was a member of staff measuring the window space. Its time they had new displays in the windows, the apple tv and genius bar ones got pretty boring. Maybe New Imac one side and iphone/ipod the other....

Still no wireless keyboards......

Chris Bangle
Aug 28, 2007, 10:36 AM
I don't know if it would be related, but when i was in the Bluewater (UK) store today there was a member of staff measuring the window space. Its time they had new displays in the windows, the apple tv and genius bar ones got pretty boring. Maybe New Imac one side and iphone/ipod the other....

Still no wireless keyboards......

Since when did James May know how to use a computer. He maybe able to fly an aircraft but using a mac, im shocked. Im also shocked at the fact that James May goes to Bluewater. He'd get lost in John Lewis, This is all too much.. You cant be the real James May....

Anyway i think iphone EU announcement at this convention in Berlin or both EU iphone and itunes movies/shows EU ones on the 5th. I dont feel to confident about the 31st anymore.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_official_picture.php?sid=964&page=5

Anyway if you are the real James May you will find this interesting... Apple and Jaguar working together apparently.

ordo1980
Aug 28, 2007, 10:53 AM
So this is my first post to the forum here, I just got a video iPod for my b-day ... 8/11, the 30gb model. I bought it from Best Buy ... 30 day return policy, should I take it back and just give a crap excuse and get a refund and wait? I'm all about the iPod and am also wanting to get a Macbook this Winter around Christmas time. But my most immediate concern now is what I do with the iPod I just bought, refund fellas? Advice and thoughts appreciated...

slabwax
Aug 28, 2007, 12:00 PM
ordo1980,

I would take it back if i were you. That is IF you don't need one right now. It may not be the 5th or the 11th but it's just around the corner. Hold out if you can.

Dean

ordo1980
Aug 28, 2007, 12:15 PM
yeah, that's what I was thinking. I don't really need it right now. I could live without it. I'm a bit ambivalent about my purchase as it is, I wanted something to go running with, and I learned recently, after the fact, that the video ipod will skip since it's a HDD, makes sense, just never thought about it. And I know the Nano is the joggers iPod but it's not enough space. I like the 30gb, I want a long-term solution space-wise, but something good for jogging. but the current Nanos are not big enough capacity. I really didn't know the different between them (HDD vs. flash), as I never owned an iPod until now. My brother has a video iPod and told me to get that one, but didn't tell me about the skipping issue if you run with it. That is correct, yes? I won't use my iPod for anything other than music really, the fact that it plays video means nothing to me, I just need music storage. I have a lot of music and want something that will, as I said, be a long-term solution, so that's why I favored the video iPod, for only its storage capacity being superior to the current Nanos. I could see filling up a Nano real quick, within a year or whatever. Do you guys think the new Nanos will have larger capacity? Any guesses as to how much and at what price point? Just wondering if you guys have any educated guesses based on the rate of past iPod updates, I know hardly anything about past iPods since this is my first one. Any comments or thoughts are appreciated, you guys are awesome, good discussion.

Yateball
Aug 28, 2007, 12:55 PM
yeah, that's what I was thinking. I don't really need it right now. I could live without it. I'm a bit ambivalent about my purchase as it is, I wanted something to go running with, and I learned recently, after the fact, that the video ipod will skip since it's a HDD, makes sense, just never thought about it. And I know the Nano is the joggers iPod but it's not enough space. I like the 30gb, I want a long-term solution space-wise, but something good for jogging. but the current Nanos are not big enough capacity. I really didn't know the different between them (HDD vs. flash), as I never owned an iPod until now. My brother has a video iPod and told me to get that one, but didn't tell me about the skipping issue if you run with it. That is correct, yes? I won't use my iPod for anything other than music really, the fact that it plays video means nothing to me, I just need music storage. I have a lot of music and want something that will, as I said, be a long-term solution, so that's why I favored the video iPod, for only its storage capacity being superior to the current Nanos. I could see filling up a Nano real quick, within a year or whatever. Do you guys think the new Nanos will have larger capacity? Any guesses as to how much and at what price point? Just wondering if you guys have any educated guesses based on the rate of past iPod updates, I know hardly anything about past iPods since this is my first one. Any comments or thoughts are appreciated, you guys are awesome, good discussion.

Although what you're saying about the HDD skipping makes sense, I run with my 80gb iPod video and it's never skipped once... so that really shouldn't be an issue.

The new iPods are close though, so if a full screen one is appealing to you then yea, definately wait

elcid
Aug 28, 2007, 01:03 PM
I wanted something to go running with, and I learned recently, after the fact, that the video ipod will skip since it's a HDD, makes sense, just never thought about it.

Now I have a 3g iPod but I would imagine this is the case for the 5g too. The iPod doesnt skip. The HDD is not running continously, just like it doesnt in your computer. It will read the next few songs into RAM and shut the hdd down.

I have a lot of friends who go running with their ipod. If it skipped I would have just bought a discman and saved 200 bucks!

i0Nic
Aug 28, 2007, 01:03 PM
shuffle + new ipod.

Mysrt
Aug 28, 2007, 01:34 PM

First off you should take back the ipod because you got it from best buy and not apple. Even if you want to keep the 30 gig, take it back and buy it from Apple. Apple has better customer service imo.

Aside from that point i would definitely wait for the new ipods, and also you should use some punctuation on your forum posts, seeing a block of words like that is just painful. So forgive me if i didn't read everything you wrote.

ordo1980
Aug 28, 2007, 02:04 PM
Well, what is so bad about Best Buy!?!?? What makes Apple so better?? The warrantly I think was less and lasted longer with Best Buy. If I take it back I hope I can get a warranty refund on it too!! I got the 3-year warranty for it.

How much do you think the new iPods will be, the ones coming out?? I got mine from best buy for $250, do you think the newer iPods are gonna be ridiculous, with entry prices at like $350??

What's the past pricing been like on updates with the iPod? Anyone know? It seems that the cost of the Macbooks stays the same when they do revisions, you just get a better product at the same price so Apple keeps up with the competition, so what about iPods? do they jack them up at first instead though and then cool the prices off after a while? I'd be pissy to get a refund at $250 and then have to shell out $350/400 for one of the new ones. No good!!

PS: are any pictures anywhere online at all credible or are they just someone's photoshopping imagination/pipedreams? You guys seriously think a touchscreen iPod is coming? Won't that be waaaaay $$$$$$ ?? And for all you runners with the video iPod, do you wear an armband or whatever or just pocket it? My old running mp3 player was just a tiny, light iRiver (now broken, big surprise), but i just used to put it in my pocket and go. Does that work for you guys with the video iPod? ...cuz it really doesn't seem that heavy

Evangelion
Aug 28, 2007, 02:09 PM
Because hackers will quickly make it able to place and receive calls over the Internet and you'll be able to get your mail on it and do everything you can with an iPhone plus enjoy a boatload more storage to boot. At that point, why buy an iPhone?

Because if someone needs a cell-phone (and that's just about everyone these days), a frigging mp3-player (even one with WiFi) with ZERO cell-phone functionality is not a valid alternative, even if it had 1 terabyte of storage?

Just get a cheap-arse cellular for those places you don't have WiFi access.

So, instead of one elegant device, you would have two devices, one of them being cheap and crappy?

I just don't see Apple, in less then two months, killing the iPhone that way.

How exactly would mp3-player kill a cell-phone? Can you make phone-calls with a mp3-player?

wuSHUMast3r
Aug 28, 2007, 06:12 PM
So according to Engadget, the 9/5 event is confirmed:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/28/its-on-apple-event-slated-for-september-5th/

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/appleinvite.jpg

ordo1980
Aug 31, 2007, 12:48 PM
So yeah, I too was looking around, circuit city, best buy, walmart, everywhere is sold out. It's gotta be coming out then on the 5th, I'm wondering what you guys think though, especially with your knowledge of previous iPod launches, will the new iPod be for sale on the 5th? or is it the Nano? or which model do you think will be available, if even on that day? Just curious as to what you guys might think or even better, know! :) I'm anxiously awaiting something big, I'm just not sure what it is going to be! Thoughts?

parrotheadmjb
Aug 31, 2007, 03:27 PM
if it comes out on the fifth then it will be on sale that day on apple's website and apple stores, and will be available 2-4 days later at retailers.