PDA

View Full Version : G4 Processor into a G3 Tower - Need Advice

mmathis
Aug 9, 2003, 06:25 PM
I have a blue and white G3 300 Mhz. My friend gave me the stock processor out of his G4 450 Mhz. Can I swap the G4 into mine without any problems, or are there other things that I must do in order to make it work correctly? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sun Baked
Aug 9, 2003, 06:36 PM
If it came out of the Yikes 450 (60x FSB), probably will work.

If it came out of any AGP G4 (MPX FSB), it is running a different FSB.

applemacdude
Aug 10, 2003, 11:48 PM
Don't you have to change the jumpers on it? Some info about overclocking it
http://xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/OC.html

mmathis
Aug 11, 2003, 01:35 PM
Thanks for you help, guys, but I opened the case today, and it doesn't look like it's going to work. The card that the processor sits on is connected to the motherboard differently on the G4. The only way it might work would be actually lifting the processor off of it's card, and grafting it onto my stock G3 card, but even if that were successful, i would be doubtful it would even work. Oh well, looks like it's time to order a G5!

rainman::|:|
Aug 11, 2003, 02:27 PM
Processors are not, and have not (since the early 80's) been interchangable on Apple computers. The only way to upgrade is to purchase an upgrade card, 3rd party... expensive, in other words. Never expect to be able to swap processors, it's something Apple doesn't think one should be able to do (they're right, for the vast majority of users)...

pnw

Mblazened
Aug 11, 2003, 02:59 PM
not going to work. Sell the card for $$$, g4 processors are worth money