PDA

View Full Version : Hottest day in recorded UK history!

edesignuk
Aug 10, 2003, 08:22 AM
I know, I know, the land of the rain...but not right now, we are experiencing something of a heat-wave at the moment, and today has broken the UK record!
From BBC Article:
The record for the hottest day ever in Britain was broken on Sunday as temperatures soared to 37.4C.

Recorded at Heathrow airport, it beat the existing record of 37.1C - recorded at Cheltenham in August 1990.

Topping 99F means bookmakers William Hill will have to pay out about £250,000.

Full Article. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3138865.stm) w00t! :D

edit: typo

Wes
Aug 10, 2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by edesignuk
I know, I know, the land of the rain...but not right now, we are experiencing something of a heat-wave at the moment, and today has broken the UK record!

Full Article. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3138865.stm) w00t! :D

I knew something was up when I could no longer hear myself think over my Powermac's many fans... Usually it just drowns out Heathrow, but this is a new level.

irmongoose
Aug 10, 2003, 09:14 AM
Damn, you guys have cool weather there, don't you?

Well, maybe not that cool, and maybe not any cooler than any country I've been in... except India. In Delhi it gets to about 45, 50 degrees every summer. You can't even step outside the house for any longer than 2 minutes.

irmongoose

Wes
Aug 10, 2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
Damn, you guys have cool weather there, don't you?

Well, maybe not that cool, and maybe not any cooler than any country I've been in... except India. In Delhi it gets to about 45, 50 degrees every summer. You can't even step outside the house for any longer than 2 minutes.

irmongoose

Yeah but I'd rather be in Saudi Arabia where I used to live right now, it's about 45 degrees at the moment. Over there everybody has AC, but in England, nobody does so we all burn...

irmongoose
Aug 10, 2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Wes
Yeah but I'd rather be in Saudi Arabia where I used to live right now, it's about 45 degrees at the moment. Over there everybody has AC, but in England, nobody does so we all burn...

You don't have AC?? Even everybody in Japan has one... and it never gets over 35 here!

irmongoose

edesignuk
Aug 10, 2003, 09:24 AM
You don't have AC?? Even everybody in Japan has one... and it never gets over 35 here!

irmongoose
Nope, I don't know anyone who has AC @ home. Offices tend have AC, but not many homes (none that I know, but there must be some). This kind of heat never lasts long, so it's really not worth the expense of an AC unit for just a few weeks a year.

iGav
Aug 10, 2003, 09:32 AM
I stupidly walked down our garden path barefoot yesterday.... :rolleyes: very, very, very hot I can tell you...

Today though, we're in a middle of a monsoon with thunder and lightning thrown in for good measure...

Oh the humidity is also stupidly high at the moment...

I can't wait for Autumn and Winter myself... :eek: ;) :D

irmongoose
Aug 10, 2003, 09:35 AM
Seems we're having similar weather, London and Tokyo. We had a huge typhoon (hurricane, cyclone) yesterday, and today it was blazing hot at 35 degrees. The monsoon season just ended about a week ago.

irmongoose

robbieduncan
Aug 10, 2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
I stupidly walked down our garden path barefoot yesterday.... :rolleyes: very, very, very hot I can tell you...

Today though, we're in a middle of a monsoon with thunder and lightning thrown in for good measure...

Oh the humidity is also stupidly high at the moment...

I can't wait for Autumn and Winter myself... :eek: ;) :D

You're not in London at the moment then? It hasn't rained all day. I'm finding this heat terrible. I know a couple of guys who bought portable ait con units last year. I wish I had now! I can't even sleep properly.

iGav
Aug 10, 2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by robbieduncan
You're not in London at the moment then? It hasn't rained all day. I'm finding this heat terrible. I know a couple of guys who bought portable ait con units last year. I wish I had now! I can't even sleep properly.

I'm in Coventry visiting family at the moment...

We're in the middle of what I genuinely believe is called a Monsoon.... absolutely tipping it down, incredibly humid, with thunder and lightning.... it's been going on for about 3 hours now.... :rolleyes:

Role on those crisp, clear frosty mornings of later Autumn...

Bring it on!! ;)

edesignuk
Aug 10, 2003, 10:12 AM
I'm in Coventry visiting family at the moment...

We're in the middle of what I genuinely believe is called a Monsoon.... absolutely tipping it down, incredibly humid, with thunder and lightning.... it's been going on for about 3 hours now.... :rolleyes:

Role on those crisp, clear frosty mornings of later Autumn...

Bring it on!! ;)
Wish I had some rain right now, I've spoken to Ensign Paris (remember him?) and he is in Yorkshire, apparently it's tipping down there also. Not a spot of rain where I am though, clear blue sky, and unabreable heat!

Wes
Aug 10, 2003, 10:18 AM
Wish I had some rain right now, I've spoken to Ensign Paris (remember him?) and he is in Yorkshire, apparently it's tipping down there also. Not a spot of rain where I am though, clear blue sky, and unabreable heat!

And you are out in the country Essex boy! Not in bloody London. We have a nice layer of car fumes keeping the heat in.:(

edesignuk
Aug 10, 2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Wes
And you are out in the country Essex boy! Not in bloody London. We have a nice layer of car fumes keeping the heat in.:(
heh, just outside the good old M25 m8, plenty of car fumes thanku very much :D :(

mymemory
Aug 10, 2003, 10:28 AM
Here in Caracas we have 23 C all year long, summer, winter, you name it.

iGav
Aug 10, 2003, 10:30 AM

The lightening has put on a fantastic display... but boy has it being raining, it's stopped now, but judging by the clouds in the distance, there's more to come...

It's just gone on for hours... crazy! I can't remember thunder and lightning ever going on for this long...

Of course I remember Ensign... how is he?? what's he up to?? (apart from hanging his head in despair after Schumi's luck in the last couple of races, exactly like I am!) :rolleyes: :p :p

NavyIntel007
Aug 10, 2003, 10:45 AM
It's been a weird summer in Florida as well. It's about 32+ every day with high humidity (which makes it even hotter) and it rains every freakin' day! Yesterday it rained all day. Sink holes are popping up all over the place. It's a weird summer.

edesignuk
Aug 10, 2003, 10:46 AM
The lightening has put on a fantastic display... but boy has it being raining, it's stopped now, but judging by the clouds in the distance, there's more to come...

It's just gone on for hours... crazy! I can't remember thunder and lightning ever going on for this long...

Of course I remember Ensign... how is he?? what's he up to?? (apart from hanging his head in despair after Schumi's luck in the last couple of races, exactly like I am!) :rolleyes: :p :p
Maybe the storms will work their way to me tomorow (I hope so, I'm @ work, don't wana be looking out @ a nice day).

Ensign's good. Don't get me stated on the F1, the new qualifying is a joke! Anyway, that maybe another thread ;)

Veldek
Aug 10, 2003, 11:47 AM
In Roth, Bavaria, it has been 40.4°. This has been the highest value since beginning of measuring temperatures in 1730!

And some private station in southwestern Germany even had 40.8°, but the measurement didn't follow international rules and hence wasn't accepted...

MrMacMan
Aug 10, 2003, 11:56 AM
Only 100.2 F ?

Comeon, that is your Hottest day Ever?

Give me a break!

In NYC we have hit Much, much hotter than that.

You people in the U.K have nothing.

edesignuk
Aug 10, 2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Only 100.2 F ?

Give me a break!

HA! To us this is boiling point! I can hardly move for the heat, and it has brought many problems with public transport, they are worried that the train rails might start to bend with any high speed trains, so speed restrictions have been put in place!

Wes
Aug 10, 2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Only 100.2 F ?

Give me a break!

And do you have AC's in your house? Try working all day in 95 indoors. :)

caveman_uk
Aug 10, 2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Wes
And do you have AC's in your house? Try working all day in 95 indoors. :) Those portable air con units they sell in B&Q are looking a damn tempting purchase when they next have some in (sometime in December probably :rolleyes: ) My next car is definately having aircon.
About an hour ago it got windy all of a sudden here. No rain yet but some pretty large clouds are going over. I like a good lightning show:D

Capt Underpants
Aug 10, 2003, 02:31 PM
I don't know if we woulkd be able to live here (texas) without Air Conditioning. It got to 109F a couple of days ago, and the heat index was more than that. I know that some places get hotter, but still.... That is really hot. Plus my stepdad works outside all of the time (he is a landscaper), which is pretty scary because we are always worrying about him getting heat exhaustion, etc. AC is a must here. Sorry I don't know celcius. Oh well.

Abstract
Aug 10, 2003, 03:15 PM
"Its getting Hot in Herre........"

robbieduncan
Aug 10, 2003, 03:41 PM
Thankfully the heat seems to be dropping a bit in central London at the moment. Max temp today (not in London, but in the UK) was actually 38.1 a full degree higher than the previous record.

With reference to the B&Q remark above I was actually in B&Q today and they had a big sign as you went in says that all Air Con and Fans were sold out. Maybe they'll get them back in stock in time for next summer.

Still we normally whinge about rainy, cool summers, so we should be happy with what we've got I suppose.

kiwi_the_iwik
Aug 10, 2003, 04:41 PM
It's actually not that bad - considering I spent 6 years in Sydney, where the average Summer temp. sat around 35 deg. C., and peaked around 45 deg. C.

Hell - I ain't complaining. I just spent the whole day inside plastering my lounge room wall. It's dry already... I'm thinking about putting in a new order for a replacement fireplace later this week - there'll be a sale on, I bet...

I'm not really looking forward going to work tomorrow though - all I'll be doing is covering stories all about how HOT it's got (and running around, carrying tons of heavy equipment in the process...).

:rolleyes:

rainman::|:|
Aug 10, 2003, 09:22 PM
Wow, no AC in the UK, learn something new every day. I'd die without AC, i remember having a window unit that my dad would faithfully install about a month after he should have, then take out when cold drafts started coming through :rolleyes: but i'm loving my central air right about now. Today was a beautiful 85F or so, perfect weather for the state fair. But between may and september here in Iowa, it can without much warning reach 105F, tho that doesn't happen often, we usually have at least a few weeks of about 100... high humidity.

it gets to really drag, but we use immigrant labor for most outdoor (farm/field) work during the summer. Kind of funny, considering all the local panhandlers are out in that weather anyway... ah, nevermind, it would never happen. some of those damn panhandlers live better than i do :rolleyes: :mad:...

what were we talking about?

pnw

MrMacMan
Aug 10, 2003, 09:26 PM
HA! To us this is boiling point! I can hardly move for the heat, and it has brought many problems with public transport, they are worried that the train rails might start to bend with any high speed trains, so speed restrictions have been put in place!

Hehe, yeah I suppose without the high speed railways your going to need to take the underground?

Originally posted by Wes
And do you have AC's in your house? Try working all day in 95 indoors. :)

Yeah I have an AC, but the power company in my area keeps bitching about using power, so I just use a fan.

And I have playied baseball in 105 F for 3 hours... omg... so... hot... *pant*

Jerry Spoon
Aug 10, 2003, 09:30 PM
I just saw this on a news report. In St. Louis we're having an extremely mild summer staying usually in the 80's (ferenheit of course). We'd usually see temperatures a good 10 to 15 degrees higher and hit 100 a few times.

Feel sorry for you with no air conditioning though. My father lives in Wisconsin and he says when they have a warm spell they're in the same boat. Very few have air conditioning there either.

Stelliform
Aug 10, 2003, 09:46 PM
I have never lived anywhere without central Air. But hey, I have never lived anywhere but South Louisiana. :D Also I have always had A/C in the car. (Well I drove a 15 year old Truck that the A/C broke in, but I eventually had it fixed. after a summer or two. (Getting to work sweaty wasn't cool. ;))

kiwi_the_iwik
Aug 11, 2003, 02:34 AM
Bloody hell - the brits are amazing.

They complain when it's cold, they complain when it's hot. They complain about the standard of television, the cost of petrol, who's in charge, who's NOT in charge, who SHOULD be in charge, who's running the country, who's running the football team...

Q:

So - how do you know when a plane full of english have arrived in the country?!?

A:

When the engines have stopped, the plane's still whining.

Wes
Aug 11, 2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik

They complain when it's cold, they complain when it's hot. They complain about the standard of television, the cost of petrol, who's in charge, who's NOT in charge, who SHOULD be in charge, who's running the country, who's running the football team...

Q:

So - how do you know when a plane full of english have arrived in the country?!?

A:

I am TIRED of hot weather. I have lived 15 years of my life in 40+ degrees. I loved it when it was snowing this winter.

iGav
Aug 11, 2003, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Stelliform
I have never lived anywhere without central Air. But hey, I have never lived anywhere but South Louisiana. :D Also I have always had A/C in the car. (Well I drove a 15 year old Truck that the A/C broke in, but I eventually had it fixed. after a summer or two. (Getting to work sweaty wasn't cool. ;))

You'd be surprised how many cars don't even come with A/C unless you're willing to drop the notes and have it fitted as an option...

Up until the mid-90's A/C only seemed to be fitted to high-end cars or was a loaded premium extra...

I'm with Wes on this one, it's too hot here at the moment, we simply don't have the infrastructure to cope, lack of A/C in public places, railway tracks warping, an antiquated tube that has zero ventilation on the older lines... We also have crappy heat, it's very humid, it's not like the heat you get in say California, I can handle that, but the last week has been so oppressive... also a chilled beer just warms up after a couple of sips in this weather.... :rolleyes:

I mucho prefer the snow, frost, fog, mist... bring it on.... come forth November... give it to me.... NOW NOW NOW!! :p

robbieduncan
Aug 11, 2003, 04:51 AM

Q:

A:

I am British but not English. Please don't assume that we are all the same!

tristan
Aug 11, 2003, 05:09 AM
For some reason, other countries just aren't into it like we are. Their loss, I think. :-)

Hey, when I was in Singapore (32C all year), they had room-by-room AC to save money. You'd have a little remote, and when you came into a room, you turned it on, and when you left, you turned it off. Saved a lot of money and worked pretty well, though you had to keep room doors closed all the time.

Anyway, feel sorry for you guys - hopefully the heat will break soon.

edesignuk
Aug 11, 2003, 06:04 AM

Thanku, we know! :D :p

When it's cold in this country we don't get the nice cold, clear with snow etc, we just get crappy weather, constant rain, gray sky’s, it's just miserable. Normally the heat is welcomed, but this year it is VERY hot and we are not equipped to cope with it (no A/C in homes etc). I couldn't care less about who's in charge, or not (football/government). And the TV fee I have no problem with. The fuel is another issue, the yanks would have a pink fit if they had to pay what we do!

ntg
Aug 11, 2003, 06:40 AM
It's actually not that bad - considering I spent 6 years in Sydney, where the average Summer temp. sat around 35 deg. C., and peaked around 45 deg. C.

..that's all well and good, but did you try working in Cairns at those temperatures?

Humidity sucks, without a nice coooool beer.....:D

ntg.

hvfsl
Aug 11, 2003, 08:01 AM
It was so hot I could not use any of my computers on Sunday (even my Macs were over heating).

However it was a lot hotter in Germany, in Kassel last week when I was there.

hvfsl
Aug 11, 2003, 08:05 AM

Dont forget about the the NHS which must be the most complained about thing in history. Maybe complaining is all the British can do now ;)

TEG
Aug 11, 2003, 09:31 AM
I will agree its hot.
I was in Michigan in June, moving out of my Apartment at College. I swear it was at leat 30c, with high humidity. We even broke 35 several times.
I drove across the US in early July, thank the maker for A/C, I would have died with out it. I passed ranges from 40c to 15c. When I went east in March, I passed through Wyoming where it was 30c, after comming through snow in Montana, it was a real shock.
Here in Portland, they broke 30c in early May, and we broke 38c (100f) a few weeks ago. Thankfully, today It won't get above 25c. A few days in the 70's will really help around here.

TEG
(Yes I'm a Yank, but I do use both systems interchangably)

kiwi_the_iwik
Aug 11, 2003, 04:12 PM
Sorry guys - didn't mean to touch a nerve, there...

;)

OK - what ELSE is there to bitch about in this fine land of yours?!?

Let's start a list...

By the way - did you know we have to pay over £100 for a TV LICENCE in the UK?!?!?

AND, if you're registered blind, you can apply for a £1.25 discount...

edesignuk
Aug 11, 2003, 04:29 PM
By the way - did you know we have to pay over £100 for a TV LICENCE in the UK?!?!?

Yes, and for that you get a quality set of stations, the BBC, with no adverts!!!! How many stations are there? BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC World etc. Radio 1, Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio 4, Radio 5, World Service, local bbc stations etc. All in all I don't think it's a bad deal at all.

edit: actually if ur serious about this, it should probably be a new thread, we don't want this one going totally off track.

and BTW, it was another bloody HOT day to day, approx. 35c!

edit2: worst of all, it's still around 25c @ 22:30! Argh! so humid, no breeze! Horribe trying to get to sleep in it :(

tristan
Aug 11, 2003, 04:44 PM
The TV tax! And they drive on the wrong side of the road! And what the heck's a quid anyway? Or a stone? Sounds evil and alien - the stuff of nightmares!

Gee, the UK must be the strangest land in the world! Thank god I'm nestled safe in my own country an ocean away from all that chaos and horror!

:-)

elfin buddy
Aug 14, 2003, 11:17 AM
I spent 4 weeks in the southern UK this summer (East Sussex, if you want to be specific), and it was a real shock! I was warned to bring lots of rain gear because of their 'rainy climate', but it only rained 4 days in the whole 4 weeks! In my opinion, there were only 5 or 6 days that I considered really hot (over 33 degrees Celsius), and the rest were all fairly nice between 25 and 30 degrees.

But then I went to Germany for 2 weeks....and that's a completely different story! Each and every day it was around 35 degrees, with some days nearly reaching 40! I think it rained thrice...twice monsoon-style and then again just a 15 minute light shower on another day...and it was still bloody-hot when raining! I was in southern Bavaria (near Munich) for most of the time, and spent a few days north in Sachsen. I am blown away by European weather! :D

Has it been this hot all over Europe this summer? I've heard about people dying in Paris because of the heat...

Backtothemac
Aug 14, 2003, 12:49 PM
Be glad that all of you don't live in Alabama. 2 years ago we had a heat wave where it was over 100 degrees F, for 21 straight day. With 100% humidity, so it felt like 130 with the heat index.

Our average summer days are normally around 95 - 100 degrees F with 95% humidity.

Gus
Aug 14, 2003, 02:53 PM
Come to Nebraska ladies and gents, then you'll get it all. ;)

100+ days in the summer, -10 in the winter. Tornadoes, hail storms, flooding, blizzards, icestorms, and occasionally, a nice 70 degree day. :)

I grew up in the south where it's always sweltering in the summer. I've heard people up north call southerners lazy because we move and talk slow. It isn't laziness, it's the humidty. :) ;)

Regards,
Gus

Backtothemac
Aug 14, 2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Come to Nebraska ladies and gents, then you'll get it all. ;)

100+ days in the summer, -10 in the winter. Tornadoes, hail storms, flooding, blizzards, icestorms, and occasionally, a nice 70 degree day. :)

I grew up in the south where it's always sweltering in the summer. I've heard people up north call southerners lazy because we move and talk slow. It isn't laziness, it's the humidty. :) ;)

Regards,
Gus

WORD! Have you ever seen the number of Tornados that occur in Alabama? Top 5 in the country. We just don't get as many of the big ones that you get out there.

Gus
Aug 14, 2003, 05:02 PM
Yeah, Alabama and Arkansas get hit quite often. Tornadoes are one of those things that quantity and quality don't matter. Either you get a few HUGE ones, or a whole crapload of smaller ones. Doesn't matter, same damage. ;)

Regards,
Gus

G4scott
Aug 16, 2003, 12:40 AM
Ah yes, the weather... I've had plenty of experiences with hot, humid, painful weather.

I live in South Texas.

Our averages are in the high 90's, and we can get well over 100, and that's in the shade. When there's no breeze, it feels even hotter, especially since the humidity sets in.

I've had to march outside, at 3:00 PM in a nice, thick, heavy, band uniform before. Not very fun. We've had people pass out before...

Our railroad tracks here (although not very well maintained), look like wet noodles drooped across ties... No high speed trains here...

As for air-conditioning... I always thought everybody had it. I mean, if you didn't have it down here, you'd die. People actually steal window units off of houses when it gets really hot. I remember going through New England on a day that the weather people claimed was 'really really hot', and I was like "this is hot?" But I was close to the sea, so it wasn't that bad, but when I went on a little hike to some mountain my uncle knew about, the humidity was terrible, and the mosquitos were awful...

Of course, right now, there's a tropical storm (with the possibility of becoming a hurricane) 130 miles off the coast, barreling right down on me, with a flash flood and tornado... Such fun. I had to dig a trench on the side of the house to get water to drain, because when the city re-surfaces the alley behind our house, they just add layer after layer of dirt and rock, and it finally built up where the water on the side of our house doesn't drain...

Of course, it's 88° right now, at 12:30 AM, and there's almost no wind, and partly cloudy skies... You'd never think that in about 2-4 hours, there'd be a hurricane right over us... It's kinda creepy.

But our area needs the rain badly. We haven't seen normal rainfall amounts for over 5 years (I think it's somewhere around 8.) That, and the bay on South Padre Island needs to be flushed out with a good storm surge. That hasn't happened in a long time, and a good flushing will make fishing in the winter a lot better.

It's a good thing this storm is fast moving... By noon tomorrow, this thing is supposed to be across the lower part of Texas. It's scary because many people live in mobile homes, or very poorly built houses, and they don't stand a chance against high winds and rain, much less tornadoes...

I just hope nothing terrible happens. I just better have my PowerBook charged, in case the power goes out. But then again, my cable modem would die too, so there's really no point... Oh well... I'll take pictures for ya'll.

MacViolinist
Aug 16, 2003, 02:00 AM
G4 Scott,
Best of luck with that hurricane. I am originally from Waco, and even that's not as bad as the weather in the south of Texas. I know what you mean about people griping about heat other places. I was in L.A. in May and people were griping about a deadly heat wave that was all of 80F. What a joke.

AllenPSU
Aug 28, 2003, 09:15 PM
Seems we're having similar weather, London and Tokyo. We had a huge typhoon (hurricane, cyclone) yesterday, and today it was blazing hot at 35 degrees. The monsoon season just ended about a week ago.

Is that a typical hot summer day in Japan?

irmongoose
Aug 29, 2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by AllenPSU
Is that a typical hot summer day in Japan?

Yeah. Well, in Tokyo at least. Today it was 33 degrees.

In the winter, you're lucky if it snows. But I guess it's still pretty cold.

irmongoose